Forum Jump: 

post #33931 of 37449 Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

I wanted to share with the group the deal got on craigslist. I picked up a pair of RB-81II for $300.00 with the original boxes and they sound great. They are replacing a pair of RB-61II. Here are a couple of pictures.

Dude Cherry is gorgeous! I hate that my speakers are black... mad.gif
malmstump likes this.

Main HT Setup
Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Klipsch RF-3 (FL&FR)
Klipsch RP-3 (FWL&FWR)
Klipsch RC-3 (CENTER)
Klipsch RS-3 (SL&SR)
Bang & Olufsen Beogram TX
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
(Yamaha DVD-S1700 now removed)
XBOX-360
XBOX-ONE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33932 of 37449 Old 03-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTheKid View Post

Dude Cherry is gorgeous! I hate that my speakers are black... mad.gif

I couldn't believe it when I saw them on Craigslist. Next up is to find an upgrade to my Center channel which is a RC-42II.
ChrisTheKid likes this.
post #33933 of 37449 Old 03-16-2014, 08:30 PM

Liked: 54

I was on CL and saw a pair of RF-15s for $250.

Also saw a pair of RF-35s for $325.

what do you guys think about these?  I am a newbie.. I am setting up my FIRST home theater.. to use for music and movies.  I already have an SW-8 sub.  I will use my "old" SW-8 for the time being but will eventually upgrade my sub.

I am going to add a receiver and floor staining speakers.. I will add a center soon too.

i'm going for bang for the buck.  i know very little.

as to the above two deals - assuming they are both in good shape - what is better?  

post #33934 of 37449 Old 03-16-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post

what do you guys think about these?  I am a newbie.. I am setting up my FIRST home theater.. to use for music and movies.  I already have an SW-8 sub.  I will use my "old" SW-8 for the time being but will eventually upgrade my sub.

I am going to add a receiver and floor staining speakers.. I will add a center soon too.

as to the above two deals - assuming they are both in good shape - what is better?  

Just from looking at the specs pages on Klipsch.com the RF-35s are much larger speakers. Two 8" drivers and 6" horn on 1" tweeter. The RF-15 are much smaller they have two 5.25" drivers and 5" horn 1" tweeter. Both sound like great deals

Main HT Setup
Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Klipsch RF-3 (FL&FR)
Klipsch RP-3 (FWL&FWR)
Klipsch RC-3 (CENTER)
Klipsch RS-3 (SL&SR)
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
XBOX-360
XBOX-ONE
post #33935 of 37449 Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 PM

Liked: 54

thanks.

i'm on a budget...and right now I have NO speakers. I have a nice panasonic 58" tv and a Klispch SW-8 sub... right now when I watch movies i literally am using the built in tv speakers..and the sub. it sucks.

any floor standing or bookshelf speaker would be a mega improvement over what I have now...

i really can't spend a ton of money and buy really high end stuff.. but I can drop a few hundred here/there on speakers... and get used stuff on CL..   a used set of nice Klipsch speakers..which maybe not as good as the new lines of stuff..would still probably blow me away... and if I love them..and eventually want to upgrade.. i can make my "mains" become the rear surrounds and then add expensive ones later.

like if I bought RF-15 or RF-35 use speakers.... used them as my mains..a nd I got really into it and decide I wanted RF-82s or RF-7s. or something nuts.. I could go buy those for fronts...and move the smaller RF-15 / RF-35s to my rear surrounds.. i figure if I had a nice sy ten with enough power..those floor standing speakers that were met fronts could eventually work nicely as surrounded????  or not??

i'm trying to figure what is the best bang for the buck.

a new set of RF-52 is like $700-800. a set of RF-62s are like $1000.

if I could score a set of RF-15s for $250..which are basically ano oder model of the Rf-52... to my newbie ears they might just sounds awesome and I saved $500.. which I could use to grab a decent center speaker.... ;)

what do you guys think?

post #33936 of 37449 Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 PM

Liked: 36
I bought a pair of rf-82 cherry opened box from Crutchfield for 850 bucks, free shipping and no tax. Full factory warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
post #33937 of 37449 Old 03-16-2014, 09:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

If you have to choose between the two, definitely get the RF-35's. The matching center is RC-35.

I have seen the RF-35's used for a bit less, you can always make an offer if you're happy with the condition.
post #33938 of 37449 Old 03-16-2014, 11:56 PM

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

Interesting . . . you have the RC3II center between RF7IIs and the center keeps up? Are you having to severely level down your RF7s to level match with the RC3?
Yeah, it actually does. I keep it kicked up 3dB in my AVR, which seems to compensate perfectly. And I don't ever worry about it clipping or distorting, because I never get even close to "reference" volume. Keep in mind that my living room is only about 19x15x8, and that I generally listen at -18. In that room, -15 is quite loud. And while I do enjoy the concert DVDs I own, and I love films done in 5.1... again... 80% of the time it's on, my system is in 2.1-channel "serious-listening", music-only mode.

The thing is... since 90% of the music I listen to is either jazz or classical, I prefer to listen at volume levels that make it sound as though the band or orchestral group is sitting right in front of me (which, of course, is the reason for having the RF-7 IIs in the first place). Those listening-levels are nowhere near as loud as what many posters on here seem to think is "necessary", however... even when I'm listening to Zeppelin... or Floyd... or Johnny Winter... or Taylor Swift. eek.gif

Obviously, if I wanted to, I could easily rattle things off shelves and break windows. But I fail to see the point.

Getting back to the point, though... my original 5.1 all-Klipsch system had SF-2s for fronts, and a little SC-1 for a center. When I substituted SF-3s as fronts, it was obvious that the SC-1 wasn't keeping up, so I bought the RC-3 II. And as everyone agrees, that made a huge difference. Then last fall, I stumbled on the "deal of a lifetime" for the RF-7 IIs, and I couldn't pass it up. And having read what everyone says about RF-7 IIs "needing" an RC-64 II, I figured I'd probably have to spring for one, eventually.

But in my case... it turns out not to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoJo View Post

For music listening, you would be a lot better off buying a good second sub -- preferably the same as the other sub -- and place them in the middle of both sidewalls. IMHO, it makes way more difference in sound than it would with buying a bigger center.
Well... placement of subs (one, two, or...) is completely room-dependent, so while "the middle of both sidewalls" might work for some... I don't think it's really universally applicable.

And even the addition of a second sub isn't necessarily a "must" in all cases. Right now, I get really good low-bass coverage all around my MLP, using one SVS SB12. So while I understand that in theory, a second one would give me more bass, and would perhaps make for a smoother low-bass overall room response... I'm not completely convinced that for me, adding a second SB12 would be worth the expense.

Also... I'm just not a "bass-head".

While I love "Batman Returns" and "Thor" and "How To Train Your Dragon" and the like, and I enjoy deep, ominous rumblings and floor-shaking explosions as much as anyone... no review of any film that I like is going to include the phrase "Awesome LFEs". I love film as a story-telling medium, not as a vehicle to demonstrate my subwoofer.

If a film has an amazing soundtrack and sound-effects that make an integral contribution to the content of the story, and can cause me to believe that what I'm seeing and hearing is "real"... I'm the first to applaud.

But for me, soundtracks and sound effects cover the entire auditory spectrum equally. To me, placing more emphasis on a film's LFEs than on any of the rest of its auditory content seems ever-so-slightly mis-placed... if not downright inane.

And from a musical standpoint... I have a fairly esoteric collection, but as I said above, the vast majority of what I listen to is jazz and classical... with some "popular" thrown in when I'm cleaning my house. But none of the music I care about is especially "bass-centric". As with film -- for me --- no singular part of the musical auditory spectrum is more important than any other.

So... a second SVS SB12 could be the final, finishing touch.

And maybe I'll end up with one, this fall.

But also... maybe never. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by stflush View Post

What about a B stock RC-64 II for $765 shipped? Use coupon code tv15 after you add it to your cart to get that price.

Sorry, I'm doing the opposite of helping. smile.gif
Thanks for the tip. That's really an amazing price.

But... nah. As you can see... I really don't need it. The "used" RC-3 II I bought (for $250) had never actually been used. I don't think it had ever even been out of its box. And it really is working beautifully for me. So at this point, the only way I'd consider replacing it with an RC-64 II is if I find a fully warrantied "new in open-box" one... for $250. wink.gif
post #33939 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

this is true, I got my center channel from him and he WAY undercut his ebay price and eh let me go pick it up in person since I am local. his place is huge and is stocked to the rafters with product.
I was quoted 1800 otd for rf7ii's and cash.

I saw one from sound_distributors (ebay and also from Las Vegas), new, free shipping, for $450. Is that the guy I should call?
post #33940 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:

thanks.

i'm on a budget...and right now I have NO speakers. I have a nice panasonic 58" tv and a Klispch SW-8 sub... right now when I watch movies i literally am using the built in tv speakers..and the sub. it sucks.

any floor standing or bookshelf speaker would be a mega improvement over what I have now...

i really can't spend a ton of money and buy really high end stuff.. but I can drop a few hundred here/there on speakers... and get used stuff on CL..   a used set of nice Klipsch speakers..which maybe not as good as the new lines of stuff..would still probably blow me away... and if I love them..and eventually want to upgrade.. i can make my "mains" become the rear surrounds and then add expensive ones later.

like if I bought RF-15 or RF-35 use speakers.... used them as my mains..a nd I got really into it and decide I wanted RF-82s or RF-7s. or something nuts.. I could go buy those for fronts...and move the smaller RF-15 / RF-35s to my rear surrounds.. i figure if I had a nice sy ten with enough power..those floor standing speakers that were met fronts could eventually work nicely as surrounded????  or not??

if I could score a set of RF-15s for $250..which are basically ano oder model of the Rf-52... to my newbie ears they might just sounds awesome and I saved $500.. which I could use to grab a decent center speaker.... wink.gif

what do you guys think?
Rf35s are basically older models of which the rf82ii are the latest incarnation. (I think). I was looking at even older rf3, same twin 8" woofer and 6"? horn with 1" tweeter, but passed as they were too expensive. If you have the cash and you had to choose, I say rf35 definately. Even those 2 speakers on an amp/receiver will be a decent setup.
post #33941 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by B 26354 View Post

Quote:

Interesting . . . you have the RC3II center between RF7IIs and the center keeps up? Are you having to severely level down your RF7s to level match with the RC3?
Yeah, it actually does. I keep it kicked up 3dB in my AVR, which seems to compensate perfectly. And I don't ever worry about it clipping or distorting, because I never get even close to "reference" volume. Keep in mind that my living room is only about 19x15x8, and that I generally listen at -18. In that room, -15 is quite loud. And while I do enjoy the concert DVDs I own, and I love films done in 5.1... again... 80% of the time it's on, my system is in 2.1-channel "serious-listening", music-only mode.

The thing is... since 90% of the music I listen to is either jazz or classical, I prefer to listen at volume levels that make it sound as though the band or orchestral group is sitting right in front of me (which, of course, is the reason for having the RF-7 IIs in the first place). Those listening-levels are nowhere near as loud as what many posters on here seem to think is "necessary", however... even when I'm listening to Zeppelin... or Floyd... or Johnny Winter... or Taylor Swift. eek.gif

Obviously, if I wanted to, I could easily rattle things off shelves and break windows. But I fail to see the point.

Getting back to the point, though... my original 5.1 all-Klipsch system had SF-2s for fronts, and a little SC-1 for a center. When I substituted SF-3s as fronts, it was obvious that the SC-1 wasn't keeping up, so I bought the RC-3 II. And as everyone agrees, that made a huge difference. Then last fall, I stumbled on the "deal of a lifetime" for the RF-7 IIs, and I couldn't pass it up. And having read what everyone says about RF-7 IIs "needing" an RC-64 II, I figured I'd probably have to spring for one, eventually.

But in my case... it turns out not to be true.

Quote:

For music listening, you would be a lot better off buying a good second sub -- preferably the same as the other sub -- and place them in the middle of both sidewalls. IMHO, it makes way more difference in sound than it would with buying a bigger center.
Well... placement of subs (one, two, or...) is completely room-dependent, so while "the middle of both sidewalls" might work for some... I don't think it's really universally applicable.

And even the addition of a second sub isn't necessarily a "must" in all cases. Right now, I get really good low-bass coverage all around my MLP, using one SVS SB12. So while I understand that in theory, a second one would give me more bass, and would perhaps make for a smoother low-bass overall room response... I'm not completely convinced that for me, adding a second SB12 would be worth the expense.

While I love "Batman Returns" and "Thor" and "How To Train Your Dragon" and the like, and I enjoy deep, ominous rumblings and floor-shaking explosions as much as anyone... no review of any film that I like is going to include the phrase "Awesome LFEs". I love film as a story-telling medium, not as a vehicle to demonstrate my subwoofer.

If a film has an amazing soundtrack and sound-effects that make an integral contribution to the content of the story, and can cause me to believe that what I'm seeing and hearing is "real"... I'm the first to applaud.

But for me, soundtracks and sound effects cover the entire auditory spectrum equally. To me, placing more emphasis on a film's LFEs than on any of the rest of its auditory content seems ever-so-slightly mis-placed... if not downright inane.

And from a musical standpoint... I have a fairly esoteric collection, but as I said above, the vast majority of what I listen to is jazz and classical... with some "popular" thrown in when I'm cleaning my house. But none of the music I care about is especially "bass-centric". As with film -- for me --- no singular part of the musical auditory spectrum is more important than any other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stflush View Post

What about a B stock RC-64 II for $765 shipped? Use coupon code tv15 after you add it to your cart to get that price.

Sorry, I'm doing the opposite of helping. smile.gif
Thanks for the tip. That's really an amazing price.

But... nah. As you can see... I really don't need it. The "used" RC-3 II I bought (for $250) had never actually been used. I don't think it had ever even been out of its box. And it really is working beautifully for me. So at this point, the only way I'd consider replacing it with an RC-64 II is if I find a fully warrantied "new in open-box" one... for $250. wink.gif

Glad it is working for you.

Are you running your R7s as "large" in your setup for movies, to get that extra bass with just one sub? I do that with my K-horns on only one sub and it works great.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by! --Douglas Adams
post #33942 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:

thanks.

if I could score a set of RF-15s for $250..which are basically ano oder model of the Rf-52... to my newbie ears they might just sounds awesome and I saved $500.. which I could use to grab a decent center speaker.... wink.gif

what do you guys think?

The difference in sound between the 15 and 35 would be night and day. I would get the 35. If you can afford both do it. Then all you'll need is a center.

Main HT Setup
Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Klipsch RF-3 (FL&FR)
Klipsch RP-3 (FWL&FWR)
Klipsch RC-3 (CENTER)
Klipsch RS-3 (SL&SR)
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
XBOX-360
XBOX-ONE
post #33943 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by B 26354 View PostQuote:

well i have to agree with you , im most of the time listening to good music and i like it flat as possible and convincing like u say. as if u where there in the middle of it all. most movies suck at the soundtrack and to me it sounds not in place. there are some movies that do a excellent job on the other hand and there is this thing also that DTS bluray tracks are cut-off at 25hz it seems. adding a second sub for a good listening experience is to me that it makes a more solid bass on low volume, that it fills the room adequate. like if you have RF-62 in ur room and on a point decide that u gonna take the RF-7 it makes a real difference in the lower frequencies at low volume and the music especially jazz get a better foundation and sound more acurate. so a second sub would just fill that room with better and tighter bass. it does only add about 3dB in most setups so if one wants to add it for extra loudness it wouldn't give much extra. i have a big room and compared to the sony speakers i had, this RF-82 has a lot more authority and certain frequency range in the sound are more present now at low volume. i think if your one SVS SB12 gives enough roompresure and ur room graphs look good, you don't need a second sub. if the room graphs on the lower frequency range are not flat enough then it would be a very good addition to the soundquality to put a extra sub in. the placement is overall best when they both are put in the middle of a opposite wall, but ur right it sometimes cannot be done and then the're other options on placement, it would suffer however on the roomflatting and takes a lot of trying out and replacing the subs. so to me in the end it would be more about low-volume level room-flattening then it would be for giving more bass, as it does give plenty of that on loud levels. i think you can return it to svs if it doesn't give the results you expect from it, but i would give it at least a try. im too a fan of story-telling and i like to listen to soundtracks that add to and fit in with the movie for a more life-like experience. and jazz for that matter. also like classic and electronic music. so the flatter the response the better. i can allways turn some knobs to adjust it to taste, but i hardly will.

Klipsch RF-82-II 150W 33Hz-24KHz

Klipsch RC-64-II 200W 59Hz-24KHz

Klipsch RS-62-II 150W 50Hz-24KHz

Yamaha YST-SW800/1500 Subwoofers 1000W RMS 6 Ohm 18-170 hz

Yamaha RX-463 Amp 5x100W RMS

Monitor flatline 1.5mm pro wire

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #33944 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

somehow i still can't let go of the idea that i should maybe have bought this RF-83 instead of the RF-82II :rolleyes:

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #33945 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Go for it!!!

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!
post #33946 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

hahaha yeah i would, but back when i bought my RF-82II i could buy them 83 for 600€ new. now they are 1000€ each. its not that i dont like my 82's , its just that these 83 look more impressive. i heard both and there wasn't that much of a difference between them. i choose the 82II coz they where new model and sound less overbass-ed then the 83 and the highs where a little more clear on the 82II and the 83 was a show-model:p 

edit:

to explain a bit more.. i heard dire straits sacd on this system in munchen germany, which got me into the horn speaker thing in the first place. its a GIP Laboratory 9700A speaker with 112dB sensitivity for only $200,000 it was a little bit out of my budget :\ . i still have to hear a better speaker then this.. its like u there at the concert and if u close ur eyes you swear you where standing in front of mark knopfler himself on the stage. i just got what my money could buy and did come the closest to this and it was this RF-82II (if i could afford the RF-7II or a la scala, i would've taken it no doubt):rolleyes:

malmstump likes this.

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #33947 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

You won't be able to let go, until you buy them!

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!
post #33948 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah i know , i know.. but i have to sell my 82II and wait for them to show up in the showroommodel sales. that could be taking a long time. i rather go for the RF-7II then or pray that someone sells his la scala's :rolleyes:

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #33949 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd be down on my knees, praying for someone to sell their La Scalas!
DaJoJo likes this.

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!
post #33950 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 08:49 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melquiades View Post

I'm selling my 2 sw112s to put towards a new sub. I wanted to see if y'all thought the svs pb13 ultra is worth selling my soul for, or should I go with the hsu VTF-15H, or is there another sub you all like to pair with klipsch speakers?

The VTF-15H works great for me. Excellent value and first class customer service.
malmstump and Melquiades like this.

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #33951 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Killer deal alert. Someone in Wyoming is selling a RC-64, pair of RF-83s and pair of RS-62s for only $1,100. I would to have the RF-83 for wides but can't get ahold of the person. It's posted on Craig's list.

RC-64 Center, RF-7 Fronts, RF-82 Sides, RW-12D, QTY=2, RSW-15, RS-52ii Rears, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Panasonic 65VT60, 65"
post #33952 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 11:34 AM

Liked: 22
I'm in a quandary. I just recently bought a pair of RF82's. I have an RC-3 center channel. But have been looking for Klipsch surrounds to replace my Carver surrounds. In my searching, I stumbled across a guy who is selling a whole set of Klipsch. I THINK what he has are RF-7 mains. He does not remember what models they are. He bought them new 10-11 years ago. He says there are no model number labels on the speakers, which seems odd.

His set includes a pair of surrounds, a center channel, and a Klipsch sub. No idea on the model numbers for those. I was hoping he would figure out what surrounds he has, and sell just those to me, but he won't. He wants $750 for the set. Assuming I can confirm that what he has are RF-7 mains, would it be worth taking a chance on the other speakers being good quality? And how will the RF-7's (NOT II's) sound compared with my RF-82's (Ref IV RF-82)? I'd have to drive 8 hours round trip to buy the set from this fellow. And I hate driving. Would the RF-7 vs RF-82 sound be worth the difference? What do RF-7's usually sell for? I think these are probably 2003 models, and he says they are in perfect condition. Pictures are not good quality, but they do appear to be in nice shape. I assume I could sell the center for $125 and the sub for $125 and end up with $500 into a pair of RF-7's and hopefully decent surrounds. Is that a good deal (assuming excellent condition)??
post #33953 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 11:45 AM

Oh, and also, what models would be typical to have purchased in 2003/2004 for center and surrounds to go along with an RF-7??
post #33954 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 12:43 PM

man, I've ordered a pair of RF-82 II cherry and they will be here on Wednesday. Now that I saw this deal on CL locally:

"Two floor standing Klipsch WF-35 Icon Series Speakers (43"x12"x7") and one center channel speaker (18"x6.5"x7"). All speakers are like new, sound great and look amazing with the beautiful wood finish.

Condition: Open Box (never used)"

All 3 speakers for $995
post #33955 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 12:59 PM

Liked: 20
I would go for the LaScala's. I have had Heresy's since the 70's and got the LaScala's recently. You would not be disappointed. If you have the space for them. I use mine in a 10 x 10 room. Of course I do not turn them up that loud and I use them with only a 20 wpc amp.

Klipsch so much it Hz
post #33956 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 12:59 PM

I didn't think the RF-82 II's were even in the same ball park with Icon speakers.
post #33957 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:

...and there is this thing also that DTS Blu-ray tracks are cut off at 25hZ.
I think the conclusion of that discussion was that the "Master and Commander" Blu-ray was the only one that had that cutoff.

Quote:

I think if your one SVS SB12 gives enough room pressure, and your room graphs look good, you don't need a second sub. If the room graphs on the lower-frequency range are not flat enough, then it would be a very good addition to the sound quality, to put in an extra sub.
Ahhh... "room graphs".

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a UMIK-1 and downloaded REW... but haven't started using them yet, due to computer issues. A new computer arrives tomorrow... so perhaps in a month or so, I'll have something "definitive" to say, in that regard. wink.gif

One thing I'm looking forward to -- as an experiment -- is getting the whole system "dialed in" using REW and the manual EQ abilities in my Yamaha RX-A2010, and then running the Yamaha's YPAO, to see what that says. I've been using nothing but Yamaha AVRs since the mid-'70s, but I've never once tried using YPAO. Should be an interesting comparison. smile.gif
post #33958 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Glad it is working for you. Are you running your R7s as "large" in your setup for movies, to get that extra bass with just one sub? I do that with my K-horns on only one sub and it works great.
I did try that for a while. In order not to be too hasty, I gave it about a two-week "test-run"... but in my room, I didn't really like the results. Since then, I've had them on "small", with the crossover for the RF-7 IIs set at 60hZ, and everything else at 80hZ.
post #33959 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqa4life View Post

man, I've ordered a pair of RF-82 II cherry and they will be here on Wednesday. Now that I saw this deal on CL locally:

"Two floor standing Klipsch WF-35 Icon Series Speakers (43"x12"x7") and one center channel speaker (18"x6.5"x7"). All speakers are like new, sound great and look amazing with the beautiful wood finish.

Condition: Open Box (never used)"

All 3 speakers for $995

The reference will sound better.
I have both sets and prefer the more full natural sound of the reference set.
sqa4life likes this.

post #33960 of 37449 Old 03-17-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2c View Post

I'm in a quandary. I just recently bought a pair of RF82's. I have an RC-3 center channel. But have been looking for Klipsch surrounds to replace my Carver surrounds. In my searching, I stumbled across a guy who is selling a whole set of Klipsch. I THINK what he has are RF-7 mains. He does not remember what models they are. He bought them new 10-11 years ago. He says there are no model number labels on the speakers, which seems odd.

His set includes a pair of surrounds, a center channel, and a Klipsch sub. No idea on the model numbers for those. I was hoping he would figure out what surrounds he has, and sell just those to me, but he won't. He wants $750 for the set. Assuming I can confirm that what he has are RF-7 mains, would it be worth taking a chance on the other speakers being good quality? And how will the RF-7's (NOT II's) sound compared with my RF-82's (Ref IV RF-82)? I'd have to drive 8 hours round trip to buy the set from this fellow. And I hate driving. Would the RF-7 vs RF-82 sound be worth the difference? What do RF-7's usually sell for? I think these are probably 2003 models, and he says they are in perfect condition. Pictures are not good quality, but they do appear to be in nice shape. I assume I could sell the center for $125 and the sub for $125 and end up with $500 into a pair of RF-7's and hopefully decent surrounds. Is that a good deal (assuming excellent condition)??

I know a bit more about the older speakers than the new ones, but my guess is the new ones may? sound better, or at least different.

The Classic RF-7 will match with the original RC-7. Without the model stickers on the backs the only way to confirm the models would be to do measurements of the cabinets, drivers, and horns. The surrounds may even be the RS-7. Not sure what the pricing was back then either. it used to be on their site but they have taken them down in the last 3 years.

here are those model pages:
RF-7
http://www.klipsch.com/rf-7-floorstanding-speaker/details
or
http://www.klipsch.com/klipsch-classic-rf-7-floorstanding-speaker/details
RC-7
http://www.klipsch.com/rc-7-center-speaker/details
RS-7
http://www.klipsch.com/rs-7-surround-speaker/details

here a pair on ebay:
Klipsch-RF-7-Main-Stereo-Speakers-in-Cherry

this pair sold for 1000
RF-7-Tower-Speakers-Cherry

Main HT Setup
Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Klipsch RF-3 (FL&FR)
Klipsch RP-3 (FWL&FWR)
Klipsch RC-3 (CENTER)
Klipsch RS-3 (SL&SR)
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
XBOX-360
XBOX-ONE
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page