Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 160 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #4771 of 10277 Old 01-27-2009, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For me it's McIntosh. I'm sure others would make any number of choices, but i'm happy with my mine. I've used the MC252, the MC402, and even MC501's. I can't really say that i've noticed any difference between the McIntosh amps i've used, however, i'd say the MC252 would be the best value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 10277 Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB View Post

Yes I think I'm gonna have to jump on those we were always planning on replacing our 10's to 20's and I think his price is pretty good for those speakers.
Our plan is to move the 10's to the rear surround for 7.1 We don't have the room right now so not sure where they will go for now until we get a new home.
How much does a emotiva run anyway? I have a 3802 could I use that for more power?

They start around 499.99 for a decent 3-channel.

Check out my whole house build HERE
post #4773 of 10277 Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB View Post

Yes I think I'm gonna have to jump on those we were always planning on replacing our 10's to 20's and I think his price is pretty good for those speakers.
Our plan is to move the 10's to the rear surround for 7.1 We don't have the room right now so not sure where they will go for now until we get a new home.
How much does a emotiva run anyway? I have a 3802 could I use that for more power?

Yeah, Michael's price on the GS20 is hard to beat, besides, from what I know about the guy, he took really good care of all his equipments.
I bet you will be extremely happy with your decision once you receive the GS20 from him...
too bad he is not sure what to do with his whole setup yet, otherwise you 2 could swap the GS20 and GS10 and both be happy..

Back to the topic of amps, when you say 3802, you are referring to denon avr-3802 right? I assume it's your older receiver before getting the 3808??
I don't think you can isolate and only use the amp portion of the AVR..
However, one idea if you truely need more power, is to look for a 3 channel amp and drive the front 3 w/ the external amp and still drive the surrounds with 3808..
With the features of your 3808, it would make excellent pre/pros...
post #4774 of 10277 Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post

Yeah, Michael's price on the GS20 is hard to beat, besides, from what I know about the guy, he took really good care of all his equipments.
I bet you will be extremely happy with your decision once you receive the GS20 from him...
too bad he is not sure what to do with his whole setup yet, otherwise you 2 could swap the GS20 and GS10 and both be happy..

Back to the topic of amps, when you say 3802, you are referring to denon avr-3802 right? I assume it's your older receiver before getting the 3808??
However, one idea if you truely need more power, is to look for a 3 channel amp and drive the front 3 w/ the external amp and still drive the surrounds with 3808..

I bought the GS60's from him.

post #4775 of 10277 Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Justthinking thanks for the info good idea. Yes the 3808 replaced the 3802. I doubt he would want to just trade them outright. The AVR I wanted originally was Integra's 8.8(?) but I just couldn't justify the $1200 difference. Don't get me wrong the 3808 is a great AVR and so versatile it's hard not to go with it.
post #4776 of 10277 Old 01-28-2009, 11:32 PM

I don't suppose anyone here has compared either the GS20 or the GS60 to the PL300? The PL300 looks awfully awesome, wondering if I should be saving up for it over either of the GS models...
post #4777 of 10277 Old 01-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

Back to the topic of amps, when you say 3802, you are referring to denon avr-3802 right? I assume it's your older receiver before getting the 3808?? I don't think you can isolate and only use the amp portion of the AVR..

You can actually use the "Ext In" inputs of the receiver, which allows you to hook up an external pre-amp. I'm not certain it would bypass the receiver's volume control, in which case, you'd set the volume to unity gain or thereabouts.

Not sure it does you a lot of good though. I suppose if you bought a dedicated processor (no amp section) or for some reason needed an extra set of amps, it could be useful.
post #4778 of 10277 Old 01-29-2009, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrale View Post

I don't suppose anyone here has compared either the GS20 or the GS60 to the PL300? The PL300 looks awfully awesome, wondering if I should be saving up for it over either of the GS models...

I've owned both the GS and the PL's, but honestly, speaker preferences are so individual that I can't really answer your question. The PL's are a step up in resolution and bass power, but for some the PL's revealing nature can be a bit much. Well, unless you pair them with McIntosh amps, in which case they sound detailed yet smooth at the same time-- a wonderful combo. But again that is my personal experience and it may not match yours. I highly recommend you listen to both and let your ears decide.
post #4779 of 10277 Old 01-29-2009, 06:41 AM

Hello

It's time for some big decisions

I'm not very familiar with speakers but I have found good price for MA RS6, RS1,RS LCR AND RS-W12 at our lacal shop.

Now, please tell me if this combination is good for music and also for home theatre (50/50). Please describe me the sound characteristics for RS6, RS1..

Is it correct that I can compare this speakers with B&W 684, 686, HTM62, ASW610 or KEF Q series...? This are a lot more expensive then MA set.

Which AV receiver brands are going well together with MA silver line (is onkyo tx-sr876 or yamaha rx-v3900 good match)?

Do I have to be careful when choosing the cables?

Do you maybe know where on www can I find high res, high quality pictures?

Thank you very much for your answers.
post #4780 of 10277 Old 01-29-2009, 03:43 PM

Hello all:

I am going for my first HT setup and I interest in knowing the sound quality difference between the Silver series and the Gold series. I have read some posts saying the RS6 or 8 are very good speakers, but once you hear the GS10 or 20 the difference is night and day.

Also I would like to know the difference in sound quality between the GR20/60 to the GS20/60, I know one is the older model.

I am in no way a audiophile, but I would like to become one by getting the best speakers I can right now. Budget would be around 2k at most, so if I want the GS60 I would be looking for used deals. After looking through the forums for a long time now, I know most people want 5.1 setup right away but it is much smarter to get the best fronts and work your way from there. So I will be spending the most on the front speakers first then maybe add a Center and a sub then the rears. Frankly with the GS20/60 3.1 would be very impressive already.

I have plenty of time to wait and get the best deal, so should I aim for the GS, RS? or even GR if the sound quality is not that far from the GS
post #4781 of 10277 Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 PM

The new PLC150 is now listed on the MA's UK site together w/ the interesting Classic Rock PL300..
Too bad the PL100 will be too big to use as surround for me and there is no PLFX available..
post #4782 of 10277 Old 01-29-2009, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The new PLC150 is now listed on the MA's UK site together w/ the interesting Classic Rock PL300..
Too bad the PL100 will be too big to use as surround for me and there is no PLFX available..

I'm like, what the the heck are "Classic Rock PL300's"?

These are pretty wild.

KMC45 - When will you be getting your set for your MA speaker collection?
post #4783 of 10277 Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

I dont see a picture of a firebird on those bad boys.

post #4784 of 10277 Old 01-30-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubej View Post

Hello

I'm not very familiar with speakers but I have found good price for MA RS6, RS1,RS LCR AND RS-W12 at our lacal shop.

Now, please tell me if this combination is good for music and also for home theatre (50/50). Please describe me the sound characteristics for RS6, RS1..

Is it correct that I can compare this speakers with B&W 684, 686, HTM62, ASW610 or KEF Q series...? This are a lot more expensive then MA set.

Which AV receiver brands are going well together with MA silver line (is onkyo tx-sr876 or yamaha rx-v3900 good match)?

Anyone , please, please reply.

Thank you.
br
post #4785 of 10277 Old 01-30-2009, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello

BR -

I think the reason you haven't gotten a response is because picking speakers is a very personal decision. It's like asking which piece of art would be the most appealing to you. You really have to listen for yourself to decide. Just because the GS's are a model up from the RS does not guarantee that you will like the GS's better. With that said, I find that the RS's are a bit laid-back in comparison to the GS's. Vocals and other midrange content are less up-front. This is not a bad thing and can work well with modern pop, rock and r&b. The GS's are more neutral and can do a great job of giving you that "performer in the room" type of experience. This comes at a bit of a cost in my opinion though. At higher volumes, things like older rock, and modern pop can sound a bit agressive / edgy. Some people like that sort of sound and find it exciting, others don't. So again it is best that you bring a collection of your music to the store and see which speakers make your music sound the best.

One other thought. You are admittedly new to the hobby, so you are likely to be less critical so there is a good chance that you will be delighted with either the RS or the GS. I've been a hardcore audiophile for the past 15 years so I am much more discerning (anal? ) than I used to be.

In regards to AV receivers, honestly they are pretty much a commodity at this point. None of them are going to sound drastically different than another within a given price range. Marantz does seem to be a touch "fuller" sounding, which pairs well with the MA's. But in the end I would just get the best model you can afford that has the features you want.

Not too many people in this forum believe that expensive cables have much value, and I'm in that camp too. Just make sure the interconnects you get are shielded and that the speaker cable is between 14 and 12 gauge.

Hi-rez pics can be found here:
http://www.mafocus.co.uk/items.php?item=22

Let me know if I can be of any further help.
post #4786 of 10277 Old 01-30-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Do you think I wasted $20? It is a R180.

I picked this up off e-bay. Description says it works but has a crimped tweeter.

I saw there is a fellow listed in this thread at Kevro who has helped others. If the tweeter is kaput, do you think I'll have much luck getting a replacement part given my second hand purchase? How difficult is it to replace a tweeter anyways?

Any hope the tweeter will work as is? I guess I'll find out soon.
post #4787 of 10277 Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

BR -

I think the reason you haven't gotten a response is because picking speakers is a very personal decision. It's like asking which piece of art would be the most appealing to you. You really have to listen for yourself to decide. Just because the GS's are a model up from the RS does not guarantee that you will like the GS's better. With that said, I find that the RS's are a bit laid-back in comparison to the GS's. Vocals and other midrange content are less up-front. This is not a bad thing and can work well with modern pop, rock and r&b. The GS's are more neutral and can do a great job of giving you that "performer in the room" type of experience. This comes at a bit of a cost in my opinion though. At higher volumes, things like older rock, and modern pop can sound a bit agressive / edgy. Some people like that sort of sound and find it exciting, others don't. So again it is best that you bring a collection of your music to the store and see which speakers make your music sound the best.

One other thought. You are admittedly new to the hobby, so you are likely to be less critical so there is a good chance that you will be delighted with either the RS or the GS. I've been a hardcore audiophile for the past 15 years so I am much more discerning (anal? ) than I used to be.

In regards to AV receivers, honestly they are pretty much a commodity at this point. None of them are going to sound drastically different than another within a given price range. Marantz does seem to be a touch "fuller" sounding, which pairs well with the MA's. But in the end I would just get the best model you can afford that has the features you want.

Not too many people in this forum believe that expensive cables have much value, and I'm in that camp too. Just make sure the interconnects you get are shielded and that the speaker cable is between 14 and 12 gauge.

Hi-rez pics can be found here:
http://www.mafocus.co.uk/items.php?item=22

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Thank you for your answer and link to pictures, this is exactly what I was looking but I forgot exact web address.
Br
post #4788 of 10277 Old 01-30-2009, 12:16 PM

I realize that monitor does not have an online presence, but does any body know of a reputable dealer on line that will sell something like the rs series? I'm really interested in the rs6 and lcr, but i live in a small town that doesn't even have a store to go test any speakers. Thanks for any info
post #4789 of 10277 Old 01-30-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokenhagen View Post

I realize that monitor does not have an online presence, but does any body know of a reputable dealer on line that will sell something like the rs series? I'm really interested in the rs6 and lcr, but i live in a small town that doesn't even have a store to go test any speakers. Thanks for any info

I don't think you'll find "genuine" MA speakers if you try to get them online (unless you're looking in the used market of course). Go to Monitor Audio's Web site and try the dealer locator.
post #4790 of 10277 Old 01-31-2009, 01:00 AM

I believe the only distributor authorized to sell MA speakers over the internet is Saturday Audio..
If you buy from any other un-authorized location over the internet or even used one from place like audiogon, you will not have warranty from MA..
To be honest, I don't mind manufacturers not offering warranty if purchases were made from un-authorized dealers..
However, I really don't understand why warranty is not transferable between end-user to end-user..
It's not just MA, same holds true for almost all other speaker manufacturers and equipment makers...
post #4791 of 10277 Old 01-31-2009, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Like everyone else, i started with a small budget then figured i'd get something nice after re evaluation. I got a chance to listen to a pair of BR6's and they sounded really nice (unfortunately, those are the only high end speakers in this town. the store didn't even have anything else). I don't know if i should ask this here or in the main forum, but could you guys critique and help with this setup? I'll probably be doing 50% movies, 40% tv, and 10% gaming. I have about a 15'x16' room:

RS6 mains (possibly rs8 if i can find a good deal)
RS LCR
ed a2-300 sub

powered by pioneer avr (either 1018 or vsx 01). I'm not sure i want the rs1's for surround...could someone recommend a good pair of surrounds <$300 (doesn't have to be monitor). Also, has anyone ever dealt with saturday audio and had good experiences? Sorry for all the questions, in my town we just don't have anywhere to go listen to other speakers. thanks again
post #4792 of 10277 Old 02-02-2009, 04:35 AM

Hifisponge, vantagesc and others...
I see that you are MA experts, please post your comments on below writing.

Speakers from silver series are many times described as: bright, forward sounding, too detailed with treble sparkle, harsh….(this are comments from this and other forums).

What do you think, are this speakers so far away from neutral sound. I plan to have ONKYO TX-SR876 or YAMAHA RX-V1900 which are also bright (not the warmest receivers).

So, if I gor for RS6... and onkyo combo will this realy be so bright. Can I do something to reduce this brightness, maybe with warm speaker cable or something else.
Yes, I know that I should listen this speakers but unfortunatelly I can only buy them online, not at local shop.

One more question, how good is RSW12 sub, is it worth buying or do you recommend something else.

Ma silver series is high on my list but I prefer more neutral sound.

Thank you.
Br
post #4793 of 10277 Old 02-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Hifisponge, vantagesc and others...
I see that you are MA experts, please post your comments on below writing.

Speakers from silver series are many times described as: bright, forward sounding, too detailed with treble sparkle, harsh.(this are comments from this and other forums).

What do you think, are this speakers so far away from neutral sound. I plan to have ONKYO TX-SR876 or YAMAHA RX-V1900 which are also bright (not the warmest receivers).

So, if I gor for RS6... and onkyo combo will this realy be so bright. Can I do something to reduce this brightness, maybe with warm speaker cable or something else.
Yes, I know that I should listen this speakers but unfortunatelly I can only buy them online, not at local shop.

One more question, how good is RSW12 sub, is it worth buying or do you recommend something else.

Ma silver series is high on my list but I prefer more neutral sound.

Thank you.
Br

Meh, some of that "harshness" or whatever could be attributed to something as simple as improper setup. I know that my GS10's can get like that quite easily if I give them too much toe-in where they are basically firing directly at my head. My speakers are actually aimed at a convergance point a few feet behind my seating position. So basically, what I'm saying is that it may not be the speakers, it could be something else entirely. Also, everyone hears things differently and has different tastes. If not, there would only be one speaker manufacturer or design on the market.
post #4794 of 10277 Old 02-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

lubej,
Unfortunately this is a very difficult question because everyone has a different threshold for brightness / harshness. The treble does have a bit of "sparkle" that accentuates detail and this is a good thing at times (cymbals and piano notes in particular sound quite good). Paired with Denon receiver (including Audyssey EQ), my GR10s sound great with Blurays and I don't think the system is overly bright. The treble is titled slightly though and after careful listening, you can hear this slight lift. Some people don't like this and it fatigues their ears, especially when paired with poor electronics.

Audyssey (which also comes with the Onkyo) can help tame this if the added detail is not for you. However, it's hard to say whether you will utlimately like the sound, with our without Audyssey. The RS6 is very popular because the speaker is very well rounded for the price. Good bass, nice midrange, and a clear treble region.

As for the subs, I have not personally heard the RSW12, so I cannot say too much about it. When shopping for my sub, I did not consider an MA sub. There are other subs on the market of similar price that seem to offer a bit more extension and output, based on the spec sheets.
post #4795 of 10277 Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkshift View Post

Meh, some of that "harshness" or whatever could be attributed to something as simple as improper setup. I know that my GS10's can get like that quite easily if I give them too much toe-in where they are basically firing directly at my head. My speakers are actually aimed at a convergance point a few feet behind my seating position. So basically, what I'm saying is that it may not be the speakers, it could be something else entirely. Also, everyone hears things differently and has different tastes. If not, there would only be one speaker manufacturer or design on the market.

I have had the same experience. Playing with toe-in can have a large effect on sound. I find that the soundstage size increases (and less perceived brightness) with less toe-in and imaging increases with more toe-in.
post #4796 of 10277 Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

lubej -

I would not go as far as to call the MA speakers harsh, but I felt that they could be a bit zingy / edgy on recordings that already lean that way. Not so much with the RS series though. Honestly, I think that since you are new to the hobby you will be more than pleased with the sound. I can't think of another speaker in the price range that I would take over the RS6.
post #4797 of 10277 Old 02-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

I can't think of another speaker in the price range that I would take over the RS6.

I think that says it all right there...I definitely agree in terms of floorstanders. Was really impressed with the RS6 compared to the equivalent B&W 600 series a few years back. Had I not bought the GR10s used, I would have gone with the RS6 without reservation.
post #4798 of 10277 Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 PM

Thank you for your answers.

What sub do you recommend in the RS W12 price range....and is better than RS W12

One more question, do you thing that speaker cables (warm, neutral, laid back...) can make a difference. Please tell me few such cables.

Does MA recommends any particular cables.
Br
post #4799 of 10277 Old 02-02-2009, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What sub do you recommend in the RS W12 price range....and is better than RS W12

Br

The issue with the MA subs is that they don't have the best low-end output, which makes them better for music than movies. Then again, if you stick the MA sub in a corner, you're likely to get less room boom than a sub that is flat down to 20Hz in that same position. Check out SVS, HSU and Epik, and Rythmik for good performing / high value subs.
post #4800 of 10277 Old 02-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One more question, do you thing that speaker cables (warm, neutral, laid back...) can make a difference. Please tell me few such cables.

Does MA recommends any particular cables.
Br

I bought a Rythmik 12" because I liked its particular mix of size, extension, and output. It sounds drum tight for music as well. The other brands hifisponge mentioned also offer good choices. Each has their unique strengths and weaknesses.

Personally, I try to stay away from trying to alter my system's basic sound with cables. While it's true that system "synergy" can be important (so that flaws in a component are not exacerbated), I think the job of cables is to be accurate and reliable. You don't need to spend a lot of money to accomplish this. Some cables (such as certain MIT cables) can roll off the highs a bit. Your money is better spent elsewhere IMO.

Just my 2 cents. Others will have different approaches.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page