Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaffy View Post

I'm just sort of curious how it works without ports. Is it because the 2 drivers are midrange? There's tech/science involved that makes it better without a port or two? I'm not doubting the speaker, just wondering how it does what it does. The answer is probably SCIENCE! but I'm genuinely curious as to how it works.

Did some measurements and stuff: no way it goes on top of my TV. The plastic around the TV would end up bending over time since it's quite weak. On the other hand if it sits slightly below the screen it's not that far away from the midrange/bass driver (basically what HAMP568 was talking about) of the 6's and it'd be easier to angle it UP instead of trying to not have it fall off the TV and kill my cat.

Darn it!!! If I knew that would happen to the cat, then I wouldn't have suggested to place below the screen... Just kiddin!!!

You stated having the midrange/bass driver lined up, that's fine, but the audio trick is having the tweeters lined.

An example, you know when you are listening to two channel music, and if you sit in front of your left and right speakers and close your eyes(or even keep them open). If your speakers have a nice sound stage, you will swear that there is a third speaker/center channel in the center of the left and right playing just as loud as the right and left.(I call that a simple explanation)

All I'm suggesting is, don't mess up that really nice soundstage that the MA's can produce when watching a movie. Get those tweeters lined up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post

All I'm suggesting is, don't mess up that really nice soundstage that the MA's can produce when watching a movie. Get those tweeters lined up.

Yeah, see that can't happen with me because it's physically impossible. I mean I'd love to, and in a perfect world I would, but because of my television (currently) it can't be done.

It sucks but there's not much I can do about it. I suppose a L to R or R to L panning wouldn't be that terrible because at least it's a matching speaker that has the same size drivers.

Of course there's also the problem with the centre being 7" in front of the mains (again, because it's a CRT RPTV) but I'm sure it's not a huge deal. Makes me wonder what people did before LCD's and plasma's.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 AM

Liked: 13
I use to have a Sony 40 inch XBR TV. Polk Audio CS350 Center channel speaker sat on top of it back in the day as well as a Sony 32 inch before that TV, etc. I'm glad I have something that puts a center channel speaker shelf under the TV/
Old 04-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaffy View Post

Yeah, see that can't happen with me because it's physically impossible. I mean I'd love to, and in a perfect world I would, but because of my television (currently) it can't be done.

It sucks but there's not much I can do about it. I suppose a L to R or R to L panning wouldn't be that terrible because at least it's a matching speaker that has the same size drivers.

Of course there's also the problem with the centre being 7" in front of the mains (again, because it's a CRT RPTV) but I'm sure it's not a huge deal. Makes me wonder what people did before LCD's and plasma's.

I use to have a DLP too, and I had my center channel on top. It was like that before someone explained to me with lining up the tweeters. Just as long as it's not more then a foot apart, and it should work.

Here is an idea for the top, You can build a shelf behind the TV with it long enough to reach the TV and then place your center channel on top.

I'll try and find a picture, so you can see what I mean, I will update this post or make another post with the pic or a link to the pic
Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 AM

Liked: 10
how do the W380-LCR inwall speakers compare to the CP Gold inwall speakers?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4nash View Post

how do the W380-LCR inwall speakers compare to the CP Gold inwall speakers?

I wonder pretty much the same thing. I am looking to add two more channels to my room, from the 7.1 to 9.1, and I was wondering which of these should I use for the heights.

I've been looking at the

CP Silver inwall
W380-LCR
W280-LCR
W180-LCR

The webpage isn't updated with the new line of these. In the description, They mention the GS and RS line to timbre match. I do know they have newer models, I had a brochure and I misplaced it.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

Cool, another person who is using the monitor and sub combo. I really didn't know how large the subs were when I ordered them, and then they came, I was thinking 'Oh, Boy, where in the hell am I'm going to put these things'.

I had bought them between leaving my apartment and looking for a new house, and it seems I lucked up with the house I bought.

My RX2's are close to the wall, and I have the back port closed. I seriously doubt I am missing any bass that way. I love the depth from the mid range from the center and RX2's upfront. One example is from any of the Transformers movies, when Optimus speaks.

I wouldn't worry about wanting to upgrade anytime too soon, I'm the opposite of you, I hope mine never gets old, I LOVE EM!!!!

In order for me to upgrade, I would have to go up more than a couple levels, and I don't want to.

Honestly, as much as I love the RX2's, I'm just as proud of the RXFX's for my surrounds. They are incredible, and the reviews are correct when they mention timbre matching all the way around.

Which AVR are you using with your Monitor Audio?

Those subs certainly take up quite a lot of room, but I bet the sound is worth it. My next upgrade may well be the subs, I've had my eye on those sealed Rythmik subs for a long time.

My RX-2s are close to the wall as well, but I haven't noticed much difference between where they are and moving them out a bit. I haven't tried the port plugs, but I may just to see. The midrange quality is definitely what first drew me into the sound with Monitor Audio, and it's funny you mention the Transformer movies: when I went to audition the RX-6s, the newest one is what they used to demo them for HT. The way they resolved everything, especially when there was so much going on in the scene really did it for me. Most speakers just turn those big loud action scenes into mush.

No, I agree, actually. I hope mine never get old either. I'm tired of the always thinking something better might be out there treadmill that I was on. Very pleased with these, even just looking at them. I haven't been able to bring myself to put the grilles on yet! And I'm with you on upgrading too, I think I'd have to spend $2-3k+ just on speakers before I'd notice much difference, if any and I'm not looking to spend that.

I'm running mine with an HK-3490, which is only stereo, but then I'm only running 2-channel anyway. I have an older HK AVR254 if I get the itch for surround, but I'd probably sell that and get something else if I go down that path, only because it's older and lacks some newer features. I have an Emotiva UPA-2 stashed away as well, but so far haven't felt the need for the extra power. It's only rated at a few more watts than the HK is, and I'm not lacking for volume or headroom as far as I can tell.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweElite View Post

Hi guys,

Anyone know if there's some foam plugs for the bass ports on the PL300 ?

I cannot answer this, but I would like to know if any RX8's or RX6 oweners are using the foam port bungs LOL, I love that name! Are these for if they are close to the back wall? Any sound change?

Quote:

I wonder pretty much the same thing.
CP Silver inwall
W380-LCR
W280-LCR
W180-LCR

One website said that these are discontinued?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I just pulled out my old Monitor Audio 4i speakers for my home office and connected them to my Sonos ZP90 with my Marantz MA700 mono blocks. I am very pleasantly surprised. These speakers still sound great!

After spending so much time with my GR20's, GR10's, PL100's, and PL300's I was not expecting them to sound this good!!

I had been using them as surrounds until I replaced them with some GR10's. They then went in the dinning room connected to my old Onkyo. I never expected them to sound this good in the office.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 AM

Wanted. GS10 in Walnut
Old 04-08-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Be forewarned about the GS60s in black that were just listed on Audiogon for $2199. That owner just bought them off of EBay last week for about $1400 and is trying to turn a nice profit. OK, he's free to try that. But the text in the ad is an exact copy of the EBay ad. And I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't even received them yet!

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokbyter View Post

Those subs certainly take up quite a lot of room, but I bet the sound is worth it. My next upgrade may well be the subs, I've had my eye on those sealed Rythmik subs for a long time.

My RX-2s are close to the wall as well, but I haven't noticed much difference between where they are and moving them out a bit. I haven't tried the port plugs, but I may just to see. The midrange quality is definitely what first drew me into the sound with Monitor Audio, and it's funny you mention the Transformer movies: when I went to audition the RX-6s, the newest one is what they used to demo them for HT. The way they resolved everything, especially when there was so much going on in the scene really did it for me. Most speakers just turn those big loud action scenes into mush.

No, I agree, actually. I hope mine never get old either. I'm tired of the always thinking something better might be out there treadmill that I was on. Very pleased with these, even just looking at them. I haven't been able to bring myself to put the grilles on yet! And I'm with you on upgrading too, I think I'd have to spend $2-3k+ just on speakers before I'd notice much difference, if any and I'm not looking to spend that.

I'm running mine with an HK-3490, which is only stereo, but then I'm only running 2-channel anyway. I have an older HK AVR254 if I get the itch for surround, but I'd probably sell that and get something else if I go down that path, only because it's older and lacks some newer features. I have an Emotiva UPA-2 stashed away as well, but so far haven't felt the need for the extra power. It's only rated at a few more watts than the HK is, and I'm not lacking for volume or headroom as far as I can tell.

i had to go back and read something to make sure, and you are running a 2channel? I would get the center channel before I upgrade your subs. The RX center is pretty amazing for it's size.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

i had to go back and read something to make sure, and you are running a 2channel? I would get the center channel before I upgrade your subs. The RX center is pretty amazing for it's size.

I agree, the addition of the RX center made a great difference. I thought the older Paradigm center was working well until I put the RX center in place. Better timber match and clarity was immediately obvious to both my wife and me. There are many good subs available, most are lower cost than the M/A subs for the same or better quality (or so "they" say). No doubt they are more expensive.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Liked: 17
Hi guys,

Anyone compared the Paradigm Studio range to the GX range? I own the Studio 100's with the CC590 center. But I'm moving soon and I need to downscale as I am moving to a smaller space. However if I'm going to go smaller there is one aspect of the system that I need improved on: dialog clarity. It's not that great on the CC590 center (apparently it's the design, not the room).

I was thinking of going GX100's with the dipole configuration. But instead of using the typical center found in the range I was thinking of perhaps using an identical GX100 for the LCR. Perfect panning for the front stage. I'm also looking at the XTZ range, also with ribbon tweeters (in fact, the very same ribbon as used in the GX and Platinum range).

Am I making a mistake going to the GX range? I assume the ribbon tweeter is able to resolve tons of detail in move soundtracks? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Hi guys,

Anyone compared the Paradigm Studio range to the GX range? I own the Studio 100's with the CC590 center. But I'm moving soon and I need to downscale as I am moving to a smaller space. However if I'm going to go smaller there is one aspect of the system that I need improved on: dialog clarity. It's not that great on the CC590 center (apparently it's the design, not the room).

I was thinking of going GX100's with the dipole configuration. But instead of using the typical center found in the range I was thinking of perhaps using an identical GX100 for the LCR. Perfect panning for the front stage. I'm also looking at the XTZ range, also with ribbon tweeters (in fact, the very same ribbon as used in the GX and Platinum range).

Am I making a mistake going to the GX range? I assume the ribbon tweeter is able to resolve tons of detail in move soundtracks? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I did not know about these XTZ speakers. They look nice. Are they distributed anywhere in the USA?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM

Gary, I have no idea. They do look nice. These speakers (99.25/26/36) use Seas Excel mid-range/bass drivers with Fountek ribbon tweeters, so although they seem budget priced, the components being used are very high-end. I've never heard them in person and to be frank I never even heard of the brand until yesterday.

Only problem is that I can't audition them. It's only sold online. It would have to be a blind buy, which is risky. There is a UK distributor (Audiosanctum, I think).
Old 04-09-2012, 02:41 PM

Has anyone bought 3 GX100's for LCR's? Can you even buy a single GX100 or is it only sold in a pair?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:10 AM

Anyone?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Correct, I'm just running a 2-channel setup. I'd have to go back to my old AVR or get a new one for multi-channel, and in my room I suppose it's possible but it would be a tight fit (mainly the surrounds).

That is good to hear about the RX Center though, because it does look small in the pictures I've seen and I've wondered how it performed. You may just completely derail my plans! haha!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I use to have a DLP too, and I had my center channel on top. It was like that before someone explained to me with lining up the tweeters. Just as long as it's not more then a foot apart, and it should work.

Here is an idea for the top, You can build a shelf behind the TV with it long enough to reach the TV and then place your center channel on top.

I'll try and find a picture, so you can see what I mean, I will update this post or make another post with the pic or a link to the pic

When I had a similar problem (and a CRT TV too) I made this shelf with aluminum feet to put the speaker under it. It may give you an idea.

(for those wondering: I recently had to move the speaker up to add that amp until the new cabinet is ready - i.e., in about two weeks)

VMat
LL

VMat
Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 AM

Liked: 16
Also... if you go with the temporary speaker solution, remember not to place a non-shielded speaker close to a CRT.

VMat

VMat
Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 PM

hi think to buy all pl series just for home theater is it ok for home theater?

http://www.whathifi.com/review/monitor-audio-pl300-av

or go for bw nautılus 802,center htm 1 surround 805 nautılus subwoofer pb 1 which set better for home theater?
Old 04-14-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barasn View Post

hi think to buy all pl series just for home theater is it ok for home theater?

http://www.whathifi.com/review/monitor-audio-pl300-av

or go for bw naut?lus 802,center htm 1 surround 805 naut?lus subwoofer pb 1 which set better for home theater?

Honestly, if you have the money and suitable source / amplification, you are going to be VERY happy with either of those choices
Old 04-15-2012, 10:23 AM

any ideas
Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The sonic signature will be very different, so audition..
And make sure your amps and source are also up to the mark.l
Old 04-18-2012, 02:38 PM

bw eliminated

need help for home theater

Pl 300 set vs Dali Euponia MS5 Set

which set better ht and stereo the amp will be krell

really need help i will buy in 2 days
Old 04-18-2012, 04:44 PM

and last question is think to make mix system like

Front : dali ms 5
center: MA Plc 350
Surround: pl 100 Ma

what u think about mix system?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:

and last question is think to make mix system like

Front : dali ms 5
center: MA Plc 350
Surround: pl 100 Ma

what u think about mix system?

I think you will find a lot of recommendations that the front and L/R should be of the same timber. This is easiest done from the same manufacturing and model line. For myself the addition of the RX center to the RX6's was the completion of the system.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 PM

anyone help?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

anyone help?

I agree with Jim-I wouldn't mix and match your front three. Surrounds would probably be OK.

My girlfriend works at Hooters…in the kitchen.

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba