Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 397 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 248Likes

post #11881 of 11890 Old 05-22-2017, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookiethree View Post
Interference or Cancellation is caused in this case by 2 drivers reproducing the same frequency at different locations. If the 2 drivers are closer than 1/4 wavelength than the frequency in question then they will (in general) couple as 1 driver. If more than 1/4 wavelength apart then you will get different amounts of cancellation depending on Frequency. A lower frequency has a larger wavelength so the 2 displaced drivers can be farther apart before there is a problem. Also note that in the case of my RS Silver LCR's the driver on the Left (if I remember right) doesn't go as high in frequency as the one as the right one. This will reduce the possible interference. It has a quasi 3 way alignment. Standing a speaker up or laying it down won't chance these interference issues. The interference is a function of distance the drivers are apart and the frequency the drivers are reproducing in question. Of course there is the "Room" and possibly a stand the speaker is on to give reflections as well but that is the case regardless of speaker type / alignment.

Doug
Thanks for the detailed response!

But the Silver center was better in vertical position @ Thomas J.Norton review.

As with all other two-way, woofer-tweeter-woofer, horizontally configured center speakers, the Silver Centre was compromised for off-axis listening. When I measured it in the customary horizontal configuration, there was a dip of approximately 7 dB at just over 2 kHz—the woofers-to-tweeter crossover region—as I moved from the center to roughly 20 degrees to the side. It was also clearly audible. The solution: I turned the Silver Centre so it sat vertically on my center stand. This required that I raise my projection screen by about a foot (higher than I like) but produced a much more uniform sonic balance across the front from left to right. Another option I tried briefly was using one of the two-way Silver 2s, positioned upright, as a center. This worked better than the horizontal Silver Centre but not quite as well as the latter turned vertical. In either arrangement, I reduced the Integra’s center-channel bass control by a few steps; my low stand often results in slightly bloated male dialogue on many center speakers, including but not limited to the Silver.

With the vertical Silver Centre and the larger Hsu subwoofer, the Silver system came alive on movies.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-page-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11882 of 11890 Old 05-22-2017, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadXgold View Post
I've still to demo both but i'm pretty sure i'll be going with the smaller C150, it's probably a better match for both the Gold 50's and my small room, in which the C350 would be overkill. Interesting you've had both, what did you think of the two centres? Was the C350 noticeably superior? Don't change my mind again lol
Yeah, I've gone through multiple phases of setups. In the family room, I've had the GX50s, and had bought the C150 to go with them, but the speaker was just too deep to fit on my mantle. There was no way to properly set it up, so for the last year, I have been using the GX50s as a phantom center channel. Currently in the process of selling the GX50 and C150 and switching my family room setup to Martin Logan 35XTs and a Motion 8 center since this will work with my fireplace setup.

Since I'm still in love with the Gold series though, I decided to start to convert my basement setup to the Gold series with towers and the bigger center. The C350 is the only piece I have so far. I have the Energy Veritas 6.3 full setup in my basement, and have compared all the center channels. The C150 was great and blends it greatly with the G50s. I hooked up the C350, and it actually dominated the Energy full range towers. Granted, I didn't calibrate it, but it was clearly flexing over the rest of my setup and yes, it sounded awesome. It is such a massive speakers though. I imagine it would have the same dominance when paired with the G50s.
post #11883 of 11890 Old 05-22-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Monitor Audio Owners Thread

The new silvers look pretty good to me with a couple exceptions...I hate the teardrop around the mid/tweeter assembly and the tweeter grill looks messy and unfinished. Don't know if they were trying to copy paradigm's prestige look but it's a fail. Still think my RX8s look better than the last two series, but they're not bad overall, still wanna hear them. Really nice they finally added a 3 way center too.

Sent using Tapatalk cuz the mobile version is still
Gamecock24 likes this.

post #11884 of 11890 Old 05-22-2017, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
The new silvers look pretty good to me with a couple exceptions...I hate the teardrop around the mid/tweeter assembly and the tweeter grill looks messy and unfinished. Don't know if they were trying to copy paradigm's prestige look but it's a fail. Still think my RX8s look better than the last two series, but they're not bad overall, still wanna hear them. Really nice they finally added a 3 way center too.
They all look the same with the grilles on, in the dark... I want to hear them, not see them.
post #11885 of 11890 Old 05-22-2017, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceredmustang View Post
I hope I am right. If so, that makes the new Silver G6 line pricing pretty reasonable, IMHO.
Looks like you were right about those prices from the Australian article being Australian prices. Nice to see they haven't raised their prices.

Quote:
http://soundstageglobal.com/index.ph...-monitor-audio Monitor kept identical price points for the replacement Silver-series products, while also adding a Satin White finish to the option sheet. This numbers seven SKUs, including the: Silver 50 bookshelf ($875/pr.), Silver 100 bookshelf ($1150/pr.), Silver 200 floorstander ($1500/pr.), Silver 300 floorstander ($2000/pr.), and Silver 500 floorstander ($2500/pr.). There are also two center channels -- the two-and-a-half-way C150 ($725), and three-way C350 ($999), as well as the FX surround speaker ($875/pr.) and W-12 subwoofer ($1649). All models will be shipping in July.
I've had my gen2 MAs(Silver s10 and Silver LCR) since 2005 and back then the S10 was about $2000 a pair and top of the silver line. MA has kept the top of the silver line at about $2500 for a long time so I'm happy to see the silver 500 at that price.

I see a pair of silver 500 and an C350 in my future. Besides it's been 12 years since my last MAs and it's time to upgrade.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Last edited by Legairre; 05-22-2017 at 11:05 AM.
post #11886 of 11890 Old 05-22-2017, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Sent using Tapatalk cuz the mobile version is still

Ambesolman I agree with you on the teardrop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ambesolman likes this.
post #11887 of 11890 Old Today, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'm considering going for a deal with a ~25% discount on the existing Silver 6, or optionally wait for the new Silver 200.

So I'm wondering, historically has the audio quality of the Monitor Audio Silver line improved much with each new generation? E.g. going from RS6->RX6->Silver 6. Or is it mostly "fine tuning"?
post #11888 of 11890 Old Today, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
I'm considering going for a deal with a ~25% discount on the existing Silver 6, or optionally wait for the new Silver 200.

So I'm wondering, historically has the audio quality of the Monitor Audio Silver line improved much with each new generation? E.g. going from RS6->RX6->Silver 6. Or is it mostly "fine tuning"?
I am in the same boat, although I have yet to find anyone discounting the current Silver series at that level. Since I can't accommodate the size of the C350, my real interest is in the performance difference between the current Silver Centre and the new C150 center.

2 channel : Anthem Integrated 225, Monitor Audio Silver 8, PSA S1500, Marantz SA8005
HT: Yamaha RX-A1060, Klipsch RP-260, RP-250C, RTI A1, PSA V1500, Onkyo C-S5VL, Samsung JU7100
post #11889 of 11890 Old Today, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I'm surprised that the Apex line has yet to see any updates for what must be close to 10 years.

My HT build: Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room

Marantz | NAD | Monitor Audio | SVS | Pioneer
post #11890 of 11890 Old Today, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post

I would say they have evolved tonally over the generations. The RS were 'brighter' followed by a leaning more to neutral RX, then the silvers which are the most neutral with smoother treble and bass.(With the silver 10s at least).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
cp-wt380idc , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Jl Audio Brand , Monitor Audio , Nad , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Sunfire , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page