12Likes

post #181 of 10378 Old 06-19-2006, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tine View Post

Good idea with this Monitor Audio Owners thread, I need some help choosing a new amplifier/receiver for my Monitors Audio speakers, after i brought these speakers,
i realized that my old Yamaha RXV-1400 was not good enough for these fine speakers.

My system is used for movies, about (70%) and i love to listen to some good SACD recordings, Classic recordings generally.

My budget for a new amplifier/receiver is up to 4000$, i need something that i would enjoy for many years.

Will all brands generally sound good with my MA, or i there some that shoud be avoid?

it would be nice if i could use the I.Link from my Pioneer to connect with a IEEE1394 on a amp/receiver, but its not a must.

Hope anyone could give me some advice in what direction i should go.

My current setup :

Mains : Gold Reference 20
Center : Gold Reference Centre
Back : Gold Reference 10

Subwoofer : Jamo 3015 THX

DVD Player : Pioneer DV989
Projector : InFocus IN76

aha! glad you asked. I have always wanted to share this article with someone thinking about a new receiver. It is all true. If I had $2000, I would not have purchased my Marantz, I would have gotten the Arcam Avr300. If I had $6000, I would have gotten the AVR300. It is... the answer

http://www.iar-80.com/page130.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 10378 Old 06-19-2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgonzalez View Post

aha! glad you asked. I have always wanted to share this article with someone thinking about a new receiver. It is all true. If I had $2000, I would not have purchased my Marantz, I would have gotten the Arcam Avr300. If I had $6000, I would have gotten the AVR300. It is... the answer

http://www.iar-80.com/page130.html

Except Arcam has just released the AVR350 that adds HDMI switching and even better audio quality.
post #183 of 10378 Old 06-20-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeeb View Post

Except Arcam has just released the AVR350 that adds HDMI switching and even better audio quality.

OH $HI7! OH MY GOD!

WTF am I supposed to do now?

...you just ruined my relationship, adeeb. How much is this gonna cost me?
post #184 of 10378 Old 06-20-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:

OH $HI7! OH MY GOD!

WTF am I supposed to do now?

...you just ruined my relationship, adeeb. How much is this gonna cost me?

aw.. nevermind. Just read more about it. What a let down!

-on screen menu overlies interlaced signals only
-no HDMI onscreen menu
-no video upconversion to HDMI
-no video passthrough to HDMI

so, this is the avr300 with a better pre-amp and a basic HDMI switcher slapped in with no integration... except audio will work with HDMI.
post #185 of 10378 Old 06-20-2006, 09:42 AM

Arcam AVR300/350 sounds like an good option, i better go listen to it! , has anyone ever compared Arcam AVR300 with a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver 2 ?
post #186 of 10378 Old 06-20-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:

aw.. nevermind. Just read more about it. What a let down!

-on screen menu overlies interlaced signals only
-no HDMI onscreen menu
-no video upconversion to HDMI
-no video passthrough to HDMI

so, this is the avr300 with a better pre-amp and a basic HDMI switcher slapped in with no integration... except audio will work with HDMI.

i knew it didn't have upconversion and video passthough to HDMI, but the lack of onscreen menu is a surprise.

i would agree with you that it seems almost like a stopgap model, but as i am buying now, it may still be the better option for me.
post #187 of 10378 Old 06-20-2006, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The June 2006 issue of What-HI-FI has a half page review of the GS20. I agree with ever word of what they state. They "only" give the GS20 4 out of 5 stars while admitting that the speaker pushes the SOTA in several areas. They state they are a bit too polite or lacking in the "rhythmic grip" area.

Again I agree with one big exception: they did not take off the front grilles. The speaker easily goes up a full star or grade as one can hear better integration and transient response. It is now not to polite and much smoother and better balanced from top to bottom. Even rim shots are snappy realistic.
post #188 of 10378 Old 06-21-2006, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

The June 2006 issue of What-HI-FI has a half page review of the GS20. I agree with ever word of what they state. They "only" give the GS20 4 out of 5 stars while admitting that the speaker pushes the SOTA in several areas. They state they are a bit too polite or lacking in the "rhythmic grip" area.

Again I agree with one big exception: they did not take off the front grilles. The speaker easily goes up a full star or grade as one can hear better integration and transient response. It is now not to polite and much smoother and better balanced from top to bottom. Even rim shots are snappy realistic.

I am really glad you said that. I had read that same article and was disheartened. I am currently trying to decide between the RS6 and GS20 (or new B&W CM7) and the article gave me reason to pause.

Having said that, is there anything in the sound and performance of the GS20 that you find lacking (for a speaker of this price bracket). Note that I plan on having a sub so the heft of the low end is not an issue. I am, however, looking for a very natural and balanced sound that will do well (revealing without being too forward) for movies (independants and foreign films...with plently of atmosphere and dialogue more than hollywood blockbusters) and to a lesser dgree music (classical/jazz/pop/rock/acoustic).

Given that, would you recommend them - especially over the RS6? Thanks.
post #189 of 10378 Old 06-21-2006, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am really glad you said that. I had read that same article and was disheartened. I am currently trying to decide between the RS6 and GS20 (or new B&W CM7) and the article gave me reason to pause.

Having said that, is there anything in the sound and performance of the GS20 that you find lacking (for a speaker of this price bracket). Note that I plan on having a sub so the heft of the low end is not an issue. I am, however, looking for a very natural and balanced sound that will do well (revealing without being too forward) for movies (independants and foreign films...with plently of atmosphere and dialogue more than hollywood blockbusters) and to a lesser dgree music (classical/jazz/pop/rock/acoustic).

Given that, would you recommend them - especially over the RS6? Thanks.

First let me congratulate you for being on the right track by selecting Monitor Audio. (I had bought the Gallo Reference III and found its sound quality vague and without soundstage anchor, despite the rave "high end" reviews).

To my thinking, the GS20 is for high end separate systems and the RS6 is for top quality receivers.
The GS20 has helped me identify and eliminate several colorations in my chain.
The biggest surprise was that the Crown K1 Class D RF switching amplifier was inserting a hardness into the system whenever it was powered. Even when used as a subwoofer amplifier for the surround channels!

Don't toe them in and don't use in a bright reflective room. They can be augmented with a subwoofer crossed over (4th order slope) at 60 Hz or slightly less. They can image remarkably well throughout the spectrum (grilles off please)and is easy to hear flaws in the mix. The challenge here is will the other high end components in the system be configured perfectly and up to the task. Most of the time the answer is no, as every system has its flaws. Only select the GS20 if you are a dedicated audiophile and have the time, motivation and desire to improve your sound quality.
post #190 of 10378 Old 06-21-2006, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I took the plunge on Monitor Audio GR10s and the LCR GR center about three months ago as the audio dealer in my area was closing these out. I traded in my B&W 603 S2 speakers and the B&W LCR S6 center and got a great deal.

Very impressed with classical and jazz music which I listen to the most. Very very good also in my home theater. I'm no longer struggling with the dialogue while watching movies utilizing this center channel speaker versus others I had tried in the past!!
post #191 of 10378 Old 06-21-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:

To my thinking, the GS20 is for high end separate systems and the RS6 is for top quality receivers... Only select the GS20 if you are a dedicated audiophile and have the time, motivation and desire to improve your sound quality.

Reincarnate, thanks for your feedback. I am actually planing on driving the full 5.1 setup with the Arcam AVR350, with the main L+R bi-amped. My CD source will be the Arcam DV137.

I love the research and the tinkering - not to mention the listening - but I don't know if I would go so far as to call myself an audiophile.

BTW, my dedicated home theater is 4m wide x 5.5m deep x 2.5m tall, and I expect to use it for movies 80% and music 20%.

Having said that, my screen will be a 100" front projection running 1080p, so I definately want the sound to keep pace.

Sorry for throwing so much at you, but given this info, would you be more inclined to recommend the RS vs the GS or the other way around? Thanks again.
post #192 of 10378 Old 06-21-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

I took the plunge on Monitor Audio GR10s and the LCR GR center about three months ago as the audio dealer in my area was closing these out. I traded in my B&W 603 S2 speakers and the B&W LCR S6 center and got a great deal.

Very impressed with classical and jazz music which I listen to the most. Very very good also in my home theater. I'm no longer struggling with the dialogue while watching movies utilizing this center channel speaker versus others I had tried in the past!!

Hey Robert,

I have the same setup, with the same positive reactions. What do you cross the GR10 and Center at? I have been switching back and forth between 60hz and 80hz. 60hz is giving me a much fuller sound, and is what I am going with right now.
post #193 of 10378 Old 06-21-2006, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reincarnate, thanks for your feedback. I am actually planing on driving the full 5.1 setup with the Arcam AVR350, with the main L+R bi-amped. My CD source will be the Arcam DV137.

I love the research and the tinkering - not to mention the listening - but I don't know if I would go so far as to call myself an audiophile.

BTW, my dedicated home theater is 4m wide x 5.5m deep x 2.5m tall, and I expect to use it for movies 80% and music 20%.

Having said that, my screen will be a 100" front projection running 1080p, so I definately want the sound to keep pace.

Sorry for throwing so much at you, but given this info, would you be more inclined to recommend the RS vs the GS or the other way around? Thanks again.

Sounds like you are growing into an audiophile...
Suggest the belkin PF60 power conditioner if you don't already have one. Don't get too polite of a pre/power amp. I use a Krell preamp (ballsy bass), Butler Audio Tube 5 channel power (soothing, transparent, clean and control) and Benchmark DAC1 (cleanest and somewhat polite) with Belkin PF60 conditioning and Belkin silver cables.

Suggest twistergroup.com for a good deal on the Belkin stuff. Go listen if you can...
post #194 of 10378 Old 06-21-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Reincarnate, thanks for your feedback. I am actually planing on driving the full 5.1 setup with the Arcam AVR350, with the main L+R bi-amped. My CD source will be the Arcam DV137

If the AVR350 is bi-amped, would it still be possible to have a 5.1 Setup, without switching speaker cables ?
post #195 of 10378 Old 06-21-2006, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate
To my thinking, the GS20 is for high end separate systems and the RS6 is for top quality receivers... Only select the GS20 if you are a dedicated audiophile and have the time, motivation and desire to improve your sound quality.

Hi
I notice the majority of posts show that they drive the higher end GS series with lower end electronics? Not many talk about seperates here.
Mainly mid range recievers, e.g. 4XXX Denons, Arcams etc.
So we are under-driving the GS? I bought a Marantz SR12 recently. Does that mean I should buy the RS6 instead? Its a lot cheaper too *)

Can anyone point to a pdf of the what-hifi review please?
I read the German review on the GS60 and GS LCR - I probably go with a GS LCR for all 3 and I will probably get a SVS 20-39 PCI plus instead of the MA subs for more deep bass.
Home theater mag rated the RSW12 as -6db at 48Hz. Not very impressive.
P
post #196 of 10378 Old 06-21-2006, 03:57 PM

Has any MA owner compared the S6 to the RS6?
Been trying to get an RS6 for a while but they seem to be in short supply.
A local dealer here has a used/trade-in MA1200G on offer at $800. It was pretty good with tight bass but midrange a bit muddy, compared to B&W 603 S3,
Should I get an S6 instead of waiting for new RS6 stock, current Ebay offer for S6 is $629.

Please help, I am dying to hear my new assembled system of Rega Apollo CDP, Prima Lune Prologue one but have no speakers yet.

Cheers
Philip
post #197 of 10378 Old 06-21-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:

If the AVR350 is bi-amped, would it still be possible to have a 5.1 Setup, without switching speaker cables ?

yes, there are 7 channels available. 4 for the fronts.
post #198 of 10378 Old 06-22-2006, 03:07 AM

Quote:

Sounds like you are growing into an audiophile...
Suggest the belkin PF60 power conditioner if you don't already have one. Don't get too polite of a pre/power amp. I use a Krell preamp (ballsy bass), Butler Audio Tube 5 channel power (soothing, transparent, clean and control) and Benchmark DAC1 (cleanest and somewhat polite) with Belkin PF60 conditioning and Belkin silver cables.

Suggest twistergroup.com for a good deal on the Belkin stuff. Go listen if you can...

Thanks! I have been looking at the PF60, but I am overseas in the land of 220v... so I'm still waiting for Belkin to release their 220v versions. They had announced them over 6 months ago but they have since removed any reference to them from their website. Not sure if they have decided to cancel.

As for the amp, my currently planned setup is already stretching my budget, so I'm going to make my life easier and not consider anything out of my reach.
post #199 of 10378 Old 06-22-2006, 03:09 AM

Quote:

The AVR300 & AVR350 are both 7.1 receivers that will allow you to bi-amp the two main fronts if you are running in a 5.1 set-up. Results are supposed to be quite good.
post #200 of 10378 Old 06-24-2006, 03:09 AM

Ok thanks! The Arcam 300/350 sounds to be a good choice, i will only use it in a 5.1 setup, so i will be able to bi-amp.

Has anyone hear Monitor Audios with Rotel ?
Our local store has Rotel RSP-1068 (Surround Preamp processor ) and Rotel RMB-1075 (surround 5 x 120w amp)

Maybe this is a better choice for my Monitor Audios ?
post #201 of 10378 Old 06-24-2006, 09:27 AM

Hi all ... Been puzzle over what to buy for my speaker setup at home (5.1 type)

I love the sound of MA Silver RS6 (yet to test Bronze B4) but the price of the speaker + RLCR + Rear Bronze just way above what I willingly to pay. So been toying the idea of buying Bronze B4 + Bronze LCR instead.

Next in line is what AV I should match with the speaker, the reason I dont wish to buy RS is that I found it will be a waste to match it with mid-tier AV like Denon 2106 or Yammy 659 (Both which I am looking at the moment)

Seems that most folks been matching Denon with MA.

RS6 is definitely a great speaker plus a great Design too (I simply love the finishes and the design of the set - so beautifully craved and match well with my living room design is primarily is wood base)

Just wanna to hear expert advise from fellow MA user on AV matching with MA

Choice
Bronze 5.1 setup (B4, LCR, B2) + Denon 2106?
Bronze 5.1 Setup (B4, LCR, B2) + Yammy RX-V659 (Heard 659 music playing capability aint too great as compare to Denon)

RS6 with Denon 2106 or Yammy?

Thanks...
post #202 of 10378 Old 06-24-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorddraco View Post

I found it will be a waste to match it with mid-tier AV like Denon 2106 or Yammy 659 (Both which I am looking at the moment)

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. sing it with me!

Quote:

Seems that most folks been matching Denon with MA.

denon is a very popular brand. But that doesnt mean anything. Ipods are immensely popular but are not the best.

Quote:

RS6 with Denon 2106 or Yammy?

this is the choice. The number one selection to make should be the speakers. These are the things that turn your music into reality. They can affect the music the most in IMO. The rest of the differences are "subtle" differences. In addition, they are the longest lasting component of the system. Speakers can last 15 years, so make the choice you will be happy with for 15 years. Receivers will make improvements 10 times in 15 years. They will add this and that technology, getting better and cheaper. But a good set of speakers will always be a good set of speakers.

The Bronze are colored and you will outgrow them in 15 years especially when next generation DD+ comes with every $100 HDDVD player. All the multichannel going through next gen HDMI 1.3. You see, all this crap is right around the corner. And if audio starts to take advantage of True HD audio, then in 5 years you have the most spectacular audio nirvana pumping through bronzes. And your expensive Arcam AVR300 that you bought for your bronzes will be selling on ebay for $500. Youll have to start all over again.

I bought the silvers and got a cheapo receiver... because I know I will have these speakers forever. I almost had my paradigm 11se mkII's forever; 15 years I had these speakers. No speaker today can match those (IMO). The only thing that happened that I never planned for is a girlfriend who moved in and called them ugly.

Another problem I present to you is the chain of command when it comes to audio reproduction. Many will agree that the next important link in the chain after speakers is not the amp per se, but the DACS in the receiver. All these amps boast their burr-brown DACS or whatever. Why? What we do with that signal in the FIRST step is turn those 1's and 0's into SOUND. DACS are what are important for getting the most from audio.

I know, when I heard this from the pompous esoteric audio dealers, I thought they were FOS.... but I have been toying with some pretty $hi77y receivers in my day, all under the guise of my modified ART DI/O DAC. I meet people every once and awhile that call me FOS too when I tell them this made the BIGGEST difference, but I bring them over for some food and wine a little A/B, and viola. They cant contest me. So for stereo music listening, a good DAC is more worthwhile than a new receiver. Expecially when Yammy is NO SLOUCH! And lastly, with new audio technology coming out (DD+, True HD, electronic parts), the DAC becomes less (well not entirely) important as well as other links in the chain from there.

I know, Im rambling, because I could invite you over for food and wine and talk all night, but the moral of the story is.... get the RS and dont regret it.
post #203 of 10378 Old 06-25-2006, 12:57 AM

Quote:

I know, Im rambling, because I could invite you over for food and wine and talk all night, but the moral of the story is.... get the RS and dont regret it.

Aint rambling ... I can understand your point. The AV receiver can change very fast, like a PC/Computer Technology. What is high-end feature today become a de facto tomorrow. Speaker is a key so I also do not wish to rush into buying a set of speaker that I will regret it later.

My true dilemma is I am scare to under utilized a set of good speaker that I brought at an expensive price but I will take note of your comment. Cause when I start to test and listen the difference between the bronze and silver. Perhaps I will make a better decision. cheers!

post #204 of 10378 Old 06-25-2006, 09:41 AM
SeƱor Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 403
After much auditioning, I started into this hobby a couple of years ago with the MA Silvers in a 5.1 setup. S8's for the front and S6's for the rear and a SLRC. The power was provided by a Denon 3805 AVR. This combination worked well until I upgraded (upgradeitis ) to the GR series. Based upon the size of my room (8000 CF++) and the more power hungry speakers) I added a power amp. The amp provides more headroom and so helps at the highest SPL's for action movies or when I want to crank it for music but at normal (non-hearing damaging) listening levels, the Denon alone would be fine. The beauty of an AVR is you can start off using it and add power with an amp if you feel it is necessary. Many of the current model AVRs make good pre amps and have all of the video switching capabilities you could want.

I agree with others that you should buy as much speaker as you can afford but auditioning is the only way to determine if a speaker has the sound qualities you prefer. The final challenge is creating that audition quality sound in your space. If you are not prepared to learn and tweak you are (like most of my friends) better off purchasing a turnkey system (setup included).

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #205 of 10378 Old 06-25-2006, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

The beauty of an AVR is you can start off using it and add power with an amp if you feel it is necessary. Many of the current model AVRs make good pre amps and have all of the video switching capabilities you could want.

I agree with others that you should buy as much speaker as you can afford but auditioning is the only way to determine if a speaker has the sound qualities you prefer. The final challenge is creating that audition quality sound in your space. If you are not prepared to learn and tweak you are (like most of my friends) better off purchasing a turnkey system (setup included).

I agree with this statement about receivers making good pre-pros, last year I bought a pair of RS6 and and Integra 6.5 receiver and the power was fine as it only had to power the RS6 and a pair of old speakers I used as surrounds. A few weeks ago I added a pair of RS1, the RSLCR and a pair of Axiom QS8, so instead of having my receiver power all 7 speakers in my space, over 6000 cubic feet, I bought a used power amp (Rotel 985) to power my fronts and I have the receiver power the surrounds. When I get more money, it is a disease, I will buy a amp and have that power my fronts and move the Rotel to power the surrounds and keep the receiver as a pre-pro.
post #206 of 10378 Old 06-26-2006, 08:32 AM

I'm interested in hearing about anyone's experience with pushing the Silver RS series with significantly more than the recommended amp wattage. I see from the thread that people are using a variety of amps, big and small. My situation: I already had a Parasound Halo A51 (250w x 5 into 8 ohms), which I really like, from a prior system and just acquired the RS6, LCR and RS1 to replace less-efficient speakers. Sound is great, but I guess what I am wondering is how these speakers would do with *less* power. Specifically I'm wondering whether, now that I have more efficient speakers, I can free up some dough by selling the A51 and buying an A52 (125 x5). Kind of a retarded question I know, but if anyone has experience with more vs. less power on these speakers I'd appreciate it.
post #207 of 10378 Old 06-26-2006, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

What advantage would you get from the A52 over the A51 why you would consider selling to get less power?
post #208 of 10378 Old 06-26-2006, 09:04 AM

Basically just wondering out loud how much a difference it would make. I am generally of the camp that more power is better, and am not worried about damaging the speakers with the bigger amp. I just haven't done a head to head with larger and smaller amps to see what the difference would be. I'm happy with the sound now, but wonder whether I could also be happy with the smaller amp, and have a few extra bucks to put into something else, like a new processor. I did already concede it was kind of a retarded question.
post #209 of 10378 Old 06-26-2006, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

If that money is burning a hole in your pocket, spend it somewhere else and leave your big amp alone. Do you need treatment, if yes, spend the money there; you will be happy with the results.
post #210 of 10378 Old 06-26-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post

I'm interested in hearing about anyone's experience with pushing the Silver RS series with significantly more than the recommended amp wattage.

you can use a 10,000 watt amp.. just dont crank the volume beyond the limits of the speaker.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Denon Avr 3806 Av Receiver , Receivers Amplifiers , Nad , Jl Audio Brand , Parasound , Sunfire , Denon Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player , Toshiba

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page