Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 277 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #8281 of 10282 Old 03-04-2012, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been on this sight for a few years doing my research. Slowly building my system when there's money to do so. My resent purchase, the Monitor Audio RX6's and man do they rock all sorts of awesomeness. Here's a couple of picks of my setup so far. The speakers just sound amazing. The stage is so wide and encompassing they almost sound like a complete system. My buddies were surprised that it sounded like I had a center channel and a sub. Now Im curious to see how things will sound when I do pick up a center and sub. Now back to watching every movie in my collection again.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 10282 Old 03-04-2012, 01:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSamurai View Post

Been on this sight for a few years doing my research. Slowly building my system when there's money to do so. My resent purchase, the Monitor Audio RX6's and man do they rock all sorts of awesomeness. Here's a couple of picks of my setup so far. The speakers just sound amazing. The stage is so wide and encompassing they almost sound like a complete system. My buddies were surprised that it sounded like I had a center channel and a sub. Now Im curious to see how things will sound when I do pick up a center and sub. Now back to watching every movie in my collection again.

I know how you feel. We did the same thing a few months ago and had the same reaction. Stretched and added the RX center and it is awesome. The RX6 crossover is set to 40 because the depth of the bass is so good that it doesn't need big time sub support. The Paradigm sub is about 10 years old and probably needs replacement, but it isn't asked to do as much these days. You may find you'll start listening to music more, too!
post #8283 of 10282 Old 03-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Congrats!!! They look beautiful, just lovely!!!! Take your time with adding and enjoying at the same time.

I use to believe everyone wants to upgrade with whatever they have, but not me, I have no intentions of upgrading my set.

I use to have an Onkyo 805, and upgraded it to the Onkyo 5008 and that was a very nice inclusion to my already combo of MA's/SVS subs
post #8284 of 10282 Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I had the chance to audition the RX8s this past weekend. I compared it to the B&W PM1 on an Arcam A18 and again against the B&W CM9 on a Bryston setup.

In my opinion, while the B&W have a certain silky smoothness in their treble response, the RX8 was clearly the superior, more robust, speaker. In my opinion they are a fabulous value. If you need a strong 2.0 setup without a sub, I say look no further.

That said, they are probably larger than what I want and will most likely go with the Dynaudio X12 or X16.

I just wanted to step in and compliment you all on the excellent speaker and share that I feel that the B&W CM9 (costing 2x as much) can't hold a candle to the RX8.
post #8285 of 10282 Old 03-05-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 439
The Monitor Audio RX series, is good

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8286 of 10282 Old 03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I got a chance to listen to the RX8 and CM9 and to me on some songs the CM9 was better on others the RX8 was. It's a toss-up on which one to get and cost comes in to play also.

post #8287 of 10282 Old 03-05-2012, 12:53 PM

I picked up a pair of RX-1's and RX Centre and a pair of the Boston VS260 for comparison (based on zieglj01 recommendation). I had a very difficult time deciding between the two since they both sound amazing. Ultimately it came down to aesthetics and to my desire to have a matching setup for an eventual 5.1 system (with RXFX's perhaps) and concern for the BA's being discontinued and having a hard time finding matching components that helped me decide to stick with the MA's.

I've been looking for about a month for some used Walnut RXFX's to finish out my system. I'm not sure if they are ideal for my set up so I sent an email to MA tech support to get their opinion. If any MA RXFX owners can offer some advice on my set up and whether I should go with RXFX's or another pair of RX-1's, BX-1's or P90's for the back/sides then please chime in. Below is a mock up of my proposed placement of the RXFX's:
LL
LL
post #8288 of 10282 Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Hi

Congratulation with your new speakers!, yes, the RX6 are truly great speakers.
I had RX6 in Black Gloss finish but sold them a while ago, I really missed them alot, so now I ordered the RX8 in White Gloss finish, really looking forward to get them, hopefully the White Gloss finish will suit great in my living room.
post #8289 of 10282 Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
How does the center channel match with the fronts in HT. Was reading a review at Hometheater.com and this is what he said about the center channel. "When I turned the RX Center 90 degrees so that it sat vertically, the whole system snapped into better focus." So what do you guys think of this having the center channel vertical instead of horizontal.

post #8290 of 10282 Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

How does the center channel match with the fronts in HT. Was reading a review at Hometheater.com and this is what he said about the center channel. "When I turned the RX Center 90 degrees so that it sat vertically, the whole system snapped into better focus." So what do you guys think of this having the center channel vertical instead of horizontal.

I have it horizontal. Unless you are very sensitive I don't think that should matter.
post #8291 of 10282 Old 03-07-2012, 05:23 AM

Ordered a set of BX2's, Bx1's, and the BX Center for my front 5 (7.1/height) yesterday. The dealer says I should have them no later than Monday. Now I just need to figure out what I am going to to for the rear channel (in ceiling is my only real option) and start thinking about upgrading the sub (currently a BIC F12). I can't wait to get these things set up...
post #8292 of 10282 Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Would you guys buy just a single GR60 for a good price? $450... I ask because I have the chance to buy it ... I am in the process of building a system for my living room ..,, but where would I buy the other one??? How long would it take for another to show up? What do you guys recommend? Or does any of you have one for sale
post #8293 of 10282 Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

Would you guys buy just a single GR60 for a good price? $450... I ask because I have the chance to buy it ... I am in the process of building a system for my living room ..,, but where would I buy the other one??? How long would it take for another to show up? What do you guys recommend? Or does any of you have one for sale

Hold out for a proper pair
post #8294 of 10282 Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 AM

There is slim chance you will find another single for sale used.
post #8295 of 10282 Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 PM

About to buy a couple RX-6's and suddenly I have a couple other possibilities which is making this decision quite a bit harder.

The other possibilities are in the B&W CM series. A pair of CM 7s or CM8s at a killer deal. I've been quite impressed with both of these lines (RX and CM).

So then I start to think about getting the larger RX8s seeing that they are 3-way. But I haven't cut out the RX2s, since they have a larger woofer than the RX6. Yet that shouldn't matter being paired with a HSU sub.

This system will be a 7.1 used mainly for movies/games (want blockbuster-smile inducing-sound), but I really need it to shine when listening to a large variety of music, but especially metal.

Any suggestions...?

Have a Denon to drive these, but I want to upgrade.
post #8296 of 10282 Old 03-08-2012, 02:34 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvos View Post

About to buy a couple RX-6's and suddenly I have a couple other possibilities which is making this decision quite a bit harder.

The other possibilities are in the B&W CM series. A pair of CM 7s or CM8s at a killer deal. I've been quite impressed with both of these lines (RX and CM).

So then I start to think about getting the larger RX8s seeing that they are 3-way. But I haven't cut out the RX2s, since they have a larger woofer than the RX6. Yet that shouldn't matter being paired with a HSU sub.

This system will be a 7.1 used mainly for movies/games (want blockbuster-smile inducing-sound), but I really need it to shine when listening to a large variety of music, but especially metal.

Any suggestions...?

Selvos,

I would recommend you listen to the speakers before you buy them. I auditioned the rx8 and rx6 5.1 system against B&W and Def Tech and Martin Logan. Some of the setups were more expensive and some were less, but I settled on the rx8 as I prefer a little more bass.

You can do it with different receivers as well but that is much harder since most shops haven't equalized the receivers since how can you do that for speakers that are all different lengths apart right. however, you can get on volume and pick up some differences.

Everyone hears something different so absolutely go and audition. I ended up with a Pioneer receiver and the rx8 system.
post #8297 of 10282 Old 03-09-2012, 07:46 AM

I own a set of Monitor Audio Gold GX100s, Gold GXC150. All in piano black and the fronts with their original stands.

I still use the sub and rears from my previous KEF 3005 set.

I like them a lot and they are being controlled by a Marantz SR7005.

Here are some pictures in my previous home, the center doesn't really fit

post #8298 of 10282 Old 03-09-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvos View Post

Any suggestions...?

Hi

You really should try to listening to the speakers before you make your decision. My opinion is that B&W CM-series is a step up the range, better speakers than Monitor RX-series, the RX-series is something in between B&W 600-series and CM-series. You say your system will mainly be used for movies/games, and if your variety of music is mostly bass heavy music I would consider the RX-line.
You could probably get the RX8 for less than CM8, and RX6 also have better/more bass than the CM8. I owned both CM8, CM9 and RX6.
The RX-line is also an easier load than the CM-series, and also got higher sensitivity than the CM speakers. For mainly movies/games/bass heavy music I would go for the Monitor Audio RX-series, for mainly music, all kind of genres, but mainly jazz, acoustic etc I would recommend the B&W CM-series. I don't think any Denon budget receiver will do the B&W CM speakers justice, MA would be far better IMO.
post #8299 of 10282 Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB173 View Post

Selvos,

I would recommend you listen to the speakers before you buy them. I auditioned the rx8 and rx6 5.1 system against B&W and Def Tech and Martin Logan. Some of the setups were more expensive and some were less, but I settled on the rx8 as I prefer a little more bass.

You can do it with different receivers as well but that is much harder since most shops haven't equalized the receivers since how can you do that for speakers that are all different lengths apart right. however, you can get on volume and pick up some differences.

Everyone hears something different so absolutely go and audition. I ended up with a Pioneer receiver and the rx8 system.

I've auditioned each of these speakers, not extensively the CM8s. However I did not hear the RXs with movies. When I heard an entire setup (5.1) with the CMs, it was probably the best I've ever heard. But then, the RXs really blew me away because I felt that they were such a drastic difference from the RS series.

The RXs were driven by a marantz amp and I believe that the CMs were driven by a Pioneer.

Probably just being picky...like all of us here, but I've heard some expensive setups that were good, not great...or at least not suited for my tastes.

One other thing, I have a pair of bookshelves with Kevlar woofers. They're a bit too laid back for me. They'd probably be perfect for smooth Jazz, but i'm really not into that. The Cms are Kevlar as well. The RXs have a more forward sound, not overly so though, as I've heard....

...well, just realized... I'm going to have to go audition again.
post #8300 of 10282 Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 AM

Got a call this morning from the dealer that the speakers I ordered (BX2, BX1, BX Centre) were in. I just got done setting them up and have Slacker streaming through the receiver with all channels playing to make sure everything is plugged in right and to start breaking them in. Once I have some more time I'll mess with placement and re-run Audessey. However, fresh out of the box they sound amazing compared to the old system. I'm really amazed at how crisp they sound and the subtle details in songs I've heard a hundred times that I seem to have never really noticed.
post #8301 of 10282 Old 03-09-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnelltech View Post

Got a call this morning from the dealer that the speakers I ordered (BX2, BX1, BX Centre) were in. I just got done setting them up and have Slacker streaming through the receiver with all channels playing to make sure everything is plugged in right and to start breaking them in. Once I have some more time I'll mess with placement and re-run Audessey. However, fresh out of the box they sound amazing compared to the old system. I'm really amazed at how crisp they sound and the subtle details in songs I've heard a hundred times that I seem to have never really noticed.

Congrats!! Welcome to the MA family.
post #8302 of 10282 Old 03-09-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by swestland View Post

I own a set of Monitor Audio Gold GX100s, Gold GXC150. All in piano black and the fronts with their original stands.

Congratulations! That must be a wonderful sounding setup.

I continue to be impressed with the GX range. I keep bugging my local Monitor Audio dealer and have had three listening sessions with some GX50's. The last time just a couple of days ago, I took my own PSB Imagine B monitors in with me for a side-by-side comparison. The 50's sounded fuller with more bass and vocals sounded much more real and lifelike. I think I will be purchasing the GX50's in the next month or two. Finally found another 2-way monitor I like better than my Imagine B's. None of the Dynaudios in my budget range sounded as good as my PSB's (X16' DMs) although I did purchase a set of DM2/6 for surrounds.

I would be interested to hear more feedback from you with your GX100's as there isn't much around in user feedback on the GX range online at the moment.
post #8303 of 10282 Old 03-09-2012, 01:58 PM

Liked: 13
I listened extensively to the Gold GX50's late last year. I loved them. It made me buy the Gold GX300 towers and a Gold GXC350 center. These speakers do take awhile to break in, but they are really open up given some time (50-100 hours). First thing I noticed when I demo'd the GX50 was the detail. The levels of detail, the clean midrange and imaging were really first rate. The GX300 / GXC350 combo takes everything that GX50 has with added bass capability. Truly amazing loudspeakers. They sound like baby Platinum PL300's which I had a chance to demo last year. I demo'd the RX6/RX8 extensively last year and was very interested in buying them but I held out till I could get a chance to listen to the Gold GX's last year based on the tech that was coming from the Platinum's. I'm glad I waited and got the Gold GX's in February.

I still did end up buying some Silver RX's, I have some RX1's for my computer setup.
post #8304 of 10282 Old 03-10-2012, 08:49 AM

Before I got the Gold GXs I owned a KEF 3005 set, which were great for movies but lacked detail when just listening to music. So I went to look for an upgrade and listened to a variety of speakers at my local HiFi shop.
I listened to the following:
B&W 683/684
KEF Q700
Paradigm 11
Monitor Audio RX8
Montor Audio Gold GX100.

After listening I had a preference for the Q700s and the RX8. Then I asked the guy what else he had with a slight budget increase, then he came up with the GX100s and I was sold. They sound incredibly detailed in the highs (thx to the ribbon tweeter) and mids. I listen to a lot of live performances and it sounds if you are there. They lack some low bass but I have a subwoofer to compensate for that. Probably GX200s don't have that problem but these where out of my budget as I wanted a new center as well.

Went back to listen to the RX8 and Q700 again but the GX100s are just on another higher level. They use the techs from their previous platinum range and that comes out very well.

They look stunning and their build quality is perfect, thick high gloss piano lacquer and the metal grill is attached with invisible magnets.
I still love them everyday and also in movies they know how to blow you away. The intro of Transformers dark side of the moon is still a very good demo
post #8305 of 10282 Old 03-10-2012, 09:48 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post

I listened extensively to the Gold GX50's late last year. I loved them. It made me buy the Gold GX300 towers and a Gold GXC350 center. These speakers do take awhile to break in, but they are really open up given some time (50-100 hours). First thing I noticed when I demo'd the GX50 was the detail. The levels of detail, the clean midrange and imaging were really first rate. The GX300 / GXC350 combo takes everything that GX50 has with added bass capability. Truly amazing loudspeakers. They sound like baby Platinum PL300's which I had a chance to demo last year. I demo'd the RX6/RX8 extensively last year and was very interested in buying them but I held out till I could get a chance to listen to the Gold GX's last year based on the tech that was coming from the Platinum's. I'm glad I waited and got the Gold GX's in February.

I still did end up buying some Silver RX's, I have some RX1's for my computer setup.

Gary, may I ask if you had a chance to compare the gx300/350 with the gx200/150? I have had the gx200 for a couple of months, and started wondering I should have gone an extra step up, and got the 300s.

While the 200's high/middle range is great, I think I'd like a little extra bass extension, this is listening to music (2 channels). I've tried using the sub to compensate for that, but I always end up going back to the two towers.

I've never listened to the 300's myself.
post #8306 of 10282 Old 03-10-2012, 02:20 PM

I have not had the chance to listen to the GX200 / GX100 or GXC150 unfortunately. I am either going to do the GX200 or GX300 for the rear speakers. I am interested in hearing them. I am interested in possibly getting the GX100 or GX50 with a GXC150 center for the computer, but I probably will not do that and stay with my RX1. I will say the GX50 with a JL sub sounded amazing when I demo'd it. I currently pair my RX1 with a Velodyne HGS-10. My GX300 / GXC350 combo has a big Velodyne F-1800R paired with it.
post #8307 of 10282 Old 03-10-2012, 06:25 PM

In my LR i currently have BR LCR Bronze in the center and 2 B2's on either side.

For my theater i wanted to add some 2 more speakers in the back and 2 hanging in the middle on either side of the wall....what line would you recommend br, bx, rs, rx?

Are there any that wouldn't go well with BR line that i've had? Or should i just leave those in the LR and get a whole new line?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Also...i will be adding a SVS PB12-NSD sub
post #8308 of 10282 Old 03-10-2012, 07:21 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post

I have not had the chance to listen to the GX200 / GX100 or GXC150 unfortunately. I am either going to do the GX200 or GX300 for the rear speakers. I am interested in hearing them. I am interested in possibly getting the GX100 or GX50 with a GXC150 center for the computer, but I probably will not do that and stay with my RX1. I will say the GX50 with a JL sub sounded amazing when I demo'd it. I currently pair my RX1 with a Velodyne HGS-10. My GX300 / GXC350 combo has a big Velodyne F-1800R paired with it.

Thanks for replying. I am going to have to listen to the gx300/gxc350, and make up my mind. In the meantime, I'll keep playing with my sub (SVS SB12) placement / crossover, to see if I can reach a better compromise at the lower end of the spectrum.
post #8309 of 10282 Old 03-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaDelGato View Post

Thanks for replying. I am going to have to listen to the gx300/gxc350, and make up my mind. In the meantime, I'll keep playing with my sub (SVS SB12) placement / crossover, to see if I can reach a better compromise at the lower end of the spectrum.

No problem. One thing to remember is that both the GX200 & GX300 towers and the GXC350 have the same midrange and tweeter. All that differs is woofer size and the crossover points. Not sure how much that would change the sound between the towers. Sure sounds like fun to find out!

BTW, there is alot of the "Platinum" sound in the GX300 and I suspect the other speakers in the Gold GX lineup.
post #8310 of 10282 Old 03-12-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnelltech View Post

Same happened to me, and after almost a year I'm still amazed with so many details I'm finding in those songs. I have the same speakers as you in my HT set, and BX5's in my stereo set.

For the movies, my best example (or the one that shocked me the most) is at the end of scene 29 in Matrix, when Trinity walks into the frame, coming from the right. I remember the sound of her shoes giving me the hint that she was coming, when I had my old speakers. But when I watched the movie with the BX's, I felt like someone was actually walking in my living room.

The downside is that these speakers bring up so much detail and dynamics in good recordings, that I can now tell them apart from the bad recordings - and some of my favorite albums are among this second group (coming to mind: Live's "The Distance To Here" and RHCP's "One Hot Minute").

Enjoy your speakers!

VMat

VMat
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page