3Likes

post #10231 of 10249 Old 07-07-2014, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Your room is roughly the same size as mine. The vtf3 mk4 is on sale right now for $639, but not sure how long the sale lasts, just call. They're really nice and can help with any questions.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html

The bx1 would do well for rears. $379/pr
Center is $299

http://saturdayaudio.com

That should get you right at your budget. If you call they may give a discount ordering multiple speakers. Never hurts to ask

If you like to build stuff, you could always DIY a sub for a little cheaper. I'm about to give it a try myself just to see if I can do it.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

Yep, going with the BX Center and BX1 (rear), love the look and reviews.

How do you like the vtf3 mk4? Good combo sub (music/movie)? I'm still learning, but the site seemed to have it listed as both sealed and ported. I know this should probably go under a different thread.
lol

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10232 of 10249 Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
You don't need 20'. My setup is on the long wall of my room. The only reason mine are so far apart is due to the French doors. You could put them near the wall and maybe a little closer to you to create more of a circle around you. I just work with what I got.

Here's a pic, ignore the mess. We're prepping for out of town guests

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still 👎

Ok!!!

In your room, I can see where wide would work. Mine is 13ft wide, and I'm using 9ft of that for the front three. I don't think my ceiling will give me the required distance for heights either.... lol
post #10233 of 10249 Old 07-07-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhurricane30 View Post
Yep, going with the BX Center and BX1 (rear), love the look and reviews.

How do you like the vtf3 mk4? Good combo sub (music/movie)? I'm still learning, but the site seemed to have it listed as both sealed and ported. I know this should probably go under a different thread.
lol

Thanks!!

I actually have the older version, the mk3, and is my first real sub. If ding it to my setup has been totally transformative for everything played through it. Action movies sound huge! War of the Worlds when the pods emerge and the lightning scene before it are still my favorite demo clips. It sits next to my side of the sofa (upside down, which is perfectly fine per hsu) with the driver firing toward me. It gives a tremendous tactile sensation that really ups the enjoyment level on bass heavy material.
It's just as great with music, never bloated. It's accurate, smooth and pretty tight. I listen to a lot of rock, bluegrass, metal, acoustic, some rap/r&b, electronic, etc. A pretty wide variety. Sounds great on all of it at high or low volume.

The mk4 is more versatile since, like you said, it can run in sealed OR ported so you can play with that and the other different settings to see what sounds best for you. It blends really well with my rx8s and can't recommend it enough. Excellent customer service as well

jhurricane30 likes this.
post #10234 of 10249 Old 07-10-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I've got Monitor Audio speakers in my surround system, and I'm looking for advise on what subwoofer to add to the setup.

I've got the following setup:

Front Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver 1
Center Speaker: Monitor Audio Silver Centre
Surround Speakers: Monitor Audio Radius 90
A/V Receiver: Marantz SR-7008

I just got the stuff, and really like it. It is improving for every initial hour used. They say it requires ~60 hours burn in time, so I'm looking forward to further improvements.

But I think I'll be needing a subwoofer to complement it. I think the Monitor Audio Silver W12 is too expensive. So I wonder what other subwoofers work well with Monitor Audio speakers? I'm prioritizing tight, controlled and detailed bass before absolutely lowest frequency response.

So I'd appreciate any advise and opinion on what would be a suitable subwoofer? Budget is around $400-700 (unless you think that is unreasonably low?).
post #10235 of 10249 Old 07-10-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
Hi,

I've got Monitor Audio speakers in my surround system, and I'm looking for advise on what subwoofer to add to the setup.

I've got the following setup:

Front Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver 1
Center Speaker: Monitor Audio Silver Centre
Surround Speakers: Monitor Audio Radius 90
A/V Receiver: Marantz SR-7008

I just got the stuff, and really like it. It is improving for every initial hour used. They say it requires ~60 hours burn in time, so I'm looking forward to further improvements.

But I think I'll be needing a subwoofer to complement it. I think the Monitor Audio Silver W12 is too expensive. So I wonder what other subwoofers work well with Monitor Audio speakers? I'm prioritizing tight, controlled and detailed bass before absolutely lowest frequency response.

So I'd appreciate any advise and opinion on what would be a suitable subwoofer? Budget is around $400-700 (unless you think that is unreasonably low?).

I love my hsu vtf 3, sounds great with my rx8s

post #10236 of 10249 Old 07-11-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dac-906 View Post
FS: Silver RX8

I'm selling my, little over year and a half old, MA Silver RX8 for $1,150.00 (free shipping within CONUS). I'm the original owner and they're in excellent condition (like new). I really took good care of them they are packed in their original boxes.

Here are the specs:

System Format: 3 Way
Frequency Response: 32Hz - 35kHz
Sensitivity (1W@1M): 90dB
Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
Maximum SPL (dBA): 116.2
Power Handling (RMS): 175W
Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS): 50 - 175W
Bass Alignment: Bass reflex.
Twin HiVe®II port System
Tweeter Crossover Frequency: LF/MF: 300Hz
MF/HF: 2.2 kHz
Drive Unit Complement: 2 x 6" RST® Bass drivers.
1 x 6" RST® Bass/Mid driver.
1 x 1" (25mm) C-CAM® gold dome tweeter
Product External Dimensions:
(H x W x D)
inc. plinth & feet 960 x 275 x 388 mm (37 13/16 x 10 13/16 x 15 1/4 inch)
Individual Weight: 21.76 Kg (47.88 lb)
Bump

Sources ---> Clearaudio Concept TT, Onkyo CDP, MacBook Pro/Audirvana
Pre/DAC & Power Amp ---> Emotiva XPS-1 Phono Stage, Emotiva Stealth DC-1 Pre/DAC, Emotiva XPA-1L Monos
Speaker ---> Dynaudio Excite X34
Cable ---> Audioquest Type 8 Speaker Cable, Emotiva Interconnect Cables
Headphone ----> Onkyo ES-CTI300 (SS)
post #10237 of 10249 Old 07-11-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I love my hsu vtf 3, sounds great with my rx8s
Ok, thanks! I'll check them out. Looking at the frequency response curve they do seem to go very low though, see http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html. Is the bass still tight, controlled an detailed? Because I'd like to prioritize that before absolutely lowest frequency response. In fact I should probably avoid absolutely lowest frequency response to not upset the neighbors too.

Also, I'd like to have some more alternatives to compare with as well if possible. So are there any other subwoofers fitting my requirements that would work well With Monitory Audio? How about the SVS SB-1000 for example that I've heard some mention on the forum?
post #10238 of 10249 Old 07-11-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok, thanks! I'll check them out. Looking at the frequency response curve they do seem to go very low though, see http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html. Is the bass still tight, controlled an detailed? Because I'd like to prioritize that before absolutely lowest frequency response. In fact I should probably avoid absolutely lowest frequency response to not upset the neighbors too.

Also, I'd like to have some more alternatives to compare with as well if possible. So are there any other subwoofers fitting my requirements that would work well With Monitory Audio? How about the SVS SB-1000 for example that I've heard some mention on the forum?

Others may be able to chime in with their experiences with other subs, I've only owned the hsu.

Tight, controlled and detailed? I'd vote yes. Everything I've run through it sounds great. I heard crappy bass from my old JBL 8", the hsu is nothing like that.

Just because it will play low, 1) doesn't mean you have to play material with low content 2) doesn't mean it doesn't play the higher frequencies just as well and 3) it's better to have the ability (especially with movies) and not use it than need/want what you can't have or produce.

post #10239 of 10249 Old 07-11-2014, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I tried the pb-1000 which is ported, but I don't think it matters in terms of it versus the sealed version. I sent it back. Not enough output for my space. ...3000 cubic ft. Not sure what your space is like, but most would say to get a 12 inch sub. I tend to like my vtf 3mk4 sealed instead of ported. I also think my next sub will be a much more powerful sealed sub like the svs sb13 ultra or something similar.
post #10240 of 10249 Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
I tried the pb-1000 which is ported, but I don't think it matters in terms of it versus the sealed version. I sent it back. Not enough output for my space. ...3000 cubic ft. Not sure what your space is like, but most would say to get a 12 inch sub. I tend to like my vtf 3mk4 sealed instead of ported. I also think my next sub will be a much more powerful sealed sub like the svs sb13 ultra or something similar.
My room is a little smaller, 2000 cubic ft. So do you think the SVS SB-1000 might work then?

Also, when you said that the PB-1000 did not have enough output for your room, how was that noticed? Did you e.g. not reach sufficient sound volume levels, was the "impact" too low, or something else? Finally, what was the impression of the SVS PB-1000 apart from that. I.e. did it sound good otherwise, so you can recommend it as a sub in a smaller room?
post #10241 of 10249 Old 07-12-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Better to have too much and be able to turn it down than not have enough

post #10242 of 10249 Old 07-12-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
My room is a little smaller, 2000 cubic ft. So do you think the SVS SB-1000 might work then?

Also, when you said that the PB-1000 did not have enough output for your room, how was that noticed? Did you e.g. not reach sufficient sound volume levels, was the "impact" too low, or something else? Finally, what was the impression of the SVS PB-1000 apart from that. I.e. did it sound good otherwise, so you can recommend it as a sub in a smaller room?
not enough output was based on actually using it for both music and movies, and then not feeling the impact or level of effect that I wanted. You can turn up the gain on sb-1000, but I don't like the idea of running it at 3/4 Max gain. You can always try it and send it back if you don't like it. Sealed subwoofers require more amps for decent output compared to a ported subwoofer. I really don't think the sb-1000 will provide enough impact when watching movies. The smaller the box, the more amps you need for decent output, slam, effect, whatever you want to call it. I think you'll find this to be the case.
post #10243 of 10249 Old 07-13-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
not enough output was based on actually using it for both music and movies, and then not feeling the impact or level of effect that I wanted. You can turn up the gain on sb-1000, but I don't like the idea of running it at 3/4 Max gain. You can always try it and send it back if you don't like it. Sealed subwoofers require more amps for decent output compared to a ported subwoofer. I really don't think the sb-1000 will provide enough impact when watching movies. The smaller the box, the more amps you need for decent output, slam, effect, whatever you want to call it. I think you'll find this to be the case.
Ok I see. Well, I guess it depends on what you're looking for. In my case I'm not looking for something that rattles the sofa and gives me a punch in the chest. I'm primarily looking for a subwoofer that can add the frequencies not present in the Silver 1 & Silver Center speakers that I have. I'm assuming that the SB-1000 should be able to help with that at least.

Also, in my case I'm factoring in size too, because I'd like it to blend into my living room being noticed as little as possible. If I should be picky, I'd also like the subwoofer to be available in high gloss white since all my other speakers have that finish. That does limit the amount of subwoofer choices quite a bit though!
post #10244 of 10249 Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Ok I see. Well, I guess it depends on what you're looking for. In my case I'm not looking for something that rattles the sofa and gives me a punch in the chest. I'm primarily looking for a subwoofer that can add the frequencies not present in the Silver 1 & Silver Center speakers that I have. I'm assuming that the SB-1000 should be able to help with that at least.

Also, in my case I'm factoring in size too, because I'd like it to blend into my living room being noticed as little as possible. If I should be picky, I'd also like the subwoofer to be available in high gloss white since all my other speakers have that finish. That does limit the amount of subwoofer choices quite a bit though!
The vtf 3 doesn't rattle our couch and you can't feel it in your chest. I guess what I meant to say is that it just fills in the gap much better than the ps-1000 for my setup. Again, they have a free return policy so you can try it and see what you think. Lastly, most in the subwoofer forum would guide you to a 12 inch sub. I like the hsu subs over svs in the < $ 800 price range bc of their flexibility in setup. You can go ported or not ported. You can adjust the q control which affects how clean the bass is for any level of gain you set the sub for. Hsu doesn't provide for free returns though, and I don't think they offer white gloss as a finish.

Last edited by tidwelr1; 07-15-2014 at 09:31 AM.
post #10245 of 10249 Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hello

I have RX center, RX6 front, RXW12 and RX1 for surround. RX1 want to change to RX FX, but now I do not get anywhere this series, becouse new one come out. The question is can I mix the old version (RX Center, RX6 and RX W12) that runs on 6 ohms with the latest Silver FX that operating at 8 ohms? I use Yamaha RX-V3900 reciver which now is set to be connected 6 ohm speakers.
post #10246 of 10249 Old 07-14-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonzi View Post
hello

I have RX center, RX6 front, RXW12 and RX1 for surround. RX1 want to change to RX FX, but now I do not get anywhere this series, becouse new one come out. The question is can I mix the old version (RX Center, RX6 and RX W12) that runs on 6 ohms with the latest Silver FX that operating at 8 ohms? I use Yamaha RX-V3900 reciver which now is set to be connected 6 ohm speakers.

You should be fine. If you have rosenut rx1s and want to get rid of a pair let me know

post #10247 of 10249 Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
You should be fine. If you have rosenut rx1s and want to get rid of a pair let me know

And what better to set yamaha to 6 ohms or 8 ohms?

I'm sorry but the speakers are already sold.
post #10248 of 10249 Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonzi View Post
And what better to set yamaha to 6 ohms or 8 ohms?

I'm sorry but the speakers are already sold.

I'd just leave it at 6ohms but either setting should be fine.

post #10249 of 10249 Old 07-20-2014, 05:34 AM

Liked: 11
I love my Monitor Audio Silver Rx-8s, but we are merging households and I need the space. They are walnut color, perfect condition, 1.5 years old. I have the original boxes, so Msg me if you are interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (153.9 KB, 18 views)
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page