Klipsch owner thread - Page 1141 - AVS Forum
First ... 1139  1140  1141 1142  1143  ... Last
Speakers > Klipsch owner thread
cchunter's Avatar cchunter 02:20 PM 03-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

When house shopping it was the must have (dedicated room) . Walked out of many nice homes that didn't have the room. This room is nice but still not perfect to what i wanted. If it was just 5ft or more wider it would have been a perfect room. I think 150" screen would be my end game. Always something to look forwarded too biggrin.gif
Ref I'd give my left nut for your setup. Funny how you still want to go bigger. It has to stop sometime doesn't it?

Reference_head's Avatar Reference_head 02:26 PM 03-22-2014
Good question lol. I don't see me going bigger for a long long time. I will probably live here at least another 15-20 years. My point was only to say that even going into it as a must have i still had to compromise a bit. I don't want to sound shallow. I'm very grateful For what i have. biggrin.gif
23109VC's Avatar 23109VC 03:05 PM 03-22-2014

I am slowly building my home theater... I just bought some Klipsch RF-15s on CL for a great deal.. $200. they sounded amazing when guy demo'd them on a cheapo receiver in his garage....

i have them setup but i didn't own a receiver... i gave up on trying to find a good deal via CL.. everything was either way outdated, or people still wanted too much.. i have a Fry's electronics close to my house.. so I scored a Yamaha RX-V375 for $169.  It is a refurbished unit... but for my budget it's perfect.  I"m off to get it now.  very excited.

I am going to come home and wire it up to my RF-15s and my existing Klipsch SW-8 sub (20 years old and still works great!).

I will post up some pics and my thoughts later tonight...  very excited and thanks to you all for the advice along the way...  there are a lot of you hear running RF-7s and big $$$ audiophile stuff.. I am a newbie... I have been listening to music on my TV speakers for the past couple of years or computer speakers..and it's time for a real home system.. but i'm on a budget.. all your help has been very valuable... thanks.

Reference_head's Avatar Reference_head 03:19 PM 03-22-2014
congrats biggrin.gif
malmstump's Avatar malmstump 07:13 PM 03-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post

I am slowly building my home theater... I just bought some Klipsch RF-15s on CL for a great deal.. $200. they sounded amazing when guy demo'd them on a cheapo receiver in his garage....

i have them setup but i didn't own a receiver... i gave up on trying to find a good deal via CL.. everything was either way outdated, or people still wanted too much.. i have a Fry's electronics close to my house.. so I scored a Yamaha RX-V375 for $169.  It is a refurbished unit... but for my budget it's perfect.  I"m off to get it now.  very excited.

I am going to come home and wire it up to my RF-15s and my existing Klipsch SW-8 sub (20 years old and still works great!).

I will post up some pics and my thoughts later tonight...  very excited and thanks to you all for the advice along the way...  there are a lot of you hear running RF-7s and big $$$ audiophile stuff.. I am a newbie... I have been listening to music on my TV speakers for the past couple of years or computer speakers..and it's time for a real home system.. but i'm on a budget.. all your help has been very valuable... thanks.
again ,congrats 23 ,nice .pics when you get it all setup smile.gif
Skylinestar's Avatar Skylinestar 07:15 PM 03-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I would most definitely go with the KL-650 as it will perform, and measure, much better than the RC-64ii regardless of your mains being Reference series or THX Ultra-2 series. The RC-64ii is a decent center, and I have spent plenty of time listening to it, but, all horizontal MTM centers are compromised by their design. There are two rules of thumb that I always recommend people stick to regarding center channels, (and yes, I do sometimes catch some flack for this, but, those who are familiar with speaker design and those who want the absolute best performance in their theater and have knowledge/experience with regards to measurements for optimizing their speaker setup will agree)

The first rule that I go by is to always get the absolute best center channel that you can afford. I say this because the center channel is, IMHO, the most important speaker in the setup as it contains most of the dialog and is where the most content comes from. Even if your center isn't an exact match to the left & right channels, it won't be a problem for movies unless you listen to a lot of multi-channel music, in which case I would recommend using 5 identical speakers.

The second thing that I most recommend for people who have the space & room for it is to use an identical speaker for the center channel that matches your L+R channels.

I will also note that I recently got to hear a buddy's system that had been utilizing a pair of RF-7ii's for the L+R and an RC-64ii for the center. I talked him into trying an RF-82ii for the center channel and he loved it so much that he sold his RC-64ii.
I have a non-AT 120" screen. If I place the KL650 below the screen, probably 1' from floor, will it sound like it's coming from below the screen (very annoying)?
I've read that JTR speakers & eD[C]12 speakers will throw a huge soundstage that the sound feels like it's coming from the screen.
(going AT is not possible because I've spent a lot for the current ambient light rejection screen).
Louis Bartay's Avatar Louis Bartay 07:33 PM 03-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post

I couldn't agree more with that statement! My room has to do for now but SOMEDAY I will have a dedicated room.

DITTO, remodeling our attached two car garage is on my bucket list for a HT music room. I can lock the door on so the Grand Kids don't mess with my equipment. biggrin.gif
Fastslappy's Avatar Fastslappy 07:42 PM 03-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I have a non-AT 120" screen. If I place the KL650 below the screen, probably 1' from floor, will it sound like it's coming from below the screen (very annoying)?
I've read that JTR speakers & eD[C]12 speakers will throw a huge soundstage that the sound feels like it's coming from the screen.
(going AT is not possible because I've spent a lot for the current ambient light rejection screen).
angle the 650 up & it will be fine ,if on the floor then just use a thick board under the front edge as long as the horn is aimed at the MLP you'll be fine
I did that with my CS-1.5 horizontal center sounded great in fact even after I placed that CS-1.5 on stand there wasn't any difference I could tell
aiming is the important part & the woofs get a better response close to the floor anyway
Tasdom's Avatar Tasdom 07:46 PM 03-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I almost went with an AT screen but decided not to. My center is right below my screen angled up and voices still seam like they are coming from behind the screen. You'll be fine imo

malmstump's Avatar malmstump 08:02 PM 03-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post

I almost went with an AT screen but decided not to. My center is right below my screen angled up and voices still seam like they are coming from behind the screen. You'll be fine imo

wow dude ,tasdom what a home theater man :)now that is kick ass
SanchoPanza's Avatar SanchoPanza 09:13 PM 03-22-2014
Denon AVR-E300 5.1 $199.99 from Amazon; link in Great Found Deals Room
Tasdom's Avatar Tasdom 10:45 PM 03-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post

wow dude ,tasdom what a home theater man :)now that is kick ass

Thanks bud! Your KLF set up is way cool and something I'd like to hear someday. One of the few Klipsch towers I've never had the opportunity to listen to...........someday!
sqa4life's Avatar sqa4life 01:32 AM 03-23-2014
[/quote]

Speechless! WOW!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
malmstump's Avatar malmstump 07:26 AM 03-23-2014
Quote:

Thanks bud! Your KLF set up is way cool and something I'd like to hear someday. One of the few Klipsch towers I've never had the opportunity to listen to...........someday!
tas,anyday your in maple ridge bc canada your welcome to come over .would be an honour to have a fellow klipsch brother smile.gif in my house and that goes to all
Tasdom's Avatar Tasdom 10:27 AM 03-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

When house shopping it was the must have (dedicated room) . Walked out of many nice homes that didn't have the room. This room is nice but still not perfect to what i wanted. If it was just 5ft or more wider it would have been a perfect room. I think 150" screen would be my end game. Always something to look forwarded too biggrin.gif

I can only imagine if you went home shopping now.......

1 room for the reference HT
1 room for the heritage HT
1 room for 2 channel only

and all rooms with perfect corners! biggrin.gif
Tasdom's Avatar Tasdom 10:35 AM 03-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post

tas,anyday your in maple ridge bc canada your welcome to come over .would be an honour to have a fellow klipsch brother smile.gif in my house and that goes to all

Likewise, love Canada! Been a couple of years but I use to go fishing up there on an annual trip.
ellisr63's Avatar ellisr63 10:38 AM 03-23-2014
I currently have a 134" non at screen, but we are in the process of converting our 2 car garage into a dedicated HT with a 14' wide (viewable area) AT screen. The actual screen will be 19' wide and masked down with black AT material. Speakers are a mix of Heritage, Pro, Industrial, and custom DIY for a 11.2 setup. We can't wait to get it completed so we can start up the movie nights again. smile.gif
PM-Performance's Avatar PM-Performance 11:38 AM 03-23-2014
IM really starting to find I do not trust Audessey for level matching speakers.
I just used the SPL meter app on my phone ( i know it will not be accurate for the reading itself as a number, but atleast to tell me on level matching). Come to find out yet again all my channels are fairly far off.
3-5db on some channels

wondering if I am just better off level matching and being done with it. Or maybe just leave the Mic in one spot and not move it when letting Audessey do its thing?
I shut off the Dyn volume and Dyn EQ also and pointed my center channel up a bit more.
Sounds a bit better now with music. No movie time on it yet.
Wish there was a way to sit higher to look into my towers throats of the horns too. I feel I should be getting more sometimes than what I am.
sqa4life's Avatar sqa4life 11:54 AM 03-23-2014
I called sound_distributors on ebay regarding a cherry RC-62 II. Does $425 shipped a good deal?
PM-Performance's Avatar PM-Performance 12:03 PM 03-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqa4life View Post

I called sound_distributors on ebay regarding a cherry RC-62 II. Does $425 shipped a good deal?

It's decent.
Call Mike @ AV Science and see what he can do.
I am positive he can get you a more attractive price
23109VC's Avatar 23109VC 01:38 PM 03-23-2014

UPDATE -  I was up late last night hooking everything up...

For those of you not following my posts.. I am putting together a home theater / music system and trying to do it on a budget.  I want something really great for music and home theater... but I plan to do a lot of music listening ..  I doubt I will ever try to do a 7.1 system... 5.1 is plenty for my needs.  I had no good speakers except for an old Klipsch SW-8 sub.  I had that hooked up to the audio output on my TV.  I would listen to movies using the TV's built in speakers and my sub.. it was not very good and I finally decided it was time to get some nice speakers.  

I have a 58" Panasonic plamsa that is about 7-8 years old.  I needed speakers and didn't want to spend too much and wanted something that would fit alongside my TV set so I was looking at RF-52s and RF-62s.  I found a nice set of Klipsch RF-15 speakers on CL for $200 - which are basically an older RF-52.  for the price I grabbed them.  

I also bought a receiver at Fry's.  an entry level Yamaha.  RX-V375.  

I wanted to post some pics of what I have put together so far and throw out a few more questions.  My goal is to get the best sound possible, try to buy mostly used stuff or new stuff that provides great value, and to buy stuff that I can either easily sell to upgrade, or to buy components that I can grow with.  

My starting point was basically at zero.  I had ONE speaker - my old Klipsch SW-8 powered sub.  It has an 8" woofer, and I think it has an 80 Watt amp. 

so here is what my house looked like before i put in the system

the Klipsch sub is inside the wooden TV stand on the right, laid on it's side. I added small rubber feet to the side to keep it from rattling all over.

this is with the RF-15s slid along the sides of the TV.  I had to remove the feet on the bottom of the speakers to get them to fit... I have very little clearance and to me, even though they fit, they look a bit jammed in there.

i love how the RF speakers look with the grills off.. very nice!  the above photo is before i even had a receiver.. I had no way to hook them up so they were just sitting there as pretty decorations... so for the past few days I"ve been researching receivers, trying to figure out what to get.  I was debating between going ultra cheap and getting something of CL that would be suitable.. or get something new.  I got a refurbished Yamaha RX-V375 for $169 at Fry's.  i figured I"ll try it out and if I decide I don't like it, I have 30 days to return it and change my receiver.  It's advertised as having 100W per channel but I also saw somewhere it was rated at only 70W per channel...  it's basically the entry level Yamaha receiver, but it's new and has HDMI connections so that is nice.

I bought some banana plugs, and used speaker wire I had from before.. heavy gauge stuff.. probably 14 gauge I think...  and wired up the RF-15s, the receiver, and fed the pre-amp sub output into my old Klipsch SW-8. I also got out the vacuum and cleaned out my tv stand cabinet.. what a dusty mess... wow was it dirty in there..  here is my messy family room late last night...

so I hooked up my receiver to my apple TV and then streamed music from my phone.. i had everything just laying on the floor so I could see how it worked..nothing was installed where it would ultimately go... and I was just playing around having fun....

i had some issues getting the sub to work... i bought an adaptor to split the sub output into RCA L/R so it would plug into the back of my old sub..and I found a setting in the menus and the sub out put was off..turned it on... and it was all running.

HERE IS SOMETHING FUNNY....   at first I didn't think it was that loud... I wasn'tt used to the volume starting with negative numbers...  .. like -60db... and as I turned it up i thought 0 was max!! I'm a total newbie to this...  so I stopped turning up the volume as I got closer to 0..thinking that was full blast.. so I was at like -10db and I thought "this is nice but nothing amazing"  It certainly didn't seem as loud as when I demo'd them.  then I thought.. I bet 0 isn't' the max and it actually goes into positive numbers...  so I cranked it up...  OMG....   holy crap!  the combo of my little 8" sub and these two RF-15s was INSANE.  I LOVED IT.. IT SOUNDED SO LOUD, SO CLEAN, SO CRISP. I have to admit.. I got this big ear to ear grin when I cranked it up... the RF-15s actually have a decent amount of punch to them, especially if you are sitting closer to them.  my sub is not that big, but it added just enough bass so that the sound wasn't unbalanced.. there was some thump in there, although not tons as my sub is only an 8".  but my overall impression was "WOW".  :)  

It is amazing how much fun it is to listen to music with good speakers.  I'm sure my setup is archaic to many of you... but given where i started from, this is a big step forward.  I must have just listened to my  songs for a couple hours, going through a bunch of my various music seeing how it sounded.  With some of the tracks I heard sounds / things that I had never heard before.  I've heard people say that happens with good speakers..and I know what they mean now.  everything sounded really good!  some styles of music sounded better... rock/roll, stuff with beats but not heavy bass sounded absolutely amazing.  the only stuff that sounded lacking was when I put on bass heavy stuff like a rap song, or some of the modern top 40 stuff that is really heavy with bass/beats...  but 90% of it was totally mind blowing.

so now I have to put it away because my floor is a mess and it's almost 1am...  :)   I decided to NOT put the speakers back alongside the entertainment center, but to instead position them outside my niche alongside the wall.  maybe not where my wife will like them, but for the time being this will do.  I put the feet back on the bottom of the speakers. the seller still had the little carpet spikes that go into the bottom of the feet, but I haven't put those in.. not sure if I should or not?  

here is everything put away.

First off - thanks to all of you who helped me with your suggestions and comments along the way.  I really enjoy the setup I have.  It didn't cost a ton and it sounds great. 

Here are some additional questions I've come up with i"m hoping some of you will chime in on:

1) Should I upgrade my sub?

The RF-15s sound great, but I can tell they don't have enough bass to run on their own as main speakers.  At least not for my tastes - I still like to put on some bass heavy stuff once in a while and it seems like my sub has a hard time with the really deep stuff.  also my room is large and that could be a factor too.  when I play certain tracks that have tight bass sounds.. it sounds great.  If I put on something with deep bass.. say a rap song or some really beat heavy modern music.. I can tell the bass sounds wimpy.  when I was Fry's yesterday I went into their demo rooms and they had one full of just subs. they had a 15" Klipsch sub.. it was like $800.  OMG.  It sounded CRAZY.  it felt like the bass was going through my body.  I WANT that in my family room!!!  my little SW-8 isn't even close.. not as deep note as powerful by any means.

I"m not going to drop $800 on a new 15" sub... but I have no problem spending 200-250 and picking up a used one.  I"ve seen several 10" or 12" Klipsch subs for sale on CL.  given how long mine has lasted I have no reservations about buying a used sub from Klipsch.  would a 12" sub probably make a ton more bass than my 8"?

I also thought about moving my SW-8 OUT of the wooden TV stand and putting it somewhere else int eh room.  I can even get a wireless kit if necessary and play around with where I position it int eh room. I was curious if you think that my Sub might work better if i moved it to a different spot in my family room.  My existing sub sounds awesome when I am in some parts of my family room, then it sounds wimpy and almost not there in other parts.  I can walk 8' away and the bass just drops off.. i walk another 8" to the far edge of the room and it booms again. I know this due to the bass waves being large and I have heard you get "dead spots" with subs.. but are they ALL like this, or is it worse with smaller ones?  If I upgraded to a 12" sub.. would I still get this same effect?  or would it be much less noticeable?  

I have seen halfway decent prices on used Klpsch subs on CL.  I'm sure I could find a used 12" synergy line sub for under $200.  i'm guessing that would outdo my 8"???  

they also make a wireless system for subs by rocket fish.. i could use something like that and move my sub all over the family room to try different positions and see how it affects bass...  any of you think that is a good idea to help produce more bass?  or do I just need a bigger sub?  

here is one small cable question - I also connected my sub using an old RCA plug.. it's a quality plug but not a "subwoofer" cable like some i"ve seen on the shelf at the store.  are those "sub" cables anything special that would help bass production or just marketing crap and my existing RCA cable is perfectly fine?

2) Adding Surround Sound / Center

I'm anxious to get a center channel and plug in rear surrounds. It would be fun to listen to movies and have all the channels going.  

Until I can afford better speakers, I'll just make due with what I have.  as far as stuff I have laying around the house / in the garage - I have some small bookshelf speakers that are old and nothing special but they work and I could hook them up.  here is a pic of what they look like..

I also have an old Panasonic HTIB that had several cheapo speakers.. I could use some of those as a center or rear surrounds.. Will it sound better / ok to have these running, even though they are not "matched" to the Klipsch speakers... and they are cheap - or will it degrade the experience?  just curious what you think??

3) Is my existing receiver sufficient as I upgrade to bigger/better Main speakers / center?!?

This just shows you that the bug has bit me already.. when I was at Fry's.. I went into their demo room where they had all the floor standers..they had the RF-42s up to the RF-82s...  I listened to the RF-62s.. which looked quite a bit bigger than my RF-15s...   the size difference is quite noticeable and I think the sound was better...more midrange punch...  so right away I catch myself thinking .. about how I could eventually upgrade to RF-62s for fronts or even RF-82s...  :)  and then move my RF-15s the rears and use them as rear surrounds.  Would that work?  are RF-15s usable as rears??  and if I did that, will my existing receiver push all these speakers?  could my receiver push RF-62s up front, a RC-62 center, and my RF-15s to the rear and sound good?  or will it be too much for it and I am bound to need to upgrade the receiver???

I have 30 days to return the receiver...and if I am doomed to upgrade if/when I get bigger/better speakers.. I was tempted to either upgrade my receiver NOW and return this one.

one thing I noticed I didn't have as a connection on the rear of my receiver was a plug to install my sub.. meaning the power. so my sub is plugged into the wall and I have to turn it on/off separately.. instead of just plugging the sub into the back of the stereo and having it atomically come on when my recover turns on. that kind of bothered me.. maybe i'm just anal... i wanted the whole system to go on/ off at once..

also.. my apple tv plugs into the receiver.  if my tv turns off, the whole things turns off.  I was trying to just stream music to apple tv and listen to it via the receiver with the TV OFF but once I turn off the tV the whole system shuts off.  Is it supposed to do this??  I ran the apple TV HDMI from the Apple TV to the receiver.  the receiver has an HDMI output that goes to my TV.  is there a way to listen to music and NOT have to have my TV running? 

4) Wireless rear surround question

Whether I hook up my little cheap speakers as rears, or I eventually move my RF-15s to the rear - I was looking at wireless setups.. which would make it much easier to install, but how do you get adequate power to run the speakers if you don't have the receiver actually connected to them?  I can't imagine the rocket fish system has that much power???  maybe enough to run my little audio source crap speakers..but certainly not enough to run RF-15s to the rear???

5)  Should I use the YPAO setup or is that a gimmick?

I havne't tried this yet, and wondered if it would help?  with only left and right and a sub would it even do much??

THANK YOU!!

i know I"m written a ton, and asked a bunch of random questions.. i'm partially still really excited about my speakers and am just having fun sharing.. I'm sure you all know exactly how I am feeling.. it's great to be able to turn up the sound, and listen to great music.  I am the kind of person who loves music, I appreciate having a good system, and it's been way too long since I've had a half way decent system..

If you've read this far, thanks, and thank you for any advice, input you can give me for my questions and helping me make good decisions on how to setup my system, what will work, what won't, and what will give me the biggest bang for the buck!  

Thank you everyone!!

MSchu18's Avatar MSchu18 01:57 PM 03-23-2014
Holy shyte... now THAT ^ is a post!

FWIW... 5.1 is plenty for the vast majority or home theater lovers.

The receiver is okay for where you are at now, but it will become your weak link once you begin to upgrade.
mgulenproto's Avatar mgulenproto 02:55 PM 03-23-2014

I've updated my speakers connected to my Yamaha RX-V673 to a set of Klipsch speakers (since they were on a nice sale at BB).  Not to top of line ones like a lot of Klipsch owners on here, but these suit my needs and then some:

Klipsch - Icon 5-1/4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers  Model: KB-15 - Use as Left/Right front surround

Klipsch - Icon 5-1/4" Center Speaker  Model: KC-25

Klipsch - Icon Dual 4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker (Pair)  Model: KS-14 - Use as rears

I ended up getting some HDTV monitor mounts to mount them to the wall - none of the speaker mounts really seemed to what I needed.

Also got a polk subwoofer PSW-10

I gotta say, this yamaha and these speakers sound great!   I've upgraded from old kenwood surround which i've had for about 12 years....LOL.

Tasdom's Avatar Tasdom 03:15 PM 03-23-2014
Oh come on now 23109VC don't be shy, tell us how you really feel ! eek.gif

lmao congrats on the new set up, looks very nice!
Mongo171's Avatar Mongo171 04:38 PM 03-23-2014
Quote:

Very nice! I'll never have a PJ in this house. Maybe the next one.
Mongo171's Avatar Mongo171 04:43 PM 03-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post

IM really starting to find I do not trust Audessey for level matching speakers.
I just used the SPL meter app on my phone ( i know it will not be accurate for the reading itself as a number, but atleast to tell me on level matching). Come to find out yet again all my channels are fairly far off.
3-5db on some channels

wondering if I am just better off level matching and being done with it. Or maybe just leave the Mic in one spot and not move it when letting Audessey do its thing?
I shut off the Dyn volume and Dyn EQ also and pointed my center channel up a bit more.
Sounds a bit better now with music. No movie time on it yet.
Wish there was a way to sit higher to look into my towers throats of the horns too. I feel I should be getting more sometimes than what I am.

You're not the only one who has bad results using an ARC for their system. Some people run it for distance and phase. Then, out comes the SPL meter for levels. I know it's an automatic 3-6db boost on the sub.

You only need to look at the mid horn in the eye.
malmstump's Avatar malmstump 04:52 PM 03-23-2014
Quote:

Oh come on now 23109VC don't be shy, tell us how you really feel ! eek.gif

lmao congrats on the new set up, looks very nice!
roflmao ,tas man that was freakin funnnnny i am all teared up biggrin.gif
23109VC's Avatar 23109VC 04:52 PM 03-23-2014

Tasdom - that setup is insane!  must sound like you are IN the movie!  i'm sure the  music sounds amazing too!  i am quite a few "upgrades" away from a system like yours...  ;)

malmstump's Avatar malmstump 04:55 PM 03-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post

UPDATE -  I was up late last night hooking everything up...

For those of you not following my posts.. I am putting together a home theater / music system and trying to do it on a budget.  I want something really great for music and home theater... but I plan to do a lot of music listening ..  I doubt I will ever try to do a 7.1 system... 5.1 is plenty for my needs.  I had no good speakers except for an old Klipsch SW-8 sub.  I had that hooked up to the audio output on my TV.  I would listen to movies using the TV's built in speakers and my sub.. it was not very good and I finally decided it was time to get some nice speakers.  

I have a 58" Panasonic plamsa that is about 7-8 years old.  I needed speakers and didn't want to spend too much and wanted something that would fit alongside my TV set so I was looking at RF-52s and RF-62s.  I found a nice set of Klipsch RF-15 speakers on CL for $200 - which are basically an older RF-52.  for the price I grabbed them.  

I also bought a receiver at Fry's.  an entry level Yamaha.  RX-V375.  

I wanted to post some pics of what I have put together so far and throw out a few more questions.  My goal is to get the best sound possible, try to buy mostly used stuff or new stuff that provides great value, and to buy stuff that I can either easily sell to upgrade, or to buy components that I can grow with.  

My starting point was basically at zero.  I had ONE speaker - my old Klipsch SW-8 powered sub.  It has an 8" woofer, and I think it has an 80 Watt amp. 

so here is what my house looked like before i put in the system

the Klipsch sub is inside the wooden TV stand on the right, laid on it's side. I added small rubber feet to the side to keep it from rattling all over.

this is with the RF-15s slid along the sides of the TV.  I had to remove the feet on the bottom of the speakers to get them to fit... I have very little clearance and to me, even though they fit, they look a bit jammed in there.

i love how the RF speakers look with the grills off.. very nice!  the above photo is before i even had a receiver.. I had no way to hook them up so they were just sitting there as pretty decorations... so for the past few days I"ve been researching receivers, trying to figure out what to get.  I was debating between going ultra cheap and getting something of CL that would be suitable.. or get something new.  I got a refurbished Yamaha RX-V375 for $169 at Fry's.  i figured I"ll try it out and if I decide I don't like it, I have 30 days to return it and change my receiver.  It's advertised as having 100W per channel but I also saw somewhere it was rated at only 70W per channel...  it's basically the entry level Yamaha receiver, but it's new and has HDMI connections so that is nice.

I bought some banana plugs, and used speaker wire I had from before.. heavy gauge stuff.. probably 14 gauge I think...  and wired up the RF-15s, the receiver, and fed the pre-amp sub output into my old Klipsch SW-8. I also got out the vacuum and cleaned out my tv stand cabinet.. what a dusty mess... wow was it dirty in there..  here is my messy family room late last night...

so I hooked up my receiver to my apple TV and then streamed music from my phone.. i had everything just laying on the floor so I could see how it worked..nothing was installed where it would ultimately go... and I was just playing around having fun....

i had some issues getting the sub to work... i bought an adaptor to split the sub output into RCA L/R so it would plug into the back of my old sub..and I found a setting in the menus and the sub out put was off..turned it on... and it was all running.

HERE IS SOMETHING FUNNY....   at first I didn't think it was that loud... I wasn'tt used to the volume starting with negative numbers...  .. like -60db... and as I turned it up i thought 0 was max!! I'm a total newbie to this...  so I stopped turning up the volume as I got closer to 0..thinking that was full blast.. so I was at like -10db and I thought "this is nice but nothing amazing"  It certainly didn't seem as loud as when I demo'd them.  then I thought.. I bet 0 isn't' the max and it actually goes into positive numbers...  so I cranked it up...  OMG....   holy crap!  the combo of my little 8" sub and these two RF-15s was INSANE.  I LOVED IT.. IT SOUNDED SO LOUD, SO CLEAN, SO CRISP. I have to admit.. I got this big ear to ear grin when I cranked it up... the RF-15s actually have a decent amount of punch to them, especially if you are sitting closer to them.  my sub is not that big, but it added just enough bass so that the sound wasn't unbalanced.. there was some thump in there, although not tons as my sub is only an 8".  but my overall impression was "WOW".  smile.gif  

It is amazing how much fun it is to listen to music with good speakers.  I'm sure my setup is archaic to many of you... but given where i started from, this is a big step forward.  I must have just listened to my  songs for a couple hours, going through a bunch of my various music seeing how it sounded.  With some of the tracks I heard sounds / things that I had never heard before.  I've heard people say that happens with good speakers..and I know what they mean now.  everything sounded really good!  some styles of music sounded better... rock/roll, stuff with beats but not heavy bass sounded absolutely amazing.  the only stuff that sounded lacking was when I put on bass heavy stuff like a rap song, or some of the modern top 40 stuff that is really heavy with bass/beats...  but 90% of it was totally mind blowing.

so now I have to put it away because my floor is a mess and it's almost 1am...  smile.gif   I decided to NOT put the speakers back alongside the entertainment center, but to instead position them outside my niche alongside the wall.  maybe not where my wife will like them, but for the time being this will do.  I put the feet back on the bottom of the speakers. the seller still had the little carpet spikes that go into the bottom of the feet, but I haven't put those in.. not sure if I should or not?  

here is everything put away.

First off - thanks to all of you who helped me with your suggestions and comments along the way.  I really enjoy the setup I have.  It didn't cost a ton and it sounds great. 

Here are some additional questions I've come up with i"m hoping some of you will chime in on:

1) Should I upgrade my sub?

The RF-15s sound great, but I can tell they don't have enough bass to run on their own as main speakers.  At least not for my tastes - I still like to put on some bass heavy stuff once in a while and it seems like my sub has a hard time with the really deep stuff.  also my room is large and that could be a factor too.  when I play certain tracks that have tight bass sounds.. it sounds great.  If I put on something with deep bass.. say a rap song or some really beat heavy modern music.. I can tell the bass sounds wimpy.  when I was Fry's yesterday I went into their demo rooms and they had one full of just subs. they had a 15" Klipsch sub.. it was like $800.  OMG.  It sounded CRAZY.  it felt like the bass was going through my body.  I WANT that in my family room!!!  my little SW-8 isn't even close.. not as deep note as powerful by any means.

I"m not going to drop $800 on a new 15" sub... but I have no problem spending 200-250 and picking up a used one.  I"ve seen several 10" or 12" Klipsch subs for sale on CL.  given how long mine has lasted I have no reservations about buying a used sub from Klipsch.  would a 12" sub probably make a ton more bass than my 8"?

I also thought about moving my SW-8 OUT of the wooden TV stand and putting it somewhere else int eh room.  I can even get a wireless kit if necessary and play around with where I position it int eh room. I was curious if you think that my Sub might work better if i moved it to a different spot in my family room.  My existing sub sounds awesome when I am in some parts of my family room, then it sounds wimpy and almost not there in other parts.  I can walk 8' away and the bass just drops off.. i walk another 8" to the far edge of the room and it booms again. I know this due to the bass waves being large and I have heard you get "dead spots" with subs.. but are they ALL like this, or is it worse with smaller ones?  If I upgraded to a 12" sub.. would I still get this same effect?  or would it be much less noticeable?  

I have seen halfway decent prices on used Klpsch subs on CL.  I'm sure I could find a used 12" synergy line sub for under $200.  i'm guessing that would outdo my 8"???  

they also make a wireless system for subs by rocket fish.. i could use something like that and move my sub all over the family room to try different positions and see how it affects bass...  any of you think that is a good idea to help produce more bass?  or do I just need a bigger sub?  

here is one small cable question - I also connected my sub using an old RCA plug.. it's a quality plug but not a "subwoofer" cable like some i"ve seen on the shelf at the store.  are those "sub" cables anything special that would help bass production or just marketing crap and my existing RCA cable is perfectly fine?

2) Adding Surround Sound / Center

I'm anxious to get a center channel and plug in rear surrounds. It would be fun to listen to movies and have all the channels going.  

Until I can afford better speakers, I'll just make due with what I have.  as far as stuff I have laying around the house / in the garage - I have some small bookshelf speakers that are old and nothing special but they work and I could hook them up.  here is a pic of what they look like..

I also have an old Panasonic HTIB that had several cheapo speakers.. I could use some of those as a center or rear surrounds.. Will it sound better / ok to have these running, even though they are not "matched" to the Klipsch speakers... and they are cheap - or will it degrade the experience?  just curious what you think??

3) Is my existing receiver sufficient as I upgrade to bigger/better Main speakers / center?!?

This just shows you that the bug has bit me already.. when I was at Fry's.. I went into their demo room where they had all the floor standers..they had the RF-42s up to the RF-82s...  I listened to the RF-62s.. which looked quite a bit bigger than my RF-15s...   the size difference is quite noticeable and I think the sound was better...more midrange punch...  so right away I catch myself thinking .. about how I could eventually upgrade to RF-62s for fronts or even RF-82s...  smile.gif  and then move my RF-15s the rears and use them as rear surrounds.  Would that work?  are RF-15s usable as rears??  and if I did that, will my existing receiver push all these speakers?  could my receiver push RF-62s up front, a RC-62 center, and my RF-15s to the rear and sound good?  or will it be too much for it and I am bound to need to upgrade the receiver???

I have 30 days to return the receiver...and if I am doomed to upgrade if/when I get bigger/better speakers.. I was tempted to either upgrade my receiver NOW and return this one.

one thing I noticed I didn't have as a connection on the rear of my receiver was a plug to install my sub.. meaning the power. so my sub is plugged into the wall and I have to turn it on/off separately.. instead of just plugging the sub into the back of the stereo and having it atomically come on when my recover turns on. that kind of bothered me.. maybe i'm just anal... i wanted the whole system to go on/ off at once..

also.. my apple tv plugs into the receiver.  if my tv turns off, the whole things turns off.  I was trying to just stream music to apple tv and listen to it via the receiver with the TV OFF but once I turn off the tV the whole system shuts off.  Is it supposed to do this??  I ran the apple TV HDMI from the Apple TV to the receiver.  the receiver has an HDMI output that goes to my TV.  is there a way to listen to music and NOT have to have my TV running? 

4) Wireless rear surround question

Whether I hook up my little cheap speakers as rears, or I eventually move my RF-15s to the rear - I was looking at wireless setups.. which would make it much easier to install, but how do you get adequate power to run the speakers if you don't have the receiver actually connected to them?  I can't imagine the rocket fish system has that much power???  maybe enough to run my little audio source crap speakers..but certainly not enough to run RF-15s to the rear???

5)  Should I use the YPAO setup or is that a gimmick?

I havne't tried this yet, and wondered if it would help?  with only left and right and a sub would it even do much??

THANK YOU!!

i know I"m written a ton, and asked a bunch of random questions.. i'm partially still really excited about my speakers and am just having fun sharing.. I'm sure you all know exactly how I am feeling.. it's great to be able to turn up the sound, and listen to great music.  I am the kind of person who loves music, I appreciate having a good system, and it's been way too long since I've had a half way decent system..

If you've read this far, thanks, and thank you for any advice, input you can give me for my questions and helping me make good decisions on how to setup my system, what will work, what won't, and what will give me the biggest bang for the buck!  

Thank you everyone!!
your welcome ,can you describe a bit more detail 23 lol no man i am just kidding with ya very nice of you to write about your speakers in such a happy way ....
enjoy
Reference_head's Avatar Reference_head 05:11 PM 03-23-2014
Quote:

I can only imagine if you went home shopping now.......

1 room for the reference HT
1 room for the heritage HT
1 room for 2 channel only

and all rooms with perfect corners! biggrin.gif

You read my mind lol smile.gif That would be impossible now with the soon to be wife. She would be part of the picking of the house we would buy. And even though I have her pretty hooked on this stuff. She would still want different things im sure. When I bought this house I went and looked at them alone. It was much easier to pick out a house that way. I think one big HT room in a new home would be victory. My heritage ht seems to fit well in are family room with it being a nice wood finish. They are big but add to the room imo. Not to long ago I didn't even like the look of these old style speakers at all. But they have grown on me a lot.
Tags: belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black
First ... 1139  1140  1141 1142  1143  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop