post #3361 of 40534 Old 06-27-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow View Post

The Quintet IIIs are a step above any HTIB system that I've heard, but I would skip the Klipsch Sub-10...

I don't disagree. My comment on the previous page was contrasting the money he was spending on Picture Quality compared to what he had allotting for Sound...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 40534 Old 06-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztkp01 View Post

Help me understand... Klipsch and BB change the models for a pair of speakers jump in price from $1,000 to $2,500 and I'm supposed to be impressed - how?

There are going to be differenceces between the two. First, truthfully, I was a little surprised to see speakers in the Reference series start to make their way to BB, Magnolia, etc. In the past, these speakers have only been available through specialty audio sources and distributors. At one time, the only Klipsch speakers that you could find at BB, Magnolia, etc, were the entry level variety, (Synergy line, Quintets, Multimedia, etc). The XF-48 is meant to be a flat panel type, small footprint model. The fundamental technology to make it work will require it to be self powered/amplified, (which the RF series is not), and include other electronic means needed to make a small footprint speaker perform like their larger brethren. That drives up the cost. I will venture to say that it will not be for everyone, specially folks that enjoy the sound of larger drivers in larger cabinets.

On another subject, the term "dynamics" does not refer to a speaker's implied ability to play "loud". It refers to a speaker's ability to transition to and from different sound pressure levels quickly and effortlessly. Think of it as the speaker's ability to deal with sudden changes in sound pressure levels effortlessly, not only upwards, but downwards as well without losing it's definition.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
post #3363 of 40534 Old 06-28-2008, 11:56 AM

Liked: 10
I am looking from some advice. I am moving into a home that is pre-wired for 6.1 in ceiling. The room size is 15X14. I have resisted using the in ceiling as speakers for my home theater set up, but my wife really likes the aesthetic look of not having visible speakers and wires all over the place. I currently have been using Polk RM-6750 speakers that give decent sound in our smaller living room set up now.

My preference of course is to go with a regular ear level set up, but I am trying to find a happy medium where I have agreed to go with a 5.1 setup using 2 front in ceiling and 2 rear in ceiling and I will use a regular center channel speaker below my tv hidden in the cabinet.

I am thinking about using klipsch cdt-5650 for my in ceiling fronts and cdt-3650 for my 2 in ceiling rears. I want don't want to go too expensive for my center and would rather stay with in the $250-325 range. I am leaning towards the RC-52 and wanted to know if that is a good choice within that price range or is there something else that is comparable or better at that price point. Since I am not an expert on speakers I am still undecided as to what subwoofer to go with that doesn't break the bank. I guess I could use the 8" sub that I have currently until I find another one.

By the way my receiver is a yamaha rx-v663 and my tv is a panny 42pz700u. Would this set up still give me good sound and power with this set up. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
post #3364 of 40534 Old 06-28-2008, 04:59 PM

I just got a pair of the RF 82's -- on Friday - was excited and then when the delivery guy opened the second box - it was damaged on the bottom - the foot rest etc. - so i wont get the second speaker till tuesday or wed. latest - but today i couldnt wait and had to hear it -

i am using a marantz 7002 - i disconnected the speaker wire from the 7002 just in case - and just left the one speaker plugged in - i have the speaker angled a bit in - and about 6 inches from the wall - which is the best i can do with the space i have and its perfect for my setup - Glad i didnt get the 83's because of the space issue or else - it would have been the 83's - i heard those and love them - but too deep for my place

ok - so i loved the look - loved the grill - how easy it comes off and on - - the finish isnt bad at all - i was expecting a little worse to be honest - but its very nice -

i was using an old set - 15 years old Klipsch KG3's - and they were very good with the marantz - wasnt sure what to expect with the 82's --

i was worried about lack of bass at first - but was i wrong

i have just one 82 running in direct mode - and its kicking - i mean it sounds deeper - better than with both KG3's -

i was impressed -- very happy with this purchase - and for the price -

the bass is deep - full and clean highs - all and who ever says that the Klipsch are too bright ??? -- these are not bright at all - maybe its because of the marantz - i dont know - but i played it at 0db - and it was loud - with just one speaker - no sub -- i cant wait to get the other one now -

i just played a few songs - from Rush - needed to hear the drums

this is hooked up normally -- i want to see how bi-amp sounds in the future - but first i want to get used to them normally first so i can see if i hear the difference or feel it

ok one thing i did realize now - and it maybe because i only have one speaker running -

i noticed that maybe i need more power to bring them alive more - because like i said - i was running them at 0db - and it was great - but i felt the speaker wasnt even sweating -
it felt as if it really could use more power - but this may change once i run them both at once - --

with the KG3's - the power from the 7002 was a good match

but with the 82's - so far - it seems as if the 7002 can run out of juice way before the speaker -- i need to listen more with both of them - hopefully next week -

i may get a amp just for the 82's if i find myself at 0db all time and the need for more -- i feel if you push the 7002 over the 0db - you may be running into distortion - - i want to keep it clean - i am looking at the emotiva amps --

but want to give the 7002 a chance first - then bi-amp and see if that helps or makes it more satisfying - and last case - the 2 channel emotiva

no regrets with the 82's -- they are rock solid - love them already -
post #3365 of 40534 Old 06-28-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations exresso712. That is one sweet review and I can't help but think how happy you are going to be when you get your other speaker in...Heck, you may not even need it.
post #3366 of 40534 Old 06-28-2008, 07:26 PM

Hi everyone...

I finally have the time and the money to upgrade my theater. Currently I have B&W CDM2's for the fronts, CC6 center, rocksolids for rears and AS6 sub all bought in the heydey of 1996. I plan to upgrade to the following:

RF-83 fronts
RC-64 Center
RS-62 Sides
SVS PC13-Ultra

It will be driven by my Yammy 2700.

My question is the rear surrounds. What would be the best match? I have been reading about using floor standers for the rears. What do you think about using RF-82s for the rears?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ron II
post #3367 of 40534 Old 06-28-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Congratulations exresso712. That is one sweet review and I can't help but think how happy you are going to be when you get your other speaker in...Heck, you may not even need it.

thanks - they are a great speaker - a few months back - i was thinking of trying a new brand - just because i had Klipsch my whole life - figure i give a new brand a shot - i was thinking of the B&W 683 -- - i never did get to hear them - hard to find dealers who stock the models you want - anyway - i was thinking of Polks also - the new line - but something about Klipsch - i just cant find myself without them - i guess i will never own a different brand --

would you know how to clean them ? i know a dry cloth - but if you get fingerprints on them etc. - i dont want to ruin the finish - by using the wrong sprays -

oh by the way - if i am not mistaken - on the box that the speaker came in - i seen it say something to the tune of made in the USA factory ? how can i know where this speaker was made -- i know and i heard that its made in China - but on the packing box - it dosnt say made in china -- i will double check that tomorrow - just curious - not that it matters to me - as long as the quality is there - i know my KG3's are made in Hope

anyone who owns the 82's - what are you using to clean them with - ? since these are not real wood sort of speak - they have a vinyl cover i think - it seems like real wood and sounds like it too -

whats everyone using to clean theres speakers ??

thanks
post #3368 of 40534 Old 06-28-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron II View Post

Hi everyone...

I finally have the time and the money to upgrade my theater. Currently I have B&W CDM2's for the fronts, CC6 center, rocksolids for rears and AS6 sub all bought in the heydey of 1996. I plan to upgrade to the following:

RF-83 fronts
RC-64 Center
RS-62 Sides
SVS PC13-Ultra

It will be driven by my Yammy 2700.

My question is the rear surrounds. What would be the best match? I have been reading about using floor standers for the rears. What do you think about using RF-82s for the rears?

Ron II

nice - you are going to love those 83's -- i wanted them but had to get teh 82's because of depth space - limited -

and i feel in love with the 82's now - i heard the 83's and it was a big difference - alot better than the 82's - its amazing how you can listen to one model and love it - then hear the 83's and notice the difference right away - you think to yourself - how can that be - its that good

get the 83's if you can - for fronts - if you have that much space and fit the 82's in the rear - that would amazing
post #3369 of 40534 Old 06-28-2008, 09:01 PM

One last item.....

What stand is recommended for the rc-64. I have a Sony 70xbr2 sitting on a BDI Deploy Max stand to give you sense of height.

In addition I need sturdy stands for the rs-62. One side of my room does not have a wall so I am unable to mount the side speakers.

Looking forward to your responses.

Ron II
post #3370 of 40534 Old 06-28-2008, 09:15 PM

I currently have a Klipsch 5.1 setup and would like to extend this to 7.1 but live in an apartment setup at this time. What would be the optimal distance from the couch to the rear speakers? Currnetly my couch is against the wall and would have to play with placing it to get more than an 1"+ away from the couch and of course would have to be above my head.
post #3371 of 40534 Old 06-28-2008, 09:49 PM

Just to clarify, the Klipsch price increase is an AVERAGE of 5%. Actual increases will vary from 4 to 6%.

The RF line is NOT being discontinued anytime in the near future. Its good for at least a year and there are NO talks to discontinue at this time nor any plans to do it in a year. It will be looked at again in about a year.

Straight from my Klipsch rep last month. Sorry for not posting earlier, been busy, LOL. Glad to be back.
post #3372 of 40534 Old 06-29-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredneckbud View Post

Just to clarify, the Klipsch price increase is an AVERAGE of 5%. Actual increases will vary from 4 to 6%.

The RF line is NOT being discontinued anytime in the near future. Its good for at least a year and there are NO talks to discontinue at this time nor any plans to do it in a year. It will be looked at again in about a year.

Straight from my Klipsch rep last month. Sorry for not posting earlier, been busy, LOL. Glad to be back.

Well the Reference series is getting pulled from BB and Magnolia It will be replaced by the Icon line up... Which for 1250 a pair, Im far from being impressed! We will be getting a non powered version that is a cabinet style version but that is all i know for now.

So if you want those Reference's from BB get them now or ask to buy the display speakers for a big discount!

Martin Logan is also sending us the new montage speaker (non electrostatic) If it sounds as good as the other it will be awesome!

Also we started getting the Polk line up....
post #3373 of 40534 Old 06-29-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC_Bryan View Post

Well the Reference series is getting pulled from BB and Magnolia It will be replaced by the Icon line up... Which for 1250 a pair, Im far from being impressed! We will be getting a non powered version that is a cabinet style version but that is all i know for now.

So if you want those Reference's from BB get them now or ask to buy the display speakers for a big discount!

Martin Logan is also sending us the new montage speaker (non electrostatic) If it sounds as good as the other it will be awesome!

i think thats actually good for Klipsch - BB never did them justice - they never recommend them - dont set them up correctly and they sounded like crap last time i was there -
and the salesman told me that they are the worst speaker -
i just listen to him as if i didnt know anything - then he tried to sell me the Def Tech --

they are not knowledgeable at all at BB - or CC etc. -- but i read that CC will be selling them very soon - not sure which lines -
post #3374 of 40534 Old 06-29-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi everyone...

...It will be driven by my Yammy 2700.

Ron II

Hi Ron,

The Yamaha 2700 may be good in a small room with your crossover set to 80 Hz and with smaller surround speakers.

Imo, if you go for a lower crossover (and with the RF-83/64 why not ) and/or running towers as surrounds you will want at least an THX Ultra II certified AVR (or comparable) to handle the impedance dips that the larger Klipsch Reference apparently have. Another consideration would be to us Separates (i.e., or use an AVR w/separate amp).

Then again you appear to have the lower end covered and a crossover of 80 Hz may sound Excellent.... My 2 cents.
post #3375 of 40534 Old 06-29-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

thanks -...would you know how to clean them ? i know a dry cloth - but if you get fingerprints on them etc. - i dont want to ruin the finish - by using the wrong sprays -

oh by the way - if i am not mistaken - on the box that the speaker came in - i seen it say something to the tune of made in the USA factory ?

I would use a slightly damp cloth to clean your speaker's Finish (dry immediately) and only when they get fingerprints....I use a Swiffer Duster for everything else. Someone else may give you better advice.

I am not sure where the RF-82 were made (More than likely China and possibly assembled in Mexico) but they were not made in Hope, Arkansas.
post #3376 of 40534 Old 06-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would use a slightly damp cloth to clean your speaker's Finish (dry immediately) and only when they get fingerprints....I use a Swiffer Duster for everything else. Someone else may give you better advice.

I am not sure where the RF-82 were made (More than likely China and possibly assembled in Mexico) but they were not made in Hope, Arkansas.

The RF-82 are made in China to Klipsch specs.

post #3377 of 40534 Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think that Klipsch is simply restructuring their marketing and distribution closer to what it used to be. The Reference line was really never meant to be offered through BB, CC, or Magnolia. The entry level, (Synergy, Quintets, Multimedia), lines are the ones that they normally offer through the commercial chain stores. I seriously doubt that we will see the Reference line go away any time in the near or intermediate future. They fill a very significant commercial niche, but it is more likely that the Reference line will only be available, once again, through authorized boutique dealers and specialized authorized installers like they use to be. The new entry line replacing the Synergy line will likely fill the the marketing sector occupied by BB, CC, and Magnolia.

post #3378 of 40534 Old 06-29-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Is there anyone who actually knows for certain that the Ref line is being pulled from MHT?
Because it seems rather odd for the Ref to be discontinued after only recently having Cherry finishes added, as well the RC-62.
Perhaps Klipsch will be expanding the Ref line, including the larger speakers, 63 & 83s, similarly to how they expanded their online presence such as crutchfield.
Best Regards
KvE

PS If the Ref are going the way of the dodo I need to place an order for another pair or two of 82s very soon.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #3379 of 40534 Old 06-29-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post

I think that Klipsch is simply restructuring their marketing and distribution closer to what it used to be. The Reference line was really never meant to be offered through BB, CC, or Magnolia...

Fwiw, the Reference line's largest distributor previously was the same one as it's original Synergy was sold through and that was what became Tweeter. Then it appeared that Klipsch worked a deal with Bestbuy to sell Synergy and somewhere in the negotiations Klipsch decided to take Reference (and Synergy) out of Tweeter and go with Ultimate Electronics (I have my speculations why) to sell their Reference Line.

Unfortunately because of over-expansion at a critical time (9/11/2001) as well as bad Management Ultimate Electronics went belly up and so did Klipsch's largest Reference dealer. I mentioned to someone in upper management that I thought it would be great to see Klipsch Reference in the new Magnolia Stores i saw opening up and was told "It would never happen."

Klipsch has always sold their upper end models in boutique stores and they haven't always been called "Reference." Before that they had the Legend series and prior to that I don't remember them actually being categorized. I think the need to go to Home Installers came with the demise of Ultimate Electronics.

I also don't think they will be doing away with Reference immediately, but with various new lines opening up with the same potential market, as well as Klipsch becoming a major Speaker Conglomerate (they now own several big name speaker companies) I can imagine vendors are going to allow them only so much space and I wouldn't count on everything being in stock.

Those are my thoughts...
post #3380 of 40534 Old 06-29-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:

thanks - i figure its made in China - but it ships from there factory here in Hope - thats what the shipping says - from Hope factory here to J&R music world -- thats where i got them from

this is whats written on the packing box - but dosnt matter really to me - more important is how to keep them clean

i will try using just a dry cloth if i can at all time - but you know how that goes - you always get a fingerprint here and there on it -
post #3381 of 40534 Old 06-29-2008, 08:59 PM

I `am buying a sub, I have the RC-52 and the RF 52`s looking in the $400.00 to $500.00 range. Recommendations would be most appreciated. I have a 5.1 system using small Mirage satellites for the rear and a small Mirage sub.

Western Canada
post #3382 of 40534 Old 06-29-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Is there anyone who actually knows for certain that the Ref line is being pulled from MHT?
Because it seems rather odd for the Ref to be discontinued after only recently having Cherry finishes added, as well the RC-62.
Perhaps Klipsch will be expanding the Ref line, including the larger speakers, 63 & 83s, similarly to how they expanded their online presence such as crutchfield.
Best Regards
KvE

PS If the Ref are going the way of the dodo I need to place an order for another pair or two of 82s very soon.

Ok I am telling you guys plain and simple we are Getting rid of the Reference and synergy lines and we are picking up the Icon (which we have now) and the W series line. Thats it easy as that. I work for BB Magnolia and we have sold off almost all of our Reference line speakers in the demo room when they are all gone they will be replace with the W series.

And not all of us are dumb when it comes to speakers... alot of people sell from there own beliefs... Also I doubt CC will be getting any klipsch, there goal is to be 100% all internet from what I have been told by there marketing guys...

Also we just got the new pioneer Elite AVS receiver!!!
post #3383 of 40534 Old 06-30-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I just read on the Klipsch Forum that a Klipsch Authorized Dealer still has RF-7s and RC-7 and appear to be giving them away. I have no connection to the seller but if true would be a no-brainier for someone looking for an Awesome Front Sound stage.

{MAJOR EDIT: I took out the link because the OP didn't disclose in his first post that the speakers were DAMAGED and were missing parts.}
post #3384 of 40534 Old 06-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Hi Ron,

The Yamaha 2700 may be good in a small room with your crossover set to 80 Hz and with smaller surround speakers.

Imo, if you go for a lower crossover (and with the RF-83/64 why not ) and/or running towers as surrounds you will want at least an THX Ultra II certified AVR (or comparable) to handle the impedance dips that the larger Klipsch Reference apparently have. Another consideration would be to us Separates (i.e., or use an AVR w/separate amp).

Then again you appear to have the lower end covered and a crossover of 80 Hz may sound Excellent.... My 2 cents.

Your 2 cents are worth more than that my friend and I appreciate your response. I have considered getting a separate amp because I hear the 83's love the power! However, I have not researched any as of yet. Do you have any recommendations along those lines?

What stands are good for the RC 64 and the RS62?

Ron II
post #3385 of 40534 Old 06-30-2008, 02:21 PM

Hey guys please give me some suggestions !!!!! I am sort of not sure which direction to go, Klipsch or not to Klipsch that is the question.

Western Canada
post #3386 of 40534 Old 06-30-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caanda45 View Post

Hey guys please give me some suggestions !!!!! I am sort of not sure which direction to go, Klipsch or not to Klipsch that is the question.

Wow
post #3387 of 40534 Old 06-30-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Wow

Well it is about the sub only as it does not matter if it is timber matched at all. I am committed and love my reference speakers.

Western Canada
post #3388 of 40534 Old 07-01-2008, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Well it is about the sub only as it does not matter if it is timber matched at all. I am committed and love my reference speakers.

FWIW, I have an all Klipsch HT setup and have been using dual SVS 20-39's for quite some time. They match very well with the reference line.

I've never auditioned them myself, but others have found that Hsu subs also are a good match.
post #3389 of 40534 Old 07-01-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:

Klipsch - go Klipsch
post #3390 of 40534 Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Your 2 cents are worth more than that my friend and I appreciate your response. I have considered getting a separate amp because I hear the 83's love the power! However, I have not researched any as of yet. Do you have any recommendations along those lines?

What stands are good for the RC 64 and the RS62?

Ron II

The Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Seven is an awesome Amp!

7 channels, all driven continuously at 328 wpc at 8 ohms.

See profile for my equipment.

http://www.earthquakesound.com/cng_7.htm

More Afraid of Liberals than Terrorists.
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page