AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosarg View Post

Hi,
I have a Denon AVR-4806 CI receiver and I would like to drive with it five Monitor Audio GS60 (f/l, center, f/r, s/l and s/r) + a subwoofer. Denon specifies that it needs speakers with an impedance of 6 to 16 ohms and the GS60 has 6 ohms nominal impedance.
Is this going to be a problem due to excessive heat in the receiver or would it be within safe limits?
My listening room is not big, then I would not need high levels of volume and I could provide proper ventilation.

Any help? Ideas? I am a bit lost about the impedance issue....

You should be fine with the Denon. IIRC the GS60 is fairly efficient at 90dB which helps fill rooms.
I would just give the AVR some breathing room as 5 towers will definitely exercise it a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 10378 Old 03-19-2008, 06:51 PM

BTW, carlosarg:

You are driving the MA GS60s with the Denon 4806, not the other way around...lol...

no offense intended, just FYI
post #3063 of 10378 Old 03-19-2008, 06:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

Hey guys.I notice when I use my rs6 with my MH mmf5 turntable I get alot more speaker excursion.Cones moving in and out.With my rotel cd I hardly get any.The sound is killer and no distortion.Just alot of excursion with the TT.I like using the rs6 with covers off.Thanks

That's very typical with LPs and TTs. That's why they came out with "rumble" filters, also known as "subsonic" filters.

"I don't care if he's Mohamed "I'm Hard" Bruce Lee!" - Brick Top Polford: Snatch
post #3064 of 10378 Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAInMo9 View Post

BTW, carlosarg:

You are driving the MA GS60s with the Denon 4806, not the other way around...lol...

no offense intended, just FYI

Actually, he is correct as he said "I would like to drive with it".

"I don't care if he's Mohamed "I'm Hard" Bruce Lee!" - Brick Top Polford: Snatch
post #3065 of 10378 Old 03-20-2008, 07:22 PM

Oh haha didn't read his post carefully...sorry...
post #3066 of 10378 Old 03-21-2008, 08:35 AM

Trying to decide between Marantz SR7002 or Yamaha RX-V1800 to go together with my RS6, RSLCR, RS1 & RSCW12..
It seems like Marantz will perform better in music, less feature, and cost $200 more..
Yamaha appears to be a good all-around player w/ more features..
Anyone here has actually tried both player or the higher end model SR8002 and RX-V3800?
post #3067 of 10378 Old 03-21-2008, 07:04 PM

I am updating my home theater equipment and really am starting from scratch. The equipment will be a family room and will be used mainly HD TV and bluray and dvd watching. There will be some music listening but probably no more than 10 to 15% of the time. I have looked at and listened to the Radius line and was quite happy with the sound. I looking at a R270 for L/R, an R225 for the center and R90s for the left and right surround. Will probably use an Energy 10.3 sub. Later on I may use radius in ceiling speakers for my back surround (have to use the ceiling due to room requirements.) However, my dealer has a pair of demo bronze BR5s, and I can get them with the BR-LCR, BR1 for surrounds and BRW-10 sub for about the same price as the Radius speakers and Energy sub. Any recommendations?
post #3068 of 10378 Old 03-23-2008, 03:00 PM

I could use some help understanding when it is desirable or appropriate to use the GSFX's settings for the monopole and dipole options. And, more importantly, I could use some help in understanding how the 12v trigger is implemented and when & how to use it.

I am in the beginning stages of building a hybrid 2ch/5.1 HT system and found a great deal on a pair of GS60's and GSFX's along with the GSLCR. The speakers should arrive tomorrow (can't wait). Sub has yet to be decided upon.

The GSFX's will go up on the side wallsslightly higher than I would like so as to clear a couple of table lamps. Also, due to seating/room constraints I won't be able to mount them slightly behind or on axis with the listener's ear. They will be just slightly (about a foot) more toward the front of the room. My room is 14 x 23 (W x L) with cathedral ceilings (ughh). Mains will go along the short wall.

I've yet to purchase the electronics as I'm still doing my research. It seems a lot of folks here on the forums like the Integra 9.8, so I'd put that on my list of pre/pros to consider. However, I ran across a comment in one of the threads that said the Integra 9.8 doesn't have a 12v trigger.

I have a decent budget to use, so I'm actually considering separates, but the Integra 9.8 looked good none the lessat least until I read the above comment. (Not sure if it matters, but I'm also planning to add a 2ch preamp with a HT bypass later for 2channel listening.)

My question isshould I be looking for a unit that does have a 12v triggerand what exactly would I be missing if I used a pre/pro that didn't have one?

-Thanks
post #3069 of 10378 Old 03-23-2008, 04:46 PM

Re: the lack of 12V trigger. I have an Onkyo TX-SR805 (very similar to the Integra) that also doesn't have a 12V trigger. However, it does have a switched AC outlet. In conjunction with a PureAV PF600 power conditioner however, it works perfectly. The PF600 has a 120V AC trigger input that you can set to trigger any (or all) of 6 banks of 2 AC outlets on the PF600. It's pretty trick. The MSRP of the PF600 is like $600 but I got a new one for $200 shipped online.

There's a review HERE.

[IMG]http://www.***************.com/html/spotadmin/uploads/ful1_ap4130012.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.***************.com/html/spotadmin/uploads/ful4_ap4130012.jpg[/IMG]
post #3070 of 10378 Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Anyone know what I should be paying for a pr. of MA RS1's? We have no in-state dealers here in WA anymore, apparently, but I know of someone out of state willing to buy and ship me a pr. for $450+shipping (new). Does this sound like a decent deal? With ship it's only like 16% off MSRP... but, better than nothing I guess.

I need a pr. in Walnut for my rears (Already have the RS6's and RCLCR).
post #3071 of 10378 Old 03-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

Anyone know what I should be paying for a pr. of MA RS1's? We have no in-state dealers here in WA anymore, apparently, but I know of someone out of state willing to buy and ship me a pr. for $450+shipping (new). Does this sound like a decent deal? With ship it's only like 16% off MSRP... but, better than nothing I guess.

I need a pr. in Walnut for my rears (Already have the RS6's and RCLCR).

That's about as good of a discount as you'll see on MA products. I say go for it.
post #3072 of 10378 Old 03-24-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbradford View Post

Re: the lack of 12V trigger. I have an Onkyo TX-SR805 (very similar to the Integra) that also doesn't have a 12V trigger. However, it does have a switched AC outlet. In conjunction with a PureAV PF600 power conditioner however, it works perfectly. The PF600 has a 120V AC trigger input that you can set to trigger any (or all) of 6 banks of 2 AC outlets on the PF600. It's pretty trick. The MSRP of the PF600 is like $600 but I got a new one for $200 shipped online.

Thanks, Mark. The Pure AV unit looks interesting. I'll do a bit more research to see how something like this would fit into my system.

However, I'm still unclear about the 12v trigger option on the GSFX itself. Is this feature something that causes the speaker to become active at a certain sound level, or am I mixiing my apples with oranges here? Any other advice regarding the general use of the GSFX or their placement would be appreciated.
post #3073 of 10378 Old 03-24-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterman View Post

Thanks, Mark. The Pure AV unit looks interesting. I'll do a bit more research to see how something like this would fit into my system.

However, I'm still unclear about the 12v trigger option on the GSFX itself. Is this feature something that causes the speaker to become active at a certain sound level, or am I mixiing my apples with oranges here? Any other advice regarding the general use of the GSFX or their placement would be appreciated.

I use to own the gs series speakers and I personally like having the gsfx speakers set up in mono so that all the sound was coming straight out the front. But they were set up behind me.

The 12v trigger option on the speakers? not sure what thats about. Might be just a hand held remote like some subs have so you can ajust them from the sitting position The 12v trigger on my pre amp is used to trigger the amp, or some other equipment, on from standby to active and has nothing to do with the speakers.
post #3074 of 10378 Old 03-24-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybasil View Post

The 12v trigger option on the speakers? not sure what thats about. Might be just a hand held remote like some subs have so you can ajust them from the sitting position The 12v trigger on my pre amp is used to trigger the amp, or some other equipment, on from standby to active and has nothing to do with the speakers.

Hi Slybasil...sorry I wasn't the recipiant of your GS speakers like I'd hoped, but as you can tell, I've wound up with some none the less. They were supposed to be delivered today, but there was a mixup by FedEx. Hopefully I'll have them by tomorrow.

Your comments made me go back and read from Monitor Audio's site:

The GSFX is a completely new design from Monitor Audio. Its dual mode configuration (dipole or monopole) can be switched manually (front panel) or remotely via 12-volt trigger to accommodate a range of surround sound and multi-channel audio applications.

I think I may have been misinterpreting things. It seems clear now they are saying you have the option of remotely switching between dipole and monopole in the same manner as your preamp switches your amp on. Don't know how I glossed over that.

I would imagine once they are set to monopole or dipole, most users just leave them in one mode rather than switching between them. If that's the case, then my concern over picking a pre/pro that has such a feature is not that big a factor. I'm sure it will become clearer once I unpack them to look them over.

Thanks for your reply, and I hope you are enjoying your Platinums.
post #3075 of 10378 Old 03-24-2008, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Shutterman -

The idea behind having the switchable mode on the GSFX's is that you would use them as dipoles for movies and monopoles for surround music. In theory, you want a more diffuse sound for movies and the ability to create a rear "image" in music. However, in my experience, even with surround music, most of what is fed to the surrounds is ambiance and reverberation, so dipoles still work well for this.

Keep one thing in mind though, dipoles are only effective if used on the side walls, slightly behind the listening plane. If you have to mount the surrounds on the rear wall, monopole works much better. I'd be glad to explain why, but I will leave it at that for now.
post #3076 of 10378 Old 03-24-2008, 10:15 PM

I wanted to throw this out in the Monitor Audio thread. Don't know if this is the best place for the question, but here it goes...

My setup...

Fronts: RS8
Center: RSLCR
Sub: RSW12
Surrounds: RSFX
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V1700

Willing to spend... 10K
Will go audiogon/used

60% Music / 40% HT (Classic Rock, Mexican Pop, jazz, blues, WOLFMOTHER)

These forums have been invaluable in my understanding of audio, but inevitably lead to a serious upgraditis problem. If I never learn another thing from these forums, it has already been worth it. Advice given on here about room treatments, were spot on. After installing the system, it became apparent that room treatments were needed. I had fabric covered walls installed along with wood blinds. Spent more on the treatments than the speakers, and it was worth every penny. Rekindled my love of music.

On to the issue...

I would like to audition some new speakers. I really like the bass response that I get from the RS8's. Anything less would be unacceptable. Really didn't know what I was missing before. Two things that I would like improvement on are the soundstage and transparency. I really crave transparency in the mid to upper frequencies. I also would like a bigger soundstage from two channel playback. Imaging isn't really a priority for me. I use multi-channel playback on two channel CD's all the time... imaging goes to pot but I grin at the soundstage.

I am going to audition the GS60's, but am starting to think that something like the Dali Helicons may be worth checking out. This may be a stupid post. Cause I am basically saying that I want lots of bass, transparency, and a big soundstage. Basically, everything but imaging as long as it is semi-coherent. I guess I don't really care if the frequency response is all that flat. It is a good academic exercise and worthy of pursuit. For me, though it would just be a starting point to try and muck it up beautifully.

In any event, my decision is what to audition. Ribbons sound interesting. Is there an advantage/disadvantage with the ribbon vs. cone or dome? Specifically, as it relates to the RS8's or GS60's
post #3077 of 10378 Old 03-24-2008, 10:34 PM

hey hifisponge could you elaborate more on why monopoles would work much better than dipoles mounted on the rear wall? Because I am in that position (my couch is just a foot off the back wall) and am interested in why you think a monopole is better than a dipole in that situation). How would bipoles fit into this? Additionally, how would this apply to a speaker like the Bronze BFX (where only the tweeters are on the sides; the woofer is always a monopole essentially)? Thanks.
post #3078 of 10378 Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

ICrain -

If you *really* crave transparency in the mids and highs, electrostatic speakers are the way to go. But there are trade-offs of course. They really only create a stereo image in the sweet-spot, and you have to go with a rather large panel to get good dynamic capability out of them.

Ribbon tweeters will give you nice delicate highs, but they have little to do with the mids. I do like the Dali Helicon's though and would certainly put them on your short list.

The one disadvantage of a ribbon only tweeter is that they have very limited vertical dispersion. So if you like to listen while standing (parties, house work, etc), you may notice the highs sound rolled off. This doesn't apply as much if at all to the Dali's because they use both a dome and a ribbon.

I've owned both ESL's and the GS60's, and I have to say that the GS's do capture a good degree of the midrange magic of an ESL. Well they did in my system anyway.

The only other speaker I can think of that has good clarity like an ESL is a Revel. See if you can find a Performa F32 or F52 to listen to.
post #3079 of 10378 Old 03-24-2008, 10:49 PM

Sponge...

Thanks for the response. Good points. I have heard high end electrostats, and liked them fine. They missed that visceral punch that I do like in the RS8's. I wouldn't want to miss that. Sweet spot issue wouldn't work for me with the electrostats either. These will partly be used for poker nights. Was really thinking of a hybrid tweeter like the Helicons might provide a good compromise. For all I know, there are conventional speakers like the GS's which will do fine on these points. I would hate to just do the MA upgrade route and not be sure.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Lots of great stuff out there.

Just saw the Revel part. Will add those to the must check list.
post #3080 of 10378 Old 03-24-2008, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAInMo9 View Post

hey hifisponge could you elaborate more on why monopoles would work much better than dipoles mounted on the rear wall? Because I am in that position (my couch is just a foot off the back wall) and am interested in why you think a monopole is better than a dipole in that situation). How would bipoles fit into this? Additionally, how would this apply to a speaker like the Bronze BFX (where only the tweeters are on the sides; the woofer is always a monopole essentially)? Thanks.

No problem. A dipole is specifically designed to be placed to the side because the drives are oriented to fire to the front and the back. When you place them on a rear wall, they are firing along the back wall rather than out into the room. As a result you end up with a gap between the front and back soundstage.

The BFX's *may* work if that front facing driver is a mid/woofer because at least the all-important midrange would be firing into the room. Not optimal, but better than a true dipole.

Bipoles also work well on a back wall because they have a forward firing radiation pattern.

I've had three surround systems that only offered dipoles for surround channels, and because I have to place mine on the rear wall, every time the rear soundstage sounded disconnected from the front.

Oh, and with only a foot between you and the rear wall, try to create some distance between you and the speakers by placing them about 3 feet above the seated listening position.
post #3081 of 10378 Old 03-25-2008, 04:51 AM

I am facing 2 potential problems with my speaker placement due to room configuration..
Will the center channel suffer a lot if it has to be placed on top of the TV?
Also, the center speaker will be about a foot inside than the two front channel towers.
The other problem is I can only place the surround speakers on the back wall,
and it will be about 3 feet to the side then 3 feet to the back from both side of the sofa.
How high should I place the surround speakers and should I make them pointed at the center of the room?

My setup will consisit of RS6s for the front, RSLCR for the center , RS1s for the surround and RSW12 as my subwoofer..
post #3082 of 10378 Old 03-25-2008, 09:46 AM

ICrain,

How do you have your RS8's positioned and have played with their location at all?

The reason I ask is because I have the RS6's, and after playing with their locations for the past week or so, I have them dialed in so well that they literally disappear. They are very transparent and 3 dimentional with the soundstage spreading out well beyond my walls. If I could measure it, I would say the staging extends about 6ft out past the side walls, probably 10-15ft past the back wall and 2-3ft above the tops of the speakers themselves. Imaging is also excellent, well defined and lifelike.

Dynamics and transients are phenomenal when playing fullrange. For the past couple of days, I've been running them with my sub (SVS PB10-NSD) crossed over at 80Hz and they still sound great, being able to be pushed just a tad bit harder. Of course, with the sub dialed in just right, you can't even tell that there's a sub in the room. It's amazing because there's absolutely no seperation between the RS6's and the sub. It's just one large glob of finely tuned sound in front of me. I am in the present state of upgrading my sub to either the SVS PB12-Plus/2 or PB13-Ultra. Probably the Ultra just so I can the matching Rosenut and the fact that not only is it a bit smaller, but it's also their top-of-the-line unit.

I'd say, keep the RS8's and play with their positions. They are basically the same as the RS6's and if I can these to sound this good, you should be able to get close to the same performance.

BTW, I used to have Magnepans before, so I know the kind of sound you are searching for and I can honestly say that the RS6/8's can get you there!

post #3083 of 10378 Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 AM

hi friend,
i am in the mid of choosing between new BR2 or RS1.... if any of you audition these speaker before, please let me know which one has better "bass"? BR2 or RS1? BR2 has larger driver and also larger dimension compare than RS1...but does the bass feel stronger than RS1? in term of clarity, i believe RS1 outperform BR2..but what about in BASS department?
Thanks..
post #3084 of 10378 Old 03-25-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post

ICrain,

How do you have your RS8's positioned and have played with their location at all?

BTW, I used to have Magnepans before, so I know the kind of sound you are searching for and I can honestly say that the RS6/8's can get you there!

Anamorphic,

Thanks for the response. Glad to hear you have them dialed in. I love the bass and that part is dialed in very well for my ears. I have them about 8 ft apart and toed in just outside my seating position - 10 feet away. I have moved them around a bit, although not as much as I should. The midrange to me seems a little recessed - other than EQ, how to address that? Other than that, it is really just wanting more of what the speaker can already provide. The maggies (I assume) would have more of what I would like to hear more of on the upper end. I probably wouldn't trade the RS8's for them. I like the visceral feel of the RS8's as compared to ML's (Summits) or Genelecs that I have heard. Really don't like an overly clinical sound. If there is a way to squeeze out a little more from what I have, that would work too.
post #3085 of 10378 Old 03-25-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICrain View Post

Anamorphic,

Thanks for the response. Glad to hear you have them dialed in. I love the bass and that part is dialed in very well for my ears. I have them about 8 ft apart and toed in just outside my seating position - 10 feet away. I have moved them around a bit, although not as much as I should. The midrange to me seems a little recessed - other than EQ, how to address that? Other than that, it is really just wanting more of what the speaker can already provide. The maggies (I assume) would have more of what I would like to hear more of on the upper end. I probably wouldn't trade the RS8's for them. I like the visceral feel of the RS8's as compared to ML's (Summits) or Genelecs that I have heard. Really don't like an overly clinical sound. If there is a way to squeeze out a little more from what I have, that would work too.

You're welcome!

The biggest improvements for my RS6's was getting them away from the rear wall and toeing them out more. Right now, I have them (measured from the face of the tweeters) 42.5" from the back wall, 22" from the side walls, which puts them right at 9'5" apart from eachother, and me 9'10" in front of them. The way I have them toed in would put them crossing some 20-30+ ft behind me. IOW, measuring from the rear corners of the speakers to the rear wall, there is only a 0.75" difference between the two corners of the enclosures to the wall. Not very much toe-in at all.

For reference, my room is rather small at 13' x 17' x 8'.

I didn't go by Monitor Audio's recommendations of placing them and myself in an equilateral triangle, but after fine tuning there positions, it pretty much turned out that way. If you can, try moving your RS8's out a little further if possible or move your seat a little closer and toe them out further.

As far as the midrange sounding a little recessed, I'm not sure. Maybe repositioning them might help. I know mine don't sound recessed at all. In fact, they might be just a touch forward in the midrange, but just a touch. However some also say that the RS6's sound better than the RS8's in that area. I don't know, I've never heard the RS8's so really can't comment on it. Maybe that's what they were referring to.

post #3086 of 10378 Old 03-25-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Keep one thing in mind though, dipoles are only effective if used on the side walls, slightly behind the listening plane. If you have to mount the surrounds on the rear wall, monopole works much better. I'd be glad to explain why, but I will leave it at that for now.

Thanks, Tim. I know you've moved on to the Focals (have they arrived yet?) so I think it's nice that you still drop in here to share what you know of the MA line with folks.

The GSFX's will go up on the side walls, slightly higher than I would like, and unfortunately, because of certain seating/room constraints, they will have to go slightly forward (about a foot) of the listening plane axis. I think the GSFX's front facing drivers are supposed to have reasonable dispersion characteristics, but probably not enough to allow me to use them in mono mode too well. I'll probably just set them to dipole and forget it.

By the waydid you ever own the Monitor Audio Sub? I'm thinking of adding the GSW12 (or even a pair of them), but I've found precious little in terms of user's experience and/or reviews. And to top it offI'm not sure where I would buy one. The only dealer close to me is an integrator three towns away. He says he rarely installs the MA line, and about all he knows about them is that he can call in a full MSRP order.

If someone has a line on where I might pick up a GSW12 (new or used), I'd sure welcome a PM. Any other alternative suggestions to a MA sub would be appreciated as well.

Oh yeah...wife just called...the FedEx man just delivered! Whoo-hooo. Can't wait to get home!
post #3087 of 10378 Old 03-25-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Shutterman -

As much as I like the MA speakers, I think you can do a bit better by going with a company that specializes in subs. The MA's are nice and tight and "musical" but they don't extend all that low. Putting them in a corner will help, but depending on your budget, I would look at Velodyne or JL Audio. If those are too pricey, then a mail order unit from SVS would be a good alternative.

I'll PM you with a dealer that can help you with Velodyne, JL or even MA subs if you want to go that route.

Oh, and thanks for the show of appreciation. I like to help out wherever I can.

Yes, I got the Focal's. You can see pics of my set-up in the link in my signature.
post #3088 of 10378 Old 03-25-2008, 01:09 PM

Thanks again, Tim. I responded to your PM prior to reading your post above, so my return PM may seem a bit disjointed.

Thanks for the honest appraisal on the MA sub. As I'll probably doing as much listening as movie watching, the musicality of a sub is definately a factor.

I took a look at your pictures...oh my! They look exquisite in your room! I'm sure you must be doing back flips even as we speak. Your whole setup is absolutely stunning.

Thanks again,

-Dean
post #3089 of 10378 Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 PM

Shutterman, if you're looking for a great bang-for-the-buck sub, the MFW-15 from av123 ($599 satin black finish, $699 for wood veneers) seems to be spectacular, especially for its price (and even w/o considering its price). I believe it is probably cheaper than the GSW-12; however it is much bigger seeing as it's a 15" sub. The finishes also seem to be very nice. You'd have to be willing to wait for quite a bit though; right now it's backordered till July (if you ordered now it would probably get to you at July or later). If you're willing to wait though, it seems like a good buy. Just my two cents.
post #3090 of 10378 Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 PM

Hey does the Monitor Audio Bronze system compare to the Energy C series or RC series (in terms of price and performance)?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page