Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

I couldn't tell the RS1 from the G10 - please don't yell at me

Thanks and please help!!!

Pete ... you rock,

I wonder if your electronics are not feeding the necessary to
the speakers to hear the difference between the Silvers and the Golds?

Gosh, the difference with NAD middling gear, then Arcam middling gear,
and finally Arcam top of the line gear, regardless, always revealed a significant
differenece between Silver ( very good ), and Gold ( excellent ).

The difference wasn't 10% or near that small. The difference
really mattered. A lot. But there you go, just my experiences with
the gear I worked with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 10282 Old 01-12-2007, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerc View Post

What electronics did they use?

The GS series was hooked up on Myryad separates, and the Platinum line was hooked up on Musical Fidelity.

I have to say that the Platinum are stunning in person. Pictures cannot describe the beauty of a lacquer rosewood finish with the leather baffle. The plinth is interesting in that the binding posts are located on the plinth itself similar to B&W 800 series.

There will be no PL200 model. The reason being that the GS60 is so good for the price, that it takes a signficantly higher priced speaker to achieve a quantifiable difference. Plus this line is cost prohibitive to most people considering, the center and surrounds are extremely expensive to match. They wanted to limit the skus at to not detract from the GS line.

The ribbon tweeter is magic on these. I listened to a Diana Krall recording that was jawdropping. They have the very dynamic and punchy characteristic sound of MA speakers. The tweeter plays loud without compression at all. There is more spatial detail that is retrived in this new design. But I can say one thing. These speakers will not like bad recordings. I didnt talk too much about difficulty of drive, however, 9K speakers generally are engineered to require good amplifiers. This is a true full range design and can be run in a reference 2-channel system without a subwoofer.

I havent decided whether I will floor this speaker yet. If I can get enough interest in the Platinum line I might consider a group buy.

Now, the $1 million dollar question: How does it compare to the current GS? The law of diminishing returns obviously has set in at 4k/pair. But thats not important in the high end. People buy Ferraris all day long, and never drive them over 70mph. Are you paying for the finish of the cabinets? Absolutely, like fine furntiure. Something the wife would be proud to look at. Do they sound better than the GS? Yes, but as with anything in high end, its not an absolute difference. You are paying for more power handling, more spatial detail/dimensionality, more natural/less fatiguing, and perhaps the best ribbon/dynamic driver speaker in the world. Us audiophiles and hometheateraphiles are trying to achieve the "perfect" system. For some of us, 9K/pair is a small price to pay for the extra Nth degree of performance. For everyone else the GS speakers are one of the ultimate high end values out there.
post #723 of 10282 Old 01-12-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had make another post, because I couldnt leave my posts at 666!
post #724 of 10282 Old 01-13-2007, 05:28 AM

I have very limited experience in listening to Monitor Audio speakers. Only 2 channel arrangements on the Bronze line.

I would like to get your opinions how the Bronze, Silver, and Gold Series performs in a multichannel (5.1 or 7.1) environment. BTW, my plans are to integrate the Monitor line with Velodyne subwoofers (most likely their Digital Drive series).

Sincerely,
snooktarpon
post #725 of 10282 Old 01-13-2007, 07:38 AM

-Just found this thread, and thought I'd chime in with my experiences with Monitor Audio.

Short version: I'm very pleased with their performance!

Long version: I've previously owned MA Studio 20, which I used with various amps over the years in stereo configuration; tube amps before I finally sold the speakers.
My experience with the Studio 20 was so positive that I decided to go with MA the next time as well. But this time in a 5.0 system (subwoofer from other manufacturer, see below). Since I didn't have the dough this time (well, I didn't before either - the Studio 20s I had were on sale as B-stock), I went for the Silver series: Silver S8 fronts, SLCR center, and Silver S1 in the back.

For a subwoofer, I went with SVS PB12-Plus/2. You'd think this is a bad combo, what with the 'English' sound of the MAs - but it all integrates beautifully! It just sounds like I have very large front speakers.

I'm very happy with the system's performance, both in stereo and in surround. I'm using an Arcam AVR300 receiver and Tara Labs RSC Reference speaker cables for the fronts.

The only thing I'm not 100% happy with to be honest, is the SLCR center speaker.
It just sounds a bit 'hollow' at times, and has a different sound characteristic than the fronts, something that surprised me a bit since they're in the same series.

So anyway - all in all, I am and have been very happy with Monitor Audio speakers. Both in frequency range, stereo image, musicality, and even punch and share force when it comes to movies.

But they took some time to "burn in" - expect them to sound their best quite some time after you buy them, unless you buy them second hand.

All I want is perfection. Is that so much to ask?
post #726 of 10282 Old 01-13-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

There will be no PL200 model. The reason being that the GS60 is so good for the price, that it takes a signficantly higher priced speaker to achieve a quantifiable difference. Plus this line is cost prohibitive to most people considering, the center and surrounds are extremely expensive to match. They wanted to limit the skus at to not detract from the GS line.

I wonder why they left that fictional and logical product name, available then?

I'm disappointed.

I really do think that the form factor is a significant issue
for a lotta folks -- I can do a 36" tall speaker and get by with it.
42" and taller, nope. Which again leaves someone with that interest,
who is considering dropping $4295 on bookshelves, much more interested in
dropping approx. $6000 on floorstanders with the same top end parts, so to speak.
More bass, fuller mid-range, shorter cable runs, and no expense for stands.

I do understand and appreciate your explanation AA, but I would still say,
sorry MA -- make PL200s. I don't want 40+" taller GS60s.
I want better GS20s, at that form factor.
post #727 of 10282 Old 01-13-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P. View Post

-Just found this thread, and thought I'd chime in with my experiences with Monitor Audio.

Short version: I'm very pleased with their performance!

Long version: I've previously owned MA Studio 20, which I used with various amps over the years in stereo configuration; tube amps before I finally sold the speakers.
My experience with the Studio 20 was so positive that I decided to go with MA the next time as well. But this time in a 5.0 system (subwoofer from other manufacturer, see below). Since I didn't have the dough this time (well, I didn't before either - the Studio 20s I had were on sale as B-stock), I went for the Silver series: Silver S8 fronts, SLCR center, and Silver S1 in the back.

For a subwoofer, I went with SVS PB12-Plus/2. You'd think this is a bad combo, what with the 'English' sound of the MAs - but it all integrates beautifully! It just sounds like I have very large front speakers.

I'm very happy with the system's performance, both in stereo and in surround. I'm using an Arcam AVR300 receiver and Tara Labs RSC Reference speaker cables for the fronts.

The only thing I'm not 100% happy with to be honest, is the SLCR center speaker.
It just sounds a bit 'hollow' at times, and has a different sound characteristic than the fronts, something that surprised me a bit since they're in the same series.

So anyway - all in all, I am and have been very happy with Monitor Audio speakers. Both in frequency range, stereo image, musicality, and even punch and share force when it comes to movies.

But they took some time to "burn in" - expect them to sound their best quite some time after you buy them, unless you buy them second hand.

Interesting. I have heard a few comparisons between the Golds and Silvers. How would you compare the sound of the Studios to the silver line?
post #728 of 10282 Old 01-13-2007, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooktarpon View Post

I have very limited experience in listening to Monitor Audio speakers. Only 2 channel arrangements on the Bronze line.

I would like to get your opinions how the Bronze, Silver, and Gold Series performs in a multichannel (5.1 or 7.1) environment. BTW, my plans are to integrate the Monitor line with Velodyne subwoofers (most likely their Digital Drive series).

Sincerely,
snooktarpon

There is a pronounced improvement as you move up the lines. You really have to listen to all of them to decide if the increase in price is worth it to you.
post #729 of 10282 Old 01-13-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmct View Post

I do understand and appreciate your explanation AA, but I would still say, sorry MA -- make PL200s. I don't want 40+" taller GS60s.

I can understand that. I think the jump from 4 to 9K is alot. I thinnk PL200 would probably sell for closer to 7K.

Another thing I can speculate on, is perhaps the R8s and GS60s are not selling well due to RS6s and GS20s. Maybe MA simply doesnt want to water down their flagship product. Regardless I will be in contact with the guys at MA and voice my concern. You never know what can happen.
post #730 of 10282 Old 01-13-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmct View Post

My sentiments exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

I thinnk PL200 would probably sell for closer to 7K.

At that price I would like to think there is a market - I for one would be interested.
post #731 of 10282 Old 01-14-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTguy View Post

Interesting. I have heard a few comparisons between the Golds and Silvers. How would you compare the sound of the Studios to the silver line?

Aahh - it's been so long that it's hard to remember exactly. But I think I remember that the Silver S8 sounded a tad 'plasticy' compared to the Studio 20. As if the woofer cones had a 'plastic' sound built into them compared to a very natural and straight forward sound in the Studio 20. And I remember being somewhat disappointed in the bass response from the Silver 8, since they have two 6,5" woofers and a combined 6,5" midrange/bass, while the Studio 20 only had one single 6,5" midrange/bass, and the Studio 20 actually had more and deeper bass IMO. Another reason that surprised me, was that I'd read that some people felt the Silver S8 had too much bass to their liking.

However - this isn't really fair to the Silver 8 speakers, since they had to be compared to a very well used pair of Studio 20 and the Silver 8 were brand new at the time of the switch.

I don't really have anything to complain about now, except for the occasional 'hollowness' of the center speaker - which by the way is the only speaker in the set that isn't ported. Don't know if that's significant.

I also felt that the Studio 20 had a somewhat deeper sound stage - however, that could be attributed to room difference (I sold my Studio 20s not long after having moved).

All I want is perfection. Is that so much to ask?
post #732 of 10282 Old 01-14-2007, 02:09 PM

Sorry to change subject but I need some advice. I've been following this thread for the last three months and finally got the RS6 in black at a discount from Magnolia over the weekend. After taking them home, I now think the walnut will be much better. My problem is Magnolia will not give me a discount in walnut because they said it has to be special ordered and I will have to pay MSRP. Is this normal? It seems I don't have too many options as Magnolia are the only ones that carry MAs in Washington state. AA or anyone have any advice will be much appreciated.
post #733 of 10282 Old 01-14-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The price is the same, it's just that they probably had the black in stock and were more willing to discount them because of that. If you want walnut, return them and buy them elsewhere (provided they don't then hit you with a restocking fee).
post #734 of 10282 Old 01-14-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taywu View Post

Sorry to change subject but I need some advice. I've been following this thread for the last three months and finally got the RS6 in black at a discount from Magnolia over the weekend. After taking them home, I now think the walnut will be much better. My problem is Magnolia will not give me a discount in walnut because they said it has to be special ordered and I will have to pay MSRP. Is this normal? It seems I don't have too many options as Magnolia are the only ones that carry MAs in Washington state. AA or anyone have any advice will be much appreciated.

Naw they're screwin with you--my local dealer was offering 20% off no matter what wood color, which *all* had to be special ordered. I am guessing that the retailers cost is around $600 something.
post #735 of 10282 Old 01-14-2007, 02:44 PM

Thanks Brian. That's exactly why I got them at a discount. I can return them without any fees and I'm willing to but where else can I get MAs for a discount? I guess that my question, where are you guys getting your MA and are you getting discounts? PM me if you have pricing info.
post #736 of 10282 Old 01-14-2007, 03:22 PM

Here is the link for the Monitor Audio dealed locator.

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/distributors.htm

Not sure where you're at but there were 6 dealers besides Magnolia listed within 50 miles of the Seattle zip code. All the MA dealers I have talked to would give a discount. Usually about 20%.
post #737 of 10282 Old 01-14-2007, 03:29 PM
hti

Hello MAers,

I currently have:

Front: GS10's
Center: GSLCR
Side: RS1's
Back: RS1's

However, my house just sold and the buyer wants the theater in tact. I built custom speaker shelfs for all speakers that are on the wall. So, I am starting from scratch in my new house, with a 20x20 theater. I am considering going to the GS20's but not sure about having standing speakers... is there a major difference btw the GS20's over 10's. I will probably go with the marantz 125x7 receiver as that is what I had and the performance was exceptional. I might add an amp for the fronts but will play that by ear. The sub I had was an Outlaw LF1, but considering moving to velodyne. Open to ideas?

Thanks.
post #738 of 10282 Old 01-14-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike N Ike View Post

Not sure where you're at but there were 6 dealers besides Magnolia listed within 50 miles of the Seattle zip code. All the MA dealers I have talked to would give a discount. Usually about 20%.

I'm in the Seattle area and also checked MA's site. The other dealers listed there are all custom HT installers so I assumed they would only sell MA as part of an HT package. Regardless, I will be returning my purchase to Magnolia tomrrow and go elsewhere for my walnut RS6. Thanks for all your responses. By the way, one of the dealer I spoke to today said he will be getting the Platnums soon, looking forward to see them in person.
post #739 of 10282 Old 01-14-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hti View Post

... I will probably go with the marantz 125x7 receiver as that is what I had and the performance was exceptional. I might add an amp for the fronts but will play that by ear. The sub I had was an Outlaw LF1, but considering moving to velodyne. ...

Can't help with the GS10 vs GS20s, have only heard ( and own ) the GS10s.

I will say though, that if you can listen to an Arcam AV350, you might not
buy another Marantz. Even the owner of my local shop, a long time Marantz dealer said,
after having compared Marantz AV gear with the Arcam AV350: 'no contest'.

I came to the same conclusion, very quickly. Unfortunately my local guy
does not carry MA, so we listened on the range of Paradigms ( not my taste ),
but also JM Labs and some stiff old Linn speakers too. In all cases, the Arcam
was the clear winner. Oh, and all the tests inclulded a Velodyne sub, forget the model.
post #740 of 10282 Old 01-14-2007, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
You guys should contact SaturdayAudio dot com!!!!! Very good MA discounts
post #741 of 10282 Old 01-15-2007, 11:03 AM
SeƱor Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I think MA needs to do some work on the dealer network (no offense AA ). In my area, only Magnolia stocks any MA product and the do not stock the GS line (only special order). With the Platinum line coming out, I will likely not be able to hear them at a dealer location. I can only hope that one of the high end audio stores in the area picks up the line. Ironically, I really like Kevro and think their Customer Service is top notch but the person running the Dealer Channel seems to be asleep at the wheel.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #742 of 10282 Old 01-16-2007, 02:09 PM

hi i actually purchased the MA RS6 AV with rsw12 (subwoffer)RS-LCR, and RS FX i asked for walnut colour,but my pair of fronts came in black so my dealer asked me ifi would liked the Rs8 or wait 2 weeks ; i need them 80% for Cinema and 20-30% for music, my hall is around 25 metres square.....what is your opnion? thanks !!!
post #743 of 10282 Old 01-17-2007, 07:43 AM

Im thinking of getting a pair of rs8s for front, rs6s for rear and the matching center. I'm sure these speakers being a little forward will give me great detail for female vocals, strings, etc. I do however like a live guitar distortion sound as well. Metal, alternative, etc.. Will the 8's do a good job of a huge cruncy live guitar sound from stuff like stone temple pilots etc..?
post #744 of 10282 Old 01-17-2007, 12:08 PM

I'm new to the MA world (and the HT world) and I've just ordered a pair of GS10s which will be the fronts in my system. I have a Marantz SR8500 receiver, a Mirage S10 sub and a pair of Mirage Omnisats for surrounds (I'm sure the Mirages will be upgraded at some point, but for now the receiver, GS10s and center channel have tied up my budget). My question is what to do about the center channel? The obvious choice is the GS LCR, which is a little more than I would like to spend, but my real issue is it will be very cramped in my rack. The RS LCR is one inch shorter and that might make a big difference. Can I pair the RS center with the GS fronts? The best fit (and cheapest option) would be a Silver 10i. Would that pair well? Obviously the Radius 180 would be great space wise, but that seems like a whole different animal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I have just wasted the better part of this workday reading almost all of this thread. I now feel very good about my decision to go with the GS10s over the RS6s. For the record, my listening room is 15' x 22' with 11' ceilings my front speakers will be on the left side of one of the long walls. I was a little worried about the smaller speakers in my medium to large room. I will be using the setup more for video than audio, but I am fussier when it comes to sound quality with music. I am also prepared to resell my GS10s if I feel like I made the wrong call and want to switch to the RS6s. If you're still reading this, thanks for giving the time to a new MA enthusiast.
post #745 of 10282 Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 PM

I forgot to include the S LCR in the list. There are a bunch of those floating around at a discount. I hesitate to pair a sealed center with ported surrounds though.
post #746 of 10282 Old 01-17-2007, 02:49 PM

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I've held out on buying a system for 9 years. I've always told my wife I wanted to wait until I had the means to do it right (knowing once I made a purchase I would probably not get another shot for a long time!).

I'm lookint to putting together an uncompromised music system (pop, classical, jazz) with excellent HT capabilities (50/50). Leaning towards a 5.1 system (7.1 is too much for room, doens't have the WAF, etc.) My current thoughts are:

AVP2+6
Monitor Audio GS60s with center and surrounds
Axiom Audio EP500 subwoofer
Musical Fidelity A5cr power amp
HTPC w/ RME 9652 sound card to pass undecoded bit perfect audio
HD-DVD/Blu Ray/SACD/DVD-A player (not yet on the market)
HTPC for video upscaling/DVR/etc.

Are there any weak links in this audio setup? I've thought of using GS10s for the rear rather than the GSFX...has anyone tried this out? Would this improve or take away from the SQ in a 5.1 setup?

Musical Fidelity amp matches the speakers and is what Monitor Audio uses at their R&D HQs. I'm not sure whether I should use a different amp to drive the other 3 speakers, or dump and get a five channel Cary Cinema 5 amp...thoughts?
post #747 of 10282 Old 01-17-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahp View Post

BTW I have just wasted the better part of this workday reading almost all of this thread. I now feel very good about my decision to go with the GS10s over the RS6s.

The Golds are better speakers than the Silvers.
I sure could tell a big difference, no question.
And as they should be -- they cost more!

I find the Golds more articulate, more refined, and at the same time
more powerful, but reservedly so. I would take GS10s
any day over Silvers of any model. Of course, I'd take GS20s
over GS10s too. But then they cost more, and they sound better.
There I go again.

I have GS10s, thinking about 20s. The 10s are really good --
really really good.
post #748 of 10282 Old 01-17-2007, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the reinforcement on the GS10s, but does anyone have advice on the center channel. As I said above, I'm looking for slightly smaller alternatives to the GS LCR (even an inch of height would make a difference). Any suggestions or shared experience would help.
post #749 of 10282 Old 01-17-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdyoung75 View Post

Musical Fidelity amp matches the speakers and is what Monitor Audio uses at their R&D HQs.

Interestingly, Arcam uses, or did,
MA speakers in their showrooms at their R&D HQs.

Would expect that British companies would
be loyal, generally. No surprise. But if MA is using
Musical Fidelity, and Arcam is using MAs ...
A little bit of 'who do you love'?

I loved the sound of Musical Fidelity gear with MAs.
I loved the sound of Arcam gear with MAs -- just
a tiny bit more. If you have a chance to audition both,
my free advice: do.

We're in the arena of the very-good-all-over, and
splitting hairs -- down to taste and personal preferences.
post #750 of 10282 Old 01-18-2007, 01:26 PM

I apologize if this has already been covered, I did search but didn't find a good response.

I have small setup consisting of Silver 5i's as my mains, with no subwoofer. When I bought them I knew that I would eventually have to buy one and that time has come. I am curious to see what other ones have found to be a good fit. My setup is designed around listening to vinyl but it is part of a surround setup with HT duties handled by my old Denon Avr-3300. The room is about 15 x 10 with the layout forcing me to have it setup the wrong way with the mains on the long wall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and to the above gentleman suggesting Saturday audio exchange, I whole heartedly second that. I have the pleasure of living a few minutes away and it is by far my favorite shop in Chicago.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page