Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 403 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 280Likes

post #12061 of 12077 Old 08-20-2017, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Chalfont View Post

The only time bi wiring would do anything is if you were using extremely thin speaker wire and using 2 sets of wire reduces the constraint in resistance of the thin wire. But using thicker wire completely eliminates this. I used to think more wire would be better until I did some reading from people with a lot more knowledge and money than me.

Here is an article that dispels all the b.s...amonst many others. It addresses active and passive bi amping as well as bi wiring.

http://www.bigfootmusic.com/blog/arc...esand_smarties
i wasnt talking bi wiring, but bi amping. bi wiring i would say is mostly a gimmick because you are only dedicating one amp to each speaker and splitting the cable at speaker end so that wouldn't really make a difference. in bi amping , two amps are dedicated to a speaker, and that is where there is a bump in performance.You will find articles on the net that go both way regarding bi amping, i've read them all since ive been bi amping fronts for many years. I could pull out as many articles on the net that would conclude saying that bi amping makes a difference as opposed to those that say it does not do anything. All those opinions are fine and well, what matters is practical experience and based on that i can say on my paradigms, bi amp makes an audible difference to me. this may not be true with all speaker brands/setups and listening environments but works for me with my setup.

Anyway, this is the MA owners thread, the general discussion on bi amping may do well in a separate thread, i wont deviate further in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 12077 Old 08-21-2017, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
What amplifiers are generally considered a good match for Monitor Audio Silver/Gold speakers?

Some options I'm considering:
* Accuphase E-460
* McIntosh MA6700/7900
* Musical Fidelity M6si
* Musical Fidelity Nuvista 600/800
* Hegel H160/H360
* Lyngdorf TDAI 2170

Any opinions?
I run a simple Emotiva amp for my Platinum PL-200 and PL-350C. They sound more than fine. Biamp and Biwiring at the end of the day is a gimmick and useless for 99% of those.

Thread to Build:Theater Build
Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Living Room: Aperion Grand Verus, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, 75" Sony XBR75X940E +more
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm, Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession, Stage 4 - Acceptance
...Which stage are you on?
post #12063 of 12077 Old 08-21-2017, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
I run a simple Emotiva amp for my Platinum PL-200 and PL-350C. They sound more than fine. Biamp and Biwiring at the end of the day is a gimmick and useless for 99% of those.
Ok, thanks! But have you tried any other amps with the Monitor Audio speakers, so you've been able to compare them and see which amp sounded best together with the MA speakers?

Last edited by Fjodor2000; 08-21-2017 at 07:55 AM.

post #12064 of 12077 Old 08-21-2017, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Ok, thanks! But have you tried any other amps with the Monitor Audio speakers, so you've been able to compare them and see which amp sounded best together with the MA speakers?

I have a Quad 606 driving my Silver 8's wasn't sure whether I would like it but very happy with it now. I was planning to get a couple of them, cheap enough on ebay, replace a few capacitors and off you go. Plan was vertical biamping, that way you get a separate power supply for each speaker, actually some scientific possibility of improvement. With the 8's the hf side is actually driving the midrange too.

So far I haven't felt the need to get another, drives the 4ohm 8's far better than my Yamaha 3050 did in 2 channel. The AVR was wheezing a bit driving 7.1 when the 8's were connected but so much more lively and dynamic now.

Musical Fidelity was another brand I was recommended to match up with MA, I was bidding for a pair of XA200's suggested by the dealer I bought the Silver 8's from but didn't win them.
post #12065 of 12077 Old 08-21-2017, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The person I picked them up from was running some higher end equipment (don't recall which one). We both agreed going back and forth the Emotiva was more than fine.

At the end of the day the speaker is the most important part of the listening process, then the DAC, then the AMP. I don't lose much sleep over choosing an AMP. As long as it drives well without clipping I'm good.

Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
post #12066 of 12077 Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The person I picked them up from was running some higher end equipment (don't recall which one). We both agreed going back and forth the Emotiva was more than fine.
Well without knowing what other amp you compared it to, I guess it's hard to draw any conclusions from that. Also that it sounds "more than fine" is a pretty vague statement. Who knows what it could have sounded like with some other amp?

Quote:
At the end of the day the speaker is the most important part of the listening process, then the DAC, then the AMP. I don't lose much sleep over choosing an AMP. As long as it drives well without clipping I'm good.
I think most agree that speakers are important (or the most important). But with regards to the rest of the system components there are many different opinions. Some even say all that DAC sound more or less the same. Personally, I usually spend about as much on the amp as on the speakers, and I think what amp is used makes a big difference when it comes to how the system sounds.
post #12067 of 12077 Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well without knowing what other amp you compared it to, I guess it's hard to draw any conclusions from that. Also that it sounds "more than fine" is a pretty vague statement. Who knows what it could have sounded like with some other amp?

I think most agree that speakers are important (or the most important). But with regards to the rest of the system components there are many different opinions. Some even say all that DAC sound more or less the same. Personally, I usually spend about as much on the amp as on the speakers, and I think what amp is used makes a big difference when it comes to how the system sounds.
To each their own. I recommend an Emotiva. Great bang for the buck. Buy one used and try it out. If you don't like it you can likely get a good majority of your money back.

At the end of the day, your comments prove a point. Everyone's preferences are different in terms of importance in the audio pathway. In addition, everyone's ears are different. While I may recommend Emotiva with the MA Platinums someone else may be against it and vice versa. There's only one way for you to find out.

Anyways, specifically I run an Emotiva XPA-3 to power the fronts and use the AVR to power the rear channels. System is mated to a Seaton Submerssive HP+ for LFE.

post #12068 of 12077 Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
What amplifiers are generally considered a good match for Monitor Audio Silver/Gold speakers?

* Accuphase E-460
* McIntosh MA6700/7900
* Musical Fidelity M6si
* Hegel H160/H360
* Lyngdorf TDAI 2170

Any opinions?
Clearly lot's of choices regarding amps. Add Bryston and Parasound to the list. I have the Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 600. I am going to sell it and get something smaller for my system. It is a fabulous integrated amp. Built like full up amp. Weighs is in at 70 lbs. I am looking to replace it with a Moon 600i which will fit better on a narrower shelf in my rack.
post #12069 of 12077 Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

* Accuphase E-460
* McIntosh MA6700/7900
* Musical Fidelity M6si
* Hegel H160/H360
* Lyngdorf TDAI 2170

Any opinions?
Are you talking solid state or tube?

If you are talking solid state, then there is no point in spending a lot of money. Any well-designed solid state amp (and you have to go pretty damned far down the food chain, below Emerson, probably, to find one that isn't) will sound the same as any other. A 100 watt Mark Levinson sounds the same as a 100 watt Yamaha. There is, in fact, no reason they shouldn't. And a gazillion ABX and other double-blind tests have established this.

The same also holds true for two-channel preamps (I am not familiar with any AVR tests, though I believe they're out there) and DACs. Do not waste your money on electronics - they are appliances, no more no less.

If you are looking for tube amps, that's a whole other kettle of fish. Of course, tube amps (and preamps, and DACs) do not produce music accurately, have sometimes bizarre frequency response anomalies, and lack high- and low-frequency extension (they roll off).

Some people like the sound of tubes. Hell, I like it myself sometimes. Tubes can be euphonic and mellow. But you will not have true "high fidelity" with tubes compared to solid state.
post #12070 of 12077 Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrtheta View Post
Any well-designed solid state amp (and you have to go pretty damned far down the food chain, below Emerson, probably, to find one that isn't) will sound the same as any other.
You're of course free to have your own personal opinion. But I and most other people do not agree at all.

If all amps sound the same, then why do we even have different brands? There should only be one model, which is the simplest possible amp for $100 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrtheta View Post
And a gazillion ABX and other double-blind tests have established this.
Please share links to those ABX tests.
post #12071 of 12077 Old Today, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If all amps sound the same, then why do we even have different brands?
Money...it's a business. People will spend the money and companies will attempt to try and sell the same product.
ambesolman likes this.

post #12072 of 12077 Old Today, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Money...it's a business. People will spend the money and companies will attempt to try and sell the same product.
That statement could be applied to everything, but does not prove anything.

Claim: All cars perform the same.
Question: Then why are there different cars in different price ranges?
Answer: Money...it's a business. People will spend the money and companies will attempt to try and sell the same product.
post #12073 of 12077 Old Today, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Chalfont View Post
There is more to amplification than just watts. I bought all my gold speakers but by hit and when I finally got my gold 300s I really thought they could do more than what my receiver could offer my yamaha receiver was rated at 150watts 2 channels driven into 8 ohms 20-20khz, the first power amp I bought ( rotep 1552 mk 2 ), which I always intended to power my rear surrounds was used to power the front gold 300s until I had money to buy the bigger power amp front 5 speakers....and the 1552 mk 2 was rated at 130 watt at those exact same parameters and at the volume setting where the receiver clearly started to turn to mud, it was absolutely flawless. I could listen to absolute max volume with no distortion whereas before the receiver sounded bad at 10dB less.

I paid $1190aud for that power amp and it can probably be had for $700-800U.S.

If you had to go with a single power amp and all other speakers powered by the receiver...that would be the cheapest and easiest way to double your sound quality. All your other speakers will sound better in surround as the receiver will be far less strained too. That power amp has rca or balanced connections, so you can plug it into anything and down the track if you wanted to go all out you could use xlr cables. A good power amp like that will last for 30 years.

After hearing it outperform a top of the line reveiver by an astonishing amount with 'weaker' specs ( on paper ) I know to never doubt a good power amp again.
Gold 300's power handling is rated at 200W and the rotel stereo amp you have is rb 1552 is 130wpc. It's not all about watts, but isn't it generally recommended to have a little amplifier headroom (getting an amp with a little higher rating than the speaker rating) to avoid clipping issues at high volume levels? Though, it depends on how high you turn up the volume. Since you have gold 300s (200w) and you are driving them with an underpowered amp (130wpc), does it provide sufficient amplication for the 300, how loud do you turn the volume level up, how far do you sit and what are the dimensions of your room? Would driving the gold 300 with a higher rated amp (like the rotel 1582/200wpc) make a difference?
post #12074 of 12077 Old Today, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I use a Sunfire Theater Grand Amplifier - TGA-7401. It's 400W x 7 channels. Do I need 400W? No, but it was slightly more than the 200W so I said why not. I'm certainly not lacking for power. It sounds great with my Gold GX300 / GXC350C setup.
post #12075 of 12077 Old Today, 03:48 PM

^I'm only looking at a stereo amp to pair with my avr, what brands pair well with MA speakers? Currently researching rotel, but what are the recommended amps by MA?
post #12076 of 12077 Old Today, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 920
I use an Emotiva upa 200 bought off audiogon with my RX8s since they'd shut down my denon x4000 at spirited levels. Sounds great

Sent using Tapatalk cuz the mobile version is still
post #12077 of 12077 Old Today, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That statement could be applied to everything, but does not prove anything.

Claim: All cars perform the same.
Question: Then why are there different cars in different price ranges?
Answer: Money...it's a business. People will spend the money and companies will attempt to try and sell the same product.
Taking your cars and speaker comparison there's a simple law of diminishing returns. Don't twist what I said in that a cheap amp is "just as good" as an expensive amp. My point was to budget out more for speakers and less for an amp. You'll hit the point of diminishing returns rather quickly in the solid state amp world.

See below, this guy agrees with me on Emotiva. If you can afford an expensive amp go try a used Emotiva. If it's something you don't like, sell it, and get most of your money back.

Anyways read below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
I use an Emotiva upa 200 bought off audiogon with my RX8s since they'd shut down my denon x4000 at spirited levels. Sounds great

Sent using Tapatalk cuz the mobile version is still
Emotiva!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
cp-wt380idc , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Jl Audio Brand , Monitor Audio , Nad , Parasound , Receivers Amplifiers , Sunfire , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page