Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 362 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 53Likes
post #10831 of 10846 Old 06-30-2015, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You can get the Gold 300s for slightly less than a pair of PL100s.

There is no way I would buy the PL 100 when you consider that.

The platinum line came out in 2007 and as such it is 2007 tech. The new golds are 2015 models and come with many expected improvements.

At the time the GX gold line came out in 2011 monitor audio advertised them as "75% of the performance of the platinum line, at 50% of the price". With the new gold line being even better than the GX I think you made the right choice.

I have 2 pairs of Gold 100s and am very happy with them.

For me I had to prioritise the speakers before amplification so I can only imagine what they will sound like with a good amp.

Last edited by dchalfont; 06-30-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10832 of 10846 Old 06-30-2015, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks dchalfont - that gives me the time to prioritise on other areas of the system now, such as cables and supports, instead of thinking about moving to the PL range.

saarnold
post #10833 of 10846 Old 07-08-2015, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Expecting delivery of a pair of MA Gold 200s in piano black today. My Silver 10s are listed on Craigslist and eBay for local pickup.
post #10834 of 10846 Old 07-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
would you guys please recommend me an amp for my GS20? I don't mind use a two or three channel amp around $1500. using a Marantz sr7008 for now.
thx!
post #10835 of 10846 Old 07-09-2015, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohrbrcko View Post
Expecting delivery of a pair of MA Gold 200s in piano black today. My Silver 10s are listed on Craigslist and eBay for local pickup.
Amazing, I have Gold 300s coming, but I won't have them for a month.

I am interested to see how much better they are than my gold 100s.
post #10836 of 10846 Old 07-09-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post

I think I am done with upgrading speakers now. I will live happily ever after with the Gold 200s. They are a sharp looking speaker..lots of personality. The imaging is fabulous. I won't necessarily go on the record and say they are X times better than the Silvers as the 10s are much larger than the 200s and so they offer a different audio experience. Plus, I have not broken in the 200s yet. Heck, only listen to one CD yesterday. So it is hard for me to compare. The 200s are a much better fit for my listening room. By the way, my speakers came directly from Kevro verses the actual dealer. If you want the 300s sooner, you may want to contact my dealer, Sound Advice, and ask for Scott. I was going to go through Crutchfield but they do not have the golds in stock yet.
post #10837 of 10846 Old 07-09-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohrbrcko View Post
Quote:

I think I am done with upgrading speakers now. I will live happily ever after with the Gold 200s. They are a sharp looking speaker..lots of personality. The imaging is fabulous. I won't necessarily go on the record and say they are X times better than the Silvers as the 10s are much larger than the 200s and so they offer a different audio experience. Plus, I have not broken in the 200s yet. Heck, only listen to one CD yesterday. So it is hard for me to compare. The 200s are a much better fit for my listening room. By the way, my speakers came directly from Kevro verses the actual dealer. If you want the 300s sooner, you may want to contact my dealer, Sound Advice, and ask for Scott. I was going to go through Crutchfield but they do not have the golds in stock yet.
My dealer has them in stock, it will take me a month to pay them off though.

I have had major problems with the supply of my other items though...

I bought the gold 100s as surrounds but have been using them as fronts while I have been waiting for my gold 300s.

My old speakers weren't up to the same standard as the silver 10s...that's for sure. But I have been amazed with the performance of them considering my old speakers were large 3 ways with 8" bass drivers and a 13cm mid, while the 100 has a single 6.5" driver. The bass is mindblowing for a surround speaker, so good that it could easily function as a front when paired with a sub.

My sub which has been delayed so many times ( ordered on 26th of march.... ) will be here on thursday so I will be crossing over my 100s at 80hz. Despite he crossover, which I will use on my 300s as well, I think I will be pleased.

You should get a sub for your 200s, even for 2 channel music.
post #10838 of 10846 Old 07-09-2015, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Crossover frequencies

I need some input. I recently purchased some Monitor Audio Bronze series speakers and ran Audyssey last night. I have an old Onkyo 705 with Audyssey MultEQ XT. Audyssey came back with the following crossovers set:

Bronze Center-70Hz
Bronze 6 Fronts-Full Band
Bronze 1 Rears-70Hz
Outlaw LFM-1Ex-100Hz

Speaker Frequency Responses are:
Bronze Center-60Hz-30kHz
Bronze 6 Fronts-34Hz-30kHz
Bronze 1 Rears-55Hz-30Khz
Outlaw LFM-1Ex-30Hz-180Hz (I have one port plugged)

Are these crossovers set correctly? I mean, when I had my old Infinitys I ran everything at 80Hz. Should I set the crossover frequency for the Bronze 6towers to 80Hz and let the sub do the bass management? I purchased larger towers to get both bass and treble. Would the Double Bass function send low frequencies to both the front towers and sub? Would this be beneficial? From what I've read people suggest not using Double Bass function and also suggest changing the towers crossover so the sub does all the bass management. Any input would be appreciated.
THanks
post #10839 of 10846 Old 07-09-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
My dealer has them in stock, it will take me a month to pay them off though.

I have had major problems with the supply of my other items though...

I bought the gold 100s as surrounds but have been using them as fronts while I have been waiting for my gold 300s.

My old speakers weren't up to the same standard as the silver 10s...that's for sure. But I have been amazed with the performance of them considering my old speakers were large 3 ways with 8" bass drivers and a 13cm mid, while the 100 has a single 6.5" driver. The bass is mindblowing for a surround speaker, so good that it could easily function as a front when paired with a sub.

My sub which has been delayed so many times ( ordered on 26th of march.... ) will be here on thursday so I will be crossing over my 100s at 80hz. Despite he crossover, which I will use on my 300s as well, I think I will be pleased.

You should get a sub for your 200s, even for 2 channel music.
I am using an SVS PB-2000 Sub in my system. It is a beast - rather large and heavy. It is pictured on the right. The Gold 200s are the mains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150708_180358.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	821730  
post #10840 of 10846 Old 07-16-2015, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The low height of my RS6's were driving me crazy. So I had a wood crafter make me some 6" high risers. He did a great job and they look great. They are made out of 3/4" solid oak and I had them stained black, as I am having the RS6's painted black as well. (The cherry veneer isn't working in my room) Also, a 1" hole was drilled in the tops so I could fill them with sand.

Then I just took the original bases off the RS6 and mounted them on the risers. Used some blu tacky putty between the speakers and the risers. The soundstage is much improved and I'm so glad to have those great drivers higher off the floor and now projecting above the arms of my couch and love seat. Huge difference imho. Heres a pic of how they turned out...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	833362
ohrbrcko and ambesolman like this.
post #10841 of 10846 Old 07-17-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechx View Post
The low height of my RS6's were driving me crazy. So I had a wood crafter make me some 6" high risers. He did a great job and they look great. They are made out of 3/4" solid oak and I had them stained black, as I am having the RS6's painted black as well. (The cherry veneer isn't working in my room) Also, a 1" hole was drilled in the tops so I could fill them with sand.

Then I just took the original bases off the RS6 and mounted them on the risers. Used some blu tacky putty between the speakers and the risers. The soundstage is much improved and I'm so glad to have those great drivers higher off the floor and now projecting above the arms of my couch and love seat. Huge difference imho. Heres a pic of how they turned out...

Attachment 833362
I had a pair of the RS6s and noticed that they were are bit on the short side. I later swapped them out for the Silver 10s (which were just a tad too big for my room). Those RS6s can get the job done musically...nice speaker. I enjoyed them while I had them. I mount the 200s on maple platforms with four sorbothane disks bought on Amazon between the speaker and the platforms. They secure the speaker to the platform so the speaker doesn't move or tip over. I had the platforms custom made by a guy who owns Timbernation. His does really nice racks and stands and etc. All hardwood.

Last edited by ohrbrcko; 07-20-2015 at 05:30 AM. Reason: correct spelling
post #10842 of 10846 Old 07-19-2015, 04:47 PM

I finally got my Gold W15 sub.

I was nervous about getting it because there were no dealers who stock more than 1 of the subs I was considering to even compare it to.

When it arrived I was concerned it's compact size might mean it was too small, I am very happily wrong.

I put on the chemical brothers and listened to some of the most sub breaking songs and set the level to 0 on the sub, it sounded perfectly clear and deep but the default level seemed to be a bit quiet compared to what I was used to with 2 subs before. So I turned it up to +2 and there was my reference volume.

I then set kept turning it up to see if or when distortion would come in and at the max of +10 it wasn't even sweating....then I started to turn up the amplifier and it still didn't sweat.

Back down to +2 and cranked to volume on the receiver to near reference level ( -12 on my Yamaha rxv-3071 (3010) to see how it blends with the whole sound at high volume and unlike my 2 old subs it blended so well it didn't sound like I was coming from a discrete resonating boom box, it just sounded like the speakers were improved, which is exactly what you want.

There was over an inch of excursion during listening and the sound wasn't degraded under strain.

Very very happy. So much so that if I never got another sub, or moved into an auditorium sized room, it wouldn't even matter.

Edit:

Ok after a while without subs I was evidently being greedy, I went back down to 0db on the sub level and it blends better with 'normal' music.

Last edited by dchalfont; 07-19-2015 at 05:05 PM.
post #10843 of 10846 Old 07-23-2015, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Monitor Audio's Bronze range is back with a bang - the new Bronze 2s are stunning standmounters.

This latest generation of Bronze 2 is arguably the best yet. This is a truly complete speaker for the money.

5stars at WhatHifi review!!!
http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/bronze-2/review

They really sounded good for the price when i had a sit down with these little monsters. I have the new Center with new Bronze 1 at rear and BX5 front. Yes Silver line is better with music, but with movies the difference isn`t that big. If you think the price jump, no thanks! Better spent that money to good sub. Highly recommended for movie guys! You really don`t have to buy zillion costing speakers to enjoy movies nowadays. Very nice job Monitor Audio!
post #10844 of 10846 Old 07-25-2015, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have the Silver 8's speakers... which do you recommend for 2 side and 2 rear speakers for my 7.1 system? I'm thinking the silver 1's for rears and the Monitor Audio Silver FX for my side speakers, is the the best ?
post #10845 of 10846 Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Very interested in as many opinions as possible. Currently have the Silver 8s and looking to go to Golds. Few questions I have:

1. Is the main/only difference between the Silver 8s and Gold 200s the ribbon tweeter?
2. Is the main/only difference between the Gold 200 and 300 the bigger base drivers? Are they made exactly the same except for that? I have an SVS PB 13 Ultra sub, and is it a waste to go to the 300?

I realize my own ears will dictate (as well as wallet) the final purchase, but really like to know what opinions you all have. Thank you.

Yamaha 2040
Emotiva 5 channel 200 amp per
post #10846 of 10846 Unread Today, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krettas View Post
Very interested in as many opinions as possible. Currently have the Silver 8s and looking to go to Golds. Few questions I have:

1. Is the main/only difference between the Silver 8s and Gold 200s the ribbon tweeter?
2. Is the main/only difference between the Gold 200 and 300 the bigger base drivers? Are they made exactly the same except for that? I have an SVS PB 13 Ultra sub, and is it a waste to go to the 300?

I realize my own ears will dictate (as well as wallet) the final purchase, but really like to know what opinions you all have. Thank you.

Yamaha 2040
Emotiva 5 channel 200 amp per
Good questions....

The Golds have silver internal cabling while the Silvers have silver plated. The finish on the Golds is really really nice. I bought the 200s in piano black and just sold my 10s which are in black oak. I am more of a 2 channel listener and so I find that the 200s are better suited to music vs. hometheater use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page