Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 274 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
post #8191 of 10527 Old 01-20-2012, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted on this forum not to long ago with some questions about speakers, recievers. I decided and pulled the trigger on my set up. I just got the MA silver rx8 towers, with rx1 for surrounds, rx center, hsu -3 mk 4 sub, and a Arcam360 reciever. I will post on how everything sound when I get it set up. Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 10527 Old 01-21-2012, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaDelGato View Post

I pulled the trigger on the gx200/150 front speakers, and they sound great.

The dealer had the gx200 powered by separate Marantz 7005/7055, and the combo sounded absolutely amazing. Unfortunately the Marantz price reflects that. It's still very early, but it seems as though my ageing Pioneer 1015tx is not sounding as good.

The Pioneer also lacks in terms of features, simply due to its age. I was wondering what receivers are considered a good match for MA speakers.

I have an Integara DHC-80.2 and DTA-70.2 combo, similar to the marantz combo used by your dealer. Amazing stuff. I like it better than the Marantz due to it's DSD decoding and audyssey xt32 for movies.
post #8193 of 10527 Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkelly84 View Post

I posted on this forum not to long ago with some questions about speakers, recievers. I decided and pulled the trigger on my set up. I just got the MA silver rx8 towers, with rx1 for surrounds, rx center, hsu -3 mk 4 sub, and a Arcam360 reciever. I will post on how everything sound when I get it set up. Thanks for all the help.

Congrats!! You pulled the trigger on the MA's instead of the energy speakers. You ended up with a nicer set of speakers and receiver too.
post #8194 of 10527 Old 01-21-2012, 05:36 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkelly84 View Post

Hello,
Congratulations!! Please do tell your impressions on your setup. I have a very similar setup. I currently have rx8's at the moment and waiting on the center which should arrive this week and rxfx's in a month. I've had the vtf3 mk4, you'll love it!! I have the vtf15 which I am truly enjoying.

Anyhow, I'm not sure on which receiver to go with, I have a pioneer vsx32 which sounds great but no individual channel crossovers, no sub eq is just not cutting it anymore. I'm debating between an onkyo 1009, maybe even a 3009, I also have a marantz sr7005 on the list. So any opionions and advise would be greatly appreciated.

If anybody else could chime in as well would be great too. I apologize if this has been beaten to death.
Thank you in advance.
post #8195 of 10527 Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Liked: 13
I'm using an Onkyo TX-NR709 with my Silver RX1's and hopefully soon RX Center. The RX1's sound fantastic with the Onkyo. Good combo!
post #8196 of 10527 Old 01-21-2012, 07:26 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

I have an Integara DHC-80.2 and DTA-70.2 combo, similar to the marantz combo used by your dealer. Amazing stuff. I like it better than the Marantz due to it's DSD decoding and audyssey xt32 for movies.

Thanks for replying. If I'm not mistaken, your gear isn't any cheaper than the Marantz 7005/7055 couple. I just picked up a Denon 3312ci for a test drive, and it does have a ton of features that my old 1015 does not.

Video connectivity and upscaling, Internet radio, better room eq., zones: there has been some progress in the last 6 years. OTOH, I was a little surprised to find the 1015 quite a bit heavier than the 3312.

After reading the guide and running the audissey software, the Denon does not sound bad at all. My budget is limited this time around, and I guess I'll have to stick with an integrated amp. Something like the 3312, which has pre-outs, gives me the option to add an extra power amp later on, right?

Is Denon generally considered a good match for Monitor Audio speakers? Other receivers I have an eye on are the Yamaha RX-A1010, Onkyo TX-NR809, Pioneer VSX-52, and Marantz SR6006.
post #8197 of 10527 Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I got a Denon 4311 two days ago and I'm blown away by the SQ. My old AVR was a very solid Pioneer Elite SC-05 but the MultEQXT32 on the Denon makes the old RS setup sound amazing. Does a great job for dual subs as well. It's not cheap but I highly recommend it.

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.
post #8198 of 10527 Old 01-21-2012, 10:57 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

I got a Denon 4311 two days ago and I'm blown away by the SQ. My old AVR was a very solid Pioneer Elite SC-05 but the MultEQXT32 on the Denon makes the old RS setup sound amazing. Does a great job for dual subs as well. It's not cheap but I highly recommend it.

Thanks. I see that the 4311 is already $1000 over the 3312... For that kind of money, I'd probably stretch a little more and get separates.

Unrelated question, is anyone using Emotiva as their power amp, and care to comment?
post #8199 of 10527 Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgetdwn View Post

Hello,
Congratulations!! Please do tell your impressions on your setup. I have a very similar setup. I currently have rx8's at the moment and waiting on the center which should arrive this week and rxfx's in a month. I've had the vtf3 mk4, you'll love it!! I have the vtf15 which I am truly enjoying.

Anyhow, I'm not sure on which receiver to go with, I have a pioneer vsx32 which sounds great but no individual channel crossovers, no sub eq is just not cutting it anymore. I'm debating between an onkyo 1009, maybe even a 3009, I also have a marantz sr7005 on the list. So any opionions and advise would be greatly appreciated.

If anybody else could chime in as well would be great too. I apologize if this has been beaten to death.
Thank you in advance.

Your gonna love the RXFX's, I can't tell you how much I love them when I am watching a 7.1 movie with a lot of action. I have all four in di-pole mode, and I am completely engulfed in audio.
I love my entire Monitor Audio system with SVS subs to back them up on the low-end.
I'm using an Onkyo 5008 AVR, and the XT32 makes it so so sweet sounding.
post #8200 of 10527 Old 01-22-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

Hi all. I unplugged my Monitor Audio RS-w12 subwoofer yesterday. When I plugged it back in, it is making an electrical noise from the woofer, no matter what the gain knob is set to (the volume doesn't change). It was NOT there earlier, and it is not the cable tv signal (I unplugged that). I makes the noise when stand-alone (no cables besides power). It only happens when the power is "ON" (light is green), not in standby when the light is red. When I move the RCA jacks in the back, the noise lessens. I noticed this while plugging/unplugging cables, so I assume something happened to the Amp when I unplugged the cables. Suggestions? I am awesome with a soldering iron (ie, I have mod-chipped about 50 PS2's in the past with 30 awg wire).

I took it all apart, reflowed a bunch of solder connections, and basically "bent" all surface mount resistors and caps since it seemed like something was loose. It made the noise again (buzz/hum) from the woofer, but it went away after about 1 minute. I tested it again in the living room and it did the same thing...seems to go away once it is 'on' for a bit. I can live with that.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #8201 of 10527 Old 01-25-2012, 03:50 PM

I just moved so I need to re-configure my surround speakers to be on-wall.

Any idea the best way to match RS6s with an RSLCR?

I'm looking for RSFX speakers but can't seem to find any in black anymore.

I'm also considering RXFX or BXFX (am told the BXFX might actually be a better match).

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.
post #8202 of 10527 Old 01-26-2012, 01:37 AM

I am interested in receiving some advice from you all:

I have a Monitor Audio 7.1 setup for quite some time. I have a pair of S2's an SLCR Centre and 4 x SFX Surrounds. I am running them off a Denon 3312 Amp and the sound appears to me very good. I do wonder what improvement I could expect to changing them to the new Silver RX range or if the difference would be negligible (it's a lot of money to spend on a newer version)

More urgently I have a Monitor Audio FB212 Sub which has a continual hum as soon as it is powered on. I have no idea how to resolve this, I already have a mains conditioner attached and it just started to this recently. I am considering buying a RXW12 to replace it. How does the RXW12 compare to the FB212 as they are different types of subs and of course the FB212 is quite old now.

I predominantly use my system for movie watching and listing to iPod in multi channel stereo.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #8203 of 10527 Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoPheonix View Post

I have a Monitor Audio 7.1 setup for quite some time. I have a pair of S2's an SLCR Centre and 4 x SFX Surrounds. I am running them off a Denon 3312 Amp and the sound appears to me very good. I do wonder what improvement I could expect to changing them to the new Silver RX range or if the difference would be negligible (it's a lot of money to spend on a newer version)

More urgently I have a Monitor Audio FB212 Sub which has a continual hum as soon as it is powered on. I have no idea how to resolve this, I already have a mains conditioner attached and it just started to this recently. I am considering buying a RXW12 to replace it. How does the RXW12 compare to the FB212 as they are different types of subs and of course the FB212 is quite old now.

I predominantly use my system for movie watching and listing to iPod in multi channel stereo.

Don't waste your money on buying the RXW12 sub, You can get a lot more sub for less money from any of the internet direct subwoofer companies.

I have have the RX's in a 7.1 setup with RXFX's as my surrounds. I love the how well the Monitor Audio and SVS subs sound together.
post #8204 of 10527 Old 01-26-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post

Don't waste your money on buying the RXW12 sub, You can get a lot more sub for less money from any of the internet direct subwoofer companies.

I have have the RX's in a 7.1 setup with RXFX's as my surrounds. I love the how well the Monitor Audio and SVS subs sound together.

Which SVS sub do you use?
post #8205 of 10527 Old 01-26-2012, 02:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Which SVS sub do you use?

I have 2 PB-12 Plus's, so no need for me to have the RX6 or RX8's, the SVS takes care of the low-end. I'm using the RX2's for my left and rights
post #8206 of 10527 Old 01-26-2012, 03:03 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I have 2 PB-12 Plus's, so no need for me to have the RX6 or RX8's, the SVS takes care of the low-end. I'm using the RX2's for my left and rights

I too have the RX2"s coupled with a Paradigm DSP 3400 Sub. I have listned to all the RX speakers and think the the RX2 is the best speaker in the range, sub or no sub. It is a pity that they didnt make a floor stander using the 8" driver used in the RX2'S would have been an awesome speaker. The RX2 punches well above its weight and is comparable to speakers costing 5 times as much. I had been thinking of upgrading the RX2'S only because I have too much Amp for them (Musical Fidelity A5.5 250W PC into 8 Ohms) The only speaker I have heard (at this stage) that I would even Consider are the PL100 or the B&W 805D and we all know how much they cost. However I am open to suggestions. BTW dont particularly like the new GX range.

BTW listen mainly to Jazz. TT Project 2 Xperience Acryl with Grado Platinum Cartridge. Digital Front end Creek EVO CD player. Listen 95% Vinyl 5% CD

"I know you for what you are not- for thats really all you are"-Don Mclean
post #8207 of 10527 Old 01-26-2012, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughalot View Post

I too have the RX2"s coupled with a Paradigm DSP 3400 Sub. I have listned to all the RX speakers and think the the RX2 is the best speaker in the range, sub or no sub. It is a pity that they didnt make a floor stander using the 8" driver used in the RX2'S would have been an awesome speaker. The RX2 punches well above its weight and is comparable to speakers costing 5 times as much. I had been thinking of upgrading the RX2'S only because I have too much AMp for them (Musical Fidelity A5.5 250W PC into 8 Ohms) The only speaker I have heard (at this stage that I would even Consider are the PL100 or the B&W 805D and we all know how much they cost.

The Only thing I do not like about the RX2's is having to deal with multiple settings/set-up. I have gone from 'Al ch stereo' to 'Stereo' or 'Pure Audio'. My Movie settings are so different then what I like with music.

Movie watching, I have the plug in the back of the RX2's and at 60hz.
Music, I want the plugs taken out and then have the RX2's at full range, without using my subs. Since getting Monitor Audio, I listen to much more music.

I do sometimes go the sub route and not change any settings or remove plugs.
post #8208 of 10527 Old 01-26-2012, 03:17 AM

Quote:

The Only thing I do not like about the RX2's is having to deal with multiple settings/set-up. I have gone from 'Al ch stereo' to 'Stereo' or 'Pure Audio'. My Movie settings are so different then what I like with music.

Movie watching, I have the plug in the back of the RX2's and at 60hz.
Music, I want the plugs taken out and then have the RX2's at full range, without using my subs. Since getting Monitor Audio, I listen to much more music.

I do sometimes go the sub route and not change any settings or remove plugs.

I leave mine set for music I couldnt give a Fig about movie sound it is what it is. Music is my thing that is why I use a dedicated 2 Channel Amplifier. It does have a HT bypass and absaloodle brings out the best in the RX2'S. What I have found is that the RX2'S need good amplification to sound their best.

post #8209 of 10527 Old 01-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I leave mine set for music I couldnt give a Fig about movie sound it is what it is. Music is my thing

I understand, some love music, and some like me love Movies. Well when I bought them, I was about using them about 95% for Movies and only about 5% music. I now am about 60% movies and 40% music, and this is because of MA.

The RX2's are great, and I don't know which ones I am more proud of, the RX2's or the RXFX's... The RXFX's in dipole more are just amazing for movies, and I have four of them.
post #8210 of 10527 Old 01-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I leave mine set for music I couldnt give a Fig about movie sound it is what it is. Music is my thing that is why I use a dedicated 2 Channel Amplifier. It does have a HT bypass and absaloodle brings out the best in the RX2'S. What I have found is that the RX2'S need good amplification to sound their best.

I'm using the Onkyo 5008 which audio is great and has power, I am wondering about getting something rated higher then the speakers to see how they handle the power.
post #8211 of 10527 Old 01-26-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:

I'm using the Onkyo 5008 which audio is great and has power, I am wondering about getting something rated higher then the speakers to see how they handle the power.

Have a listen to the Musical Fidelity Amps. They have a wonderful synergy with MA speakers and a HT bypass to boot. Listned to many Amps before I settled on the A5.5. Bought it 2nd hand for less than half of new. Remember power doesnt blow speakers half as quick as clipping and distortion does. The headroom in the A5.5 is awesome

post #8212 of 10527 Old 01-26-2012, 03:51 AM

So any thoughts on changing my S2, SLCR and SFX to the new RX range?
post #8213 of 10527 Old 01-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So any thoughts on changing my S2, SLCR and SFX to the new RX range?

I don't know anything about those.
post #8214 of 10527 Old 01-26-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 365
It's a cliche, but I think the best advice is to listen for yourself to decide whether the upgrade to the RX series is worth it.

I've owned speakers from the S series, the RS series, and the RX series. I've found each one to be a bit better than the previous generation, but to me the differences are more subtle than night-and-day.

I found the S series a little warm (mid bass emphasis, slightly rolled off treble), but it had a couple of resonances in the mid treble that sometimes annoyed me (they only showed up with certain material, but when they did, they had a "piercing," or "shrill" quality to them).

The RS series was brighter, with less midbass emphasis, cleaner deep bass but more treble emphasis. The mid treble resonances were gone.

The RX series is a tad less bright than the RS, with less treble emphasis, a better integrated midrange, and with cleaner treble, but not as warm as the S series. I think it's the best balance overall.

Whether you'll find the RX a subtle difference or a dramatic difference depends on you. I do think they're better. But I'm not sure I'd spend a fortune to replace the older series. (I only did the three because I got great deals on all of them; otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.)

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #8215 of 10527 Old 01-28-2012, 09:07 AM

Anyone have a suggestion on how to test a RX Center I am picking up used? I want to make sure it doesn't have any issues, but other than simple listening I am not sure how to do that.
post #8216 of 10527 Old 01-28-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx00 View Post

Anyone have a suggestion on how to test a RX Center I am picking up used? I want to make sure it doesn't have any issues, but other than simple listening I am not sure how to do that.

Hook it up to either left or right front and play some music that you know really well. Preferably something that has a full complment of instruments and voice. If there are any problems they wont take long to surface

post #8217 of 10527 Old 01-28-2012, 11:21 AM

Liked: 13
That's pretty much it. Play some music, movies, etc. and listen away. Your ears will tell you if everything is fine. RX Center is nice. I'll get one eventually to match my RX1's.
post #8218 of 10527 Old 01-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post

That's pretty much it. Play some music, movies, etc. and listen away. Your ears will tell you if everything is fine. RX Center is nice. I'll get one eventually to match my RX1's.

It is a very nice center unit. Just a small tip, if you cant place it at ear level try and tilt it a couple of degrees so that the tweeter is pointed as close to ear level as possible, it really improves the sound quality.

post #8219 of 10527 Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

More urgently I have a Monitor Audio FB212 Sub which has a continual hum as soon as it is powered on. I have no idea how to resolve this, I already have a mains conditioner attached and it just started to this recently.

Did you add anything or make ANY changes to your setup? new cable box? Also, any changes to your electrical system? New lights? Anything at all? First thing is first, does it make the noise when only plugged into the power outlet (no signal cable)
Quote:

I am considering buying a RXW12 to replace it. How does the RXW12 compare to the FB212 as they are different types of subs and of course the FB212 is quite old now.

The RX-w12 is a mean sub for it's size. I have it in a 2.1 system with Energy RC-70s, listening to it at the moment. It really shines with music, and isn't too bad for movies either, but as mentioned, more can be gotten for less $$. At MSRP, this sub probably is not worth it. I got mine for $400 CAD...which is a steal IMO. [PIC] If I was in the US, I would most likely get a Rythmik servo or SVS

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #8220 of 10527 Old 01-28-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:

You most likely have a groud loop problem. try grounding the sub to ground post of your amplifier. that should solve the problem

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page