Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 357 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes
post #10681 of 10709 Old 03-17-2015, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post
Saying the SUb 1 is better than the Gold 15 is like saying a 2 million dollar ferrari is better than a 2005 toyota hatchback.

Quality is meaningless if it is not gauged against price.

Even by U.S pricing you will see the same as what I just saw when I goodled the prices.

The Sub 1 is $7999. The Monitor Audio Gold W15 is $3600, so they are no even comparable.

The Sub 2 is $15,999, against the $3600 Monitor Audio.

I have looked at REL and they seem extremely overpriced, with the largest of their subs being only 12" I think for an obscene amount of money. Velodyne also doesn't have a real presence in AUS and the last I heard anyone recommending them was more than 5 years ago, they seem to have dropped of the map compared to the competition.

The Martin Logan Balanceforce 210 is $4999 and the 212 is $5999, so they cost a lot more than the monitor audio sub, and are not comparable at all. I could buy 2 gold subs for the price of the latter, or two SVS PB13 Ultras.
I think you should go to this forum and ask your question there since most of the members there are local Australian

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/126?g=185

Most of us in this thread are from North America and UK, we really don't know about the market in Australia so we can only comment on what subwoofers will perform better than the Monitor Audio Subs (and the list is long long long...)

Don't get me wrong, I love Monitor Audio, setup a 5.1 system with RS6/RSLCR/RS1/RSW12 in 2007 then moved up to GS60/GSLCR/GS10/Martin Logan Descent in 2008 and still has the same setup since..if you pay attention, you will notice I changed from MA sub to another brand, the reason? simply because I was disappointed in its performance, I actually replaced RSW12 with Martin Logan Depth first and was impressed enough by it when I upgrade to GS, I opt for the larger Descent (and moved Depth to my 2 channel setup) and didn't look back (I was fortunate because Depth and Descent was been replaced by newer models so I bought them at incredible closed out price)

As far as GXS-15 is concern, it is not a bad performer, actually it is better than RSW-12 and GSW-12 and it could be had for about USD 2,000 here in the States, new, when on sale, even at this price, a lot of members here will still consider it over priced and could do much better with smaller budget, again, that's the situation for North America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10682 of 10709 Old 03-18-2015, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I appreciate the suggestion but I don't think there will be any point asking anyone for alternatives when I have yet to speak to a single person online who has heard the Gold W15 in order to have any basis for any comparison whatsoever.

So far suggetsions for 'better' subs have included subs that cost 200% to 600% more...and as long as we are removing the criteria of value from it, I might as well get some McIntosh monoblocks and some wilson audio speakers...as they too sound better than what I will be getting...because that is a reasonable suggestion it seems, given that price bracket comparisons are not being made.

What I am hearing is the same as what has being said in comparison to every other sub on the planet, svs owners say get svs ( disregarding price and availability ) and then you throw in a Paradigm Sub 2 at $15,000 and a suggestion to simply spend a thousand dollars on materials to build something I have no experience or comprehension of.

So far the only like-for-like, dollar-for-dollar comparisons I have heard are the svs sb13 ultra and the HSU ULS-15, and that is from my own research.

I think I'll just forget about it for now, it's that or buy a thousand dollars of workshop tools and space, buy a thousand dollars of parts and materials, and just learn basic electronics and engineering overnight to 'simply' build my own...that or win lottery and get the Paradigm Sub 2, McIntosh and Wilson Audio combo...cos it's better and stuff.

Last edited by dchalfont; 03-18-2015 at 04:16 AM.
post #10683 of 10709 Old 03-18-2015, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Get the svs that you said was in your price range and available to you. I've given stats for both and the svs is better.
post #10684 of 10709 Old 03-18-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:

I think I'll just forget about it for now, it's that or buy a thousand dollars of workshop tools and space, buy a thousand dollars of parts and materials, and just learn basic electronics and engineering overnight to 'simply' build my own...that or win lottery and get the Paradigm Sub 2, McIntosh and Wilson Audio combo...cos it's better and stuff.
Is sarcasm really necessary? Why are you obsessed with sealed sub? I guess you are not going to consider used market too then?

Buy what you like, after all, it is your money, if you believe GXW-15 is the best available choice for you, then good, it is by no mean a bad sub, just over priced here in North America when we have many other better and cheaper choices

It make me wonder if you really are here ask for advise or if you are simply here to have someone else agreeing with you to make you feel better and smart about buying GXW-15?
ambesolman and bthrb4u like this.
post #10685 of 10709 Old 03-18-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Not a chance, the amount of hours wasted of my free time researching, trial and error building, the hours of work to earn the money for the materials and parts, far exceeds the hundred hours of free time saved ( which could instead be used to earn money to buy a far better sub ).

If you have to spend more of your free time doing something, when you could have worked for less hours than the hours of free time spent...to buy something better, then the preceding act is redundant.

Eg. It takes 3 hours to mow your lawn and do the edges, but you can work for 1.5 hours to earn the money to pay someone else to spend 3 hours doing it....then the 1.5 hours is the only rational choice.

Point taken. Then just pay someone to build you a box, shouldn't cost more than a few hundred bucks. All you have to do is start a thread in the DIY section and tell them what you want.(20min and free) They'll practically give you a shopping list and tell you how big the box should be and what it'll be capable of so you can see if it's worth it to you. A car audio fabricator may be able to do it all for you.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
post #10686 of 10709 Old 03-18-2015, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Hey everyone - I've been a loyal Klipsch owner for many years, but I'm about to upgrade and I'm thinking of trying something different. Monitor audio seems to come up quite a bit and I've been looking at the Silver 10 Floor-standers and matching center. Unfortunately, only two dealers in town and they don't seem that interested in selling as they are by appointment only, which I can't seem to get. The reviews all sound great and the speakers look amazing, but my concern is the center - it's tiny in comparison to the towers and I'm concerned it won't be enough for my large room. The speakers will be powered by an Emotive XPA-5, paired with a Marantz SR7008, and I typically listen around -10 below reference. Can owners comment on how the center integrates with the towers, and if it has more punch that it looks?

Klipsch RF-62 II's, RC-62II, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #10687 of 10709 Old 03-18-2015, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there a big difference between these two for surround channel? They would be mated with BX5 towers and sub. For movies only, 4.1 setup.

Radius 45HD 120-20kHz

Radius 90 (new model) 80-35kHZ

Sure the BX1 would be as close match as can be, but i need it to be smaller. Some would also say C-CAM is bad for surround, it can be too noticeable? I can put one at my right side and one to left side back of me. Not optimal but it is the way it is.

Do i lose much info from the back channels if i go to Radius 45HD route? Price wice (200€ vs 450€ ) and BX1 about 300€.

Thanks!
post #10688 of 10709 Old 03-18-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
Is sarcasm really necessary? Why are you obsessed with sealed sub? I guess you are not going to consider used market too then?

Buy what you like, after all, it is your money, if you believe GXW-15 is the best available choice for you, then good, it is by no mean a bad sub, just over priced here in North America when we have many other better and cheaper choices

It make me wonder if you really are here ask for advise or if you are simply here to have someone else agreeing with you to make you feel better and smart about buying GXW-15?
I was looking for an objective comparison, of which I received none. Every suggestion was for subs that cost significantly more, or to build my own, both irrational suggestions considering I was asking for what was better at the same price range.

From the stats on the previous page it was stated that the Gold series w15 is at least on par with the SVS SB 13 Ultra...why would you go out of your way to get an alternate sub if it is only on par?

Why would I ask for approval of a sub I do not own, which you are claimed I have done?

I asked if anyone had heard the Gold 15 and I had suggestions for alternatives from people who had NEVER HEARD IT.

How can anyone claim to offer a valid opinion if their opinion is based entirely on hear-say, a total lack of personal experience, and offers a suggested alternative that is 3-6 times the price?

If you can't see that at every step each of those things is completely baseless, baiased, impractical and expensive, then that is your flaw of reasoning not mine.

If someone asked me to compare one thing to another, and I had no idea ( no experience, not just a baseless belief that it is true ) then I would have to say that they need to ask someone who has heard it in order to offer any valid comparison.

Even if no one has heard the Monitor Audio Gold W15 a simple suggestion of other subs in the same price bracket would have a direct and appropriate comparison, it's not my fault the suggestions did not take into consideration price...which made them all completely incomparable.

If I had asked for comparable 55" TVs and people started suggesting 4k projectors and 200" screens it would be exactly the same. $3k sub vs a Paradigm Sub 2 at $15,999 or simply learn to build one from scratch...

Last edited by dchalfont; 03-18-2015 at 09:02 PM.
post #10689 of 10709 Old 03-18-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I was looking for an objective comparison, of which I received none. Every suggestion was for subs that cost significantly more, or to build my own, both irrational suggestions considering I was asking for what was better at the same price range.
We simply give you a list of subwoofers that are better than GXW-15, as I stated, I am not from AU so I have no idea if those subs are available or how much they are selling for IT IS YOUR JOB TO DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH ON PRICING AND AVAILABILITY

HOW ON EARCH ARE WE SUPPOSE TO KNOW THOSE SUBS COST 3-6 TIMES MORE THAN GXW-15 IN AU??

Also, who is to say you wouldn't came upon a great deal on one of those 3-6 times more expensive subs??

Are you really that inept at analyze the suggestion given and form your own sounded judgement that you have to be pissed at those who only trying to help?

When I was subwoofer hunting back in 2007, I only had a budget of $800, bought a RSW-12, disappointed, sold it on ebay and with my budget, I was looking at subs such as Martin Logan Abyss and a couple other 12 inch subs that only goes down to 25-30Hz and was not much better than RSW-12, then someone mentioned that Martin Logan Depth and Desent are way way better than Abyss, if I was pissed like you when I see the MSRP for depth at $1800 and Descent at $2800, I wouldn't be able to land a great deal, $800 for a new Depth on close out and a year later, a new / open box descent for $1,200

Anyway, this thread might be some help to you if you don't mind buying from US, FYI, Hsu subwoofers has a switch that let you select 120v/60hz or 240v/50hz

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/t...woofer-anyone/
ambesolman likes this.

Last edited by justthinking; 03-18-2015 at 09:52 PM.
post #10690 of 10709 Old 03-18-2015, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Hey everyone - I've been a loyal Klipsch owner for many years, but I'm about to upgrade and I'm thinking of trying something different. Monitor audio seems to come up quite a bit and I've been looking at the Silver 10 Floor-standers and matching center. Unfortunately, only two dealers in town and they don't seem that interested in selling as they are by appointment only, which I can't seem to get. The reviews all sound great and the speakers look amazing, but my concern is the center - it's tiny in comparison to the towers and I'm concerned it won't be enough for my large room. The speakers will be powered by an Emotive XPA-5, paired with a Marantz SR7008, and I typically listen around -10 below reference. Can owners comment on how the center integrates with the towers, and if it has more punch that it looks?
Evaluating a center on "punch" isn't what you're looking for when evaluating a subwoofer. Sure it's great to timbre match them but centers main obligation is to vocals. Generally you'll cross them over at 80hz. I'vetruly never hear any information close to that coming out of my center. What iI can telll you about my center (not monitor audio) is that the lower midrange of male vocals comes out as boxy and seemingly a horrible crossover design. If that weren't enough, the vertical dispersion doesn't come off as being natura. I cam hear wjwhere the vocals are coming from
post #10691 of 10709 Old 03-19-2015, 04:09 AM

I'm not going to discuss it further but my last statement on the matter is that stating a "better alternative" that costs 2 to 5 times as much regardless of any other factors is ridiculous and redundant.

If someone asked "what is the best 55" tv for under $2k" And you had back to back responses all recommending $8000 4k projectors and 150" screens....rational alarm bells would sound, and it is no different here.

Stating a ferrari is better than a toyota hatchback is a pointless statement, especially when someone is in the market for a hatchback ( subwoofer in the same range as a Gold W15 ).

Back on topic...

I just built my speaker stands for my Gold 100s the top plate is the exact dimensions of the speaker, 90x90mm column and 400x400mm base. It will be topple proof even with 9.9kg on top of each...and my 2 cattle dogs who like to ram things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150319_215954.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	612393  

Last edited by dchalfont; 03-19-2015 at 04:18 AM.
post #10692 of 10709 Old 03-19-2015, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Back on topic...

I just built my speaker stands for my Gold 100s the top plate is the exact dimensions of the speaker, 90x90mm column and 400x400mm base. It will be topple proof even with 9.9kg on top of each...and my 2 cattle dogs who like to ram things.

So you vehemently scoff at the DIY sub because you think the idea is absurd, but you'll build your own speaker stands. Ok

post #10693 of 10709 Old 03-19-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
So you vehemently scoff at the DIY sub because you think the idea is absurd, but you'll build your own speaker stands. Ok

It costs $100 to build 4 speaker stands, literally 3 pieces per stand that they cut for me at the shop for free, and required no knowledge of engineering or electronics, if you think the 2 things are even slightly related then you have completely lost your mind.

I suppose putting some new RAM into a ram slot specifically shaped and designed and labelled for that one component alone is the same as designing and building a subwoofer?

You are an idiot.

Me:"I put some fuel in my car"

You: "Well if you can put fuel in your car you can buy thousands of dollars of materials, spend hundreds of hours researching and learning mechanics, electronics and engineering to build one with no prior knowledge"
post #10694 of 10709 Old 03-19-2015, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

you can't compare a speaker stand to DIY electronics, which many people doubt the quality or doubt any thing else.
post #10695 of 10709 Old 03-19-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
silver 10 has 4" midrange compare to the center with 6" mid-woofer.
I think you don't need to worry about the center and monitoraudio speakers are will engineered.
post #10696 of 10709 Old 03-19-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not going to discuss it further but my last statement on the matter is that stating a "better alternative" that costs 2 to 5 times as much regardless of any other factors is ridiculous and redundant.
What you exhibit is a prime example of confirmation bias and projection bias and it is preventing you from seeing things rationally

You were presented with a problem: What is the best subwoofer I can buy with my budget

Instead of having an open mind, explore all available venues, you quickly dismissed the idea of buying Paradigm, Martin Logan, REL, JL Audio, Velodyne subwoofers because you ASSUMED they are out of your price range based on perhaps a few seconds of google search and MSRP checking, did you even bother to do more research and find out what is the typical selling price not to mention if someone from your region recently bought any of these subs at insane deal price?

Don't you know what MSRP is? It is Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price, it is by no means an absolute value and sells price does vary

This info below is straight from Hsu Research's website:

HSU Research ULS-15 MSRP $1,899 Selling Price Typtically $1,299 On Sale $1,029

Even if we stood to your level and play the MSRP game

Monitor Audio GXW15 MSRP - $2,795

Martin Logan BalancedForce 210 MSRP - $2,995

Martin Logan BalancedForce 212 MSRP - $3,995

HSU Research ULS15 - MSRP $1,899

Rythmik F15HP - MSRP $1,299

JL Fathom F112 - MSRP $3,500

JL Fathom F113 - MSRP $4,300

These subs are not even 2x the MSRP of GXW15

Your comparison of Toyota to Ferrari is also poorly chosen, if anything, it is more like comparing Toyota to Lexus
ambesolman and bthrb4u like this.

Last edited by justthinking; 03-19-2015 at 10:08 AM.
post #10697 of 10709 Old 03-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Probably shouldn't post stuff when I'm drunk lol
post #10698 of 10709 Old 03-19-2015, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It costs $100 to build 4 speaker stands, literally 3 pieces per stand that they cut for me at the shop for free, and required no knowledge of engineering or electronics, if you think the 2 things are even slightly related then you have completely lost your mind.

I suppose putting some new RAM into a ram slot specifically shaped and designed and labelled for that one component alone is the same as designing and building a subwoofer?

You are an idiot.

Me:"I put some fuel in my car"

You: "Well if you can put fuel in your car you can buy thousands of dollars of materials, spend hundreds of hours researching and learning mechanics, electronics and engineering to build one with no prior knowledge"

1 4x8' sheet of mdf = $50
Your store cuts it into 8 24x24" pieces = free
1 bottle of wood glue or construction adhesive = $5
You obviously already have a drill and screws = free
Behringer iNuke 3000 = $230
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005DU...biL&ref=plSrch
12 awg speaker wire 50' = $24
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001UN...=AC_SX200_QL40
1 speakon connection for the box = $6.65
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00067...5C8W2B0W4Z8A7E
1 30' speakon cable from box to amp = $13
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E1...=AC_SX230_QL60
1 Dayton audio 18" woofer = $250

= $568.65

Or just buy the precut kit with instructions and sub = $355
+ other supplies ($278) = $633.65

If you complete the physical challenge of assembling the 12pc puzzle above, wrack your brain trying to decode this wiring diagram for inside the box

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426796232.515489.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	612785

Yeah, guess I'm an idiot for figuring it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1000i View Post
you can't compare a speaker stand to DIY electronics, which many people doubt the quality or doubt any thing else.

Sure is a shame some of those guys who've won HT of the month just have rooms full of homemade crap

post #10699 of 10709 Old 03-19-2015, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

post #10700 of 10709 Old 03-19-2015, 02:47 PM

Come on guys!

I love some DIY stuff but some time you have your own criteria with a price range to chose a product.
post #10701 of 10709 Old 03-19-2015, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post
Evaluating a center on "punch" isn't what you're looking for when evaluating a subwoofer. Sure it's great to timbre match them but centers main obligation is to vocals. Generally you'll cross them over at 80hz. I'vetruly never hear any information close to that coming out of my center. What iI can telll you about my center (not monitor audio) is that the lower midrange of male vocals comes out as boxy and seemingly a horrible crossover design. If that weren't enough, the vertical dispersion doesn't come off as being natura. I cam hear wjwhere the vocals are coming from
Maybe I wasn't specific enough in my original post; I'm in no way looking for the center to play the full spectrum of bass like a subwoofer, or want that. What I'm asking is, is it able to hold it's own compared to the Silver 10's and not get lost in the mix. The center channel is one of the most important speakers in HT, and based on the specs, the Silver Center is small in comparison to the mains and I'm also concerned that it's a 2-way design, when the mains are 3-way. I have a large room and need a center that can play loud. I need to make sure it can do this, and match the tonality of the mains.

Klipsch RF-62 II's, RC-62II, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #10702 of 10709 Old 03-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

You're fine. I had a few too many last night when I'dread it and commented. Last sentence ssaid punch so I'm guessing I went off that.
post #10703 of 10709 Old 03-20-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

*crickets*

Shadowed likes this.
post #10704 of 10709 Old 03-21-2015, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Most of the time you only use a handful of watts. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that for every 3db increase the power requirement doubles. So if you like to listen loudly, the amp may start to run out of power causing distortion. So if you listen and it doesn't sound distorted, you're fine. If it does, then you need more power. The only way to know is to try it.

Thanks for the advice guys on the GX's. They arrived a few days ago. Very happy with the sound. Definite upgrade on the Silver 6s.

Went with your amp advice. The A19 seems to work fine with no distortion as loudly as I'd care to listen to them. Saves me having to upgrade this year. Actually wondering if there is any point upgrading it at all - would the extra rated wattage give any noticable improvement to sound?
post #10705 of 10709 Old 03-21-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Monitor Audio Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenio View Post
Thanks for the advice guys on the GX's. They arrived a few days ago. Very happy with the sound. Definite upgrade on the Silver 6s.

Went with your amp advice. The A19 seems to work fine with no distortion as loudly as I'd care to listen to them. Saves me having to upgrade this year. Actually wondering if there is any point upgrading it at all - would the extra rated wattage give any noticable improvement to sound?

"The A19 seems to work fine with no distortion as loudly as I'd care to listen to them."
---doesn't look like it

Congrats, got any pics?

post #10706 of 10709 Old 03-21-2015, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wondering if anyone here has experience with the PMC series from the mid-90's? I searched this thread and found no discussion of it.

Lower left of this PDF: http://www.meridian-audio.info/public/566%5B1165%5D.pdf

I just picked up a pair of 705's on impulse and they sound incredible. The drivers have an actual gold anodization!

-Obsessive impulsive

Panasonic P50ST60
Sony PS-LX520 | Technics SA-AX530; SL-PD8 | Pioneer SX-450, 680, 828, and VSX-523
Paradigm 9SE; Monitor 3v2; PDR-10 | Snell E/II; E/III | Energy C-2 | Avid 101 | Polk Audio SDA 3.1TL | ADS L300C | Monitor Audio REF 705 PMC

Last edited by lawdogg; 03-22-2015 at 12:03 PM.
post #10707 of 10709 Old 03-21-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

My buddy actually has a bookshelf version that looks like it might be the same line and sounds pretty good.

post #10708 of 10709 Old 03-22-2015, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Does anyone own an Apex40 center channel? Or can anyone offer opinions on the silver center channel vs the apex40? I have a pair of silver 8s and want to upgrade my center. Space is an issue on top of screen. Thanks.
post #10709 of 10709 Unread Today, 09:22 PM

13 days till I have finished paying for my C350 centre and Gold 100s and I just ordered my first of 2 Gold W15s.

Will have a second pair of 100s in july and my 300s in time for christmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page