Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 398 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 249Likes

Old Today, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anden2000 View Post
Thanks! I have just now been busy reading a bit about 6 ohms rated amplifiers driving 4 ohms speakers, and there seems to be a lot about it, like what is the real average impedance, non-4-ohms amp ratings being partly about UL approvals, and whether you are maxing out the amplifier or not. Yeah, it might work, question is if I want to be a guinea pig and how loud I will play. On the other hand, if I wouldn't play loud, then do I really need these speakers?
Do you use those 225 watts? I actually tried one time to max out my VSX 924's 105 W/channel in stereo mode with the current speakers, which are cheap but big, and measured the sound level with a dB meter to 110 dB! Somewhere around 90 dB I had to put on workshop ear protectors. And walking away to another room in the house, to listen to that maxed-out volume from a distance, I couldn't hear any sound distorsion. But then those speakers most likely have higher impedance (while definitely not being fine art in accurate sound reproduction).
I probably don't get anywhere near using the 225 watts, but I don't think that's the whole story. I have never had the volume knob to the half way point. 11:00 o'clock is very loud. What I have is a lot of headroom with the amp, so I am not pushing it. It also allows me the option of possibly buying bigger, less efficient speakers if a good opportunity arises. The combination of that amp and the Silver 8's are on a different level compared to my Yamaha rx-a1060/Klipsch RP setup in my living room. The Klipsch are very good for what they cost, and for HT, but in two channel music mode they don't have anything remotely close to the drive, impact and soundstage of the Anthem/Silver 8. If the two systems were compared in the same room, it would be not be a fair fight.

2 channel : Anthem Integrated 225, Monitor Audio Silver 8, PSA S1500, Marantz SA8005
HT: Yamaha RX-A1060, Klipsch RP-260, RP-250C, RTI A1, PSA V1500, Onkyo C-S5VL, Samsung JU7100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cp-wt380idc , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Jl Audio Brand , Monitor Audio , Nad , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Sunfire , Toshiba