post #3061 of 37492 Old 05-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I agree with hoosier1 that for Rears you probably made the best bang-for-your-buck choice and wouldn't realize the difference. Congrats on the Home Theater. :-)

Thanks ZT & Hoosier1 . . .

I think I will stick, then, with the RB61s . . . especially since a Klipsch employee advises so.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by! --Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 37492 Old 05-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdimmuxx View Post

All you guys with 7.1 systems are making me jealous. I only have 4.1 now(matrixed center), still need the RC-7 and the RB-75's.

Youll get there!

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by! --Douglas Adams
post #3063 of 37492 Old 05-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdimmuxx View Post

All you guys with 7.1 systems are making me jealous. I only have 4.1 now(matrixed center), still need the RC-7 and the RB-75's.

If you have a pair of RF-7 up front, you are off to a great start. Great speakers.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #3064 of 37492 Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 190
[Also posted on the Klipsch forums]

Center between KHorns: Heresy or La Scala ?

Hi guys,

I will be finishing my basement eventually and am figuring out how to handle center channel duty. I currently have a 1982 Heresy II mounted upside-down over an old 52-inch RPTV. After the basement is finished, the 52-inch will be replaced by something like a 50-inch LCD. I am currently testing out using a 1973 La Scala as center, thinking that it should be a better match and more dynamic. The comparison isn't perfect because neither the Heresy II or the La Scala have refreshed caps, and so are not optimal in their sound. I have moved the TV off-center to leave room for the La Scala, which is also off-center, and that isn't perfect either as a test.

I don't have a firm opinion yet of the La Scala vs Heresy II comparison (still too early), but here are the possible scenarios for me:

- Keep the current Heresy mounted over an LCD display, but either upgrade the crossover or buy the Heresy III upgrade for it. The Heresy is small enough that it doesn't limit screen placement.

- Use the La Scala (with refreshed caps or perhaps ALK Universal crossover) at floor level but built into the back wall. This places the screen slightly higher than I would normally choose the place it.

- Use the La Scala (with refreshed caps or perhaps ALK Universal crossover) mounted up close to the ceiling and angled down, and possibly upside-down. This would also be built into the wall. This places the screen slightly lower than I would otherwise place it, but the mid-point of the screen would actually be close to eye level.

I'm open to comments about screen placement height (which would lower the desirability of one of the above options), acoustics of center channel height, and using either a Heresy II, Heresy III or La Scala as center between KHorns. It would be cool to use a vertical Cornwall as center, but they simply don't exist in my market and are too big to ship.

Thanks!

post #3065 of 37492 Old 05-26-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

[Also posted on the Klipsch forums]

Center between KHorns: Heresy or La Scala ?

It sounds like a good problem to have, but I have never liked the Heresy as a stand alone speaker and couldn't imagine it holding a candle to the La Scala. I heard 3 La Scalas up front/2 Belles being used as Surrounds, with dual THX subwoofers in Indy a few years back and that was the most AWESOME Home Theater I have ever heard. :-)
post #3066 of 37492 Old 05-26-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It sounds like a good problem to have, but I have never liked the Heresy as a stand alone speaker and couldn't imagine it holding a candle to the La Scala. I heard 3 La Scalas up front/2 Belles being used as Surrounds, with dual THX subwoofers in Indy a few years back and that was the most AWESOME Home Theater I have ever heard. :-)

Thanks for your thoughts. The Heresy is a better HT speaker than a standalone speaker because it can be set to "small" in HT environments and then does fairly well. Or were you talking about its overall sound?

In any case, I had noticed in the past that some sound tracks would sound extremely dynamic on the two main speakers, almost without limits and effortless, but that I could detect some compression from the center speaker (the Heresy). This is why I thought to improve things by using a La Scala as center. They are kinda wasted as my surround speakers.

post #3067 of 37492 Old 05-26-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

...Or were you talking about its overall sound?

...This is why I thought to improve things by using a La Scala as center. They are kinda wasted as my surround speakers.

I was talking about the over all sound compared to the La Scala. I prefer my RB-75s to the Heresys if it came down to similar footprint, and of course my RF-7s to both. I also prefer my RF-7s (with a sub) compared to Cornwall HTs I've heard, but feel the La Scala/K-horn would be a step above what I have, but don't have the room/space.

Given you own a pair of La Scalas that you think are being underutilized and know what the Heresy sounds like in the mix, I am sure my off the cuff opinion has already been considered and you know the sonic qualities of your speakers. That being said, I stand by my opinion that 3 La Scalas across the front would be awesome, but I guess the flip side to consider is if your room is wide enough to appreciate it (and what to do with a single La Scala;-). Good luck.
post #3068 of 37492 Old 05-26-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Need some input from Klipsch owners on the following system I'm thinking of putting together. Of course I'm on a budget which isn't huge in the world of speakers. Here it is:

5.1 System:
RW-10D subwoofer
RF-52 Fronts
RC-52 Center
RSX-4 Surrounds

Runs about $1,700. The reason I went with the RSX-4's for surrounds basically the form factor. Currently I'm using stands but I'd like to wall mount these once I move into a house. Many of the other Klipsch surrounds are kind of large.

Room size is about 11 wide x 22 long.
Receiver is Yamaha RX-V2600

Let me know what you guys think?
post #3069 of 37492 Old 05-26-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was talking about the over all sound compared to the La Scala. I prefer my RB-75s to the Heresys if it came down to similar footprint, and of course my RF-7s to both. I also prefer my RF-7s (with a sub) compared to Cornwall HTs I've heard, but feel the La Scala/K-horn would be a step above what I have, but don't have the room/space.

Given you own a pair of La Scalas that you think are being underutilized and know what the Heresy sounds like in the mix, I am sure my off the cuff opinion has already been considered and you know the sonic qualities of your speakers. That being said, I stand by my opinion that 3 La Scalas across the front would be awesome, but I guess the flip side to consider is if your room is wide enough to appreciate it (and what to do with a single La Scala;-). Good luck.

If I moved one of the La Scala to the front (I have room; the speaker would actually be recessed into the front wall), I would either use the second one as: (1) rear channel in 6.1, (2) side-surround paired with the single Heresy II that I would have liberated from center-duty (mismatched speakers, I know, but gain-ajustable) or (3) a long-term loan to a friend who just bought used KHorns to use as his center channel.

post #3070 of 37492 Old 05-26-2008, 07:48 PM

Liked: 16
You could always build a verticle Cornwall, or even a CornScala (see the Klipsch Forum). I prefer the bass extension of the Cornwall for the Center channel. I have built a few, but always end up selling them to friends.
post #3071 of 37492 Old 05-26-2008, 08:33 PM

Liked: 14
I currently have a system consisting of an Onkyo TX-SR705(100wt),Klipsch RF-63's,RC-62,RSX-4's, and an RW-10d. I will eventually upgrade my surrounds but for now the
RSX-4's are sounding just fine with my system. You might want to consider the RB-81's as your mains if you are willing to add a little less than $100.00 to your budget. Or if Tweeter/Sound Advice still has the RB-35's on sale($299.99/pair). I just took the 35's back today because I found the 63's for a great price. If Tweeter does still have that
deal on the 35's(pre-RB81), consider upgrading to the RC-62 and you will come in less than your budget. You then could upgrade in the future(if funds permit) to maybe the RF-82 towers.
post #3072 of 37492 Old 05-26-2008, 09:17 PM

will i encounter any issues with this setup

Onkyo tx-sr606 with Klipsch Quintetâ„¢ III Home Theater System up with our Sub-10 sub woofer

thank you.......

......my wife got her central vacuum......now it's my turn
post #3073 of 37492 Old 05-27-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1DIMMER View Post

Need some input from Klipsch owners on the following system I'm thinking of putting together. Of course I'm on a budget which isn't huge in the world of speakers. Here it is:

5.1 System:
RW-10D subwoofer
RF-52 Fronts
RC-52 Center
RSX-4 Surrounds

Runs about $1,700. The reason I went with the RSX-4's for surrounds basically the form factor. Currently I'm using stands but I'd like to wall mount these once I move into a house. Many of the other Klipsch surrounds are kind of large.

Room size is about 11 wide x 22 long.
Receiver is Yamaha RX-V2600

Let me know what you guys think?

Looks good, although I would recommend switching out the RSX-4's, and stepping up the sub to the 12". When I bought mine, I bought the 10 series and went with a RCX-4 for the center (5.1 at the time). From day one I was never satisfied with the RCX series, they just don't match the quality of the horns, and to me they stick out like a sore thumb. So then I was in the market for some back speakers, I compared the RSX-4's to the RB-10's. Well from a direct comparison it was obvious what the better (IMO) speaker was, so I went with the RB-10's. In all actuality, they are a small speaker (as small as the RCX) and sound great. After that I ditched the center channel and bought the RC-10. So far everything is sounding great. For the smallest Klipsch speaker set, I have been very impressed with it.

As for the sub, I have the 12" and I am very happy with it. I wouldn't consider going with a ten though, the output on the 12 isn't great, but enough, anything smaller might just rattle more than it sounds.
post #3074 of 37492 Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRPM View Post

You could always build a verticle Cornwall, or even a CornScala (see the Klipsch Forum). I prefer the bass extension of the Cornwall for the Center channel. I have built a few, but always end up selling them to friends.

It's an interesting idea as well to build something. Since it's going to be in-wall, it doesn't even have to have a full veneer finish.

If you prefer the bass extension of the Cornwall for the center channel, are you hinting that you prefer not to use it set to small? Any particular reason?

Thanks!

post #3075 of 37492 Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

As center speaker between Klipschorns, an interesting idea from the Klipsch forum:

Screen height would be optimal if placed just above the La Scala bass bin, sitting on the floor. I could hide the top half of the La Scala with the screen, and move the two HF horns above the TV mounted on an in-wall motorboard, angled down a bit. I could add a black grill to match the Klipschorn top section.

post #3076 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 06:40 AM

Just want to make a quick comment on great customer service over at Klipsch. Kudos go out to Jeremy McWilliams in parts dept.

Here is my story;

I bought an RF-82 system, and my floorstanding speakers didnt come with carpet spikes, owners manual said they did, well whateva, mine didnt come with any. So I call up customer service and spoke to Jeremy as what I needed to do to get some. All it took was a copy of my reciept and whalla, thats it...

Checked my e-mail the next day, and got a confirmation thru Fed-Ex that my carpet spikes were being sent. 5 days later, I get my carpet spikes (Memorial weekend....took a little longer)

So once again, thanks out to Jeremy for taking care of me and providing great customer service ASAP. You just scored a loyal customer.

You are damaging my calm... - Jayne Cobb
post #3077 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 10:55 AM

is the RF52 a direct replacement for the RF35? would it be ok to match the RF35 with the RC52? reason i ask it that a month ago i bought a rc52; Well a week ago WOOT had the RF35 on sale and i couldnt pass up the offer. i ended up snagging a pair of RF35 for $500. now im wondering wheter im going to experience any missmatch with the two?
post #3078 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef25 View Post

is the RF52 a direct replacement for the RF35? would it be ok to match the RF35 with the RC52? reason i ask it that a month ago i bought a rc52; Well a week ago WOOT had the RF35 on sale and i couldnt pass up the offer. i ended up snagging a pair of RF35 for $500. now im wondering wheter im going to experience any missmatch with the two?

I'm pretty sure the RF-82 is the direct replacement for the RF-35. The RF-52 more closely resembles the RF-15. The RC-52 is a tad small for the RF-35.
post #3079 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzoz01 View Post

I'm pretty sure the RF-82 is the direct replacement for the RF-35. The RF-52 more closely resembles the RF-15. The RC-52 is a tad small for the RF-35.

oh oh.. so does that mean my RC-52 will be overpowered by the sounds comming from the RC35?

i mostly use it for HT.
post #3080 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Hello. Looking for some wisdom from you guys. I am in need of new mains to mate them with an AV123 RSC200 center, and am looking at Klipsch. Any recommendations? I am looking for the most matched pair. The reason I chose that center is because I heard so many good things and recommendations of it.

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #3081 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Geronimo, if you want a good match stick with av123s rocket series speakers. I don't know what your budget is but they are a good value from everything I've heard. Klipsch speakers have horn tweeters and sometimes midrange. I don't believe the av123 stuff uses horns in any of their stuff. You will end up have a very mismatched front stage. If you want Klipsch speakers get a Klipsch center.
post #3082 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

oh oh.. so does that mean my RC-52 will be overpowered by the sounds comming from the RC35?

i mostly use it for HT.

The RF-35s have dual 8" drivers, the RC-52 has dual 5.25". I'd look into an RC-35 (should be able to pick up for ~$200) or an RC-62/64.
post #3083 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 12:04 PM

hmmm. so match it with the Rc35 then.. wait, but isnt the RC-52 better than the RC35?
post #3084 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:

hmmm. so match it with the Rc35 then.. wait, but isnt the RC-52 better than the RC35?

The RC35 will be a better tibre match than the RC52.

Its not the size of the woofer that matters, but the size of the sound.

You are damaging my calm... - Jayne Cobb
post #3085 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No. RC-35 is better center overall and better match to the RF-35. RC-35 is dual 6.5" (msrp $399) RC-52 is dual 5.25" (msrp $299). Also if I remember correctly, the RC-35 is sealed and the rc-52 is ported. RC-35 was replaced by rc-62.
post #3086 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i mostly use it for HT.

I can't comment how they will sound together but you can always adjust the Gain/Trim to level match your front 3 speakers.
post #3087 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. RC-35 is better center overall and better match to the RF-35. RC-35 is dual 6.5" (msrp $399) RC-52 is dual 5.25" (msrp $299). Also if I remember correctly, the RC-35 is sealed and the rc-52 is ported. RC-35 was replaced by rc-62.

Fwiw, I feel this is probably the correct recommendation but the RC-35 is front ported. ;-)
post #3088 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Fwiw, I feel this is probably the correct recommendation but the RC-35 is front ported. ;-)

You're correct. It was the RC-3 and RC-7 that were sealed.
post #3089 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're correct. It was the RC-3 and RC-7 that were sealed.

...And sir you are 1/2 correct. ;-) The RC-3 was sealed and the RC-7 is rear-ported.
post #3090 of 37492 Old 05-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And sir you are 1/2 correct. ;-) The RC-3 was sealed and the RC-7 is rear-ported.

hmmm... appears you are correct again. That's kinda sad considering I have owned both. Oh well.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page