Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 365 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

post #10921 of 10928 Old 08-22-2015, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack616 View Post
Yeah Maybe i should upgrade from my silvers to the gold 300s. what did you sell your 8s for?
The dealer I had was excellent. They took back the silver 8s and credited full price I paid them and gave me the Golds for total of $5,100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10922 of 10928 Old 08-23-2015, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krettas View Post
The dealer I had was excellent. They took back the silver 8s and credited full price I paid them and gave me the Golds for total of $5,100.
That's nice deal, id highly doubt my dealer would take them back... I had them for about 6 months now...

But I'm still leaning towards a silver series HT and getting a new set of speakers for my music room like revel studio 2, or b&W 803
post #10923 of 10928 Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Too loud?

Thanks to the advice I received here earlier in the year I have had a bronze BX system (2xBX6, BXC, and 2xBX2) minus the sub (SVS PB1000) for my HT since February. I paired it with a Yamaha aventage 1040, which is rated at 110w per channel. When I am watching movies I have it at -27db. My question is how loud can I get before I have to worry about damaging the speakers? I haven't gone past -27db because it would be hard trying to get the wife on board to replace speakers given the cost! When I am watching movies I would love for them to be a little louder, I am just hesitant. I've never had a set-up like this. I believe the max is +16.5db. Any advice would be awesome.
post #10924 of 10928 Old Today, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriesm View Post
Thanks to the advice I received here earlier in the year I have had a bronze BX system (2xBX6, BXC, and 2xBX2) minus the sub (SVS PB1000) for my HT since February. I paired it with a Yamaha aventage 1040, which is rated at 110w per channel. When I am watching movies I have it at -27db. My question is how loud can I get before I have to worry about damaging the speakers? I haven't gone past -27db because it would be hard trying to get the wife on board to replace speakers given the cost! When I am watching movies I would love for them to be a little louder, I am just hesitant. I've never had a set-up like this. I believe the max is +16.5db. Any advice would be awesome.
I dont know how yamaha has the master volume but on Denon, Marantz, Onkyo (calibrated with audyssey) you have so that at the 0 db on receiver is refrence level for movies (up to 105db peaks for speakers and 115db for sub very very loud) if you listen at -15 up to -10 (as i normally do) than that means 90-95db for speakers and 100-105db for sub...at listening position...you could try leveling your speakers with analog/digital SPL meter and set the speakers with internal test tones...when i didnt have audyssey i calibrated so that all the speakers measured 75db (internal pink test noise is normally -30db) at listening position (you will than see at what level on receiver is reference level)...my Marantz (audyssey) sets the bronze speakers at around -3,5 to -5,5db (in speaker level menu)...as for yamaha...they have a very low power at all channels driven usually at around 40 watts with 5 or 7 speakers driven...you can crank up the volume on receiver as loud so that everything is still clear if you would hear a distortion then back down the volume...let your ears be the guide
gabriesm likes this.

Marantz sr7008 (running 9.2 audyssey DSX, DTS:NEO X), monitor audio bx6,bx center,bx fx (4x),bx1,sub SVS sb13ultra (2x), panasonic 60asw654

Last edited by tommaazz; Today at 12:05 AM.
post #10925 of 10928 Old Today, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The volume that can damage the speakers is far more dependant on the amplifier than the speakers.

A small amp will have high distortion and clipping at -15dB. A larger one will not.

I have a yamaha 3071 ( 3010 equivalent ) and I get audible distortion on even my gold 300s at -10 in a surround heavy blu ray like 7.1 dts ma like thor.

I think -10 should be a max on that receiver without additional external amplification.
tommaazz likes this.
post #10926 of 10928 Old Today, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post
The volume that can damage the speakers is far more dependant on the amplifier than the speakers.

A small amp will have high distortion and clipping at -15dB. A larger one will not.

I have a yamaha 3071 ( 3010 equivalent ) and I get audible distortion on even my gold 300s at -10 in a surround heavy blu ray like 7.1 dts ma like thor.

I think -10 should be a max on that receiver without additional external amplification.

Thank you for the responses guys. I really appreciate it. Sorry for all the amateur questions but i'm still learning. Is clipping when the sound cuts out spontaneously and distortion when it sounds like a softer version of "snow" on televisions during quiet periods of the movie? How does distortion and clipping damage the speakers? Given my set up what would my best options be? Sell this receiver adn get another one or try to run external amplification?
post #10927 of 10928 Old Today, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
I dont know how yamaha has the master volume but on Denon, Marantz, Onkyo (calibrated with audyssey) you have so that at the 0 db on receiver is refrence level for movies (up to 105db peaks for speakers and 115db for sub very very loud) if you listen at -15 up to -10 (as i normally do) than that means 90-95db for speakers and 100-105db for sub...at listening position...you could try leveling your speakers with analog/digital SPL meter and set the speakers with internal test tones...when i didnt have audyssey i calibrated so that all the speakers measured 75db (internal pink test noise is normally -30db) at listening position (you will than see at what level on receiver is reference level)...my Marantz (audyssey) sets the bronze speakers at around -3,5 to -5,5db (in speaker level menu)...as for yamaha...they have a very low power at all channels driven usually at around 40 watts with 5 or 7 speakers driven...you can crank up the volume on receiver as loud so that everything is still clear if you would hear a distortion then back down the volume...let your ears be the guide
I watched Godzilla tonight and had a cheap app (i know) running on my phone. Peaked at 90db when the sub was really working at listening position. The receiver was set at -15db.
post #10928 of 10928 Old Today, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriesm View Post
I watched Godzilla tonight and had a cheap app (i know) running on my phone. Peaked at 90db when the sub was really working at listening position. The receiver was set at -15db.
It might be that the yamaha ypao also calibrates for the 0 to be reference level...but then again why not since the majority of us who gets the receiver are watching movies...

Marantz sr7008 (running 9.2 audyssey DSX, DTS:NEO X), monitor audio bx6,bx center,bx fx (4x),bx1,sub SVS sb13ultra (2x), panasonic 60asw654
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page