Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkshift View Post

Some fresh info on the PL200:

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/produc...0/your-speaker

I like the proportions of the PL200. Nice and slender. And if you are mating them with a subwoofer, I'm sure that they would provide more than enough output.

What's the price on these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5432 of 10398 Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Observer View Post

I'm contemplating buying a pair RSFX surrounds and mounting them on the roof or wall, if anyone here has a pair of these, do the speakers come with all the appropriate brackets needed to attach to the wall/roof, or do I need to buy them separately? Any recommendations or opinions on what to buy would be appreciated.

It comes with screws, plastic anchors, and a scaled diagram to help you drill the holes. The brackets are already on the speaker so you just hang it on the screws.
post #5433 of 10398 Old 07-10-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

I like the proportions of the PL200. Nice and slender. And if you are mating them with a subwoofer, I'm sure that they would provide more than enough output.

What's the price on these?

From what I hear, about $8K. About 2/3 the size of the PL300 along with 6.5" woofers instead of 8".
post #5434 of 10398 Old 07-11-2009, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchanjam View Post

From what I hear, about $8K. About 2/3 the size of the PL300 along with 6.5" woofers instead of 8".

That's a fair price for a speaker of that quality. Thanks for the info.
post #5435 of 10398 Old 07-11-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iove View Post

It comes with screws, plastic anchors, and a scaled diagram to help you drill the holes. The brackets are already on the speaker so you just hang it on the screws.

Just a heads up, before putting the supplied screws into the wall, check the provided screws fit into the bracket in the back of the RSFX. The screw head was too large and would not fit in the bracket so I had to use different screws. I let Monitor Audio know about this so hopefully they are providing the right screw now.

The template for putting the screws in the wall is good. Just be careful if using the template for also putting a hole on the wall for your cables to come out. The speaker connections are off centred and the template matches the back of the RSFX if looking at the back of the RSFX. When you then put the template to your wall, the speaker connection is flipped to the wrong side of centre so your hole would be on the wrong side. Speaker connection is on the right when looking at the back of the RSFX. When hung on the wall the speaker connection will be on the left so your hole in the wall needs to be to the left of centre not to the right as the template will show.

They do mount nice and flush once hung.
LL
LL
post #5436 of 10398 Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garzanium View Post

in RS6 News.......
So in saturday I am watching Valkarie* the movie..2 minutes in there is a nice airstrike sequence...sounded awesome at -15 db...well,after that dialog sounds funny. I ask my friend if he hears anything vibrating on the coffee table....Nope, its my speaker.

I listen carefully and discover it is the main driver. I slowly push it in, and it does this horrible glass on glass sound. Like screwing in a light bulb my friend describes it.

I call MA this morning and get a call back, explain the situation and the guy asks me for my address. He said a new driver would be in the mail.It was a blown voice coil according to him.That simple.

That is good customer service. I'll keep you guys posted with some pics of the inside of my RS6 during install.

Yes, I was pissed at the fact it blew....really pissed( I cant tell ya how Valkerie was, too much think about my speakers!) but I hope to get this back up and running.

So this is a followup to my post from 6-15...a month ago

I gave MA a call that monday, well....long story short(kinda)

I call them back 2 weeks later and they guy basically didnt send it out for some reason or another. He asks me for all my info again..
I keep getting "ya, I dont have any info on it from the guys in Buffalo NY I'll keep you posted via phone or email" as I am requesting a tracking #. This continues till today when I call and talk to the 3rd person I have talked to at MA, they give me a tracking #, this is from request, never did I get an email or call. It is at my door by the time I get home...

luckily I had a star hex from one of my rifle scopes to take the driver out, but ya, you guessed it, no hex in the box to remove the speaker.

Good customer service? you decide....thats what my post is about

Anywho...here she is

what your RS6 inside looks like

post #5437 of 10398 Old 07-15-2009, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the story, it couldn't be considered great service, send them a bill for the installation of the new driver!
post #5438 of 10398 Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 AM

Whoooow, there is big cash flying around on here, looking back at the older posts. Things like top of the range GS towers and 2 monoliths Crazy cash, only wish i could not only have the cash to spend on such things but also the will.

I love the looks and build of the GS range but cant for the life in me part with that much more cash over the RS range dimply cones and fancy crossovers or not, given the fact that the build on both speakers is really good and they both use the same tweeter that just means the have a fancy port and dimples.

Thats not to say if money was not an issue i wouldent have them.

As im getting a spanking new Onkyo TX-NR906 real soon an the Monolith should be here within the week, it looks like im gona be going for the Full RS set RS1/LCR/FX and later some RS8's move the RS1's to the rear and have some 7.1 action
post #5439 of 10398 Old 07-15-2009, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filby1 View Post

Whoooow, there is big cash flying around on here, looking back at the older posts. Things like top of the range GS towers and 2 monoliths Crazy cash, only wish i could not only have the cash to spend on such things but also the will.

Upgradeitis will get to you in due time, don't you worry

RS1/RSLCR/RSFX is a good start. I was planning to use GS10 as fronts and rears but after getting a fair few good deals on the other speakers in the system I managed to upgrade to GS20 fronts within the original budget.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-600A | NAD T775 | HTPC with XBMC | Panasonic DMP-BD60 (multiregion)
1x Monitor Audio GSLCR | 2x Monitor Audio GS20 | 4x Monitor Audio GSFX | SVS PB-13 Ultra
Current HT | New HT build coming soon.
post #5440 of 10398 Old 07-15-2009, 06:58 AM

I Just cant find a good deal, for a 5.1 package i was looking at £850 for GS10's £550 for GSLCR and £500 for the Surrounds.

I have always had a small budget but ended up with ok gear, i am still running my old PD9700 Hitachi Plasma which has an awsome pic for a non 1080p or even true 1080i showing, next time i buy its gona be a new LED backlit superthin LCD.

I have the ususal SkyHD Xbox360 and a BD-S550 Bluray player, which i can see me having untill it goes wrong, On the other hand i have a Pioneer 1018AH Reciver which i did get a good deal on and this thing gets used eveyday both for gaming, TV and movies, and already after under a year is showing signes of age, at the time it was £750 and i got it for £480 and the power button light no longer works the screen has a slight flicker in one corner and it takes ages to turn on after pressing the button, thats why the bigger better Onkyo is comming.

I never listen to music, well 5min bursts every now and then, so mostly Xboxing it or movie mashing.

I went for the Monitor audio over other's i must admit due to looks and build first, they simply must fit into my 5 teir Atacama Equinox racking look the part and sound clear and open for the games and movies.

I have yet to come accross a speaker as well built as the RS and GS at the price, the BR being of significantly lesser build quality with the difference in the GS and RS being less apparent, and to me the GS looking just a touch better finished around the speakers up front.

And at the end of the day i have been stuck with a pair of Gale 4020 (£100) and some old M7d rears and a Vibe sub for ages, i need new and my wife just looks at what we have and says any new gear i show her she's like "Oh yes just what we have now"

so getting almost £1000 for 5 speakers will be bad but £2000 for the GS which even to me do look very much the same apart from the dipmples will just not happen
post #5441 of 10398 Old 07-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I love the looks and build of the GS range but cant for the life in me part with that much more cash over the RS range dimply cones and fancy crossovers or not, given the fact that the build on both speakers is really good and they both use the same tweeter that just means the have a fancy port and dimples.

Thats not to say if money was not an issue i wouldent have them.

As im getting a spanking new Onkyo TX-NR906 real soon an the Monolith should be here within the week, it looks like im gona be going for the Full RS set RS1/LCR/FX and later some RS8's move the RS1's to the rear and have some 7.1 action

Actually, virtually everything is different between the Silvers and Golds. Not just a dimpled cone and afancier crossover.

The tweeters are different. The GS tweeter is a bit larger than the Silver tweeter. Even though they both spec out @ 1" in diameter, when you sit them side-by-side, you can clearly see that the GS tweeter is larger. The grille for the tweeter is different, too. Even the bezel around the tweeters are different. The phase cone on the GS is a real fixed phase cone where as the Silver is just a phase cone-looking dust cap, (that's plastic). The drivers are totally different, the cabinets are much stronger with the GS line thanks to being tongue and groove construction, larger radiused corners, metal rather than plastic speaker terminal/ crossover plates, etc, etc, etc. All the veneers in the Silver line are black walnut that gets bleached and then stained to the appropriate color. The GS veneers truely are what they say they are. The rosewood really is rosewood, for example. All harvested from their own tree farms. The veneers on the SIlvers are all flat sheets with seams at each corner. On the Golds, the veneer is actually wrapped around the corners which is much more difficult to accomplish. Heck, even the cartons on the GS line are better!

The Silvers are an outstanding value, overall. But, if you want that "little bit extra" I'd step into a set of GS10's. They too, are a great value.
post #5442 of 10398 Old 07-15-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, virtually everything is different between the Silvers and Golds. Not just a dimpled cone and afancier crossover.

The tweeters are different. The GS tweeter is a bit larger than the Silver tweeter. Even though they both spec out @ 1" in diameter, when you sit them side-by-side, you can clearly see that the GS tweeter is larger. The grille for the tweeter is different, too. Even the bezel around the tweeters are different. The phase cone on the GS is a real fixed phase cone where as the Silver is just a phase cone-looking dust cap, (that's plastic). The drivers are totally different, the cabinets are much stronger with the GS line thanks to being tongue and groove construction, larger radiused corners, metal rather than plastic speaker terminal/ crossover plates, etc, etc, etc. All the veneers in the Silver line are black walnut that gets bleached and then stained to the appropriate color. The GS veneers truely are what they say they are. The rosewood really is rosewood, for example. All harvested from their own tree farms. The veneers on the SIlvers are all flat sheets with seams at each corner. On the Golds, the veneer is actually wrapped around the corners which is much more difficult to accomplish. Heck, even the cartons on the GS line are better!

The Silvers are an outstanding value, overall. But, if you want that "little bit extra" I'd step into a set of GS10's. They too, are a great value.

Wow! Great rundown. Makes me want my GS's back.
post #5443 of 10398 Old 07-15-2009, 02:53 PM

Sure was a good rundown, and im sorry i got it so wrong, But i cant see anybody saying there great Value
post #5444 of 10398 Old 07-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sure was a good rundown, and im sorry i got it so wrong, But i cant see anybody saying there great Value

The fact that you are all movies convinces me that your choice of RS's is correct. For what it's worth.
post #5445 of 10398 Old 07-15-2009, 03:22 PM

Like i say, im not into music really and if i was its R&B so there's no intricate notes there, there's no tube amps or £400 a meter cable, im just after a top monies and gaming system whic is a cut above anything an all in one could be
post #5446 of 10398 Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Sounds like some nice additions, but many of those items are likely to have little or no affect on how they sound. For somebody that wants speakers for music listening as opposed to furniture appreciation, the reasons above pretty much sum up why the RS6 are a much better overall value.
post #5447 of 10398 Old 07-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

It all depends upon what the customer wants. The Silver line is great. But, if you want something that is a bit more refined in every aspect, step into the Golds. I believe I can speak from both personal and professional experience since I have both Golds and Silvers in my own family room sitting side-by-side.

The same argument could be said for the Bronze to the Silvers or the Golds to the Platinums.
post #5448 of 10398 Old 07-16-2009, 12:21 AM

And then i here people say they have gone from the GS to B&w 685 and forund them quite a bit better.
post #5449 of 10398 Old 07-16-2009, 12:25 AM

Everyone has different tastes ... I chose the RS series over the B&W 683 and 684 series because I thought the RS series sounded better.
post #5450 of 10398 Old 07-16-2009, 12:58 AM

And i i had i pic i would say the monitor audio simply on build quality, the RS look awsome where as the b&w have that bonded front looking baffle
post #5451 of 10398 Old 07-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
I might even prefer the GS10 to the B&W 805S...it's so subjective. The latter is a very nice speaker, great tweeter, etc., but the bass bloominess and port noise didn't sit will with me.
post #5452 of 10398 Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 AM

The bloominess and port noise of what speaker ?

And what about the Epos M12I?
post #5453 of 10398 Old 07-16-2009, 01:48 AM

IMO, there is a big difference between GS & RS...granted, RS is really nice consider the price, but the sound quality is easily spotted when you compare GS & RS side by side..
I bought RS1/RS6/RSLCR early last year only decided to sell them and move up to GS about a month later b/c it just lack that certain something..
I have had the GS60/GSLCR/GS10 for over a yr now and I am still happy w/ them..

As far as B&W, the only speaker I would trade my GS for is the 800 series, especially the 802D..it is perhaps my favorite speaker right now..
I would have downsize from GS to Radius and get a pair of 802D just for 2 channel music if I have a dedicated listening room..
post #5454 of 10398 Old 07-16-2009, 02:23 AM

See im coming from a real world living enviroment "wall paperd living room" fully used house not dedicated this and that or a mind set that is more ££££ or $$$$ simply must equal a better sound.

All this you must demo this speaker and that speaker is just not gona happen every bit of gear is different regardless of weather it has the same model number every speaker regardless of brand always sound different to another speaker of the same line in the same factory and im sure a shop can get a speaker to sound great to them and you in there shop, telling you it has a standard yamaha amp running the and just leaving out the massive power amps under the floor, i simply would not be ablt to take anybody on face value and unless Epos or B&w or Monitor audio or there sellers where going to let me borrow sets and test them at home well then the battle is always lost buy the buyer
post #5455 of 10398 Old 07-16-2009, 07:49 AM

If anyone wants to buy RS6 for a nice deal, looks like it is probably the good time. There are atleast 8 pairs on sale in audiogon and virtually all the finishes.
post #5456 of 10398 Old 07-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

I just have a Peachtree Nova running mine. With a whopping 80wpc. Before that, I had a Krell integrated and prior to that I had one of those fancy $350 HK receivers.

The point is, there is no "magic-bullet" speaker. If there was, there would only be one manufacturer building one model. It all depends on what the customer wants as far as performance, price, appearance and their perception of sound in their listening environment.
post #5457 of 10398 Old 07-18-2009, 04:10 PM

so i just picked up some rs6s and they are right on the wall... is it recommended to use the port plug if its on the wall? thanks
post #5458 of 10398 Old 07-18-2009, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack31489 View Post

so i just picked up some rs6s and they are right on the wall... is it recommended to use the port plug if its on the wall? thanks

Well, first, try to get them a couple of feet off the front wall if you can. The speakers will perform better. Getting them off the front wall will improve the imaging and depth of the soundstage. You may have to play with the distance of the speaker from the wall to get balanced sounding bass out if the speaker though. But if you have to have them close to wall, listen to the bass to determine if you need to plug the port. If the bass sounds to prominent, then try plugging the port. The plug will reduce the lower bass output of the speaker.

In the end, let your ears be the judge.
post #5459 of 10398 Old 07-19-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack31489 View Post

Congrats on the new speakers. I agree with Tim, try to get them a few feet out into the room. If all else fails use the plugs.
post #5460 of 10398 Old 07-19-2009, 06:53 PM

Can anybody recommend wall mounts suitable for the RSFX speakers that will allow me to angle the speakers into the room rather than just have them mounted flush on the wall. Ideally the mount would have some kind of clamps which hold the speakers rather than having to drill holes in the rear. Thanks.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page