Forum Jump: 

post #34021 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1 View Post

Nice start man! Welcome to the never ending board game "I must have it...." biggrin.gif I like your plan for SVS subs. Once you get configured, post pictures for us to see your new setup.

Hi PWH1 (and malmstump and Tasdom) - Sorry it's been about 3 weeks since your kind response! I've been busy trying to get everything squared-away, including choosing and setting up the new SVS PB2000s... I spoke with SVS about which sub(s) to get, and wouldn't you know it, they recommended the dual PB2000s over one PB ultra or SB Ultra.  I also noticed the PB2000 was in your line-up (btw, Semper Fi, Devil Dog), and I went with them.  Damn, they are off-the-chart incredible with the new Reference speakers!  I attached a pic as requested... please disregard the mess, I've got a ton of work left to do including room treatments (you can spot the box of ATS Acoustics material in the corner that I'm using to build my bass traps and acoustic panels), cable management and recalibration, just to name a few of the to-do items.  I'll post more as I make progress.  Cheers, and thanks again!

Brent

The Setup to date:

2 RF-82IIs, RC-62s, 2 RS-52IIs

2 SVS PB2000s

Samsung UN65EH6000

Linux & XBMC serving up Blu-ray/DVD/Music (all rooms, cat-5e connected to 8Tb ReadyNAS)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34022 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
brent, that looks very nice!!!
I am half tempted to swap to two matching box subs like that next year. The looks of flanking subs looks soooo sweet. I cant spend anymore soon though. Ive spent too much in the last 6 months already.
Its never ending

post #34023 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent1993 View Post

Hi PWH1 (and malmstump and Tasdom) - Sorry it's been about 3 weeks since your kind response! I've been busy trying to get everything squared-away, including choosing and setting up the new SVS PB2000s... I spoke with SVS about which sub(s) to get, and wouldn't you know it, they recommended the dual PB2000s over one PB ultra or SB Ultra.  I also noticed the PB2000 was in your line-up (btw, Semper Fi, Devil Dog), and I went with them.  Damn, they are off-the-chart incredible with the new Reference speakers!  I attached a pic as requested... please disregard the mess, I've got a ton of work left to do including room treatments (you can spot the box of ATS Acoustics material in the corner that I'm using to build my bass traps and acoustic panels), cable management and recalibration, just to name a few of the to-do items.  I'll post more as I make progress.  Cheers, and thanks again!

Brent

The Setup to date:
2 SVS PB2000s
Samsung UN65EH6000

Linux & XBMC serving up Blu-ray/DVD/Music (all rooms, cat-5e connected to 8Tb ReadyNAS)
Nice ! ya know you don't have to toe in the subs wink.gif

Yeah it's actually best to have 2 subs than one huge one
2 subs smooth out the room nulls & ease cancellations
I currently have 2 of the PC12-NSD's & SVS said that they'd work better than the single large cylinders
they were right ,I've popped sheet rock nails & cracked wallboard with my dual cylinders
brent1993 likes this.

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #34024 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post

brent, that looks very nice!!!
I am half tempted to swap to two matching box subs like that next year. The looks of flanking subs looks soooo sweet. I cant spend anymore soon though. Ive spent too much in the last 6 months already.
Its never ending

Thanks!  I feel ya... my wife hasn't stopped rolling her eyes in over a month!  :)  I was concerned at first about the flanking sub position, but it's turned out to work very well in this room (20x13, mostly open on one side).  Just need to get some bass traps to keep the build-up of low frequency standing-waves from smushing my head during some movie scenes!

post #34025 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Nice ! ya know you don't have to toe in the subs wink.gif

Yeah it's actually best to have 2 subs than one huge one
2 subs smooth out the room nulls & ease cancellations
I currently have 2 of the PC12-NSD's & SVS said that they'd work better than the single large cylinders
they were right ,I've popped sheet rock nails & cracked wallboard with my dual cylinders

Ha!  Yeah, I tumbled down a rabbit hole when I looked on various forums on whether or not to toe them in... I can't tell a difference acoustically, but aesthetically, it has a "technicool" look... ;)

ILOVEMYHDTV and Fastslappy like this.
post #34026 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Thanks!  I feel ya... my wife hasn't stopped rolling her eyes in over a month!  smile.gif  I was concerned at first about the flanking sub position, but it's turned out to work very well in this room (20x13, mostly open on one side).  Just need to get some bass traps to keep the build-up of low frequency standing-waves from smushing my head during some movie scenes!

Yea mine seemed to even out alot when I added my Klipsch sub back into the mix with my SVS. Since I moved into the basement I keep the SVS tube nearfield and let it resonate under the steps. The Klipsch is between the right tower and ent center.
It works very well now, but standing lfe notes get to be a little much at times. I turned the gains down a bit and now trying to get used to lower response.
Still trying to find that sweet spot, but my room really sucks. The prior owners did not drywall and I have this panelling type board up which reflects like crazy. I am gonna try some absorption treatments next and see how it does.

I dont want to go too far though as we are planning to move in a year or two
brent1993 likes this.

post #34027 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post

Yea mine seemed to even out alot when I added my Klipsch sub back into the mix with my SVS. Since I moved into the basement I keep the SVS tube nearfield and let it resonate under the steps. The Klipsch is between the right tower and ent center.
It works very well now, but standing lfe notes get to be a little much at times. I turned the gains down a bit and now trying to get used to lower response.
Still trying to find that sweet spot, but my room really sucks. The prior owners did not drywall and I have this panelling type board up which reflects like crazy. I am gonna try some absorption treatments next and see how it does.

I dont want to go too far though as we are planning to move in a year or two

I turned mine down a little as well for the same reason, but I miss the waves that we used to be able to feel in some parts of music and movies.  The info I've dug up so far indicates the bass traps will help with the standing waves so we can turn the gain back up to where it was and win-win.  I may be able to get mine done this week and will post some results in case it helps you.  We have the same situation with moving in a year or two, so I'm building mine to be easily removeable/transportable.  If I don't screw it up, maybe it'll work... heh. 

post #34028 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I turned mine down a little as well for the same reason, but I miss the waves that we used to be able to feel in some parts of music and movies.  The info I've dug up so far indicates the bass traps will help with the standing waves so we can turn the gain back up to where it was and win-win.  I may be able to get mine done this week and will post some results in case it helps you.  We have the same situation with moving in a year or two, so I'm building mine to be easily removeable/transportable.  If I don't screw it up, maybe it'll work... heh. 
try this push those subs back against the wall , some guys even face the subs toward the side walls in a opposing attitude
In others experiment with placement usually what looks good is Not the optimal spot for the subs
you'll get over the 'But they look cool there ' thingy , once you find the rooms sweet spot for the subs because then the response is so good you start caring less on how they look cool.gif

Mike

post #34029 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 168
Quote:

Brent

The Setup to date:
2 SVS PB2000s
Samsung UN65EH6000

Brent -

Looks awesome - love the setup. There's something about wife's and stereo equipment that just don't seem to align. Mine has been great but the size of the PB 2000 had her face twitching - lol. Sounds like you have had a chance to stretch the legs on the system and got to feel the power the combination can produce. Movies are insane and I love the SVS ported subs with music as well. Enjoy your setup and the fun of tweaking and pondering the "next" move.

Semper Fi.

BTW - with use of the term "squared away" I have to assume you are a brother?

Denon AVR X1000

Klipsch RF-62 II 

Klipsch RC-62 II

Klipsch RB-61 II

SVS PB-2000

SVS PB-1000

LG 47LE5400

Samsung Blue-ray BD-P3600

Logitech Harmony Smart Control

Panamax M5100-PM

post #34030 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 438
It's NOT a Marine specific term; may have started there....

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #34031 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 02:44 PM

Now that I look at those subs again, I realize how huge they are if they sit that high to an RF-82. I need me some now!

post #34032 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

It's NOT a Marine specific term; may have started there....

You better lock it up Sancho! LOL.... Well, this ole jar head wouldn't know that cause I served only in the Corps. I am sure a lot of the terms that are military specific span all the branches.

Denon AVR X1000

Klipsch RF-62 II 

Klipsch RC-62 II

Klipsch RB-61 II

SVS PB-2000

SVS PB-1000

LG 47LE5400

Panamax M5100-PM

post #34033 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1 View Post

You better lock it up Sancho! LOL.... Well, this ole jar head wouldn't know that cause I served only in the Corps. I am sure a lot of the terms that are military specific span all the branches.

I can argue that squared away is a Navy saying.

Now, make sure your speakers are squared away on the gig line.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #34034 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:

Brent

The Setup to date:
2 SVS PB2000s
Samsung UN65EH6000

congrats on a great room

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and RB-61 II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #34035 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

I can argue that squared away is a Navy saying.

Now, make sure your speakers are squared away on the gig line.

Sir yes sir!!!

Denon AVR X1000

Klipsch RF-62 II 

Klipsch RC-62 II

Klipsch RB-61 II

SVS PB-2000

SVS PB-1000

LG 47LE5400

Panamax M5100-PM

post #34036 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Dean from Aletheia Audio is the person who did all the leg work/research on this mod & he'd be the one to contact
IIRC it was Dean's work that prompted Klipsch to re-work the 7's into the 7II's

http://www.aletheiaaudio.com/

Thanks guys

RC-64 Center, RF-7 Fronts, RF-82 Sides, RW-12D, QTY=2, RSW-15, RS-52ii Rears, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Panasonic 65VT60, 65"
post #34037 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Liked: 112
Quote:

Brent

The Setup to date:
2 SVS PB2000s
Samsung UN65EH6000

Looks good man….congrats!

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #34038 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Can anyone comment on if $500 for a used XPA-5 first generation is a good deal. They said all five channels work and no scratches. Thank you
malmstump likes this.

RC-64 Center, RF-7 Fronts, RF-82 Sides, RW-12D, QTY=2, RSW-15, RS-52ii Rears, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Panasonic 65VT60, 65"
post #34039 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger View Post

Can anyone comment on if $500 for a used XPA-5 first generation is a good deal. They said all five channels work and no scratches. Thank you
yes awsome deal ,get it before it dissapears
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #34040 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger View Post

.50 cents a watt is a very good deal!! eek.gif

9.2 System.....
Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 Powered by Emotiva XPA-5 X 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains
Klipsch RC-64II Center
Klipsch RB-75s Heights
Klipsch RS-7's Side Surrounds
Klipsch RS-52II's Rear Surrounds
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's x 4
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 12...
post #34041 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoJo View Post

RC-64II if you have a reference line setup,  KL650THX if you have a THX setup
RF7ii+RC64ii vs KL650THX as LCR....which is better for movies?
I've read that KL650THX sounds bigger and better than RF83 for movies.
post #34042 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

RF7ii+RC64ii vs KL650THX as LCR....which is better for movies?
I've read that KL650THX sounds bigger and better than RF83 for movies.
the THX line is another whole beast & sadly it don't mix &/or play well with other Kilpsch speakers .
the reason is it designed as a complete system , the speakers are crossed so that they roll off at 80 none have a bottom end
& the 2 subs are powered by a 2 channel made for them only amp
it's a HTIB system for rich people biggrin.gif if you get the flow

Mike

post #34043 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 PM

Liked: 23

Just introducing myself as a proud klipsch owner. I have budget system pieced together from sales and hand me downs. I am very happy with my system although I am eyeing the reference series, particularly the RF-7IIs. This thread is awesome! You guys rock!

L/R: F-30

C: C-20

Surround: KSS-3 (searching for S-20s on sale)

Sub: Sub-12

AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 147

Devices: HTPC, PS3, Wii, Chromecast, Behringer MIX800 (Karaoke Mixer)

Projector: Benq W1070

Screen: Visual Apex 120"

Remote: Logitech Harmony 520

post #34044 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

the THX line is another whole beast & sadly it don't mix &/or play well with other Kilpsch speakers .
the reason is it designed as a complete system , the speakers are crossed so that they roll off at 80 none have a bottom end
I'm sure everyone here uses subwoofer together with the Reference towers for movies.
If my usage is purely for movies, should I even bother with the Reference series? Or the KL650 is the only one?
post #34045 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanginaglaz View Post

Just introducing myself as a proud klipsch owner. I have budget system pieced together from sales and hand me downs. I am very happy with my system although I am eyeing the reference series, particularly the RF-7IIs. This thread is awesome! You guys rock!

Welcome...

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #34046 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 PM

Liked: 65
Quote:

Brent

The Setup to date:

2 SVS PB2000s

Samsung UN65EH6000

Nice set up..

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

post #34047 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 PM

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanginaglaz View Post

Remote: Logitech Harmony 520

Hello, nice screen size ya got there!!

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

post #34048 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I'm sure everyone here uses subwoofer together with the Reference towers for movies.
If my usage is purely for movies, should I even bother with the Reference series? Or the KL650 is the only one?
it's for left right & center use so you'd need 3 of them
specs to 46 ? I'd say it starts rolling off much higher
a pair of 7II don't actually need a sub when set to large , yeah you'd miss the LFE channel thou rolleyes.gif

Mike

post #34049 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 09:37 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ View Post

Hello, nice screen size ya got there!!

Thanks! Its amazing. No need to go to the movies anymore.

Soupy1970 likes this.
post #34050 of 37303 Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

I am dissapointed in what you said about the THX system as I was thinking that might be the holy grail for me in klipsch. So do you really feel its a HTIB for rich people, vs a r7 II system?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page