Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2006, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, thank you for the advices. I need to look for something stronger. I have found a good deal on the Musical Fidelity A5, do you know anything about this amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkybase View Post

Ok, thank you for the advices. I need to look for something stronger. I have found a good deal on the Musical Fidelity A5, do you know anything about this amp?

Woo nice!
with 250W it should be lovely!
Check this link out:
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/revie...int/a5int3.pdf
Old 11-21-2006, 02:46 AM

Thanks for the review. Have you heard it?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdr_vix View Post

I just ordered a pair of RS6's for my upstairs family room, my secondary HT setup where I want to also get some good music and loose the junky HTB speakers, so I am starting with the RS6's and the LCR center. I currently using a lower end Pioneer VSX-D814 K (Rated at 100watts/chnl @8 ohms) in the family room that I planned on using for the time being until the prices of Receivers with HDMI come down.

I have my main HT system in the basement theater. I am using a Denon 3803 in my main theater, eventually that would get moved up to the family room and be used to drive the RS6's and I would get the HDMI receiver there for use with HD DVD player and Pearl.

Question...is this Pioneer VSX-D814K receiver even going to be able to decently drive the RS6's or am I going to be forced to relocate the Denon 3803 to drive them sooner then I would like (or could afford)?

Thanks!

my onkyo can do 90w i think (603x), drives plenty loud IMO
Old 11-21-2006, 11:57 AM

can anyone provide msrp's for the GS line?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkybase View Post

Thanks for the review. Have you heard it?

Alas, I have read reviews but its too rich for my blood
Most forums I go to, use nice muscular amps for driving the GS 20s.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:10 PM

did a long audition session with the GS-10 bookshelves today.

it was being driven by a Advance Acoustic 200 WPC integrated, fed by an Advance Acoustic CDP.

Sounded pretty good. Going back tomorrow for a comparo with the RS6.

Maybe because i have read so many gliterring comments and reviews about the GS10, I went with very large expectations, but it fell kind of short of my expectations. Mind you, it was still very very good. no denying that at all.

Am I hearing something wrong ? Anything I need to look out for when I do the comparo with the RS6 tomorrow ??

Logic being,
two drivers doing different tasks (mids and bass) have got to be better than one driver doing both tasks at the same time, correct ??? so how is the GS10 *that* much better than the RS6, according to some members here ?

would really appreciate if someone can explain the logic or physics or mechanics of that to me, because I am genuinely puzzled.

For all your days prepare
And meet them ever alike;
When you are the anvil, bear
When you are the hammer, strike.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_fi_newbie View Post

it was being driven by a Advance Acoustic 200 WPC integrated, fed by an Advance Acoustic CDP.

Maybe because i have read so many gliterring comments and reviews about the GS10, I went with very large expectations, but it fell kind of short of my expectations. Mind you, it was still very very good. no denying that at all.

Am I hearing something wrong ? Anything I need to look out for when I do the comparo with the RS6 tomorrow ??

Logic being,
two drivers doing different tasks (mids and bass) have got to be better than one driver doing both tasks at the same time, correct ??? so how is the GS10 *that* much better than the RS6, according to some members here ?

would really appreciate if someone can explain the logic or physics or mechanics of that to me, because I am genuinely puzzled.

there are MANY full range drivers that will go from 40hz to 18000hz+, and a lot of them sound very good. If the driver is engineered well it really doesnt matter how many tasks its doing as long as it can do it well
Old 11-21-2006, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Logic being,

Some of the best speakers for music are simple 2-way designs. With many 3-way speakers the imaging can become obscured due to the extra low end, which most speakers cant do well. The better 3-way designs obviously can avoid this. In addition, the crossover is simpler in a 2-way design.

The GS10 is a better speaker than the RS6 mostly because of the superior drivers. The RS6, and RS8 for that matter, will sound edgy and lose some focus at higher volume levels. The GS on the other hand has a much better tweeter with superior damping characteristics, extended response up to 40 khz, which means smoother top end without that edginess.

Now you mentioned they fell short of your expectations. Maybe you can elaborate on that more?
Old 11-22-2006, 01:24 AM

Hi , my rack is now MA GOLD 20
Creek CD MK2
Creek 5350SE
The questions are :

1.Will it worth an upgrade from GR20 to GS20 - specially on the treble side , where sometimes the GR can be a little forward?

2.Is the GR60 way too big for a room like 14 x 16 x 8 ? I would consider an upgrade to GS60's but I'm afraid the room is too small , and the speakers won't have room to enlish hell are their full potential.

3.Can anyone give me a link for a nice review on the Gold Signature 20/60.

THX!

Music to my ears.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

The GS10 is a better speaker than the RS6 mostly because of the superior drivers. The RS6, and RS8 for that matter, will sound edgy and lose some focus at higher volume levels. The GS on the other hand has a much better tweeter with superior damping characteristics, extended response up to 40 khz, which means smoother top end without that edginess.?

but then conversely, is it not also true that the GS10 *would* need a better driver since that single driver is going to be carrying both the bass and the mids. whereas the RS6 or the RS8 could get away with something less because they probably do not individually need to work as hard as the GS10 driver ?

Quote:

Now you mentioned they fell short of your expectations. Maybe you can elaborate on that more?

I am a bit confused actually. like i said it sounded very very good. but maybe because of the over-hype for the speaker, I went in with very large expectations, such as, for e.g. orgasmic bliss, which did not happen.

anyways, I am due for a long session with the RS6 in a couple of hours. will update once I get back.

ciao

Old 11-22-2006, 07:37 AM

AudioArchitect,

Kindly take your self serving pm's and bugger off
Old 11-22-2006, 08:05 AM

Need help trying to decide between RS 6 and RS 8,

I went to listen to these at a local MA dealer, but the room was awful ( I'm assuming it was the room) RS6's sounded great mid up, but the bottom end was very boomy ( one note bass) the only pair of RS8's were brand new out of the box and not broken in so they sounded a little harsh but had better control on the lower registers.

Judging by all the great reviews Ive seen I have to think the the boomy bass on the 6's was placement and room ( it was filled with other speakers) Room was small about 12 by 18 and the speakers were on the long wall about 18" out and seatting was 8 feet away. Want to make a choice but dont want to base it on that lousy demo.

Anyone demo the 2 models and care to comment

thanks
Old 11-22-2006, 09:49 AM

okies .... back from my comparo of the RS6 and the GS10 which I had separately auditioned yesterday.

Electronics used:
Audio Analogue CDP
Advance Acoustic 200 WPC integrated

Distance & Positioning
Both speakers positioned about 10 feet away from the rear wall.
My ear to speaker distance around 12~13 feet

have got a lot of clarity today as to why the GS10 bookshelf costs almost $400 more than the RS6 floorstander.

Following are my observations of the RS6 *as compared to the GS10*.
1. timing and cohesiveness is not good.
2. is harsh where the GS10 is detailed.
3. Control drops with heavy dynamics.
4. Bass seems a bit unnatural in some particular cases and again, not in time.
5. Is a bit boomy where not required.
6. Upper end clarity and separation not as good.

Incidentally, also included in the comparo just for fun was the B&W 705 bookshelf. I've heard so much about this speaker. But I was shocked at how pedestrian it sounded vis-a-vis the GS10, which came across as extremely refined.

By the way, could anyone help with the best price for a pair of GS-10s ???

Old 11-22-2006, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, this is my personal opinion:

The RS8s certainly have better bass capabilities than RS6s, but I think the RS6 could have a slightly better integration in the middle range. Both may tend to be boomy, particularly if located too near from the back walls.

RS6 are not big enough if they're going to be used as mains in a large room.

Nevertheless, the Gold Reference series have a more carefully designed crossover section than the silver series, which impairs a beautiful middle range that is not so "disturbed" by the low frequency drivers.

GR60s bass extension and punch are great. Low frequencies are very controlled though.

The tweeter is exactly the same in the Silver and GR series, so no apparent or crucial difference may be observed when listening high frequency sounds such as triangles, trumpets, violins....

I haven't auditioned the new GS series, so I can not help with them.

BTW, my current speakers set is as follows:

Fronts: GR60s
Center: Gold LCR
Surrounds: RS8s
Surround Backs: B&W 602
Old 11-22-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new27 View Post

AudioArchitect,

I would have thought that all messages, postings, etc. are self serving.
Quote:

can anyone provide msrp's for the GS line?

If Audio Architect was replying to your request, then you might consider a bit of self-buggery... Eh?
Old 11-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mainemanx,

I agree about the unavoidable self-serving when posting messages etc but self-serving self-buggery! Is this not taking self-serving to a level of self service beyond comprehension?!

After much delay I finally got to hear my Theta Dreadnaught II amp with a pair of GS60's at my dealer. The GS60's were brand new so we decided to leave them running over night, driven by the Theta playing a fancy "Full System Enhancer" burn-in and demagnetisation CD (!!!) produced by Isotek to run them in a little. We were going to try the technique described by Monitor Audio to aid run in by running one speaker out of phase with both speakers directly facing each other at close proximity. This was ruled out when concerns were raised about the technique but the speakers got a good 16 hours of use. The Isotek CD is a lot of strange sounds and pulses and would make a great psy-ops weapon in my opinion.

It is hard for me to describe how they sounded without getting too far out but I am once again delighted I went with the MA GS60's. I can't wait to hear the whole package with the REL 505 sub and GSFX & GSLCR system.

I listened to a fairly diverse range of music comprising of Suzanne Vega, Metallica and some funky jazz that my dealer uses as a reference. I was satisfyingly blown away by how the amp and speaker combination sounded. I have never listened to the Suzanne Vega track "Luka" so many times in a row. I must echo what others have said about how honest the MA's are. One of my favourite albums "Veneer" by Jose Gonzales has some awful background noise during playback which was never obvious to me before.

The GS60's just sounded so faithful and clean. This might be an unwanted trait to some as nothing seems to be omitted in the sound. It really is a case of garbage in-garbage out with these things. On the flip-side when there are deliberate breaks in the music during a track the silence was clean. Maybe I can now appreciate that masterful piece of music released some time back that consisted of nothing but um, silence?!

Regards,

Sean
Old 11-22-2006, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AudioArchitect,

You requested retail pricing, and I was private messaging to provide you that.

How old are you 15, 16 years old?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

For those looking for reviews on the GS, all I found were German ones:
http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/index/lautsprecher.shtml

What hi fi in UK gave the gs20 4 stars (can't see why they didn't give 5)

Anyone has reviews on the GS LCR?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but then conversely, is it not also true that the GS10 *would* need a better driver since that single driver is going to be carrying both the bass and the mids. whereas the RS6 or the RS8 could get away with something less because they probably do not individually need to work as hard as the GS10 driver ?

I am a bit confused actually. like i said it sounded very very good. but maybe because of the over-hype for the speaker, I went in with very large expectations, such as, for e.g. orgasmic bliss, which did not happen.

anyways, I am due for a long session with the RS6 in a couple of hours. will update once I get back.

ciao

This logic is somewhat correct, nonetheless, if the driver in the GS line does do midrange and bass better then you have a better speaker. Plus the GS tweeter is far superior to the one found in the RS speakers.

Most reviews overhype speakers. Companies pay big money to have their products featured, and it works for increasing sales. However, they shoot themselves in the foot, because people dont even consider the GS line after reading a review on the RS6.

I will agree that the RS line is a good product for the money, but some of the Stereophile comments are ridiculous (but so is most of their reviews). Now the GS line is a definite improvement. The GS20 and 60 are every bit of the cliche "giant killers". The midrange on the floorstanders is absolutely to die for.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

For those looking for reviews on the GS, all I found were German ones:
http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/index/lautsprecher.shtml

What hi fi in UK gave the gs20 4 stars (can't see why they didn't give 5)

Anyone has reviews on the GS LCR?

I would suspect that the GS line will get some American reviews very soon. I can tell you from be a Monitor Audio owner for a number of years the GS centers are among the most neutral center speakers out there. I prefer it to many of the more expensive centers that I carry.

Its definately good enough to build a complete theater off of. However, if you are music listener I still prefer the GS20/60 for fronts. The Puresound crossover is magic.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:44 PM

I just want to jump into the GS line discussion. This speakers really do need run-in. I have had mine for almost three months now, playing on the every day... and the sound now is marvelous. All the harshness is gone. I even think it's hard to find any speakers in the stores that have been played so long that are definately played in!! I am very happy with mine. I have been playing them with many amps, the last one was a Primare SPA21. Now am I looking for a good stereo amp instead. I felt that the Primare did loose som PACE...
Old 11-23-2006, 01:11 AM

Quote:

Most reviews overhype speakers. Companies pay big money to have their products featured, and it works for increasing sales. However, they shoot themselves in the foot, because people dont even consider the GS line after reading a review on the RS6.

I will agree that the RS line is a good product for the money, but some of the Stereophile comments are ridiculous (but so is most of their reviews). Now the GS line is a definite improvement. The GS20 and 60 are every bit of the cliche "giant killers". The midrange on the floorstanders is absolutely to die for.

I agree fully. I decided to give the Monitor Audio a look see after I stumbled on this thread. Then I looked up the RS6 and some reviews on the net. I can't remember which review it was. But the review was full of superlatives.
So when I went in to audition, I went in to only see the RS6. The GS10 was not on my list at all, or maybe just a casual look. I am glad the salesman absolutely did not let me listen to the RS6 first. The first day he only gave me the GS10 to audition. Next day he set up the RS6. Then we went back to the GS10.

Thats when I realised how much better the GS10 was.

Though, to be very frank, the GS20 or the 60 are beyond my budget. Which is why I did not bother giving them a listen. no point in simply burning up my a*s.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 719
I get to audition an Arcam AVR300 this weekend with my GR60's. That's the only receiver/amp available for audition at my local dealer. If I like what I hear the question becomes should I go for an AVR350 or P1000 + AVP700. Besides the obvious difference in cost, does anyone feel P1000 + AVP700 would be significantly better than an 350 with the GR60's? I like the idea of a single unit which is what I'm used to. There are also issues like HDMI audio support which favors buying a P1000 now and later getting the next generation pre/pro. Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks,

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
Old 11-30-2006, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Thanks for starting this thread AA. I have had an MA 5.1 setup for the past two years. Started with the Silver S8's, SLCR, S6's with a pair of S1's in there for good measure. I upgraded to GR's about 8 months ago. My room is difficult and due to 20' ceilings and large openings will never be acoustically correct. Despite this, the system sounds great for 2 or 5 channel music and HT. I'm about 50/50 in terms of music to HT use. As you can see from my equipment list, I have gone for power and full size loudspeakers to fill the large space.

I'b be interested in anyone who has the new Signature line and could compare/contrast to the GR's.

My setup is:

Monitor Audio GR60 (Mains)
Monitor Audio GR10 (Centers... yes Centers)
Monitor Audio GR 20 (Rear Surrounds)
Velodyne DD-18 (Subwoofer)
Denon AVR 3805 (audio pre only)
Sunfire 400/5 amp
Denon DVD 3910

for the centers, is it okay to use two GR10?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:

I agree fully. I decided to give the Monitor Audio a look see after I stumbled on this thread. Then I looked up the RS6 and some reviews on the net. I can't remember which review it was. But the review was full of superlatives.
So when I went in to audition, I went in to only see the RS6. The GS10 was not on my list at all, or maybe just a casual look. I am glad the salesman absolutely did not let me listen to the RS6 first. The first day he only gave me the GS10 to audition. Next day he set up the RS6. Then we went back to the GS10.

Thats when I realised how much better the GS10 was.

Though, to be very frank, the GS20 or the 60 are beyond my budget. Which is why I did not bother giving them a listen. no point in simply burning up my a*s.

What about the GS10 was better than the RS6? How was the bass response? I've always felt that vocals on the RS6 were recessed compared with most brands but I liked the bass that such a small spkr could push out.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

I find the S2s to have a very recessed mid range.
Does anyone know how the GS10's midrange sounds?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to take a moment to share a recent success story.

The short of it is that I'm the proud new owner of a 5.1 MA Radius system that I use in my dedicated video game room. These little speakers are truly amazing! More balanced, detailed and dynamic than they have any right to be AND ten times better than anything else close to their size.

The long story is that I work for a major video game manufacturer here in Redmond WA, and it is my job to know all there is to know about games. Rough, I know. The problem is, I rarely had the opportunity to play at home because our main HT system is used primary for TV and movie watching with my wife and frankly the last thing she wants is to sit passively while I play the latest software. The solution was to convert the office, which we never use, into a game room. The room is rather small at only 10' x 10'.

The truth is, I wanted to take the cheap route if I could. You know, head down to Circuit City and pick up some Polk Audio 5.1 speaker set for under $800 and be done with it. I mean this is ONLY a game room and I have a state of the art HT for the main room. But my audiophile nature got the better of me in the end. (I think I knew all along that it would. )

So anyway, I did go to Circuit City and Video Only and listened to Polk's top of the line mini-monitors (the ones with the curved, extruded aluminum cabinet). They looked pretty good for a relatively inexpensive solution, but upon listening to them I knew that they just wouldn't do. They had some sort of dip in the midrange that made them sound hollow and nasal. And the sub was downright awful. Boomy one-note bass at its best. Surprisingly the next model down sounded better, but they were just too cheap looking for me. Little grey plastic boxes with no personality. I'm being a bit of a snob I know.

Next up were some tiny little speakers from Infinity and you know what, they sounded just and tiny as they looked. Bright, etched, and fatiguing to say the least. I expected better from this well regarded speaker maker.

I also listened some KEF eggs, and they weren't bad, but you could hear the little ports on each of the satellites chuffing when driven at moderate levels. Good tonal balance over all though.

I even entertained the thought of going with a Bose system. To be honest, they didn't sound as bad as I had expected through the midrange. It was the woofey, inarticulate "acoustimass module" (which marketing genius came up with that contrived name for a sub?) that just wouldn't do.

That brings us to the most expensive option for tiny speakers, the MA Radius 90's for the L/R and surrounds, the 180 for the center and the 720 sub. The moment I heard these I knew I had found the porridge that was "just right". Expecting them to sound bright and "lively" (to put it politely), I was floored when all I heard was well balanced, transparent, open and detailed sound. Sure the little guys have very little bass to speak of, but even when running without a sub, they never erred on the side of sounding small and thin. Just as amazing is that these little guys don't mind being pushed. I've been running them for a few days now at silly volumes and they've never become hard or aggressive sounding. Of course my room is tiny, but sure seem like they could fill a room twice the size.

It wasn't all smooth sailing though. I initially bought the smaller 360 sub (8" driver with a 100 watt amp in a very little box), hoping that it would be good enough for a small room intended for gaming, but it went back today in favor of the 720 (dual 8" drivers with a 250 watt amp). The difference in bottom end weight and slam between the 720 and the 360 is considerable.

I had to break virtually all the rules to get the sub to integrate well with the satellites. The problem is that my room has a huge resonant peak somewhere in the 60 - 100 Hz range. So setting the crossover in the AVR to 100 sounded horrible. I was pulling my hair out trying to get the bass to sound smooth and extended as it did in the showroom. The only thing that worked was setting the x-over much lower than it should be (60 Hz) AND adjusting the low pass filter on the back of the sub to about 70 Hz. I know that stacking filters is a technical no-no, but sometimes you've got to think outside the box to get to the right solution. The end result is bass that sounds tight and has plenty of slam without the hooty resonance that was there before all the trickery with the crossovers. I wonder if the phase switch would help?

In the end, I couldn't be happier. Once I got the sub dialed in, the whole thing just sounds utterly fantastic. Honestly, when it comes to envelopment, it sounds better than my much more expensive system (mostly because the room my main set-up is in is far from optimal.)

Sorry for the rant. I just couldn't be more pleased and I had to tell someone that might actually care. My wife sure doesn't.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:02 PM

I was glad to see hifisponge's post on the Radius line. This is another cheer for them as well. Although I would go a step further and give them a thumbs up for anyone that is size constrained with their primary HT system due to area layout or the WAF (for even a larger sized room). Our space is pretty large (20x25) because our family room is connected to the same area as our kitchen which also opens up to our dining room and several hallways. However, I have the R270's for FR/FL, R225 for the center, R90's for RR/RL and a RS-W12 for the sub.

I initially purchased the R360 sub which actually performed quite well for music but didn't quite cut the mustard when fast hard hitting bass was needed for movies. I was worried that the R720 wouldn't be a significant enough improvement which is why I now have the RS-W12 that integrated perfectly into the Radius system (What Hi-Fi has a review on this as well).

My audiophile friends and family with systems from Linn, B&W, and Paradigm are always shocked to hear the range of sound that comes out of our system. Not that it will compete with the Gold series line but it does quite well with more quality than I ever expected.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCollins View Post

I find the S2s to have a very recessed mid range.
Does anyone know how the GS10's midrange sounds?

from a dealer in the US, at this URL :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=19&pp=30

"... The driver in the GS line does do midrange and bass better then you have a better speaker. Plus the GS tweeter is far superior to the one found in the RS speakers.

I will agree that the RS line is a good product for the money, but some of the Stereophile comments are ridiculous (but so is most of their reviews). Now the GS line is a definite improvement. The GS20 and 60 are every bit of the cliche "giant killers". The midrange on the floorstanders is absolutely to die for."

( FWIW, as a 3 month GS10s owner, 100% agree about the midrange,
even on the bookshelves. They match very well with Arcam FMJ gear, IMHO. )

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba