7Likes

post #811 of 10294 Old 01-31-2007, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post

There is one absolute in speakers. Pick any speaker, at any price point, and there are some that will love it and some that will hate it. One persons detailed is another persons bright. One persons warmth and musicality is another persons veiled.

Some of the characteristics you have described would be pluses in some peoples opinions.

Kor,

Redskin hit it on the nail with his remarks.

I am one of the few in this thread who is not in love with his RS6 but still have it for lack of money to upgrade. Some others have actually sold their RS6.

Like you put it, the Totem is another $500, in the end you get what you pay for.

For another $1000 per pair, take a look at Triangle Antal Esw's, that's where my money would go and bye bye RS6 eventually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 10294 Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM
k99

If you don't love MA speakers...GET OUT!!!!

Just kidding Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. A set of speakers that sound "perfect" to me may sound like crap to someone else. Many people say MA speakers are "too bright" "too forward sounding" but to me my GS10's are leaps and bounds above many other speakers out there. PERFECT to my ears

Cheers!

-k99

p.s. Finally got my piano black GS10's!! As I mentioned above, I couldn't be happier! I'll post up some pics soon
post #813 of 10294 Old 02-02-2007, 09:14 AM

I am planning on buying MA based HT (5.1) RS6, LCR, FX. I am pretty much set on my speaker choice after I auditioned the Silver series.

However, I am not sure what receiver I should buy. My choices are Pioneer Elite 82, Pioneer Elite 84, Denon 3806 and the Marantz 7001.

I am aware that all these receivers are great in their own regard but I am specifically looking for feedback from Monitor Audio RS6 perspective.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

GG
post #814 of 10294 Old 02-02-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just wrote this review after going to a friend's home
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...?topic=43565.0

He had:

- Marantz SR 8001, with an Atoll 100w power amp for the front.
- Cambridge Audio CD player
- Oppo 981 DVD player played through the HDMI to the amp
- lots of v impressive cabling - help me here, bros, can't remember the wires' brands!
- Sharp 37" TV
- MS sub
- Monitor Audio RS series setup, RS 6 fronts, LCR centre and RS1 mounted on walls at the side.

We went through a series of DVDS, music and used his system in stereo and multi-channel.

Short notes:

SR 8001:
well built, simple operation, well designed, decent and ergonomic remote
pure direct mode; video off mode; bi-amp capability
toroidal transformer, copper chasis, gold plated connectors

Monitor Audio Rs series:
Too many magazine reviews on these already but most of the good points are true
well built, smart looking design features, plinth included, two ports, one front and one back. Can be biwired.

Sound:
The treble is sweet in this combination, especially with the CA CD player. The soundstage is slight behind the speakers, with decent depth and 3D dimension. Bass is rhythmic but the speakers need space, and would not be at their best within 1m of walls. The boundary reinforcement is too strong if they get too close to walls, so flat dwellers beware.
With music, there is a certain air to the sound, with a delicacy that can border on aggression if the recording is already bright. This is the part it gives in to the GS tweeter (the RS tweeter is derived from the GR one)
A full-bodied experience envelops you, if the speakers are toed in slightly, with a seperation angle from the listener of about 45 degree in HT. place them too wide and there will be a gap in the soundstage.
Compared to the more prominent bass and expressive treble the mid can be slightly recessed, so partner them well, and avoid steely amps or excessively bright sources, cables and amps.

In the right system, vocals are smooth and the mid will feature just as well as the lows and highs.

Movies:
The SR 8001, Oppo and MA RS make a good team, with good steering, bass thump and excitement. The MS sub was a little slow and a better sub would have been more suitable. But even with the RS 6 alone, the RS6 underpinned the bass with great gusto. Fear of disturbing the neighbours prevented us from exploiting the system further.

Quieter scences were also well handled and the centre held the voices onto the screen well. Voices and effects were well seperated.

A point is the excellant Audessey calibration which did a fine job of making the whole sum of speakers better than you would expect. Even when the placement of speakers was not ideal (eg the centre was 2 feet above the main speakers) the calibration enabled voices to emerge from the middle of the screen. Well done.

Final thoughts:
As a 50/50 mix system, this is a hard to beat trio. Of course the nice cables played a role, and the power amp added an extra dimension and oopphm. But in a typical modest size dwelling, it was very impressive.

An amp which will not embarass itself in stereo, but can be upgraded and sound better with good powe amps
Good setup calibration
Enough power for most local dwellings.
Good movie steering.

Speakers:
Sweet tweeter with good extension and air.
RS6 can overpower a modest size room.
Placement is crucial to avoid bass bloom. Don't place too close to walls.
Good for both movies and music.
Pairs well with the SR 8001.
Good integration between the fronts, centre and rears.
Using a better amp can bring out more from the RS6. Will not embarass itself with better partners.

My gear & my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #815 of 10294 Old 02-02-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just a follow up to the review...
My dilema now, is the RS are great, but I figure the Gs series will be better, both for HT and music. But which GS for the fronts is the question, GS10 for pinpoint imaging, LCR for uniform soundstage and more bass, or the GS 20 for a deeper and fuller sound???

My gear & my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #816 of 10294 Old 02-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Just wrote this review after going to a friend's home
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...?topic=43565.0

He had:

- Marantz SR 8001, with an Atoll 100w power amp for the front.
- Cambridge Audio CD player
- Oppo 981 DVD player played through the HDMI to the amp
- lots of v impressive cabling - help me here, bros, can't remember the wires' brands!
- Sharp 37" TV
- MS sub
- Monitor Audio RS series setup, RS 6 fronts, LCR centre and RS1 mounted on walls at the side.

This sounds very similar to my system. I have the Oppo 971 and listen to music mostly through Sonos but I have the same receiver and speakers. So far I've been very happy.
post #817 of 10294 Old 02-02-2007, 09:03 PM

Can anyone give me some feedback on the Monitor Audio Radius 720?
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...eries/r720.htm
post #818 of 10294 Old 02-02-2007, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post

Can anyone give me some feedback on the Monitor Audio Radius 720?
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...eries/r720.htm

I purchased the 720 sub a few months ago for my second HT room (actually a dedicated video gaming room). I'm very happy with it. I originally purchased the 360 sub, but it just didn't have very good low frequency extension. I have a Velodyne SMS-1 connected to the 720 sub which allows me to see the frequency response and the 720 is flat from 180 Hz to 25 Hz, somewhat rapidly rolling off from there down to 20 Hz.

Just for fun, I put the 720 sub up against the sub in my hi-end HT room (a Velodyne DD-15) and honestly I was never disappointed in the bass coming from the significantly smaller and less expensive 720. Sure it doesn't have the headroom or slam of the DD-15, and isn't quite as tight as the DD-15, but it was closer in quality than I expected. If I didn't have the two side by side to compare, I would be completely satisfied with the 720 at most normal volume levels. Just don't expect it to fill a 3000 cubic foot room at high volumes.

- Tim

post #819 of 10294 Old 02-03-2007, 07:11 PM

hifisponge: Thanks for the feedback. Rackin' my brains trying to decide wether I should get the 720 in order to keep the speakers within the same line to compliment my Radius 250's (L/C/R) and Radius 90's (rear). The dual 8's is appealing to me but then again, I have looked at some Velodynes and Klipsch with a 10 or 12 inch woofer that are also appealing. Got any thoughts on which auv I should also consider?
post #820 of 10294 Old 02-06-2007, 01:41 AM

Well, I finally made my purchase!

2x R180s for the L and R, an R225 for the Center, and 2 Radius series In-Walls for the surround channel. I rounded the system off with an RS-W12 and a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TSXi Receiver!

I've already got the receiver, sub, and center channel, the Fronts and surrounds should be here in a couple of days. Just for fun I hooked the RS-W12 up to my old system while I wait (old denon 2x receiver with Def Tech bookshelf speakers) and the difference is astounding.

Also, mad props to Monitor Audio for the quality of the speaker packaging

I'll send more pictures when I get the system fully installed.
post #821 of 10294 Old 02-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Kor

Regarding my previous comments:

The speakers were set up pretty much ideally in a dealer listening room. The source was a simaudio/moon system that looked pretty expensive to me but I didn't look at the details because its far out of my budget. We switched it to a Cayin pre/amp combo later which sounded worse but neither source really changed the overall sound of the RS6's.

I can see how some people might like the bass and high treble to be the more dominating sound while the mids are more veiled I guess - I agree its subjective. In a small jazz ensemble, if you want to hear drummer first with clarity and detail, then the warm clear bass, then the brass or piano kind of in the background, then these are for you. I like the brass or piano up front, with the bass in behind and then the drum and cymbals kind of farthest away.

I will say that they still had some of the best quality construction for the money and were very clear. Of course I have only been demoing quality stuff

If you were omitting a subwoofer from your system then these might have special appeal since the bass was pretty surprising, and clear, as I already mentioned.

Overall its a good review just not for me and not the "silver bullet" that a lot of people claim these speakers are (thats why I was disappointed). I guess I expected a $1000 speaker to rival a $2000 speaker (like the totem sttaf) and was let down... but compared to other speakers at the same price they do better!
post #822 of 10294 Old 02-06-2007, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post

hifisponge: Thanks for the feedback. Rackin' my brains trying to decide wether I should get the 720 in order to keep the speakers within the same line to compliment my Radius 250's (L/C/R) and Radius 90's (rear). The dual 8's is appealing to me but then again, I have looked at some Velodynes and Klipsch with a 10 or 12 inch woofer that are also appealing. Got any thoughts on which auv I should also consider?

I really wanted the system to match, but I started looking at other options when the 360 didn't live up to my expectations. I had to ask the salesman to bring a demo 720 out of the backroom to even listen to it. I'm sure that the Velo would be a good alternative, but I am very happy with the 720. You could also go for the Monitor Audio RSW 12. Good luck on your decision.

- Tim

post #823 of 10294 Old 02-06-2007, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kor View Post

Overall its a good review just not for me and not the "silver bullet" that a lot of people claim these speakers are (thats why I was disappointed). I guess I expected a $1000 speaker to rival a $2000 speaker (like the totem sttaf) and was let down... but compared to other speakers at the same price they do better!

I think alot of people had ridiculous expectations of the Silver RS because of the Stereophile review saying its the most satisying speaker under 20K or something along those lines. They are great speakers and among the best in the price range, but its not the end all. In fact I think the GS10s are superior, and yet little to no press about those at all.

It sounds to me like you are a music lover so I think you are going to appreciate something thats a little less aggressive. Totems, Dynaudios, Dali, etc.

Or you could always triple your budget and get the GS20s.

Now those are "gold bullets".
post #824 of 10294 Old 02-07-2007, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am a new member and have enjoyed reading the entire thread.

I am looking at purchasing my first HT and have the following recommendation from one dealer: GS20 Left and Right; GSLCR; GSFX Surround & Rears; and GSW12. I have a couple of questions I would like to hear opinions on:

1) I have not read anyone state that the GSFX are great or "WOW!". They seem extremely expensive (CDN$995 each) not to be getting much ink. Any thoughts if these speakers are worth it.

2) I am concerned I will not be getting my monies worth out of these speakers with the recommended amps - either NAD T773 or Integra DTR7.7. Any comments.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Darryl
post #825 of 10294 Old 02-08-2007, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaHomeTheatre View Post

1) I have not read anyone state that the GSFX are great or "WOW!". They seem extremely expensive (CDN$995 each) not to be getting much ink. Any thoughts if these speakers are worth it.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Darryl

Hi Darryl,

I think one of the reasons you don't see the GSFX so much, is that they are pretty expensive for surround speakers. I have the GRFX, and am not sure what changes have been made with the newer line, but I can tell you, they are well worth it. I am a big believer in bipole/dipole surrounds, and have owned some good ones over the years. These are by far the best. I highly recommend them.

Greg
post #826 of 10294 Old 02-08-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

I think the GS10s are superior, and yet little to no press about those at all. ...

FWIW, a strong second to that. The GS10s were significantly superior IMHO,
when blind tested against the Silver 6s. I was surprised at the significance
of the difference between those two particular models.

Now, both models beat the competition by quite a margin
as far as I'm concerned, but the Golds are just much better
speakers than the Silvers.

But then, at 3x the price, they oughta' be.
post #827 of 10294 Old 02-09-2007, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post

Hi Darryl,

I think one of the reasons you don't see the GSFX so much, is that they are pretty expensive for surround speakers. I have the GRFX, and am not sure what changes have been made with the newer line, but I can tell you, they are well worth it. I am a big believer in bipole/dipole surrounds, and have owned some good ones over the years. These are by far the best. I highly recommend them.

Greg

Thanks for the reply Greg,
When you say "These are by far the best", were you referringto the GRFX or the GSFX. The GRFX are $1500 a pair wear I live (savings of $500 over GSFX). I was wondering if the GRFX would be more than adequate (maybe even the bronze). My room size is quite small at 17 x 12. Will the GRFX be a good match with the GS20s in the front or should I spend the extra and get golds all around? Maybe the entire gold series is overkill in this small room and I would be well served by silvers. They both sound great in the dealers room.

Thanks
Darryl
post #828 of 10294 Old 02-10-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I have not tried the GSFX. I was referring to other di/bi-pole surrounds I have had in my house. M&k, Polk LSI, Cambridge Soundworks, all of which have gotten amazing reviews as surrounds. The GRFX bests them all. From what I have read here, there is not a huge difference between the Gold GR vs.GS, so for surrounds, the differences are probably not worth the extra money. Hopefully someone that has heard both will chime in.

Greg
post #829 of 10294 Old 02-10-2007, 11:13 AM

Hey experts..

Im quite close to get a complete MA set from a nearby 'well-known' dealer , originally motivated by the incredible reviews and impressions given to these Silver RS 6 fronts together with its whole perfectly matched compatibles (RS 1 rears and RSLCR ) .

Finally I'm being stopped suddenly by the much more mass reputation given to those GS 10's over the RS 6's , and my last decisive question would be :

Would the perfromance improvement range carried by those golds justify its 1.5 fold increase in price over thy silvers ??

What's gonna be paid in these golds , could gimme the greater flexible opportunity of getting the silver fronts as well as its added center.

Is this stated detected significant pronounced difference well justified , keeping in mind the lesser on-paper specifications of these golds GS10's ?!!

Worth ?

I shall be telling this with a sigh..
Somewhere ages and ages hence..
Two roads diverged in a wood and I..
I took the one less-travelled by..
And that has made all the difference..
post #830 of 10294 Old 02-10-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayter View Post

Hey experts..

Im quite close to get a complete MA set from a nearby 'well-known' dealer , originally motivated by the incredible reviews and impressions given to these Silver RS 6 fronts together with its whole perfectly matched compatibles (RS 1 rears and RSLCR ) .

Finally I'm being stopped suddenly by the much more mass reputation given to those GS 10's over the RS 6's , and my last decisive question would be :

Would the perfromance improvement range carried by those golds justify its 1.5 fold increase in price over thy silvers ??

What's gonna be paid in these golds , could gimme the greater flexible opportunity of getting the silver fronts as well as its added center.

Is this stated detected significant pronounced difference well justified , keeping in mind the lesser on-paper specifications of these golds GS10's ?!!

Worth ?

Hope you can find a way to audition both the Silvers and the Golds.
I don't know how the Golds respond to all the various electronics, but with
high-end gear, the difference is not subtle -- the Golds just whoop a__ on the Silvers.
Again ... shouldn't they though, at 3x the price?

I urge you to read the article titled: "A Note About Loudspeakers" at this URL:
http://theaudiocritic.com/blog/

I've been round and round, and I've found that old guy's remarks to
be absolutely dead-on. Spend the coin on the best speakers
you can possibly afford. All the other considerations pale.
post #831 of 10294 Old 02-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:

Hey experts..

Worth ?

Much depends on your electronics, room and listening habits. I agree that it is preferable to buy the best speakers you can afford but this should be in the context of your entire system. All of the MA speakers sound good. I have had both the Silver and Gold series and the Gold's are better sounding speakers but to really notice this difference, you need good electronics and proper setup.

Also, if your main use is HT do you have a subwoofer? The GS 10's will output less bass than the RS6's but if you have a capable sub it is not an issue.

For me, AV is a hobby and if you are a hobbyist, you will be upgrading/changing components. My simple advice is to buy what you like and can afford with the idea that you may want more later. Most of us do.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #832 of 10294 Old 02-11-2007, 11:36 AM

Thanks for your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I have had both the Silver and Gold series and the Gold's are better sounding speakers but to really notice this difference, you need good electronics and proper setup.

Hmm, so what do you mean by 'good electronics' ? Are you pointing at separates preamp processors and dedicated power amplifiers ?

If so , I've heard many over here saying it's a noticeable effective difference even at middle-ranged feeding equipment , so it's still a puzzle.

I'm leaning towards thy Silvers , not for thy 'ridiculous expressions' being used pricelessly here and there by many reviewers , but also for its much lower price tag.

I do own a Yammie's 2500 , if that really matters to your final suggestions and assumptions.

Grateful.

post #833 of 10294 Old 02-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Señor Member

Quote:

Thanks for your replies!

Hmm, so what do you mean by 'good electronics' ? Are you pointing at separates preamp processors and dedicated power amplifiers ?

If so , I've heard many over here saying it's a noticeable effective difference even at middle-ranged feeding equipment , so it's still a puzzle.

I'm leaning towards thy Silvers , not for thy 'ridiculous expressions' being used pricelessly here and there by many reviewers , but also for its much lower price tag.

I do own a Yammie's 2500 , if that really matters to your final suggestions and assumptions.

Grateful.

IMO, the MA Silvers are great sounding speakers. I am refering to power that is comensurate with your space and listening habits. I had a Denon 120 WPC AVR powering my MA Silver (S8's S6's and SLCR) and various subwoofers (too many to mention ). That system was fine at moderate listening levels in my huge room (8000 CF +) but became noticably strained at the reference level listening I enjoy in my HT. When I added a power amp to the AVR, I gained more headroom and the system sounded better at louder levels. When I upgraded the Silver's to the Gold's I added a SSP and an even more powerful amp ... and so it goes. You may be very content with the Silvers and your Yammy 2500. Only you will know.

post #834 of 10294 Old 02-14-2007, 07:38 PM

Is there a noticeable difference when the GR60's are bi-wired?
post #835 of 10294 Old 02-14-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

Unfortunately not true, biwiring AND biamping require the jumpers to be removed.

Is there a noticeable difference when the GR 60's are bi-wired? I am planning to buy an audioquest bi-wire very soon.
post #836 of 10294 Old 02-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zejer View Post

Is there a noticeable difference when the GR 60's are bi-wired? I am planning to buy an audioquest bi-wire very soon.

I have my GR 60's bi-wired as my Sunfire amp has dual speaker outs (Voltage and Current) from the LCR channels. I noticed little if any difference after bi-wiring.

post #837 of 10294 Old 02-15-2007, 12:59 AM

is this combination good?
gs10 for front speakers and RSLCR for the center?

Is the gold center much better then the silver one?
If i use it mostly for movies, is the gs10 really worth it over the RS6?

no one talks here about their subwoofers? how do they compare to a svs sb12+ or a supercube?
post #838 of 10294 Old 02-15-2007, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zejer View Post

If there are benefits to bi-wiring, I can't hear them.
I've never heard any difference, having bi-wired three different
sets of gear: from Hafler to MA Bronze B2s,
from NAD middle of the line to MA Bronze B4s, and
from Arcam P1s to GS 10s.
I don't bother with bi-wiring anymore.
A number of folks on an Arcam owners forum ( different site )
have said the same regarding bi-wiring -- no perceivable gain.
However, all of them say that they *do* hear a real difference
by *bi-amping*.
post #839 of 10294 Old 02-15-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

IMO, the MA Silvers are great sounding speakers. I am refering to power that is comensurate with your space and listening habits. I had a Denon 120 WPC AVR powering my MA Silver (S8's S6's and SLCR) and various subwoofers (too many to mention ). That system was fine at moderate listening levels in my huge room (8000 CF +) but became noticably strained at the reference level listening I enjoy in my HT. When I added a power amp to the AVR, I gained more headroom and the system sounded better at louder levels. When I upgraded the Silver's to the Gold's I added a SSP and an even more powerful amp ... and so it goes. You may be very content with the Silvers and your Yammy 2500. Only you will know.

So , Haven't you detected any sonic differences between both lines with moderate range processing/powering gear ?

Degrees of smoothness , warmth , richness and fullness..
Levels of openness , imaging , soundstaging and steering..
Whatever..

post #840 of 10294 Old 02-15-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zejer View Post

I own a pair of GR60s and there's no difference at all. Nevertheless, with a pair of amplifiers and an electronic crossover the GR60s can be bi-amped.

The possibilities of hearing differences with active bi-amping are higher and real!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page