Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 391 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 220Likes
post #11701 of 11728 Unread 02-15-2017, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakeplease View Post
the sharp T and S is not enjoyable.
That is definitely not normal for a bronze speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11702 of 11728 Unread 02-15-2017, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
I just bought the following setup: Monitor Audio Bronze 2 bookshelves, SVS SB12 subwoofer, Marantz SR6010 AV receiver.

So it took a while to figure out the Marantz and I went thru the setup and Audyssey microphone setup. Its set on reference. The subwoofer is set at 50% gain like it said to. The bass sounds OK.

Right off the bat, I found the sound really sharp, especially the "S"s. I'm very sensitive to that kind of sound. I am wondering if this is possibly the receiver, or the bronze 2s need some wear in, or if its just natural for it to sound like that.

The speakers look brand new so I have to assume it has gotten no use but it is an amazon warehouse deal in very good condition so it could be used minimally.

I was hoping to put these in the back and buy the bronze 6 towers for a full setup but now, if this is any indication of the sound, I may have to opt out.

For what its worth, I like that warm, smoothed out (But detailed) sound of the B&W 683s. I was hoping for something similar, although doesn't have to be the same.

As an example, I'm watching tv shows on very low to moderate volume and I just dont like the sound. I prefer the sound of the tv's bulit in speakers even though its ****ty because it's not sharp. This one has better imaging, volume, etc. but the sharp T and S is not enjoyable.
Try to turn audyssey off or put receiver in source direct mode and see if you still find the speakers sound harsh, maybe it just not the right speakers for you..

And yes, Monitor Audio does tend to sound more toward the brighter side..

Since you like B&W 683, why not go with 685 for now and 683 later?

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X6200W, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, 4 x C380LCR and 2 x Martin Logan Descent I
2 Channel - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Marantz SA-KI-Pearl, Parasound Halo P5/A21, SVS SB13 Ultra and ATS Acoustics room treatments
post #11703 of 11728 Unread 02-16-2017, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
That is definitely not normal for a bronze speaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking View Post
Try to turn audyssey off or put receiver in source direct mode and see if you still find the speakers sound harsh, maybe it just not the right speakers for you..

And yes, Monitor Audio does tend to sound more toward the brighter side..

Since you like B&W 683, why not go with 685 for now and 683 later?
So I've been listening to music for about 4 hours now and it actually got better about an hour in. I think it might have been due to amp and speaker warm up if theres a thing because its definitely not as harsh. I actually had to turn down the volume of an episode of The Office because the Ss and Ts in the dialogue were a bit sharp. I found a thread on whathifi about someone who called MA about this issue also for his BR2.
Its a brand new receiver so maybe that's what it is.

Anyway, I have to say, I'm very pleased with the sound. I'm actually looking into potentially giving my family member the Bronze 2 and getting the Bronze 6 towers.

Does anyone know how the Bronze 2 and Bronze 6 would compare?

I already have a SVS subwoofer so low end output isn't all that big of a deal but the cohesive sound of the woofers coming from both sides with larger drivers would be nice. It also looks nicer aesthetically.

post #11704 of 11728 Unread 02-16-2017, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 94
When I had Audyssey (currently on a Yamaha unit) I just used it for level correction. I found for cheap speakers Audyssey EQ was good but once I got into higher end gear the speakers sounded better without Audyssey doing EQ corrections. I disabled all of it and was happy.

Thread to Build:Theater Build
Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Living Room: Aperion Grand Verus, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, 70" Sharp Aquos +more
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm, Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession, Stage 4 - Acceptance
...Which stage are you on?
post #11705 of 11728 Unread 02-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello Lads.

I am currently enjoying my Silver 8's. However, I have the opportunity to upgrade to the GX200 for about 1000 bucks.

I'm looking for some thoughts and opinions on whether this is a "start the car" kind of deal or a "meh....maybe"

If Jack Bauer was gay, his name would be Chuck Norris
post #11706 of 11728 Unread 02-16-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Quote:
Does anyone know how the Bronze 2 and Bronze 6 would compare?

The Bronze 2 and Bronze 6 use the exact same drivers. The Bronze 6 has two woofers and another woofer that has been crossed over to handle mids separately so it is considered a 2 1/2 way speaker instead of an actual 3-way speaker. Nothing wrong with this by the way. Since the Bronze 6 uses the same drivers as the Bronze 2 but in a much larger cabinet, you will get the same great sound but deeper bass. That is about all I could differentiate between the two when I compared them late last year.

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers
AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects | Audio Technica AT95e MM Cartridge

"My CD's don't earn interest...they play sweet music."
post #11707 of 11728 Unread 02-17-2017, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
The Bronze 2 and Bronze 6 use the exact same drivers. The Bronze 6 has two woofers and another woofer that has been crossed over to handle mids separately so it is considered a 2 1/2 way speaker instead of an actual 3-way speaker. Nothing wrong with this by the way. Since the Bronze 6 uses the same drivers as the Bronze 2 but in a much larger cabinet, you will get the same great sound but deeper bass. That is about all I could differentiate between the two when I compared them late last year.
Wait, what I dont get is why do they have 2 bass woofers and then the 3rd woofer is a bass-mid combo? Why not just make it a dedicated mid like a 3-way?

So essentially I have nothing to gain from the Bronze 6 over the Bronze 2 except the low end, which could technically be replaced with a subwoofer right? Since they have the exact same top setup.

Well that, and also that towers have better bass integration which makes the sound much fuller since it's all one cohesive unit and direction versus trying to buy 2 subs and finding the appropriate location for it.

I see that the Silver 6 is also the same way, it's 2.5 way. Difference being a RST driver vs C-cam. Their Silver 8 is a 3 way though.

If I crossover the low frequencies to a subwoofer and set the towers to small, would that then cause the 6.5" woofers in the Bronze 6 to be dedicated mids? How would that work?

Last edited by pancakeplease; 02-17-2017 at 01:37 AM.
post #11708 of 11728 Unread 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Wait, what I dont get is why do they have 2 bass woofers and then the 3rd woofer is a bass-mid combo? Why not just make it a dedicated mid like a 3-way?
Many companies do that and I think it is to appeal to buyers who like the "idea" that there are more woofers. Of course, in a HT environment with subs, that is a bit archaic.

Quote:
I see that the Silver 6 is also the same way, it's 2.5 way. Difference being a RST driver vs C-cam. Their Silver 8 is a 3 way though.
That's why the Silver8 appealed to me and, in part, why I bought them.

Quote:
If I crossover the low frequencies to a subwoofer and set the towers to small, would that then cause the 6.5" woofers in the Bronze 6 to be dedicated mids? How would that work?
Not really since that would not extend their response into the midrange, just remove their bottom-most end to the sub.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #11709 of 11728 Unread 02-17-2017, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Many companies do that and I think it is to appeal to buyers who like the "idea" that there are more woofers. Of course, in a HT environment with subs, that is a bit archaic.

That's why the Silver8 appealed to me and, in part, why I bought them.

Appealed to me too and then I heard the Silver 8 against the 6, a huge improvement in female vocal range.

Now I 'd like a Silver centre to do justice against the 8's
post #11710 of 11728 Unread 02-17-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
Appealed to me too and then I heard the Silver 8 against the 6, a huge improvement in female vocal range.

I just use a third S8 in the middle.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #11711 of 11728 Unread 02-17-2017, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post

The new Silver line may have 3-way center as i spoke with MA tech guys, people have asked it so they are thinking about it. I am not sure does the new line come out this year, but they are working on it now.
danthony1 likes this.
post #11712 of 11728 Unread 02-18-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I just use a third S8 in the middle.
I seriously considered that... For my current setup it would have to be on it's side though.

After some weeks adjusting EQ with REW it's good enough for now, mostly turning off what YPAO had chosen and applying less but better targeted EQ.

I had considered dumping the Silver centre and using phantom centre with the 8's, it sounds so much better provided you are sat dead centre. When the whole family comes around for a movie it doesn't do the job and since buying the Silvers and a Yamaha 3050 everyone comes over much more often...
post #11713 of 11728 Unread 02-18-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Hifi View Post
The new Silver line may have 3-way center as i spoke with MA tech guys, people have asked it so they are thinking about it. I am not sure does the new line come out this year, but they are working on it now.
I got my local dealer to give MA a call while I was there as at one stage I was going to take the centre back. They said no plans or even thoughts about a better centre, I did see MA were at ISE in Amsterdam but I didn't get time to go talk to them.

If they do come out with a better solution that sounds similar enough to the 8's I'll be first in line, I'd considered comparing the Gold centres but as the tweeters are completely different that would probably have just caused me to upgrade everything!!
post #11714 of 11728 Unread 02-18-2017, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello guys.
I currently have MA Bronze 2 speakers at front and back and a MA Bronze center. These are matched up with a Denon 3312 125w receiver. I have no subwoofer but I want one. The MA matching sub (W10) is out of my price range (£450). Can someone here recommend a sub which would blend ok with the speakers, at say £250 max? The room size is 10ft x 10ft.
post #11715 of 11728 Unread 02-21-2017, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I recently auditioned the new Silver 10's, along with the Gold 300. I have to say that I actually prefer the silvers. The larger woofers give them a more well rounded sound, as they should. The golds sounded slightly more "refined" with a little more sparkle perhaps, but were lacking in low frequency extension as compared to the silvers. At more than 2X in price over the silvers is another downside of the Gold 300.

At $2,500/pair, the Silver 10's might just be one of the best values out there in high end audio!

Does anybody have any thoughts on my assessment?

Ray
post #11716 of 11728 Unread 02-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnguy View Post
I recently auditioned the new Silver 10's, along with the Gold 300. I have to say that I actually prefer the silvers. The larger woofers give them a more well rounded sound, as they should. The golds sounded slightly more "refined" with a little more sparkle perhaps, but were lacking in low frequency extension as compared to the silvers. At more than 2X in price over the silvers is another downside of the Gold 300.

At $2,500/pair, the Silver 10's might just be one of the best values out there in high end audio!

Ray
If you like the Silver 10 demo out the Silver 8 before you purchase. That's my only thoughts on your assessment.

Thread to Build:Theater Build
Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Living Room: Aperion Grand Verus, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, 70" Sharp Aquos +more
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm, Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession, Stage 4 - Acceptance
...Which stage are you on?
post #11717 of 11728 Unread Yesterday, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
If you like the Silver 10 demo out the Silver 8 before you purchase. That's my only thoughts on your assessment.
Agreed. I went with the Silver 8's as well after a home Demo for both.

If Jack Bauer was gay, his name would be Chuck Norris
post #11718 of 11728 Unread Yesterday, 11:17 AM

Thanks, I'll do that.

Ray
post #11719 of 11728 Unread Yesterday, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Agreed,...

The 10s work well in a large space.
post #11720 of 11728 Unread Yesterday, 04:00 PM

My room is about 21ft X 22ft w 8ft ceilings, so its a good size at 462 sq ft. I sit 13 ft back, and current speakers are 11 ft apart. I'm sure I could go bigger, but I think the 10's will be more than adequate. I have a wife also, so that's a factor.

Ray
post #11721 of 11728 Unread Yesterday, 05:29 PM

Liked: 4
Great deal - and a request

I owned Monitor Audios in the past - Silver Series towers, and also a pair of Silver monitors. And a pair of Bronze 2s. This was years ago.

I found on eBay a pair of Monitor Audio speakers that had been identified by the seller as "Monitor Audio Model [serial number]." The true model was "Monitor 2." The price was $279.00. Oh, and an ASW100 subwoofer came with, and shipping was free.

I estimate that these speakers probably went for about $800/pr., since the SE model went for $1100/pr. (I have been unable to find much of anything about these.)

I am ecstatic with this deal. The speakers sound great. Fantastic, in fact.

Now, my request: Does anyone know anything about these? They are black, feature a 5" mid/woofer, and a 3/4"(?) tweeter. The tweeter is gold. Unlike those I've read about or seen, these are front-ported with a quite small opening. They are set up for bi-wiring/bi-amping, though I run them single-wired with the jumpers.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

TIA.
post #11722 of 11728 Unread Yesterday, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrtheta View Post
I owned Monitor Audios in the past - Silver Series towers, and also a pair of Silver monitors. And a pair of Bronze 2s. This was years ago.

I found on eBay a pair of Monitor Audio speakers that had been identified by the seller as "Monitor Audio Model [serial number]." The true model was "Monitor 2." The price was $279.00. Oh, and an ASW100 subwoofer came with, and shipping was free.

I estimate that these speakers probably went for about $800/pr., since the SE model went for $1100/pr. (I have been unable to find much of anything about these.)

I am ecstatic with this deal. The speakers sound great. Fantastic, in fact.

Now, my request: Does anyone know anything about these? They are black, feature a 5" mid/woofer, and a 3/4"(?) tweeter. The tweeter is gold. Unlike those I've read about or seen, these are front-ported with a quite small opening. They are set up for bi-wiring/bi-amping, though I run them single-wired with the jumpers.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

TIA.

Post a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11723 of 11728 Unread Yesterday, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony1 View Post
Post a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, posting a pic might take a while. I don't have a digital camera and my phone camera won't work. Will do what I can. Thanks.
post #11724 of 11728 Unread Yesterday, 08:29 PM

Sorry. I have no idea what happened there!
post #11725 of 11728 Unread Yesterday, 08:30 PM

Oops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor2 - 1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1987345   Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor2 - 2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1987353   Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor2 - 3.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1987361  
post #11726 of 11728 Unread Today, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Ray
I have owned a pair of the Silver 10s. Replaced them with a pair of Gold 200s. Went super expensive with a pair of Magico S3s. Replaced them with a pair of PL 200IIs. I found that Golds and Platinums seem to me to have a very sharp, crisp like, detailed presentation. With regards to the Silver 10s and the Magico S3s, they have a warmer, rounder sound. Don't hold me to this comparison. I did not get to compare any of these models, side by side at the same time. For me, it takes a several hours of listening to adjust to any new speaker. Then once I do, I forget what my previous speakers sounded like. Both the Golds and Patinums are gorgeous speakers.
post #11727 of 11728 Unread Today, 02:04 PM

There was a recent review of the PL300 II by Robert Deutsch of Stereophile back in the fall. Apparently he ended up buying the review samples and are now his new reference speakers, replacing Wilson Sabrinas. I have never seen or heard the Platinum line in person-none of the Monitor dealers seem to carry them.

Ray
post #11728 of 11728 Unread Today, 04:51 PM

Quote:
There was a recent review of the PL300 II by Robert Deutsch of Stereophile back in the fall. Apparently he ended up buying the review samples and are now his new reference speakers, replacing Wilson Sabrinas. I have never seen or heard the Platinum line in person-none of the Monitor dealers seem to carry them.

Ray
Here; http://www.stereophile.com/content/m...ibfgCsvJcGq.97
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
cp-wt380idc , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Jl Audio Brand , Monitor Audio , Nad , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Sunfire , Toshiba