Klipsch owner thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 38251 Old 12-10-2006, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
brahmzy- Buy the RF-82 first and then try it. If you don't like the match you can always buy the RC-62 latter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 38251 Old 12-11-2006, 05:32 AM

Liked: 10
Hey, all!

I finally finished upgrading my HT setup. I used Klipsch all around; two RB-61s, an RC-52 and four RS-42s.

Originally, when the pictures were taken, the sound was very boxy and sounded like a speaker inside of a can. I believe this was due to the volume of space that the front three speakers were sitting in. I ended up placing an old, standard pillow behind each speaker. This tightened up the sound immensely. Sounds very good now!

Check out the pictures of my setup.

Picture 3:
Samsung HL-S6188W

Cabinets from left to right:
1. Klipsch RB-61
2. Magnovox Hi-Fi VCR, Onkyo DX-C390 CD Player, and a Kenwood dual tape deck
3. Klipsch RC-52, PS2 and an APC Back-ups
4. (space for an HD disc player), OPPO DV-970HD, Onkyo TX-SR804
5. Klipsch RB-61

I love it!
post #273 of 38251 Old 12-11-2006, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post

Hey all, I currently have these 5 year old Klipsch's

RB-5 (8" Bookshelfs)
RC-3 (Dual 6 1/2" Center)
RS-3 (6 1/2" Surrounds)

I love 'em, but I want to get a pair of the RF-82's to replace the bookshelf speakers.

So, do I need to swap out the center for the newer RC-62 to keep proper "timbre" or sound? There's very little difference between my center and the new one, but I want the best possible sound, within reason. Is there that much sound difference in 5 years?
Also, where the heck would I attempt to sell my RB-5s and potentially my RC-3?

Thanks.

I currently have the RF3II for my left and right. When I was looking to get a center, I had a very hard time finding the matching RC3, so I ended up getting the RC35. I did not like that match and ended up getting the RC7 and have not looked back. I believe Klipsch have rounded out the highs more so in the IV series. I think you would notice the difference between the 2 generations. If you were wanting to get the 82's, I would plan on getting the RC62 at some time. Have you been on the Klipsch forum? That is generally a good place to start if your looking to sell older gear, especially the RB5, RC3.
post #274 of 38251 Old 12-11-2006, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestmuff View Post

Hey, all!

I finally finished upgrading my HT setup. I used Klipsch all around; two RB-61s, an RC-52 and four RS-42s.

Originally, when the pictures were taken, the sound was very boxy and sounded like a speaker inside of a can. I believe this was due to the volume of space that the front three speakers were sitting in. I ended up placing an old, standard pillow behind each speaker. This tightened up the sound immensely. Sounds very good now!

Check out the pictures of my setup.

Picture 3:
Samsung HL-S6188W

Cabinets from left to right:
1. Klipsch RB-61
2. Magnovox Hi-Fi VCR, Onkyo DX-C390 CD Player, and a Kenwood dual tape deck
3. Klipsch RC-52, PS2 and an APC Back-ups
4. (space for an HD disc player), OPPO DV-970HD, Onkyo TX-SR804
5. Klipsch RB-61

I love it!

Very nice woodwork. Not necessarily the best placement though, it does not surprise me they souded boxy. Do you listen to the system with all the cabinets closed? These are front ported speakers so the pillows behind the speakers probably cut down on some of the reflections within the shelf. With the RB61's being on their sides and so close to the floor, the horn dispersion pattern may be right into the floor. Is that your only option for placement?

Congrats on the new speakers.
post #275 of 38251 Old 12-11-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perch33 View Post

I currently have the RF3II for my left and right. When I was looking to get a center, I had a very hard time finding the matching RC3, so I ended up getting the RC35. I did not like that match and ended up getting the RC7 and have not looked back. I believe Klipsch have rounded out the highs more so in the IV series. I think you would notice the difference between the 2 generations. If you were wanting to get the 82's, I would plan on getting the RC62 at some time. Have you been on the Klipsch forum? That is generally a good place to start if your looking to sell older gear, especially the RB5, RC3.

Perch, thanks for the helpful post.

I'll get the RC-62 with the RF-82's. (I was afraid of that, hehe.)
post #276 of 38251 Old 12-11-2006, 11:09 AM

Proud to be among the ranks of Klipsch owners!

Just installed a brand new system in my 2BR condo...

Main L/R: RB-51s
Center: RC-52
Rear: None - I'm digging 3.1 at the moment.
Sub: Went with a 10" Yamaha for $99
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5940... who said Yammy & Klipsch don't play nice together??
DVD: Yamaha DV-S5950

I'm absolutely loving what I hear so far. The only thing I question is whether or not the RC-52 center is "overkill" for my RB-51s (even though it's the recommended center for them)... it's definitely not a small center speaker as Klipsch recommends the RC-52 for the RB-61 also (size-wise, it's in better proportion with the RB61 imo).

In all honesty, the RC-52 is too big for my AV stand. The *only* possible place it can go disallows me from uptilting much - and also requires me to place the RB-51s much lower than the optimum ear-level height (assuming that front L/R "need" to be same height as center). I kind of knew it would be too big, but caved in since I thought ideal timbre matching was the most important element.... I'm thinking of either exchanging the RC-52 for something physically smaller or possibly nixing the center altogether and going phantom for a while (maybe use that $ for some rear speakers and go 4.1).

Can I get away with an alternatively smaller Klipsch center? It looks like the RC-10 (which seems to be a smaller clone of the 52, only with 4" woofers instead of 5.25") would be an ideal solution to my spatial issues, but would this affect my system adversely (i.e. timbre matching, etc.)? And is it ok for my main RB51s to be at ear-level height while, say, an RC-10 is about a foot lower but perfectly uptilted? Seating is approximately 9 feet from AV display and speakers if that helps. While I'm at it, am I compromising performance of my Klipsch speakers by using the Yammy sub? It's a YST-SW216.

Your feedback would be most appreciated!
post #277 of 38251 Old 12-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I have SF-2 floor speakers and the matching Center, I still have a small set of Infinity satelite speakers for my surrounds. THey are fine for Home theatre, but now I want something that will be better for playing back music, and something that will match the SF-2's in the front...Looking to keep them up on the wall, so no towers. I see klipsh stopped making the SF-2 in 2004 I don't know what took there place....
Any suggestions on what surrounds to look at to match what I have? I have a Yamaha reciever I think it is the 5550 I would have to look at the model number...
System sounds great, I just would like to have a more fuller sounding Surround speaker for listening to music, usually I play music in 5ch stereo....
Thanks for some help..
Rick

RickP.
post #278 of 38251 Old 12-11-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpoz View Post

I am getting ready to buy a Denon 2307 and also some RB 61s, RS42s, and a RC 52. I already have a powered sub and some Boston Acoustics Dipoles which I am going to leave those for my rears. Does this sound like a good combo for a entry level HT setup?

I got it all hooked up and ready to go and it sounds incredible. I have it in a fairly large room and it fills the room awesome.
post #279 of 38251 Old 12-13-2006, 10:21 AM

A question that some of the more informed of you may be able to address. The Rvx-54's are intriguing because they fit aesthetically in a family room where this matters and apparently have pretty good sound. However, would they match up decently with the Rc-62 center channel. The Rc-62 gets rave reviews and given the importance of the center channel I was wondering what you all thought of matching this with the 54's.
post #280 of 38251 Old 12-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

I have a question for all of the fellow THX Ultra 2 system owners. I just recently finished getting mine setup. I'm having a problem with my subs that I wanted to see if others have had too and what you did/recommend to resolve it? Here's the lowdown (or lack there of).

I have the KW-120 subs and the KA-1000 amp. However, I have run two different sub cables to my receiver. Each time I get a real bad buzz in my speakers. During the low volume scenes it is especially noticeable. When I've disconnected the sub cable the buzz goes away instantly.

I've run the speaker test with my receiver and when I do that it appears to work to some extent. It does pass a signal to the subs during the speaker test. However, I'm getting no signal to them at all now when I'm playing back a movie. One of the specialty N2 cables used to connect the sub to the amp has the connector partially frayed. However, even with out using that sub and leaving that disconnected I get the same interference.

Any ideas? Is my amp defective? All of the settings on the front seem to work ok. Just seems like something going on internally. The rest of my system is fine. In fact it kicks serious ass to put it mildy. I know it's going to be even better once I get this resolved.

Thanks in advance for the help!
post #281 of 38251 Old 12-16-2006, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Does it sound like 60Hz? Might it be ground loop issue? What receiver? Did you try both of the input jacks on the amp?

Disconnect everything but the sub amp from your receiver. If you don't then have the hum, re-connect things one at a time to see which is causing the ground loop hum. If you still have the hum after all is disconnected, the problem is either in the KA, the receiver, or the cable. Turn off the receiver to see if the hum goes away. If not, disconnect the sub cable from the receiver. I'm just trying to eliminate one variable at a time. Have you tried to disconnect one sub speaker wire run? Lots of variables to try. Get your dealer involved. If I'd sold them to you, I'd bust my chops to find out what's going on. Good luck.
post #282 of 38251 Old 12-17-2006, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

Does it sound like 60Hz? Might it be ground loop issue? What receiver? Did you try both of the input jacks on the amp?

Disconnect everything but the sub amp from your receiver. If you don't then have the hum, re-connect things one at a time to see which is causing the ground loop hum. If you still have the hum after all is disconnected, the problem is either in the KA, the receiver, or the cable. Turn off the receiver to see if the hum goes away. If not, disconnect the sub cable from the receiver. I'm just trying to eliminate one variable at a time. Have you tried to disconnect one sub speaker wire run? Lots of variables to try. Get your dealer involved. If I'd sold them to you, I'd bust my chops to find out what's going on. Good luck.

So far I've pin pointed it to be from the KA. If I unplug the the sub wire from my receiver to the KA it goes away. I've tried two different sub cables. Both shielded, in fact one is a Monster THX certified cable. The problem arises when I plug the cable back in to the KA. I have tried both input jacks on the KA and get the same result. The rest of the speakers work beautifully when it is not plugged in.

I've run the test tone setup with my Pioneer Receiver (VSX-84TXSi) and the subs are getting a signal during the test pattern. I've taken the covers off and watched them move. So I know they are getting a signal from the receiver output.

Unfortunately, this is one of the only pieces I bought second hand off of ebay. The guy is sending me his original receipt to use for any warranty work needed. It was purchased according to him from Good Guys in CA. I'm not familiar with them and cannot find their website online. Anyone familiar with them? I'm getting nervous I may have gotten a lemon amp with no real recourse from Klipsch.
post #283 of 38251 Old 12-17-2006, 06:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhjr34 View Post

So far I've pin pointed it to be from the KA. If I unplug the the sub wire from my receiver to the KA it goes away. I've tried two different sub cables. Both shielded, in fact one is a Monster THX certified cable. The problem arises when I plug the cable back in to the KA. I have tried both input jacks on the KA and get the same result. The rest of the speakers work beautifully when it is not plugged in.

I've run the test tone setup with my Pioneer Receiver (VSX-84TXSi) and the subs are getting a signal during the test pattern. I've taken the covers off and watched them move. So I know they are getting a signal from the receiver output.

Unfortunately, this is one of the only pieces I bought second hand off of ebay. The guy is sending me his original receipt to use for any warranty work needed. It was purchased according to him from Good Guys in CA. I'm not familiar with them and cannot find their website online. Anyone familiar with them? I'm getting nervous I may have gotten a lemon amp with no real recourse from Klipsch.

If the problem is 60 Hz hum, it's usually caused by the electrical ground and the CATV ground being separate. It shows up as a hum in the sub, especially if the sub amp is connected to a different circuit than the rest of the system.

This was the problem I encountered. I corrected it by using a surge supressor with taps for the CATV signal as well as all electrical components in the system, but there are other ways to do it as well. Check the Hum FAQ for more information.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #284 of 38251 Old 12-17-2006, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawjhaw View Post

Proud to be among the ranks of Klipsch owners!

Just installed a brand new system in my 2BR condo...

Main L/R: RB-51s
Center: RC-52
Rear: None - I'm digging 3.1 at the moment.
Sub: Went with a 10" Yamaha for $99
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5940... who said Yammy & Klipsch don't play nice together??
DVD: Yamaha DV-S5950

I'm absolutely loving what I hear so far. The only thing I question is whether or not the RC-52 center is "overkill" for my RB-51s (even though it's the recommended center for them)... it's definitely not a small center speaker as Klipsch recommends the RC-52 for the RB-61 also (size-wise, it's in better proportion with the RB61 imo).

In all honesty, the RC-52 is too big for my AV stand. The *only* possible place it can go disallows me from uptilting much - and also requires me to place the RB-51s much lower than the optimum ear-level height (assuming that front L/R "need" to be same height as center). I kind of knew it would be too big, but caved in since I thought ideal timbre matching was the most important element.... I'm thinking of either exchanging the RC-52 for something physically smaller or possibly nixing the center altogether and going phantom for a while (maybe use that $ for some rear speakers and go 4.1).

Can I get away with an alternatively smaller Klipsch center? It looks like the RC-10 (which seems to be a smaller clone of the 52, only with 4" woofers instead of 5.25") would be an ideal solution to my spatial issues, but would this affect my system adversely (i.e. timbre matching, etc.)? And is it ok for my main RB51s to be at ear-level height while, say, an RC-10 is about a foot lower but perfectly uptilted? Seating is approximately 9 feet from AV display and speakers if that helps. While I'm at it, am I compromising performance of my Klipsch speakers by using the Yammy sub? It's a YST-SW216.

Your feedback would be most appreciated!

The RC-52 is the best choice to mate with the RB-51's. The RC-52 has bass extension to 66 Hz. Your bookshelves have extension to 50 Hz, so they can all be crossed over at 80 Hz with no problem. You could use the RC-10 in your system. However, it only has extension to 88 Hz. You could cross them all over at 100 Hz, (all speakers set to "Small" of course). The only downside would be that you run the risk of being able to localize the sub. If you keep it in the front of the room, close to the mains, you should be OK. Tilting the CC up towards your ears is a good solution to the height differential.

The Yammy sub doesn't compromise your system. However, a better sub will enhance the performance of your entire system. You don't need a Klipsch sub with a Klipsch speaker system; you just want the best sub you can get within your budget.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #285 of 38251 Old 12-17-2006, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Unfortunately, this is one of the only pieces I bought second hand off of ebay. The guy is sending me his original receipt to use for any warranty work needed. It was purchased according to him from Good Guys in CA.

Here's the bad news first...Klipsch warranties are not transferrable. From the Klipsch warranty: "This Warranty is only valid for the original purchaser and will automatically terminate prior to expiration if this product is sold or otherwise transferred to another party. "
Quote:

So far I've pin pointed it to be from the KA.

You need to verify this by sending it a signal from another source. I doubt you have a signal tone generator laying about...so try this. Turn off your receiver. Turn off the power to the KA. Disconnect all sources from your receiver. Disconnect the sub cable from the receiver sub out, and connect it to the center pre-out. Make sure the again KA is turned off, then turn on the receiver and make sure its volume is turned WAY down. Now, power up the KA. Any hum at the very low volume? If not, slowly turn up the volume to see if you hear the hum. If there is no hum, you have a problem in your receiver's sub-out, not the KA. If you still have the hum, try the same procedure with another receiver of any kind, sub-out or not. If the hum is there with another receiver, it is probably the KA.

What's the good news? Maybe you will find the source of your problem is not the KA.
post #286 of 38251 Old 12-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

thanks for the help guys. Problem solved. I got an extension cord to get everything into the same power strip and hum went kaput. Works like a charm now. Thanks again for the help!
post #287 of 38251 Old 12-17-2006, 09:37 PM

So you had evrything plugged in the power strip except for the sub? And when you plugged the sub into the power strip it fixed the problem? (Just clarifying)
post #288 of 38251 Old 12-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I had the amp plugged into a different outlet that was in my room. I had run out of rack space and was using the amp seperate from my other equipment for that reason. Apparently I was having a ground loop problem. I've temporarily run an extension cord to the back of my room where all of my other equipment is. Now, it's working fine and there is no buzz. The system sure does sound great. Wow! one of the best investments I've ever made into my room.
post #289 of 38251 Old 12-18-2006, 10:07 AM

Klipsch owners.

I've been offered the following deal on 2-year old speakers:

2 ea. RF-3
1 ea. RC-3
2 ea. RS-3 (think he means SS-3)

Monster cabling for the front 3 speakers. Total $800. Should I jump on this? The other alternative is I go with the SVS 5.0 system (I already have an SVS PC+ 20-39).

They are clearancing this same setup from BB at about $1,350+tax. Is there any difference between these model numbers sold by BB and those sold by other "Hi-Fi" stores? The seller is trying to tell me that these are not BB products, but are better than what is sold at BB (even though the model numbers are exactly the same.) I don't care if he's uninformed, I just wanted to validate this bit of data.

Thanks!
post #290 of 38251 Old 12-18-2006, 10:57 AM

Need some advice from anyone with experience with the new Refrence line-up. The wife and I couldn't decide on what we wanted for Christmas as "big" stuff from all of the groups of parents and her grandparents. So we told them all to get us giftcards to Best Buy. Now it looks like we will be getting $2,000+ in giftcards and we just bought a new TV and all new major appliances when we moved into our new house 6 months ago. So I did some looking around, and one of the BB's within driving distance has a Magnolia room, which carries the following; RB51 & 61, RF62 &82, RC52, and RS42.

I currently have the Synergy F-3 5.1 system. Before that I had an Athena F2.2 system. I am closer to being happy now, but not quite there yet. Now I have convinced the weef that upgrading our speakers should be the way we go with these giftcards, but the only problem is, looking at it I don't see it. I don't think the RF-62's will be enough of an upgrade over the F-3's to justify the additional expense, so it would have to be RF-82's which I have heard and do sound great. However the RC-52 probably isn't going to match too well.

Right now the tentative plan will be to go up to a 6.1 with RF-82's up front, and then 4 RB-61's as center and surrounds. Will that work or should I stick with the RC52? The plan kind of was to go with the bookshelves until I can convince the wife to let me spend additional money on top of what I get for selling the F-3's and the giftcards, then getting either the RC-62 or 64. But if the RC-52 will do a better job as center than the bookshelves, even in the short term, then I may go that way until another upgrade becomes possible.

Either wa the upgraded center is going to come after the upgraded Sub that is next on my wish list. I don't think the Rw12d is going to be any better than my current sub-12's, so my plan for that is to get some Rythmik kits from Rythmik audio and go that way. I am looking at dual 15's in a single sealed enclosure, but am very intrigued by his new 8 ohm 12's and may get 2 of those kits for 2 dual 12 subs. But that is another thread in another forum at another time.
post #291 of 38251 Old 12-18-2006, 06:35 PM

I got to really compare the RF-62's to the RF-82's for many, many hours and ended up getting the RF-82's with the RF-62 CC. The RF-62's sounded very good, but did not have quite the punchy snare/midbass response of the 82's (and that's what I like.) These replaced my older Klipsch Reference stuff. Having the 6 1/2" dual woofers in the CC is a must IMO. There's just no comparison to the smaller Klipsh R CC's. The bigger woofers just give a fuller sound and to me, fill in the gap a bit more with the sub. I had the RB-3's (8" woofer Bookshelves) with my 15" DefTec sub and the difference was too great, now it's much, much better with the floorstanders. Unfortunately I've never really listened to any of the Synergy stuff that closely to give an accurate recommendation. Good luck.
post #292 of 38251 Old 12-18-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post

Klipsch owners.

I've been offered the following deal on 2-year old speakers:

2 ea. RF-3
1 ea. RC-3
2 ea. RS-3 (think he means SS-3)

Monster cabling for the front 3 speakers. Total $800. Should I jump on this? The other alternative is I go with the SVS 5.0 system (I already have an SVS PC+ 20-39).

They are clearancing this same setup from BB at about $1,350+tax. Is there any difference between these model numbers sold by BB and those sold by other "Hi-Fi" stores? The seller is trying to tell me that these are not BB products, but are better than what is sold at BB (even though the model numbers are exactly the same.) I don't care if he's uninformed, I just wanted to validate this bit of data.

Thanks!

BB did not sell these speakers that you have listed. The RF-3, RC-3, RS3 are all a part of the Reference family and have the copper colored woofers with the black dust caps. The Synergy series have the all black or gray colored woofers. There have been a couple generations of the Synergy series that BB has sold SF-3/F-3 and so on. The newer F-3 were based on the Reference RF3's. The Reference series is the better of the two, with better components. If they are in fact RF-3, these were in the first generation of References built. The latest models, RF82, 83,62,63 are Generation IV. I believe the RF3 new retailed for $1200/pr. I have them and they are a very fine speaker.
post #293 of 38251 Old 12-18-2006, 07:35 PM

I have RS-35 fronts ,Rc-35 center,pair of RS-35 's for side surrounds ,two Rs-35's for back surrounds,two Rw-12 subs, velodyne sms-1,outlaw 990 pre-pro and outlaw 7125 amp
post #294 of 38251 Old 12-19-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:

BB did not sell these speakers that you have listed. The RF-3, RC-3, RS3 are all a part of the Reference family and have the copper colored woofers with the black dust caps. The Synergy series have the all black or gray colored woofers. There have been a couple generations of the Synergy series that BB has sold SF-3/F-3 and so on. The newer F-3 were based on the Reference RF3's. The Reference series is the better of the two, with better components. If they are in fact RF-3, these were in the first generation of References built. The latest models, RF82, 83,62,63 are Generation IV. I believe the RF3 new retailed for $1200/pr. I have them and they are a very fine speaker.

Ah, so $800 sounds like a good deal!
post #295 of 38251 Old 12-20-2006, 01:40 PM

Bacchus, you can always go onto the Klipsch website and compare the two different models. Reference vs. Synergy. On paper the specs may be similar, but the Reference series uses higher grade components, as I stated earlier. I would make sure which series the owner has, before I pull the trigger.
post #296 of 38251 Old 12-20-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Bacchus, you can always go onto the Klipsch website and compare the two different models. Reference vs. Synergy. On paper the specs may be similar, but the Reference series uses higher grade components, as I stated earlier. I would make sure which series the owner has, before I pull the trigger.

They are reference. I bought them. I watching war of the worlds right now. Wow.
post #297 of 38251 Old 12-20-2006, 05:07 PM

Yes wow is right, I think I'm going to go deaf because of my new setup

My System

Denon 2310-Ci
Panasonic 50PZ80U
Klipsch RF-62
Klipsch RC-52
Klipsch RS-42
SVS PB12-NSD
post #298 of 38251 Old 12-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve View Post

A question that some of the more informed of you may be able to address. The Rvx-54's are intriguing because they fit aesthetically in a family room where this matters and apparently have pretty good sound. However, would they match up decently with the Rc-62 center channel. The Rc-62 gets rave reviews and given the importance of the center channel I was wondering what you all thought of matching this with the 54's.

The RC-62 is probably going to overpower the RVX 54 at higher levels, IMO. The dual 6 1/2 woofers are meant more to match timbre with the RB-61, RF-62 and RF-82.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #299 of 38251 Old 12-20-2006, 06:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonidd View Post

Need some advice from anyone with experience with the new Refrence line-up. The wife and I couldn't decide on what we wanted for Christmas as "big" stuff from all of the groups of parents and her grandparents. So we told them all to get us giftcards to Best Buy. Now it looks like we will be getting $2,000+ in giftcards and we just bought a new TV and all new major appliances when we moved into our new house 6 months ago. So I did some looking around, and one of the BB's within driving distance has a Magnolia room, which carries the following; RB51 & 61, RF62 &82, RC52, and RS42.

I currently have the Synergy F-3 5.1 system. Before that I had an Athena F2.2 system. I am closer to being happy now, but not quite there yet. Now I have convinced the weef that upgrading our speakers should be the way we go with these giftcards, but the only problem is, looking at it I don't see it. I don't think the RF-62's will be enough of an upgrade over the F-3's to justify the additional expense, so it would have to be RF-82's which I have heard and do sound great. However the RC-52 probably isn't going to match too well.

Right now the tentative plan will be to go up to a 6.1 with RF-82's up front, and then 4 RB-61's as center and surrounds. Will that work or should I stick with the RC52? The plan kind of was to go with the bookshelves until I can convince the wife to let me spend additional money on top of what I get for selling the F-3's and the giftcards, then getting either the RC-62 or 64. But if the RC-52 will do a better job as center than the bookshelves, even in the short term, then I may go that way until another upgrade becomes possible.

Either wa the upgraded center is going to come after the upgraded Sub that is next on my wish list. I don't think the Rw12d is going to be any better than my current sub-12's, so my plan for that is to get some Rythmik kits from Rythmik audio and go that way. I am looking at dual 15's in a single sealed enclosure, but am very intrigued by his new 8 ohm 12's and may get 2 of those kits for 2 dual 12 subs. But that is another thread in another forum at another time.

Personally, I would go with RB-61's all the way around; perfect timber-matching. If you're set on doing an awesome DIY sub, you don't need additional extension in your mains. Cross all that good bass over to the speaker made to handle it -- your sub. Save the money from the floorstanders and you can do your sub sooner.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #300 of 38251 Old 12-20-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Personally, I would go with RB-61's all the way around; perfect timber-matching. If you're set on doing an awesome DIY sub, you don't need additional extension in your mains. Cross all that good bass over to the speaker made to handle it -- your sub. Save the money from the floorstanders and you can do your sub sooner.

Craig

That's the funny thing. When you hear someone mention WAF around here it's almost always the old lady wanting smaller speakers. Not so in my case, if the wife had her way we would have a huge 6+ foot tall line source or something similar and gigantic up front and either nothing, or the littlest Bose type satelites all around that we could get. She likes the sound of surround, but doesn't understand why we can't get one of those stupid "sound projectors" or whatever to simulate surround sound.

So we compromise. I can't put bookshelves up front, or towers all around; but at the same time I do get to have bookshelves (or surrounds) instead of satelites. And honestly Towers do sound better to me in 2 channel even with a sub. What I'm really waiting for is a decent front projector that fits all of my wants/needs so I can put a 3rd tower behind the screen, because I love the dnyamics of the towers and want more of it in my HT application, especially during action movies that have wild variances in sound levels.

So really it leaves me right back where I started, either the Bookshelf or the smaller center as a center, and either short term or long term. Although I do like your idea, because I am eagerly awaiting the new sub.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page