AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoJo View Post
personal conclusion: i would wait for yamaha/denon/marantz/pioneer atmos avr
FOR SURE. I'm already saving my shekels for the Denon AVR-X7200W!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37022 of 37896 Old 06-23-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 446
or NOT; depending...
post #37023 of 37896 Old 06-23-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
If the main speakers sound better into the room, then by all means do that! The AVR can compensate for a further-away center; usually the center is closer than the mains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post
I can't put the screen forward more bc its on the wall. And it's not acoustically transparent either. It would require significant time, effort and money to change my setup into an AT setup and that is not something I am willing to do in my current home. Hopefully in the next one I can plan and design a dedicated theater room.

The reason I want to move the speakers is that giving the LR rf-82 more room behind seems to give them a better response in the room. They sound more full and musical, I guess. More life, especially in the mid-range. Also, moving the speakers up more will give me room to run dual subs behind the current console which holds the equipment and center channel.

But I feel like doing that causes an issue with the sound and picture not quite meshing. It may be in my head, which is why I'm asking for opinions.

Secondary, side question - how important is it for the LR and C to be at the same distance? My avr does measure for distance. So if I keep the center channel back, but the LR are a foot forward or so, could that cause problems? Shouldn't the processor be able to adjust for that?

post #37024 of 37896 Old 06-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I use Google Now/Search for controlling my home via voice. On the HA server, I use code I wrote to naturally parse a spoken sentence (that's passed via a URL). The code I wrote is actually very generic and would work on other Premise installs too with little work. The problem is, only a handful of folks use Premise.

I can't wait for the new Moto 360 watch to be released so I can use it to control things with voice. Right now, it's too much work to take my phone out of my pocket when I want to control something, so often times I just use a customized handheld remotes.

Quote:
oh i thought it was you that had this little problem with the buzzing sound from the projector.. nevermind then. voltage-protection is good to have in the states, the power from mains is not that great at certain times i heared and not like here in netherlands filtered and stable as a rock without outages. i like authomation, my whole house is automated with z-wave and wifi controlled stuff. everything voice controlled also

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
post #37025 of 37896 Old 06-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?t=5753&p=21276

"The main benefit of AccuEQ is that it does not apply an Equalized effect to Front channels and Subwoofer. This allows the natural sound of your speakers to be heard while taking into consideration things such as room furnishings, speaker distance and speaker type."

Really? WTF Onkyo. Let's take the area where room correction can help the most (low frequencies), and not implement it. I really hope this moderator is wrong, but it appears he works for Onkyo... Other than that, the PR-SC5530 preamp looks interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
FOR SURE. I'm already saving my shekels for the Denon AVR-X7200W!

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
post #37026 of 37896 Old 06-23-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like Onkyo is dropping Audyssey Room Correction...iIrc, jdsmoothie said that in another thread...

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #37027 of 37896 Old 06-23-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post
I use Google Now/Search for controlling my home via voice. On the HA server, I use code I wrote to naturally parse a spoken sentence (that's passed via a URL). The code I wrote is actually very generic and would work on other Premise installs too with little work. The problem is, only a handful of folks use Premise.

I can't wait for the new Moto 360 watch to be released so I can use it to control things with voice. Right now, it's too much work to take my phone out of my pocket when I want to control something, so often times I just use a customized handheld remotes.
oh great ! i looked at ur program and it is very nice imho. it's just i put a lot of time in vera automation and it works pretty good, i don't want to fix something that ain't broken yet
there are other watches that use android and samsung is comming with a new one with camera and mic on it. the latest android version has ability to have the mic open all the time. things are looking to have taken off in the home automation market. i can remember the time there wheren't so many options and possibilities. really like to be able to implement everything i can think off in my home and it to work with a simple setup and not like it was with own written programs and stuff. like for example a nice doorbell with intercoms in z-wave version. i use a z-wave fibaro universal sensor for it now combined with a switch and a little custom code. i use NFC tag and voice control to open the front door, which is also nice but i want to speak to my door instead of the phone lol
oh and i forget my old tablet phone that i hung on the wall to use as a control for all this stuff. can also control things with the television built-in browser and wave with my hand to control the stuff. plenty of options, that's the great thing about it.

Klipsch RF-82-II 150W 33Hz-24KHz

Klipsch RC-64-II 200W 59Hz-24KHz

Klipsch RS-62-II 150W 50Hz-24KHz

Yamaha YST-SW800/1500 Subwoofers 1000W RMS 6 Ohm 18-170 hz

Yamaha RX-463 Amp 5x100W RMS

Monitor flatline 1.5mm pro wire

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

Last edited by DaJoJo; 06-23-2014 at 10:58 PM.
post #37028 of 37896 Old 06-23-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can't put the screen forward more bc its on the wall. And it's not acoustically transparent either. It would require significant time, effort and money to change my setup into an AT setup and that is not something I am willing to do in my current home. Hopefully in the next one I can plan and design a dedicated theater room.
The reason I want to move the speakers is that giving the LR rf-82 more room behind seems to give them a better response in the room. They sound more full and musical, I guess. More life, especially in the mid-range. Also, moving the speakers up more will give me room to run dual subs behind the current console which holds the equipment and center channel.
But I feel like doing that causes an issue with the sound and picture not quite meshing. It may be in my head, which is why I'm asking for opinions.
Secondary, side question - how important is it for the LR and C to be at the same distance? My avr does measure for distance. So if I keep the center channel back, but the LR are a foot forward or so, could that cause problems? Shouldn't the processor be able to adjust for that?
it is not a wise thing to put a sub behind a console, it is best to put the subs on both sidewalls in the middle. it is also not that important to have the LR in line with the center as there is this distance setting made for. placing the LR more to the front is probably a better idea then having the center in front of the LR imo.

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #37029 of 37896 Old 06-23-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post
http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?t=5753&p=21276

"The main benefit of AccuEQ is that it does not apply an Equalized effect to Front channels and Subwoofer. This allows the natural sound of your speakers to be heard while taking into consideration things such as room furnishings, speaker distance and speaker type."

Really? WTF Onkyo. Let's take the area where room correction can help the most (low frequencies), and not implement it. I really hope this moderator is wrong, but it appears he works for Onkyo... Other than that, the PR-SC5530 preamp looks interesting.
they prolly have their reasons for that. most good subs have their own dsp program also, so no sub correction from avr side is needed perse. the nice thing is that it leaves ur front stage not so eq'ed and tries to flatten the combined output of the speakers. if this is a better approach then audyssey is still to be doubted but they won't make this decision for no reason i guess. they have thx certification also.

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #37030 of 37896 Old 06-24-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post
Looks like Onkyo is dropping Audyssey Room Correction...iIrc, jdsmoothie said that in another thread...
won't be looking onkyo because of that mistake next time arround .they really are cheaping out with all
the features and weight of the product too .....marantz ,pioneer elite or an emotiva preamp .
post #37031 of 37896 Old 06-24-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanglo View Post
Got my Crites CS-1s up and running.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I've had a chance to break them in, graph their response, and EQ to taste.

Initial impression is positive, even though they don't sound anything like my other Klipsch speakers - yet.

Update: I've played these speakers a lot now, and I give them a big thumbs up with no complaints.

Initially I wasn't overly impressed or disappointed, and the room response confirmed that. Running them without EQ or Audyssey there was a noticeable mid peak (prob room related) that made the mids sound shouty, and the highs subdued. Another reason the highs sounded weak was because I was used the the the bright highs of my previous Klipsch speakers, where the CS-1 highs are more neutral. Low Bass is non existent, which isn't a concern since I have subs.

After EQ, the speakers sound great and well balanced. Audyssey is off, I've never like the sound after using any type of auto room correction. Audyssey Flat, is dull and lifeless, with too much mids especially for music for my taste.

Great for movies. These speaker have dynamic range beyond comfortable listening levels. Running them phantom center, and dialog comes through nicely.

Thanks Bob Crites!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crites CS-1.jpg (63.5 KB, 14 views)
Nima, psgcdn, Fastslappy and 1 others like this.

post #37032 of 37896 Old 06-24-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
won't be looking onkyo because of that mistake next time arround .they really are cheaping out with all
the features and weight of the product too .....marantz ,pioneer elite or an emotiva preamp .
Shame as they use to make good quality equipment. Emo pre/amp for HT and HD audio scares me some after their UMC-1 had so many issues.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100
post #37033 of 37896 Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
so ur not gonna shoot me anymore ?
life will be boring lol

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #37034 of 37896 Old 06-24-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
they prolly have their reasons for that. most good subs have their own dsp program also, so no sub correction from avr side is needed perse. the nice thing is that it leaves ur front stage not so eq'ed and tries to flatten the combined output of the speakers. if this is a better approach then audyssey is still to be doubted but they won't make this decision for no reason i guess. they have thx certification also.
Think about the ratio of AVR's sold to the number of subs sold with dsp. Now do you still think that most people do not need/want sub eq in the AVR?
I'm betting that the number of dsp subs is less than 1% of subs being used.
Schwa and psgcdn like this.
post #37035 of 37896 Old 06-24-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
Shame as they use to make good quality equipment. Emo pre/amp for HT and HD audio scares me some after their UMC-1 had so many issues.
Louis, I bought a used UMC-1 to try out of curiosity. I am not a proponent of all the RC programs in AVR's so the muck up in EMO-Q did not pose a problem for me. I quickly sold a Denon 4310 and kept the UMC.
I now have the UMC-200 and have compared it against Denon 4311 and 4520, Pioneer, Sony and Yamaha. The UMC ain't leaving.
The latest Emo-Q sounds as good as XT32 to me.
I get a lot of entertainment from the clowns who bash Emotiva in the amps forum then refuse to make a negative comment about how Onkyo has screwed so many customers for 4 or 5 years. Of course the bully always picks on the smaller victim and hides from the rest.
malmstump likes this.
post #37036 of 37896 Old 06-24-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Think about the ratio of AVR's sold to the number of subs sold with dsp. Now do you still think that most people do not need/want sub eq in the AVR?
+1. My SVS PC12-NSDs don't have built-in sub eq; certainly not all of SVS' offerings do. I don't think the majority of PSA subs, Hsu subs, or Rythmik subs do either.

Last edited by Schwa; 06-24-2014 at 08:19 PM.
post #37037 of 37896 Old 06-24-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
true.. i didn't think they don't need it, just saying it is not perse a need. for avr manifacturers it would be a good thing to have sub eq indeed.

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #37038 of 37896 Old 06-25-2014, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Louis, I bought a used UMC-1 to try out of curiosity. I am not a proponent of all the RC programs in AVR's so the muck up in EMO-Q did not pose a problem for me. I quickly sold a Denon 4310 and kept the UMC.
I now have the UMC-200 and have compared it against Denon 4311 and 4520, Pioneer, Sony and Yamaha. The UMC ain't leaving.
The latest Emo-Q sounds as good as XT32 to me.
I get a lot of entertainment from the clowns who bash Emotiva in the amps forum then refuse to make a negative comment about how Onkyo has screwed so many customers for 4 or 5 years. Of course the bully always picks on the smaller victim and hides from the rest.
Glad to read you have a UMC that works without switching issues. My neighbor purchased a UMC-1 back when they were new on the market and his was a nightmare with firmware and switching issues. He sent it back after 3 weeks of switching problems and so many phone calls to Emo. I got a bad Onkyo TX-SR805 back in 2008 it spent more time in the shop then it did in my HT room. I just added a mint used Hafler P3000 Pro 2 channel amp 150X2 to my Yamaha AVR to run my Cornwall fronts for my 5.2 HT system. WOW it is quiet, no hum or any issues from adaptors for balanced TRS/XLR to RCA. I noticed my AVR runs cooler now with only 3 of it's 7 amps being used now. I only paid $125.00 for it from a friend of mine and I thought if it did not mate up with my AVR I could sell on Ebay for a profit.
http://www.hafler.com/products/hafle...=3273&viewId=3

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100
post #37039 of 37896 Old 06-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, some subs do have great room calibration. The problem is how many of them allow two subs to work together like XT32 with the SubEQ HT dual sub option. Imagine, you set one sub up and it improves the amplitude at some frequency, only to have the second sub negate the change! This is entirely possible when we rely on the room calibration built into each individual sub, and why the idea will never work for true HT junkies who demand dual subs to help tame room modes.

The work around of course is to use a Y adapter with some sort of external room correction option and calibrate both subs from the same output. This is not as elegant as what Audyssey does, and setting the signal delay and level for each sub individually does have value.

Of course, I'm not saying you couldn't get close to the same result with YPAO or Emo Q, assuming each sub lets you adjust delay and not just level, but there is definitely value added with Audyssey when you compare it to options that don't calibrate subs individually. Plus there's the Audyssey pro kit option, which has value too.

Last edited by etc6849; 06-25-2014 at 06:15 PM.
post #37040 of 37896 Old 06-25-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone remind me of what a Y adapter does to the sound level, please.
Louis Bartay and DaJoJo like this.
post #37041 of 37896 Old 06-26-2014, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post
Someone remind me of what a Y adapter does to the sound level, please.
It just splits the SUB OUT into two identical signals.
post #37042 of 37896 Old 06-26-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Anyone in the DC area in the market for a used RF-7 II home theater system?

I'm selling mine before I go overseas.

Check out the classifieds or shoot me a PM.

Thinking about rocking a Jubilee L/C/R with the TD 4002 upgrade when I get back to the states in a few years. Don't want these guys chilling in storage the whole time.

post #37043 of 37896 Old 06-26-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Anyone in the DC area in the market for a used RF-7 II home theater system?
I'm selling mine before I go overseas.
Check out the classifieds or shoot me a PM.
Thinking about rocking a Jubilee L/C/R with the TD 4002 upgrade when I get back to the states in a few years. Don't want these guys chilling in storage the whole time.
a lot of people hate to see u leave the US
so what ur gonna do with ur basement, u take all of ur stuff with you ?
if ur moving to the EU, please feel free to visit me

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #37044 of 37896 Old 06-26-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

so i was looking to buy a new sub and asked some info from svs and this is what they mailed me:
Hi Johan,

Thanks for contacting SVS!

On an absolute basis, the PC13-Ultra will outperform even a pair of PC12-NSD. Very strong sub! Having said that, dual subs have an intrinsic advantage in addressing a room's standing waves/modes so the pair of PC12-NSD can be preferable in many cases.

How big is the room, Johan, and are you using a subwoofer now?

Since you're in the Netherlands, L-Sound will be happy to help!

L-Sound
Bedriftsveien 14
4841 Arendal
Phone: +47 377 11 333
Email: sales@lsound.no

Jack Gilvey
Senior Customer Service Associate
SVS
Customer Service:
custservice@svsound.com
(877) 626-5623 (toll-free)
Direct:
jackg@svsound.com
703-436-1464 (office)
703-997-2603 (e-fax)

i asked them what difference it would make for me to get a pb13 ultra vs pc13 ultra besides that it goes lower in hz. still have to hear from them. think im going to get one soon as lsound has free shipping now till 30 june and we all know how much these things weight lol.
edit : they are fast !
Hi Johan,

The PC13-Ultra is very similar in overall performance to the PB13-Ultra - they share the same amp, driver and porting. The PB13U does have a larger enclosure volume by about 1 ft^3, which gives is a slight edge in max output over the PC13U, but it's more measureable than audible and we usually advise customers to select the form factor they personally prefer and whichever best fits into their available space and décor.
Either will work extremely well in a room that size and will be a huge upgrade from the YST-SW800 - not even close!

Jack Gilvey
Senior Customer Service Associate

i guess they don't like my yammie as much as i do lol
i like the PC13U better coz of the shape and footprint, it be easier to tune in also. i guess i be having that one then, unless someone can tell me there is a real benefit in having a PB13U.

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

Last edited by DaJoJo; 06-26-2014 at 06:59 AM.
post #37045 of 37896 Old 06-26-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
a lot of people hate to see u leave the US
so what ur gonna do with ur basement, u take all of ur stuff with you ?
if ur moving to the EU, please feel free to visit me
Thanks man!

Well, I am trying to offload pretty much everything but my "sub"stantial investment in bass. All of my subs, except for my 24's will be hanging out in storage until I get back to the states in a few years.

I'll be heading to Qatar, so it's only a 7 hour flight to Amsterdam... Might have to take you up on that!

post #37046 of 37896 Old 06-26-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks man!
Well, I am trying to offload pretty much everything but my "sub"stantial investment in bass. All of my subs, except for my 24's will be hanging out in storage until I get back to the states in a few years.
I'll be heading to Qatar, so it's only a 7 hour flight to Amsterdam... Might have to take you up on that!
it must be a pain to move all stuff, but i guess its for a good cause. good thing u keep those subs , a lot of work to build these subs and all the time spend on it wouldn't want to throw that to waste.
only 7 hours lol. man, ur most welcome and i will give you a nice tour around here so you can see all the nice aspects and noteworthy spots here in the netherlands. lemme know in advance so i can clean up and give you a place to stay here

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #37047 of 37896 Old 06-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Thanks man!

Hey man,

I'm the one that posted in your classifieds. What are you going to do in Qatar? A good friend of mine is moving out there now too, and I might be in a year or two (still not sure). Have you visited yet?

Any idea what the home theater scene is like there?

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #37048 of 37896 Old 06-26-2014, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
And if you need somewhere to store a couple subs while you're gone...

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
post #37049 of 37896 Old 06-26-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey man,

I'm the one that posted in your classifieds. What are you going to do in Qatar? A good friend of mine is moving out there now too, and I might be in a year or two (still not sure). Have you visited yet?

Any idea what the home theater scene is like there?
Spend your tax dollars... Carefully and thoughtfully of course.

Theater scene... Hum, well if you make it out there, two is company. We need one more for a party.

I'll make something out of it.

post #37050 of 37896 Old 06-26-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Spend your tax dollars... Carefully and thoughtfully of course.
Theater scene... Hum, well if you make it out there, two is company. We need one more for a party.
I'll make something out of it.
Mannai Corp near ramada signal sells klipsch speakers and are authorised dealer in qatar dohu

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

Reply Speakers

Tags
Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Audio , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page