Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 399 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 266Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11941 of 11970 Old 07-03-2017, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,414
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Any thoughts on their appearance from pics you've seen so far?
?? De justibus non disputandem est.

FWIW, I don't care for out-rigger feet.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11942 of 11970 Old 07-03-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 10,170
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
For those of us for whom Latin is a dead language (at least since HS/college): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_gus...st_disputandum "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes" (literally "about tastes, it should not be disputed/discussed")

I considered Monitor, largely due to Kal's endorsement which led to further research, but stuck with my Maggies until picking up a pair of Revels. There are sooo many good choices these days (and of course plenty of clunkers). Looking forward to Kal's review.
ambesolman likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; 07-03-2017 at 10:05 PM.
DonH50 is offline  
post #11943 of 11970 Old 07-03-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,414
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
For those of us for whom Latin is a dead language (at least since HS/college: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_gus...st_disputandum "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes" (literally "about tastes, it should not be disputed/discussed")

I considered Monitor, largely due to Kal's endorsement which led to further research, but stuck with my Maggies until picking up a pair of Revels. There are sooo many good choices these days (and of course plenty of clunkers). Looking forward to Kal's review.
I would not think to try to talk anyone out of Studio/2s in favor of MA Silver8s.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
 
post #11944 of 11970 Old 07-03-2017, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 10,170
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Thanks Kal! Salon2's, actually, anything worth doing is worth overdoing. You are one of the (almost "the") reasons I keep re-upping my Stereophile subscription; I enjoy your reviews and appreciate your wry humour and insights here and there. I need to dig up your SACD list now that I've a new player for them again.

On-topic, I did manage to briefly listen to a pair of Monitor Audio Silver and Gold speakers (not Platinum best I recall) in comparison to a few others around their price range and understand why you like them! They seemed more "neutral"; too many speakers seem to want to impart their own sound to the recording, an issue I have historically had more with low-end and mid-line speakers than higher-end models. Probably just me, but Monitor is one of those "sleeper" products you don't seem to hear as much about that sound really good (to me) for their price.

All IMO - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #11945 of 11970 Old 07-05-2017, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
tidwelr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Monitor Audio Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Any thoughts on their appearance from pics you've seen so far?


Sent using Tapatalk cuz the mobile version is still


I think the new speakers look ok without the grills off. I saw your previous comment about the tweeter area and I agree with you that it looks a little strange but I suspect it maybe looks a little better in person. They should've left the grills alone and kept the more rectangle look they were using. Maybe they thought the speakers would look too much like KEF speakers? Not sure. But I don't like the grills on the new silver series.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tidwelr1; 07-23-2017 at 12:26 PM.
tidwelr1 is offline  
post #11946 of 11970 Old 07-05-2017, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,618
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
I think the new speakers look ok without the grills on. I saw your previous comment about the tweeter area and I agree with you that it looks a little strange but I suspect it maybe looks a little better in person. They should've left the grills alone and kept the more rectangle look they were using. Maybe they thought the speakers would look too much like KEF speakers? Not sure. But I don't like the grills on the new silver series.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I agree that it probably does look better in person and look forward to an audition. The video makes it appear that they're very proud of the tweeter grill design as well. I get it, it's the 6th gen, hence the hexagon around the tweeter and the hexagonal grill holes, it just doesn't do anything for me. I noticed the grill hole layout is symmetrical on a closer look so it's less messy than I first thought. With nothing else on the speaker with the same angles, it just looks foreign to the rest of it. The rest is either straight lines and right angles or circular, a smooth classic design. The tweeter seems like a bit of bad techno thrown it to mix it up a little. Then there's the previously mentioned teardrop...






Sent using Tapatalk cuz the mobile version is still
ambesolman is offline  
post #11947 of 11970 Old 07-06-2017, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,414
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
I noticed the grill hole layout is symmetrical on a closer look so it's less messy than I first thought.
It is L/R symmetrical but not radially symmetrical. This is either an obscure aesthetic decision or a subtle engineering decision but, either way, there is no mention of it in the literature.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #11948 of 11970 Old 07-08-2017, 06:18 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi guys, I just got the gold 100, but still can't decided if I should go with c150 or c350. The salesman was telling me that the c150 goes better with the bookshelves and the 3 way c350 suit the floorstanders better. The c350 would 'overpower' the bookshelves and I wouldn't want that. But as far as I know, I could just calibrate and being down the db of the centers if it's shadowing the LR.

I do know that a bulk of audio comes out from the center for movies. And I really appreciate the extended range for centers.
holyxiaoxin is offline  
post #11949 of 11970 Old 07-08-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,414
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyxiaoxin View Post
Hi guys, I just got the gold 100, but still can't decided if I should go with c150 or c350. The salesman was telling me that the c150 goes better with the bookshelves and the 3 way c350 suit the floorstanders better.
He is being simplistic and misleading.

Quote:
The c350 would 'overpower' the bookshelves and I wouldn't want that. But as far as I know, I could just calibrate and being down the db of the centers if it's shadowing the LR.
You are correct! Note, too, that the C150 is a 2way while the C350 a three way and there are decided advantages to the latter in terms of uniform dispersion.

Quote:
I do know that a bulk of audio comes out from the center for movies. And I really appreciate the extended range for centers.
As you should. If you have the space and budget, go for it.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #11950 of 11970 Old 07-08-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WestCoastD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,683
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Note, too, that the C150 is a 2way while the C350 a three way and there are decided advantages to the latter in terms of uniform dispersion. As you should. If you have the space and budget, go for it.
yes, I'm using a 5.1 Monitor Audio Gold GX Series set-up (comparable to the new Gold Series) in my main theater room system, sounds beautiful! Excellent for, both, movie soundtracks, as well as music (2ch & 5.1)

My system:
Gold GX-100 Fronts
Gold GX-C350 Center
Gold GS-FX Rears
JL Audio F110 Subwoofer
Marantz AV8802A Pre Tuner
Parasound A51 amp
Oppo BDP-105


I went round-and-round trying to decide between the Gold GX-C150 and the Gold GX-C350 center speakers. I'm so glad I went for the GX-C350, as it is a true 3-way design. Improved detail, also I feel yields better mid-range for vocals. Audyssey calibration runs just fine for front surround, levels are equal. My only issue is the room is on the smallish-side, and I used AudioQuest balanced interconnects, dB level's extended beyond preferred recommended threshold.

Kal, now that you've been playing around with the newer Silver 6 Series, how do you like/compare the ribbon tweeter (used in Platinum & Gold Series) to the Gold Dome tweeter ? (appreciate all your input as always )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan2016_TheaterRoom_MarantzAV8802ASystem_Finalizing_06.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	2227441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan2016_TheaterRoom_MarantzAV8802ASystem_Finalizing_01.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	2227449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan2016_TheaterRoom_MarantzAV8802ASystem_Finalizing_02.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2227457  
holyxiaoxin likes this.

Last edited by WestCoastD; 07-09-2017 at 10:06 PM.
WestCoastD is offline  
post #11951 of 11970 Old 07-08-2017, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,414
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
Kal, now that you've been playing around with the newer Silver 6 Series, how do you like/compare the ribbon tweeter (used in Platinum & Gold Series) to the Gold Dome tweeter ? (appreciate all your input as always )
Sorry to disappoint but I have not yet received the new 6th Gen Silvers. Probably not for a couple of weeks. Also, I have never used any of the ribbon-tweeter models.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #11952 of 11970 Old 07-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thanks (: I'll go with the C350. I'm still deciding which amp is better to pair with the golds. I could get Denon 7200 at the same price for x6300. There's also marantz 7011, hegel H80, pioneer lx 89. I would need 5.2.2, which all but hegel provides. But I'm hearing very good things about hegel. Maybe I should get a cheaper av receiver for movies and H80 in the future?
holyxiaoxin is offline  
post #11953 of 11970 Old 07-10-2017, 03:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thanks again for all answers to my earlier questions. Here's a follow-up. I went with a 5.1 Silver set in Natural Oak: Silver 10 fronts, dual Silver Centers, SW12 sub, FX surrounds. See attached. All speakers have the same veneer look, they just appear different on the photos because of the light.


Silver 10's: I grew up with stereo listening and wanted fronts to be enought independent from a sub. Probably could have gone with smaller units, and the low impedance was a concern, but I decided it's going to work fine Having now tried them for a short while, they definitely sound good to me. They may look a bit cramped on the photos, but the room is very long so swallowing at lot of sound that way.


Silver centers, dual: Perhaps a bit small compared to the fronts. But I let installability, availability and price decide. The dual setup is to raise the dialogue from under the TV to in the TV - I am making a separate post on that topic. The speakers are connected in parallel, creating a 4 ohms combination. The top center is sitting on a wall mounted shelf. Really happy with the result.


Silver W12 sub: It's not huge compared to the fronts, and it's not a lot of size for the money. However, visual design and installability are good (spousal considerations too), and it sure adds very clearly to the movie experience! During the sub's own calibration process, windows and other parts of the house were literally shaking.


Silver FX's: Went with these for a combination of wall-flush design which I think is good for a narrow room, and series matching. Haven't installed them just yet, still using the old surrounds.


My old Pioneer VSX-924, rated for 6-16 ohms speakers, seemed on the small side for this, with 4 ohms fronts and center combo. But I figured both the receiver and speaker numbers are probably conservative to my benefit, so I am probably good I have now watched a few movies and played some loud music and haven't noticed any issues yet. I realize I may want a bigger receiver some day.


I have ran the sub's own room calibration function and the receiver's MCACC. Now I am starting to look into details around the receiver's MCACC setup, speaker placement, and comparing music with and without sub. So I will probably be tweaking things.


Besides being pleased with the sound, I am very happy with the build quality and appearance of these speakers - I think they are beautiful pieces as furniture seen. And that's also a big plus from family acceptance point of view.


I will have some questions about the receiver's calibration function, and I will probably post those in receiver forum. But I thought I would share some of it here too, being about the speakers. One pic shows the software's resulting sub equalizer, and another shows the right front speaker's (the left front is virtually identical). Before running the receiver's calibration function, I ran the sub's own built-in independent calibration function - the sub comes with its own calibration microphone too. However the sub doesn't show the resulting equilization but keeps it a secret. I find it remarkable that the receiver puts a completely flat curve on the sub - I am half wondering if it really works. If it indeed works, then it's very assuring that the sub and the receiver seemingly came to the exact same conclusions. As you can see, the receiver turns down the lower parts of the front speakers. It could be that that's a result of the 80 Hz sub crossover (as concluded by the MCACC). I guess it may be further affected by the speakers standing close to the walls and no port bungs being put in yet (still to be tried). I will want to look into several things, such as do I want those port bungs, do I want the sub or not for stereo music, and do I want a separate MCACC profile for stereo music, to name some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front stage x.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	2227585   Click image for larger version

Name:	front stage 2 x.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	2227593   Click image for larger version

Name:	sub eq.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	2227601   Click image for larger version

Name:	fronts eq.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	2227609  
Dookiethree likes this.
anden2000 is offline  
post #11954 of 11970 Old 07-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I rang my dealer today to see if the Gold FX speakers can be roof mounted and they basically said no. They did say though that Monitor Audio was going to make an announcement soon about releasing Gold series in roof speakers with ribbon tweeters to match the rest of the range. They said they would call me with more info regarding a timeline soon.

Hopefully this way will be better and save me money.
Dale Chalfont is offline  
post #11955 of 11970 Old 07-14-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,414
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Chalfont View Post
They did say though that Monitor Audio was going to make an announcement soon about releasing Gold series in roof speakers with ribbon tweeters to match the rest of the range.
Will they be weather-proof?
rokbyter likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #11956 of 11970 Old 07-17-2017, 12:05 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My dealer finally got back to me and he was mistaken. The speakers that are coming out soon are the Platinum PLIC-II speakers. He said they would be $2000....I assume he means per pair, I hope ao but wouldn't be surprised if it was each.
Dale Chalfont is offline  
post #11957 of 11970 Old 07-18-2017, 06:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey, all. Sometime lurker here, enjoying the information you share, looking for some advice. I've had a pair of Silver 6s and a Silver Center for almost two years now, along with a Hsu subwoofer, and have been saving up to add a pair of surrounds to the set (replacing two inherited, no-name mini-towers). Since my wife vetoed mounting surrounds on the walls, I've been thinking about the Silver 2s, and with the G6-driven sales seems like a good time to buy.

Am I looking for the wrong match, here, using bookshelves as surrounds? Or, should I look to the Silver 1s rather than the 2s?

My listening is a mix of stereo (turntable, streaming) and HT, maybe 60/40; the room is about 25x15 with a sloping ceiling, 9' in back up to 15' in front. I rarely play loud.
gwold is offline  
post #11958 of 11970 Old 07-19-2017, 12:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwold View Post
Hey, all. Sometime lurker here, enjoying the information you share, looking for some advice. I've had a pair of Silver 6s and a Silver Center for almost two years now, along with a Hsu subwoofer, and have been saving up to add a pair of surrounds to the set (replacing two inherited, no-name mini-towers). Since my wife vetoed mounting surrounds on the walls, I've been thinking about the Silver 2s, and with the G6-driven sales seems like a good time to buy.

Am I looking for the wrong match, here, using bookshelves as surrounds? Or, should I look to the Silver 1s rather than the 2s?

My listening is a mix of stereo (turntable, streaming) and HT, maybe 60/40; the room is about 25x15 with a sloping ceiling, 9' in back up to 15' in front. I rarely play loud.
Silver1 would be perfect match with those S6`s, using same drivers. Most of people are happy with those at mains so no problem for you. Forget the S2! Would be waste of money as "surrounds". And would look very odd as slim towers at front and then fat big bulky S2`s at back of room. Wife wouldn`t be happy..

Hope you have showed pictures of FX speakers clean install and how good they look on walls when everything done optimally. If you don`t listen music 5ch and you won`t listend loud, you could get away with Bronze FX which are smaller than Silver FX (white ash looks nice on wall). While Silver1s will work fine as surrounds, many would prefer the more cinematic sound of FX speakers with movies. But if the wife has made her mind 100% then you just got to go along with it.
gwold likes this.

Last edited by Mr_Hifi; 07-19-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Mr_Hifi is offline  
post #11959 of 11970 Old 07-20-2017, 07:03 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Hifi View Post
Silver1 would be perfect match with those S6`s, using same drivers. Most of people are happy with those at mains so no problem for you. Forget the S2! Would be waste of money as "surrounds". And would look very odd as slim towers at front and then fat big bulky S2`s at back of room. Wife wouldn`t be happy..

Hope you have showed pictures of FX speakers clean install and how good they look on walls when everything done optimally. If you don`t listen music 5ch and you won`t listend loud, you could get away with Bronze FX which are smaller than Silver FX (white ash looks nice on wall). While Silver1s will work fine as surrounds, many would prefer the more cinematic sound of FX speakers with movies. But if the wife has made her mind 100% then you just got to go along with it.
Thanks for this, Mr_Hifi. A pair of S1s should arrive on Saturday, along with a pair of stands. Yes, my wife was adamant about wall-mounts as our theater is also our family room.
gwold is offline  
post #11960 of 11970 Old 07-21-2017, 07:01 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMarcus View Post
Hello folks. I currently have Gold GX100s for mains, and an Aerial CC3 center. The center is really good, but I'm thinking it's time to upgrade to an MA center. I have the space for either a gold 150 or gold 350. My room is borderline large (15*25, TV on the small wall), but it's just my wife and I that watch, and we have HT seats about 12 feet from the TV. Everything is driven by a Yamaha RX-A2050. We don't listen that loud, even for movies.

Given this set up, will the gold 350 really add value over the Gold 150? Also, I can get a PLC150 for under $1700. How would that fare vs. the golds?

TIA

update: fixed some typos. Sorry about that.
I had the gx150 initially, used with the gx100, and it was great. However, I changed to the gold 100's then changed to the gold 350. What a difference. It is pretty large, but all of the dialog and more comes out of it crystal clear. I don't have it set up correctly yet, so it's on a stand next to the TV, at a slight angle. My room is 17 x 17, but the ceiling is 19' high. It also blended seamlessly with the 100's. It is hard to describe the difference, other than the sound is more real and offers more presence. I get much more than dialog with this center speaker. You won't regret going to the 350. I also did not use Audyssey to adjust the levels, and instead used the Radio Shack sound meter. The 350 overpowered everything until I used the meter. Another necessity.

My present equipment is Monitor Audio Gold 200, MA Gold 350, MA Gold 100 for surrounds, Denon 4200w, and Parasound 2250 v2 for the mains, MA W12 (2), rounding out with Morrow and Audioquest cabling. Expecting delivery soon of a Bryston 3B SST Amp to see how it compares against the Parasound. Will chime in later.
AllanMarcus likes this.
ednxuli is offline  
post #11961 of 11970 Old 07-22-2017, 11:00 AM
Member
 
AllanMarcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednxuli View Post
I had the gx150 initially, used with the gx100, and it was great. However, I changed to the gold 100's then changed to the gold 350. What a difference. It is pretty large, but all of the dialog and more comes out of it crystal clear. I don't have it set up correctly yet, so it's on a stand next to the TV, at a slight angle. My room is 17 x 17, but the ceiling is 19' high. It also blended seamlessly with the 100's. It is hard to describe the difference, other than the sound is more real and offers more presence. I get much more than dialog with this center speaker. You won't regret going to the 350. I also did not use Audyssey to adjust the levels, and instead used the Radio Shack sound meter. The 350 overpowered everything until I used the meter. Another necessity.

My present equipment is Monitor Audio Gold 200, MA Gold 350, MA Gold 100 for surrounds, Denon 4200w, and Parasound 2250 v2 for the mains, MA W12 (2), rounding out with Morrow and Audioquest cabling. Expecting delivery soon of a Bryston 3B SST Amp to see how it compares against the Parasound. Will chime in later.
Many thanks! Gold C350 on order. Anyone wanna buy an Aerial CC3 center :-)

Yamaha RX-A2050 | LG OLED65B6P | Monitor Audio Gold GX100 mains
Monitor Audio Gold C350 | Orb ModX surrounds and Atmos overheads | SVS SB13Ultra sub

Aerial CC3 center for sale! Contact me if interested.
AllanMarcus is offline  
post #11962 of 11970 Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey - are there any other perceived benefits opting for the larger bookshelf over the smaller in each Monitor Audio range? Picking between the Silver 1 and 2's as fronts for my home theater, room is 2750 ft3. thanks for replies
SeargentPeppers is offline  
post #11963 of 11970 Old 07-22-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,414
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post

Sorry... couldn't resist

Every time I see your name... it's kinda catchy.
You and Jon Iverson. It's gotten pretty annoying to be greeted by that over and over.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #11964 of 11970 Old 07-22-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Shadowed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,714
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
You and Jon Iverson. It's gotten pretty annoying to be greeted by that over and over.
ok... sorry
Shadowed is offline  
post #11965 of 11970 Old 07-22-2017, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,414
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
ok... sorry
First time gets a pass.
Shadowed likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #11966 of 11970 Old 07-23-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,414
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 520
[quote=Mr_Hifi;54379945]And would look very odd as slim towers at front and then fat big bulky S2`s at back of room. Wife wouldn`t be happy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwold View Post
A pair of S1s should arrive on Saturday, along with a pair of stands. Yes, my wife was adamant about wall-mounts as our theater is also our family room.
FWIW, here is one of my "fat big bulky S2`s at back of room." It is sitting on a custom-made (and wife-approved) GIK trap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GIK.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	2254801  

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #11967 of 11970 Old 07-24-2017, 06:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
FWIW, here is one of my "fat big bulky S2`s at back of room." It is sitting on a custom-made (and wife-approved) GIK trap.
Looks very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Here's a shot of one of my new S1s, which I must say are nicely sized for the S6 and, most importantly, fully accepted by my wife. Now I just need to re-do the Audyssey!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2277.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	2255521  
Mr_Hifi likes this.
gwold is offline  
post #11968 of 11970 Old Yesterday, 02:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
FWIW, here is one of my "fat big bulky S2`s at back of room." It is sitting on a custom-made (and wife-approved) GIK trap.
Nice! But i still think the S1 is perfect match with S6s. As you have Silver S8 (x3?) on front i can understand your choice perfectly. Plus guy who works in the industry i don`t think wifes opinion would matter that much.. Anyway looking for your thoughts on new Silvers when you get em! Especially the C350 if one is coming for you.

Last edited by Mr_Hifi; Yesterday at 02:18 AM.
Mr_Hifi is offline  
post #11969 of 11970 Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 29,414
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Hifi View Post
Nice! But i still think the S1 is perfect match with S6s. As you have Silver S8 (x3?) on front i can understand your choice perfectly.
I am not disputing the S1/S6 match but, rather, that the S2 was somewhat mischaracterized.

Quote:
Plus guy who works in the industry i don`t think wifes opinion would matter that much..
Now, that is not true.

Quote:
Anyway looking for your thoughts on new Silvers when you get em! Especially the C350 if one is coming for you.
I have an aversion to using dedicated horizontal center speakers because they are inherently compromised (although for understandable reasons).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #11970 of 11970 Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
Member
 
rokbyter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeargentPeppers View Post
Hey - are there any other perceived benefits opting for the larger bookshelf over the smaller in each Monitor Audio range? Picking between the Silver 1 and 2's as fronts for my home theater, room is 2750 ft3. thanks for replies
More bass with the larger unit. I have the RX-2s and the bass is much stronger with the 8" than with the 6.5", powered properly, of course.
rokbyter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
cp-wt380idc , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Jl Audio Brand , Monitor Audio , Nad , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Sunfire , Toshiba

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off