Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2014, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AV Receiver: Yamaha RX-V675
Speakers: Monitor Audio Vector 5.1

I need some serious help here to get this setup. I ran YPAO as instructed, Crossover behind Subwoofer at 150Hz (max) and Level (volume) at halfway.

YPAO set my two fronts L/R to Large and Global Crossover at 160Hz.

I set my everything to Small, and made that Crossover to 80Hz.

The distances were about right, all (everything) Speakers were about 2.20-2.30m which is about right.

The levels it made Subwoofer +10.0dB, Centre -3.0dB, Front L/R -0.5dB, SL -3.0dB, SR -1.5dB.

Parametric EQ I set that to YPAO: Natural, I just took a random pick and went with it.

Everything else I left, there are various other options like Adaptive DSP Level, Tone Control, Adaptive DRC, Extended Surround, Dialogue Adjust, Enhancer - maybe some can advise me if I should use these?

Also, there is Scene - it was already set to 'Standard' there are other options like Sci-Fi, Drama, 7ch Stereo ect..

I then watched Lone Survivor, which is meant to have good surround effects and I watched that with my brother and a friend. It did make my floor shake, happy about that the Bass was great - from the Subwoofer.

But, this was me playing the film at -6.0dB, no I'm not deaf, maybe there is something wrong with my AVR. Around, 30 mins into the film, my mate sitting at the nearer sofa to the TV said he could smell like burning, so I paused the film and smelt and it did smell like burning like copper burning, I felt the top of my AVR and it wasn't hot, don't know where that was coming from.

We carried on watching and it went away, didn't smell it again.

Let me say, it could be my fault when I wired the Speakers I cut around 3cm of copper and twisted it, put it through the binding post hole and pulled it up a little bit of outer layer is between the binding post and the back bit, so I tighten it just about enough because of the outer layer it won't go all the way but there is enough copper in the binding post and I've did test tone and can hear everything ok.

Tomorrow, I will chop off the end and only cut 1cm, twist the copper strands put it in the drilled hole and tighten, no need to wrap it around I was advised now.

What I'm getting at here, is that I've owned a few all in one systems in the past, 2 good (from LG) and 1 terribly bad (from Sony) and the only positive I can take is that the bass from these separates are incredible in comparison. In regards to watching big films like Transformers, Spiderman ect.. the MA Vectors sound quite bass-less, it's as if they aren't doing enough, for such big boxes in comparison to other Speakers, I feel as if they should be doing much more. There isn't any umph in the sound.

Is -6.0dB really loud? I swear, maybe there is a problem with my AVR (I don't know how to check) but it's not that loud on my side.

I bought it from a friend of a friend, the Yamaha RX-V675 for £150 as his going back to California, he also bought 5 year supercare with it.

I'll wire the Speakers properly, check I've got the positive/negative right and take what ever advise given to me here.

Me and my folks won't be watching much in the next month or so, the weather is nice won't be cooped up at home watching films, but if I still can't get it to work properly in a couple of months I'll sell it bit by bit and grab an LG all in one and be sure to demo it before buying.

I really hope I can get it to work properly. Bass from the Subwoofer is great, just the Satellites don't seem to have enough bass during movies sound quite bright and tinny, -6.0dB seems quite high in my opinion maybe going to 0.0dB would be excessive I don't want to break anything but for that volume the sound isn't really there, the satellites should have more bass and sound less thin IMO.

I have a feeling some will say -5.0dB is too loud and can damage my Speakers/AVR, but watching a movie at anything lower IMO is just a waste of all this kit. Like, when my mate said he smelt burning and I smelt like burning copper too, I thought fck should I turn it down? I want to be listening at that level without any worries in my head that something will blow up lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNZi View Post
AV Receiver: Yamaha RX-V675
Speakers: Monitor Audio Vector 5.1

I need some serious help here to get this setup. I ran YPAO as instructed, Crossover behind Subwoofer at 150Hz (max) and Level (volume) at halfway.

YPAO set my two fronts L/R to Large and Global Crossover at 160Hz.

I set my everything to Small, and made that Crossover to 80Hz.

The distances were about right, all (everything) Speakers were about 2.20-2.30m which is about right.

The levels it made Subwoofer +10.0dB, Centre -3.0dB, Front L/R -0.5dB, SL -3.0dB, SR -1.5dB.

Parametric EQ I set that to YPAO: Natural, I just took a random pick and went with it.

Everything else I left, there are various other options like Adaptive DSP Level, Tone Control, Adaptive DRC, Extended Surround, Dialogue Adjust, Enhancer - maybe some can advise me if I should use these?

Also, there is Scene - it was already set to 'Standard' there are other options like Sci-Fi, Drama, 7ch Stereo ect..

I then watched Lone Survivor, which is meant to have good surround effects and I watched that with my brother and a friend. It did make my floor shake, happy about that the Bass was great - from the Subwoofer.

But, this was me playing the film at -6.0dB, no I'm not deaf, maybe there is something wrong with my AVR. Around, 30 mins into the film, my mate sitting at the nearer sofa to the TV said he could smell like burning, so I paused the film and smelt and it did smell like burning like copper burning, I felt the top of my AVR and it wasn't hot, don't know where that was coming from.

We carried on watching and it went away, didn't smell it again.

Let me say, it could be my fault when I wired the Speakers I cut around 3cm of copper and twisted it, put it through the binding post hole and pulled it up a little bit of outer layer is between the binding post and the back bit, so I tighten it just about enough because of the outer layer it won't go all the way but there is enough copper in the binding post and I've did test tone and can hear everything ok.

Tomorrow, I will chop off the end and only cut 1cm, twist the copper strands put it in the drilled hole and tighten, no need to wrap it around I was advised now.

What I'm getting at here, is that I've owned a few all in one systems in the past, 2 good (from LG) and 1 terribly bad (from Sony) and the only positive I can take is that the bass from these separates are incredible in comparison. In regards to watching big films like Transformers, Spiderman ect.. the MA Vectors sound quite bass-less, it's as if they aren't doing enough, for such big boxes in comparison to other Speakers, I feel as if they should be doing much more. There isn't any umph in the sound.

Is -6.0dB really loud? I swear, maybe there is a problem with my AVR (I don't know how to check) but it's not that loud on my side.

I bought it from a friend of a friend, the Yamaha RX-V675 for £150 as his going back to California, he also bought 5 year supercare with it.

I'll wire the Speakers properly, check I've got the positive/negative right and take what ever advise given to me here.

Me and my folks won't be watching much in the next month or so, the weather is nice won't be cooped up at home watching films, but if I still can't get it to work properly in a couple of months I'll sell it bit by bit and grab an LG all in one and be sure to demo it before buying.

I really hope I can get it to work properly. Bass from the Subwoofer is great, just the Satellites don't seem to have enough bass during movies sound quite bright and tinny, -6.0dB seems quite high in my opinion maybe going to 0.0dB would be excessive I don't want to break anything but for that volume the sound isn't really there, the satellites should have more bass and sound less thin IMO.

I have a feeling some will say -5.0dB is too loud and can damage my Speakers/AVR, but watching a movie at anything lower IMO is just a waste of all this kit. Like, when my mate said he smelt burning and I smelt like burning copper too, I thought fck should I turn it down? I want to be listening at that level without any worries in my head that something will blow up lol.

It probably sounds lean because your crossover is set at 80 and the speakers can't play that low. I'd put it back at 160hz. If you rerun ypao, turn up the volume on the sub itself and it should end up giving you a lower trim level than +10.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
It probably sounds lean because your crossover is set at 80 and the speakers can't play that low. I'd put it back at 160hz. If you rerun ypao, turn up the volume on the sub itself and it should end up giving you a lower trim level than +10.
Really? I'm not too sure here, but 160Hz sounds a little way off, from the website of Monitor Audio it says, the Speakers are Frequency of 65Hz-30KHz and Centre is 60Hz-30KHz.

Please advise, if 80Hz isn't correct, what should I go for? 100Hz maybe?
Old 06-13-2014, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello, I currently have a set of RX2 bookshelves which I enjoy very much. I have the opportunity to get a pair of GX100s at a good price. My listening is two channel music and I use a Marantz PM8004 integrated amp. I have not listened to the GX100s as of yet, but I wanted to get your opinion first if this would be a good upgrade, I have to drive 100 miles to listen to them. Thanks in advance for your opinion.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijinbu View Post
Hello, I currently have a set of RX2 bookshelves which I enjoy very much. I have the opportunity to get a pair of GX100s at a good price. My listening is two channel music and I use a Marantz PM8004 integrated amp. I have not listened to the GX100s as of yet, but I wanted to get your opinion first if this would be a good upgrade, I have to drive 100 miles to listen to them. Thanks in advance for your opinion.
I think they're definitely worth a listen, and I'd pack up my RX-2s to take with me for a direct comparison. It won't be your room, but you can least hear them side by side. I imagine it would be an upgrade since it's silver vs gold, but that doesn't mean you'll like it.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
Hi,

I'm considering two different setups:

1. Monitor Audio Radius 90 fronts, Radius 200 center, Radius 90 rear speakers. Probably also Monitor Audio Radius 380/390 subwoofer.
2. Monitor Audio Silver 1 fronts, Silver Center, Radius 90 rear speakers. No subwoofer, since I'm hoping the Silver 1 and Center might be sufficient. Don't need super low bass in my case.

Which of these setups do you think would be best, and why?

Also, the distance between the L/R front speakers will only be about 5 feet (and the listening distance is around 9-11 feet). So will the center speaker be of much benefit in that case? Or might I as well skip it and use a "phantom center" (i.e. center sound is handled by L/R front speakers instead)?

Please let me know what you think!
Can someone please comment on this? I'd really like to know your opinions and experiences before deciding which setup to go with.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

1. Monitor Audio Radius 90 fronts, Radius 200 center, Radius 90 rear speakers. Probably also Monitor Audio Radius 380/390 subwoofer.
2. Monitor Audio Silver 1 fronts, Silver Center, Radius 90 rear speakers. No subwoofer, since I'm hoping the Silver 1 and Center might be sufficient. Don't need super low bass in my case.

Also, the distance between the L/R front speakers will only be about 5 feet (and the listening distance is around 9-11 feet). So will the center speaker be of much benefit in that case? Or might I as well skip it and use a "phantom center" (i.e. center sound is handled by L/R front speakers instead)?

Can someone please comment on this? I'd really like to know your opinions and experiences before deciding which setup to go with.
I haven't heard either series. I do own the rx8s and center though...love'em. The silver line is, I think, two steps up from the radius and therefore is built with better components and materials. If it were me, I'd go with the silver. The radius should do fine as surrounds, but anything in the front stage should be silvers to match best (L,R,C,wides,heights). You'll probably want a sub eventually, I'd go with one of the ID (Internet direct) brands for the best performance and value. Look at hsu, svs, psa, etc..
Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.👍
Old 06-14-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Planning to post this message to the KEF, MA and Canton threads. Hate to spam the board but definitely interested in everyone's perspective.

I'm narrowing down my speaker search and Monitor Audio are on the short list. At roughly the same price, here are the MA and non-MA options I'm considering. Please rank them from best to worst, or give you opinions. I will be connecting them to a Yamaha rxv1075 and mostly listening to Vinyl. But also some CDs, movies and sports. Here's my shortlist:

Monitor Audio Silver 6
Canton GLE 490.2
Canton Karat 770DC
KEF Q900
Canton Chrono 509.2
Canton Ergo 607 DC
Monitor Audio Silver 8

For what it's worth, my wife prefers wood tone to shiny black/white, so all things being equal I'd lean that way. But, ultimately, my main consideration is sound....especially vinyl (everything from jazz to classical to old school funk to punk, metal and garage rock). I may want to add a centre channel later but for now going 2.0.

thanks.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keasley View Post
Planning to post this message to the KEF, MA and Canton threads. Hate to spam the board but definitely interested in everyone's perspective.

I'm narrowing down my speaker search and Monitor Audio are on the short list. At roughly the same price, here are the MA and non-MA options I'm considering. Please rank them from best to worst, or give you opinions. I will be connecting them to a Yamaha rxv1075 and mostly listening to Vinyl. But also some CDs, movies and sports. Here's my shortlist:

Monitor Audio Silver 6
Canton GLE 490.2
Canton Karat 770DC
KEF Q900
Canton Chrono 509.2
Canton Ergo 607 DC
Monitor Audio Silver 8

For what it's worth, my wife prefers wood tone to shiny black/white, so all things being equal I'd lean that way. But, ultimately, my main consideration is sound....especially vinyl (everything from jazz to classical to old school funk to punk, metal and garage rock). I may want to add a centre channel later but for now going 2.0.

thanks.
I know this may not be what you want to hear, but you really need to listen to them and decide that way. I think the KEFQ900 is on the recommended list for either stereophile or S&V. The RX6 was on the stereophile recommended list, but I haven't heard a comparison of the new series 6 vs the RX6. Always wondered about Canton speakers. Haven't heard many people mention them on the board. Wonder why that is? 😏 Good place to start would be the stereophile and S&V recommend lists and then go listen if you can.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keasley View Post

Monitor Audio Silver 6
Canton GLE 490.2
Canton Karat 770DC
KEF Q900
Canton Chrono 509.2
Canton Ergo 607 DC
Monitor Audio Silver 8

thanks.
I know this may not be what you want to hear, but you really need to listen to them and decide that way. I think the KEFQ900 is on the recommended list for either stereophile or S&V. The RX6 was on the stereophile recommended list, but I haven't heard a comparison of the new series 6 vs the RX6. Always wondered about Canton speakers. Haven't heard many people mention them on the board. Wonder why that is? 😏 Good place to start would be the stereophile and S&V recommend lists and then go listen if you can.
+1
Old 06-15-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

I haven't heard either series. I do own the rx8s and center though...love'em. The silver line is, I think, two steps up from the radius and therefore is built with better components and materials. If it were me, I'd go with the silver. The radius should do fine as surrounds, but anything in the front stage should be silvers to match best (L,R,C,wides,heights). You'll probably want a sub eventually, I'd go with one of the ID (Internet direct) brands for the best performance and value. Look at hsu, svs, psa, etc..
Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.
Thanks for sharing your opinion! I think I'll go with the Silver 1 as front speakers then. And possibly also a sub later. Not sure my neighbors will be so happy about that though.

As for suitable AV-receivers, is there any consensus on what brands work well with Monitor Audio speakers? I'm considering for example Sony STR-DN1040/1050 or Marantz SR-7008. Does anybody have any recommendations on what receiver to get that will match the Monitor Audio setups I listed?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokbyter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijinbu View Post
I think they're definitely worth a listen, and I'd pack up my RX-2s to take with me for a direct comparison. It won't be your room, but you can least hear them side by side. I imagine it would be an upgrade since it's silver vs gold, but that doesn't mean you'll like it.

Thanks for the advice, I will be bringing my RX2s for comparison.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.������
Thanks for sharing your opinion! I think I'll go with the Silver 1 as front speakers then. And possibly also a sub later. Not sure my neighbors will be so happy about that though.

As for suitable AV-receivers, is there any consensus on what brands work well with Monitor Audio speakers? I'm considering for example Sony STR-DN1040/1050 or Marantz SR-7008. Does anybody have any recommendations on what receiver to get that will match the Monitor Audio setups I listed?
I've used both Sony and denon with great results.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:30 PM

^^^i would get the marantz bw those two. Marantz and MA are known to be a good match and many dealers sell the two together.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Heights?

Anyone have experience using front height speakers?

I'm using RX8's from my mains, w/RX center, RX6 sides & RXFX rears. I'm thinking if I wanted to EXPERIMENT with front high speakers, the RX1's would match the RX8's as the both have 6" woofers, right?

How much content is really sent to front highs?
RX2 would be overkill as not a lot of low end would be coming from the height speakers?
I also already have RS1's in another room I could use as heights if not exact timbre matching isn't a concern on surrounds.... as I believe front height would be considered surround.

Share your thoughts!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoey View Post

I'm using RX8's from my mains, w/RX center, RX6 sides & RXFX rears. I'm thinking if I wanted to EXPERIMENT with front high speakers, the RX1's would match the RX8's as the both have 6" woofers, right?

RX2 would be overkill as not a lot of low end would be coming from the height speakers?
I also already have RS1's in another room I could use as heights if not exact timbre matching isn't a concern on surrounds.... as I believe front height would be considered surround.

Share your thoughts!
I say try the rs1s and see how you like them there. I use old sats for heights and another brand of bookshelves for wides. Felt I've gotten more from wides than heights, ymmv.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
^^^i would get the marantz bw those two. Marantz and MA are known to be a good match and many dealers sell the two together.
Yes, I'm leaning towards the Marantz. When talking with dealers they often say Marantz is a good combo with Monitor Audio. I'll see if I can try them out together.

I know the Sony STR-DN1040 has been consistently good reviews. But the Marantz SR-7008 is about 2-3x as expensive, and has also gotten good reviews in general, so I figure it should be a step up from the Sony, right? That is if I like the character of the receiver of course.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dear all:

I have been bitten by the "upgrade" bug! My budget would only allow me to do so much....and believe me I pushed it as far as it can go. Here's what I had and where I was able to go.

What I had: -------------> What I upgraded to:

Speakers: Monitor Audio BX5 ------------------> Monitor Audio Silver 8

Amp: Marantz PM 6004 -----------------> Rega Brio R

Cables: QED micro silver -----------------> Atlas Equator 2.0

CD Player: Marantz 6004 CD Player with Chord Crimson interconnects ----------------> SAME NO CHANGE

Sound: Clear, detailed yet was bit too bright and at times hard and fatiguing -----------------> More detailed and much much warmer, mellower and more enjoyable

I sold my Monitor Audio BX5 and Marantz 6004 CD player to push my budget further. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to upgrade the CD player and those fancy "glitzy" cables that run well over £30/meter (I needed 8 meters) were out of my reach. I am certainly enjoying my operas, music dramas and keyboard works a whole lot more.

All the best,

Artmusic

Last edited by ArtMusic; 06-18-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoey View Post

Share your thoughts!
I'd say the RX2 would be far beyond overkill... but that's just me. I have bx2/centre in my LCR channels, and a pair of CA Minx10's for heights - they do the trick for me. There's not a lot of sound coming from them, probably less than the surrounds - except for dialog, because I use the Dialogue Lift feature (it's a Yamaha AVR). But that's enough to improve the surrounding effects.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe presence channels are not supposed to give you any sound below 80Hz (maybe 60).

As ambesolman said, try the RS1's. If you have any cheaper/smaller speakers to get your hands on, try them too, and see if it makes a big difference.

All the best,

VMat
Old 06-19-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMusic View Post
Dear all:

I have been bitten by the "upgrade" bug! My budget would only allow me to do so much....and believe me I pushed it as far as it can go. Here's what I had and where I was able to go.

What I had: -------------> What I upgraded to:

Speakers: Monitor Audio BX5 ------------------> Monitor Audio Silver 8

Amp: Marantz PM 6004 -----------------> Rega Brio R

Cables: QED micro silver -----------------> Atlas Equator 2.0

CD Player: Marantz 6004 CD Player with Chord Crimson interconnects ----------------> SAME NO CHANGE

Sound: Clear, detailed yet was bit too bright and at times hard and fatiguing -----------------> More detailed and much much warmer, mellower and more enjoyable

I sold my Monitor Audio BX5 and Marantz 6004 CD player to push my budget further. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to upgrade the CD player and those fancy "glitzy" cables that run well over £30/meter (I needed 8 meters) were out of my reach. I am certainly enjoying my operas, music dramas and keyboard works a whole lot more.

All the best,

Artmusic
Thanks for sharing your experiences! Did you try different combinations of the new vs old equipment? Do you have any idea what contributed most to the benefits, e.g. the new amp or the new speakers?
Old 06-19-2014, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Yes, I'm leaning towards the Marantz. When talking with dealers they often say Marantz is a good combo with Monitor Audio. I'll see if I can try them out together.

I know the Sony STR-DN1040 has been consistently good reviews. But the Marantz SR-7008 is about 2-3x as expensive, and has also gotten good reviews in general, so I figure it should be a step up from the Sony, right? That is if I like the character of the receiver of course.
I'd appreciate hearing how your decision goes with this as I'm in a similar situation - comparing the Sony str-dn850/1050 to a Marantz SR-5008. I'm coming from an older HK AVR254 which has served me well, but is lacking some features I now would like to have.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experiences! Did you try different combinations of the new vs old equipment? Do you have any idea what contributed most to the benefits, e.g. the new amp or the new speakers?
Hello Fjodor2000. Yes I did try different combinations.. But first let me explain the reason for my desire to upgrade. As much as I liked the combination of Marantz pm 6004 amo and Monitor Audio BX5 I found some of my recordings, especially those with instruments like the harpsichord too fatiguing. The sound over time was too "hard" I did not want to continue listening after 15 minutes. I wanted a smoother sound and was directed to the Monitor audio silver 6. Let me tell you that the jump from the BX5 to the Silevr 6 was the biggest difference. I tested the silver 6s with the Marantz amp with those harpsichord recordings and they sounded smoother. I found the sound I wanted but I was advised that I could get a lot more detail out of the silver 6s with a more powerful amp. So I tried the Rega Brio R amp and the difference in the level of detail was very noticeable. I then asked about the Silver8s as they were only £250 more expensive. They had a designated mid range driver providing even more detail and with classical music that was essential! So I tested them with the Brio amp and was sold!

Artmusic
Old 06-20-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMusic View Post
Hello Fjodor2000. Yes I did try different combinations.. But first let me explain the reason for my desire to upgrade. As much as I liked the combination of Marantz pm 6004 amo and Monitor Audio BX5 I found some of my recordings, especially those with instruments like the harpsichord too fatiguing. The sound over time was too "hard" I did not want to continue listening after 15 minutes. I wanted a smoother sound and was directed to the Monitor audio silver 6. Let me tell you that the jump from the BX5 to the Silevr 6 was the biggest difference. I tested the silver 6s with the Marantz amp with those harpsichord recordings and they sounded smoother. I found the sound I wanted but I was advised that I could get a lot more detail out of the silver 6s with a more powerful amp. So I tried the Rega Brio R amp and the difference in the level of detail was very noticeable. I then asked about the Silver8s as they were only £250 more expensive. They had a designated mid range driver providing even more detail and with classical music that was essential! So I tested them with the Brio amp and was sold!

Artmusic
Thanks! So do you think a higher end Marantz receiver would have worked well with your Monitor Audio Silver speakers as well? I.e. it was not the "character" of the Marantz receiver sound that was the problem in your case? I'm wondering because I'm considering as Monitor Audio Silver and Marantz combination myself currently. But it will be a more expensive Marantz model than the PM 6004 that you used, the SR7008 to be precise.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks! So do you think a higher end Marantz receiver would have worked well with your Monitor Audio Silver speakers as well? I.e. it was not the "character" of the Marantz receiver sound that was the problem in your case? I'm wondering because I'm considering as Monitor Audio and Marantz combination myself currently. But it will be a more expensive Marantz model, the SR7008 to be precise.

Hello. I did not test the more expensive Marantz model, the SR7008 that you are considering. The Rega Brio R was recommended by the sales agent as a good warm amp to go with the Montor Audio Silver 6s and Silver 8s. When tested with the Monitor Audio Silver 6s it outperformed the Marantz 6004 pm by a long shot! No comparison.

Sorry but I should have made one thing clear: I believe in my case the jump from the Bronze BX5 to the Silver 8 was what made all the difference. My experience here has taught me to go for the better speaker. ALWAYS GO FOR THE BETTER SPEAKER.....you'll come out ahead!

artmusic

Last edited by ArtMusic; 06-20-2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Wish I had a dedicated room, but that will have to wait for the next house. I have the rxfx speakers on the back wall running them in bi-pole mode. If you like it really loud, you may want to still consider going separates if you get the 8s or 10s. Others can chime in as I have the 6s and the SR 7005 is plenty of power for my setup.
I don't have a dedicated room either unfortunately, that will have to wait for the next house. As I'll build it, I probably won't have the spare cash to fill a dedicated room with goodies though!

Anyway still waiting to demo the GX200 and GX150. The dealer had it all setup ready to go, unfortunately someone else took a fancy to those GX200s.

Thinking about looking at some Kef R Series speakers whilst I wait for the dealer to get more stock. Plus is the 3 way centre which fits in my cabinet, negative is the lack of matching rear dipole in ceiling.

Last edited by michaelharvey; 06-20-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelharvey View Post
I don't have a dedicated room either unfortunately, that will have to wait for the next house. As I'll build it, I probably won't have the spare cash to fill a dedicated room with goodies though!

Anyway still waiting to demo the GX200 and GX150. The dealer had it all setup ready to go, unfortunately someone else took a fancy to those GX200s.

Thinking about looking at some Kef R Series speakers whilst I wait for the dealer to get more stock. Plus is the 3 way centre which fits in my cabinet, negative is the lack of matching rear dipole in ceiling.
its interesting how hard it is to find the perfect setup amongst so many speaker makers. When price and value comes into play, they all seem to have a weak link. Whether it be the center channel or surrounds. Those Kef R series are really nice looking although I like the grill to come down further on the speaker. You may want to consider that the future codecs for surround sound will place greater emphasis on having more direct sound coming from the surround speakers. Bipole and monopole should be a better choice long term bc of this. Just something to think about if you'll be keeping them a long time. Thus, having a surround speaker that is switchable or built for the future may make more sense. What king of off axis performance do the Kef centers have?
Old 06-21-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
its interesting how hard it is to find the perfect setup amongst so many speaker makers. When price and value comes into play, they all seem to have a weak link. Whether it be the center channel or surrounds. Those Kef R series are really nice looking although I like the grill to come down further on the speaker. You may want to consider that the future codecs for surround sound will place greater emphasis on having more direct sound coming from the surround speakers. Bipole and monopole should be a better choice long term bc of this. Just something to think about if you'll be keeping them a long time. Thus, having a surround speaker that is switchable or built for the future may make more sense. What king of off axis performance do the Kef centers have?
Yes I totally understand the weak link, I've done too much research on this! I think Monitor Audio are closest with their GX line with having everything a consumer wants (GX300 + GX350 + GX Surrounds) would make a great HT. Of course the price is a little out of control too.

The Kef 200 centre, according to Sound and Vision, measures virtually flat out to 30 degrees and only mild dips out to 45 & 60 degrees.

For the surrounds, I do prefer a more dispersed sound. I find the MA FX speakers fantastic (at least in the showroom). Would like to demo the CT380FX but nowhere has them installed unfortunately. On another thread I'm told Kef has a THX certified in ceiling, with a very dispersed sound field (although not specifically a surround).

Thanks for the point on the future surround codecs. I'll keep these speakers for a very long time, but in 5-7 years when I next move they will go into a general living area for our kids.
I'm still very impressed with the Silver series. I wonder if its best not to worry about the Golds or anything else and just enjoy the Silvers!
Old 06-21-2014, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
FS: Silver RX8

I'm selling my, little over year and a half old, MA Silver RX8 for $1,150.00 (free shipping within CONUS). I'm the original owner and they're in excellent condition (like new). I really took good care of them they are packed in their original boxes.

Here are the specs:

System Format: 3 Way
Frequency Response: 32Hz - 35kHz
Sensitivity (1W@1M): 90dB
Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
Maximum SPL (dBA): 116.2
Power Handling (RMS): 175W
Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS): 50 - 175W
Bass Alignment: Bass reflex.
Twin HiVe®II port System
Tweeter Crossover Frequency: LF/MF: 300Hz
MF/HF: 2.2 kHz
Drive Unit Complement: 2 x 6" RST® Bass drivers.
1 x 6" RST® Bass/Mid driver.
1 x 1" (25mm) C-CAM® gold dome tweeter
Product External Dimensions:
(H x W x D)
inc. plinth & feet 960 x 275 x 388 mm (37 13/16 x 10 13/16 x 15 1/4 inch)
Individual Weight: 21.76 Kg (47.88 lb)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	130330   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	130338   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	561
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	130346   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 9.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	130354   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 10.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	130362  

Last edited by dac-906; 07-27-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
It sounds a little bit better now, I've moved the Sofas out the room and re-run YPAO a couple of times, results are better.

It set the Bass Crossover to 120Hz, also set my Subwoofer to -1 with the Level at the back of the Subwoofer to around 60%.

When I first got the MA Vectors, and I didn't do much configuring and I just set the Crossover to 80Hz, I watched Lone Survivor and during one of the helicopter scenes my Right Rear Speaker made like a crackling noise, as if too much treble and I thought I had popped the Speaker.

I did a test tone afterwards and it's fine. But, I now realize that, that happened because the Crossover was set to 80Hz, it's too low for these Speakers.

YPAO set the Crossover to 120Hz, I watched I Frankenstein the other day and it sounded ok.

I watched a Bollywood flick and in those films you have 5-7 min songs during the film, I noticed that the Subwoofer was giving out too much bass during one song, it may be the crap authoring of the bluray as bollywood blurays aren't that impressive but maybe I was thinking, I could set the Satellites to give out little more bass so instead of 80Hz, set to 100Hz instead of YPAO's set of 120Hz?

Is a 10Hz jump considerable? If I heard that worrying noise from my Surrounds during that Helicopter scene, I don't want that to happen again it could damage my Speakers.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNZi View Post
It sounds a little bit better now, I've moved the Sofas out the room and re-run YPAO a couple of times, results are better.

It set the Bass Crossover to 120Hz, also set my Subwoofer to -1 with the Level at the back of the Subwoofer to around 60%.

When I first got the MA Vectors, and I didn't do much configuring and I just set the Crossover to 80Hz, I watched Lone Survivor and during one of the helicopter scenes my Right Rear Speaker made like a crackling noise, as if too much treble and I thought I had popped the Speaker.

I did a test tone afterwards and it's fine. But, I now realize that, that happened because the Crossover was set to 80Hz, it's too low for these Speakers.

YPAO set the Crossover to 120Hz, I watched I Frankenstein the other day and it sounded ok.

I watched a Bollywood flick and in those films you have 5-7 min songs during the film, I noticed that the Subwoofer was giving out too much bass during one song, it may be the crap authoring of the bluray as bollywood blurays aren't that impressive but maybe I was thinking, I could set the Satellites to give out little more bass so instead of 80Hz, set to 100Hz instead of YPAO's set of 120Hz?

Is a 10Hz jump considerable? If I heard that worrying noise from my Surrounds during that Helicopter scene, I don't want that to happen again it could damage my Speakers.

Are the sofas out of the room permanently? If you put them back in then you need to rerun ypao with them in there. Everything in the room makes a difference in the sound.

As far as lowering to crossover from what ypao sets it at...I'm not sure if ypao works the same, but with audyssey it's ok to raise the crossover from what it determines but not lower it. If audyssey sets the crossover to 120hz then it won't eq below that for the speaker. It'd be like you never ran it at all. That's how understand it anyway. I'm only assuming ypao works the same way.

I'd try and just live with the crossovers it sets for a while and get used to your new speakers. You can always change it later[emoji6]
Remember, the higher your crossover the more info that's going to the sub. The sub can play those lower frequencies way better than those small speakers can[emoji106]

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba