Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Speakers > Monitor Audio Owners Thread
thegoldenhand's Avatar thegoldenhand 03:23 PM 10-12-2006
Hello MA'ers! What amp/receiver are you using with your MA speaker? I am ready to pull the trigger on 3 R225s for my 3.1 setup. I am looking at getting the Panasonic SA-XR55 or SA-XR57 for my amplifier. Is this a good match? Will the speakers be bright? Anybody here with a Panny digital amp paired with their MA speaker/s?

g.costanza's Avatar g.costanza 02:03 PM 10-13-2006
I'm using an XR57 w/ a pair of B4's. Sounds great to me! I received a used white MA "Baby" center speaker today. It's rated at 6 ohms. BOY, does the top of the XR57 get hot!
timma85's Avatar timma85 12:30 PM 10-15-2006
Hey everyone I just picked up a set of RS6's last night and I was wondering which receiver would work well with these guys. Right now I am using a Yamaha, but I am looking to upgrade. Any help would be appreciated.
Kevin M. Donlon's Avatar Kevin M. Donlon 12:52 PM 10-15-2006
Does anyone have the original spec sheet for the rear ported Silver 7i's? I googled and found nothing since they are 6+ years old now
petetherock's Avatar petetherock 05:12 PM 10-15-2006
Hi
I am using a XR57 with MA Bronze 2 and Centre plus JBL control 1x rears.
Nice soundfield, but the Panny is a bright amp, so make sure you like it and listen for a longer time. Works wonders for movies and pop, but can be quite tiring for violins and the like, use your ears.
P
RMK!'s Avatar RMK! 01:44 PM 10-16-2006
Has anyone here compared/heard the Onix Rocket or Reference models and compared them to the MA Gold or Silvers?
TNTguy's Avatar TNTguy 01:25 AM 10-17-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Has anyone here compared/heard the Onix Rocket or Reference models and compared them to the MA Gold or Silvers?

I would also be curious to hear thoughts on MA Gold and Onix Reference if anyone has experience with both. I hear good things about the Reference line.
dmedina's Avatar dmedina 05:53 PM 10-20-2006
Would it be satisfying to use another pair of B2's as surround speakers? Has anyone tried that? I am stopping by Magnolia tomorrow and want to start to build around my pair of B2s, and with such good prices at the moment, I am...

..stuck because I don't know if it's worth an extra $200 to instead purchase the BFX speakers for rear channels.

any ideas?
DKaps's Avatar DKaps 08:30 PM 10-20-2006
Dave,

The B2's are great little speakers. That aside, whether or not you should use them for surrounds mostly depends on their placement in the room related to seating. If you have enough room between the listeners and the speakers, and have free reign to put them right where you need to, direct radiating speakers can work very well. However, if you have anyone sitting too close to them, you'd be better off going with the BFX's. Personally, I use the older Silver FXi's for side surrounds and B2's for the rears.

Dan
dmedina's Avatar dmedina 11:17 PM 10-20-2006
That sounds pretty good. I have a small apartment and use a corner configuration. In fact, this diagram from Dolby really helped me out:

This is my exact setup. The layout of my living room necessitates a "corner room"... I thought the placement of the sub was interesting too. I do have a really small small room... maybe the FXs or even B1s might make more sense... I'll talk it over w/ the guys at Magnolia tomorrow.
petetherock's Avatar petetherock 04:24 PM 10-22-2006
Can someone answer this:

I read somewhere that the tweeters of the new Rs series are the same ones from the GR?

So if i buy the RS Series, thats a big upgrade from my Bronze?

Or should I save up for the GS (means spending less on surrounds etc)

Thanks

P
mpmct's Avatar mpmct 04:32 PM 10-22-2006
My GS 10s report: 9 days later, after having been
run-in 24/7, and still going, at medium/low volume.
( all that's allowed in my living circumstances ).

They were about four times the price
of the Bronze B2's they replaced, as you're probably aware.

Are they four times the speaker -- four times the music?

IMO ... not a moment's hesistation: Yes! Very! ...

... clarity, sound-stage, openness,
clear & present bass, but no mid-bass bloom -- right
where it belongs, both subtle and present where
it should be present.

Build quality: perfect.

Remarkable little speakers, these.
lorddraco's Avatar lorddraco 12:11 AM 11-01-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by timma85 View Post

Hey everyone I just picked up a set of RS6's last night and I was wondering which receiver would work well with these guys. Right now I am using a Yamaha, but I am looking to upgrade. Any help would be appreciated.

Denon could be good choice for your setup. I am using 2807 model, if listening more to music, denon could be a good match for RS6.
TNTguy's Avatar TNTguy 02:35 AM 11-01-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Can someone answer this:

I read somewhere that the tweeters of the new Rs series are the same ones from the GR?

So if i buy the RS Series, thats a big upgrade from my Bronze?

Or should I save up for the GS (means spending less on surrounds etc)

Thanks

P

Since no one has chimed in on this yet, yes the RS uses the same tweeter as the old GR series. The new GS is supposed to have a slightly more refined tweeter than the RS/GR. However, the midrange on the gold line is more open and spacious than the silver midrange IMO.

The RS series is an upgrade from the bronze. Should you save up for the GS? My answer would be it depends on what you are using the system for. If it is going to be used for mainly HT, I would go with the RS. I could not detect much difference between the silvers and golds for HT. If you are going to be listening to alot of music, I think the GS is worth the wait. The RS is solid, but the GS is more impressive for music. I am blown away by the sound of the gold line in two channel.

Only your ears can decide though. Audition both series if you can.
KRiS1's Avatar KRiS1 07:48 AM 11-01-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorddraco View Post

Denon could be good choice for your setup. I am using 2807 model, if listening more to music, denon could be a good match for RS6.

As a Denon/MA owner in my experience, if listening to 2 channel music is high on your list, I would say try out something from Rotel or Arcam.
lorddraco's Avatar lorddraco 10:18 AM 11-01-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRiS1 View Post

As a Denon/MA owner in my experience, if listening to 2 channel music is high on your list, I would say try out something from Rotel or Arcam.

Agree ... Rotel or Arcam will really be great for just listening to 2 channel music. For me, I am on 40% movies and 60% music. So Denon 2807 sound great for me but couldnt maximize the performance of RS for music.
Mike N Ike's Avatar Mike N Ike 02:11 PM 11-01-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTguy View Post

The RS series is an upgrade from the bronze. Should you save up for the GS? My answer would be it depends on what you are using the system for. If it is going to be used for mainly HT, I would go with the RS. I could not detect much difference between the silvers and golds for HT. If you are going to be listening to alot of music, I think the GS is worth the wait. The RS is solid, but the GS is more impressive for music. I am blown away by the sound of the gold line in two channel.

Only your ears can decide though. Audition both series if you can.

I mostly agree. I recently upgraded from the Silver S8's/SLCR to the GS. To me the difference was nearly night and day. Certainly in 2 channel and I think in HT also, especially when you consider how much music is in some movies. And the GS center gave a whole new clarity to dialog. I was able to audition the GS at home before buying. That really helps.

Thanks Matt ("AudioArchitect") for the auditions!!

I have been driving the MA's with a Pioneer Elite 56txi - and it was ok - if a little bright. Last week I got a Parasound Halo A51 to audition at home. Not night an day but clearly an improvement. I'm leaning to keeping the Halo and using the 56 as the pre/pro.

Anyone else using Halo to drive their MA's?

Mike
petetherock's Avatar petetherock 02:18 PM 11-01-2006
Thanks for replying

I am swaying towards a GS LCR times 3 set up rather than a RS6 and RS LCR front, and use the outgoing Bronze Dipoles for the rears. Will save for this even though I have a 70 / 30 HT / Music mix.

Do the GS or RS suck up a lot of power?

I have a 120W PC THX amp.

(sorry auditions are hard to come by down under )
badmals's Avatar badmals 02:47 PM 11-01-2006
Has anyone here heard the radius in-ceiling (stereo or other wise), I am thinking of installing a pair for rear surround speakers to match front radius 250's. Thanks for any wisdom.
Mike N Ike's Avatar Mike N Ike 03:18 PM 11-01-2006
Quote:

Do the GS or RS suck up a lot of power?
I have a 120W PC THX amp.

I wish I had a definitive answer to that. Without question my 110w/ch Pioneer was able to drive the Golds. And they sounded better than the silvers with that same receiver. But the Halo A51 has made them sound a little better. Maybe it was the extra power of the Halo and maybe it's just a better amp design - maybe both.

Lot's of maybe's. And so many variables - size of room, room treatments, how loud you play...

I've read countless posts over in the AVS Audio Amp forums and lots of folks say the more power the better. At this point I can only go by what I can actually hear. I do play it louder now without it becoming tiring

Mike
mpmct's Avatar mpmct 07:28 PM 11-01-2006
[quote=Mike N Ike]I wish I had a definitive answer to that. Without question my 110w/ch Pioneer was able to drive the Golds. And they sounded better than the silvers with that same receiver.

FWIW, I'm temporarily driving my 2 week old GS 10s with an NAD 320BEE ( 50w/channel ), in an 18 x 14 ft room, and at levels up to moderately loud ( meaning one has to shout to be heard over the music ), and no problem whatsoever. Music is tight, clear, and articulate at that volume level. AudioArchitect has mentioned in his posts that the MAs are generally efficient, relative to for example, Dynaudios, which need more power. I hope I'm not misquoting him.
And again, FWIW, I have an Arcam A70 ( also 50w/channel ) on order. My local dealer assured me that that's plenty enough for the GS 10s in a medium to small size room -- but maybe not at tear down the rafters levels.
fkuti's Avatar fkuti 02:54 AM 11-03-2006
Hi!

Monitor Audio GS10 needs power and current if you wish to have the best control over them. This is evident especially with bass.

I have read a review (comparison of equally priced stand-speakers) of GS10 from swedish hifimagazine (Hifi&Musik) and they made measurements: 88db and minimum imbedance was 6.3 at 230hz. It also won the comparison! It took 10/10 points from sound.

Check this (different review):
no links allowed, weird again. well google "avreview" and "monitor audio gs10" "review" and so on... you should find the right u r l

Quote:
"Amplification inevitably affects the quality of bass and expensive power amps with plenty of grunt could extract an attractively tuneful result, more appropriately priced integrated amps on the other hand had more difficulty keeping things under control."

I have an Arcam FMJ A32 and thinking on buying a p35 power amplifier to bi-amp GS10. Of course I need to demo the A32 with GS10 alone first and then decide is it neccessary to buy p35. Also a good and fast sub might do the trick!

So more is better, but of course in the end it all comes to a personal taste and the amount of money to spend. GS10 is still a fabulous little speaker and not many at this price point comes even close.

Best regards
Fkuti
petetherock's Avatar petetherock 03:04 AM 11-03-2006
Hi all
Thanks for answering again.
I am considering 3 LCR for front and centre, considering HT is more important, will this be a better match than 1 LCR and 2 GS10?

The LCR is a sealed speaker as compared to the GS10 and there are not a lot of reviews on the LCR

I guess my 7.1 channel THX Marantz SR 12 should be adequate.

It coming together now, although I half have a mind still on the RS6, but I heard that the GS centre is much better than the RS version?

Obviously if I had no budget I would get GS20 and LCR for the front and centre.

P
mpmct's Avatar mpmct 08:49 AM 11-03-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkuti View Post

Hi!

Monitor Audio GS10 needs power and current if you wish to have the best control over them. This is evident especially with bass ...

Best regards
Fkuti

Just to add to/clarify my earlier post: I agree fully with Fkuti's assessment.

An ancedote: I tried the GS 10s with my vintage '93 Hafler preamp/amp,
the power amp, a beast by weight ( and heat! ) is a Mosfet, 125w/per channel.
Although it lost a tiny bit to the newer NAD in terms of clarity and
articulation ( no surprise ) it seemed to control the speakers better at higher
volume levels, particularly the bass -- tighter, faster, more 'in control', as Fkuti
suggested in his post. Might have even helped in that regard at low/medium volume levels too, but that was harder for me to judge. Not sure.

Regarding the GS 10s specifically: spent some time at my local dealer the other day, just for a hello. He is not a Monitor Audio dealer. After listening to the lines he carries ( many of the usual suspects ), just for fun -- and even with all the obvious variables acknowledged in this next statement -- I was very happy coming home and listening to the GS 10s. Very happy.
aeromorris's Avatar aeromorris 09:12 AM 11-03-2006
Quote:

Hi all
Thanks for answering again.
I am considering 3 LCR for front and centre, considering HT is more important, will this be a better match than 1 LCR and 2 GS10?

The LCR is a sealed speaker as compared to the GS10 and there are not a lot of reviews on the LCR

I guess my 7.1 channel THX Marantz SR 12 should be adequate.

It coming together now, although I half have a mind still on the RS6, but I heard that the GS centre is much better than the RS version?

Obviously if I had no budget I would get GS20 and LCR for the front and centre.

I've got Monitor Audio S6-fronts, S1-rears, and SLCR but I auditiond golds heavily before I purchased. IMO, you'd be better off buying 3 GS10s for the front soundstage instead of the LCR's. I just thought they sounded "better." I run all of my MA's with the foam port plugs installed so any advantage that the LCR may have had by being unported in nullified. As for your Marantz receiver, my brother-in-law and I have had great success with Marantz. He uses a SR8000 with Paradigm Monitor 9's and I've got a SR5500. I also like NAD products with Marants (That's what my dealer used).

-J
petetherock's Avatar petetherock 11:24 AM 11-03-2006
Thanks

I have the Bronze B2 and centre and I love it. I listened to a set of Thiel 2.4 through the Marantz SR18 (which I also own) and honestly, compared to my Bronze despite the tremendous rice difference, it wasn't blowing my skirt up!

I knowthis might be a MA forum, but just so I dont close my ears or options, what else in the same price range as GS10s or LCRs can I look at which runs well with my Marantz SR12?

PS: no interent based companies sadly, the shipping to down under (Australia) is prohibitive!
AudioArchitect's Avatar AudioArchitect 01:17 PM 11-03-2006
[quote=mpmct]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike N Ike View Post

I wish I had a definitive answer to that. Without question my 110w/ch Pioneer was able to drive the Golds. And they sounded better than the silvers with that same receiver.

FWIW, I'm temporarily driving my 2 week old GS 10s with an NAD 320BEE ( 50w/channel ), in an 18 x 14 ft room, and at levels up to moderately loud ( meaning one has to shout to be heard over the music ), and no problem whatsoever. Music is tight, clear, and articulate at that volume level. AudioArchitect has mentioned in his posts that the MAs are generally efficient, relative to for example, Dynaudios, which need more power. I hope I'm not misquoting him.
And again, FWIW, I have an Arcam A70 ( also 50w/channel ) on order. My local dealer assured me that that's plenty enough for the GS 10s in a medium to small size room -- but maybe not at tear down the rafters levels.

The Arcam A70 at 50 watts a channel will power the GS10s fine, but at reference levels it might not sound as controlled. I carry Arcam and Parasound Halo, among others, and I can tell you that I would recommend the Halo P3 and A23. You will get almost double the power, higher current, and separate components.

Arcam makes great components, but they are a politer sounding amplifier, and those GS10's will appreciate the extra current.
AudioArchitect's Avatar AudioArchitect 01:19 PM 11-03-2006
Quote:

Thanks

I have the Bronze B2 and centre and I love it. I listened to a set of Thiel 2.4 through the Marantz SR18 (which I also own) and honestly, compared to my Bronze despite the tremendous rice difference, it wasn't blowing my skirt up!

I knowthis might be a MA forum, but just so I dont close my ears or options, what else in the same price range as GS10s or LCRs can I look at which runs well with my Marantz SR12?

PS: no interent based companies sadly, the shipping to down under (Australia) is prohibitive!

You can try the new Focal Chorus 807 bookshelf as an alternative, or Dynaudio Audience 52, Focus 110, 140's. They are all incredible speakers.
petetherock's Avatar petetherock 02:14 PM 11-03-2006
Hey thanks
I had the Dyanudio Audience series
But even though they cost so much more than my Bronze set up, it was the MA that made me sit up!
I feel even with my THX amp the 4ohms of the Dyanuadios appreciate more power (I used to drive them with a Rotel 1080)
The Audience series had slightly more detail, but somehow something 'hung together' in a very emotive way for the Bronze.
The other speaker that made m efeel this way was the Epos ELS3 actually

I risk going out of topic, but do the MA GS (or RS series) 'prefer' any particular brand of wires/cables?

I have some cable talk from UK, and my rears are using some 16gauge OFC 'shark' cables, whilst the interconnects are mainly a mixture of audioquest and cable talk.

Thanks
mpmct's Avatar mpmct 03:10 PM 11-03-2006
[quote=AudioArchitect]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmct View Post

The Arcam A70 at 50 watts a channel will power the GS10s fine, but at reference levels it might not sound as controlled. I carry Arcam and Parasound Halo, among others, and I can tell you that I would recommend the Halo P3 and A23. You will get almost double the power, higher current, and separate components.

Arcam makes great components, but they are a politer sounding amplifier, and those GS10's will appreciate the extra current.

Update: have been running my new A70 and CD192 since yesterday evening, non-stop, with the GS 10s. My longer term plan is to add a "P70" power amp to the configuration, assuming of course that Arcam makes one -- that's a big assumption, I understand. Arcam told me by email that they had no comment regarding a future "P70". I'm taking my chances, but budget requires. It always comes down to budget, no?

Considering that I'm ancient ( 50 yrs old ), and must have suffered significant high frequency hearing loss from the hours upon hours of listening to Pete Townshend through headphones at dangerously levels, back in my youth ... some comments, for whatever they're worth, and some questions too:

The Arcam gear is very ... refined. Very clean, very articulate. The bass is also ... very clean, even maybe 'lean', as I've read others describe it on various forums. That suits me perfectly, but I suspect wouldn't suit everyone. I heard the GS 10s through a Musical Fidelity A3.5 ( or something like that ), and liked the sound very much. But I preferred the Arcam sound. I don't have adjectives to describe the difference. But I sure heard a difference in ... timbre, in emphasis. Maybe I was imagining, I don't know.

I'm using some broken-in Nordost Red Dawns, bi-wired. I have an old set of Kimbers, bottom of the line. Interestingly, with the GS 10s, for all my prejudice for lean and clean, and my old ear drums, the Kimbers sound cleaner. Yes, I would also describe them as somewhat darker, less articulate, but the Red Dawns are ... sort of cluttered in the ... mid/high treble range? The very highest treble notes are crystal clear, but somewhere just beneath the highest cymbal notes, the sound is cluttered, and frankly, annoying. My first question is then, to AudioArchitect and anyone else: have you heard the GS 10s, fully broken in ( mine have now 21 days 24/7 play time ) with Nordost cables -- Red Dawns, or any other models?

Something else ... my dealer sent me home with a pair of Nordost Vishnu power cables, for trial. Knowing what they will cost me, I still have to admit that they are indeed faster, more detailed, and also slightly 'leaner' than the stock Arcam cables. I was *not* a believer until I did 10 or more swaps. Alas.

Something else again ... I listened to Dynaudio bookshelves, the Focus series
at a dealer too far from me -- but the nearest dealer nonetheless. They were powered by an Arcam FMJ 32 integrated, and source was the FMJ CD player, forget the model number. If I hadn't already purchased the GS 10s. Exquisite, is the only adjective that I can think of.

Finally, can anyone offer advice regarding a safe/reasonable run-in time for
both the A70 and the CD192? My dealer suggested 100 hrs each. Is that in the ball park?

Thanks!
Tags: Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop