Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #631 of 10292 Old 12-23-2006, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AudioArchitect -

I was wondering if you ever got in a pair of GS60s for demo. I read through half of these threads and gave up...too many.

I briefly heard the GR60s when I bought my Paradigm 60s and was really impressed. They were out of my price range then (and kinda still are), but definitely would like to audition them and the GS20s as well.

Let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 10292 Old 12-24-2006, 10:59 AM

Um, I think I've seen the new MA Platinums -- images of them rather.

On this page find the video of the Monitor Audio interview ...

http://www.cinenow.com/uk/play-video-523.html

Almost all the interview about MA's iDeck, but ...

Watch carefully near the end of the video for the poster directly
behind. And note the interesting mention of the poster that
the interviewer makes.

There they are.
post #633 of 10292 Old 12-24-2006, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brypink View Post

AudioArchitect -

I was wondering if you ever got in a pair of GS60s for demo. I read through half of these threads and gave up...too many.

I briefly heard the GR60s when I bought my Paradigm 60s and was really impressed. They were out of my price range then (and kinda still are), but definitely would like to audition them and the GS20s as well.

Let me know.

I do have the GS60s. Email me at matthew@theaudioarchitect.com with any questions. Thanks.
post #634 of 10292 Old 12-25-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

I do have the GS60s. Email me at matthew@theaudioarchitect.com with any questions. Thanks.

AA, are you opened Dec 27th? I will be in San Diego and if you are close by, would like to come and listen to some gear.
thanks
post #635 of 10292 Old 12-25-2006, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipt_usa View Post

AA, are you opened Dec 27th? I will be in San Diego and if you are close by, would like to come and listen to some gear.
thanks

Absolutely. Shoot me an email.
post #636 of 10292 Old 12-25-2006, 02:46 PM

Could I get a pair of bookshelf MA's for about 350-550 dollars that are better than the Bronze Line. For example, what are the going prices for the Silver RS1 and S1? And any preferences as to what sounds the best?

Ryan

Check out the setup and digital artwork!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #637 of 10292 Old 12-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmct View Post

the interviewer makes.

There they are.

or if you look on monitor audios site....

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/range.php?range=8
post #638 of 10292 Old 12-25-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:

the interviewer makes.

There they are.

Good find. At the end when the when the interviewer finally moves to the left you do get a good view of the floorstander. Looks like the tweerter is in the middle of the unit.
post #639 of 10292 Old 12-26-2006, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike N Ike View Post

Good find. At the end when the when the interviewer finally moves to the left you do get a good view of the floorstander. Looks like the tweerter is in the middle of the unit.

I dont think thats the Platinum line. Theres a port on top. It looks like a Radius LCR speaker standing up. Maybe Im not seeing it ?!
post #640 of 10292 Old 12-26-2006, 05:19 AM

Yep, the poster in the video was of the Radius line.
No wonder the subwoofer looked so large.
post #641 of 10292 Old 12-26-2006, 01:51 PM

I will be really curious to see what MA comes up with in regards to the Platinum line. I guess my thinking is close to what AA suggested with the tweeter and perhaps something there. I listen to my Gold 60s and I can't imagine how they would improve the midrange. Maybe they will somehow.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.
post #642 of 10292 Old 12-26-2006, 08:08 PM

Has anyone heard the new monitor audio bronze reference
post #643 of 10292 Old 12-26-2006, 08:48 PM

I just got a pair of RS1's today and I have been playing some of my favorite tunes on them so far and liking them a lot. I'm using an older Yamaha power amp to power them though which isn't what I normally use. When I get back to my place next week I can try them on my Marantz receiver.

Silver line does look and sound good though!

Check out the setup and digital artwork!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #644 of 10292 Old 12-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 304
AudioArchitect,
I'm sorry if you have been asked this before but since you have had exposure to both of these models, what is your take on the differences. My GR's are so good I can't imagine a large performance delta between the two. When I asked Kevro Intl this question, they said not much beyond cosmetic. Your (or anyones) take would appreciated.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #645 of 10292 Old 12-27-2006, 01:18 PM

Hi guys,

I have just bought a second hand marantz amp called mm9000, sounds great with the GS20s. Has anyone a good solution for preamp/receiver to use as processor? I really would like to have good sound in 2 channel music...

Many thanks.
Funky

Pics of My Setup

post #646 of 10292 Old 12-27-2006, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I have a Marantz SR 12 and previously I had the SR18ex and SR19.
All of them have nice audiophile parts and give a nice wamr sound, and they made my Bronze sound very nice indeed, and since they are no longer current, perhaps the price will be much better?
Hope that helps
P

My gear & my blog:

post #647 of 10292 Old 12-27-2006, 07:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Audio Arch

how are the Monitor in-walls....? ie the GS? how do they retail?

Thanks
JOHN
post #648 of 10292 Old 12-27-2006, 08:09 PM

My wife and I just took "ownership" of some RS6s (and RSLCR) and, so far, we really love them. How cool is my wife? One day she says to me "we need better speakers - these don't sound so good anymore" (Klipsch KWS 8.5s). At first I thought "are you sure we can afford them" and then I realized when your wife says "we need new speakers" you don't reply with "are you sure".

So we went and auditioned Paradigm Monitor 7s as I had recently helped a friend purchase new speakers and she ended up with these. Since I already liked them I felt like these were probably the way to go.

However, we have PSB Alphas as rear channels and, in an effort to keep all the speakers in the same family, decided we should audition some PSB Towers (Image series). The first cut we played (Nora Jones - Feelin' the Same Way) sounded great through the PSBs, however as soon as we put on Thelma and Louise by Trish Murphy and the bass kicked in I knew something was wrong. The PSBs (in my opinion) just sounded "boxey". The bass was NOT good. The salesmen (Aaron at Sara International in Houston - and mentioned earlier in this thread) asked me to give the PSBs another try in another room as the more private listening room is almost a perfect square. He moved the speakers and they did sound better but not great. And then I got called to work and had to leave.

I returned the next day to listen to one of the stores other lines: Monitor Audio. The RS6s were in my price range and they were, IMO, excellent sounding. Aaron set me up and left me alone for about an hour and I really got into the speakers listening to a variety of stuff from Nora Jones and Trish Murphy to John Coltrane to George Winston to Rush. I told Aaron that I'd be back with my wife so she could listen and give final approval.

We returned and my wife loved the speakers, too. It's cool when she points out how good the soundstage is - she's learning. Since we had to order speakers Aaron suggested we take the demos home and make sure they sound good in our room. If we're still happy, call him and tell him what finish we want and he'll order us new ones. If they didn't work out we could apply the money to something else in the store or get a refund.

Here's were it's interesting (at least to me!). When my wife was auditioning the RS6s they sounded good but not as good as they did the day before. Since we were back in the square room I attributed it to the room. When we got the speakers home and set them up (hooked to an NAD receiver) they sounded good but I was actually a little disappointed. They sounded very forward in the midrange and voices sounded kind of nasely. Soft, acoustic stuff didn't sound so bad but harder stuff (Rush, Greenday, the Donnas or Concrete Blonde for example) sounded terrible. I took them into the other room and plugged them into my Parasound HCA-1500 and P/LD 1100 preamp (that I normally have Maggies plugged into) and they sounded better.

Then I remembered something Aaron said. He said that sometimes some receivers to weird things to the phase of the speakers and, if I didn't like the way they sounded, to switch the speaker wires (plug red into black on both speakers and vice versa). Instant improvement. There were the speakers that I auditioned on that first day. I was amazed at the difference reversing the wires made. The speakers are not out of phase to each other; I made sure to switch black and red on both (and the center). Voices immediately became clearer and they sounded a little brighter as well. I asked my wife if she noticed anything different and right away she said the voice (Natalie Imbruglia this time - guilty pleasure) sounded different. So, she could hear the difference to. Harder stuff also sounded much better as well.

So, all the people who tried the RS6s and didn't like them, maybe they were wired wrong.

Here's something else interesting: These speakers set off the glass break sensor in my den. Generally if I play a movie loud enough, explosions and the like will cause the sensor to trip but not all that much. These speakers cause it to trip all the time, even with regular music. I've seen other's post the frequency response from some review and it shows a big spike at the far end of the (high) spectrum. Glass break sensors detect very high-piched vibrations (glass breaking) so maybe that's it. I can't hear that high (too old) but the sensor seems to verify that graph.

So, am I crazy thinking the speakers sounded better after reversing the wires or is there really something to that?
post #649 of 10292 Old 12-27-2006, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngrCharlie View Post

So, am I crazy thinking the speakers sounded better after reversing the wires or is there really something to that?

After talking with a recording engineer a number of years ago, I learned that most albums are recorded out of phase. If you have all your speakers out of phase, you are actually listening in phase because you are countering the fact that the album was out of phase.

However, nowadays most of the movie soundtracks and albums are in phase, so it becomes is sticky situation when you have to switch back and forth between different albums. I would just leave it in phase, but its very interesting that you caught on to that, because its rare that people do.
post #650 of 10292 Old 12-27-2006, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigpicture View Post

Audio Arch

how are the Monitor in-walls....? ie the GS? how do they retail?

Thanks
JOHN

Correct me if anyone knows different, but I believe the inwall/inceiling are still GR at this point. I know the Silvers were changed to Silver RS, but they GS doesnt officially have an inwall yet.

Anyway, the inwall sound suprisingly good. They do have backboxes, so they are very predictable in terms of how they will sound mounted in the wall. They use similar drivers as in their floorstanding line, and as a result retain much of the sound of a box speaker. You obviously want to cross them at 80hz and run a good subwoofer, but in most home theaters people do this anyway.

If you can go with inwalls in the front then thats far preferrable over inceiling. For the money, unbeatable.
post #651 of 10292 Old 12-28-2006, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

AudioArchitect,
I'm sorry if you have been asked this before but since you have had exposure to both of these models, what is your take on the differences. My GR's are so good I can't imagine a large performance delta between the two. When I asked Kevro Intl this question, they said not much beyond cosmetic. Your (or anyones) take would appreciated.

I owned the GR60s with LCR, surrounds,etc for a number of years. I am a younger person so I think I am a little more sensitive to listening fatigue, but I used to get listening fatigue about 1-1.5 hours into a movie. This was using Parasound Halo JC1s, A51, and C1.

I find that the GS series is more listenable for long periods of time than the GR series. The tweeter extends to 45 khz before breakup, which eliminates ringing at higher frequencies more effectively(a problem with many metal domes). The midrange is almost identical, maybe a tad bit smoother than the GRs. The bass is dynamic and punchy just like the GR speakers.

Overall the main difference that I found was with the tweeter. The changes to the midrange and woofers is really negligible. And obviously a major cosmetic change. This is a probably one reason, among others, why MA decided to develop the Platinum range.
post #652 of 10292 Old 12-28-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:

After talking with a recording engineer a number of years ago, I learned that most albums are recorded out of phase. If you have all your speakers out of phase, you are actually listening in phase because you are countering the fact that the album was out of phase.

However, nowadays most of the movie soundtracks and albums are in phase, so it becomes is sticky situation when you have to switch back and forth between different albums. I would just leave it in phase, but its very interesting that you caught on to that, because its rare that people do.

can you please elaborate on that ??? in layman's terms ? what precisely does one need to do to verify and check that out ??? any reference CDs tracks ??

I am intrigued.

For all your days prepare
And meet them ever alike;
When you are the anvil, bear
When you are the hammer, strike.
post #653 of 10292 Old 12-29-2006, 04:13 PM

I give up. Search though I have, I cannot tell by MA literature,
or a happenstance lucky photo of the backside, whether GS 20s are rear ported.
Obviously they are front ported. I did find a review of the GS 60s, with a
photo included, that shows a rear port near the top, as well as a front port
below the bottom-most woofer.

Can anyone give me a yeah or nay on a rear port for the GS 20s?

Thanks!
post #654 of 10292 Old 12-29-2006, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Can anyone give me a yeah or nay on a rear port for the GS 20s?

Well, actually the GS20 and GS60 floorstanders have two ports, one in the front and one in the rear.

You can download the GS series Owner's Manual in MA site if you require detailed info about these great speakers
post #655 of 10292 Old 12-30-2006, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLopez11 View Post

You can download the GS series Owner's Manual in MA site ...

Thanks! I did finally find mention of the port(s) configuration for
the GS20s in the manual.
That information is kinda' ... buried in the copy.
post #656 of 10292 Old 12-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

I owned the GR60s with LCR, surrounds,etc for a number of years. I am a younger person so I think I am a little more sensitive to listening fatigue, but I used to get listening fatigue about 1-1.5 hours into a movie. This was using Parasound Halo JC1s, A51, and C1.

I find that the GS series is more listenable for long periods of time than the GR series. The tweeter extends to 45 khz before breakup, which eliminates ringing at higher frequencies more effectively(a problem with many metal domes). The midrange is almost identical, maybe a tad bit smoother than the GRs. The bass is dynamic and punchy just like the GR speakers.

Overall the main difference that I found was with the tweeter. The changes to the midrange and woofers is really negligible. And obviously a major cosmetic change. This is a probably one reason, among others, why MA decided to develop the Platinum range.

I guess age does have it's advantages, no listening fatigue here . Thanks for the response.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #657 of 10292 Old 12-30-2006, 11:37 AM

sorry guys. I was the one complaining about poor RS8 bass extension (and every called me crazy) and I finally sold them in favor of the paradigm studio 60's. So Im jumping ship and joining the Paradigm owners thread. BYE!

ps the 60's are waaaaay better for me. Try them if you question the fullness of your MA's
post #658 of 10292 Old 12-30-2006, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgonzalez View Post

sorry guys. I was the one complaining about poor RS8 bass extension (and every called me crazy) and I finally sold them in favor of the paradigm studio 60's. So Im jumping ship and joining the Paradigm owners thread. BYE!

ps the 60's are waaaaay better for me. Try them if you question the fullness of your MA's

Theres no accounting for some peoples taste, right guys?
post #659 of 10292 Old 12-30-2006, 05:27 PM

Is there a way to tame the midrange in the RS6, I wonder?
Can you tweak the crossover or frequency of the midrange unit?
I find it a little tiring after a while.

I just listened to the Triangle Antal ESW and it is sweet and beautiful, much better than the RS6, but at $2k is it more in the GS60 range? Has anyone done a direct comparison?
post #660 of 10292 Old 12-30-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Theres no accounting for some peoples taste, right guys?

Too true.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page