Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #4501 of 10261 Old 11-29-2008, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These are the three that I have narrowed it down to. I am going to pull the trigger very soon so your help will be appreciated.

I am building my system currently and only have BR2s and I have the BRLCR on order. I will be adding the BRFX or BR1 as rear surrounds in the future. I know most of you have the silver line or higher, but the Bronze fits my budget. I also have a Panny 42pz80u and will be getting a PS3 for Christmas, along with an Oppo 980h (SACD listening). My room is 13x13' and my listening is about 60% music, 40% movies and TV.

The three receivers above, which I can purchase anywhere from $500-$650 represent the best of what my research has turned up in that price range. $650 is really pushing my budget and I want to buy new or at least a pristine MFR Refurbished unit.

I like the Audyssey features of the Denon 1909, but am not too crazy about not being able to add an amp for future upgrades. The Pioneer 1018 seems to offer a lot for an attractive price and has a ton of power, but I have no clue what it would sound like hooked up to Monitor Audio speakers. The Marantz 5003, I have read will sound more musical (than Denon), but when demoing it, I couldn't remember a big difference between that and the Denon. Of course, I could not find a store that sold both and I had to demo them on separate days.

Any help here on a receiver for my current and future set-up?

This forum is making me broke!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 10261 Old 11-29-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine_man View Post

... The Marantz 5003, I have read will sound more musical (than Denon), but when demoing it, I couldn't remember a big difference between that and the Denon. Of course, I could not find a store that sold both and I had to demo them on separate days ...

I've been through 5 amps ( stereo only ) in the past 8 years,
from an ancient Hafler, to middle-of-road NAD, to Arcam top-of-line, to Bel Canto.
I used to think they sounded different. But I now strongly suspect that I wanted to, or needed to, think they sounded different.
If they did sound different, it was by the sketchiest of margins, that I'm sure of.

You might want to read some of these articles, but particularly the one titled:
"Do All Amplifiers Sound Alike? A classic article from Stereo Review". The results of the testing they did will probably surprise you.

http://www.bruce.coppola.name/audio/wisdom.html

ABX testing is the only way we have though, of making meaningful comparisons.

Just MHO, but the transducers are where the money is best spent, when you're ready/able to upgrade, rather than the other gear in the chain.
post #4503 of 10261 Old 11-29-2008, 09:09 AM

Thanks! So perhaps your suggestion would be to go with the receiver that has the best features, which would probably be the Denon 1909 with Audyssey Dynamic Volume, MultEQ features, even though I cannot add an external amp?

post #4504 of 10261 Old 11-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

Thanks! So perhaps your suggestion would be to go with the receiver that has the best features, which would probably be the Denon 1909 with Audyssey Dynamic Volume, MultEQ features, even though I cannot add an external amp?

Just a few months ago, I was in the market for a receiver for my second system and was in a similar boat to you. I wanted to spend $500-600. I ended up going with the Denon 988 (aka 2808ci), which is last year's 2008 model. I like the 1909 because it has the latest features including DynamicEQ and 3 HDMI inputs. On the other hand, the 2808 has pre-outs in case you want to use external amplification in the future and also has the more robust version of Audyssey than in the 1909. According to Denon, the 28XX series should have better sound quality as well, but who really knows without comparing them side by side.

For the BR2s, I think you would be okay without pre-outs. Just depends on the feature set you want. Are you going to keep this receiver for a long time? Are you going to upgrade your speakers over time? I probably wouldn't care about external amplification unless I was upgrading to the Gold or Platinum series, or needed more headroom. If you listen to movies at low to moderate volumes, I think the DynamicEQ of the 1909 is useful. For the same or slightly less $$, I went with the 988 / 2808 because of the features I mentioned earlier (pre-outs, higher resolution Audyssey, etc.).

Edit: Sorry, I did not see that you had already narrowed your list down to 3 receivers. I think you should just get the one with the features you like the most. If that is the Denon 1909, go for it!
post #4505 of 10261 Old 11-29-2008, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the input. How well do you feel the Denon matches with Monitor speakers? Somewhat similar to Marantz? I'll probably be doing mostly 3 channel listening on movies for a while until I save up for the rear bronzes. For music, I'll be using just the two fronts.

I honestly cannot ever see myself going anything higher than possibly silver fronts and moving the BR2s to the rear. I did do some extensive research on receivers and narrowed it down to the 1909, but the more I read this forum the more ideas I get. I should probably just stop pulling hairs and get the 1909. Maybe J&R still has the phone deal.

post #4506 of 10261 Old 11-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input. How well do you feel the Denon matches with Monitor speakers? Somewhat similar to Marantz? I'll probably be doing mostly 3 channel listening on movies for a while until I save up for the rear bronzes. For music, I'll be using just the two fronts.

I honestly cannot ever see myself going anything higher than possibly silver fronts and moving the BR2s to the rear. I did do some extensive research on receivers and narrowed it down to the 1909, but the more I read this forum the more ideas I get. I should probably just stop pulling hairs and get the 1909. Maybe J&R still has the phone deal.

Never owned any Marantz gear, but some people say the bass is a bit more prominent. Warmer sounding gear apparently, but I don't know if that holds true here.

My Denon matches well with my GR10s. I haven't found anything to complain about for normal movie watching. Audyssey is a useful feature. I don't think the Denon has changed the character of the speakers in any way..seems like a pretty neutral piece of gear. Can't go wrong here IMO. I even like the remote.
post #4507 of 10261 Old 11-29-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post

Never owned any Marantz gear, but some people say the bass is a bit more prominent. Warmer sounding gear apparently, but I don't know if that holds true here.

My Denon matches well with my GR10s. I haven't found anything to complain about for normal movie watching. Audyssey is a useful feature. I don't think the Denon has changed the character of the speakers in any way..seems like a pretty neutral piece of gear. Can't go wrong here IMO. I even like the remote.

That pretty much mirrors my experience with Marantz vs Denon, though I was comparing the mid to upper level units.
post #4508 of 10261 Old 11-29-2008, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A new Monitor Audio owner here although I haven't taken delivery yet.

I bought a pair of RS6 mains RSCLR center and RSFX surrounds today.

I was listening to a Dada CD in the store and heard backing vocals that I never knew were there before using my Def Tech speakers. All of this was using an upper end Yamaha RCVR.

I'm glad to report that in the last week I've also upgraded to an Aragon 7X200 watt amp and a Classe SSP-300 pre/pro. Still awaiting arrival of all this gear, but needless to say I'm excited.

Jgiddyup
post #4509 of 10261 Old 11-29-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats giddyup. That's a great system you've assembled there. Hopefully the wait will go quickly.
post #4510 of 10261 Old 11-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

That pretty much mirrors my experience with Marantz vs Denon, though I was comparing the mid to upper level units.

I will agree with this also. I do also have a Denon matched with GS10's and choose it over Marantz.Love the Audyssey feature also
post #4511 of 10261 Old 11-29-2008, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Congrats giddyup. That's a great system you've assembled there. Hopefully the wait will go quickly.

I'm confident you're right hifi as I've had several M&K, B&W and higher priced Def Tech systems in my room and I've always come back to the Def Tech BP8's.

The ability of the Monitor Audio speakers to reveal things (in a dealer showroom) that I hadn't heard before sold me.

I think I'll rediscover my music collection as a result.

Jgiddyup
post #4512 of 10261 Old 11-30-2008, 03:31 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
Quote:

I ended up going with the Denon 988 (aka 2808ci), which is last year's 2008 model.

Although very similar, the 2808CI is a 3 zone AVR as well as offers a programmable remote, neither of which the 988 offers. In general, the CI models have a little something extra than their "Big Box" version counterparts, which is why they are generally $50-$100 more. Although at this point choosing a Denon 2007 model over the 2008 models with the new Audyssey Dynamic Vol and Eq features would be a tough call for sure.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4513 of 10261 Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM

I just ordered the Denon 1909 from an authorized e-tailer! I can't wait!

post #4514 of 10261 Old 11-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Although very similar, the 2808CI is a 3 zone AVR as well as offers a programmable remote, neither of which the 988 offers. In general, the CI models have a little something extra than their "Big Box" version counterparts, which is why they are generally $50-$100 more. Although at this point choosing a Denon 2007 model over the 2008 models with the new Audyssey Dynamic Vol and Eq features would be a tough call for sure.

I think that's about right. The CI models also look a little better to my eye with the curved front fascia, but I believe the 989 got this look for this year. Curiously, both the 988/2808 and 989/2909 combos have the same MSRP as their respective counterpart. Perhaps real world prices differ then.

Choosing between the '08 and '09 model was pretty easy for me because of the close out pricing (~ 70% more at the time, for the new model), but plenty of people in the receiver sub-forum love DynamicEQ.
post #4515 of 10261 Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 PM

Need help picking up the fronts!

Looks like I am pretty much decided on the Monitor Audio speakers.

Need 2 channel setup for now, but later I am going to add more speakers. I haven't decided on the receiver yet. The budget is $1000 for a pair, but I can stretch it to $1600. I know the budget is tight, but I still think I can get something. It's going to be 80% for the music, and the rest for movies.

I was looking at the RS6 & RS8. I haven't heard them, but from the great reviews, I guess they are praised here. Are there any big difference?

The GS60 looks good too, but I am not aware of the price.

Where can I hear these speakers around Chicago area?

Thanks.
post #4516 of 10261 Old 12-01-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdLCD View Post

Need help picking up the fronts!

Looks like I am pretty much decided on the Monitor Audio speakers.

Need 2 channel setup for now, but later I am going to add more speakers. I haven't decided on the receiver yet. The budget is $1000 for a pair, but I can stretch it to $1600. I know the budget is tight, but I still think I can get something. It's going to be 80% for the music, and the rest for movies.

I was looking at the RS6 & RS8. I haven't heard them, but from the great reviews, I guess they are praised here. Are there any big difference?

Where can I hear these speakers around Chicago area?

Thanks.

I would soooo go for GS 10s in your situation.
But both 'vantagesc' and 'hifisponge' should probably
be heeded to, if they happen to weigh in.
post #4517 of 10261 Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

mdlcd -

Will you be using a good subwoofer with your system? If so then the GS10's would be a great speaker. If not, then the RS8 or GS20. The RS line is a bit more "laid back" through the mids, which some prefer, so don't assume that the higher priced speaker will automatically sound better to you.

I also suggest that you check out all of the speakers in your price range that you can. While I like MA a lot, there are a lot of good speakers out there and you shouldn't limit your exposure to just MA.

In my experience, there are rarely bad speakers in the price range you are looking at, just different. Bring your own music to the auditions and let your ears decide which speakers line up the best with your musical tastes and preferences for sound quality.
post #4518 of 10261 Old 12-01-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:

mdlcd -

Will you be using a good subwoofer with your system? If so then the GS10's would be a great speaker. If not, then the RS8 or GS20. The RS line is a bit more "laid back" through the mids, which some prefer, so don't assume that the higher priced speaker will automatically sound better to you.

I also suggest that you check out all of the speakers in your price range that you can. While I like MA a lot, there are a lot of good speakers out there and you shouldn't limit your exposure to just MA.

In my experience, there are rarely bad speakers in the price range you are looking at, just different. Bring your own music to the auditions and let your ears decide which speakers line up the best with your musical tastes and preferences for sound quality.

Agreed 100%, with one exception ...
Having owned both the GS10s and GS20s, if I had to do it
over again, I would get the 10s and save the $, not withstanding
whatever one does for stands for the 10s. I really just did not
hear the obvious benefits from the 10s to 20s upgrade, *but* ...
my room was 14' x 20', so that size ( assuming it's small )
might have limited possible benefit from speakers that could
displace more air. I've written this multiple times before, and
I'm doing it again ... the GS10s have to be one of the best
bangs for the buck in audio. They are really ( really ) good
for their price-point, IMHO.

Now ... let's see what "vantagesc" has to say about all this,
flush as he is -- with both the 10s and the PL100s.
post #4519 of 10261 Old 12-01-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdLCD View Post

The GS60 lists for $4K. You can search up your local dealers on Monitor Audio's Web site too.
post #4520 of 10261 Old 12-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

I'll give it a shot with my poor choice of adjectives!

mdLCD,
Your situation is similar to mine a while back. I ended up with the GR10 bookshelf speaker(predecessor to the GS10s) for what was, at the time, my 100% music system.

I also considered the RS6. The RS6 is a very well rounded speaker for the money: taut bass with good extension, fairly neutral midrange, and the top end has just a slight shimmer perhaps. After hearing the speaker, I felt it had good top to bottom coherency and really engaged me without becoming tiring. Looks great too.

Ultimately went with the Gold bookshelf on the advice of some people here, because it took some of the finer qualities of the RS6 and refined them further. The Gold series is a bit more articulate and it seems to have greater resolution. To me this means the speaker will reveal fine details in the recording a bit better. Individual sounds are more discrete...it's like the sound is slightly less blurry. The tweeter sounds a bit more extended and airy...perhaps with even more shimmer than the RS6. Vocals are slightly more lean perhaps than on the RS6, but also more clean. On the con side, the bass extension is not as deep as the RS6. Though I don't listen to music at high volumes, the RS6 seemed to have more bass slam / impact as well. Really, the RS6 is a so well rounded! It's just that the Gold bookshelf is more refined in a few key areas.

For critical music listening, I tend to prefer the GS10 or GR10, but ultimately it's up to your listening preferences. My listening room is also relatively small. If you have a subwoofer or plan to own one, GS10's are a great buy. I would listen to both though, just to make sure.
post #4521 of 10261 Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll give it a shot with my poor choice of adjectives!

mdLCD,
Your situation is similar to mine a while back. I ended up with the GR10 bookshelf speaker(predecessor to the GS10s) for what was, at the time, my 100% music system.

I also considered the RS6. The RS6 is a very well rounded speaker for the money: taut bass with good extension, fairly neutral midrange, and the top end has just a slight shimmer perhaps. After hearing the speaker, I felt it had good top to bottom coherency and really engaged me without becoming tiring. Looks great too.

Ultimately went with the Gold bookshelf on the advice of some people here, because it took some of the finer qualities of the RS6 and refined them further. The Gold series is a bit more articulate and it seems to have greater resolution. To me this means the speaker will reveal fine details in the recording a bit better. Individual sounds are more discrete...it's like the sound is slightly less blurry. The tweeter sounds a bit more extended and airy...perhaps with even more shimmer than the RS6. Vocals are slightly more lean perhaps than on the RS6, but also more clean. On the con side, the bass extension is not as deep as the RS6. Though I don't listen to music at high volumes, the RS6 seemed to have more bass slam / impact as well. Really, the RS6 is a so well rounded! It's just that the Gold bookshelf is more refined in a few key areas.

For critical music listening, I tend to prefer the GS10 or GR10, but ultimately it's up to your listening preferences. My listening room is also relatively small. If you have a subwoofer or plan to own one, GS10's are a great buy. I would listen to both though, just to make sure.

Very well stated. Great assessment of the differences between the RS & GS.
post #4522 of 10261 Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 AM

I currently own a pretty good setup with Gallo 3.1, but I am considering going for a cheaper setup as I don't have the time to use it, but I want good sound when I do.

I can get RS6 + LCR for a really good price, and I know the RS6 are insane value - I am also considering upping the ante with GS20, but I will have to bargain a bit to see what I must pay for them. GS20 is RS6 with tighter bass, even clearer sound, better midrange and better tweeter, but I can get the RS6 really cheap so its hard to decide.

Anyone know of upcoming upgrades to any one of the lines at MA?
post #4523 of 10261 Old 12-04-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:

So I got the MA Platinum speaker set today. I posted this over in "The journey for the perfect speaker" thread, but it only seems appropriate I post my experience in the MA Owner's thread.

Here's everything from the initial delivery, to the upacking, up to the final positioning of the speakers. . . .

I was given a window of between 12p and 5pm for the delivery of the speakers. Usually as these things go, the driver will show up at the last possible minute in the appointment window or even worse they show up late. Much to my surprise, the driver arrived at 11:57am! Wow! This never happens, but I'm not complaining.

Then, something bad almost happens. Could have been tragic really. First you need to know that our driveway is steep and there is a sidewalk with a large lip at the edge of the driveway. This of course makes it difficult to get something like a palette full of speakers on a wheeled palette jack up it. I tell the driver that about 20 feet down, the neighbors have filled in the lip which would make it easier to get the palette up the driveway. But he insists that he can get the pallet off the truck lift and onto the sidewalk. Sure enough, as he tries to get over the lip the whole stack of speakers goes sliding off to the left and I make a mad dash to get them from crashing onto the pavement. I just about lost my lunch over that one. There was rather thin layer of plastic wrap around all of the boxes which helped, but if I hadn't have reacted quickly, this could have been a real mess of a disappointment to say the least.

Surviving that mess, I start unpacking and all the while I'm waiting for my next fear to come true. In my research on the Platinum's I have noticed that there is quite a bit of variation in the look of the ebony veneer, some of it I really didn't care for much at all. I suppose this approach makes each speaker unique, but I really find some of the veneers unattractive. So I'm thinking that it will be just my luck and my speakers will have a funky finish. Nope. They all look great! Whew!

The one last thing that I would like to mention for now, is that I may have to reconsider going 7.1 in my room. I mounted one the side speakers and it sticks out pretty far from the wall and I think having a surround speaker that close could be distracting. Oh well.

To end on a positive note, even though the speakers are fresh out of the box, they sound sound pretty darn good. The treble is just as delicate, smooth and detailed as I remember hearing at the dealer. Even though I don't believe much in extended break-in, I think for good measure I will give them 100 hours before committing to any comments on the sound quality.

Hello! Hifisponge can you tell me what kind of loudspeaker legs are you using? Is it together with your Monitor Audio 350 center loudspeaker? or did you buy it yourself and is it rubber or metal? I really would like to know because I also have the same loudspeaker, Thanks.
post #4524 of 10261 Old 12-05-2008, 06:52 AM

Hi guys...I recently had the chance to demo the RS6 (again) and a pair of B&W 703 as I was debating between which speakers to get. Well, let me tell you that there is NO DOUBT in my mind that the RS6 blew the B&W out of the water, at least for the demo I received. It is true that both were not driven by the same audio gear but the difference was significantly different enough to make me chose the MA for my next speakers. That being said, I was wondering between the GS20 and the RS6 and I think I will settle on the RS6 afterall since the place I demo'ed the RS6 didn't have any GS20 in stock and maybe it is a good thing. The difference in price between both series (here in Canada) is pretty substantial and when buying a pair of the towers and the centre speaker, the difference between the silver and gold series was over 2k. Since I was blown away by how great these sounded (with my type of music), then I figure, if I don't hear the GS20, I won't miss them....Like they say, 'What you don't know won't hurt you'
post #4525 of 10261 Old 12-07-2008, 05:15 PM

* Bump * - Don't want my fellow MA fan to find their favorite speaker thread buried down the line
post #4526 of 10261 Old 12-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post

Hi guys...I recently had the chance to demo the RS6 (again) and a pair of B&W 703 as I was debating between which speakers to get. Well, let me tell you that there is NO DOUBT in my mind that the RS6 blew the B&W out of the water, at least for the demo I received. It is true that both were not driven by the same audio gear but the difference was significantly different enough to make me chose the MA for my next speakers. That being said, I was wondering between the GS20 and the RS6 and I think I will settle on the RS6 afterall since the place I demo'ed the RS6 didn't have any GS20 in stock and maybe it is a good thing. The difference in price between both series (here in Canada) is pretty substantial and when buying a pair of the towers and the centre speaker, the difference between the silver and gold series was over 2k. Since I was blown away by how great these sounded (with my type of music), then I figure, if I don't hear the GS20, I won't miss them....Like they say, 'What you don't know won't hurt you'

Just a few posts back, mpmct, hifisponge, and myself discussed the RS6 vs. Gold series (including the Gold bookshelf). That might be helpful to you. In short, the Gold series will better resolution and precision...really just a bit more refined than the Silver series. This is no guarantee that you will prefer the Gold to the Silver series though. And as to whether the Gold is worth the extra money? So hard to say, it's up to you really. Stepping up to the Gold from the Silver does not provide as big an improvement as the Bronze to Silver, so you are definitely dealing with diminishing returns.
post #4527 of 10261 Old 12-07-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Just a few posts back, mpmct, hifisponge, and myself discussed the RS6 vs. Gold series (including the Gold bookshelf). That might be helpful to you. In short, the Gold series will better resolution and precision...really just a bit more refined than the Silver series. This is no guarantee that you will prefer the Gold to the Silver series though. And as to whether the Gold is worth the extra money? So hard to say, it's up to you really. Stepping up to the Gold from the Silver does not provide as big an improvement as the Bronze to Silver, so you are definitely dealing with diminishing returns.

I know and in fact, I have been sending a few PM to some of the people you mentionned and they have helped me alot. I understand the Gold in theory should be better but I don't have a way of auditionning them at the moment but I was extremely happy with the RS6. If I was paying an extra 50-70% for the gold, I'd go for it but paying 200% I don't think is worth it at the moment. I feel confident that the RS6 will bring me listening pleasure for a few years to come....
post #4528 of 10261 Old 12-08-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post

... I feel confident that the RS6 will bring me listening pleasure for a few years to come....

Now you're talking the kind of sanity that's rarely heard
'round these parts.

Enjoy your RS6s, they are excellent speakers.
post #4529 of 10261 Old 12-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmct View Post

Now you're talking the kind of sanity that's rarely heard
'round these parts.

Enjoy your RS6s, they are excellent speakers.

I totally agree here, if you loved them that much you will at home THEY ARE excellent speakers! and just enjoy them
post #4530 of 10261 Old 12-08-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

nsguy, Not being able to listen to the Golds saved you some cash. I had the RS6 and loved them, that was until I heard some GS20s. For the money the RS6 gives you an excellent speaker in terms of sound quality, build quality and looks. Enjoy them and get your SO something with the money saved.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page