Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 113 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #3361 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, they do look amazing, and I'm sure they sound amazing too. Keep the impressions coming Tim. When you listen to music, do you go two channel or do you have the surrounds on? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 71
A big Congrats Tim coming from a Focal guy . They look really good in those pictures. I hope that they can give you years of great listening enjoyment. Can't wait to hear maybe a bit more on what you think of them.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #3363 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post

WOW..Tim, your new setup simply looks amazing..two things jumped to my attention..
LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THE PL350C AND INTERESTING SPEAKER WIRE CONNECTION LOCATION ON THE PL300S..
I remember you used to put GSLCR in the center opening of your TV cabinet..
Can't wait for you to post rest of the pictures and hear your impression..

Yeah, that center speaker is massive. I wish it were a bit smaller, but it sure performs well. It's like having three PL300's across the front.

Please allow a little time before I get into my listening impressions. I want to make sure everything is just right.
post #3364 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kclone View Post

Yes, they do look amazing, and I'm sure they sound amazing too. Keep the impressions coming Tim. When you listen to music, do you go two channel or do you have the surrounds on? Thanks

I do music listening mainly in surround (which is why I bought the Lexicon processor), though I do some in plain stereo as well. When the channel levels and distances are dialed in, the Lex does an amazing job of creating a surround mix out of most stereo recordings and it does so in a very convincing way.
post #3365 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 11:33 AM
SeƱor Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

I do music listening mainly in surround (which is why I bought the Lexicon processor), though I do some in plain stereo as well. When the channel levels and distances are dialed in, the Lex does an amazing job of creating a surround mix out of most stereo recordings and it does so in a very convincing way.

Yes, the Logic7 is very cool. I miss it but went for the HD-Audio (DTS and DD) which if you haven't heard, you should.
Tim, if you change speakers again within the next six months, I'm going to call your wife (or SO) and suggest an intervention.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #3366 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 11:46 AM

Hi!

I'm looking for speakers to match my Parasound NC2100 pre-amplifier and NC2250 power-amplifier. Will Monitor Audio match Parasound? Sorry if this has been answered earlier, I have been looking through some pages here, but there are too many

Platinum looks awesome, but I think I will settle for RS or GS. Have been thinking about GS20, since I like the piano laquer finish and it is in my price range. What about GS60, does it require a large listening-room?

Haven't got a CD-player yet. A little bit unsure whether I should go for a NAS and DAC instead or not. The speakers must fit in a 20-25 square-meters(200-250 square-feet) living room. I listen to a lot of different types of music: Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, REM, Jose Carreras, Katie Melua, 80s, Metallica.. so I need an allround-speaker. I'm thinking of a stereo-setup now first, and maybe surround later, so the speakers must also work in a surround-setting. I've been thinking about Yamaha RX-V1800/3800 or Onkyo TX-SR805/875 surroundreceiver if I go for surround later.

By the way, english is not my mother-language, so don't be too cruel if my grammar is bad
post #3367 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonow View Post

Hi!

I'm looking for speakers to match my Parasound NC2100 pre-amplifier and NC2250 power-amplifier. Will Monitor Audio match Parasound? Sorry if this has been answered earlier, I have been looking through some pages here, but there are too many

Platinum looks awesome, but I think I will settle for RS or GS. Have been thinking about GS20, since I like the piano laquer finish and it is in my price range. What about GS60, does it require a large listening-room?

Haven't got a CD-player yet. A little bit unsure whether I should go for a NAS and DAC instead or not. The speakers must fit in a 20-25 square-meters(200-250 square-feet) living room. I listen to a lot of different types of music: Bruce Springsteen, Bryan Adams, REM, Jose Carreras, Katie Melua, 80s, Metallica.. so I need an allround-speaker. I'm thinking of a stereo-setup now first, and maybe surround later, so the speakers must also work in a surround-setting. I've been thinking about Yamaha RX-V1800/3800 or Onkyo TX-SR805/875 surroundreceiver if I go for surround later.

By the way, english is not my mother-language, so don't be too cruel if my grammar is bad

I use my GS60s with a Parasound Halo A23 amp, with all genres of music in a bedroom measuring 14' x 15' approx. I will probably move them into a larger room one day to let them breathe a bit but they sound good where they are.

I have them moved out into the room, 2' from the back wall and 3' from the side walls. The GS series is worth it if you can swing the cash. I had a set of RS6s before and liked them a lot as well.
post #3368 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

So I got the MA Platinum speaker set today, upacking, up to the final positioning of the speakers. . .

yeah, these speakers are some of the most beautifully made I've seen. Now I'm thinking of ways to prostitute myself to raise the cash to buy a set for myself

Quote:

the whole stack of speakers goes sliding off to the left and I make a mad dash to get them from crashing onto the pavement

yeah, you don't want those boxes to go "bonk" on the hard concrete, could be too much of a jolt (cause permanent damage). I know, on the GS-Series cartons, Monitor Audio has a warning statement printed: "If box is dropped on ground speakers are useless" (or something to that effect).

Anyway, these speakers should provide exceptional (high-resolution) sound-reproduction for many years...........
post #3369 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

yeah, these speakers are some of the most beautifully made I've seen. Now I'm thinking of ways to prostitute myself to raise the cash to buy a set for myself

yeah, you don't want those boxes to go "bonk" on the hard concrete, could be too much of a jolt (cause permanent damage). I know, on the GS-Series cartons, Monitor Audio has a warning statement printed: "If box is dropped on ground speakers are useless" (or something to that effect).

Anyway, these speakers should provide exceptional (high-resolution) sound-reproduction for many years...........

Wow, you are the second person to mention self-prostitution after seeing the MA Platinums. If you don't want to stoop quite that low, I could make you guys some signs that read, "Starving Audiophile. Will work for Platinums."
post #3370 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 02:27 PM

hey Tim

Whats up with those speakers? OMG. Why would you even want something so short and stubby looking. And that center... way to big. I hope they sound good because there is no accounting for taste. Maybe you can get a vertical stripe pattern speaker material and use it to cover the speakers. Might make them look taller. Oh well to each their own. But since you have them.... congrats. The little dogs are cute
post #3371 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Wow, you are the second person to mention self-prostitution after seeing the MA Platinums. If you don't want to stoop quite that low, I could make you guys some signs that read, "Starving Audiophile. Will work for Platinums."

Actually, I am just going to be working overtime like a madman until you get tired of your Plats, Tim. Hopefully, it won't happen too soon, because I need a lot of OT under my belt to justify those buggers.

Quote:

Hi!

I just got my GS60. I have a roughly 13x27x9.5 room that they are in (it's my dining room too) but when I first got them I had them positioned within a 13x13x9.5 space. I have since repositioned them to point into the larger portion of the room and I think the extra space is nice from a soundstage perspective. They sounded excellent the other way, but they sound world class with 7 feet of space between them. As far as Parasound goes, I cannot comment. I have a Sunfire 200x5 that feeds the GS. I have heard that Parasound is an excellent match to the Monitors, but I have no first hand experience. On the musicality side, since Friday when I got these, I have listened to Neutral Milk Hotel, Duke Ellington, Tribe Called Quest, M83, Portishead, Joanna Newsome, Nick Drake, Bruce Sprinsteen and some Brit Invasion. I would say they handle *everything* quite well. But the GS on vocals is where it's at. If you like well recorded vocal tracks, these are the ones to get, imo.

As far as CDP or NAV and DAC is concerned, I am in the same spot right now and trying to decide myself. I am personally looking at getting an Oppo 980H (170 new) or 970H (100 used) universal to feed my Onkyo PR885 through HDMI until I make my decision on NAV/DAC. I have heard the little Oppo is impressive through its analog outs, so no HDMI on your pre might not be an issue for you. On the NAV front, the Transporter by Slim Devices is *very* cool, but I do not know if coolness justifies its price. I am seriously considering one, especially if I can pick it up for 20 or 25% less than list. Good luck and keep us posted. I would love to have a NAV/CDP chat with someone.
post #3372 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybasil View Post

hey Tim

Whats up with those speakers? OMG. Why would you even want something so short and stubby looking. And that center... way to big. I hope they sound good because there is no accounting for taste. Maybe you can get a vertical stripe pattern speaker material and use it to cover the speakers. Might make them look taller. Oh well to each their own. But since you have them.... congrats. The little dogs are cute

post #3373 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

seeing the MA Platinums

am I confused here, are'nt there two Platinum center channel speaker models (ie. the 350C and another smaller or larger one)?
post #3374 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

am I confused here, are'nt there two Platinum center channel speaker models (ie. the 350C and another smaller or larger one)?

not yet, but a smaller center is supposedly on the way. It is supposed to be mated with the PL100's though. If you want true timbre matching with the PL300's, the PL350 is the only option.
post #3375 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
They look very very nice. I saw the pics of the Ebony finish, and Im very impressed with the ones you received.

We are all anxiously awaiting the verdict on these.
post #3376 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

I saw the pics of the Ebony finish, and Im very impressed with the ones you received

is there only the one leather finish for all three veneers?
post #3377 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes, it is a lovely charcoal gray for all finishes. Were you hoping for Ferrari red?
post #3378 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:

yes, it is a lovely charcoal gray for all finishes. Were you hoping for Ferrari red?

The charcoal gray leather color is really nice.
It was darker than I expected, and I was pleasantly pleased with
it from day one, and I still am.

Tim, those speakers in semi-un-dress ...
Well, no further comment.

I whimped out and got the piano blacks, because
I didn't have opportunity to see the ebony.
But in your photos, the ebony looks awesome.

Waiting for your review of course.
post #3379 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Its a very dark charcoal color. Its the only leather finish option that they offer at least for right now. All the veneers are very nice, but I tend to like the Ebony and the Piano Black finishes with the leather color.

The next thing they should work on IMO, is getting the smaller center out, and also making a smaller 2.5 way tower speaker incorporating 2 of the 6.5" woofers and the ribbon tweeter. Theres a huge price gap from the GS60s are $4500/pair to the PL300s at $10000/pair (prices that go into effect June 1st).
post #3380 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
very nice tim, I hope these stay longer than the previous ones
post #3381 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:

... The next thing they should work on IMO, is getting the smaller center out, and also making a smaller 2.5 way tower speaker incorporating 2 of the 6.5" woofers and the ribbon tweeter...

My PL200s.

( The marketing team left a name available for them. )
post #3382 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Have any of you guys who have heard the GS line compared them to the Era D5's?
post #3383 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrowder View Post

The PL350C is the perfect size to match the PL300's across the front. I hope they don't make a smaller floor stander as the eights just do so much more than the 6.5's can do. Like i've said before, they should make a $20,000 pair, even if it's just for me.

As for the PL300's, a better description of them might be manly, or stout. Of course describing them that way might scare an "audiophile" away.

Real nice Tim. I looked at a lot of speakers in the $9,000-$13,000 range before I bought my 300's. I could have bought any of the others, I didn't.

KC -

You know, I wasn't all that fond of the proportions of the PL300's, but when you see them in person, their fit and finish easily make up for the stoutly dimensions. They are an amazingly well made speaker. Leather, machined aluminum, super high-tech drivers, real wood veneers with 11 coats of lacquer. What man in their right mind wouldn't find that attractive?

Speaking of choosing the MA Plats over other speakers, I'm sure that I don't need to point out that I am coming from $13K / pr Focal's, and I feel the $9K / pr PL300's are better in every category of sound quality that matters to me. The treble is the best I have ever heard and that is compared to Be tweeter that is considered to be the best dome tech available at the moment.
post #3384 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 05:47 PM

Tim,

May I ask the size of your room? Also, do you feel there may be an issue with the lack of space for the right speaker? They have a beautiful finish!

Thanks,

Mike
post #3385 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael630 View Post

Tim,

May I ask the size of your room? Also, do you feel there may be an issue with the lack of space for the right speaker? They have a beautiful finish!

Thanks,

Mike

Most definitely there is an issue with an upperbass peak from every speaker that I have had on that right side. It's not quite as bad as it looks though. The speaker is 3.5 feet out from the front wall, which helps, and close to 2 feet from the side wall. I use Audyssey Room EQ to reduce the problem caused by the near wall placement of the right speaker, which works quite well.
post #3386 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 PM

Liked: 12
hifisponge,

I have been a long time monitor audio fan. You really seem to enjoy the top end on the Platinums, Have you had a chance to hear the ribbon tweeter on the Volent Paragon VL-3? The VL-3 is very impressive in its own right, but in comparison to the PL300s, it won't go as low, but again its a very refined speaker. I will admit the PL300 is one of the best speakers out there not even considering price.

"Without music life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche

post #3387 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 06:43 PM

Tim,

Your right, the pictures make it appear there is much less room. 3.5 ft. to the rear is pretty good. BTW, is that a Fathom I see in the corner?
post #3388 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its a very dark charcoal color. Its the only leather finish option that they offer at least for right now. All the veneers are very nice, but I tend to like the Ebony and the Piano Black finishes with the leather color

yeah, I really like the charcoal leather tone, it's very elegant.............
post #3389 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael630 View Post

Tim,

Your right, the pictures make it appear there is much less room. 3.5 ft. to the rear is pretty good. BTW, is that a Fathom I see in the corner?

I would very, very, very much like to have another two feet of spread between the L/R speakers, but that is going to have to happen in a different house, or perhaps in a future remodel.

That sub is a Velodyne DD15. I know the Fathom is everybody's sweetheart right now, but the Velo fills my room with all of the undistorted bass I could ever use. And if you aren't using a pre or AVR with room EQ, the built in EQ in the Velo can significantly improve the quality of bass in your room.
post #3390 of 10277 Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sub is a Velodyne DD15

I understand the DD Series Velodynes are exceptionally good.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page