post #3991 of 10309 Old 07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRiS1 View Post

I have a custom installer that can get them, but nothing to audition. Is there as much of a noticeable difference in the sound between the in wall/ceiling lines as there is in the floor standing products? The local installer I spoke with said I would be hard pressed to differentiate between the 280LCR and 380LCR aside from the cost.

There is a difference, how they are installed, what type of sources you have and your hearing will come into play whether you can tell that difference.

Jeremy Hummer
Electronic Home Designers LLC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 10309 Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahummer View Post

There is a difference, how they are installed, what type of sources you have and your hearing will come into play whether you can tell that difference.

What about the 8" vs the 6.5"?

Big difference?
post #3993 of 10309 Old 07-16-2008, 08:27 PM

Hello. I'm considering a S LCR to go with my RS6. That means an older model center with newer mains. Is there a considerable tonal difference between the S and the RS? IF there is I'll spend the money, but if not...
post #3994 of 10309 Old 07-16-2008, 10:06 PM

Yes, there is. RSLCR has different tweeter as well as different woofer when compare to the older SLCR..
Since you already have the RS6 as front main, it's best to match the tweeter/woofer and go with RSLCR..
You can try audiogon if you don't mind used..
post #3995 of 10309 Old 07-17-2008, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbie5150 View Post

I am now in the market for an amp (stereo or monoblocks) to use w/ a pair of GS60's. I'm curious whether any MA owners here are using Class D amps (such as Wyred 4 Sound). I did a thread search, but there were no results for any users here w/ Wyred 4 Sound amps... Just curious whether that would be a good match sonically.

I use a W4s amp with my Pl 300. They sound great with the amp.
post #3996 of 10309 Old 07-17-2008, 04:35 AM

Hi,

Hoping I can get a bit of advice on what would be a good match for my MA GS60's. I currently have a rega mira 3 (integrated) bi-amped to a rega maia power amp. Although the sound quality is excellant I know I can get more out of the speakers without running out of puff.

I have budgeted a certain amount and was considering the Krell kav 400xi, Primare i30 or the Musical Fidelity A5. These are all integrated amps with a decent amount of power especially the MF. Even thoughts of pre/power components to the price of the integrates I've mentioned with maybe a little more to spare. I was hoping someone has listened to these amps with hopefully MA's and see what your thoughts are before taking the plunge.

My CD player is an arcam cd82, which I really like.

Any thoughts!
post #3997 of 10309 Old 07-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRiS1 View Post

What about the 8" vs the 6.5"?

Big difference?

Yes, 6.5" is too small for most applications other than low volume background music.

Jeremy Hummer
Electronic Home Designers LLC

post #3998 of 10309 Old 07-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Just curious for those that have GS10's what crossovers do you have set in your system? I have two pairs of GS10's (fronts & surrounds) with matching center. Running them with Denon's 3808 and a Epik Caliber. Audyseey set it to 40hz & -8 but I have been changing between 60 & 80hz & -3. My concern is the performance is with the sub. It sounds good but not great(which is what I was expecting). I think the only way I will get it any better is using REW but way to much hassle (getting everything you need to do so) and knowing what the heck you doing Was hoping to find someone near me with REW and could help set this all up.
Anyway I was just curious what crossovers everyone was using with their GS10's.
post #3999 of 10309 Old 07-17-2008, 02:21 PM

Rob, I would suggest 80Hz if you are not experiencing any subwoofer localization..

BTW, you can set your crossover all the way down to 40Hz on AVR-3808? My SR7002 would only allow the lowest setting of 60Hz..
post #4000 of 10309 Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been patiently waiting for my RS6 order for almost 2 weeks and I'm getting anxious. Convince me that they're worth it because I'm oh so tempted by other speakers!!

post #4001 of 10309 Old 07-17-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
wrinklefree.. they are very nice speakers. I don't know what I can say beyond that. Give them a neutral high-current power source and they will please.

Hey, anyone notice that there can be quite a difference in the color/tone of the veneers? I just bought a pair of used RS6's in Walnut and they are quite dark. I owned another pair in the same finish about a year ago and they were MUCH lighter in color.

I'm on the lookout for an RSLCR, but I'm hesitant to buy a new one simply because I'd like to make sure the color matches the dark RS6 pair I already have.
post #4002 of 10309 Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

I've been patiently waiting for my RS6 order for almost 2 weeks and I'm getting anxious. Convince me that they're worth it because I'm oh so tempted by other speakers!!

wrinklefree, absoutely, the wait is worth it. RS6, especially for it's price, is a really good performer and it will be hard press to find another speaker that can offer the same level of performance in similar price range..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

wrinklefree.. they are very nice speakers. I don't know what I can say beyond that. Give them a neutral high-current power source and they will please.

Hey, anyone notice that there can be quite a difference in the color/tone of the veneers? I just bought a pair of used RS6's in Walnut and they are quite dark. I owned another pair in the same finish about a year ago and they were MUCH lighter in color.

I'm on the lookout for an RSLCR, but I'm hesitant to buy a new one simply because I'd like to make sure the color matches the dark RS6 pair I already have.

Jeff, good to see you back. As far as walnut veneer, all the new RS & GS I have had from this year all appears to be in the dark walnut color..
post #4003 of 10309 Old 07-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wrinklefree they are worth waiting for! For the money you will be hard pressed to find anything better. When we were hunting for new speakers,we heard many and the RS6's were the ones we were gonna go with till we heard the GS10's right next to them ! It was night and day and we new we would not be completely happy if we didn't go with the GS10's I will tell you what, the RS6's were right there with all the other speakers we heard(IMO) and they cost much more. We are running ours with a 3808,what will you be driving them with?
post #4004 of 10309 Old 07-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post

Rob, I would suggest 80Hz if you are not experiencing any subwoofer localization..

BTW, you can set your crossover all the way down to 40Hz on AVR-3808? My SR7002 would only allow the lowest setting of 60Hz..

Justthinking thanks for the info......... Yea Audyseey sets my speakers to 40Hz. I like the way my speakers(GS10's) sounds but the Caliber just doesn't have the same punch it does when I set them to 60 or 80Mz. Tried putting the Caliber everywhere I could and so far where it is now (on it's side pointing toward the back of the TV) is the best Just just doesn't have the ummmmmp I was hoping for. I'm hoping I can find someone nearby to help me out.
post #4005 of 10309 Old 07-17-2008, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the response guys. I REALLY have to stop reading speaker reviews from other manufacturers because its starting to get to my head.

I'll wait for the RS6's.

post #4006 of 10309 Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:

I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. I heard these in a very crappy showroom with so-so source material, but yet I could tell they had great potential.

BTW, I'm in the same boat as you in trying to wait for something from Monitor Audio. I've been looking hi and lo for a pair of GSFX's in rosewood (hint...hint..out there!) Seems they are somewhat scarce these days. From what I understand, it seems MA's distribution in the US could stand a bit of common sense improvement.
post #4007 of 10309 Old 07-17-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maramp View Post

Hi,

Hoping I can get a bit of advice on what would be a good match for my MA GS60's. I currently have a rega mira 3 (integrated) bi-amped to a rega maia power amp. Although the sound quality is excellant I know I can get more out of the speakers without running out of puff.

I have budgeted a certain amount and was considering the Krell kav 400xi, Primare i30 or the Musical Fidelity A5. These are all integrated amps with a decent amount of power especially the MF. Even thoughts of pre/power components to the price of the integrates I've mentioned with maybe a little more to spare. I was hoping someone has listened to these amps with hopefully MA's and see what your thoughts are before taking the plunge.

My CD player is an arcam cd82, which I really like.

Any thoughts!

I have never heard Krell, but they have a reputation for being bright, which would not be a good match for the GS60s. I think warmer sounding integrated is the right way to go. Take a look at Plinius integrateds amps. I really like Unison Research(Unison Unico SE), of which I a have heard with the GS 60s and they are a good match. You mentioned Musical Fidelity A5. If I am not mistaken, Monitor Audio used MF for their amps at trade shows. So the folks at MA must feel they are a very good match otherwise they would not have chose them for their shows. I also think Monitor Audio has used McIntocsh lately too.
post #4008 of 10309 Old 07-18-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kclone View Post

I have never heard Krell, but they have a reputation for being bright, which would not be a good match for the GS60s. I think warmer sounding integrated is the right way to go. Take a look at Plinius integrateds amps. I really like Unison Research(Unison Unico SE), of which I a have heard with the GS 60s and they are a good match. You mentioned Musical Fidelity A5. If I am not mistaken, Monitor Audio used MF for their amps at trade shows. So the folks at MA must feel they are a very good match otherwise they would not have chose them for their shows. I also think Monitor Audio has used McIntocsh lately too.

Thanks for the input kclone. Thanks for the pointer MA using MF amps that is a good observation. Was never sure of the Krells. Reviews are good but would they suit my speakers, not sure? As for the Primare I am not sure whether it can effectively drive the MA's. Time to check out the MF 5.5 here in Oz. It can get pretty tough finding 'out of the norm' equipment here. We do cater for most but it will be tough to find the unison research amps. The macs will be ok as well.
post #4009 of 10309 Old 07-19-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maramp View Post

Thanks for the input kclone. Thanks for the pointer MA using MF amps that is a good observation. Was never sure of the Krells. Reviews are good but would they suit my speakers, not sure? As for the Primare I am not sure whether it can effectively drive the MA's. Time to check out the MF 5.5 here in Oz. It can get pretty tough finding 'out of the norm' equipment here. We do cater for most but it will be tough to find the unison research amps. The macs will be ok as well.

Good luck in your search. Your from Oz? They had a pretty good run of bands make internationally awhile back. Let see if I can remember a few bands from there. Split Ends, INXS, Midnight Oil, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The GoBetweens, The Triffids, and my favorite band from Sidney, The Church.
post #4010 of 10309 Old 07-20-2008, 10:25 PM

Help ! I'm deciding to go to 7.1 on a limited budget, I currently have a GSLCR center , S8's, ASW100 sub , RSFX surround's and a RSLCR rear, I could sell my GSLCR and get another set of rsfx's move my RSLCR to the front center and go with pretty much a complete silver set up? or keep my GSLCR, sell myRS and get a set of fBRFX for the rear channel? everything would be MA yet a crazy mix. all of this is bi-wired via a denon 3805.any thoughts?
post #4011 of 10309 Old 07-21-2008, 01:34 AM

There is enough difference between the old Silver and the new RS (different tweeter, different woofer & different crossover circuit) that if you match them together, they might not mix well..
I would suggest you sell the S8, RSLCR & ASW100 and get GS10 & decent subwoofer to complete the front with existing GSLCR. You can then get another set of RSFX or even RS1 depend on your placement to complete the 7.1..
post #4012 of 10309 Old 07-21-2008, 07:09 AM

Liked: 11
Ecobone,If you do sell your RSLCR I need one, what color ? I need walnut but black might be o.k. PM me if you do decide to sell either the rs or gs center.
post #4013 of 10309 Old 07-23-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm in the market for a RSLCR in rosenut. Can someone steer me in the direction of a dealer that is willing to ship?

post #4014 of 10309 Old 07-24-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:

I'm in the market for a RSLCR in rosenut. Can someone steer me in the direction of a dealer that is willing to ship?

If you are in the market for a used RSLCR in Rosenut I may be able to help you out via pm...
post #4015 of 10309 Old 07-25-2008, 10:46 PM

I'm getting ready buy some new speakers, and I think I've narrowed my choice down to the Monitor Silver RS6 or RS8, Mission E82, or Revel Concerta F12. I've read lots of raves about the RS6's, but I haven't read any reviews of the RS8's. Does anyone have any experience comparing them? I'm leaning towards the RS8's, since I'd rather go without a subwoofer, at least for now. But will I be sacrificing anything if I go with the 8's?

Thanks in advance!

Matty
post #4016 of 10309 Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 PM

If you intend to use the speakers for HT..then RS8 even w/ extra bass woofer, still won't be deep enough and you will still need a sub..
RS8 is a 2 1/2 way design just like RS6 and extra woofer, although did give a bit more bass and sink a bit deeper, many feel make RS8 sound a little muddy and not quite as clear as RS6..
I would suggest you go w/ RS6 and save the difference toward a subwoofer..
Revel F12 also is a good choice..again, it will come down to what you like..find a place to audition both if you can..
post #4017 of 10309 Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 PM

Well, I'll be using the speakers for HT, but I care much more about music (mostly classical). I'd like to get the best system I can for music, and then I'll live with the resulting HT performance. (I have much lower standards when it comes to movies.)

That the RS8 is less clear than the RS6 is certainly a reason to prefer the latter, especially since it is their clarity that makes the Monitor speakers so attractive to me. After auditioning some RS6's, I found that Paradigm Studio 60's and PSB Image T65's were almost unlistenable, despite their bigger sound and larger-than-life soundstage.

I wish the Revel's weren't so ugly.
post #4018 of 10309 Old 07-26-2008, 08:30 PM

can someone give me some input on RS5 and RS6 vs. PSB T45 T55 at first i was going to go with PSB now im thinking MA
post #4019 of 10309 Old 07-27-2008, 02:25 PM

Just before I start, I know the LX-4 5.1 system is not the best. Everyone here seems to have much better, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Two of the 1" Mylar tweeters do not work. It looks like it will be hard to get replacement tweeters from M-Audio themselves, so I was looking for a compatible replacement.

Parts Express seems like it would be the best place to buy them from. Everyone on the AVS forum loves PE so it seems like a good place to start.

Does any have a good recommendation for replacements? I looks like the complete size of the tweeter/housing is under 3 inches round and the tweeter itself is 1 inch. I am wanting something that will sound a close as possible to the OE parts. This is were I will need your knowledge.

Thank you,
Brandon.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Fear and Loathing
post #4020 of 10309 Old 07-27-2008, 03:54 PM

danifilthfans,

I think you are in the wrong thread...Monitor Audio =/= M-Audio...
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page