Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 359 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 47Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10741 of 10758 Old 04-22-2015, 03:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinKY View Post
I received my much anticipated MA Silver 2s yesterday. My custom installer is doing a lot of work including wiring and a Control 4 setup, so he has a lot of work to do before the speakers can be connected. He left a bunch of my hardware as well as the speakers here and told me I could go ahead and open the speakers if I wanted to check them out. Of course they look awesome in piano black.

Today, I was about to throw out the box they came in when I noticed it's marked Silver RX2. I checked the MA website and sure enough, he gave me the RX model with the "silver bullet" in the speaker cone. I called my guy and he said, yeah I gave you the RX model. He claims MA told him the new "non-RX" version is exactly the same as the RX model spec wise and the change is just about the name for marketing reasons. He says MA offered him several of the RX at a discount promising the newer version was no different. My agreement was to buy Silver 2s with no discussion of discounting for an older model, although there is a general discount of 15% on the entire job (again, this discount is not related to the speaker model).

Now, of course I'm upset at feeling like I was promised one thing and got another, but that's a separate issue I'll work out with him.

What do you guys think of his claim that the model change is only in name alone? Obviously, the cone design is different aesthetically. Is it also sonically different? Should I demand that I get the newer Silver 2? If so, I would like to point at a definitive reason why as presumably an authorized dealer knows more about his product than me. I would like proof to back up my demand. I can't find anything online to specifically dispute or uphold his claim. I have contacted MA, but it was right at 5 pm there at the time so I don't expect a reply before tomorrow (if at all).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Silver2 sounds better than RX2, you can google it easily. There is some updates yes. They took something from the GX line etc.. Check these:

http://www.technologytell.com/homete...ries-speakers/

http://www.whathifi.com/news/monitor...eries-speakers

@ Avforum Dav1DF (well known hifist)says:

Just running ours in, but from what I've heard so far, they're quite a step up from the RX series. There seems to have been more attention paid to the cabinet, as the bass is more 'dead' and precise, with far less attention drawn to the speaker. They sound more holographic and three dimensional, and project forward much better than the RX.

For me, these are quite a step up, and the likes of the Silver 1 joins one of the few speakers under £1k that I'd lay money down on - the Q Acoustics Concept 20, the new ATC SCM7, and the KEF LS50 being the pick of the rest.



You have to get those new Silvers!!
Mr_Hifi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10742 of 10758 Old 04-22-2015, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinKY View Post
I received my much anticipated MA Silver 2s yesterday. My custom installer is doing a lot of work including wiring and a Control 4 setup, so he has a lot of work to do before the speakers can be connected. He left a bunch of my hardware as well as the speakers here and told me I could go ahead and open the speakers if I wanted to check them out. Of course they look awesome in piano black.

Today, I was about to throw out the box they came in when I noticed it's marked Silver RX2. I checked the MA website and sure enough, he gave me the RX model with the "silver bullet" in the speaker cone. I called my guy and he said, yeah I gave you the RX model. He claims MA told him the new "non-RX" version is exactly the same as the RX model spec wise and the change is just about the name for marketing reasons. He says MA offered him several of the RX at a discount promising the newer version was no different. My agreement was to buy Silver 2s with no discussion of discounting for an older model, although there is a general discount of 15% on the entire job (again, this discount is not related to the speaker model).

Now, of course I'm upset at feeling like I was promised one thing and got another, but that's a separate issue I'll work out with him.

What do you guys think of his claim that the model change is only in name alone? Obviously, the cone design is different aesthetically. Is it also sonically different? Should I demand that I get the newer Silver 2? If so, I would like to point at a definitive reason why as presumably an authorized dealer knows more about his product than me. I would like proof to back up my demand. I can't find anything online to specifically dispute or uphold his claim. I have contacted MA, but it was right at 5 pm there at the time so I don't expect a reply before tomorrow (if at all).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Well, considering the RX series was closed out a few months ago and all the models were available at substantial discounts (30-40% off list price), if he's providing you with the RX model instead of the newer Silver 2 model, then you should be getting a BIG discount as well.

As for the comments about them being the same, that's BS. I'm not saying there is a huge improvement, but there are subtle but real differences, and no way would Monitor Audio say they sounded the same. That goes entirely against their marketing campaign for the new series.

Semi-retired Technology Insider.
Insist on Quality Posting.
beaveav is offline  
post #10743 of 10758 Old 04-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovinKY View Post
What do you guys think of his claim that the model change is only in name alone? Obviously, the cone design is different aesthetically. Is it also sonically different? Should I demand that I get the newer Silver 2? If so, I would like to point at a definitive reason why as presumably an authorized dealer knows more about his product than me. I would like proof to back up my demand. I can't find anything online to specifically dispute or uphold his claim. I have contacted MA, but it was right at 5 pm there at the time so I don't expect a reply before tomorrow (if at all).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Based on what you just mentioned, you should definitely ask for either a big discount or a replacement.

In my case, I was aware about the new Golds when the dealer offered their GX 5.1 demo set. I was supposed to get the new Silvers when I visited. But with a very substantial discount, I decided to go for the higher line GX instead even if it will be phased out soon.
speed_kills is offline  
post #10744 of 10758 Old 04-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Hifi View Post
Hi! Where did you see the new pics? I have been talking straight to monitor audio uk. I can give some info about the new Bronze series which is going to be called B i guess.



Radius90 (new one) was tested in my country some time ago, and it got very good review. But sensitivy is very low, you need power. And you have to buy smallish Radius center too, not good. BX Centre much better!! Sure the Radius looks little bit better, but i would go the new Bronze line which is coming soon. I think B2 is going to use 6,5" bass/mid driver as BX2, but reading reviews and tests it sounds very good with BX centre. Centre has 2x5,25" drivers, so B1 is going to match straight with same size drivers and i guess it will be easy to drive for AVR as is the BX line. (8ohm and high sensitivy). Either one is going to suit your budget.

Option is to buy B1 front, B Center, B1 at back or FX. Or 5x B1 and sub. If you listen music then buy B2 L/R and Center!! BX2 was so much better than BX1. I have BX5 and BK Electronics sub 10" closed. Couple of months and im going to check SVS/XTZ subs to update. Speakers are important, but please don`t save money in sub. Buy the best you can straight away, 10" closed for movies isn`t cutting it. PB1000 is big one with reflex. If you have smallish room, SB2000 is going to be one hell of a choice. And easier to get working good. Sure if have you have the room and nice neighbours, then PB is the way to go. And with SB you can get it white and it really is smallish, but amazing sub at 700€. Check these out:

https://www.avforums.com/review/svs-...r-review.10395

http://www.digitaltrends.com/subwoof...b-2000-review/






A friend showed me a PDF file with some photos of the upcoming Bronze. I only took a quick glance but noticed that woofer design looks more like the new Silvers.

Thanks for the analysis especially Radius power requirements. I'm planning a basic 5.1 setup for a den/library and since it's a public area, I'm looking at a speaker design that can integrate well with the furniture (will be using Golds in my main setup).
speed_kills is offline  
post #10745 of 10758 Old 04-23-2015, 04:56 AM
Member
 
astralsfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milwaukee,WI
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Sliver 8's with matching center. Right now, I have an Onkyo 809 pushing them. Im ready for a new receiver, really thinking about the Yamaha RX-2040. Anyone using one of these new Yamaha receivers can give any input would be very helpful.
astralsfire is offline  
post #10746 of 10758 Old 04-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Member
 
raksun9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need Help in identifying my speakers. The back plate does not say which model. I bought them used and they sound pretty good. Here are the pictures. Any help from fellow owners of Monitor Audio speakers or those who know is much appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor_rear.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	682409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Center_spkr.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	682417   Click image for larger version

Name:	center_rear.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	682425   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor_spkr.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	682433  
raksun9 is offline  
post #10747 of 10758 Old 04-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Newbie
 
sddale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksun9 View Post
Need Help in identifying my speakers. The back plate does not say which model. I bought them used and they sound pretty good. Here are the pictures. Any help from fellow owners of Monitor Audio speakers or those who know is much appreciated. Thanks
They are Golds as identified on the sticker above the serial number. Nice speakers.
sddale is offline  
post #10748 of 10758 Old 04-23-2015, 02:53 PM
Member
 
raksun9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddale View Post
They are Golds as identified on the sticker above the serial number. Nice speakers.
Thanks for the quick reply. Should they normally have a model number like GX300 GX350 etc. I am assuming the 1944 is a serial number. I do not find this on the center channel though.
raksun9 is offline  
post #10749 of 10758 Old 04-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So...been looking at the silver line...where is the best place to buy these bad boys?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Millinium is offline  
post #10750 of 10758 Old 04-23-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
beaveav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksun9 View Post
Need Help in identifying my speakers. The back plate does not say which model. I bought them used and they sound pretty good. Here are the pictures. Any help from fellow owners of Monitor Audio speakers or those who know is much appreciated. Thanks
Yes, those are Gold series speakers, possibly the Gold Reference (GR) 60 tower and GR-LCR from around the year 2000-2004. Or perhaps the Gold series that came before that, in the late 1990s.

If you show some pictures of the drivers (ie, the speakers without the grills), I can probably tell you better what they are.

Edit: in the first picture, where it shows Gold and 1944, what does it say next to the word Gold? I can't see it because the speaker wire is blocking it.

Semi-retired Technology Insider.
Insist on Quality Posting.
beaveav is offline  
post #10751 of 10758 Old 04-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Member
 
tidwelr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millinium View Post
So...been looking at the silver line...where is the best place to buy these bad boys?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im getting ready to list my silver RX black gloss speakers for sale. I have near mint RX6s and an RX center in black gloss available. Not sure which ones you were after but you would definitely be getting a better deal than new ones. I'm looking for $1500 for the three. They are packaged up already as if they left the factory in original factory boxes, etc. The best part is they are broken in. The RX6s were Stereophile b list speakers which is saying something. Prefer local pickup. Where are you located?
ambesolman likes this.

Equipment: Marantz SR7005, Oppo BDP 80, HPC HP10 Power Conditioner, Xbox 360
SP: Coming Soon: Paradigm Studio 100s, CC-690, (black gloss)
SP: Current: Monitor Audio RX6s, RX center, RXFXs, (black gloss), HSU VTF3-MK4
tidwelr1 is offline  
post #10752 of 10758 Old 04-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
Im getting ready to list my silver RX black gloss speakers for sale. I have near mint RX6s and an RX center in black gloss available. Not sure which ones you were after but you would definitely be getting a better deal than new ones. I'm looking for $1500 for the three. They are packaged up already as if they left the factory in original factory boxes, etc. The best part is they are broken in. The RX6s were Stereophile b list speakers which is saying something. Prefer local pickup. Where are you located?
I'm in Ohio. That would be a pretty decent deal! Not sure if I want to go floors or bookshelfs yet!
Millinium is offline  
post #10753 of 10758 Old 04-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Member
 
tidwelr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millinium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
Im getting ready to list my silver RX black gloss speakers for sale. I have near mint RX6s and an RX center in black gloss available. Not sure which ones you were after but you would definitely be getting a better deal than new ones. I'm looking for $1500 for the three. They are packaged up already as if they left the factory in original factory boxes, etc. The best part is they are broken in. The RX6s were Stereophile b list speakers which is saying something. Prefer local pickup. Where are you located?
I'm in Ohio. That would be a pretty decent deal! Not sure if I want to go floors or bookshelfs yet!
i can ship them via FedEx ground with insurance but I would have to add the shipping costs. Still cheaper than sales tax I would think.
tidwelr1 is offline  
post #10754 of 10758 Old 04-23-2015, 05:05 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
i can ship them via FedEx ground with insurance but I would have to add the shipping costs. Still cheaper than sales tax I would think.
Ill think about it...but Im going to shop around first. Thanks!
Millinium is offline  
post #10755 of 10758 Old 04-26-2015, 06:22 AM
Senior Member
 
dchalfont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Right now I am considering getting either the Anthem MCA 20 for my gold 300s when they arrive and then the MCA 50 for the rest.

My other option which an leaning more towards is the Rotel RB-1582 mkII for the fronts and either the RB-1555 or RB1585 for the rest.

The anthems are 200wpc for the fronts and 180 fpr the rest but are rated at 1%THD....so maybe 180/160 watts of real power.

The rotels are 200wpc for the front and 120 or 200 respectively for the 1555 and 1585.
All rated at 0.03%THD.

Is this a good match for the gold seriea, is it overkill?, would a power amp for the fronts and a top of the line receiver for the centre and 4 surrounds be enough?

I've been researching power amps and looking at prices for a few months and it has really come down to only these 2 options. Emotiva is not an option.
dchalfont is offline  
post #10756 of 10758 Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by astralsfire View Post
I have the Sliver 8's with matching center. Right now, I have an Onkyo 809 pushing them. Im ready for a new receiver, really thinking about the Yamaha RX-2040. Anyone using one of these new Yamaha receivers can give any input would be very helpful.
I have the 8's with the 2040 now. Had for a few months. Happy with them but made the mistake of listening to the gold 10s and now want to return them. Bass on their own is a little lacking but I have an SVS PB Ultra that makes up for it. Detail is nice, adjusted the EQ inside the Yamaha to bring out a little more in the highs and now sounds good. The imaging on the Golds was amazing, big difference from the silvers. The Yamaha is fine just I think there is an issue with the Dolby Atmos when you select it, the volume and clarity goes way down.
Krettas is offline  
post #10757 of 10758 Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 4,862
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krettas View Post
I have the 8's with the 2040 now. Had for a few months. Happy with them but made the mistake of listening to the gold 10s and now want to return them. Bass on their own is a little lacking but I have an SVS PB Ultra that makes up for it. Detail is nice, adjusted the EQ inside the Yamaha to bring out a little more in the highs and now sounds good. The imaging on the Golds was amazing, big difference from the silvers. The Yamaha is fine just I think there is an issue with the Dolby Atmos when you select it, the volume and clarity goes way down.
You need a better amp

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
fatbottom is online now  
post #10758 of 10758 Old Today, 02:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krettas View Post
I have the 8's with the 2040 now. Had for a few months. Happy with them but made the mistake of listening to the gold 10s and now want to return them. Bass on their own is a little lacking but I have an SVS PB Ultra that makes up for it. Detail is nice, adjusted the EQ inside the Yamaha to bring out a little more in the highs and now sounds good. The imaging on the Golds was amazing, big difference from the silvers. The Yamaha is fine just I think there is an issue with the Dolby Atmos when you select it, the volume and clarity goes way down.
yamaha is good only in stereo, but when you chose multichannel the power will drop to only 40 watt/ channel.
So, yoo need an extra amp
w1000i is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off