Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 178 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #5311 of 10383 Old 06-05-2009, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, and the price is also awesome. I can get a killer-deal on RS6 and when auditioning them there is little difference, the GS is a bit more detailed and with larger scale, but RS6 har more BF$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 10383 Old 06-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony777 View Post

The look of my rosenut RS6 vary greatly depending on the light, and the speakers in the photo that jakja83 attached look exactly like mine.

I've never seen walnut in person, but from photos it looks much darker:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/m...ett/walnut.jpg

Then again, maybe I'm wrong...

When I saw them, the Walnut was just a tad darker, but I much preferred the Rosenut.
post #5313 of 10383 Old 06-05-2009, 06:33 PM

I have just purchased a pair of GS20 speakers after having owned the RS6's for about 14 months. I only listen to music, no HT. I'm driving them with a NAD C355BEE integrated amp and a NAD C542 CD player. I listen to mostly jazz, classical, acoustic guitar and soft rock.

I've been spending the last few days comparing both using the A-B speaker switch on my amp and I wanted to share my thoughts on the differences between the two.

For about a month, I've read this entire thread trying to rationalize to myself as to why I should move up to the GS20's and I think that is what a lot of the readers of this forum are doing based on the numerous questions seeking opinions between the two.

Since I'm not a real "audiophile" I'm going to describe this using non audiophile terms.

Last week I came across a great deal for the GS20's and purchased them without ever listening to any other Monitor Audio speakers other than my RS6's. Based on the feedback they've received in this forum, I made the plunge. Maybe my observations will help someone else who is considering moving up to the GS line.

When I first hooked them up I have to admit I was a little disappointed. I had envisioned a night and day difference with them. Not that they've been described like that in this forum, but I built them up in my mind to be a huge difference. They sounded very nice but like I said, they didn't blow me out of the water.

This happened after I hooked up the RS6's again and started doing A-B comparisons. This is when I was finally blown out of the water and here is why.

When listening to my RS6's in the past I always felt I was missing something. There never seemed to be "enough" room filling music. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I knew I was missing something. This is the first thing I noticed with the GS20's. They fill the room with music and it's like you're sitting in front of the orchestra or band.

I think the correct term for this is "soundstaging". When I close my eyes listening to the GS20's, I can imagine the whole orchestra is right in front of me, a little bit to the sides and the sound extends from about 3 feet in front of the speakers to about 3 feet behind them. (I'm sitting about 12 feet away from the speakers).

Whereas with the RS6's while switching back and forth the sound seems to be coming from a "round whole" about 4-5 feet wide, very concentrated and it always seems to me that this sound was always coming a little bit more from the right.

With the GS20's, the sound always see to equally balanced with the vocals being directly in the center of my head and I can envision all the instruments where they are at "on the stage".

The other big difference I've noticed is that the RS6's sound slightly "muffled" as compared to the GS20's. It's not that the GS20's are bright, just a lot cleaner and detailed and just has more sound. You hear more music!

So what did I learn? Yes, the GS20's are definitely a better sounding speaker than the RS6's. If you don't compare them side by side with the RS6's, then you'll probably will be very contented staying with the RS6.

But let me warn you, if you do a side by side comparison, you probably will never be able to go back to listening to the RS6's. I can't.

Once you hear what you've been missing, it would be hard giving it up.

Do the RS20's sound 3 times better than the RS6's at 3 times the cost? No. IMO, I'm not sure if I would be happy paying 3 times the cost for the GS20's. I picked mine up for about twice what I paid for my RS6's (used demos). At this price point, I'm happy with the price/performance ratio.

However, it might be cheaper for you to just bite the bullet and buy the GS20's than buying other less expensive speakers because if you're in love with your RS6's but you're looking for "more sound" you're probably going to end up buying GS20's in the long run at a total greater cost.

Hope this helps.

Ken
post #5314 of 10383 Old 06-05-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonAudioGuy View Post

I have just purchased a pair of GS20 speakers after having owned the RS6's for about 14 months. I only listen to music, no HT. I'm driving them with a NAD C355BEE integrated amp and a NAD C542 CD player. I listen to mostly jazz, classical, acoustic guitar and soft rock.

I've been spending the last few days comparing both using the A-B speaker switch on my amp and I wanted to share my thoughts on the differences between the two.

For about a month, I've read this entire thread trying to rationalize to myself as to why I should move up to the GS20's and I think that is what a lot of the readers of this forum are doing based on the numerous questions seeking opinions between the two.

Since I'm not a real "audiophile" I'm going to describe this using non audiophile terms.

Last week I came across a great deal for the GS20's and purchased them without ever listening to any other Monitor Audio speakers other than my RS6's. Based on the feedback they've received in this forum, I made the plunge. Maybe my observations will help someone else who is considering moving up to the GS line.

When I first hooked them up I have to admit I was a little disappointed. I had envisioned a night and day difference with them. Not that they've been described like that in this forum, but I built them up in my mind to be a huge difference. They sounded very nice but like I said, they didn't blow me out of the water.

This happened after I hooked up the RS6's again and started doing A-B comparisons. This is when I was finally blown out of the water and here is why.

When listening to my RS6's in the past I always felt I was missing something. There never seemed to be "enough" room filling music. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I knew I was missing something. This is the first thing I noticed with the GS20's. They fill the room with music and it's like you're sitting in front of the orchestra or band.

I think the correct term for this is "soundstaging". When I close my eyes listening to the GS20's, I can imagine the whole orchestra is right in front of me, a little bit to the sides and the sound extends from about 3 feet in front of the speakers to about 3 feet behind them. (I'm sitting about 12 feet away from the speakers).

Whereas with the RS6's while switching back and forth the sound seems to be coming from a "round whole" about 4-5 feet wide, very concentrated and it always seems to me that this sound was always coming a little bit more from the right.

With the GS20's, the sound always see to equally balanced with the vocals being directly in the center of my head and I can envision all the instruments where they are at "on the stage".

The other big difference I've noticed is that the RS6's sound slightly "muffled" as compared to the GS20's. It's not that the GS20's are bright, just a lot cleaner and detailed and just has more sound. You hear more music!

So what did I learn? Yes, the GS20's are definitely a better sounding speaker than the RS6's. If you don't compare them side by side with the RS6's, then you'll probably will be very contented staying with the RS6.

But let me warn you, if you do a side by side comparison, you probably will never be able to go back to listening to the RS6's. I can't.

Once you hear what you've been missing, it would be hard giving it up.

Do the RS20's sound 3 times better than the RS6's at 3 times the cost? No. IMO, I'm not sure if I would be happy paying 3 times the cost for the GS20's. I picked mine up for about twice what I paid for my RS6's (used demos). At this price point, I'm happy with the price/performance ratio.

However, it might be cheaper for you to just bite the bullet and buy the GS20's than buying other less expensive speakers because if you're in love with your RS6's but you're looking for "more sound" you're probably going to end up buying GS20's in the long run at a total greater cost.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Wholeheartedly agree with the soundstage comment. When I bought mine I did an A/B comparison with similarly priced B&W XT's - it was absolutely night & day, or more accurately the XT's sounded totally 2 dimensional by comparison.

YMMV but just to say that the GS20's do benefit with bi-amping too. Again, not drastically but there is a noticeable improvement to the "definition" of the instruments in the soundstage.
post #5315 of 10383 Old 06-06-2009, 02:58 AM

Hell everybody,

I own both GS20+GSLCR and RS6+RSLCR. RCLCR is lying in a box and not used at the moment. I went on a shopping spree last December having bought first the RS fronts and center, and was really happy, for a few days! Then I found an incredible pre-Christmas deal for the equivalent GS setup and decided to go for it, thinking I'd sell the RS later--I didn't. I was able to compare them at home at my own leasure and I can confirm what has been said in the posts above, the GS make me grin, they sound...natural, this is the word, they sound like you ever want music to sound, effortlessly dealing with extreme high notes, as well as making sure the bass and mid-range are warm and yet so detailed, without being overbearing or tiring. I can listen to music, movies, news, you name it, the whole day if needs be and it is a real bliss.

The biggest difference as I saw it was in the GSLCR vs. RSLCR. The center carries the dialogue in movies and the difference in this case is 4-5 times in favor of GSLCR, if I have to put a number on it. For the front floorstanders, I'd say the difference is about 2.5 times better for Gold vs. Silver, with the former being so much more musical and totally able to deal with very demanding music passages, be it rock or classic.

I ended up with the 5.0 configuration with the RS fronts used as left and right surrounds and it sounds amazing. Good Audissey calibration with Onkyo SR876 helps a lot to create a huge soundstage and everything is incredibly precise in space. I watched "The Mexican" in Satellite HD (_just_ Dolby Digital) last night and the dialogue is always _exactly_ where the characters are located, and totally clear. Blu-rays, especially the best with sound, like Wanted, sound mind-blowing, it's another world from Dolby Digital altogether.

Pioneer KURO 9G 50"; Monitor Audio PL300, PL100, Sunfire Sub; Oppo BDP-95, Ayre V-5xe.

post #5316 of 10383 Old 06-06-2009, 11:52 AM

Dears,

I'm using RS6's for almost 3 months in my stereo setup hooked up to Roksan Kandy int.amp.
Now I bought Denon 3808 AVR to go with 5.0 setup..

I'll be buying RSLCR in couple of weeks..But I can't decide to go with RSFX or BRFX for rears..

My sofa is just stick to back wall so there is no ideal way to buy RS1 or BR1..

What do you think?Should I stick with RSFX or can I go with BRFX to save some money?
post #5317 of 10383 Old 06-06-2009, 07:46 PM
bp_

deleted
post #5318 of 10383 Old 06-06-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp_ View Post

I am looking at the Monitor line of Polk speakers

The Polk Monitor series is *not* the same as Monitor Audio--you should post in this thread instead.

Michael
post #5319 of 10383 Old 06-07-2009, 06:39 AM
bp_

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDub View Post

The Polk Monitor series is *not* the same as Monitor Audio--you should post in this thread instead.

Michael

Thanks!
post #5320 of 10383 Old 06-10-2009, 11:44 AM

Liked: 11
I just purchased a dealer demo pair of Piano Black GS20s and a new GS LCR.

Everything arrived and I got it all set up yesterday. I am amazed by the quality of packaging from Monitor Audio. There's even a nice little toolbox with a cloth for wiping down the speakers as well as all the spikes with a level to make sure everything is balanced.

The beauty of the piano black speakers was matched only by it's sound. WOW! I had auditioned the GS20s side by side with the RS6 at a dealer and definitely heard the difference, but after having them in my home I came away even more impressed. Even with my puny Pioneer Elite Receiver (no dedicated amp yet), the sound fills the room.

Not only that, I got the WOW response from my wife too. Even she felt they were well worth the extra money for the upgrade. The movies we watch really come to life now.

If anyone is debating getting the GS series over the RS, I really think there is no comparison at all. The GS smacks down the RS.
post #5321 of 10383 Old 06-10-2009, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm glad to see another one bitten by the Piano Black bug

The only complaint I have about the GS speakers is that badly recorded CDs no longer are playable as the noisy backgrounds from the original recordings are perfectly reproduced as well.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-600A | NAD T775 | HTPC with XBMC | Panasonic DMP-BD60 (multiregion)
1x Monitor Audio GSLCR | 2x Monitor Audio GS20 | 4x Monitor Audio GSFX | SVS PB-13 Ultra
Current HT | New HT build coming soon.
post #5322 of 10383 Old 06-10-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post

I'm glad to see another one bitten by the Piano Black bug

The only complaint I have about the GS speakers is that badly recorded CDs no longer are playable as the noisy backgrounds from the original recordings are perfectly reproduced as well.

I think if you read the MA user guide, it recommends listening to them from another room!
post #5323 of 10383 Old 06-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@verick View Post

I
If anyone is debating getting the GS series over the RS, I really think there is no comparison at all. The GS smacks down the RS.

I should hope so at 3x the cost! :-P
post #5324 of 10383 Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony777 View Post

I should hope so at 3x the cost! :-P

I adjusted my budget from a full 5.1 with the MA RS6/RSLCR/RS10 line to just the MA GS20/GSLCR from the gold line. I will upgrade my surrounds at a later date.

And I went with dealer demo's from Audiogon.com to get a good deal. At the end my cost was not more than $500 over my original budget. But it was well worth it!
post #5325 of 10383 Old 06-10-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Everything arrived and I got it all set up yesterday. I am amazed by the quality of packaging from Monitor Audio. There's even a nice little toolbox with a cloth for wiping down the speakers as well as all the spikes with a level to make sure everything is balanced.

The beauty of the piano black speakers was matched only by it's sound. WOW! I had auditioned the GS20s side by side with the RS6 at a dealer and definitely heard the difference, but after having them in my home I came away even more impressed. Even with my puny Pioneer Elite Receiver (no dedicated amp yet), the sound fills the room.

Not only that, I got the WOW response from my wife too. Even she felt they were well worth the extra money for the upgrade. The movies we watch really come to life now.

I've heard both these speakers in a A-B comparison and the differences are subtle at best. I suspect you would have been just as blown away by the RS6 in your own living room, but that certainly shouldn't prevent you from enjoying your GS20s.

The "wow" response when you got the GS20 home cannot be fairly used to widen the gap with the RS6 impressions at the dealer, especially considering you weren't blown away by the differences while at the dealer.
post #5326 of 10383 Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm glad everything reached you in great condition and you're excited about your purchase! To clean the piano gloss finish, I recommend a Swiffer duster first and then if there are any finger prints, I use a microfiber towel and any high-quality auto detailing spray such as Mothers, Eagle One, etc. I spray it on the towel and then wipe and buff the finish to a shine. Have fun with your new toys!
post #5327 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

M@verick I completely agree with you,for us the GS line was hands down better than the RS line. All around more detail and the soundstage was better. We went over budget it too but we would have regretted not going with GS20/10's. I will say that for the $$$ the RS line is very very very hard to beat for what you get. We auditioned many speakers and the RS line sounded 3X their price.
M@verick we have a 3808 and added EMO XPA-3 to run the front three and we really like what it did to the sound.
post #5328 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtommers View Post

I've heard both these speakers in a A-B comparison and the differences are subtle at best. I suspect you would have been just as blown away by the RS6 in your own living room, but that certainly shouldn't prevent you from enjoying your GS20s.

The "wow" response when you got the GS20 home cannot be fairly used to widen the gap with the RS6 impressions at the dealer, especially considering you weren't blown away by the differences while at the dealer.

I guess I don't know the circumstances of your A-B audition, and to me these things are quite subjective, but my opinion couldn't be more different. For a time, I owned both sets (RS6 and RSLCR as well as GS20 and GSLCR) at the same time and A-B'd them myself in the same room of my house with the same equipment. I did this as an exercise in deciding which one to keep, but the difference between the GS and RS were so far from subtle that it was an easy decision and I sold the RS's off. YMMV
post #5329 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:

By the way, though, I do agree with the quote above...could be a very apples to oranges comparison.
post #5330 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Actually I was blown away at the dealer too but was discouraged by the cost difference between the two lines. Luckily kwkshift helped me out big time!
post #5331 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post

I guess I don't know the circumstances of your A-B audition, and to me these things are quite subjective, but my opinion couldn't be more different. For a time, I owned both sets (RS6 and RSLCR as well as GS20 and GSLCR) at the same time and A-B'd them myself in the same room of my house with the same equipment. I did this as an exercise in deciding which one to keep, but the difference between the GS and RS were so far from subtle that it was an easy decision and I sold the RS's off. YMMV

+1. Exactly the same A-B in home. Nearly night and day.

Mike
post #5332 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 AM

What HI-FI doesn't seem as enthusiastic:

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Monitor-Audio-GS20/
http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Monit...io-Silver-RS6/

Of course, YMMV.

Hopefully you guys were doing your A-B tests blind. I've found that results always tend to be skewed towards the pricier equipment when you know what you're listening to. Anyways, let me remind people that we're comparing a $1000 speaker to a $3000 speaker. Not a fair comparison by any means, but the fact that we're even discussing the comparison speaks volumes.
post #5333 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:

What HI-FI doesn't seem as enthusiastic:

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Monitor-Audio-GS20/
http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Monit...io-Silver-RS6/

Of course, YMMV.

Hopefully you guys were doing your A-B tests blind. I've found that results always tend to be skewed towards the pricier equipment when you know what you're listening to. Anyways, let me remind people that we're comparing a $1000 speaker to a $3000 speaker. Not a fair comparison by any means, but the fact that we're even discussing the comparison speaks volumes.

Read all you want, when it comes to speakers, I listen to what my ears tell me
post #5334 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Hopefully it was just your ears talking, and not your ears and eyes
post #5335 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Me as well

I auditioned several similarly priced speakers at the time I purchased mine and I was actually was expecting to purchase B&W's but the MA's were by far and away, the best sound.

YMMV, indeed!
post #5336 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhb View Post

Me as well

I auditioned several similarly priced speakers at the time I purchased mine and I was actually was expecting to purchase B&W's but the MA's were by far and away, the best sound.

YMMV, indeed!

I'm a huge fan of MA speakers, I'm just not convinced that the GS20 is nearly as good of a value as the RS6. I think the RS6 is the best sub $1200 speaker I've ever heard, but at the $3000 price point there's lots of other equally great options to the GS20.
post #5337 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyways, let me remind people that we're comparing a $1000 speaker to a $3000 speaker. Not a fair comparison by any means, but the fact that we're even discussing the comparison speaks volumes.

Perfectly put!
post #5338 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm a huge fan of MA speakers, I'm just not convinced that the GS20 is nearly as good of a value as the RS6. I think the RS6 is the best sub $1200 speaker I've ever heard, but at the $3000 price point there's lots of other equally great options to the GS20.

I own the GS20/GSLCR in that lovely piano black and just prior to that owned the RS6/RSLCR.

I would say the difference is more than subtle, but not HUGE. I auditioned many speakers in the $3000 range including Paradigm Studio, PSB Synchrony and B&W. To my ears the Monitor Audios were a clear winner over the B&W/Paradigm and a VERY slight winner over PSB.

I agree that the RS6 is the best "bang for the buck" speaker I've heard.

Jgiddyup
post #5339 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:

I must have missed something. I thought the original topic was the A-B test results. When did it become that other fun exercise to define value?

Mike
post #5340 of 10383 Old 06-11-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Hopefully it was just your ears talking, and not your ears and eyes

Well, the GS also *looks* better than the RS...especially in piano black
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page