Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 392 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 223Likes

post #11731 of 11757 Old 02-24-2017, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrtheta View Post
Oops.

Those look like Silvers series from the late 90's. Predecessor to the Silver 3i that I just sold, a mint pair for about $225.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11732 of 11757 Old 02-24-2017, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony1 View Post
Those look like Silvers series from the late 90's. Predecessor to the Silver 3i that I just sold, a mint pair for about $225.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You might be right. The model number on the back is given as "Monitor 2-S," with the "S" actually handwritten, not preprinted like the rest of the label.

I bought a pair of Silver monitors of some type (bigger than these, though maybe not by much) in, I want to say, 2001. They had the stylized grills, not plain rectangular like these. And 1" gold tweeters, not the small ones like here.

Any idea what they went for new?

Thanks for your help. I looked at every frickin' picture I could find on the Internet, and none of them looked like mine with the front port.

(I'm liking the sub, too. Much better than my more-expensive Dali.)
post #11733 of 11757 Old 02-25-2017, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnguy View Post
I recently auditioned the new Silver 10's, along with the Gold 300. I have to say that I actually prefer the silvers. The larger woofers give them a more well rounded sound, as they should. The golds sounded slightly more "refined" with a little more sparkle perhaps, but were lacking in low frequency extension as compared to the silvers. At more than 2X in price over the silvers is another downside of the Gold 300.

At $2,500/pair, the Silver 10's might just be one of the best values out there in high end audio!

Does anybody have any thoughts on my assessment?

Ray
Back when I bought the Silver 10s, I compared them extensively with the 8s. The latter had a slightly more forward presentation, and a little brighter as well. I liked them a lot, but I feared that they might end up tiring in the long term. I had the exact same reaction as you when I heard the 10s. Their sound seemed more fleshed-out and rounded, somewhat easier to the ears. Of course, my space is also rather large, so I went for the 10s. (Despite its size, my room has a boom at around 90Hz that gets easily excited with the 10s, but I think that it wouldn't be much different with the 8s, as it's relatively high in frequency.)

I guess it comes down to taste and preference. Electronic music, for example, will be served much better by the 10s -even compared to the Gold line, that doesn't have a speaker this big. On the other hand, there's many people out there who don't care for deep bass, and prefer a little bit more sparkle or midrange forwardness, so they will naturally go for the 8s, or a Gold 300 if they can afford it.

There is a reviewer on Soundstage who uses the Silver 10s as his reference speakers. That alone shows how big of a bargain they are.

post #11734 of 11757 Old 02-25-2017, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Monitor Audio Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrtheta View Post
You might be right. The model number on the back is given as "Monitor 2-S," with the "S" actually handwritten, not preprinted like the rest of the label.

I bought a pair of Silver monitors of some type (bigger than these, though maybe not by much) in, I want to say, 2001. They had the stylized grills, not plain rectangular like these. And 1" gold tweeters, not the small ones like here.

Any idea what they went for new?

Thanks for your help. I looked at every frickin' picture I could find on the Internet, and none of them looked like mine with the front port.

(I'm liking the sub, too. Much better than my more-expensive Dali.)

The ones you bought 2001 were probably the silver 3i or 4i. The grills were cut off on the corners, the tweeters were gold and the drivers silver ? I still have my 5i in my office sold the 3i, 4i and center. I still enjoy these speakers a lot they were great and what got me to be a fan of MA. Yours probably listed at $800 or so. The sub about the same to $1k. They show up on E@@y from time to time.

Here's a link to the i speakers that I sold for reference.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/mo...w_listing=true

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by danthony1; 02-25-2017 at 04:57 AM.
post #11735 of 11757 Old 02-25-2017, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,
I purchased Monitor Mass 5.1 system last week along with a Yamaha RX-V681

Can anyone provide me the best settings for the speakers + Sub

I currently have all speakers set to small with a crossover of 90hz

Speakers are wall mounted
post #11736 of 11757 Old 02-25-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony1 View Post
The ones you bought 2001 were probably the silver 3i or 4i. The grills were cut off on the corners, the tweeters were gold and the drivers silver ? I still have my 5i in my office sold the 3i, 4i and center. I still enjoy these speakers a lot they were great and what got me to be a fan of MA. Yours probably listed at $800 or so. The sub about the same to $1k. They show up on E@@y from time to time.

Here's a link to the i speakers that I sold for reference.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/mo...w_listing=true

@danthony1 : Unfortunately, the Audiogon listing that comes up (on my ancient computer, anyway) does not contain any photos.

Yes, I had the style of Silver "i"s you describe. It's funny - when I traded the Silver i monitors for a pair of Whatmough monitors (which I also stupidly got rid of later in exchange for floorstanders that were too big for my room at the time), the guy at the shop taking the MAs in trade hooked them up to verify they worked reacted visibly to them, and even asked "Are you sure you want to get rid of these?" (Significant, since the Whatmoughs were much pricier.) Idiot that I am, I said "Yup."

The closest photos I've seen to what I have were on a Japanese website (via Google Images). They called them "Monitor 2s" and had the front ports. I'm thinking of emailing the pix and serial numbers to MA.

Thanks again!
post #11737 of 11757 Old 02-26-2017, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
I just ordered a second Gold W15 sub, there are none in the country though and it will take a month or more.

I have bass problems in my room and a second sub will help a lot. After that I'll finish the bass trapping.
post #11738 of 11757 Old 02-26-2017, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebee23 View Post
Back when I bought the Silver 10s, I compared them extensively with the 8s. The latter had a slightly more forward presentation, and a little brighter as well. I liked them a lot, but I feared that they might end up tiring in the long term. I had the exact same reaction as you when I heard the 10s. Their sound seemed more fleshed-out and rounded, somewhat easier to the ears. Of course, my space is also rather large, so I went for the 10s. (Despite its size, my room has a boom at around 90Hz that gets easily excited with the 10s, but I think that it wouldn't be much different with the 8s, as it's relatively high in frequency.)

I guess it comes down to taste and preference. Electronic music, for example, will be served much better by the 10s -even compared to the Gold line, that doesn't have a speaker this big. On the other hand, there's many people out there who don't care for deep bass, and prefer a little bit more sparkle or midrange forwardness, so they will naturally go for the 8s, or a Gold 300 if they can afford it.

There is a reviewer on Soundstage who uses the Silver 10s as his reference speakers. That alone shows how big of a bargain they are.
how big is your room?

Ray
post #11739 of 11757 Old 02-27-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnguy View Post
how big is your room?

Ray
Hi Ray, my room is >50 sq.m., but it features a 1m-wide structrural wall mid-space, right behind the listening position, which causes the 90Hz boom. This boom was noticeable and annoying even with my previous speakers, the smallish PSB Image T45s, but now with the much more powerful Silver 10s it's even worse.

My plan is to EQ it out, because I can't use bass traps in the living room. When I borrowed a friend's Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 with its sophisticated automatic EQ system (and 350W per channel at 4 Ohms), my jaw dropped at how good and deep the Silvers can sound.
post #11740 of 11757 Old 02-27-2017, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi Ray, my room is >50 sq.m., but it features a 1m-wide structrural wall mid-space, right behind the listening position, which causes the 90Hz boom. This boom was noticeable and annoying even with my previous speakers, the smallish PSB Image T45s, but now with the much more powerful Silver 10s it's even worse.

My plan is to EQ it out, because I can't use bass traps in the living room. When I borrowed a friend's Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 with its sophisticated automatic EQ system (and 350W per channel at 4 Ohms), my jaw dropped at how good and deep the Silvers can sound.
thanks
post #11741 of 11757 Old 02-27-2017, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi guys.

I'm considering a new audio setup in my home theater. I have a Marantz 7011 and a few external amps for power. My room is roughly 30' x 25'.

We're looking most closely at the Platinum, Gold and Silver Series' but are looking for recommendations. Is the "Platinum" Series with the price increase over Gold and Silver? Gold over Silver? Is that PLC350 II 3x the speaker as its Gold counterpart? Is the Gold center 2x the speaker of the Silver version?

We're assuming we'll need a couple of subs, the big fronts, the center, and a pair of the dedicated surrounds. What are you all using for rear channels? The bookshelves?

Want to plan it right if we're going to do it. Measure twice, cut once. Unfortunately since most of these speakers are hard to demo, I'm somewhat reliant on internet impressions and reviews which means AVSForum to me.

Also looking at some other brands as well, so if there's anything you all recommend giving a listen to, I'm taking recommendations!

Thanks, all.
post #11742 of 11757 Old 02-27-2017, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynol View Post
Hi guys.

I'm considering a new audio setup in my home theater. I have a Marantz 7011 and a few external amps for power. My room is roughly 30' x 25'.

We're looking most closely at the Platinum, Gold and Silver Series' but are looking for recommendations. Is the "Platinum" Series with the price increase over Gold and Silver? Gold over Silver? Is that PLC350 II 3x the speaker as its Gold counterpart? Is the Gold center 2x the speaker of the Silver version?

We're assuming we'll need a couple of subs, the big fronts, the center, and a pair of the dedicated surrounds. What are you all using for rear channels? The bookshelves?

Want to plan it right if we're going to do it. Measure twice, cut once. Unfortunately since most of these speakers are hard to demo, I'm somewhat reliant on internet impressions and reviews which means AVSForum to me.

Also looking at some other brands as well, so if there's anything you all recommend giving a listen to, I'm taking recommendations!

Thanks, all.
Unless you are able to demo these in your home, it's a crap shoot.
It doesn't matter how good they sound in the store.

IMHO the Platinums are as good as any Speaker I've ever heard ( the PL200's)

I couldn't afford them, so it was the Silver 8's I picked as the best Bang for my buck.

Jack Bauer can unscramble an egg.
post #11743 of 11757 Old 02-27-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBMAN View Post
Unless you are able to demo these in your home, it's a crap shoot.
It doesn't matter how good they sound in the store.

IMHO the Platinums are as good as any Speaker I've ever heard ( the PL200's)

I couldn't afford them, so it was the Silver 8's I picked as the best Bang for my buck.
Roger that. and ty for your thoughts.
post #11744 of 11757 Old 02-27-2017, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi guys.

Thanks, all.
Th fact that the monitor audio gold c350 is a 3 way speaker was a massive part of me choosing the gold series.

The ribbon tweeters are amazing as well. If you get fatigue from metal dome tweeters those might be the answer.

Bottom line is though that when you go cheap you always pay twice, because if you're not happy when you settle for less, you're up for the cost of the upgrade plus what you've already spent, which costs a lot more in the long run.

Plus the silvers are several years old and likely the next to be refreshed with a new series, possibly one with a 3 way centre.

If you begin to invest in an older series now, by the time you want to go for 7.1 or atmos etc the speakers from that series will no longer be sold.

I would wait for the next silver series or go for the gold. You can always go for the smaller gold series speakers to get the increased quality without the max price tag attached. But I wouldn't settle for the smaller centre in any scenario.
post #11745 of 11757 Old 02-28-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Hi guys.

Thanks, all.
Not trying to offend anyone, but I can see that it's common in the US and Canada to pair high-end speakers such as the Platinums with AV receivers, but in Europe this is considered too over-the-top to even be called an overkill. There is no way you can possibly do justice to the Platinums (or even the Golds, for that matter) with a $2K AV-receiver. IMHO, the Silvers will more than suffice.

Last edited by eyebee23; 02-28-2017 at 12:08 AM.
post #11746 of 11757 Old 02-28-2017, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello guys, just got an account to be able to ask this question. This seemed to be the right place to ask it. I've been able to buy a pair of used Monitor Audio (gold) GX200 and my question is what center speakers could fit "well" with these two. I have a sub and back speakers which are Dali zensor 1's if that matters. What i mean with well is better then buying any 8 ohm impedance center at random. Im looking at a budget around 100-270 euros ( 85 - 230 GBP ).

Would really appreciate the help! Thanks
post #11747 of 11757 Old 02-28-2017, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Not trying to offend anyone, but I can see that it's common in the US and Canada to pair high-end speakers such as the Platinums with AV receivers, but in Europe this is considered too over-the-top to even be called an overkill. There is no way you can possibly do justice to the Platinums (or even the Golds, for that matter) with a $2K AV-receiver. IMHO, the Silvers will more than suffice.
It depends on everyone's budget but to respond to your direct question I run a dedicated amp for my platinums. I let the AVR power the rear/surrounds as I don't feel they need the juice as much as the front sound stage does.

Thread to Build:Theater Build
Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Living Room: Aperion Grand Verus, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, 70" Sharp Aquos +more
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm, Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession, Stage 4 - Acceptance
...Which stage are you on?
post #11748 of 11757 Old 02-28-2017, 11:35 AM

More on my Monitor Audio Monitor 2-S mystery speakers. I posted photos the other day to try and figure out just what I had bought on eBay.

They are labelled "Monitor 2-S" on the model/serial number labels. However, being front-ported, I was unable to locate the exact speakers in my research. So, I wrote to Monitor Audio in Essex.

According to Dan Rogers of MA, he cannot locate them either. He suspects they were built by the previous owner of MA, Mo Iqbal, who, he says, was "notorious" for making "special edition" speakers without creating any literature for them. Otherwise, the drivers seem to be those used in one edition of the Monitor 2, while the cabinet seems the same size as another edition which also had front ports. (Dan also wondered whether these were created by a previous owner, but the speakers show no sign of modification and the job would be a lot to do for a small pair of bookshelves.)

Dan was helpful. He is even sending me replacement badges for the grills, gratis. I wrote him back today with a couple of other questions. I hope he has the time to respond again.
ambesolman likes this.
post #11749 of 11757 Old 03-01-2017, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to this thread, but I'm thinking of taking the plunge into the MA world and getting a pair of GS20's.

My room is somewhat sparse, with hardwood floors and not a lot of furniture.

I heard a friend's GR20's and liked them a lot, but his room was carpeted and had a lot more furnishings in his room.

What I'm wondering: Are the GS20's a "bright" speaker? My biggest potential concern is that I'll find them too bright in my room, which I find fatiguing over time.

Thanks for any input!
post #11750 of 11757 Old 03-01-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth, we have 3 dedicated amps driving our speakers. The fronts (possibly platinums) would be on their own amp.
post #11751 of 11757 Old 03-08-2017, 11:44 AM

More on my Monitor Mystery: Someone on another forum found the same speakers I have (in walnut, though) on eBay. The seller did not post the model number (I confirmed they are the same via pictures on the ad), so I have forwarded the pix to Dan Rogers at Monitor Audio. The poster on the other forum (who is apparently way better at this than me) says he has found references on Audiogon to a "Monitor 2.5" and "Monitor Audio Gold 2.5". And the "2-S" I thought I was reading on the model label could just as easily be "2.5". (The "Monitor" is preprinted, but the "2-S" or "2.5" is handwritten.

My quest continues. I will post more as a learn it. If you don't care, just skip those posts!
Shadowed likes this.
post #11752 of 11757 Old 03-12-2017, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by eitakura View Post
New to this thread, but I'm thinking of taking the plunge into the MA world and getting a pair of GS20's.

My room is somewhat sparse, with hardwood floors and not a lot of furniture.

I heard a friend's GR20's and liked them a lot, but his room was carpeted and had a lot more furnishings in his room.

What I'm wondering: Are the GS20's a "bright" speaker? My biggest potential concern is that I'll find them too bright in my room, which I find fatiguing over time.

Thanks for any input!

Those are a few models old so there may not be a lot of owners who can speak to them. I have golds, but they have a ribbon tweeter so I don't think they compare. If you're worried about the sound, could could always invest in an area run and wall art or sound products to help stop reflections which may cause the sound to bounce around.

post #11753 of 11757 Old 03-15-2017, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I have good news guys! Monitor Audio will launch new Silver line at june!! Keep checking the website as they will put some information there soon!
Dookiethree likes this.
post #11754 of 11757 Old 03-15-2017, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Speaking of new models: I'm selling a pair of PL100 II's w/stands over in the classifieds if anyone is interested.
post #11755 of 11757 Old 03-15-2017, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Hifi View Post
I have good news guys! Monitor Audio will launch new Silver line at june!! Keep checking the website as they will put some information there soon!
link?

Thread to Build:Theater Build
Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Living Room: Aperion Grand Verus, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, 70" Sharp Aquos +more
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm, Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession, Stage 4 - Acceptance
...Which stage are you on?
post #11756 of 11757 Old 03-15-2017, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
link?
I guess they meant to look for the Monitor Audio homepage. Got the info from MA straight as i was having a conversation.
This means the "old" Silver line should go on a sale soon. So if someone is looking for Silvers, it`s better to wait little while!

Wondering what kind of jump in sound quality is coming. Maybe some tech from the Gold serie? Most of people liked the upgrade from Silver RX to this line. 3 months and we`ll see.

Edit. Just subscribed to newsletter in uk page, should have the news fast then!

Last edited by Mr_Hifi; 03-15-2017 at 12:26 PM.
post #11757 of 11757 Old Today, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Seems a little early for new silvers. Didn't the new line only come out 2 or 3 years ago?

Sent using Tapatalk cuz the mobile version is still
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
cp-wt380idc , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Jl Audio Brand , Monitor Audio , Nad , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Sunfire , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page