post #31 of 10389 Old 05-20-2006, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeeb View Post

Kris,

Interesting. How would you characterize the difference in sound between the RS6 and the 604S3?

Also, for room the size of mine, would you suggest the RS6 or RS8 for front L+R?

Thanks.

the models I compared were the MA S1 & S2 to the B&W 602's and P Studio 40's.

For me (not being anything more than a casual listener) , I felt the MA's had a more detailed sound while still sounding laid back. I originally wanted S1 bookshelves but my wife hated the whioe speakers on a stand thing and forced me into the floorstanders. We also did not like the finishes available on the B&W 600 series. Another brand that caught our attention was Totem, but they were out of our price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 10389 Old 05-20-2006, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I upgraded to a monitor audio system just over a year ago and couldn't be happier. Yup, just as others have stated, I'd put this system up against ones costing 5x as much and would probably still win the battle.

After spending a few years using the m&K s150's, ss150's (rear) it was finally time to make a change. Unfortunately the s150's, while amazing for movies, really sucked for music. No exageration when I say I didn't listen to a single music cd for well over a year as I hated them that much.

Then just over a year ago, one of our large 'box stores' went out of business. They were literaly giving everything away with discounts in the end as high as 90%. Needless to say I took the opportunity to buy up all my account could afford. I'll never forget going in the day before they finally closed and seeing a few speaker systems left. I had never heard of monitor audio before and there was no way to plug them into anything to hear what they would sound like. Not to mention, even if we could have, the store was empty and the room was echoing so loud it wouldn't ahve made a difference.

There were 4 gr10's left which I snatched up for next to nothing. Hell, they even through in a velodyne dls sub at no charge when I bought them, as they just wanted everything gone.

I returned home and installed the 3 of the speakers across the front figuring, what the hell, if they're no good, I'd just ebay them. Well upon putting the first cd into the player, I was immediately blown away. I pulled out the computer and about 2-3 hours later had everything properly callibrated. The sound was nothing short of breathtaking. Never before had I heard such a huge and beautifull sounding soundstage in my home.

The next day I ran out and bought every sacd/dvd audio disk I could find as it was time to really sit back and enjoy the music. I was still using the ss150's in the rear and sides so the surround mix wasn't perfectly matched, but it was ok. I spent the entire afternoon/evening just listening to music. It was absolutely beautifull sounding and once again I was hooked.

Immediately I started watching ebay for monitor audio, and about a month later I added the grlcr and upgraded the front to a pair of gr60's. I moved the gr10's to the side and rear for the 7.1 setup.

Since completing the setup, I have had dozens of friends over and without exception they have all been blown away with the sound. They had all been used to coming over for movie night, or sports in hd, but never before had I turned a music cd on, until the monitor audio setup was complete.

Simply put, these speakers are absolutely perfect for my homes setup. The sound is amazing. Not to bright, not to warm, somewhere in the middle. The bass response is impressive, though I do use 2 subs in the system, a velodyne dls, and a sunfire mkII. (need to upgrade those someday) The soundstage is absolutely huge. Vocals seem to be anywhere between 6' behind the center to about 3' in front of the center depending upon the recording. Two channel stereo sounds almost like 5.1, where 5.1 sounds like there are 2x as many speakers. If you close your eyes, the speakers completely blend in and you almost cannot pinpoint speaker placement. Many friends have sworn that I am running many more speakers behind the columns than I actually am. For the first time, I truly feel like I am in the recording studio or the concert hall.

Everyone considering a speaker upgrade in this price range really owes it to themselves to at least audition monitor audio. You are going to be quite impressed.

Equipment:
Denon 5803
2x gr60's up front
1x grlcr
4x gr10's rear/surround
velodyne dls 12"
sunfire mkII
denon 3910
infocus 7210

My 'theater for 2' mini setup
e6600 oc'd to 3.6
nvidia 680i
8800gts sli
x-meridian (modded opamps, cap bypass)
4gb corsair pc8500
raptor raid boot
post #33 of 10389 Old 05-20-2006, 10:48 PM

swwg,

thanks for your comment. unfortunately, i am in a position where i don't have the ability to audition either the MA or the B&W, so I am going mostly on specs, reviews, and owner feedback.

also, it doesn't help that the MA site is so skimpy on specs, manuals, and photos. is the RS6 rear ported? because of the layout of my room, the speakers will be very close to the front wall and a fear that a rear ported speaker will suffer more as a consequence.

thanks.
post #34 of 10389 Old 05-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeeb View Post

, it doesn't help that the MA site is so skimpy on specs, manuals, and photos. is the RS6 rear ported? because of the layout of my room, the speakers will be very close to the front wall and a fear that a rear ported speaker will suffer more as a consequence.

thanks.

On the RS6, there is a front port below the woofer. There is also a rear port behind the tweeter. MA recommends distance of at least 8" from the front wall; and 20" from the side wall. There is also a foam plug for the rear port in case the bass is too strong by being too close to the front wall.
post #35 of 10389 Old 05-20-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swwg View Post

On the RS6, there is a front port below the woofer. There is also a rear port behind the tweeter. MA recommends distance of at least 8" from the front wall; and 20" from the side wall. There is also a foam plug for the rear port in case the bass is too strong by being too close to the front wall.

it will be tight, but i am planning on placing some sort of acoustic dampening behind the speakers to help a little as well. thanks.
post #36 of 10389 Old 05-21-2006, 01:10 AM

I have been trying to find a place to demo a pair of GS60. I have just about given up. I think they have become another bigfoot story. You here about them but you never actually seem them. I have listen to the RS8 and thought they sounded pretty good. I am also looking at MK s150 surround system. Does anyone have an opinion of the two. I was hoping to go with the GS60 and matching surround but if you cant find them you cant buy them. I am using a Marantz 8500.
post #37 of 10389 Old 05-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybasil View Post

I have been trying to find a place to demo a pair of GS60. I have just about given up. I think they have become another bigfoot story. You here about them but you never actually seem them. I have listen to the RS8 and thought they sounded pretty good. I am also looking at MK s150 surround system. Does anyone have an opinion of the two. I was hoping to go with the GS60 and matching surround but if you cant find them you cant buy them. I am using a Marantz 8500.

I assume you have been to the Monitor Audio website and used the dealer locator. I was able to demo my GR60's and 20's at one of the now defunct Good Guys stores here in CA. Magnolia Audio has picked up the line, but thus far in the stores I have access to they only have the RS models for demo. They will order the GS's for you and they have a no questions 30 day return policy. My guess is that the retailers do not like to inventory the "higher end" speakers due to cost. At $2K each, the GS60's represent the low end of the high end in loudspeakers. At their price point, IMHO they really are excellent speakers and worth a bit of effort to find them.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #38 of 10389 Old 05-21-2006, 09:25 AM

RMKI

I did look through MA's dealer locator. Even Audio Architect who started this thread doesnt have a pair of the GS60 to demo even thought he says he heard them and gave them great reviews. Magnolia Audio says they have no plans to bring a pair of the GS60 in. They have a line of high end speakers with price points above the 2k mark. So why not carry the GS60, If its as good as people seem to say.? I contacted the product manager for Kevro International who distirbutes MA's. He was going to forward my request to the area representative. I havent heard back. They dont seem to be to eager to sell their product. I can't get thrilled about a speaker nobody wants to carry. You have to wonder why.
post #39 of 10389 Old 05-21-2006, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Where do you live?
post #40 of 10389 Old 05-21-2006, 09:53 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:

RMKI

I did look through MA's dealer locator. Even Audio Architect who started this thread doesnt have a pair of the GS60 to demo even thought he says he heard them and gave them great reviews. Magnolia Audio says they have no plans to bring a pair of the GS60 in. They have a line of high end speakers with price points above the 2k mark. So why not carry the GS60, If its as good as people seem to say.? I contacted the product manager for Kevro International who distirbutes MA's. He was going to forward my request to the area representative. I havent heard back. They dont seem to be to eager to sell their product. I can't get thrilled about a speaker nobody wants to carry. You have to wonder why.

That is really disturbing and I don't blame you for being put off by this. Sounds like MA needs a new distributor. The new Gold Series have been out for several months and not one professional review of the speaker(s) and no one has demo product?...amazing.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #41 of 10389 Old 05-21-2006, 11:24 AM

brian

I live in Southern Calif. Orange county. Do you know a place that might have them?
post #42 of 10389 Old 05-21-2006, 12:34 PM

i guys, this is my first post here and I am a big MA fan.

I live in Melbourne, Australia and a few local stores have the MA products.

I heard a setup featuring a pair of GS20 fronts, GSLCR centre and GSFX surrounds. It was running through a 4803 denon avr i believe.

Really awesome sounding setup in a less than perfect sounding room.

I had heard a more expensive B&W setup a few days prior and although it probably was as good it was a significant amount extra.

I compared the GS setup to a silver RS setup and the GS range realy shone! but for twice the price i'd hope so.

Im now looking at getting a full Silver RS setup (RS6 fronts) including sub and a denon avr-2807 when it arrives here. OR.... getting the receiver and just a GS centre and set of surrounds and using the denon front pre-outs to power my current steareo setup - phase linear 400 series 2 power-amp, phase linear 3300 series 2 pre-amp and a pair of infinity RS4b speakes!!! OLDSCHOOL! These fronts have a fair whack of bottom end and i'm thinking of maybe being able to get away without a sub (3500 ft^3 room)

This half setup of GS centre, and GSFX surrounds, plus receiver will be about $5850 Aussie.

To all the guys that have purschased MA stuff through say local audio places.... what sort of % of the speakers do they tend to give? 10%? 20%? i mean reductions off RRP, not run out closing down sale type prices.

Thanks...
post #43 of 10389 Old 05-21-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCollins View Post

Anyone know what one could expect to pay for the GS10's?

I got mine for a little over $1,100 which is around 22% off a retail price of about $1,500.
post #44 of 10389 Old 05-21-2006, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

brian

I live in Southern Calif. Orange county. Do you know a place that might have them?

We have the GS20's on display because those seem to be the most popular. Exact same sound as the GS60's minus the extra woofer. If you are interested in only the GS60's let me know and I will order in a demo pair for you to listen to.
post #45 of 10389 Old 05-21-2006, 04:49 PM

I bought rs8's, rslcr and rs1. For HT, they are magnificent. I love them because they are so transparent and with my new HD-DVD player they are even better with the DD+. I can hear the echo of foot steps in Serenity like they are walking through my house.

I bought these speakers while I was in my Jazz phase. Diana Krall, Patricia Barber, Gillespie etc. I also did a little rock auditioning too. These speakers are similar to all the "accurate, clean, neutral" speakers like B&W and Vienna Acoustics. If you like these speakers, then MA's are the best for price in that family.

Unfortuantely, I grew up with paradigm speakers and now that i am back in my rock phase the MA's are coming up short. I am stuck now because the new paradigms are moving in the direction of the afore mentioned speakers. My old speakers always had silk dome tweaters and plastic cones. This gave them a warm natural feel. I had the new monitor 7's and took those back because they too implemented metal dome tweeters and had a more forward midrange.

So my advice to those looking for speakers, if you like full bodied slightly colored towards warmth speakers, then the MA's may not be for you. MA's are missing the chunky crunch of the guitars.. they are just too analytical for me.

Please advise me if you have any ideas, or call me crazy. maybe Im biased from having the same Paradigms for 15 years.
post #46 of 10389 Old 05-21-2006, 09:48 PM

I'm currently awaiting our new home to be remodeled and wanting a new HT setup. I did a demo with the Audio Architect in his store in San Diego. I demo-ed the GS10's, 20's and a Silver LCR's. I remember telling him after about 10 minutes that if I could fit the 20's in my home, the demo would already be over and I'd be taking them home, I liked them so much. But as he mentioned, the 10's are just a crystal clear and PRECISE as the 20's but without the extra bass.

I am ordering the 10's and GSLCR as well as the rear surrounds. from him when our house is ready and he's offered to do the in home demo for me even before I agreed to buy them.

I can't wait to get it in the house and listen to it.

Pat
post #47 of 10389 Old 05-21-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

We have the GS20's on display because those seem to be the most popular. Exact same sound as the GS60's minus the extra woofer. If you are interested in only the GS60's let me know and I will order in a demo pair for you to listen to.

I too live in san diego. If you have rs8's in the store, or perhaps if you are familiiar with them, you could help me with my audio situation as mentioned before. I am hopeful that maybe the amplifier I am using contributes to my dissatisfaction. I have a Marantz sr7500, which many rave about. But, I just cant listen to music on my system. Marantz + sr7500 makes me not listen to music AT ALL. I have recently hooked my rs1 to a 15 year harman kardon, but its a different room, no sub, different speaker etc, but I think I like that combo more.
post #48 of 10389 Old 05-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgonzalez View Post

I too live in san diego. If you have rs8's in the store, or perhaps if you are familiiar with them, you could help me with my audio situation as mentioned before. I am hopeful that maybe the amplifier I am using contributes to my dissatisfaction. I have a Marantz sr7500, which many rave about. But, I just cant listen to music on my system. Marantz + sr7500 makes me not listen to music AT ALL. I have recently hooked my rs1 to a 15 year harman kardon, but its a different room, no sub, different speaker etc, but I think I like that combo more.

Room acoustics can alter the sound quality. I suggest that you compare them in the same room.
post #49 of 10389 Old 05-22-2006, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgonzalez View Post

The RS8's are great speakers. They can be bass heavy in a smaller room. The Marantz actually pairs very well with the Monitor Audio speakers, so I dont think its a synergy issue. You can email me anytime at:

matthew@theaudioarchitect.com

I would be glad to help you out.
post #50 of 10389 Old 05-22-2006, 12:17 PM

Matthew, any idea when the GS sub will be out and what the expected RRP will be for it?
post #51 of 10389 Old 05-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The RS8's are great speakers. They can be bass heavy in a smaller room.

The foam bung can be useful.
post #52 of 10389 Old 05-22-2006, 05:47 PM

I have had the S8's in several different rooms and will attest to the foam bung being very useful.

It is a little bass heavy in smaller rooms.

Just blocking the bottom bung helped tighten it up a little and balance the sound more. If you are in a larger room though they really open up alot more.

I guess I am saying they sound pretty good in a smaller room but sound great in larger ones. Room acoustics are very important as many in this forum have stated.
post #53 of 10389 Old 05-22-2006, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMR2 View Post

Matthew, any idea when the GS sub will be out and what the expected RRP will be for it?

I believe the sub started shipping in certain finishes. I dont have the current pricing in front of me, but I recall 1499-1799.

I listened to it at a special dealer demonstration listening to U-571. Very nice! It will be a hot seller. I will get a definite answer for your tomorrow. Thanks.
post #54 of 10389 Old 05-22-2006, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

$1749 list
post #55 of 10389 Old 05-22-2006, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can someone give me the MSRP of the following speakers?

RS1
RSLCR
B1
B2

Thanks
post #56 of 10389 Old 05-22-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

I believe the sub started shipping in certain finishes. I dont have the current pricing in front of me, but I recall 1499-1799.

I listened to it at a special dealer demonstration listening to U-571. Very nice! It will be a hot seller. I will get a definite answer for your tomorrow. Thanks.

awesome thanks....

In your honest opinion, is it worth getting a sub like this to match other MA gear or to shop around and try out some Velodyne, MJ accoustic ones etc etc?

I think i heard the RS12 sub with the MA GS range the other day and it sounded good to me
post #57 of 10389 Old 05-22-2006, 11:21 PM

Hello I have a Monitor Audio setup currently that consists of Monitor Audio S10's up front and a SLCR with B&W CCM 65's for rear surround in walls in the ceiling and a Sunfire True Signature Subwoofer. I am considering doing some upgrading and was wondering your opinions. I currently use a Denon 3803 to power the system and I am looking at going to a Outlaw 990/7700 combo I was wondering if I would hear a big difference with 200 watts a channel going to the monitors also I was considering going to a either Gold series or Revel Concerta line speakers or Rockets. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.
post #58 of 10389 Old 05-23-2006, 01:27 AM

From what i've heard, the Gold Series sound great! haven't heard the others you mentioned.

A dedicated per/power amp setup will do better things than running the output from an AV reciever.
post #59 of 10389 Old 05-23-2006, 09:59 AM

My quest for new speakers fits dreamhosts thread so much i had my wife come in and read it, she thought that it was my post.Especially the part about running out and buying as many SACD/DVD- A cd's as we could.Monitor Audio is now a part of our family,every evening is a new treat as we relive our cd collection.With these speakers and a room size of 15' wide by 23' long and 8' high i'm very satisfied.

SYSTEM:
Mains-RS 6
Center-RS LCR (All Rosenut)
Surrounds-RS 6

Pioneer VSX1015 TX
Denon 1920 DVD
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD
Mits 62628 DLP

Up till about 6 months ago i new little or nothing about ht,audio and video.My system was solly the result of AVS Forums, MANY THANKS!!

Still searching for a sub to compliment these speakers,(mainly music) any ideas would greatly be appreciated.
post #60 of 10389 Old 05-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaycraft View Post

Hello I have a Monitor Audio setup currently that consists of Monitor Audio S10's up front and a SLCR with B&W CCM 65's for rear surround in walls in the ceiling and a Sunfire True Signature Subwoofer. I am considering doing some upgrading and was wondering your opinions. I currently use a Denon 3803 to power the system and I am looking at going to a Outlaw 990/7700 combo I was wondering if I would hear a big difference with 200 watts a channel going to the monitors also I was considering going to a either Gold series or Revel Concerta line speakers or Rockets. Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Monitor Audio Golds are "as close as it gets" to the original performance. Where improvements are needed would be in CD and DVD quality. Yes, they are digital but some recording mix and sound effects can be mediocre compared to Monitor Golds and separate prepro & amps. Remember that recording engineers use their ears and they try their best to do good recordings for their target audience that may have very different ears, young, middle age, old, male and female. And different brains for the perceived sound.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page