Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 343 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #10261 of 10283 Old 07-30-2014, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 44
^^ Didn't know they did gloss white. That's a striking look!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10262 of 10283 Old 08-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
@hamp ,

Have you tried out your height speakers yet?
post #10263 of 10283 Old 08-02-2014, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird 23 View Post
@hamp ,

Have you tried out your height speakers yet?
Sup!!!

Yup, I finally installed them. My first impression of it was a big ole smile. I threw in Tron since I demoed that movie the most in my setup.

The beginning of the Tron disc before the movie, where they have the explosion above the Disney castle? Well I noticed that effect right away with some of the explosions anchored to the screen, and what seemed to explode well above and just outside.

At that point I have not ran the calibration program yet.(and still haven't)

During some conversation in the movie, I can say I understand what you mean with the center channel being inferior. With the combination of left/right & height speakers, they seem to drown out the center channel, but again, no calibration ran yet.

Lazy me, added a few db's to the center, so that I can mess around for awhile.

You may want me to get right down to the point of it. Do I think they are worth it? I'm at a crossroad with answering that one. The price I paid for the RX1's, then the answer would be 'hell yes, its worth it', and remember I also got a great deal on the 2channel amp I am using with the heights.

Remember my odd configuration?
AVR powering the front 3
(3) 2channel amps for the heights, sides and rear surrounds.

I believe a person would really have to love the effect to pay full price to set it all up.

Or yet,

If the silver1's happen to be some extra speakers, as if someone decided to use all FX's, instead of silver1 in their surrounds, then I think that would sound incredible. .. lol

Also, when I said I am as a crossroad with this setup, I seriously feel that the RX1’s are being underutilized. I really feel they are some fantastic speakers. They really wow me. What I get from the RX2’s, I’m rather expecting them to perform the way they do.

When I gotten the RX1’s home, I tested them in my bedroom and they crushed the klipsch synergy towers I have in there.

I really look forward to your thoughts when your room is complete, but I already know you, You more than likely already priced out another system.. lol

And although you may have already priced out another system, I have a feeling something from your current MA setup isn’t going anywhere, and will be used somewhere in your house. (Silver 10’s or Silver 1’s)?????

Last edited by HAMP568; 08-02-2014 at 12:23 AM.
post #10264 of 10283 Old 08-02-2014, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Loving the Silver 8

I've auditioned a few floor standers, and so far the Silver 8s are right at the top of the shortlist.

They won me over with there sonic signature, clear highs, and bass extension. Cymbals and high hats have to sound right to me, and they just work on these speakers. And bass range is a must for me as I hate it when speakers sound weak on "that" bit of a track!

Anyway, I'm very close to getting these, but have some questions...

I'm wondering whether I should go for the 10s for that extra low range. Though my concern is that they would overwhelm my room. It's around 5x4m (16x13ft), and I would be sat around 2.5m (8ft) from the wall they would be closest to (so around 2m (6.5ft) from listening position). Any thoughts on this? Will it matter if I don't crank them up?

The second question is what amp to go for... So far I've just tried the Arcam FMJ A19. Again, I won't crank them up, but would this amp be sufficient anyway?

(This is my first venture into separates, so forgive any obviously stupid questions!)

Cheers
post #10265 of 10283 Old 08-02-2014, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20_20000 View Post
I've auditioned a few floor standers, and so far the Silver 8s are right at the top of the shortlist.

They won me over with there sonic signature, clear highs, and bass extension. Cymbals and high hats have to sound right to me, and they just work on these speakers. And bass range is a must for me as I hate it when speakers sound weak on "that" bit of a track!

Anyway, I'm very close to getting these, but have some questions...

I'm wondering whether I should go for the 10s for that extra low range. Though my concern is that they would overwhelm my room. It's around 5x4m (16x13ft), and I would be sat around 2.5m (8ft) from the wall they would be closest to (so around 2m (6.5ft) from listening position). Any thoughts on this? Will it matter if I don't crank them up?

The second question is what amp to go for... So far I've just tried the Arcam FMJ A19. Again, I won't crank them up, but would this amp be sufficient anyway?

(This is my first venture into separates, so forgive any obviously stupid questions!)

Cheers
From what you posted, I'm gonna guess these will only be used for 2channel music only? If that is the case, then I believe you would appreciate the Silver 10's a little more. If for home theater, I believe the Silver 6's would be very nice, and you should not worry about the low-end if you plan to add a subwoofer in your theater area.

And I agree with you, this new line(Silver) from Monitor Audio are very impressive. If I was in the market for some new speakers, the Silvers would be it. I have the previous line(RX) and I still love'em.
post #10266 of 10283 Old 08-02-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post
From what you posted, I'm gonna guess these will only be used for 2channel music only?
Yeh, it will be for 2 channel only. I was initially contemplating 2 bookshelfs with a sub, but just prefer the sound and ease of setup of a floor stander. Especially the silver 8/10 since they go more than low enough for music.

Any thoughts or experience of floor standers in a room this size? It's just a shame I can't audition speakers at home. It's difficult shelling out so much for something that might not sound great in the room I'll put them in!
post #10267 of 10283 Old 08-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

With music, you don’t need a subwoofer using bookshelf speakers. I have RX2’s, and I turn my subs off when I feel like listening to some music. I’m using 13x17 space for my room.
post #10268 of 10283 Old 08-02-2014, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently looking for new MA speakers for my 13x15 room (11' cathedral ceiling). Room is dedicated to 2 channel only. I have been using the RS-6 speakers for the past few years, so time to upgrade. I would love the GX200, but Silver 8 fits a little more into the budget.
Only thing I am worried about is distance from front wall to rear of speaker. Speakers need to be placed with only 15" spacing. I use the foam plugs for the rear bass port. Looks like there are 2 bass ports in the Silver 8. Wondering if bass will be too overwhelming in my room.
post #10269 of 10283 Old 08-03-2014, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smholl View Post
I am currently looking for new MA speakers for my 13x15 room (11' cathedral ceiling). Room is dedicated to 2 channel only. I have been using the RS-6 speakers for the past few years, so time to upgrade. I would love the GX200, but Silver 8 fits a little more into the budget.
Only thing I am worried about is distance from front wall to rear of speaker. Speakers need to be placed with only 15" spacing. I use the foam plugs for the rear bass port. Looks like there are 2 bass ports in the Silver 8. Wondering if bass will be too overwhelming in my room.
I believe both the Silver 8s and 10s come with 4 bungs to tame the bass.

Seems like you have a similarly sized room to me. How do the RS-6s cope in there? Is bass overwhelming with the ports open? Have you bunged them because they have to be close to the front wall?
post #10270 of 10283 Old 08-03-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I believe both the Silver 8s and 10s come with 4 bungs to tame the bass.

Seems like you have a similarly sized room to me. How do the RS-6s cope in there? Is bass overwhelming with the ports open? Have you bunged them because they have to be close to the front wall?
Because my speakers are close to front wall, I had to close off the rear port. Bass is too overwhelming with it open. Front port open is fine. I don't have the space to position the speakers away from the wall anymore than about 15".
Overall, the RS-6's sound great in that size room. They image quite well.
I do like the idea of a true 3-way speaker, having a dedicated mid-range. That is why I'm leaning toward the Silver 8 as a replacement.
post #10271 of 10283 Old 08-03-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Yeh, it will be for 2 channel only. I was initially contemplating 2 bookshelfs with a sub, but just prefer the sound and ease of setup of a floor stander. Especially the silver 8/10 since they go more than low enough for music.

Any thoughts or experience of floor standers in a room this size? It's just a shame I can't audition speakers at home. It's difficult shelling out so much for something that might not sound great in the room I'll put them in!
Its a shame there are no demo speakers available for you to take home and try. The local shop here offered several speakers and amps to try at home.

I settled on the silver 10's and an anthem 2 channel amp for a downstairs area of 24x24 with 9' ceiling. I love the combination.
It can sound as if you are standing right in front of the band when dialed up. At any volume they are clean and precise with amazing bass.

I was not as impressed with them in a temporary smaller area 12x16 with more reflective surfaces even at low-moderate volume.
This was with a denon 2310 avr and also I was not able to position them idealy. I think overall they were just too much speaker for the room size.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the silver 10's can be set up very well in a smaller space, they just may be overkill.
As another person posted, with a larger space and amp, they can really open up and 'sing'.

Last edited by Shadowed; 08-03-2014 at 09:13 AM.
post #10272 of 10283 Old 08-03-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just hooked up all my speakers RX6, RX1 and RX center to a Denon 4311. Currently I have the RX6 and RX center set to Large in the receiver settings and the RX1 set to small. I have not yet run Audyssey and wont for a bit.

I was curious what other people have selected for there settings and if there are any other settings for these speakers I might have missed to change.

Thanks for any info
post #10273 of 10283 Old 08-03-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idreaminhd View Post
I just hooked up all my speakers RX6, RX1 and RX center to a Denon 4311. Currently I have the RX6 and RX center set to Large in the receiver settings and the RX1 set to small. I have not yet run Audyssey and wont for a bit.

I was curious what other people have selected for there settings and if there are any other settings for these speakers I might have missed to change.

Thanks for any info
I believe the general consensus is if you are using a sub then set all speakers to small.

The "Official" Denon AVR-4311CI/AVR-A100 thread [NO PRICE TALK]

A member by the name of Batpig had a very informative thread that covered a lot of these questions/issues. Not sure where it is right now but I can probably dig it up if you still require.
post #10274 of 10283 Old 08-03-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idreaminhd View Post

Thanks for any info
Try this link...

http://batpigworld.com/wp/
post #10275 of 10283 Old 08-05-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
Its a shame there are no demo speakers available for you to take home and try. The local shop here offered several speakers and amps to try at home.

I settled on the silver 10's and an anthem 2 channel amp for a downstairs area of 24x24 with 9' ceiling. I love the combination.
It can sound as if you are standing right in front of the band when dialed up. At any volume they are clean and precise with amazing bass.

I was not as impressed with them in a temporary smaller area 12x16 with more reflective surfaces even at low-moderate volume.
This was with a denon 2310 avr and also I was not able to position them idealy. I think overall they were just too much speaker for the room size.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the silver 10's can be set up very well in a smaller space, they just may be overkill.
As another person posted, with a larger space and amp, they can really open up and 'sing'.

Thanks for this, yeh, I'm starting to convince myself I'm being bass greedy. I'm sure the 8s will be more than good enough.
post #10276 of 10283 Old 08-05-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this, yeh, I'm starting to convince myself I'm being bass greedy. I'm sure the 8s will be more than good enough.
I hear you...

I get in the excessive bass mood with some genres and even robbed my velodyne sub from my surround system just to see how well they worked together. Sadly, the velodyne couldn't keep up and was no match for the 10's.

The Silver 8's are rated down to 32hz, the 10's are 30hz and the velodyne sub is 29hz (Impact 12). So between the 8's and 10's, you probably wouldn't notice any difference in a smaller room.

Last edited by Shadowed; 08-05-2014 at 04:12 PM.
post #10277 of 10283 Old 08-05-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 159
I'm currently auditioning some BX-2's in my living room and very much enjoying them I must admit. However one concern/question I have is that this would eventually be part of a 5.1 system. So this brings me to the BX Center and its off axis performance that some reviewers have commented on. I guess I'm trying to get a real world feel for how limiting its 20 deg sweet spot really is?

Anyone out there have any insight on the BX Center (or Silver Center actually since apparently it is of a very similar design) as compared to other center speaker designs?
post #10278 of 10283 Old 08-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Is anyone using a tube amp with the Gold or Platinum line of speakers ?

Trying to debate if a 75W/channel Mcintosh tube amp would be a good match.....

Thanks for any comments or info on this....

Shelly
post #10279 of 10283 Old 08-28-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly40 View Post
Is anyone using a tube amp with the Gold or Platinum line of speakers ?

Trying to debate if a 75W/channel Mcintosh tube amp would be a good match.....

Thanks for any comments or info on this....

Shelly
So jealous...
ambesolman likes this.
post #10280 of 10283 Old 08-29-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
So jealous...
Yes, I am using a Decware 40 watt tube amp and the GX300 speakers sound great with tubes. They also sound really good with my Musical Fidelity M6PRX SS amp but better with tubes. The 40 watts works but I could use a little more power or a preamp with some extra gain. The 75 tube watts should work great.

Lance
post #10281 of 10283 Old 08-31-2014, 07:19 AM

Liked: 1
Proud rookie MA owner open for sugestions

Hi guys,

got me a pair ov BX2 s' about a month ago and am very happy with them. They sound great and precise and they haven't broken in yet.

I am no expert and all i want is decent stereo sound on a budget.

I use my AVRs' DAC feading it data via HDMI from core I3 PC.

My question is what would be my next logical upgrade with biggest sound improvement in mind?

Should i go for external DAC instead?

My modest system for now is:

MA Bronze BX2
Pioneer VSX-323

Cheers!
lancelock likes this.
post #10282 of 10283 Old 08-31-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlaya View Post
Hi guys,

got me a pair ov BX2 s' about a month ago and am very happy with them. They sound great and precise and they haven't broken in yet.

I am no expert and all i want is decent stereo sound on a budget.

I use my AVRs' DAC feading it data via HDMI from core I3 PC.

My question is what would be my next logical upgrade with biggest sound improvement in mind?

Should i go for external DAC instead?

My modest system for now is:

MA Bronze BX2
Pioneer VSX-323

Cheers!
Congratulations and welcome to AVS.

It sounds like you have a great starter kit. The BX2's and the pioneer should be a good combo.

In my opinion, the biggest boost in performance/value right now would be the addition of a modest sub to help fill out the full range presence. The only problem with subs though is they are not conducive to having friendly neighbors.

I am not sure you would notice a substantial improvement by adding a dac at this stage. I would try to beg, borrow, or steal one to test first before jumping in.
Some shops have a 30 day return policy if not satisfied.

If you use decent quality audio files on your pc then the dac in the pioneer should be satisfactory. But your ears will know better than my assumptions.

Speaker positioning and room cosmetics can also affect the sound depending on the listening distance.

There is also a lot of good used gear for sale in the forums and various sites such as AdiogoN.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Shadowed; 08-31-2014 at 08:23 AM.
post #10283 of 10283 Old Today, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

PLC350 for sale in classifieds area.....excellent condition
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page