Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 398 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 249Likes
post #11911 of 11920 Unread 06-26-2017, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anden2000 View Post
Thanks! I have just now been busy reading a bit about 6 ohms rated amplifiers driving 4 ohms speakers, and there seems to be a lot about it, like what is the real average impedance, non-4-ohms amp ratings being partly about UL approvals, and whether you are maxing out the amplifier or not. Yeah, it might work, question is if I want to be a guinea pig and how loud I will play. On the other hand, if I wouldn't play loud, then do I really need these speakers?
Do you use those 225 watts? I actually tried one time to max out my VSX 924's 105 W/channel in stereo mode with the current speakers, which are cheap but big, and measured the sound level with a dB meter to 110 dB! Somewhere around 90 dB I had to put on workshop ear protectors. And walking away to another room in the house, to listen to that maxed-out volume from a distance, I couldn't hear any sound distorsion. But then those speakers most likely have higher impedance (while definitely not being fine art in accurate sound reproduction).
I probably don't get anywhere near using the 225 watts, but I don't think that's the whole story. I have never had the volume knob to the half way point. 11:00 o'clock is very loud. What I have is a lot of headroom with the amp, so I am not pushing it. It also allows me the option of possibly buying bigger, less efficient speakers if a good opportunity arises. The combination of that amp and the Silver 8's are on a different level compared to my Yamaha rx-a1060/Klipsch RP setup in my living room. The Klipsch are very good for what they cost, and for HT, but in two channel music mode they don't have anything remotely close to the drive, impact and soundstage of the Anthem/Silver 8. If the two systems were compared in the same room, it would be not be a fair fight.

2 channel : Anthem Integrated 225, Monitor Audio Silver 8, PSA S1500, Marantz SA8005, Audioengine B1
HT: Yamaha RX-A1060, Klipsch RP-260, RP-250C, RTI A1, PSA V1500, Onkyo C-S5VL, Samsung JU7100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11912 of 11920 Unread 06-26-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
The Anthem Integrated 225 is actually rated at 310w/channel into 4 ohms
(I have the same one feeding the silver 10's)
I can imagine how good that setup sounds. If you don't need all the bells and whistles, the Anthem 225 is a great integrated amp. It can be had at bargain prices now, if you look around, much less than I paid for mine. The thing is a tank.

2 channel : Anthem Integrated 225, Monitor Audio Silver 8, PSA S1500, Marantz SA8005, Audioengine B1
HT: Yamaha RX-A1060, Klipsch RP-260, RP-250C, RTI A1, PSA V1500, Onkyo C-S5VL, Samsung JU7100
post #11913 of 11920 Unread 06-26-2017, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceredmustang View Post
I can imagine how good that setup sounds. If you don't need all the bells and whistles, the Anthem 225 is a great integrated amp. It can be had at bargain prices now, if you look around, much less than I paid for mine. The thing is a tank.
Agreed, it weighs more than my 11 channel yamaha receiver RXA3050.

Combined with the silver 10's it makes effortless big, clean sound. (24x24 room)

post #11914 of 11920 Unread 06-26-2017, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by anden2000 View Post
Thanks! I have just now been busy reading a bit about 6 ohms rated amplifiers driving 4 ohms speakers, and there seems to be a lot about it, like what is the real average impedance, non-4-ohms amp ratings being partly about UL approvals, and whether you are maxing out the amplifier or not. Yeah, it might work, question is if I want to be a guinea pig

I have a 6 ohm amp driving Silver 8's, a Yamaha 3050.

For two channel it's great, doesn't seem to struggle I don't listen at high levels but it sounds fine. However, I recently discovered that driving the 8's is restricting the rest of the system (Silver centre and 8 Bronze 1's 7.2.4). When I tried driving the L&R 8's with another AVR there was suddenly a lot more dynamic range in the other speakers!

For now the 8's are run by an old Sony str 930 borrowed from the dining room which doesn't mind 4ohms but while surround is much better, 2 channel has suffered.

I'm scouring ebay etc. for oldie but goodie mono blocks or similar pure power amps, that can fully drive the 8's with no hint of any doubt.

Does anyone have Silver 8's driven by Musical Fidelity XA-200's, 250's or Quad 606 or 405-2 or Leak 240's?
post #11915 of 11920 Unread Yesterday, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post

For two channel it's great, doesn't seem to struggle I don't listen at high levels but it sounds fine. However, I recently discovered that driving the 8's is restricting the rest of the system (Silver centre and 8 Bronze 1's 7.2.4). When I tried driving the L&R 8's with another AVR there was suddenly a lot more dynamic range in the other speakers!

For now the 8's are run by an old Sony str 930 borrowed from the dining room which doesn't mind 4ohms but while surround is much better, 2 channel has suffered.

I'm scouring ebay etc. for oldie but goodie mono blocks or similar pure power amps, that can fully drive the 8's with no hint of any doubt.

Does anyone have Silver 8's driven by Musical Fidelity XA-200's, 250's or Quad 606 or 405-2 or Leak 240's?

Sorry Linn 240, not Leak...

Maybe you would be better off with the new version of the Silver 8, the Silver 300 it's been redesigned to offer an easier, more conventional 8ohm load. I think I know why.

I 'm happy to keep my 8's, I was planning to get monoblocks anyway, it's just brought things forward a little.
post #11916 of 11920 Unread Yesterday, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

You've got Bronze 1's on your ceiling?
post #11917 of 11920 Unread Yesterday, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeargentPeppers View Post
You've got Bronze 1's on your ceiling?

Only four of them... My girlfriend didn't notice them for most of a week when I installed them! They are close to the walls and the top rears are at the edges of a bay window so not as noticeable as you might think.

The ceiling is a floating fireproof, soundproof layer so no chance for in ceiling speakers. It does resonate at 147Hz quite well so bit of a null in the EQ to minimise that.
post #11918 of 11920 Unread Yesterday, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Did the increased dynamic range you experienced include your silver center? Has your opinion of that center changed at all.

post #11919 of 11920 Unread Yesterday, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 54
First time posting here

I'm getting a b&w diamond setup for the front speakers and cm6s2 for the rears.

What atmos speakers would yall recommend? And do you think monitor audio in ceiling speakers would work OK for atmos with the B&W?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11920 of 11920 Unread Today, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceredmustang View Post
Did the increased dynamic range you experienced include your silver center? Has your opinion of that center changed at all.

Better dynamic range yes, although most noticeable in surrounds and atmos. Still terrible dialogue though.. I've been listening to a few TV series in stereo lately sounds so much better using the 8's for dialogue.

Most of the time in movies there's either dialogue or music or effects, not all at once so the amp running out of juice can't be blamed for the poor voice rendition.

I've moved it around, tilted it, sat it on end, measured it with REW, messed with reflection damping, messed with YPAO EQ, it's better with most of YPAO's tweaks turned off. My theory is that YPAO was trying to eq out some gap in the crossover or phase cancellation and making things worse.

It's not completely terrible, it's better than my old Mission centre just not up to the standard of the Silver 8's across dialogue frequencies.

I'm actually driving the centre from the Sony amp too, keeps the front stage in the same character. I'm actually shopping for three monoblocks for the same reason.

Ask me again when my Silver C350 arrives ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
cp-wt380idc , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Jl Audio Brand , Monitor Audio , Nad , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Sunfire , Toshiba