Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 388 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 204Likes
post #11611 of 11619 Unread 11-30-2016, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkelly84 View Post
Soooooooo no one can a get me in the right direction then?

Take a look at he classifieds forum, audiogon, eBay, etc. I'm sure you'll find data points whereby can set your price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 11619 Unread 11-30-2016, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:

I can tell you what I've paid for my used rosenut setup over the past few years...

RX8 + rxc: 1250 (GREAT deal)
2 pr of rx1: 335 & 320 (pairs bought separately)
Plus shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11613 of 11619 Unread 12-02-2016, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My new Gold W15 sub will not turn on

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post
Everyone who is a proud Monitor Audio owner, I would love to hear about your systems, any question/concerns, rants, or raves. Thanks.
Hi, this is my first post on this forum, and my problem is a little embarrassing - I am not able to power up my Monitor Audio subwoofer (Gold W15). I bought it today, connected it carefully according to the instructions and turned on the power using the rocker switch. A red LED lit up on the back panel, like it is supposed to. I now should be able to turn the sub on by pushing the so-called encoder on the sub, or by pressing the stand by button on the remote. In both cases, the sub should go through a power cycle sequence, but nothing happens, except that when using the remote, a red light flickers on the control panel of the sub.
Could this be a sign that the fuse is blown? I have opened the little fuse 'drawer', but I have not managed (or tried very hard) to remove the fuses. I cannot tell which of the fuses is the spare, or if any of them is defective.
If anyone has a solution to this, I would be a happy man.
post #11614 of 11619 Unread 12-03-2016, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Have you a/b'd the two for comparison?
I have, but it's been two years now, back when I was looking for new speakers.

The new Silver 8's seemed like a clear upgrade compared to the RX8's. Im not talking about small, struggle-to-hear differences, but about tighter bass, clearer mids, smoother highs, better integration top-to-bottom. In short, a much better speaker in all respects.

I ended up with the Silver 10's though, because I liked their presentation better (the 8's sounded a bit forward by comparison) and because I have a large living room. Downside is, their bass sounds overwhelming with some recordings.
ambesolman likes this.
post #11615 of 11619 Unread 12-03-2016, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My new Gold W15 sub will not turn on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earbones View Post
Hi, this is my first post on this forum, and my problem is a little embarrassing - I am not able to power up my Monitor Audio subwoofer (Gold W15).
To answer my own question and to prevent anyone spending time on this, I am happy to say I solved the problem. Turns out I had connected the 12 Volt Trigger Input, so all I had to do was turn on my AV amplifier, then the sub powered up.
post #11616 of 11619 Unread 12-04-2016, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Keep them and jam them out. Back in my grad school days I used an Outlaw LFM-1 EX in a 2 bed / 2 bath apartment and just practiced common sense and didn't have much issue the 4 years I was in that living situation. Don't jam at stupid hours. Now my Seaton would likely cause foundation cracks!

Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Living Room: Aperion Grand Verus, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, 70" Sharp Aquos +more
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm, Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession, Stage 4 - Acceptance
...Which stage are you on?
post #11617 of 11619 Unread Yesterday, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Choosing a Center speaker C150 or C350

I have just entered the mid end of home theater, Marantz AV8802A, PM-11S3, and I added a pair of MA Gold 300 to the front, with the rest of the speakers being Q Acoustics 3000 series (moving my previous LR Q Acoustics 3050 to be Surround Speakers in my 7.4.4 setup). My room is mid size 240 sqf (22sqm) with a normal ceiling hight 8.4 feet (2,56m). I was quite cash strapped after my recent last binge, so I found a used power amp Sherwood A-965, which I think sounds good, for seven of the speakers. The MA Gold 300 are run on the PM-11S3. Front height speakers get juice from a Marantz PM-8003.

I´m not sure if it is wrong with my hearing but I honestly think the LCR is quite timber matched, which feels wierd because the Q Acoustics 3090 should differ from the 300's.

Next step is to upgrade the center, and I´m contemplating on C150 and C350. Since it´s still a living room and not a dedicated HT the furniture is not fully optimized except for the sweetspot. I have read that the C350, being a three way, has a better off axis response than the C150, which obviously is an MTM. It is however a bit more expensive, but more problematic, larger, and harder for me to accomodate in my AV furniture below the tv.

I also live in a flat with neighbors close by, so I refrain from playing at reference levels. My subwoofers are two SVS SB2000 and two Q Accoustics 7070Si, so I do not necessarily need to go truly low with the center.

In order to weigh my options, what could be the better choice for me, considering I will have these LCR's for the next 10 years.
Q Acoustics likes this.

Last edited by Excommunication; Yesterday at 10:03 AM.
post #11618 of 11619 Unread Today, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. Could someone please tell me how would MA bronze 2 pair with Yamaha rx-381? Searching for budget receiver for Bronze 2 speakers.

Thank you very much.

http://m.usa.yamaha.com/products/aud...x/rx-v381.html
post #11619 of 11619 Unread Today, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heavily Evaluating First Monitor Audio Setup... Need Advice on Receiver Pairing

Hey everyone! Building a smaller HT in the main living area right now... doing a lot of listening and evaluating along the way and had the pleasure of hearing some Gold 50 bookshelves in Seattle and really liked them!

I currently own KEF and have owned AR, Klipsch and others over the years. My new home has a funky downstairs and I needed a sealed center channel and began researching. It quickly narrowed down to 2 choices- the new Monitor IW460X center paired with either Gold or Platinum 100 line L/R's and CP-CT380 IDC for surround duty. It'll be a 5.2 system and I already own the SVS Sb2000 to which I'll add a second sub.

I listed to the Gold 50's and spent 2hrs listening to a massive amount of music in an untreated room (they are just moving in still) sitting on an AV console (this is how mine will have to be, unfortunately, no stands due to build in bookshelves) and the speakers weren't even toed in or anything to improve image. I have to say, it excelled with voice and for a small bookshelf offered a lot of weight to the voicing. It also had a magnificent top end where those tweeters could shine. I did hit one track that felt like murder to my ears though - Louis Armstrong La Vie en Rose... that trumpet was shrill but the Golds were hooked up to a Marantz NR1600 series with NO EQ and I'm wondering if that, and the hard floor and untreated walls could have lent to the track sounding so difficult. It was really the only one that made my wife and I look at each other, turn down the volume and find a new track... Out of say, 100 tracks sampled throughout the 2hr period.

I'm thinking of pairing them with either an Anthem MRX 720 OR the new NAD T777 V3 that drops next month with Dirac Live RC and BlueSound wireless. My listening is split about 50/50 between 2 channel music - with help from the Sub so really 2.1 - and Blu Ray discs.

I have two major questions for the informed here:

1- Do you believe the Gold's exuberant and capable tweeters would be tamed with EQ using one of the receivers noted above? My room is NOT heavily treated but I have a large soft carpet, soft blinds on one long sidewall and soon I will fit an acoustic panel on the other early reflection point.

2- Does anyone currently run a similar set up with Anthem or NAD paired with the Gold series bookshelves? What is your true and honest (hopefully unbiased) opinion? I'd like to know if there is anything of note that would be reported as less than excellent? And anything that maybe you didn't know about the speakers before connecting to either of these AVRs.

Lastly, I am evaluating the Focal Electra series for comparison though thus far I've only listened to them through a $10,000 Naim system. Initial impressions on that system just after the 2hrs with the Monitors... it wasn't nearly as engaging. The imaging was INCREDIBLE but there wasn't a panache or a zest from the speakers. Voices were perfect more or less but instruments seemed to take such a back seat that it just felt like listening to borderline acapella... I will listen to them again next Friday on some NAD and Anthem equipment but probably won't get the chance to do so with Monitor as there aren't dealers with both on hand in the area... for many hundreds of miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
cp-wt380idc , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Jl Audio Brand , Monitor Audio , Nad , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Sunfire , Toshiba