Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 362 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 53Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10831 of 10856 Old 06-30-2015, 06:44 AM
Senior Member
 
dchalfont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You can get the Gold 300s for slightly less than a pair of PL100s.

There is no way I would buy the PL 100 when you consider that.

The platinum line came out in 2007 and as such it is 2007 tech. The new golds are 2015 models and come with many expected improvements.

At the time the GX gold line came out in 2011 monitor audio advertised them as "75% of the performance of the platinum line, at 50% of the price". With the new gold line being even better than the GX I think you made the right choice.

I have 2 pairs of Gold 100s and am very happy with them.

For me I had to prioritise the speakers before amplification so I can only imagine what they will sound like with a good amp.

Last edited by dchalfont; 06-30-2015 at 08:23 PM.
dchalfont is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10832 of 10856 Old 06-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Newbie
 
saarnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Leeds- West Yorkshire UK
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks dchalfont - that gives me the time to prioritise on other areas of the system now, such as cables and supports, instead of thinking about moving to the PL range.


saarnold
saarnold is offline  
post #10833 of 10856 Old 07-08-2015, 06:57 AM
Senior Member
 
ohrbrcko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Expecting delivery of a pair of MA Gold 200s in piano black today. My Silver 10s are listed on Craigslist and eBay for local pickup.
ohrbrcko is offline  
post #10834 of 10856 Old 07-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
llep64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
would you guys please recommend me an amp for my GS20? I don't mind use a two or three channel amp around $1500. using a Marantz sr7008 for now.
thx!
llep64 is offline  
post #10835 of 10856 Old 07-09-2015, 03:03 AM
Senior Member
 
dchalfont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohrbrcko View Post
Expecting delivery of a pair of MA Gold 200s in piano black today. My Silver 10s are listed on Craigslist and eBay for local pickup.
Amazing, I have Gold 300s coming, but I won't have them for a month.

I am interested to see how much better they are than my gold 100s.
dchalfont is online now  
post #10836 of 10856 Old 07-09-2015, 05:18 AM
Senior Member
 
ohrbrcko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post
Amazing, I have Gold 300s coming, but I won't have them for a month.

I am interested to see how much better they are than my gold 100s.
I think I am done with upgrading speakers now. I will live happily ever after with the Gold 200s. They are a sharp looking speaker..lots of personality. The imaging is fabulous. I won't necessarily go on the record and say they are X times better than the Silvers as the 10s are much larger than the 200s and so they offer a different audio experience. Plus, I have not broken in the 200s yet. Heck, only listen to one CD yesterday. So it is hard for me to compare. The 200s are a much better fit for my listening room. By the way, my speakers came directly from Kevro verses the actual dealer. If you want the 300s sooner, you may want to contact my dealer, Sound Advice, and ask for Scott. I was going to go through Crutchfield but they do not have the golds in stock yet.
ohrbrcko is offline  
post #10837 of 10856 Old 07-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Senior Member
 
dchalfont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohrbrcko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post
Amazing, I have Gold 300s coming, but I won't have them for a month.

I am interested to see how much better they are than my gold 100s.
I think I am done with upgrading speakers now. I will live happily ever after with the Gold 200s. They are a sharp looking speaker..lots of personality. The imaging is fabulous. I won't necessarily go on the record and say they are X times better than the Silvers as the 10s are much larger than the 200s and so they offer a different audio experience. Plus, I have not broken in the 200s yet. Heck, only listen to one CD yesterday. So it is hard for me to compare. The 200s are a much better fit for my listening room. By the way, my speakers came directly from Kevro verses the actual dealer. If you want the 300s sooner, you may want to contact my dealer, Sound Advice, and ask for Scott. I was going to go through Crutchfield but they do not have the golds in stock yet.
My dealer has them in stock, it will take me a month to pay them off though.

I have had major problems with the supply of my other items though...

I bought the gold 100s as surrounds but have been using them as fronts while I have been waiting for my gold 300s.

My old speakers weren't up to the same standard as the silver 10s...that's for sure. But I have been amazed with the performance of them considering my old speakers were large 3 ways with 8" bass drivers and a 13cm mid, while the 100 has a single 6.5" driver. The bass is mindblowing for a surround speaker, so good that it could easily function as a front when paired with a sub.

My sub which has been delayed so many times ( ordered on 26th of march.... ) will be here on thursday so I will be crossing over my 100s at 80hz. Despite he crossover, which I will use on my 300s as well, I think I will be pleased.

You should get a sub for your 200s, even for 2 channel music.
dchalfont is online now  
post #10838 of 10856 Old 07-09-2015, 08:59 AM
Member
 
daddyjer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Crossover frequencies

I need some input. I recently purchased some Monitor Audio Bronze series speakers and ran Audyssey last night. I have an old Onkyo 705 with Audyssey MultEQ XT. Audyssey came back with the following crossovers set:

Bronze Center-70Hz
Bronze 6 Fronts-Full Band
Bronze 1 Rears-70Hz
Outlaw LFM-1Ex-100Hz

Speaker Frequency Responses are:
Bronze Center-60Hz-30kHz
Bronze 6 Fronts-34Hz-30kHz
Bronze 1 Rears-55Hz-30Khz
Outlaw LFM-1Ex-30Hz-180Hz (I have one port plugged)

Are these crossovers set correctly? I mean, when I had my old Infinitys I ran everything at 80Hz. Should I set the crossover frequency for the Bronze 6towers to 80Hz and let the sub do the bass management? I purchased larger towers to get both bass and treble. Would the Double Bass function send low frequencies to both the front towers and sub? Would this be beneficial? From what I've read people suggest not using Double Bass function and also suggest changing the towers crossover so the sub does all the bass management. Any input would be appreciated.
THanks
daddyjer is offline  
post #10839 of 10856 Old 07-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
 
ohrbrcko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post
My dealer has them in stock, it will take me a month to pay them off though.

I have had major problems with the supply of my other items though...

I bought the gold 100s as surrounds but have been using them as fronts while I have been waiting for my gold 300s.

My old speakers weren't up to the same standard as the silver 10s...that's for sure. But I have been amazed with the performance of them considering my old speakers were large 3 ways with 8" bass drivers and a 13cm mid, while the 100 has a single 6.5" driver. The bass is mindblowing for a surround speaker, so good that it could easily function as a front when paired with a sub.

My sub which has been delayed so many times ( ordered on 26th of march.... ) will be here on thursday so I will be crossing over my 100s at 80hz. Despite he crossover, which I will use on my 300s as well, I think I will be pleased.

You should get a sub for your 200s, even for 2 channel music.
I am using an SVS PB-2000 Sub in my system. It is a beast - rather large and heavy. It is pictured on the right. The Gold 200s are the mains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150708_180358.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	821730  
ohrbrcko is offline  
post #10840 of 10856 Old 07-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
mechx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The low height of my RS6's were driving me crazy. So I had a wood crafter make me some 6" high risers. He did a great job and they look great. They are made out of 3/4" solid oak and I had them stained black, as I am having the RS6's painted black as well. (The cherry veneer isn't working in my room) Also, a 1" hole was drilled in the tops so I could fill them with sand.

Then I just took the original bases off the RS6 and mounted them on the risers. Used some blu tacky putty between the speakers and the risers. The soundstage is much improved and I'm so glad to have those great drivers higher off the floor and now projecting above the arms of my couch and love seat. Huge difference imho. Heres a pic of how they turned out...


Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	833362
ohrbrcko and ambesolman like this.
mechx is offline  
post #10841 of 10856 Old 07-17-2015, 04:58 AM
Senior Member
 
ohrbrcko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechx View Post
The low height of my RS6's were driving me crazy. So I had a wood crafter make me some 6" high risers. He did a great job and they look great. They are made out of 3/4" solid oak and I had them stained black, as I am having the RS6's painted black as well. (The cherry veneer isn't working in my room) Also, a 1" hole was drilled in the tops so I could fill them with sand.

Then I just took the original bases off the RS6 and mounted them on the risers. Used some blu tacky putty between the speakers and the risers. The soundstage is much improved and I'm so glad to have those great drivers higher off the floor and now projecting above the arms of my couch and love seat. Huge difference imho. Heres a pic of how they turned out...


Attachment 833362
I had a pair of the RS6s and noticed that they were are bit on the short side. I later swapped them out for the Silver 10s (which were just a tad too big for my room). Those RS6s can get the job done musically...nice speaker. I enjoyed them while I had them. I mount the 200s on maple platforms with four sorbothane disks bought on Amazon between the speaker and the platforms. They secure the speaker to the platform so the speaker doesn't move or tip over. I had the platforms custom made by a guy who owns Timbernation. His does really nice racks and stands and etc. All hardwood.

Last edited by ohrbrcko; 07-20-2015 at 05:30 AM. Reason: correct spelling
ohrbrcko is offline  
post #10842 of 10856 Old 07-19-2015, 04:47 PM
Senior Member
 
dchalfont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I finally got my Gold W15 sub.

I was nervous about getting it because there were no dealers who stock more than 1 of the subs I was considering to even compare it to.

When it arrived I was concerned it's compact size might mean it was too small, I am very happily wrong.

I put on the chemical brothers and listened to some of the most sub breaking songs and set the level to 0 on the sub, it sounded perfectly clear and deep but the default level seemed to be a bit quiet compared to what I was used to with 2 subs before. So I turned it up to +2 and there was my reference volume.

I then set kept turning it up to see if or when distortion would come in and at the max of +10 it wasn't even sweating....then I started to turn up the amplifier and it still didn't sweat.

Back down to +2 and cranked to volume on the receiver to near reference level ( -12 on my Yamaha rxv-3071 (3010) to see how it blends with the whole sound at high volume and unlike my 2 old subs it blended so well it didn't sound like I was coming from a discrete resonating boom box, it just sounded like the speakers were improved, which is exactly what you want.

There was over an inch of excursion during listening and the sound wasn't degraded under strain.

Very very happy. So much so that if I never got another sub, or moved into an auditorium sized room, it wouldn't even matter.


Edit:

Ok after a while without subs I was evidently being greedy, I went back down to 0db on the sub level and it blends better with 'normal' music.

Last edited by dchalfont; 07-19-2015 at 05:05 PM.
dchalfont is online now  
post #10843 of 10856 Old 07-23-2015, 08:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Monitor Audio's Bronze range is back with a bang - the new Bronze 2s are stunning standmounters.

This latest generation of Bronze 2 is arguably the best yet. This is a truly complete speaker for the money.

5stars at WhatHifi review!!!
http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/bronze-2/review

They really sounded good for the price when i had a sit down with these little monsters. I have the new Center with new Bronze 1 at rear and BX5 front. Yes Silver line is better with music, but with movies the difference isn`t that big. If you think the price jump, no thanks! Better spent that money to good sub. Highly recommended for movie guys! You really don`t have to buy zillion costing speakers to enjoy movies nowadays. Very nice job Monitor Audio!
Mr_Hifi is online now  
post #10844 of 10856 Old 07-25-2015, 04:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have the Silver 8's speakers... which do you recommend for 2 side and 2 rear speakers for my 7.1 system? I'm thinking the silver 1's for rears and the Monitor Audio Silver FX for my side speakers, is the the best ?
blackjack616 is offline  
post #10845 of 10856 Old 07-26-2015, 05:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Very interested in as many opinions as possible. Currently have the Silver 8s and looking to go to Golds. Few questions I have:

1. Is the main/only difference between the Silver 8s and Gold 200s the ribbon tweeter?
2. Is the main/only difference between the Gold 200 and 300 the bigger base drivers? Are they made exactly the same except for that? I have an SVS PB 13 Ultra sub, and is it a waste to go to the 300?

I realize my own ears will dictate (as well as wallet) the final purchase, but really like to know what opinions you all have. Thank you.

Yamaha 2040
Emotiva 5 channel 200 amp per
Krettas is offline  
post #10846 of 10856 Old 07-27-2015, 08:07 AM
Senior Member
 
ohrbrcko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krettas View Post
Very interested in as many opinions as possible. Currently have the Silver 8s and looking to go to Golds. Few questions I have:

1. Is the main/only difference between the Silver 8s and Gold 200s the ribbon tweeter?
2. Is the main/only difference between the Gold 200 and 300 the bigger base drivers? Are they made exactly the same except for that? I have an SVS PB 13 Ultra sub, and is it a waste to go to the 300?

I realize my own ears will dictate (as well as wallet) the final purchase, but really like to know what opinions you all have. Thank you.

Yamaha 2040
Emotiva 5 channel 200 amp per
Good questions....

The Golds have silver internal cabling while the Silvers have silver plated. The finish on the Golds is really really nice. I bought the 200s in piano black and just sold my 10s which are in black oak. I am more of a 2 channel listener and so I find that the 200s are better suited to music vs. hometheater use.
ohrbrcko is offline  
post #10847 of 10856 Old 07-28-2015, 06:13 AM
Senior Member
 
dchalfont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack616 View Post
I have the Silver 8's speakers... which do you recommend for 2 side and 2 rear speakers for my 7.1 system? I'm thinking the silver 1's for rears and the Monitor Audio Silver FX for my side speakers, is the the best ?
I am not a fan of diffused sound at all, the entire point of surround sound, especially going as far as 7.1 is for discrete positional surround sound.

I would get 2 pairs of Silver 1's and build 2 pairs of stands to put them at identical height, and at ear level. I have been enjoying 7.1 sound like this for years and the discrete sound, even from the rear speakers is amazing.
dchalfont is online now  
post #10848 of 10856 Old 07-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi Gents,

I recently bought a pair of Silver 8 which I'm in the process of breaking in.

I currently use Monster cable and I'm wondering if there is any better solution to cable my speakers?

Few peoples told me to go with BlueJean cables.. did anybody made some tests?

I'm considering getting a cable that allow me to bi-amp the speakers but so far I don't know what is the best scenario,

Thanks,
xchange is offline  
post #10849 of 10856 Old 07-30-2015, 06:13 AM
Senior Member
 
ohrbrcko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchange View Post
Hi Gents,

I recently bought a pair of Silver 8 which I'm in the process of breaking in.

I currently use Monster cable and I'm wondering if there is any better solution to cable my speakers?

Few peoples told me to go with BlueJean cables.. did anybody made some tests?

I'm considering getting a cable that allow me to bi-amp the speakers but so far I don't know what is the best scenario,

Thanks,
Regarding cable choice, there are two camps: one that says that you can spend $10 on a speaker cable or you can spend $10K and you will not hear any difference. Therefore, don't spend anymore than you have to. The other camps sincerely believes that there is a difference in how cables sound. Members of either group are very passionate about their beliefs/positions on the issue. There are numerous thread on this forum which debate the issue. All that aside, the cables you are thinking about are all, well, low budget (price not quality). Either one will do you just fine.

As someone who straddles both camps, I will go out on a limb and tell you that you will not hear one nats worth of difference between. Regarding, Monster Cable. You may not find many fans of their products. People find them over priced for their performance..generally speaking. Also, they are a bit heavy handed in protecting the cable turf. Not too long ago, they threatened to sue Blue Jean cables over something silly. The owner of Blue Jean, a former attorney, responded to them with one of the best letters I have read in a long time.

Your MA 8s will sound great with whatever you choose. There are countless number of cable companies to choose from. Go on thecableco.com web site and take a look. Your head will spin. Personally, I use what I call mid priced cables. For speakers and interconnects, I use Audio Art. My digital cable is by Voodoo. My subwoofer is from Better cable. For my TV, I use Wire World hdmi. Nothing too excessive with regards to price. This is fun hobby and I enjoy pampering my system with this, that and the other thing even if doesn't necessarily change the performance in any measurable way.

I apologize for the long wandering response. I was a liberal arts major in college. :-)

Last edited by ohrbrcko; 07-30-2015 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Add additional content
ohrbrcko is offline  
post #10850 of 10856 Old 07-30-2015, 07:47 AM
Senior Member
 
dchalfont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My speaker buying days have come to an end with my gold 300s finishing off my 7.1 setup in just under 2 weeks.

I am looking at power amps now and need some honest advice on what I 'need'.

Based on brand availability and pricing in aus I have decided that it will be between Rotel and Anthem power amps.

My AVR gives a legit 150wpc per channel, 2 channels driven 20-20000hz 8ohms at 0.06%thd.

The amps I am considering from rotel are the

1552
1555
1582
1585

They are 120 and 200wpc respectively and there is a 2 and 5 channel version of each.

They rate their power the same as my avr but they are rated at 0.03%thd...which bumps them up to maybe 130, 210wpc in an apples to apples comparison.

Will a well made power amp regardless of the lower power ( 130watt vs my avrs 150 ) reduce the overall sound quality, or improve the sound in other ways despite the rated power?

My prefered ( cheaper ) choice would be to get the 1555, which will give me 130wpc for the LCR and sude surrounds. I will then use my avr to power the rear surrounds.

I am certain that the 130wpc would be fine for my 4 surrounds and centre if I got another 200wpc amp for the fronts, but I am hoping the 1555 will be more than enough for my gold 300s so I don't have to spend any more money.

Listening will be up ro reference level and it will need to sound perfect, not just good enough.

Is 200wpc unneccessary, and the 130wpc enough to power my MA golds with a smile under heavy listening, please let me know.
dchalfont is online now  
post #10851 of 10856 Old 07-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
ohrbrcko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post
My speaker buying days have come to an end with my gold 300s finishing off my 7.1 setup in just under 2 weeks.

I am looking at power amps now and need some honest advice on what I 'need'.

Based on brand availability and pricing in aus I have decided that it will be between Rotel and Anthem power amps.

My AVR gives a legit 150wpc per channel, 2 channels driven 20-20000hz 8ohms at 0.06%thd.

The amps I am considering from rotel are the

1552
1555
1582
1585

They are 120 and 200wpc respectively and there is a 2 and 5 channel version of each.

They rate their power the same as my avr but they are rated at 0.03%thd...which bumps them up to maybe 130, 210wpc in an apples to apples comparison.

Will a well made power amp regardless of the lower power ( 130watt vs my avrs 150 ) reduce the overall sound quality, or improve the sound in other ways despite the rated power?

My prefered ( cheaper ) choice would be to get the 1555, which will give me 130wpc for the LCR and sude surrounds. I will then use my avr to power the rear surrounds.

I am certain that the 130wpc would be fine for my 4 surrounds and centre if I got another 200wpc amp for the fronts, but I am hoping the 1555 will be more than enough for my gold 300s so I don't have to spend any more money.

Listening will be up ro reference level and it will need to sound perfect, not just good enough.

Is 200wpc unneccessary, and the 130wpc enough to power my MA golds with a smile under heavy listening, please let me know.
Your setup and mine are very similar. I added a 2 channel amp to my system. I use my AVR as a pre-amp for my front speakers and let the AVR run the center and surrounds. I guess the question that needs to be asked is what is your budget? I bought and use the Parasound A-21 Amp. The reviews on it are pretty darn nice. It has been in production for over 10 years so it has a proven record of performance. I have no plans to add another amp to drive my other speakers as I am more focused on 2 channel playback. Emotiva build a nice amp too. Their prices are really good for what you are getting. There is also Outlaw. But all things being equal, I am about done with major purchases. I am waiting for a Simaudio Moon Neo 280D Dac and that should finish the system upgrade. I have stocked up on Kraft Mac and Cheese so that is how I can afford all of this. :-)
ohrbrcko is offline  
post #10852 of 10856 Old 07-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
dchalfont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohrbrcko View Post
Your setup and mine are very similar. I added a 2 channel amp to my system. I use my AVR as a pre-amp for my front speakers and let the AVR run the center and surrounds. I guess the question that needs to be asked is what is your budget? I bought and use the Parasound A-21 Amp. The reviews on it are pretty darn nice. It has been in production for over 10 years so it has a proven record of performance. I have no plans to add another amp to drive my other speakers as I am more focused on 2 channel playback. Emotiva build a nice amp too. Their prices are really good for what you are getting. There is also Outlaw. But all things being equal, I am about done with major purchases. I am waiting for a Simaudio Moon Neo 280D Dac and that should finish the system upgrade. I have stocked up on Kraft Mac and Cheese so that is how I can afford all of this. :-)
Yeah I have gone without just about everything since I started saving on the 4th of march, I pay my bills, keep $50 spare for the week then put every other cent on my speaker orders.

As for the Emotiva, Outlaw and not that you mentioned it....but Also ATI, are brands that are not sold in AUS. I can import emotiva which is an option but the easier choices are the ones available here.

As for budget, my budget can be stretched to whatever is needed, but the more expensive it is the longer I have to wait.

I can get the Rotel 1555 for $1899 ( 120x5 ), and 1585 for $3199 ( 200x5 ), Anthem MCA50 for $2999 (180x5) or I can import the Emotiva XPA-5 for $2000, but the emotiva would have no warranty in AUS and it would be a big risk for that reason and hard to justify.

If the 1555 with 120wpc will be more than enough then I don't have to wait an insane amount of time to get it, but at the same time, if it is not powerful enough then I would rather wait.

There are other options from Anthem but the question is really how much power do I need for very loud dynamic sources in order to be happy long term, and not feel like I should have spent more, if that happens to mean I need 200wpc then so be it but I don't want to waste time and money on more than could be required for my needs. My main concern with the 120x5 amps is whether there is nenough power for the fronts for stereo listening under those conditions.
dchalfont is online now  
post #10853 of 10856 Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
justthinking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post

I can get the Rotel 1555 for $1899 ( 120x5 ), and 1585 for $3199 ( 200x5 ), Anthem MCA50 for $2999 (180x5) or I can import the Emotiva XPA-5 for $2000, but the emotiva would have no warranty in AUS and it would be a big risk for that reason and hard to justify.

If the 1555 with 120wpc will be more than enough then I don't have to wait an insane amount of time to get it, but at the same time, if it is not powerful enough then I would rather wait.

There are other options from Anthem but the question is really how much power do I need for very loud dynamic sources in order to be happy long term, and not feel like I should have spent more, if that happens to mean I need 200wpc then so be it but I don't want to waste time and money on more than could be required for my needs. My main concern with the 120x5 amps is whether there is nenough power for the fronts for stereo listening under those conditions.
What receiver are you using? Do you know you probably are using not even 25 watts per channel in normal listening condition?
Unless your AVR is having problem driving your speakers, I would invest money in room treatment before on an external amp..

http://www.audioholics.com/home-thea...-to-a-receiver

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

HT Setup - Sony KDS-55A3000, Marantz SR8002, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX & Martin Logan Descent
2 Channel Setup - B&W 805 Diamond, Bluesound Vault, Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM, Aragon 2004 MKII
Alternative 2 Channel Setup - KEF LS50, Marantz SA-15S1, Marantz PM-15S1 & Martin Logan Depth

Last edited by justthinking; Yesterday at 12:06 AM.
justthinking is online now  
post #10854 of 10856 Old Yesterday, 02:54 AM
Senior Member
 
dchalfont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
What receiver are you using? Do you know you probably are using not even 25 watts per channel in normal listening condition?
Unless your AVR is having problem driving your speakers, I would invest money in room treatment before on an external amp..

http://www.audioholics.com/home-thea...-to-a-receiver

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
Of course a receiver rated at 2x150 has trouble driving 7 speakers at reference level volume.

Like all speakers the nominal impedance means almost nothing, my speakers dip down to 3.1 ohms and are rated at 8, an amp capable of delivering more power with less distortion, at lower impedance with have an objective and un-situational improvement in sound quality, room treatment for thue most part is used to improve less than ideal speaker placement issues.

I have perfect placement and the room is carpeted, has large lounges and other furniture, sound absorbers on the walls and roof will be the absolute last priority and are impractical considering I don't own the house I rent.

There are as many things you can do to worsen the sound with sound absorbers/diffusers as there are good things, if you have your speaker placement right and the right room setup the minor reflections in the room can be good for the sound.
dchalfont is online now  
post #10855 of 10856 Old Today, 06:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post
I am not a fan of diffused sound at all, the entire point of surround sound, especially going as far as 7.1 is for discrete positional surround sound.

I would get 2 pairs of Silver 1's and build 2 pairs of stands to put them at identical height, and at ear level. I have been enjoying 7.1 sound like this for years and the discrete sound, even from the rear speakers is amazing.
thanx this is what i'll probably do get 2 pairs of the silvers 1 and just get ear level stands... thank you
blackjack616 is offline  
post #10856 of 10856 Old Today, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
justthinking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack616 View Post
thanx this is what i'll probably do get 2 pairs of the silvers 1 and just get ear level stands... thank you
http://www.audioholics.com/home-thea...heater-systems

http://www.audioholics.com/home-thea...lacement-guide

There are a lot of discussions regarding surround speaker placement on the audio theory, setup and chat forum

While some might disagree, from what I can gather, consensus is to place surround speakers about 1.5 to 2 ft above ear level when you sit at listening position and aim them slightly down

I believe the reason been you want surround speakers to create a bubble of sound around you that just blend in and does not draw attention to itself
By placing surround speakers too close or at ear level, might cause them to stand out too much and made you notice their presence and became a distraction

HT Setup - Sony KDS-55A3000, Marantz SR8002, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX & Martin Logan Descent
2 Channel Setup - B&W 805 Diamond, Bluesound Vault, Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM, Aragon 2004 MKII
Alternative 2 Channel Setup - KEF LS50, Marantz SA-15S1, Marantz PM-15S1 & Martin Logan Depth
justthinking is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off