Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 395 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 239Likes

post #11821 of 11840 Old 04-15-2017, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I tested both out and found the PL200 more appealing. I currently own the PL200 after demo of the Gold 300 and the Silver 8. The PL200 used is about on par with what a Gold 300 new costs. It made the choice rather simple for me at the end of the day.
I have a Demo pair of PL200's in my living room now, and just got back from an A/B comparison between the MA Gold 300 and the B&W CM10 S2

It wasn't even close. The 300's are soooo much more open, detailed and spacious. The PL200's are even more so.......

I'm keeping the Platinum PL200's !!!
postrokfan likes this.

Jack Bauer can unscramble an egg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11822 of 11840 Old 04-15-2017, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBMAN View Post
I have a Demo pair of PL200's in my living room now, and just got back from an A/B comparison between the MA Gold 300 and the B&W CM10 S2

It wasn't even close. The 300's are soooo much more open, detailed and spacious. The PL200's are even more so.......

I'm keeping the Platinum PL200's !!!
thats interesting to hear the monitor audio golds sound better than the B AND W cm10s

i plan to audition the golds soon. im planning to go up from montor audio silvers!

LG 4K OLED65B6V PROUD OWNER, Oppo 203/PANASONIC UB900 4K player, Xbox One 2.5TB, PS3, Yamaha A-S500, Monitor Audio RX2 , Rega DAC, SKY HD

33 4k discs and counting!
621 slipcovers, 450 steelbooks, 35 digibooks, 4 digipacks, 65 boxsets..........the rest amarays.
post #11823 of 11840 Old 04-16-2017, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Baker View Post
thats interesting to hear the monitor audio golds sound better than the B AND W cm10s

i plan to audition the golds soon. im planning to go up from montor audio silvers!
I really can't stress enough to find a Dealer and have them set up a proper A/B of the speakers you are considering. Not always easy I know, but very much worth it.

If I wasn't able to get such a good deal on the Platinum PL200 ( about 4200 US) the Gold 300's would be an easy Pick.

post #11824 of 11840 Old 04-16-2017, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Well, it looks like I'm going to take my own advice. My dealer has agreed to bring a pair of 300 Golds to my place so I can do a proper A/B between them and the PL200's. He is convinced the new gold 300 will sound more open and 3D like ( what does 3D sound like) Lol

We'll see how it goes. I can have a pair of Premium Ebony 300's for about 3400 US plus tax.

Happy Easter everyone !!
Shadowed likes this.

post #11825 of 11840 Old 04-17-2017, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Monitor Audio CT-380IDC in ceiling speakers who has them and do you like them. Unfortunately in my situation I have to use 7 ceiling speakers only and a subwoofer in the great room. I am leaning toward the monitor audio in ceiling due to the enclosure but have not heard them. Any feedback is appreciated. I did listen to the Martin Logan Vanquish and it truly imaged quite well but thought they were a tad bright.
Thanks in advance for your help
post #11826 of 11840 Old 04-18-2017, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Monitor Audio Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbenzz View Post
Monitor Audio CT-380IDC in ceiling speakers who has them and do you like them. Unfortunately in my situation I have to use 7 ceiling speakers only and a subwoofer in the great room. I am leaning toward the monitor audio in ceiling due to the enclosure but have not heard them. Any feedback is appreciated. I did listen to the Martin Logan Vanquish and it truly imaged quite well but thought they were a tad bright.

Thanks in advance for your help

I have their older brother the C380idc. They were great with my monitor audio silvers. I blew a woofer so I bought a pair of C280lcr, same speakers with lower end woofer and they were also great. I moved to revel speakers and changed out my ceilings but would mot hesitate to go that route again. I actually just sold the 280's and shipped them today.

I used these speakers for surround and Atmos never as my main speakers so ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11827 of 11840 Old 04-18-2017, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony1 View Post
I have their older brother the C380idc. They were great with my monitor audio silvers. I blew a woofer so I bought a pair of C280lcr, same speakers with lower end woofer and they were also great. I moved to revel speakers and changed out my ceilings but would mot hesitate to go that route again. I actually just sold the 280's and shipped them today.

I used these speakers for surround and Atmos never as my main speakers so ymmv.

Thanks for the input as I cannot find any information on theses speaker other than from the Monitor website.
post #11828 of 11840 Old 04-19-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input as I cannot find any information on theses speaker other than from the Monitor website.

Same as the IDC except the new ones have a magnetic grill and a closed back.

post #11829 of 11840 Old 04-19-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Just realized my typo i had the C380-LCR not idc. Difference is still the magnetic grill and open vs closed back

post #11830 of 11840 Old 04-23-2017, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well over the weekend i did some traveling and came across a little home audio storefront. Decided to stop for a break. They had a pair of silver 10 set up for demo so I said why not. I forget what concert disk he put in because frankly I was trying to figure out exactly what I was hearing. For one they get extremely loud. Sounded like I was at a concert. Very detailed,crisp,open,the highs were bright but not harsh or fatiguing, excellent midrange. Unfortunately they had no center so I couldn't really give them a whirl for HT. I'm surprised these speakers aren't little more popular. I guess because maybe the price and the lack of home audio stores these days.

For you guys with these speakers how do they perform at low volume for HT. Does the silver 10 center offer the same sound as the towers? I have a huge open floor plan with vaulted ceiling and have carpet with no wall treatments...will these get super bright on me. With one word please describe these speakers in your set up and a breif description of your lay out. The room I listened to them and my room are the opposite lay out.

Sorry for all the questions just little scared of the price since I can't find anybody online that offers a free home trial.

If you couldn't tell from the first paragraph I really really liked these speakers. Just wish I could have heard them in a HT set up which is mainly what I listen to.

Edit: got a lead that crutchfield carries them so that takes care of the home trial thing would still like your thoughts with my listening preferences and concerns.

Sony XBR 940D
Klipsch RP 280f
Klipsch RP 450c
Klipsch RP 240s
Paradigm PDR12
Yamah RX-A1050

Last edited by Bacovish; 04-23-2017 at 08:21 AM.
post #11831 of 11840 Old 04-23-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacovish View Post
Well over the weekend i did some traveling and came across a little home audio storefront. Decided to stop for a break. They had a pair of silver 10 set up for demo so I said why not. I forget what concert disk he put in because frankly I was trying to figure out exactly what I was hearing. For one they get extremely loud. Sounded like I was at a concert. Very detailed,crisp,open,the highs were bright but not harsh or fatiguing, excellent midrange. Unfortunately they had no center so I couldn't really give them a whirl for HT. I'm surprised these speakers aren't little more popular. I guess because maybe the price and the lack of home audio stores these days.

For you guys with these speakers how do they perform at low volume for HT. Does the silver 10 center offer the same sound as the towers? I have a huge open floor plan with vaulted ceiling and have carpet with no wall treatments...will these get super bright on me. With one word please describe these speakers in your set up and a breif description of your lay out. The room I listened to them and my room are the opposite lay out.

Sorry for all the questions just little scared of the price since I can't find anybody online that offers a free home trial.

If you couldn't tell from the first paragraph I really really liked these speakers. Just wish I could have heard them in a HT set up which is mainly what I listen to.

Edit: got a lead that crutchfield carries them so that takes care of the home trial thing would still like your thoughts with my listening preferences and concerns.
I have them as fronts in my HT, they have an anthem 225 feeding them. On their own, they do everything you noticed very well along with gobs of smooth bass and mid bass with a punch. I have no issues with them at low volumes either.

I cant say much about the center. I haven't seen much love for it in this thread. It seems to be regarded as an adequate 2 way center. I am using a silver 8 for a center.

There is supposed to be new silvers coming out soon so there should be some big discounts coming on current ones. The new line is rumored to have a 3 way center.
imureh and Bacovish like this.

Last edited by Shadowed; 04-23-2017 at 09:45 AM.
post #11832 of 11840 Old 04-23-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
I have them as fronts in my HT, they have an anthem 225 feeding them. On their own, they do everything you noticed very well along with gobs of smooth bass and mid bass with a punch. I have no issues with them at low volumes either.

I cant say much about the center. I haven't seen much love for it in this thread. It seems to be regarded as an adequate 2 way center. I am using a silver 8 for a center.

There is supposed to be new silvers coming out soon so there should be some big discounts coming on current ones. The new line is rumored to have a 3 way center.
Interesting. I wonder how the new 3way will mate with the silver line being phased out. We will see I guess. Do you have any complaints using the 8 center. Dialogue good? What is your floor plan. Open? Treated?carpet? Thanks for your replies and taking the time.

Sony XBR 940D
Klipsch RP 280f
Klipsch RP 450c
Klipsch RP 240s
Paradigm PDR12
Yamah RX-A1050
post #11833 of 11840 Old 04-23-2017, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Those are very good speakers. In fact, I can't really understand why people buy any other kind.

I can't speak to HT, but, hell, I don't see how they could be anything but great for it. They're astounding for 2 channel.
Bacovish likes this.
post #11834 of 11840 Old 04-24-2017, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. I wonder how the new 3way will mate with the silver line being phased out. We will see I guess. Do you have any complaints using the 8 center. Dialogue good? What is your floor plan. Open? Treated?carpet? Thanks for your replies and taking the time.
The silver 8 makes a very good center speaker, It is behind a AT theater screen.
The room is 24x24 in part of an unfinished basement so it is not a very reflective room yet.
MA RX8 surrounds and 4 bronze 1 for atmos.
A Full-Marty sub for ULF and another waiting to be built.

Bathroom and kitchen renos are taking priority but in the meantime, basement sounds amazingly good!
Bacovish likes this.
post #11835 of 11840 Old 04-25-2017, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I am looking for a pair of speakers for a music only system. I prefer to get away without using a subwoofer. I have been looking at the Silver 8 and the Silver 10. Any one out there that has heard both, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
post #11836 of 11840 Old 04-25-2017, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post
I am looking for a pair of speakers for a music only system. I prefer to get away without using a subwoofer. I have been looking at the Silver 8 and the Silver 10. Any one out there that has heard both, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
The 10s definitely produce a lot of very impressive bass on their own. I have a Velodyne Impact-12 sub (~$400) and it was not even close to keeping up to the silver 10s. A lot will depend on your room and positioning.

I have not heard a pair of silver 8s on their own, but they were said to be very similar to the 10s, just a little less bass and mid bass punch.

I am sure you have looked at the specs for both...
http://www.monitoraudio.ca/products/silver/silver-8
http://www.monitoraudio.ca/products/silver/silver-10

Last edited by Shadowed; 04-25-2017 at 09:15 AM.
post #11837 of 11840 Old 04-25-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I have the Silver 8's which are supposedly more similar to the 10's than to the 6's. I was very unimpressed with the Silver 6's but the 8's are really nice. The biggest difference with from the 6's was midrange, I was especially comparing female vocals, the 8's are very clear across that range.

I was especially interested in their response at lower volumes, most speakers don't "wake up" until significantly driven. These come up very smoothly with full frequency range reproduction even at very low level and little tonal balance change as the level increases. The only other speakers I've heard below the price of the MA Silvers that do this properly are QA 3020's and 3050's

I found that the 8's required some space behind them, minimum 18" from the wall with or without foam bungs. I did a bunch of REW measurements afterwards and the responses seem to agree with my by ear positioning.

My dealer was dubious about letting me hear the 8's as I'm in an apartment, room is ~15'x14'. They said the 8's need a bit of space around them and the 10's especially so.

The Silver center is very disappointing, I was close to returning mine, I bought it unheard under the mistaken assumption that it would match the 8's in some way or other, it doesn't. It's not completely horrible, most of my initial distaste was caused by my Yamaha 3050's YPAO trying to correct for it's holes in the vocal range, once I removed the over enthusiastic correction it sounded ok but only ok. I've tried virtual center which sounds great from the center seat but isn't really practical for everyone else.

I'd love another 8 as center but my screen is a screen painted wall so no chance to do that. I'm hoping the rumoured 3 way new silver center will be more Silver 8 than Silver 6. I think the current Center would match ok with the Silver 6's.

The 8's are very efficient but present a 4ohm load (as I believe the 10's do) my Yamaha 3050 wasn't really man enough at 4 ohm so I drive my LCR from an oldie but still goodie Sony STR 930 and let the Yamaha do everything else for 7.2.4.
post #11838 of 11840 Old 04-25-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
I have the Silver 8's which are supposedly more similar to the 10's than to the 6's. I was very unimpressed with the Silver 6's but the 8's are really nice. The biggest difference with from the 6's was midrange, I was especially comparing female vocals, the 8's are very clear across that range.

I was especially interested in their response at lower volumes, most speakers don't "wake up" until significantly driven. These come up very smoothly with full frequency range reproduction even at very low level and little tonal balance change as the level increases. The only other speakers I've heard below the price of the MA Silvers that do this properly are QA 3020's and 3050's

I found that the 8's required some space behind them, minimum 18" from the wall with or without foam bungs. I did a bunch of REW measurements afterwards and the responses seem to agree with my by ear positioning.

My dealer was dubious about letting me hear the 8's as I'm in an apartment, room is ~15'x14'. They said the 8's need a bit of space around them and the 10's especially so.

The Silver center is very disappointing, I was close to returning mine, I bought it unheard under the mistaken assumption that it would match the 8's in some way or other, it doesn't. It's not completely horrible, most of my initial distaste was caused by my Yamaha 3050's YPAO trying to correct for it's holes in the vocal range, once I removed the over enthusiastic correction it sounded ok but only ok. I've tried virtual center which sounds great from the center seat but isn't really practical for everyone else.

I'd love another 8 as center but my screen is a screen painted wall so no chance to do that. I'm hoping the rumoured 3 way new silver center will be more Silver 8 than Silver 6. I think the current Center would match ok with the Silver 6's.

The 8's are very efficient but present a 4ohm load (as I believe the 10's do) my Yamaha 3050 wasn't really man enough at 4 ohm so I drive my LCR from an oldie but still goodie Sony STR 930 and let the Yamaha do everything else for 7.2.4.
Thanks for the reply. Honestly I haven't heard anything good about the center. Disappointing for sure when spending this kind of money. I'm definitely going to wait and see what the new line is all about. There are a couple of other manufacturers I'm waiting on also to release their new lines.

Sony XBR 940D
Klipsch RP 280f
Klipsch RP 450c
Klipsch RP 240s
Paradigm PDR12
Yamah RX-A1050
post #11839 of 11840 Old Yesterday, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post
Here is an earlier post of mine re: your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebee23 View Post
Back when I bought the Silver 10s, I compared them extensively with the 8s. The latter had a slightly more forward presentation, and a little brighter as well. I liked them a lot, but I feared that they might end up tiring in the long term. I had the exact same reaction as you when I heard the 10s. Their sound seemed more fleshed-out and rounded, somewhat easier to the ears. Of course, my space is also rather large, so I went for the 10s. (Despite its size, my room has a boom at around 90Hz that gets easily excited with the 10s, but I think that it wouldn't be much different with the 8s, as it's relatively high in frequency.)

I guess it comes down to taste and preference. Electronic music, for example, will be served much better by the 10s -even compared to the Gold line, that doesn't have a speaker this big. On the other hand, there's many people out there who don't care for deep bass, and prefer a little bit more sparkle or midrange forwardness, so they will naturally go for the 8s, or a Gold 300 if they can afford it.

There is a reviewer on Soundstage who uses the Silver 10s as his reference speakers. That alone shows how big of a bargain they are.
A word of caution: even though the 10s will sound smoother and punchier than the 8s with even a less powerful amp, they will show what kind of bass they are able to produce only with serious power, probably >150W continuous per channel. I've only heard them properly driven in my room by a 2x200W digital amp that I'd borrowed.

Last edited by eyebee23; Yesterday at 01:06 AM.
post #11840 of 11840 Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebee23 View Post
Here is an earlier post of mine re: your question.

A word of caution: even though the 10s will sound smoother and punchier than the 8s with even a less powerful amp, they will show what kind of bass they are able to produce only with serious power, probably >150W continuous per channel. I've only heard them properly driven in my room by a 2x200W digital amp that I'd borrowed.
Maybe you should pop for a nice, used 200+ w/ch amp!

There's tons of them around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
cp-wt380idc , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Jl Audio Brand , Monitor Audio , Nad , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Sunfire , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page