Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #361 of 10277 Old 08-30-2006, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's a Sony amp that was part of a higher end "bookshelf"/"separates" system.

I have a very large room with hard wood floors, but there is an 8X10 rug in front of the speakers.

I will be trying a friend's harmon kardon amp......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 10277 Old 08-30-2006, 05:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by datbeme View Post

Any chance you'd be able to post a couple of pics of your walnut RS6s? I've been seriously thinking about those, but I've never seen the finish in person. There are a few pics on the mafocus website, but seeing them in a real life surrounding would be great.

I will take some photos tonight. The only downside to them was I had to wait 3 weeks for delivery, but well worth the wait (I live in Holland sometimes service is not high on the list of priorities).
post #363 of 10277 Old 08-30-2006, 12:01 PM

AudioArchitect,

I have a pair of Silver 5i's that I still enjoy and use today in a 2ch setup. They are mass loaded with the tweeter screens removed, and sitting on make-shift blocks to get the tweeters at the proper level. I front-end them with a tube pre, and a Hafler DH500 amp.

I listen mostly to jazz, new age, and some rock.

My acoustically treated room is 12' 6" W by 15' 6" L

I have not had a chance to listen to any of the GS line.

Do you think the 20's will work for me in this small room?

Also, how much better? / difference? will there be going to these from the 5i's?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
post #364 of 10277 Old 08-30-2006, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The real magic with the GS line is the Puresound crossover in the GS20 and GS60, with the capacitor-less midrange crossover. This makes the mids (the "soul" of the music ) sound extremely open and dynamic. For comparison I tested against a Martin Logan Vantage and the mids were every bit as open. The GS20 and GS60 should sell for more considering the performance you get from them.

I strongly encourage you to find a good dealer to listen to them at. There will be a definite improvement over the silver series. The GS20's are the best value as the bass will not be overbearing in smaller rooms.
post #365 of 10277 Old 08-30-2006, 12:50 PM

I bought a pair of studio 2 abouht 8 years ago, I love this speaker, I tried a few others since (Triangle, Ariel, and Totem), overall none were as good to my ears and listening needs (I have small room). The Company got bought out from founder Mo Iqbal shortly after and they are no longer made in UK. I have heard some good things about the more recent models, but like everything else they are "made in China". I'm keeping the ones I have until they die. I have found the build quality, especially the cabinet veneer is simply not what it once was.
post #366 of 10277 Old 08-30-2006, 01:51 PM
BMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifrt431 View Post

It's a Sony amp that was part of a higher end "bookshelf"/"separates" system.

I have a very large room with hard wood floors, but there is an 8X10 rug in front of the speakers.

I will be trying a friend's harmon kardon amp......

Your room probably sounds much like mine,hardwood floors. also have log walls TG cielings. Put down a large rug like you, but treated corners and some of the cieling with bass traps.
post #367 of 10277 Old 08-30-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

The real magic with the GS line is the Puresound crossover in the GS20 and GS60, with the capacitor-less midrange crossover. This makes the mids (the "soul" of the music ) sound extremely open and dynamic. For comparison I tested against a Martin Logan Vantage and the mids were every bit as open. The GS20 and GS60 should sell for more considering the performance you get from them.

I strongly encourage you to find a good dealer to listen to them at. There will be a definite improvement over the silver series. The GS20's are the best value as the bass will not be overbearing in smaller rooms.

Thanks for the quick response

Best Regards,
post #368 of 10277 Old 08-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifrt431 View Post

So, I've been listening my new RS8s for about five days now and have noticed what some people call "listener fatigue". After about 30-45 minutes of listening, I want to go do something else because I seem to start getting a headache.

I really the sound of the speakers and would like to keep them....... but if they continue to cause this listener fatigue, I will most likely return them.

One thing to consider is the source material. As you improve your system you may find that bad recordings are more annoying than before. Many modern CD's have the volume pumped up to the max which can cause listerner fatigue. In my experience the GR60's make good recordings sound great but can make bad recordings less tolerable. I'd suggest trying either vinyl or older, non-remastered CD's and see if that helps.
Good luck,

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #369 of 10277 Old 08-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

so ive been listening to the bronze B4s vs silver RS6 (neither of which are broken in)

RS6 have a little more bass obviously, the midrange is a tad more clearer, soundstage is far superior

still in the end, the RS6 were $900 for the pair, B4s were $400 for the pair.. after "subtracting" $200 from the equation for better looks and the little floor stand thingers. Its still $400 vs $700, and im not sure i can tell the $300 difference
post #370 of 10277 Old 08-30-2006, 10:03 PM

Anyone out there own Monitor S6's in Houston that wouldn't mind an audition? We don't have a darn Magnolia here....

thx
post #371 of 10277 Old 08-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

turns out i am a class A idiot

my receiver was crossed over to 100hz and the speakers were set to small!

i have it crossed over 60hz now, and large, instantly better.

cant wait for these puppies to break in

and i cant even imagine the RS6 with amps

heres my crappy auditioning space... im gonna see what i can do tomorrow so i can actually have at least 8 feet between the left and rights, and of course put both of them closer to the wall..

post #372 of 10277 Old 08-31-2006, 04:51 AM

Thanks for all the advice on making the RS8s work in my room. I have not tried a different amp yet, but did reduce the toe-in, which helps reduce that listener fatigue I was talking about.

Since my source and amp are of pretty low quallity, I am thinking that a trial with a higher quality set is in order.
post #373 of 10277 Old 08-31-2006, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassfajita View Post

Anyone out there own Monitor S6's in Houston that wouldn't mind an audition? We don't have a darn Magnolia here....

thx

There is one company that carries the RS6s. The name is Sarah International. They have two locations, but you want to go the one located off of Gessner and West Park Tollway. To set up an audition, Aaron McAllister is more than willing to help and the phone number to reach him is: 713-988-1522.

If worse comes to worse and you cannot make it to Sarah International, I would be willing to setup an audition for the RS8s, provided you couldbring a better amp and CD player. Mine sucks!
post #374 of 10277 Old 08-31-2006, 01:05 PM

Gotchaforce, I have a friend in Houston who owns Advanced Theater Soultions and should be an authorized Monitor Audio Dealer within the next week or so. He is trying to expand his business, so I am sure he would hook you up with a pretty decent deal.

Ryan Smith
214-636-9122
post #375 of 10277 Old 08-31-2006, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

ryan im not sure i want to drive all 30 hours or so to houston
post #376 of 10277 Old 08-31-2006, 07:20 PM

My bad, that was supposed to be to badassfajita but i was in a hurry when i typed in my post. 30 hours is a bit long to drive to listen to some speakers
post #377 of 10277 Old 08-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

mind giving me a rough price of what the advanced theatre solution owner would probably charge for the RS6??? would give me a better view of what magnolia would maybe drop to
post #378 of 10277 Old 09-01-2006, 04:58 AM

Woot ... today Just audition the Silver RS6 vs Bronze B4 in local shop in Singapore. Prior to today, have listen to RS6 before and also Bronze but in two seperate timing. I must say RS6 sound really good and gives more depth to the music. After listening to 2 songs (I choose Lionel Richard + Sting) which is some song I am more familar with, I paid for the RS6 with RSLCR + Bronze B2 for rear. Cant wait for the babies to come in tomorrow!!!!

Have gotta myself a Denon AVR-2807 Reciever too ....
post #379 of 10277 Old 09-01-2006, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post

Gotchaforce, I have a friend in Houston who owns Advanced Theater Soultions and should be an authorized Monitor Audio Dealer within the next week or so. He is trying to expand his business, so I am sure he would hook you up with a pretty decent deal.

Ryan Smith
214-636-9122

Thanks--

I tried looking up Advanced Theater Solutions but couldn't find an address--you know where it is in town? I could swing by.
post #380 of 10277 Old 09-01-2006, 11:47 AM

I'll see if I can find out an address for you. Once his application goes through, he will be ordering a set of Silver RS6s, LCR, FX, and sub for me, so I may be willing to let him hold on to them for a few days if you are serious about demo-ing that setup.

Price wise, I would guess he could probably knock 15 to 20% off msrp, but i can discuss it with him and find out over the weekend.
post #381 of 10277 Old 09-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

i was trying to pull the damn grill off and the magnets would have none of it, so they pulled back and the damn thing went in sideways straight into the tweeter... please tell me this DOES NOT affect sound quality

(its the little dimple in the upper right)
post #382 of 10277 Old 09-02-2006, 04:51 PM

Badassfajita -

Audio Video Solutions / Sarah International currently carries the monitor bronze, silver, and gold series. Aaron Mcallister can setup a listening session for you any time and is very knowledgable. I purchased the Monitor Silver RS8s, but returned them because they don't work for my room. Even though I took them back, this company has always been very helpful and courteous throughout the process.

I would recommend giving them a call if you want to check out the Monitors (713-988-1522)
post #383 of 10277 Old 09-03-2006, 07:57 AM

has any one hear used the SVS subs with their MA's. I have read a lot about them on AVS. They seem to get good reviews here but of course you cant test them since they are sold online only unless you order a set and then you can return them by paying the shipping. A hassel I dont want to deal with. I have GS 60 speakers. I was considering PB-12 ultra/2.
If any of you have any experience with these let me know.
post #384 of 10277 Old 09-05-2006, 07:55 PM

Hello everyone. My first post to this forum. I'm very interested in Monitor Audio's GS20. I owned a pair of MA Studio 20 se's for many years before getting back into a pair of planars (ET LFT VIIIa's). Then the wife decorated the listening room and converted it to a (sigh) living room. So back to box dynamic speakers. I've tried both the Spendor S5e and currently have the S8e's. They're great, though coming up somewhat short with respect to image witdh and depth. They'd do better if my living room were a bit bigger, (it's about 12 feet wide, though quite deep if you consider the flow through design of this townhome. Speakers are about 3 feet from the back wall (including the bay window). I auditioned a pair of Totem Acoustic Hawks, which impressed the heck out of me, offering substantial bass from a mere 5 inch woofer, and they imaged to beat the band, a definate improvement over the Spendor. But they weigh almost nothing, and have no grills as well as an unprotected tweeter, which look awfully tempting to our toddler little girl.

Can any of you give me an idea of how the GS20's compare to the Totem Hawk (or Forest)? Has the tweeter on the GS20 been tamed a bit compared with the tweeter of the MA Studio 20 se (or any of the Studio series). I found it to be perhaps just a tad bright.

Those of you who own any model among the GS series, are you happy with the imaging? How does the imaging of the GS series compare to the RS series?

Thanks to all who are able to reply.

Cheers,

Ron
post #385 of 10277 Old 09-06-2006, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looking for a good integrated stereo amp or a receiver for my RS6's. I was thinking about an HK 3480. Has anyone tried this combination? What other decent options are out there in that price range ($200-$400)? I'm also open to buying used (i.e. audiogon).

Note that I only need volume control (attenuation) and a single stereo RCA connection (hence, I could use an integrated stereo amp). I also may consider outboard attenuation if it'll get me a nicer amp for around the same price.

I figured that a warmer amp (HK) would sound a little better considering this is a 100% music setup and considering the traits of the RS6 - I've seen many people mention warmer amplification works best with MA speakers. Any thoughts on this also?

Another option I was looking at was the Crown XLS-202. It's got a level control which is all I'd need. Has anyone tried pro-amps like Crown with this series or speaker? Does it avoid the brightness and have a warmer sound (or at least neutral)?
post #386 of 10277 Old 09-06-2006, 12:40 PM
SeƱor Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybasil View Post

has any one hear used the SVS subs with their MA's. I have read a lot about them on AVS. They seem to get good reviews here but of course you cant test them since they are sold online only unless you order a set and then you can return them by paying the shipping. A hassel I dont want to deal with. I have GS 60 speakers. I was considering PB-12 ultra/2.
If any of you have any experience with these let me know.

Never heard one myself but here is a Frappr SVS demo locator. http://www.frappr.com/svsowners

I might be tempted to stretch the budget a bit and check out the ACI Maestro and Axiom EP600. I had the EP600 with my GR60's and it is a great sub for HT and music.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #387 of 10277 Old 09-07-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassfajita View Post

Thanks--

I tried looking up Advanced Theater Solutions but couldn't find an address--you know where it is in town? I could swing by.

... And anyone else in the Houston area. Just saw and heard the Monitor Audio RS6s at Sound Vision of Houston, 16219 North Freeway (on the west side of I45, just south of 1960). Please note that while they can sell MA speakers and can order other models, the only MAs they had that you can listen to are the RS6. They have them in one of their theater rooms, being powered by a NAD receiver. Very impressive sound... better IMO than the more expensive Tannoy speakers they also carry. It is shame that you can't listen to the entire Silver line there, but I had them run the RS6 without sub and in phantom center mode so as to hear the RS6.
post #388 of 10277 Old 09-07-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMTB View Post

... And anyone else in the Houston area. Just saw and heard the Monitor Audio RS6s at Sound Vision of Houston, 16219 North Freeway (on the west side of I45, just south of 1960). Please note that while they can sell MA speakers and can order other models, the only MAs they had that you can listen to are the RS6. They have them in one of their theater rooms, being powered by a NAD receiver. Very impressive sound... better IMO than the more expensive Tannoy speakers they also carry. It is shame that you can't listen to the entire Silver line there, but I had them run the RS6 without sub and in phantom center mode so as to hear the RS6.

You should check out Sarah International off of The West Park Tollway in Houston. Give them a call ahead of time and they will setup a listening session. They have the Silver Series, Bronze and Gold. I posted the phone number in a post above. Aaron (the speaker sales guy) is very helpful and knowledgable. They also carry PSB, Klispch, Boston Acoustics.
post #389 of 10277 Old 09-13-2006, 03:30 PM

Can someone tell me a good place to sell my GR-20's? They are in awesome condition I am just moving into a smaller place and going to unload them and pick up a pair of bookshelves. Thanks for any help.
post #390 of 10277 Old 09-13-2006, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by excetara2 View Post

Can someone tell me a good place to sell my GR-20's? They are in awesome condition I am just moving into a smaller place and going to unload them and pick up a pair of bookshelves. Thanks for any help.

audiogon.com
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page