Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 393 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 223Likes
post #11761 of 11773 Unread 03-26-2017, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
As were the silvers and bronze, they've all been refreshed in the last few years. What was the time btw the RX release and the new silvers? That would be a more accurate time frame of when to expect new updates.

Sent using Tapatalk cuz the mobile version is still
I know the Golds were just changing from V1 to V2 or GX to Gold as they were dubbed back in November when I was starting to really narrow in on a couple of brands. But I don't know when the new Silver's launched.

Living Room - Monitor Audio Gold 100, Monitor Audio CP-IW460X center, Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC, SVS-SB2000 X 2, Samsung UN55F9000, Oppo BDP-93, Playstation 4, NAD M15HD2, NAD M27

Dedicated Theater in Process - KEF XQ20, KEF XQ50C Center, KEF Ci200QR, NAD M15Hd2, NAD M25, Sony Playstation 3, Samsung DLP TV - (future projector), Subs TBD -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11762 of 11773 Unread Yesterday, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How good or bad is the MR10 subwoofer paired with the MR6 setup?
post #11763 of 11773 Unread Yesterday, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
As were the silvers and bronze, they've all been refreshed in the last few years. What was the time btw the RX release and the new silvers? That would be a more accurate time frame of when to expect new updates.

I believe usually 5-6 years between refreshes for MA...

If I recall correctly, Gold Reference released in 2001, Gold Signature in 2006, GX in 2011 and the latest Gold in 2016, so that's 5 yrs in between..

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X6200W, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, 4 x C380LCR and 2 x Martin Logan Descent I
2 Channel - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Marantz SA-KI-Pearl, Mapletree Line 2C RM, Parasound Halo A21, JL Audio E112 and ATS Acoustics room treatments

post #11764 of 11773 Unread Yesterday, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Silver 6 Owners

Hello,

Owners of the Silver 6. Do you notice any issues with the treble/height being that it is a smaller tower? I've read some reviews of smaller towers of different brands where they had to angle the speaker so that the low height didn't cause any issues with listening position. I've not seen anything indicating this with the Silver 6 reviews I've read so I'm assuming it's a moot point? My room is about 14x22. (will use sub for movies).

Unfortunately I have not had a chance to demo the Silver 6. I have listened to the Silver 8. I love the sound of them. However the 4 ohms requirement would mean I'd definitely have to look at a new AVR that is stable with 4 ohms. I've been considering the "possibility" of going to a smaller footprint. For right now I'm still using an 18yr Yamaha 5.1 80 watts. Only doing 3.1.

Coming from Infinity primus 360's, I would think the 6's would be an improvement over the Infinity's even being 2.5 way. If I decide not to do smaller speaker then it's the 8's all the way.

Thanks!
Z
post #11765 of 11773 Unread Yesterday, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjianmeister View Post
Hello,

Owners of the Silver 6. Do you notice any issues with the treble/height being that it is a smaller tower? I've read some reviews of smaller towers of different brands where they had to angle the speaker so that the low height didn't cause any issues with listening position. I've not seen anything indicating this with the Silver 6 reviews I've read so I'm assuming it's a moot point? My room is about 14x22. (will use sub for movies).

Unfortunately I have not had a chance to demo the Silver 6. I have listened to the Silver 8. I love the sound of them. However the 4 ohms requirement would mean I'd definitely have to look at a new AVR that is stable with 4 ohms. I've been considering the "possibility" of going to a smaller footprint. For right now I'm still using an 18yr Yamaha 5.1 80 watts. Only doing 3.1.

Coming from Infinity primus 360's, I would think the 6's would be an improvement over the Infinity's even being 2.5 way. If I decide not to do smaller speaker then it's the 8's all the way.

Thanks!
Z
I'm an owner of Silver RS6's , RSLRC. I used the spikes to tilt them back. (back pair full in, front pair turned all the way out) Didn't like it all. They sounded much better to me with the speakers level. My ears are "roughly" 8 to 12 inches higher where I sit and its great. Of course you can try everything when you get them. For me level with very little toe in does the trick.

Doug
post #11766 of 11773 Unread Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!
Z
I had the Silver 8's .....fantastic speaker. Don't let the 4 ohms rating fool you. They are easy to drive, what AVR are you using ?

Taken from Stereophile

"Though the Silver 8's impedance is specified as 4 ohms, its measured impedance magnitude (fig.1, solid trace) remains at or above 5 ohms for the entire audioband other than the region between 100 and 300Hz, where it reaches a minimum value of 3.5 ohms at 165Hz. The electrical phase angle is generally benign, though there is a combination of –34° and 4.5 ohms at 100Hz, a frequency where music can have high energy. A 4 ohm–rated amplifier or receiver will have no problems driving this speaker to high levels."

Jack Bauer can unscramble an egg.
post #11767 of 11773 Unread Yesterday, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Hello,

Do you notice any issues with the treble/height being that it is a smaller tower? I've read some reviews of smaller towers of different brands where they had to angle the speaker so that the low height didn't cause any issues with listening position.
You just have to slouch lower in your chair...
post #11768 of 11773 Unread Today, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:

Some googling...

" At CEDIA 2009, one of my most enjoyable booth visits involved a meeting with Monitor Audio Technical Director Dean Hartley to discuss his firm’s new Silver RX line of loudspeakers. "

"The new Silver series loudspeakers will be available in November, 2013"

So 4 years. And from 2013 to 2017 = again 4 years. So it should be a whole new model. But what i`m hoping for is the new 3-way center as i talked with MA`s tech guy and he said lot of people were asking about the 3-way center and they were investigating if it would be possible, same time saying Bronze will not get two choices for center speaker in future. Asked about it last year. Someone here said they will not bring it, but let`s wait and see. I did ask it last time when i talked MA about this new line, but they didn`t answer the question..
post #11769 of 11773 Unread Today, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone make a move from the Gold GX200's to the Platinum PL100's ?

Thinking about doing this. Pros and cons ?

Running with a SVS PB12-Plus. I like to listen between 75-85 dbs

post #11770 of 11773 Unread Today, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I am in the process of trying to replace my from satellite speakers with the MA Bronze series. I'm looking at either the Bronze 5 or Bronze 6 as the left and right. Aside from a deeper bass due to the extra driver and bigger driver size, is there a hung difference in the mids and highs between the two? I would be paring these up with a 200 watt KEF sub and using a Marantz AV receiver. I would be using them for both 5.1 home theater and 2 channel music. How well will the Bronze 5 perform compared to the Bronze 6 in two channel without a sub?
post #11771 of 11773 Unread Today, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookiethree View Post
I'm an owner of Silver RS6's , RSLRC. I used the spikes to tilt them back. (back pair full in, front pair turned all the way out) Didn't like it all. They sounded much better to me with the speakers level. My ears are "roughly" 8 to 12 inches higher where I sit and its great. Of course you can try everything when you get them. For me level with very little toe in does the trick.

Doug
Dookiethree,
Thank you. I figured as much as I haven't read about any issues about the tower height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBMAN View Post
I had the Silver 8's .....fantastic speaker. Don't let the 4 ohms rating fool you. They are easy to drive, what AVR are you using ?

Taken from Stereophile

"Though the Silver 8's impedance is specified as 4 ohms, its measured impedance magnitude (fig.1, solid trace) remains at or above 5 ohms for the entire audioband other than the region between 100 and 300Hz, where it reaches a minimum value of 3.5 ohms at 165Hz. The electrical phase angle is generally benign, though there is a combination of –34° and 4.5 ohms at 100Hz, a frequency where music can have high energy. A 4 ohm–rated amplifier or receiver will have no problems driving this speaker to high levels."

PSBMAN,
Good catch. Somehow I missed that about the impedance being higher.
Right now I'm using an old school Yamaha receiver. It's 80 watts for each channel x five before they all started using the 2 channel driven nonsense. I'm not sure it would cut it. Worst case I can try and see if the receiver cuts off. Wouldn't want to damage it though. I'm not sure if they had the overload cutoff back then. It's an rxv992. It does have the impedance switch on the back which I don't touch.
Being I don't really want to delve into separates at this time if I was to upgrade the AVR I was looking at the Yamaha rxa3060 (which unfortunately won't fit in my cabinet) and the Cambridge CXR 200.

@ Shadowed,
No slouching

Z
post #11772 of 11773 Unread Today, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Dookiethree,
Thank you. I figured as much as I haven't read about any issues about the tower height.

PSBMAN,
Good catch. Somehow I missed that about the impedance being higher.
Right now I'm using an old school Yamaha receiver. It's 80 watts for each channel x five before they all started using the 2 channel driven nonsense. I'm not sure it would cut it. Worst case I can try and see if the receiver cuts off. Wouldn't want to damage it though. I'm not sure if they had the overload cutoff back then. It's an rxv992. It does have the impedance switch on the back which I don't touch.
Being I don't really want to delve into separates at this time if I was to upgrade the AVR I was looking at the Yamaha rxa3060 (which unfortunately won't fit in my cabinet) and the Cambridge CXR 200.

@ Shadowed,
No slouching

Z
If you are running a sub with it you should have no issues as the sub will take a huge load off the receiver. However, it never hurts to have power to spare. An older 80w/ch Yammy may not be up to snuff. If you like to playback at moderate levels, I'd upgrade if possible.

Last edited by PSBMAN; Today at 12:04 PM.
post #11773 of 11773 Unread Today, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBMAN View Post
If you are running a sub with it you should have no issues as the sub will take a huge load off the receiver. However, it never hurts to have power to spare. An older 80w/ch Yammy may not be up to snuff. If you like to playback at moderate levels, I'd upgrade if possible.
Yes, I'd definitely be using a sub for movies. For 2 channel music listening though I prefer not using a sub. Interestingly audioholics rated the infinity primus 363 as a 4 ohm speaker. I never had any issues driving my 360's. Though Monitor Audio recommends minimum of 80 watts whereas the Infinity much lower.

Z

Last edited by Zildjianmeister; Today at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
cp-wt380idc , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Jl Audio Brand , Monitor Audio , Nad , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Sunfire , Toshiba