Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #271 of 10282 Old 07-27-2006, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey thanks Kevin. I'm sure adding a sub will open up a whole new world I never knew existed but I'm trying to maximize the quality per dollar ratio of my toys. I've been talking about finishing my home theater room (the basement/man-cave) for so long I'm surprized my wife hasn't paid me to shut up already. Anyway, I've been patient thus far so waiting a bit longer for something I've never had seems ok . . . for now.

When researching receivers way back when I remember thinking "Oh, I'll never need more than a ProLogic receiver". Boy was I wrong. I never imagined 7.1, HDMI, switching, upscaling, latte making (trust me . . . it's only a matter of time), HDTV receivers.

So, do you think the RSLCR is the best match for the Silver 5i's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 10282 Old 07-28-2006, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Sorry, I didn't see this until today. I just used the Contact Us feature on the MA UK website.

No problem. How long did they take to answer you? I've been waiting at least 3 weeks now.

I thought I might as well ask the question here, in case any of you nice people know the answer: does anyone know the frequency at which the bass-only woofer on the RS6 is activated?
post #273 of 10282 Old 07-28-2006, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB2112 View Post

Hey thanks Kevin. I'm sure adding a sub will open up a whole new world I never knew existed but I'm trying to maximize the quality per dollar ratio of my toys. I've been talking about finishing my home theater room (the basement/man-cave) for so long I'm surprized my wife hasn't paid me to shut up already. Anyway, I've been patient thus far so waiting a bit longer for something I've never had seems ok . . . for now.

When researching receivers way back when I remember thinking "Oh, I'll never need more than a ProLogic receiver". Boy was I wrong. I never imagined 7.1, HDMI, switching, upscaling, latte making (trust me . . . it's only a matter of time), HDTV receivers.

So, do you think the RSLCR is the best match for the Silver 5i's?

Yes, the RSLCR is the best center speaker match for the silver line, very nice center I might say.

Since you haven't experienced a sub yet, and you want to add to the entire system, I would leave the sub out, for now, and get the updated receiver, center and temporary surrounds. Then when you get some more money, get the sub before upgrading the surrounds. Once you hear what you have been missing all this time, you will want to re-watch all your favorite movies
post #274 of 10282 Old 07-29-2006, 07:18 PM

So happy to find this thread!

I'm setting up a small (12x15) listening and HT room. Won't need a lot of volume, but value sound quality.

Thinking of MA Radius. Any experience or thoughts?

I also have a 15 year old pair of KEF C40 floor units I could use, but want to make sure the whole system works well together.
post #275 of 10282 Old 07-29-2006, 10:11 PM

You guys are great! Thanks for the input. I will get the center and upgrade my receiver.

Now does anyone have a recommendation for decent $500-$600 receiver that is a good match for a Monitor Audio Silver 5i's? Or is there not much differentiation between receivers in this price range?

I'm guessing my best bang-for-the-buck will probably be another Onkyo, a Yamaha, or a Denon as that is all I hear being talked about for under a grand.
post #276 of 10282 Old 07-30-2006, 08:02 AM

I see that the Harman Kardon AVR 635 is under $600 at B&H. I've been reading very positive things about this receiver (even some good things about pairing this receiver with Monitor Audio speakers). Anyone here using this receiver?
post #277 of 10282 Old 07-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:

Now does anyone have a recommendation for decent $500-$600 receiver that is a good match for a Monitor Audio Silver 5i's? Or is there not much differentiation between receivers in this price range?

I'm guessing my best bang-for-the-buck will probably be another Onkyo, a Yamaha, or a Denon as that is all I hear being talked about for under a grand.

FWIW, I have a Yamaha 2400 (120 wpc) powering my GR60's and I think it sounds great. I'm sure I can do better and will probably upgrade soon, but I've been quite happy with it's performance. I have a medium sized room and only listen at moderate volumes.
Good luck,

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #278 of 10282 Old 07-30-2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:

I see that the Harman Kardon AVR 635 is under $600 at B&H. I've been reading very positive things about this receiver (even some good things about pairing this receiver with Monitor Audio speakers). Anyone here using this receiver?

Before I upgraded my amp and MAs I was running an HK 635 with MA S8s. I thought the combination sounded very good.
post #279 of 10282 Old 08-01-2006, 06:14 AM

I just ordered the HK AVR 635. Now I'm off to find the MA center to match my fronts. Can anyone recommend a small, decent, and cheap (emphasis on cheap) pair of surrounds to get me by until I can get a decent pair? I'd like to stick with MA all around if I can. So I would need something inexpensive to use for a short while.
post #280 of 10282 Old 08-01-2006, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
What is the price point for cheap?
post #281 of 10282 Old 08-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

How much do the Monitor Audio RS8 retail for (pair) ??
post #282 of 10282 Old 08-03-2006, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Im thinking of trading my Rs6's& RS LCR in for GS10's and GS LCR. Any opinions on doing so?
post #283 of 10282 Old 08-03-2006, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRiS1 View Post

Im thinking of trading my Rs6's& RS LCR in for GS10's and GS LCR. Any opinions on doing so?

I was faced with this decision, and after a ton of listening, I chose the GR10 and GRLCR instead of the Rs6 and RS LCR. For me, the biggest factor was the Gold Center. It is one of the best centers I have heard.

I say go for it (assuming you have a good sub)
post #284 of 10282 Old 08-03-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyisc00l View Post

How much do the Monitor Audio RS8 retail for (pair) ??

$1499 per pair. But I believe most authorized dealers will give you a pretty good discount. At least the one here by me in San Diego does.

Mike
post #285 of 10282 Old 08-04-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipt_usa View Post

I can share this with you. Rega Apollo CDP/Prima Luna Prologue One integrated tube amp (35W) / RS6. Nothing to add about high/mid range, simply fantastic. Bass is the issue.

SYFC151 reported same issue of "lack impact/understated" or "lack of lower to mid-bass".

My room is 15 x 14.5 x 8 and the system is placed on a long wall with windows on one side and open the other. Floor is hardwood.

I am experimenting with speakers placement but so far have not found a satisfactory solution. Either bass is there but woolly or hardly there. Quite annoying!

Does anyone have any idea why and how to solve this?
I sure can use some help.
Thanks

Gee, a whole 2 weeks and no one wants to touch this question.
Is it because this is a "home theater" forum and most are interested in biggest bang for the money for car chases, explosions etc? I see plenty of HK, Denon receiver but not much 2 channel music. Or did the question somehow question MA as a quality speaker?

I am not trying to be smart, just want some straight honest exchange of ideas, experiences etc.

Cheers
post #286 of 10282 Old 08-04-2006, 08:08 PM
BMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipt_usa View Post

Gee, a whole 2 weeks and no one wants to touch this question.
Is it because this is a "home theater" forum and most are interested in biggest bang for the money for car chases, explosions etc? I see plenty of HK, Denon receiver but not much 2 channel music. Or did the question somehow question MA as a quality speaker?

I am not trying to be smart, just want some straight honest exchange of ideas, experiences etc.

Cheers

When I auditioned the RS 6, I also auditioned the RS 8. Between the two, the RS 8 had punch in the bass, while the RS 6 lacked it. I bought the RS 8. Later I purchased a HSU VTF 3 MK II sub. With the addition of the sub I would have been just as happy with the RS 6 and saved some money.
In the room I auditioned in there were Klisph, Energy and Focal JM labs. The RS 6 had as good a bass as any of the others.It could be your room, or that you like more bass than they'll give you.You may try a Sub to see if it helps. There are many that are in exspensive.
What reciever/ amp are you using?
post #287 of 10282 Old 08-04-2006, 08:12 PM
BMO

I see your amp now!
Maybee someone else can chime in on 35 watts being enough for the RS 6.
post #288 of 10282 Old 08-04-2006, 09:47 PM

philipt_usa: I've had the RS6s for a few months now and use them solely for music, and from the time I first auditioned them to today, I have found nothing lacking in their bass performance. Perhaps you're used to better speakers, or that particular room isn't suited to their acoustics? Have you tried different amps? Many people have been very satisfied with their bass performance. I have a feeling that it may be the combination of the amp and your room, being 'open' on one side, as you described.
post #289 of 10282 Old 08-07-2006, 09:09 AM

So it looks like it's an even split for the RS6 bass quality between BMO and JC Denton.
I am not a bass junkie nor am I used to better quality speakers, in this case it's like the bass is hardly there.

I have been researching this and found that is has more to do with room acoustics than the equipment. Over the weekend, I experimented with bass traps, and found that it does change the bass resolution. I have not built the traps yet, just put heavy thick cussion in all four corners, or alternatively moving between front and rear corners. In my case I found that putting them in the rear corners are most effective in dampening the bass waves coming back off the rear wall and affect the next ones coming from the speakers.

I am just wondering how many RS6 owners in this forum have experimented with this and could you share? Likewise how many have upgraded to more expensive equipments, inc adding sub woofers, to satisfy the bass requirements instead of looking at the root cause which could be the room acoustics?
post #290 of 10282 Old 08-07-2006, 12:55 PM
BMO

Treating your room with acoustical traps/panels is the best place to start for sure.
Another aproach you may try is a more powerful amp.
When I first purchased the RS-8 I was pushing apx 70 WPC. Later I added an amp to get me to 140 WPC.70 sounded good, 140 realy opened them up.They could should take 2x that I believe.
I now use my MA 8's for surround as I replaced them in the fronts with GR-20's. They, like the 6's are a single woofer design.They have plenty of base for most music I listen to. The sub rarely kicks in as I have the crossover set to 40.
post #291 of 10282 Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMO View Post

Treating your room with acoustical traps/panels is the best place to start for sure.
Another aproach you may try is a more powerful amp.
When I first purchased the RS-8 I was pushing apx 70 WPC. Later I added an amp to get me to 140 WPC.70 sounded good, 140 realy opened them up.They could should take 2x that I believe.
I now use my MA 8's for surround as I replaced them in the fronts with GR-20's. They, like the 6's are a single woofer design.They have plenty of base for most music I listen to. The sub rarely kicks in as I have the crossover set to 40.

I have S8's in front and am thinking about replacing them with the GR20's. How would you rate the overall sound difference between the GR20 and RS8 in your setup? My receiver is a Pio 56Txi which may or may not have enough power for the 20's.

Thanks,
Mike
post #292 of 10282 Old 08-08-2006, 10:30 AM

I have the opposite perspective in that I feel the bass from my RS-6's is sometimes overemphasized. I certainly have never thought they were lacking any in the bass department. Maybe it's a room issue, or maybe the RS-6s' bass just responds better to more power (I'm using a Parasound Halo amp at 250 wpc).
post #293 of 10282 Old 08-08-2006, 11:29 AM
BMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike N Ike View Post

I have S8's in front and am thinking about replacing them with the GR20's. How would you rate the overall sound difference between the GR20 and RS8 in your setup? My receiver is a Pio 56Txi which may or may not have enough power for the 20's.

Thanks,
Mike

The GR-20's opened up the soundstage, the bass is tighter.
I actualy paid less for the GR-20's than the RS 8's.
I love the sound of the RS 8's, but the Golds are the more transparent speaker IMO.

I am very happy with the RS 8's as surrounds, can,t see myself replacing them.
I listen to most CD's in 2 ch, but I do have quite afew DVD -A and DTS disc. The RS-8's blend beatifuly with the GR-20's. I do gfeelas my silver center doesn't match up as well as I would like though.Looking to replace it with a gold.
Nothernlight: I am looking to get a Parasound Halo.Whats your impression of it. I currently have the Parasound 1205 A.
post #294 of 10282 Old 08-09-2006, 07:50 AM

BMO--very happy with the Halo. Power to spare, very clean and very dynamic. I have the A51 powering 2 RS-6s, a RS-LCR and 2 RS-1s. Notwithstanding the low power ratings on the RS line, I do think they benefit from more power (also have run them with a B&K receiver).
post #295 of 10282 Old 08-09-2006, 08:38 AM

Northern Light, are you not concerned that the amp may be too powerful for the RS6, that's almost twice the power rating?
post #296 of 10282 Old 08-09-2006, 11:37 AM

philipt_usa: Not so far. I know that there are a number of threads around here where people have weighed in with differing views on whether speakers can be damaged by too much power or whether too little power is usually the culprit. I happened to have this amp before I bought the Monitors, having bought it for a prior set of speakers that was more difficult to drive. I don't listen at ear-shattering levels, but have never noticed the speakers to sound distorted or otherwise felt I had any reason to be concerned.
post #297 of 10282 Old 08-11-2006, 08:12 AM

Liked: 11
Guys,
I am about to be the proud owner of a pair of RS6's. I want to start using them a soon as possible. What is the best way to run the speakers in?
I looked on the MA site and they suggest wire one speaker out of phase facing each other at a average listening level for 4-5 days.
Does anyone have any other suggestions. I have been waiting 2 weeks for them to be delivered.
Regards

Egil
post #298 of 10282 Old 08-11-2006, 08:33 AM

Egil: that is technically the fastest way to run speakers in, but speaker run-ins are mainly to loosen the spider, and it will get all the run-in it needs after a couple of hours at the most.
post #299 of 10282 Old 08-14-2006, 06:15 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDenton View Post

Egil: that is technically the fastest way to run speakers in, but speaker run-ins are mainly to loosen the spider, and it will get all the run-in it needs after a couple of hours at the most.

Thanks for the Info.
Now for the bad news I have to wait a few days more for the speakers Grrrrr.
post #300 of 10282 Old 08-15-2006, 11:09 PM

What kind of amps do you guys use? I am getting a pair of GR-10's and wondering what amp would match up good with them. I was thinking of Parasound, B&K, or Rotel. Thanks a lot.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page