Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 276 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #8251 of 10378 Old 02-17-2012, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just adding to the post above: the BX5's are hooked to a modest Yamaha A-S500, and I'm very happy with that combo too. Powerful and clean. So, I believe you won't have trouble driving either the BX5's or the BX2's with your Onkyo.

VMat

VMat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8252 of 10378 Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 AM

Liked: 10
Looking for a second Monitor FB 210 subwoofer for my home theatre. Any suggestions on best way to find a good used one?
post #8253 of 10378 Old 02-18-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

Nice. Welcome to the Maritimes. My sub is a MA rx-w12. Great little sub but price tag is tooooo high Bought mine from a guy in the city for 4 bills.

Thanks for the welcome Caper. Hope the winter has been good for you. You in CB or Hfx? What other MA gear you have?
post #8254 of 10378 Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberboy View Post

Looking for a second Monitor FB 210 subwoofer for my home theatre. Any suggestions on best way to find a good used one?

I saw one on ebay not too long ago. There is always audiogon and videogon too.
post #8255 of 10378 Old 02-18-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggy_9 View Post

Thanks for the welcome Caper. Hope the winter has been good for you. You in CB or Hfx? What other MA gear you have?

From CB living up in annapolis valley. I only have the sub, and it is the RS-w12, not rx, my bad. The rest of my speakers are all Energy. what is you setup?

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #8256 of 10378 Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 AM

I just got a pair of BX5 floor standing speakers. I am replacing a pair of BR2 I was using on stands as my mains.

My setup is a simple 2.1 system just for music. The receiver is a Yamaha RXV-2700 and sub is a Paradigm dsp 10 inch (I forget the model). I'm using bi-amp for the speakers. This Yamaha has "balls" and the BX5 handle it very well. Music sounds very full and pleasing. My room has always been bass challenged (basement) but the BX5 fills it very nice and blends perfectly with the sub. Something the bookshelf BR2didnt do very well. I'm really happy with the BX5!
post #8257 of 10378 Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 AM

I just got a pair of BX5 floor standing speakers. I am replacing a pair of BR2 I was using on stands as my mains.

My setup is a simple 2.1 system just for music. The receiver is a Yamaha RXV-2700 and sub is a Paradigm dsp 10 inch (I forget the model). I'm using bi-amp for the speakers. This Yamaha has "balls" and the BX5 handle it very well. Music sounds very full and pleasing. My room has always been bass challenged (basement) but the BX5 fills it very nice and blends perfectly with the sub. Something the bookshelf BR2didnt do very well. I'm really happy with the BX5!
post #8258 of 10378 Old 02-23-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Not news to this thread, but just wanted to add my kudos to Matt @ Kevro for excellent customer support.
post #8259 of 10378 Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I own a GS Gold Series set (GS60 fronts, GSLCR centre). Can't seem to find brand-new matching GS-FX rears. So I was thinking of using a pair of brand-new RX-FX rears, I notice Monitor Audio uses the same C-CAM construction/materials in the drivers, they should be a close timbre match?
post #8260 of 10378 Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 PM

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone was running ma rx series with a pioneer sc57? I currently have an onkyo 3009. The Sound is fantastic especially with movies. Previous to the onkyo I had a pioneer vsx32, sound was amazing, great detailed highs, nice mids and bass was well just... meh. I went for the onkyo for auddessy, individual crossovers, sub eq and since I'm primarly movies it seemed like a no-brainer, however since purchasing ma rx's I find myself listening to alot more music just like many of us here, well from what the posts I've read. Don't get me wrong the onkyo is no slouch in that aspect either.

Honestly, I'm having hdmi issues with the onkyo in the 2 weeks I've had it and even shutting down a couple of times. IMO for a 2k receiver it's just not accecptable. Luckily though I can swap it out. I don't think I can do another onkyo, I was also looking at the denon 4311 but it just sounds a little thin to me.

Once again thank you guys for any advise or suggestions and as always its greatly appreciated.

Thank you
post #8261 of 10378 Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_P View Post

that would be the DSP 3100 Sub. I use a DSP3400 14" Driver with a pair of RX2's. Awesome Sub goes Subsonic and actually shakes the building

"I know you for what you are not- for thats really all you are"-Don Mclean
post #8262 of 10378 Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 AM

Wanted: GSLCR in Walnut. GSFX pair also in walnut
post #8263 of 10378 Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 PM

Hello all,

While sitting here enjoying the wonderful sound of my RS8's I noticed that my sound stage seems to have shifted to the left. Thought that maybe it was the material so tried something different and still the same result. Come to find out that I believe during one of my spirited listening sessions I may have fried my right tweeter.

Would any of you from the Bay Area Ca. have any reccomendations as to where I can order a replacement? Also if anyone else has been unfortunate as I, do you recall roughly the cost of a replacement.

Thanks for all your support.

Bret
post #8264 of 10378 Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgetdwn View Post

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone was running ma rx series with a pioneer sc57? I currently have an onkyo 3009. The Sound is fantastic especially with movies. Previous to the onkyo I had a pioneer vsx32, sound was amazing, great detailed highs, nice mids and bass was well just... meh. I went for the onkyo for auddessy, individual crossovers, sub eq and since I'm primarly movies it seemed like a no-brainer, however since purchasing ma rx's I find myself listening to alot more music just like many of us here, well from what the posts I've read. Don't get me wrong the onkyo is no slouch in that aspect either.

Honestly, I'm having hdmi issues with the onkyo in the 2 weeks I've had it and even shutting down a couple of times. IMO for a 2k receiver it's just not accecptable. Luckily though I can swap it out. I don't think I can do another onkyo, I was also looking at the denon 4311 but it just sounds a little thin to me.

Once again thank you guys for any advise or suggestions and as always its greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I have an arcam avr200 driving a pair of rx6, a rx center and in ceiling 265fx. It does a spectacular job...great 5.1 and a massive yet sweet stereo sound. I can't stop listening to my vinyl and dac, very highly recommended!!!
post #8265 of 10378 Old 02-25-2012, 06:32 AM

I can't agree more on the Arcam. I had an AVR300 for a couple years and was excellent.
post #8266 of 10378 Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapco View Post

Hello all,

While sitting here enjoying the wonderful sound of my RS8's I noticed that my sound stage seems to have shifted to the left. Thought that maybe it was the material so tried something different and still the same result. Come to find out that I believe during one of my spirited listening sessions I may have fried my right tweeter.

Would any of you from the Bay Area Ca. have any reccomendations as to where I can order a replacement? Also if anyone else has been unfortunate as I, do you recall roughly the cost of a replacement.

Thanks for all your support.

Bret

Where in the Bay Area are you located? Find a dealer or talk to the distributor, kevro I believe. If on the peninsula, hermarys and magnolia. North Bay, world of sound
post #8267 of 10378 Old 02-26-2012, 08:17 PM

I have a pair of Silver 8i's and have seen pics of some that have soft looking spikes on the base. I bought mine used and they came with the spikes but was there another set of soft spikes? If not, what can I use? I like the way they look raised a bit.
post #8268 of 10378 Old 02-29-2012, 09:59 AM

Hello -

been lurking for a while and reading the posts here. I recently purchased the silver setup. 2xRX8, 2xRXFX and the Center. Went with a supercube 4000 for the sub. our space is not that big, about 15 by 18.

I have two questions:

1. do the plinths add anything to the sound of the speaker? My wife is not that fond of the them
2. for the RXFX, i am handing them on the walls in both corners. is there a certain amount of space these are recommended to be from the side wall or can they be close to flush, ie a 3-5 inches? Since the speakers have the tweeter on both sides, I want to make sure i get the full sound from them. One of the speakers will be further out as that wall is longer adn i will have to adjust the delivery time with the receiver (VSX-52)

Appreciate the input. thanks
post #8269 of 10378 Old 02-29-2012, 04:09 PM

Liked: 11
Planning on going with Monitor's RX6's for my HT room. I would love to go with the RX8's but they appear to be so much more. Can anyone fill me in as to the going rate for the RX8's? Also, are there any distributors on this site where I could possibly get them cheaper? Thanks in advance.
post #8270 of 10378 Old 02-29-2012, 06:48 PM

Hi everyone,

I´m going to upgrade my paradigm cinema 70, to a better system.

I can buy a pair of monitor audio rs6 - klipsch rf 62 - energy rc30 in the same range of money....

Can you tell me wich is the better choice?
Can you also tell me if a denon 2311 is a good recevier for this speaker?

Las question
The paradigm cinema Sub is good enough for this setup?

Thanks a lot ! i need your help.
post #8271 of 10378 Old 02-29-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 322
I used to own the RS6 and the Energy RC30. The RS6 has better bass, but since you're using a sub, that won't matter so much. The RS6 has more detail in the mids and highs, but some people find it "bright," ie, the highs are a bit emphasized. If you like a bright speaker, you'd prefer the RS6. In contrast, if you like a warm, mellow, laid-back speaker, you'd prefer the RC30.

I haven't heard the Klipsch so I can't comment on it.

I think that Denon receiver would be fine for driving any of these speakers. They're all fairly easy loads for an amp.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #8272 of 10378 Old 03-01-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgetdwn View Post

Hello,

Thank you

I had 3 replacements 809 in 3 months, and ended up upgrading to the 5009... so far so good... but if I could change AVR brands (which I couldn't), I would investigate Arcam and Marantz.... not a fan of the Marantz look... but I do like their sound very much ....

I still find my RX8's a bit thin sounding on my set up (Onkyo 5009, Emotva XPA-5) ... my Quad's 12L and Marantz amp in my bedroom sound very, very nice and warm, with detail,mid and bottom end...

for music I have a tube pre-amp and MDAC, which helps the system a bit...

to summ up, you need to match your gear carefully with the MA's... or they can sound thin ...

also, a major difference in my gear was to remove Silver speaker cables, and use only copper ones... it gave my speaker a much improved sound....

waiting for Calabrine Black Widow's 7 gauge copper cables to arrive... hope that it will further improve the sound to my taste....

when/if I change receivers, I'll def look into arcam and marantz.... love the marantz sound...

Can't get enough of technology .... Love the toys!!!
post #8273 of 10378 Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrecoba View Post

Hi everyone,

I´m going to upgrade my paradigm cinema 70, to a better system.

I can buy a pair of monitor audio rs6 - klipsch rf 62 - energy rc30 in the same range of money....

Can you tell me wich is the better choice?
Can you also tell me if a denon 2311 is a good recevier for this speaker?

Las question
The paradigm cinema Sub is good enough for this setup?

Thanks a lot ! i need your help.

What range of money are we talking here? The RC70s are $400 each at the moment. You won't find a better speaker for that price. They retail at over $1250 a piece.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #8274 of 10378 Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm234 View Post

Planning on going with Monitor's RX6's for my HT room. I would love to go with the RX8's but they appear to be so much more. Can anyone fill me in as to the going rate for the RX8's? Also, are there any distributors on this site where I could possibly get them cheaper? Thanks in advance.

rx8 are typically 1750 for the pair in the standard finish and 2000 for the gloss, at least what i've seen from the authorized dealers, ie magnolia.
post #8275 of 10378 Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm234 View Post

Sent you a PM.
post #8276 of 10378 Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 PM

Code:
What range of money are we talking here? The RC70s are $400 each at the moment. You won't find a better speaker for that price. They retail at over $1250 a piece.
In my country this is what i can bought, i haven´t got many options..
post #8277 of 10378 Old 03-01-2012, 01:14 PM

Going rate varies by dealer and series. I've had local dealers offer 10-15% off typically. Your mileage may vary.
post #8278 of 10378 Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

Sent you a PM.

I replied to your PM.
post #8279 of 10378 Old 03-01-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm looking at upgrading from my NHT speakers and looking at getting the RX8's. Anyone who had NHT speakers and upgraded to RX8's how to you like the sound. Also where can I find a good deal on these speakers thanks.

post #8280 of 10378 Old 03-01-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB173 View Post

Hello -

been lurking for a while and reading the posts here. I recently purchased the silver setup. 2xRX8, 2xRXFX and the Center. Went with a supercube 4000 for the sub. our space is not that big, about 15 by 18.

I have two questions:

1. do the plinths add anything to the sound of the speaker? My wife is not that fond of the them
2. for the RXFX, i am handing them on the walls in both corners. is there a certain amount of space these are recommended to be from the side wall or can they be close to flush, ie a 3-5 inches? Since the speakers have the tweeter on both sides, I want to make sure i get the full sound from them. One of the speakers will be further out as that wall is longer adn i will have to adjust the delivery time with the receiver (VSX-52)

Appreciate the input. thanks

My wife felt the same way about the plinths, so I put my RX6's on a pair of 6" Lovan Jazz speaker stands. I am happy with the sound and it lifted the tweeters to ear height.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page