Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 402 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 278Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12031 of 12049 Old 08-15-2017, 05:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone!
I'm about to move from house to a flat and will buy some new electronics including a new surround setup. My cuttent Canton GLE system with large floor front speakers is too big for a flat, so I'm thinking bookshelf speakers around? The Marantz receiver I have now will be upgraded to a new SR6011 allowing a 7.1.2 Atmos setup. So I was thinking MA Bronze 2 as front and Bronze 1 as surround speakers. Issue though is that MA don't seem to have Atmos specific upward firing speaker? I can't mount in-wall speakers in the celing. So how to solve this? Can I use on wall Bronze FZ on the celing above listening postition? Or a pair of Bronze 1 up front and directed up towards the celing?

Is there any info if MA will release Atmos specific speakers like Elac Debut A4?
Thanks!
Minion Bob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12032 of 12049 Old 08-15-2017, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nosferatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dell_ View Post
Hi. I currently have silver8, silver center and 2 ct265. The room size is approx. 16 square meters. What sub do you suggest Silver w12 or SVS sb-2000? Silver w12 sub would be a natural partner for my system, but ...
Sub matching to a speaker brand is not necessary.

I'll always recommend dedicated companies that specialize in a subwoofer.

Outlaw, HSU, Rhtymik, even SVS before someone else.

If you've got budget to spare I bought a Seaton Submerssive HP+. JTR Captivator is also another monster.

Thread to Build:Theater Build
Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Living Room: Aperion Grand Verus, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, 75" Sony XBR75X940E +more
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm, Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession, Stage 4 - Acceptance
...Which stage are you on?
Nosferatu is offline  
post #12033 of 12049 Old 08-15-2017, 05:45 PM
Member
 
California Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well I finally did it. My last speaker purchases was the av123 x-mtms back in 2007. I recently pulled the trigger on the Monitor Audio Silver 8s in rosenut. The deal was too good to pass up. My g/f was not happy that I purchased more speakers but when she saw them she said "Thank you for buying smaller speakers." Aggro deflected.

Now I just need to get the center though right now the glossy black seems to be the only one that is at a great price.

They are beautiful and so very sweet to my ears and I still need to break them in.

Oh, here is the box that one of the speakers came in.....I was so worried but luckily nothing was damaged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silver 8 box.jpg (99.2 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by California Joe; 08-15-2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Describing pic
California Joe is offline  
 
post #12034 of 12049 Old 08-16-2017, 09:12 PM
Senior Member
 
rene2kx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
How better do you think is gold 200 vs silver 8? I recently heard both on demo, i found silver 8 almost as good as gold 200, even though gold 200 uses a ribbon tweeter and has a higher price. Anyone who has/has heard both of these, can you give your thoughts on this?
Anybody?? So many posters in this thread, can nobody answer this question? My MA dealer is quoting a much higher price on the Gold 200 compared to silver 8. Is Gold 200 worth the higher price over the silver 8 SQ wise?
rene2kx is offline  
post #12035 of 12049 Old 08-17-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Shadowed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,741
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
How better do you think is gold 200 vs silver 8? I recently heard both on demo, i found silver 8 almost as good as gold 200, even though gold 200 uses a ribbon tweeter and has a higher price. Anyone who has/has heard both of these, can you give your thoughts on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
Anybody?? So many posters in this thread, can nobody answer this question? My MA dealer is quoting a much higher price on the Gold 200 compared to silver 8. Is Gold 200 worth the higher price over the silver 8 SQ wise?
Worth is a slippery slope...it means something different to everybody.

IMO, the silver series is the best value for sound quality. Beyond that, you pay extra for nicer? finishes and more exotic drivers. The more advanced drivers give better sound but for the price difference, only your ears and eyes can decide.
Throughout this thread there is admirers for both series.
Shadowed is offline  
post #12036 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
Anybody?? So many posters in this thread, can nobody answer this question? My MA dealer is quoting a much higher price on the Gold 200 compared to silver 8. Is Gold 200 worth the higher price over the silver 8 SQ wise?
I have owned the Silver 8's, and absolutely loved them. I found that my receiver (Denon 4000) continually shut down, even at normal listening levels. Then I got an Emotiva A-300, problem solved. I now have the Silver 10's, and found not a lot of difference in them, other than in the lower frequencies. However, I have the Gold 200's in another listening room, so easy for me to compare them in my home. Both systems require generous amplification, and would be wasted with most receivers.
The 8's and the 10's easily filled my main listening room (5000 cf), and neither required a sub. That is for both music and HT. Both have a beautiful and full sound.
The Gold 200, on the other hand, is a bit more refined and sweeter, albeit not a world of difference. The Gold's are being driven with a Bryston 3Bsst amp, and that helps sweeten the sound a lot.
Both are beautiful speakers, but if I had to choose now, it would be with the Silver 8 or 10 for the overall sound, and the Golds for the beauty. The Gold is simply a beautiful speaker. I only have the Golds because I got them at a fantastic price. They are indeed better, but not at over twice the price of the Silvers IMHO. You also must have a sub with the Gold 200. You can always upgrade later with the Silver, and not lose a lot of cash.

BTW, I have the 2 listening rooms because the W can't tolerate any sound levels over 70 dbs.
ednxuli is offline  
post #12037 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM
Member
 
raceredmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednxuli View Post
I have owned the Silver 8's, and absolutely loved them. I found that my receiver (Denon 4000) continually shut down, even at normal listening levels. Then I got an Emotiva A-300, problem solved. I now have the Silver 10's, and found not a lot of difference in them, other than in the lower frequencies. However, I have the Gold 200's in another listening room, so easy for me to compare them in my home. Both systems require generous amplification, and would be wasted with most receivers.
The 8's and the 10's easily filled my main listening room (5000 cf), and neither required a sub. That is for both music and HT. Both have a beautiful and full sound.
The Gold 200, on the other hand, is a bit more refined and sweeter, albeit not a world of difference. The Gold's are being driven with a Bryston 3Bsst amp, and that helps sweeten the sound a lot.
Both are beautiful speakers, but if I had to choose now, it would be with the Silver 8 or 10 for the overall sound, and the Golds for the beauty. The Gold is simply a beautiful speaker. I only have the Golds because I got them at a fantastic price. They are indeed better, but not at over twice the price of the Silvers IMHO. You also must have a sub with the Gold 200. You can always upgrade later with the Silver, and not lose a lot of cash.

BTW, I have the 2 listening rooms because the W can't tolerate any sound levels over 70 dbs.
I have heard the Gold, and they sounded fantastic, but that was at a MA dealer, under ideal conditions. Ednxuli's assessment is very credible as he has both Silver and Gold at his house and can easily compare. I just finished listening to some well recorded music on my Silver 8s, and they were as impressive as ever. It would be hard to imagine a set-up being twice as good. although I am sure you can get there with the right amount of money. I will simply say that I feel the Silver 8s are very good, given adequate power. Don't think you can go wrong with them, especially now that they are on closeout. I've heard the new Silver 6G line is even better. Can't wait to hear them.

2 channel : Anthem Integrated 225, Monitor Audio Silver 8, PSA S1500, Marantz SA8005, Audioengine B1
HT: Yamaha RX-A1060, Klipsch RP-260, RP-450C, RTI A1, PSA V1500, Onkyo C-S5VL, Samsung JU7100
raceredmustang is offline  
post #12038 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceredmustang View Post
I have heard the Gold, and they sounded fantastic, but that was at a MA dealer, under ideal conditions. Ednxuli's assessment is very credible as he has both Silver and Gold at his house and can easily compare. I just finished listening to some well recorded music on my Silver 8s, and they were as impressive as ever. It would be hard to imagine a set-up being twice as good. although I am sure you can get there with the right amount of money. I will simply say that I feel the Silver 8s are very good, given adequate power. Don't think you can go wrong with them, especially now that they are on closeout. I've heard the new Silver 6G line is even better. Can't wait to hear them.


Why are the silver 8s on closeout?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buddylee123 is offline  
post #12039 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM
Member
 
raceredmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
Why are the silver 8s on closeout?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The new Silver 6G models are replacing the silver line.

2 channel : Anthem Integrated 225, Monitor Audio Silver 8, PSA S1500, Marantz SA8005, Audioengine B1
HT: Yamaha RX-A1060, Klipsch RP-260, RP-450C, RTI A1, PSA V1500, Onkyo C-S5VL, Samsung JU7100
raceredmustang is offline  
post #12040 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceredmustang View Post
The new Silver 6G models are replacing the silver line.


Are the new silver 6g models more expensive?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buddylee123 is offline  
post #12041 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Member
 
raceredmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
Are the new silver 6g models more expensive?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They came in at the exact same list price as the outgoing Silver line.

2 channel : Anthem Integrated 225, Monitor Audio Silver 8, PSA S1500, Marantz SA8005, Audioengine B1
HT: Yamaha RX-A1060, Klipsch RP-260, RP-450C, RTI A1, PSA V1500, Onkyo C-S5VL, Samsung JU7100
raceredmustang is offline  
post #12042 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceredmustang View Post
They came in at the exact same list price as the outgoing Silver line.


Awesome, thanks for the information


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buddylee123 is offline  
post #12043 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
rene2kx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednxuli View Post
I have owned the Silver 8's, and absolutely loved them. I found that my receiver (Denon 4000) continually shut down, even at normal listening levels. Then I got an Emotiva A-300, problem solved. I now have the Silver 10's, and found not a lot of difference in them, other than in the lower frequencies. However, I have the Gold 200's in another listening room, so easy for me to compare them in my home. Both systems require generous amplification, and would be wasted with most receivers.
The 8's and the 10's easily filled my main listening room (5000 cf), and neither required a sub. That is for both music and HT. Both have a beautiful and full sound.
The Gold 200, on the other hand, is a bit more refined and sweeter, albeit not a world of difference. The Gold's are being driven with a Bryston 3Bsst amp, and that helps sweeten the sound a lot.
Both are beautiful speakers, but if I had to choose now, it would be with the Silver 8 or 10 for the overall sound, and the Golds for the beauty. The Gold is simply a beautiful speaker. I only have the Golds because I got them at a fantastic price. They are indeed better, but not at over twice the price of the Silvers IMHO. You also must have a sub with the Gold 200. You can always upgrade later with the Silver, and not lose a lot of cash.

BTW, I have the 2 listening rooms because the W can't tolerate any sound levels over 70 dbs.
So you think Gold200 is a bit more refined but not worth double the price of silver 8. well my dealer has that gold for approx. 1.75 times the price of the sil 8. i have to decide. i cannot upgrade speakers every two years or so, once i get them i have to stick with them at least four to five years.

why do you say gold 200 needs a subwoofer while the silver 8 doesn't? it is it because of the slightly larger bass driver of the silver 8? the low frequency extension of both speakers is rated 32hz. i heard the gold200 in a dedicated ht room with room treatment for a few minutes with a music track, on that the bass didnt seem to be much different than silver 8, however i dont know how it will sound with a movie.

and another thing, i have run into an opinion on gold 200 vs silver series on monitoraudio's uk site that runs counter to your opinion..this..

Quote:
Gold 200's replaced a pair of Silver 10's I bought in April of this year. Yes, I know very quick upgrade. I was very content with my Silver's till I happen to hear the Gold's recently and it was an audio REVELATION !! A cathartic experience of sorts. Everything I enjoyed about the Silver's was there in even greater abundance with the 200's except the bass which is better defined and more taught in the Gold's. Top to bottom the 200's are exactly what I have been searching for in over 20 years of audio madness. The only way these are leaving my home is if MA improves on them in a significant way which I don't see how they can but this company seems to be able to pull the rabbit out of the proverbial magic hat with ease . Thank you MA !!
http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/gold/gold-200
The guy seems to say that gold 200 is a big jump from silver 10.

So let's say i'm more confused on what to get. i cant go and audition them again. i have to rely on user input to decide.
rene2kx is offline  
post #12044 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
Senior Member
 
rene2kx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceredmustang View Post
The new Silver 6G models are replacing the silver line.
this new line doesnt have a full front grill on the floorstanders, it's a semi-grill, that doesnt look good from an aesthetics point of view. the silver 8 i saw had a full front grill, which is what i prefer. why did they change the design?
rene2kx is offline  
post #12045 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
So you think Gold200 is a bit more refined but not worth double the price of silver 8. well my dealer has that gold for approx. 1.75 times the price of the sil 8. i have to decide. i cannot upgrade speakers every two years or so, once i get them i have to stick with them at least four to five years.

why do you say gold 200 needs a subwoofer while the silver 8 doesn't? it is it because of the slightly larger bass driver of the silver 8? the low frequency extension of both speakers is rated 32hz. i heard the gold200 in a dedicated ht room with room treatment for a few minutes with a music track, on that the bass didnt seem to be much different than silver 8, however i dont know how it will sound with a movie.

and another thing, i have run into an opinion on gold 200 vs silver series on monitoraudio's uk site that runs counter to your opinion..this..

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/gold/gold-200
The guy seems to say that gold 200 is a big jump from silver 10.

So let's say i'm more confused on what to get. i cant go and audition them again. i have to rely on user input to decide.
I stand by what I wrote earlier. This is my opinion after living with both speakers. I started off many years ago with the Silver RX-6, upgraded to the Silver 8's and have stayed with MA. I was also able to compare them with Martin Logan 40's, B&W CM9's and still MA bested all of them. Those were also auditioned in my home. Thanks Magnolia!

The Gold 200's are now in a much smaller listening room (2000 cf). I have to listen to them at a much lower level now, which is why I need a sub with them. With sufficient power, they really come to life. When I had them in the larger room, I was running them with an amp with over 300 rms per channel at 4 ohms. Also had to upgrade my connections, etc.
I will say if you can afford them, and it is going to be your speaker for awhile, then go for it. Then you don't have to ponder "what if".
The prices I was speaking of are the MSRP of both speakers. Usually the Golds are not discounted so much, but the Silvers are on closeout.
I do love the sound of both speakers, but you do have to consider ALL of the components associated with them. Both are power hungry, but amplification is just one component. Our quest for that perfect sound is never ending. Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

If I could have afforded either of them before, I would not have hesitated to get the Gold. Now, I have the Gold 200's, GC350, and 2 pair Gold 100 surrounds. One pair too many! Other room has the Silver 10's and Silver 2's for surrounds I would have preferred the 8's but could not pass up the price on the 10's.
I am also a bassaholic!
Also, the W12 worked seamlessly with the Silver 8's. Could not tell they were on at all. They actually blended like one speaker. They don't work with the Gold.
ednxuli is offline  
post #12046 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Fjodor2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 56
What amplifiers are generally considered a good match for Monitor Audio Silver/Gold speakers?

Some options I'm considering:
* Accuphase E-460
* McIntosh MA6700/7900
* Musical Fidelity M6si
* Musical Fidelity Nuvista 600/800
* Hegel H160/H360
* Lyngdorf TDAI 2170

Any opinions?
Fjodor2000 is offline  
post #12047 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
galoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been running my gx300/350/fx system off an emotiva xpa-5 for years with absolutely no complaints

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
galoot is offline  
post #12048 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM
Member
 
raceredmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
What amplifiers are generally considered a good match for Monitor Audio Silver/Gold speakers?

Some options I'm considering:
* Accuphase E-460
* McIntosh MA6700/7900
* Musical Fidelity M6si
* Musical Fidelity Nuvista 600/800
* Hegel H160/H360
* Lyngdorf TDAI 2170

Any opinions?
IMO, Anthem pairs well with my Silvers.

2 channel : Anthem Integrated 225, Monitor Audio Silver 8, PSA S1500, Marantz SA8005, Audioengine B1
HT: Yamaha RX-A1060, Klipsch RP-260, RP-450C, RTI A1, PSA V1500, Onkyo C-S5VL, Samsung JU7100
raceredmustang is offline  
post #12049 of 12049 Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM
Senior Member
 
rene2kx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednxuli View Post
I stand by what I wrote earlier. This is my opinion after living with both speakers. I started off many years ago with the Silver RX-6, upgraded to the Silver 8's and have stayed with MA. I was also able to compare them with Martin Logan 40's, B&W CM9's and still MA bested all of them. Those were also auditioned in my home. Thanks Magnolia!

The Gold 200's are now in a much smaller listening room (2000 cf). I have to listen to them at a much lower level now, which is why I need a sub with them. With sufficient power, they really come to life. When I had them in the larger room, I was running them with an amp with over 300 rms per channel at 4 ohms. Also had to upgrade my connections, etc.
I will say if you can afford them, and it is going to be your speaker for awhile, then go for it. Then you don't have to ponder "what if".
The prices I was speaking of are the MSRP of both speakers. Usually the Golds are not discounted so much, but the Silvers are on closeout.
I do love the sound of both speakers, but you do have to consider ALL of the components associated with them. Both are power hungry, but amplification is just one component. Our quest for that perfect sound is never ending. Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

If I could have afforded either of them before, I would not have hesitated to get the Gold. Now, I have the Gold 200's, GC350, and 2 pair Gold 100 surrounds. One pair too many! Other room has the Silver 10's and Silver 2's for surrounds I would have preferred the 8's but could not pass up the price on the 10's.
I am also a bassaholic!
Also, the W12 worked seamlessly with the Silver 8's. Could not tell they were on at all. They actually blended like one speaker. They don't work with the Gold.
Okay if i could afford it, i would go for gold 200 with a gold c350 (not c150) and gold fx surrounds (gold fx is better for surrounds than using gold 100) and as for sub if i do decide to add one later it wont be a MA sub, it'll be SVS. On the question of amplification of the gold 200 (or all gold speakers in general) , would a AVR be sufficient? to power the gold 200, my avr rated at 140W rms, 2 channel driven at 8 ohms would do? The Gold200 is rated at 150w rms and recommended amplifier power is 100-150w. The avr i have is a flagship 9 channel model. Would pairing a dedicated external stereo amplifier with the avr and running the gold 200's through them really make a big difference? and is bi amping possible on gold200?
rene2kx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
cp-wt380idc , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Jl Audio Brand , Monitor Audio , Nad , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Sunfire , Toshiba

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off