AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Klipsch owner thread

Speakers

Teremei's Avatar Teremei
02:31 PM Liked: 143
post #37711 of 40466
08-13-2014 | Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post
I didnt have those, but I had KS-14's with the 4" driver and they struggled quite a bit to keep up on loud sceenes.
I would step up to atleast a 5.25" driver if you are using for surrounds.
Thank you for saying this right after I ordered surrounds with 2 4" drivers. I just put Mike through trouble and canceled my order. Sticking with the polks for awhile I guess.
PM-Performance's Avatar PM-Performance
02:49 PM Liked: 110
post #37712 of 40466
08-13-2014 | Posts: 852
Sorry man. Maybe the 42's would be better, but I didnt think the 4" drivers were enough. Just too small even crossed over higher for the ones I had.
My 52's seem to be holding up significantly better.
Teremei's Avatar Teremei
03:01 PM Liked: 143
post #37713 of 40466
Quote:
Sorry man. Maybe the 42's would be better, but I didnt think the 4" drivers were enough. Just too small even crossed over higher for the ones I had.
My 52's seem to be holding up significantly better.
Yeah unforunately they are much much bigger than my polk t15s. In order to get similar sized woofers with klipsch surrounds or bookshelves I have to double the size or even more if I want to switch to klipsch. And I am already very close to the rears with limited space.

I did already have some reservation about jumping down to 4" from 5 1/2". I'm just gonna stick with the polks for awhile. If Klipsch ever releases some surrounds with 5 1/2" woofers and they aren't too big then I might go for it. I'm not mad bro, in a way you probably saved me $400 with only minor improvements to surround sound.

I'll just move my polks up higher to see if I can remove some of the directionality I'm getting.
03:47 PM Liked: 110
post #37714 of 40466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
Yeah unforunately they are much much bigger than my polk t15s. In order to get similar sized woofers with klipsch surrounds or bookshelves I have to double the size or even more if I want to switch to klipsch. And I am already very close to the rears with limited space.

I did already have some reservation about jumping down to 4" from 5 1/2". I'm just gonna stick with the polks for awhile. If Klipsch ever releases some surrounds with 5 1/2" woofers and they aren't too big then I might go for it. I'm not mad bro, in a way you probably saved me $400 with only minor improvements to surround sound.

I'll just move my polks up higher to see if I can remove some of the directionality I'm getting.
Why not 52's?
Kini62's Avatar Kini62
04:28 PM Liked: 424
post #37715 of 40466
08-13-2014 | Posts: 3,334
Quote:

The RS42s would be plenty, especially since you're sitting close to them. I have the version 1 (essentially) and they work just fine. My room is not very big though.
Teremei's Avatar Teremei
05:23 PM Liked: 143
post #37716 of 40466
Quote:
Why not 52's?
because I am 2 feet away from the left surround and they would also look ugly because of how big they are compared to my tiny space to put them in. The reason I wanted the 41s was basically it wasn't a large investment and they would look great in the spot I have them in, and to timbre match my front klipsch soundstage.
Teremei's Avatar Teremei
05:26 PM Liked: 143
post #37717 of 40466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
The RS42s would be plenty, especially since you're sitting close to them. I have the version 1 (essentially) and they work just fine. My room is not very big though.
If the 42s would be plenty so would the 41s. But I decided not to go for it now, maybe later when I feel like I want to spend $250 just to have Klipsch all the way around. I'm not sure how much better 41s would sound than the polks any way. Maybe not even worth the investment. Klipsch are no doubt more clear than polks. But I don't want to go from 5.5" woofer bookshelfs to 4.0" woofer surrounds. The 5.5 sized ones Klipsch have are just too big for my space, so keeping the polks right now is probably the best choice.

If Klipsch offered free shipping both ways so I could trail them for 30 days without worry it would be a different story. But they don't so it's like you have to gamble that they will even sound better than what you have.
05:30 PM Liked: 110
post #37718 of 40466
Crutchfield offers that I think, and they have the other model 42's for pretty cheap. (whatever the rebranded last gen was)
Something to think about.

I learned HT is all about sacrifice. lol I have changed soo much stuff soo many times in the last year alone. Its tiring, but the end result always gets better. I have been rearanging my spaces and creating new spaces for things I never thought I would have room for. I been in the house for 10 yrs and always wanted the basement to be a theater area, but never thought it would work. I have learned alot on being creative from seeing peoples spaces on these forums.
psgcdn's Avatar psgcdn
06:11 PM Liked: 258
post #37719 of 40466
08-13-2014 | Posts: 4,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
I called Klipsch today and they said underpowering the speaker will make the woofer take most of the juice leaving the tweeter to struggle. It will sound the same but have more distortion. They said the tweeter could be breaking and I wouldn't know it until it stops working. Giving them the correct amount of power will insure the longevity of the speaker.
I am sorry, but that doesn't make any sense to me...
psgcdn's Avatar psgcdn
06:14 PM Liked: 258
post #37720 of 40466
08-13-2014 | Posts: 4,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
Hmmm...A speaker that is distorting doesn't sound the same as one that's not.

If I were you I would play some material at as loud of volume you want to listen and use an SPL meter to register what that level is....If you hook up the amp and then play the same material to the level you want and it has a higher SPL then you would want to keep the amp and decide how to fix your hum problem. My 2 cents.

{Note: Most people drive the speakers you have with AVRs and there hasn't been many (I remember one in the last several years and that may not have been power related) reports of tweeters being blown.}
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Interesting. I watched a movie last night at about as loud as I normally do and it sounded great with just the AV powering the speaker. I even had the crossover set to 40hz and played some 7 channel stereo music, went back and forth and heard no difference between the AVR and the amp. Speaker sounds great and had plenty of bass.
Then it doesn't sound like you need the amp... specially if it hisses more than the AVR at similar gains.
cchunter's Avatar cchunter
07:04 PM Liked: 558
post #37721 of 40466
08-13-2014 | Posts: 1,449
Quote:
because I am 2 feet away from the left surround and they would also look ugly because of how big they are compared to my tiny space to put them in. The reason I wanted the 41s was basically it wasn't a large investment and they would look great in the spot I have them in, and to timbre match my front klipsch soundstage.
My RS62II's are 2 ft away from my ears and 1-2 ft above them. They are very close and not aimed downward aimed at me. They shoot over my head to the left and right of me. They work great. Although I have them turned down to 70db's per my SPL meter because they are so close.
sikclown's Avatar sikclown
07:09 PM Liked: 296
post #37722 of 40466
08-13-2014 | Posts: 1,294
I just replaced my C-20 center with an RC-62II to pair better with my F-30s. It is like hearing sound for the first time! I feel this year will be very expensive in the A/V upgrade category... Who needs to eat anyway?
retro124's Avatar retro124
07:33 PM Liked: 244
post #37723 of 40466
08-13-2014 | Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
I just replaced my C-20 center with an RC-62II to pair better with my F-30s. It is like hearing sound for the first time! I feel this year will be very expensive in the A/V upgrade category... Who needs to eat anyway?
I come from C-2 to RC-62II 8 months ago it is a huge a mean huge step up in HT set up!!
SanchoPanza's Avatar SanchoPanza
07:33 PM Liked: 475
post #37724 of 40466
08-13-2014 | Posts: 3,011
^^^ Craig's List
Teremei's Avatar Teremei
07:45 PM Liked: 143
post #37725 of 40466
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
My RS62II's are 2 ft away from my ears and 1-2 ft above them. They are very close and not aimed downward aimed at me. They shoot over my head to the left and right of me. They work great. Although I have them turned down to 70db's per my SPL meter because they are so close.
Right. I even have to turn my LR polk down to get a bit more blended surround. I just feel I don't want to spend that much upgrading if it's really not gonna be very noticeable upgrade.

Now when I bought the center and floors and sold my old polks for $300. That was a huge upgrade. Opened up the soundtrack with such clarity and power. When I opted to try and keep the x4000, that was a huge upgrade. Blended the soundtrack more pure and straight then I'd ever heard it before.

Just don't want to pay $600 for the surrounds. Maybe I should invest some time in an SPL meter and REW software and all that people here are always talking about. I will probably get more "gains" using my polk surrounds instead of spending $600 on klipsch surrounds.
08:11 PM Liked: 110
post #37726 of 40466
Quote:
Right. I even have to turn my LR polk down to get a bit more blended surround. I just feel I don't want to spend that much upgrading if it's really not gonna be very noticeable upgrade.

Now when I bought the center and floors and sold my old polks for $300. That was a huge upgrade. Opened up the soundtrack with such clarity and power. When I opted to try and keep the x4000, that was a huge upgrade. Blended the soundtrack more pure and straight then I'd ever heard it before.

Just don't want to pay $600 for the surrounds. Maybe I should invest some time in an SPL meter and REW software and all that people here are always talking about. I will probably get more "gains" using my polk surrounds instead of spending $600 on klipsch surrounds.
Don't you need a dsp of some sorts to really make use of rew?
Taking measurements is one thing, but you need something to boost and cut at whatever freqs needed no?
08:15 PM Liked: 244
post #37727 of 40466
08-13-2014 | Posts: 1,240
Quote:

I never hear Polk T15s but I can guarantee Klipsch RS-52II or RS-62II are huge step up from Klipsch S-2 what I have before and I think it is worth $$$.
Sound all just so much better.
Teremei's Avatar Teremei
10:10 PM Liked: 143
post #37728 of 40466
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
I never hear Polk T15s but I can guarantee Klipsch RS-52II or RS-62II are huge step up from Klipsch S-2 what I have before and I think it is worth $$$.
Sound all just so much better.
Well the S-2 has a 5.25 inch woofer so that's exactly what I hope they make a new surround like that maybe a reference III. And I would hope those are a huge step up. They are $600 or $800 a pair for surround speakers. Dude I only paid $650 for my damn floor speakers, lol. I just don't have the budget for that. I am here debating whether to switch from 5.25" woofer bookshelf polks to 4" woofer bipole Klipsch. I think the answer for that is no.

But if they do ever make a new surround that has 2 horns and 1 woofer and that woofer is 5.25" I would go for it. Yours and my budget are just not the same. We are both Klipsch and SVS fans I think, we share some similar equipment, but I'm going for the cheap best bang for your buck route.

By the way, how far are the RS-52 II away from where you usually sit?
cchunter's Avatar cchunter
02:36 AM Liked: 558
post #37729 of 40466
08-14-2014 | Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Well the S-2 has a 5.25 inch woofer so that's exactly what I hope they make a new surround like that maybe a reference III. And I would hope those are a huge step up. They are $600 or $800 a pair for surround speakers. Dude I only paid $650 for my damn floor speakers, lol. I just don't have the budget for that. I am here debating whether to switch from 5.25" woofer bookshelf polks to 4" woofer bipole Klipsch. I think the answer for that is no.

But if they do ever make a new surround that has 2 horns and 1 woofer and that woofer is 5.25" I would go for it. Yours and my budget are just not the same. We are both Klipsch and SVS fans I think, we share some similar equipment, but I'm going for the cheap best bang for your buck route.

Ok why did you cancel your order? Cuz PM said the 5.25inch driver is better? Ofc it's better but you have a budget remember. You have a small room and quite frankly the RS41II's are a perfect match for your setup and will fit perfectly in the spot you want them. The Polkies aren't matched. Get back on the phone and order the damn 41II's and be done with it. Surrounds aren't that big of a deal in a system especially in a small room like yours but matching the same series will improve your overall experience.
Teremei's Avatar Teremei
03:05 AM Liked: 143
post #37730 of 40466
08-14-2014 | Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Ok why did you cancel your order? Cuz PM said the 5.25inch driver is better? Ofc it's better but you have a budget remember. You have a small room and quite frankly the RS41II's are a perfect match for your setup and will fit perfectly in the spot you want them. The Polkies aren't matched. Get back on the phone and order the damn 41II's and be done with it. Surrounds aren't that big of a deal in a system especially in a small room like yours but matching the same series will improve your overall experience.
Well I canceled because Mike said the 41 would radiate all of the sound forward because of the front facing woofer on the 41. So I quickly chose the 42 but had a change of heart due to size/money. I was ready to spend $250 on the 41s. Had second thoughts on the $360 42s. Is it true the 41would radiate all of the sound directly forward? Wouldn't the 2 angled tweeters make it at least a little diffuse? Also I would be downgrading from a 5.25 woofer to a 4" one. There's that too.
05:37 AM Liked: 244
post #37731 of 40466
08-14-2014 | Posts: 1,240
Quote:

I know budget is issue for many of us I'm one of them. I try always get the best I can. I will not give a big hope for new Reference because if your budget is limited they maybe will do bigger woofer like 5.25 like you want but new Line prices will be MSRP or very close to that because it will be new line and all retailers will put current reference line on sale if they will have any left. So waiting for a new line and then hoping for great deal can be a long run. I love dipole surrounds I will try to look at used pair of RS-52II's. I specially then new line will come out you can get RS-52II's for less then now and you have a time to safe a little.
I have them 2-3 feet from MLP. If I will tell you how much i paid for my RF-82II's and RC-62II's you will flip over.

I just checked Klipsch.com so even RS-42II's will match nice your speakers and if your room is not big and you sitting close to them they will maybe be good. Don't forget now you have 5.25 singe driver with 1 horn , those are 2 speakers 2 horns and that is definitely big plus.
ClawAndTalon's Avatar ClawAndTalon
06:39 AM Liked: 158
post #37732 of 40466
08-14-2014 | Posts: 598
Quote:
If the 42s would be plenty so would the 41s. But I decided not to go for it now, maybe later when I feel like I want to spend $250 just to have Klipsch all the way around. I'm not sure how much better 41s would sound than the polks any way. Maybe not even worth the investment. Klipsch are no doubt more clear than polks. But I don't want to go from 5.5" woofer bookshelfs to 4.0" woofer surrounds. The 5.5 sized ones Klipsch have are just too big for my space, so keeping the polks right now is probably the best choice.

If Klipsch offered free shipping both ways so I could trail them for 30 days without worry it would be a different story. But they don't so it's like you have to gamble that they will even sound better than what you have.

"If the 42s would be plenty so would the 41s."

What leads you to that conclusion? I'd beg to differ. The RS 42s have more range below 80hz which is where you'd be setting them. Actually, if I were thinking the RS 41 II, I'd just get the RB 41 II book shelf and save even more money.

"But I decided not to go for it now, maybe later when I feel like I want to spend $250 just to have Klipsch all the way around. I'm not sure how much better 41s would sound than the polks any way."

You'd have more than just mere brand satisfaction, you'd get better voice match, and smoother transition. If you had some really nice Polk Dipoles then I'd agree that it might not change much. The problem with having different brands is the voice match isn't the same when dialouge changes to the surrounds, and James Earl Jones changes to Mike Tyson, then back to James, and then back to Mike again. Now, I'm not saying your set up is this bad, but having identical voice matched speakers eliminates this. However, if you've got really nice surrounds of any brand you usually won't have this issue.

"Maybe not even worth the investment. Klipsch are no doubt more clear than polks. But I don't want to go from 5.5" woofer bookshelfs to 4.0" woofer surrounds."

Why do you think this will matter? There are Totem book shelfs with 4" drivers that are amazingly loud with great extension. My point is driver size doesn't always tell you much.

"If Klipsch offered free shipping both ways so I could trail them for 30 days without worry it would be a different story. But they don't so it's like you have to gamble that they will even sound better than what you have."

Crutchfield's return policy is 10$ per box with a 60 day return policy. That would be $20 bucks for RS 42IIs or $10 for RB 41 IIs which I think is certainly less of a gamble.
Zen Traveler's Avatar Zen Traveler
08:13 AM Liked: 374
post #37733 of 40466
08-14-2014 | Posts: 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post
I am sorry, but that doesn't make any sense to me...
Fwiw I was trying to be diplomatic in my response to the OP but this and his (PSG) following comment was what I was trying to covey--Thanks for clearing that up. :-)

I was also pointing out that using an SPL meter to find the exact level he was listening/comparing could be useful, especially for those that enjoy an adult beverage or live in Colorado and/or perceptions change with mood or atmosphere.
08:36 AM Liked: 374
post #37734 of 40466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
There is another series that will be released by the end of this year,,,.

That said, I'm not getting this vibe from my sources, but stay tuned. Moreover, besides Pioneer, who else is doing 'reflected' Atmos speaker designs specifically for Atmos? (Assuming this is what you meant by 'specialized.')...
I just saw this posted on the Dolby Atmos thread so I am guessing that Klipsch will announce a similar timbre matched Atmos speaker to go on top of our RF-7s soon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKTexan View Post
...Not sure if this was taken from the same demo Keith recently attended?
Keith, Scott, Sanjay, Filmixer and many others have provided valuable information and insight into what I hope will prove to be a huge step up from TrueHD and DTS HD master audio, thank you to all who have posted.

ClawAndTalon's Avatar ClawAndTalon
08:41 AM Liked: 158
post #37735 of 40466
08-14-2014 | Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
I just saw this posted on the Dolby Atmos thread so I am guessing that Klipsch will announce a similar timbre matched Atmos speaker to go on top of our RF-7s soon:

I've just dug into this and was basically told that Klipsch WILL have Atmos gear by the end of this year or Q1 2015.

That's all I could get out of him.
Reference_head's Avatar Reference_head
04:58 PM Liked: 715
post #37736 of 40466
08-14-2014 | Posts: 2,014
Had some grills made for my KPT-904s by a guy over at klipsch.com forum (Jason str). Dude did an amazing job
Attached: DSCN0788.jpg (163.7 KB)  DSCN0773.jpg (157.8 KB) 
ceptorman's Avatar ceptorman
05:25 PM Liked: 113
post #37737 of 40466
08-14-2014 | Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post
Had some grills made for my KPT-904s by a guy over at klipsch.com forum (Jason str). Dude did an amazing job
Congrats….those look awesome.
mgrotel's Avatar mgrotel
05:40 PM Liked: 32
post #37738 of 40466
08-14-2014 | Posts: 653
Anyone know where I can find frequency response graphs and/or measurements for the KF-28 towers and KC-25 center?

Thanks.
SydBarrett's Avatar SydBarrett
06:08 PM Liked: 14
post #37739 of 40466
08-14-2014 | Posts: 55
What is the general consensus on mixing speakers within a particular line, say, rf3s for fronts, rc35 for center and rf15s for the rear backs and rs35s for the side surrounds?

Im assuming mixing the kg .2 line with the .5 line is totally acceptable?
06:57 PM Liked: 374
post #37740 of 40466
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydBarrett View Post
What is the general consensus on mixing speakers within a particular line, say, rf3s for fronts, rc35 for center and rf15s for the rear backs and rs35s for the side surrounds?

Im assuming mixing the kg .2 line with the .5 line is totally acceptable?
That should work nicely, but if you could find the RC-3 to match your RF-3s that would be the hot ticket.
Tags: belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread