Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 365 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 68Likes
post #10921 of 10938 Old 08-22-2015, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack616 View Post
Yeah Maybe i should upgrade from my silvers to the gold 300s. what did you sell your 8s for?
The dealer I had was excellent. They took back the silver 8s and credited full price I paid them and gave me the Golds for total of $5,100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10922 of 10938 Old 08-23-2015, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krettas View Post
The dealer I had was excellent. They took back the silver 8s and credited full price I paid them and gave me the Golds for total of $5,100.
That's nice deal, id highly doubt my dealer would take them back... I had them for about 6 months now...

But I'm still leaning towards a silver series HT and getting a new set of speakers for my music room like revel studio 2, or b&W 803
post #10923 of 10938 Old 08-26-2015, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Too loud?

Thanks to the advice I received here earlier in the year I have had a bronze BX system (2xBX6, BXC, and 2xBX2) minus the sub (SVS PB1000) for my HT since February. I paired it with a Yamaha aventage 1040, which is rated at 110w per channel. When I am watching movies I have it at -27db. My question is how loud can I get before I have to worry about damaging the speakers? I haven't gone past -27db because it would be hard trying to get the wife on board to replace speakers given the cost! When I am watching movies I would love for them to be a little louder, I am just hesitant. I've never had a set-up like this. I believe the max is +16.5db. Any advice would be awesome.
post #10924 of 10938 Old 08-27-2015, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriesm View Post
Thanks to the advice I received here earlier in the year I have had a bronze BX system (2xBX6, BXC, and 2xBX2) minus the sub (SVS PB1000) for my HT since February. I paired it with a Yamaha aventage 1040, which is rated at 110w per channel. When I am watching movies I have it at -27db. My question is how loud can I get before I have to worry about damaging the speakers? I haven't gone past -27db because it would be hard trying to get the wife on board to replace speakers given the cost! When I am watching movies I would love for them to be a little louder, I am just hesitant. I've never had a set-up like this. I believe the max is +16.5db. Any advice would be awesome.
I dont know how yamaha has the master volume but on Denon, Marantz, Onkyo (calibrated with audyssey) you have so that at the 0 db on receiver is refrence level for movies (up to 105db peaks for speakers and 115db for sub very very loud) if you listen at -15 up to -10 (as i normally do) than that means 90-95db for speakers and 100-105db for sub...at listening position...you could try leveling your speakers with analog/digital SPL meter and set the speakers with internal test tones...when i didnt have audyssey i calibrated so that all the speakers measured 75db (internal pink test noise is normally -30db) at listening position (you will than see at what level on receiver is reference level)...my Marantz (audyssey) sets the bronze speakers at around -3,5 to -5,5db (in speaker level menu)...as for yamaha...they have a very low power at all channels driven usually at around 40 watts with 5 or 7 speakers driven...you can crank up the volume on receiver as loud so that everything is still clear if you would hear a distortion then back down the volume...let your ears be the guide
gabriesm likes this.

Marantz sr7008 (running 9.2 audyssey DSX, DTS:NEO X), monitor audio bx6,bx center,bx fx (4x),bx1,sub SVS sb13ultra (2x), panasonic 60asw654

Last edited by tommaazz; 08-27-2015 at 12:05 AM.
post #10925 of 10938 Old 08-27-2015, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The volume that can damage the speakers is far more dependant on the amplifier than the speakers.

A small amp will have high distortion and clipping at -15dB. A larger one will not.

I have a yamaha 3071 ( 3010 equivalent ) and I get audible distortion on even my gold 300s at -10 in a surround heavy blu ray like 7.1 dts ma like thor.

I think -10 should be a max on that receiver without additional external amplification.
tommaazz likes this.
post #10926 of 10938 Old 08-27-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post
The volume that can damage the speakers is far more dependant on the amplifier than the speakers.

A small amp will have high distortion and clipping at -15dB. A larger one will not.

I have a yamaha 3071 ( 3010 equivalent ) and I get audible distortion on even my gold 300s at -10 in a surround heavy blu ray like 7.1 dts ma like thor.

I think -10 should be a max on that receiver without additional external amplification.

Thank you for the responses guys. I really appreciate it. Sorry for all the amateur questions but i'm still learning. Is clipping when the sound cuts out spontaneously and distortion when it sounds like a softer version of "snow" on televisions during quiet periods of the movie? How does distortion and clipping damage the speakers? Given my set up what would my best options be? Sell this receiver adn get another one or try to run external amplification?
post #10927 of 10938 Old 08-27-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
I dont know how yamaha has the master volume but on Denon, Marantz, Onkyo (calibrated with audyssey) you have so that at the 0 db on receiver is refrence level for movies (up to 105db peaks for speakers and 115db for sub very very loud) if you listen at -15 up to -10 (as i normally do) than that means 90-95db for speakers and 100-105db for sub...at listening position...you could try leveling your speakers with analog/digital SPL meter and set the speakers with internal test tones...when i didnt have audyssey i calibrated so that all the speakers measured 75db (internal pink test noise is normally -30db) at listening position (you will than see at what level on receiver is reference level)...my Marantz (audyssey) sets the bronze speakers at around -3,5 to -5,5db (in speaker level menu)...as for yamaha...they have a very low power at all channels driven usually at around 40 watts with 5 or 7 speakers driven...you can crank up the volume on receiver as loud so that everything is still clear if you would hear a distortion then back down the volume...let your ears be the guide
I watched Godzilla tonight and had a cheap app (i know) running on my phone. Peaked at 90db when the sub was really working at listening position. The receiver was set at -15db.
post #10928 of 10938 Old 08-27-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I watched Godzilla tonight and had a cheap app (i know) running on my phone. Peaked at 90db when the sub was really working at listening position. The receiver was set at -15db.
It might be that the yamaha ypao also calibrates for the 0 to be reference level...but then again why not since the majority of us who gets the receiver are watching movies...

Marantz sr7008 (running 9.2 audyssey DSX, DTS:NEO X), monitor audio bx6,bx center,bx fx (4x),bx1,sub SVS sb13ultra (2x), panasonic 60asw654
post #10929 of 10938 Old 08-27-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalfont View Post

I have limited my marantz volume to -10 and it sounds very good no matter what movies i am playing i also listened for the test at -5 db below reference the war of the worlds movie and didnt hear any distortion...the same is for music but below that i can hear that it doesent sound "right"...but -10 for movies is plenty loud for me since i usually listen at -15 to -18 and i rarely listen at -10 with music

post #10930 of 10938 Old 08-27-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the responses guys. I really appreciate it. Sorry for all the amateur questions but i'm still learning. Is clipping when the sound cuts out spontaneously and distortion when it sounds like a softer version of "snow" on televisions during quiet periods of the movie? How does distortion and clipping damage the speakers? Given my set up what would my best options be? Sell this receiver adn get another one or try to run external amplification?
I am still learning after 20 years of this hobby (started around 16 years old) ...i dont know how to answer your question since my ears are the guide ...it just doesent sound "right" so compressed...turn up the volume db by db and you will hear when the speakers sounds different...cliping is dangerous since it can damage a tweeter which under normal usage is using only a few watts of power compared to bass bass/midrange which sucks out power like super car ...i think that cliping occurs when you push your amp so far for a long time but it cant maintain the volume/voltage since it doesent have the power and it distorts the output signal with excessive energy which can burn a speaker voice coil...remember i am still learning too

post #10931 of 10938 Old 08-29-2015, 01:56 PM

Does anyone have the MA silver series for HT ? Im debating if i want to use my silver for HT or upgrade to something better, i just want a decent HT system
post #10932 of 10938 Old 08-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
looking for a pair of gx200
post #10933 of 10938 Old 08-29-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Does anyone have the MA silver series for HT ? Im debating if i want to use my silver for HT or upgrade to something better, i just want a decent HT system
I have 3 x Silver8 and 2 x Silver2 with a pair of Paradigm subs. Works very well for me but I am not an HT fan. Music mostly.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 08-29-2015 at 07:15 PM.
post #10934 of 10938 Old 08-29-2015, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
I have 2 pairs of silver towers for 2 channel in a 24'x24' room.
They easily fill the room with great sound including 'hit you in the chest' bass.
I can't really see much advantage to going beyond the silver range.
A couple of good subs added for theater use would make them ideal imo.
post #10935 of 10938 Old 08-29-2015, 04:50 PM

Ok thanks I guess i'll use my Silvers 8s for my HT then just get the silver center + silver 1 for rears.... should be good

So that will be powered by a yamaha rx a2040 and a rythmik FV15hp sub... and a VIZIO M70-C3 70-Inch ; Haven't officially put anything but the a2040 and silver 8s
Is the a2040 alone enough to power everyhting good?

Last edited by blackjack616; 08-30-2015 at 05:37 PM.
post #10936 of 10938 Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
I am still learning after 20 years of this hobby (started around 16 years old) ...i dont know how to answer your question since my ears are the guide ...it just doesent sound "right" so compressed...turn up the volume db by db and you will hear when the speakers sounds different...cliping is dangerous since it can damage a tweeter which under normal usage is using only a few watts of power compared to bass bass/midrange which sucks out power like super car ...i think that cliping occurs when you push your amp so far for a long time but it cant maintain the volume/voltage since it doesent have the power and it distorts the output signal with excessive energy which can burn a speaker voice coil...remember i am still learning too
Thanks for your input! -10db has been sounding normal and it is plenty loud (wife came down and told me I was shaking the house) Also do you have your speakers set to large or do you have them set to small in your receiver? The Yamaha set all mine to large but i've been reading that they should really be set to small as to not damage the driver.

Last edited by gabriesm; Yesterday at 05:52 PM.
post #10937 of 10938 Unread Today, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
I have 2 pairs of silver towers for 2 channel in a 24'x24' room.
They easily fill the room with great sound including 'hit you in the chest' bass.
I can't really see much advantage to going beyond the silver range.
A couple of good subs added for theater use would make them ideal imo.
+1 i also think that going beyond silver is pointless for us normal people ...but if i had a money to spend i would gladly take gold or platinum but i am very happy with my bronze BX setup (i just wish a center would be a little bigger or 3way) and with a help of svs sb13u they sound delicious for ht and music

post #10938 of 10938 Unread Today, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCollins View Post
Anyone know what one could expect to pay for the GS10's?
Hi,

Thinking of upgrading 5.1 monitor audio radius hd (4x r90+r180+r370) to 7.1 or 7.2.
I found the r370hd for 50% I got it for at the time, but I think its the last piece in my color. Do I will be moving from an apartment to a house soon, where the room will be bigger (27 sq meters, 2.7m high).
I am hoping to improve the music experience with the upgrade. I am not sure if I need a second sub or not.
I was thinking about the following upgrades for the fronts:
1. MA Silver 1
2. MA Silver 6
3. MA BX5 (now on sale)
4. MA new radius r270
5 Ma Apex A10

I like the silvers since they look like bigger brothers of the small radius, and are also produced in high gloss, but someone advised me that BX or the new radius would better match the radius HD that i currently have.

Budget-wise, I could get any of the options with an additional sub, for the price similar to or lower than Silver 6 in high gloss black. I am not certain whether I would benefit from a second sub, and by how much? I am leaning towards Silver 1 or the new r270, which seem to have similar specs on paper.

If someone has had a chance to hear the mentioned speakers, please share your experience.

Thanks!

Thanks for the opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page