Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 358 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 46Likes
post #10711 of 10738 Unread 04-01-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarc8 View Post
Hi there,
Just wondering if it make sense. I'm currently using the SVS bookshelf 5.1 speakers and planning to upgrade my fronts speakers.
I'm planning to get a refurb Monitor Audio RS6 or a RS8 next week however, I will need a center speaker. My concern is that I won't be able to get a center speaker with similar color as the RS6/8.
I'm wondering if I can use the SVS center speaker (SCS-01) as my center channel?
Everything will be powered by a Pioneer Elite SC65 receiver and my subwoffer is the 1st generation SVS sub ISD-10.
Thanks for your input.

Nothing against the rs6/8, but why not just get SVS towers?

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 10738 Unread 04-03-2015, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What's the problem with getting a matching center out of curiosity?
post #10713 of 10738 Unread 04-03-2015, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post
What's the problem with getting a matching center out of curiosity?
To maintain a reasonably consistent timbre (sonic signature), which is important for front LRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10714 of 10738 Unread 04-04-2015, 03:54 AM

Hey guys, anyone using Onkyo 818 AVR to drive GX350? Is it sufficient or better to add better an amp like Parasound A23 on mono binding to drive it?

post #10715 of 10738 Unread 04-04-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktokape View Post
Hey guys, anyone using Onkyo 818 AVR to drive GX350? Is it sufficient or better to add better an amp like Parasound A23 on mono binding to drive it?

As long as it drives it to the levels you want without distorting you should be good. It's an 8ohm load so should be able to be driven by just about anything.

post #10716 of 10738 Unread 04-04-2015, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I meant why is he going to have a problem getting the matching center
post #10717 of 10738 Unread 04-04-2015, 09:16 AM

RS center is 2 generations behind current silver, before silver was RX series.

bthrb4u likes this.
post #10718 of 10738 Unread 04-04-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
As long as it drives it to the levels you want without distorting you should be good. It's an 8ohm load so should be able to be driven by just about anything.

Thanks for your reply, I will give it a try before looking further

post #10719 of 10738 Unread 04-07-2015, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If i need the Gold 350 centre speaker on a tv bench. How do i best tilt it up a little ? Is there a dedicated stand etc. for this ?
post #10720 of 10738 Unread 04-07-2015, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweElite View Post
If i need the Gold 350 centre speaker on a tv bench. How do i best tilt it up a little ? Is there a dedicated stand etc. for this ?

The dedicated stand is only 34cm tall...totally pointless in all scenarios.

You could build something to angle it up for a few dollars but as it is a 3 way centre with good off axis response ...angling it up might not be necessary.
post #10721 of 10738 Unread 04-08-2015, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi was wondering if anyone could help me please?

I have just purchased a pair of secondhand Monitor Audio Radius 90s which includes the wall brackets, but unfortuantly the wall bracket screws are missing from the back of the speakers and also a 30mm cap head bolt

I was wondering if i could get some replacements for these and if so please could someone direct me or send me the dimentions of the screws?

Kind Regards Anthony

Last edited by manuman24; 04-08-2015 at 10:09 AM.
post #10722 of 10738 Unread 04-08-2015, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What's the typical dealer markup before discounts these days? Anyone know? 30,40, 50%????
post #10723 of 10738 Unread 04-08-2015, 06:54 PM

Deal on some digms?

Quote:

Check out my latest post I just put on the paradigm thread. What do you think? I would replace my RX6s and the RX center and keep my RXFXs for surround duties.
post #10724 of 10738 Unread 04-08-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Monitor Audio Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
Check out my latest post I just put on the paradigm thread. What do you think? I would replace my RX6s and the RX center and keep my RXFXs for surround duties.

Certainly a better center and if you like the studio sound I say go for it. If you haven't heard them yet just know they're a little bit brighter than the rx, but they're killer speakers and still my favorite in the looks dept.

What finish are your rx6s in?

Last edited by ambesolman; 04-08-2015 at 09:26 PM.
post #10725 of 10738 Unread 04-09-2015, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuman24 View Post
Hi was wondering if anyone could help me please?

I have just purchased a pair of secondhand Monitor Audio Radius 90s which includes the wall brackets, but unfortuantly the wall bracket screws are missing from the back of the speakers and also a 30mm cap head bolt

I was wondering if i could get some replacements for these and if so please could someone direct me or send me the dimentions of the screws?

Kind Regards Anthony
anyone please?
post #10726 of 10738 Unread 04-09-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Certainly a better center and if you like the studio sound I say go for it. If you haven't heard them yet just know they're a little bit brighter than the rx, but they're killer speakers and still my favorite in the looks dept.

What finish are your rx6s in?

I actually auditioned the studios and the silver series before I purchased the silvers. To my ears, the 60s and RX6s sounded really similar. Almost the same. I went with the silvers bc the package cost was so much better. The silver surrounds are definitely better than the adp option, and I'll be keeping those.
post #10727 of 10738 Unread 04-09-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I actually auditioned the studios and the silver series before I purchased the silvers. To my ears, the 60s and RX6s sounded really similar. Almost the same. I went with the silvers bc the package cost was so much better. The silver surrounds are definitely better than the adp option, and I'll be keeping those.

How long have you had the MAs? Guess you're selling them?

post #10728 of 10738 Unread 04-09-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:

How long have you had the MAs? Guess you're selling them?

Two years is about how long I've had the silver fronts. Picked up the RXFXs much more recently. I'll be selling the RX6s and the center channel.

Last edited by tidwelr1; 04-09-2015 at 05:37 PM.
post #10729 of 10738 Unread 04-12-2015, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Visiting at hifi shop last week, and good news. New Bronze line is out in couple weeks. Next week you can go listen the new BX2 here in Europe. Other models coming in couple weeks. He didn`t tell me anything more tho..

BX1&2 and BX5 has had very good reviews, so it`s nice to see what have they come up to make them little bit better.
post #10730 of 10738 Unread 04-13-2015, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all,

I'm currently debating which set up would be a better transition for me... currently I have Bonze Series towers, the BX5's without a subwoofer... I know I'm looking for a pretty substantial upgrade but I'm not sure whether I should go with Gold Series 100 monitors with a separate dedicated subwoofer, or the Gold series towers without a subwoofer.

I like the idea of the smaller footprint that the speakers would have, at least visually with the monitors, and the dedicated subwoofer might give me the deeper bass range I've been looking for, but the Gold Series 200 Towers more than likely have mor than enough range for my needs and is far more familiar territory being that I've always owned tower speakers...

FYI, the subwoofer I'm interested in is the REL Habitat, and my listening room is not very large at 16 feet by 19 feet.

Any opinions and input on which would be a more comfortable transition would be greatly appreciated.
post #10731 of 10738 Unread 04-14-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead90 View Post
Hey all,

I'm currently debating which set up would be a better transition for me... currently I have Bonze Series towers, the BX5's without a subwoofer... I know I'm looking for a pretty substantial upgrade but I'm not sure whether I should go with Gold Series 100 monitors with a separate dedicated subwoofer, or the Gold series towers without a subwoofer.

I like the idea of the smaller footprint that the speakers would have, at least visually with the monitors, and the dedicated subwoofer might give me the deeper bass range I've been looking for, but the Gold Series 200 Towers more than likely have mor than enough range for my needs and is far more familiar territory being that I've always owned tower speakers...

FYI, the subwoofer I'm interested in is the REL Habitat, and my listening room is not very large at 16 feet by 19 feet.

Any opinions and input on which would be a more comfortable transition would be greatly appreciated.
I would look at the 100s and sub first. If the 200s are anything like my towers, they need a big room and treatment to get the most benefit from them. My room is 24x24 and the silver 10s effortlessly fill it with beautiful sound. They did not sound nearly as good in a smaller 11x16 untreated room.
You may be just as happy with the silver series as a jump up from the bronze.
What are your requirements ?

good: read forum members preferences and suggestions
better: go and audition as many speakers as you can
best: test them at home on a trial basis

Last edited by Shadowed; 04-14-2015 at 05:48 PM.
post #10732 of 10738 Unread 04-14-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
I would look at the 100s and sub first. If the 200s are anything like my towers, they need a big room and treatment to get the most benefit from them. My room is 24x24 and the silver 10s effortlessly fill it with beautiful sound. They did not sound nearly as good in a smaller 11x16 untreated room.
You may be just as happy with the silver series as a jump up from the bronze.
What are your requirements ?

good: read forum members preferences and suggestions
better: go and audition as many speakers as you can
best: test them at home on a trial basis
Hey thanks a lot for the input, you're kind of right on the money for what I was thinking... As far as my needs for content, these are intended to be everyday television speakers, miniature home theater speakers, and music listening speakers, so I'm looking for something that is highly versatile. although I didn't mention it, I was highly concerned about the amount of space the gold 200's require.

The silvers are great speakers... I auditioned them once a while ago, I'm sure if I pick some up I'll be very happy with them but cosmetically I think my girlfriend would be happier with the Gold Series in living room as opposed to the silvers. not that the Silvers are unattractive but they don't think they have the same aesthetic draw the Gold Series has. secondly if I'm going to make the upgrade right now, I'd rather invest in speakers that I think I will be able to grow with over the long term a little bit better. knowing myself, a couple of years down the line I'll be looking for an excuse to go for the Gold Series or even platinum.I also really like the fact that Monitor Audio just did a refresh on the Gold Series design. Lastly I've just heard too many unbelievable things about that ribbon tweeter to resist. what I'd really like to do is find a place to audition them but for some reason it's almost impossible to find here in New York City of all places!

Sde note I'd love to know if anyone has picked up any speakers from the new Gold Series lineup. any feedback on difference would be greatly appreciated and I love to see some photos or videos.

Cheers!!
Shadowed likes this.
post #10733 of 10738 Unread 04-14-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Hey thanks a lot for the input, you're kind of right on the money for what I was thinking... As far as my needs for content, these are intended to be everyday television speakers, miniature home theater speakers, and music listening speakers, so I'm looking for something that is highly versatile. although I didn't mention it, I was highly concerned about the amount of space the gold 200's require.

The silvers are great speakers... I auditioned them once a while ago, I'm sure if I pick some up I'll be very happy with them but cosmetically I think my girlfriend would be happier with the Gold Series in living room as opposed to the silvers. not that the Silvers are unattractive but they don't think they have the same aesthetic draw the Gold Series has. secondly if I'm going to make the upgrade right now, I'd rather invest in speakers that I think I will be able to grow with over the long term a little bit better. knowing myself, a couple of years down the line I'll be looking for an excuse to go for the Gold Series or even platinum.I also really like the fact that Monitor Audio just did a refresh on the Gold Series design. Lastly I've just heard too many unbelievable things about that ribbon tweeter to resist. what I'd really like to do is find a place to audition them but for some reason it's almost impossible to find here in New York City of all places!

Sde note I'd love to know if anyone has picked up any speakers from the new Gold Series lineup. any feedback on difference would be greatly appreciated and I love to see some photos or videos.

Cheers!!
My Gold speakers still haven't arrived, 3 weeks and I will have pics of the 100, c350 and the W15 and feedback.

The wait is killing me.
post #10734 of 10738 Unread 04-14-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post
My Gold speakers still haven't arrived, 3 weeks and I will have pics of the 100, c350 and the W15 and feedback.

The wait is killing me.
awesome news, I feel your pain! Please do report back with your first impressions, and pictures / videos would be much much appreciated! Question for you though, is this your first endeavor with Monitor Audio or have you ownd speakers from this company before? Also what made you feel it was necessary to go for the center channel? debating the same myself and I've actually been toying with the notion of using monitors shadow series as a center channel from my system... Space consumption of audio gear is of large importance my equation and it may be a viable solution hopefully...
post #10735 of 10738 Unread 04-15-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
awesome news, I feel your pain! Please do report back with your first impressions, and pictures / videos would be much much appreciated! Question for you though, is this your first endeavor with Monitor Audio or have you ownd speakers from this company before? Also what made you feel it was necessary to go for the center channel? debating the same myself and I've actually been toying with the notion of using monitors shadow series as a center channel from my system... Space consumption of audio gear is of large importance my equation and it may be a viable solution hopefully...
Well the tonal/timbe matching of the speakers is important, especially across the front for seamless pans across them as the action moves or as you move around in games.

My setup will be for music ( 2 channel, multichannel, live blu rays ), movies and games.

Space for the centre can easily be fixed with a cheap stand you can build yourself for a few dollars which you can put in front of the tv cabinet.

Personally I built a new stand for the television which I put behind the TV stand to make room for the centre. The stand is elevated so the centre doesn't obscure the screen and is just the size of the TV base.

I upgraded from a 7.2 system and wanted to upgrade every aspect possible. Getting a 3 way centre is a big upgrade over the smaller 2 way C150 for mid range sounds which are absolutely crucial to vocals on the centre channel and the 3 way design greatly improves off axis response. My GF who sits in a seat to the side of centre got a massive decrease in volume and sound quality with my old 2 way centre so for me the extra money was not an issue.

If it came down to it and I had to choose I would probably take the Gold 200's or even the 100's with a C350 rather than take Gold 300's with the C150 centre...I really can't understate how important the centre channel is for a multipurpose system.

I will take lots of pictures and hopefully a few videos.

#Edit

Also yes, this is my first time with monior audio. I came to them when googling the things I was unhappy with, with my old system. Which came down to be brightness and fatigue from metal dome tweeters. Honestly if I couldn't get the monitor audio gold with their amazing ribbon tweeters to alleviate my greatest complaint about my old system...then I probably wouldn't have upgraded. If I was not concerned about the metal domes I would have bought Paradigm Monitors from the next bracket down over the Monitor Audio silvers...There is a slight difference in quality but the Paradigm Monitors are literally half price...also the silver range only has a 2 way centre which was a big no-no, they should have had a 3 way option.

Last edited by dchalfont; 04-15-2015 at 06:49 AM.
post #10736 of 10738 Unread Today, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Hifi View Post
Visiting at hifi shop last week, and good news. New Bronze line is out in couple weeks. Next week you can go listen the new BX2 here in Europe. Other models coming in couple weeks. He didn`t tell me anything more tho..

BX1&2 and BX5 has had very good reviews, so it`s nice to see what have they come up to make them little bit better.
For a 5.1 setup, how's the current Bronze BX1 performance vs. the Radius 90 for fronts? Radius look sleeker but Bronze price is better.

I'm planning a basic 5.1 system under $2,000 mainly for movies/gaming and occasional music listening on a small enclosed den. For the sub, I'm considering something like an SVS SB1000 or PB1000. No acoustic treatment and will hopefully furnitures can absorb all the potential echoes.

By the way, I saw some photos of the new Bronze and looks like they are using a similar woofer design as the current Silvers.
post #10737 of 10738 Unread Today, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Radius are satellite speakers, BX1 are bookshelf. BX1 has bigger driver so go for that. BX1 go lower in bass. BX1 have higher sensitivity as well 83 versus 88 dB, that is a lot

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #10738 of 10738 Unread Today, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_kills View Post
For a 5.1 setup, how's the current Bronze BX1 performance vs. the Radius 90 for fronts? Radius look sleeker but Bronze price is better.

I'm planning a basic 5.1 system under $2,000 mainly for movies/gaming and occasional music listening on a small enclosed den. For the sub, I'm considering something like an SVS SB1000 or PB1000. No acoustic treatment and will hopefully furnitures can absorb all the potential echoes.

By the way, I saw some photos of the new Bronze and looks like they are using a similar woofer design as the current Silvers.
Hi! Where did you see the new pics? I have been talking straight to monitor audio uk. I can give some info about the new Bronze series which is going to be called B i guess.

Monitor Audio Bronze B 2015

New Bronze range will include B1, B2, B5, B6, centre, FX and W10.

Colours i know are going to be Black, Walnut, White, and one more.. I think they still are vinyl wrapped, but BX looks decent, so..

We are expecting the range to be available around the end of May, although we cannot guarantee all finishes in all models will be available at the same time.

They should release the pics and specs soon. At europe the B2 is going to be 80€ more, than BX2. But if you buy whole package you can get discount surely.

Radius90 (new one) was tested in my country some time ago, and it got very good review. But sensitivy is very low, you need power. And you have to buy smallish Radius center too, not good. BX Centre much better!! Sure the Radius looks little bit better, but i would go the new Bronze line which is coming soon. I think B2 is going to use 6,5" bass/mid driver as BX2, but reading reviews and tests it sounds very good with BX centre. Centre has 2x5,25" drivers, so B1 is going to match straight with same size drivers and i guess it will be easy to drive for AVR as is the BX line. (8ohm and high sensitivy). Either one is going to suit your budget.

Option is to buy B1 front, B Center, B1 at back or FX. Or 5x B1 and sub. If you listen music then buy B2 L/R and Center!! BX2 was so much better than BX1. I have BX5 and BK Electronics sub 10" closed. Couple of months and im going to check SVS/XTZ subs to update. Speakers are important, but please don`t save money in sub. Buy the best you can straight away, 10" closed for movies isn`t cutting it. PB1000 is big one with reflex. If you have smallish room, SB2000 is going to be one hell of a choice. And easier to get working good. Sure if have you have the room and nice neighbours, then PB is the way to go. And with SB you can get it white and it really is smallish, but amazing sub at 700€. Check these out:

https://www.avforums.com/review/svs-...r-review.10395

http://www.digitaltrends.com/subwoof...b-2000-review/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba