Klipsch owner thread - Page 1261 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #37801 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Speaking of 7.2. Which speaker position would give me the most gains from 5.1? I mean what type do they usually recommend when moving from 5.1 to 7.1?

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #37802 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,265
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
Speaking of 7.2. Which speaker position would give me the most gains from 5.1? I mean what type do they usually recommend when moving from 5.1 to 7.1?
I talked few people about it recently from Klipsch and Audyssey and they said the front wides are way to go over front height or rear surrounds. I'm personaly not sure if I will prefer it like this. I will love rear surrounds and then I'm going in future to get RB-81II and will try them wides or height and will see.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
retro124 is online now  
post #37803 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
I would likely only buy them if they were atmos enabled. It would def take something that was a significant improvement for me to give up what I have now because I absolutely love what I have now.

But if Klipsch ever did make Atmos speakers so I could save the trouble of mounting 4 speakers to the wall? You bet I'd highly consider it!

Since I just laid down $1000 for the x4000, I'm not going to be getting the x4100 any time soon. It would be different if I hadn't upgraded recently. But I am def gonna keep an eye on the atmos market, especially to see if Klipsch does something with it. Until then, crystal clear 5.2 or 7.2 with klipsch horns is keeping me satisfied.
Given everything you've said and that you do have a nice system I wouldn't consider Atmos for your setup until others find out how beneficial it is...Keep in mind not only extra speakers but a new AVR would need to be purchased and putting Atmos speakers on the wall seems to not be recommended for that purpose.
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #37804 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
I talked few people about it recently from Klipsch and Audyssey and they said the front wides are way to go over front height or rear surrounds. I'm personaly not sure if I will prefer it like this. I will love rear surrounds and then I'm going in future to get RB-81II and will try them wides or height and will see.
I also have seen where Audyssey (Chris K) recommends what you reported above, but having kept up with the Audyssey thread since it's inception found that just as many, if not more appreciate adding Height speakers and using the Dolby PLIIx/z settings instead of wides...It is also room dependent...Iow, I couldn't accommodate wides and after experimenting with Audyssey DSX compared to Dolby PLIIz, I greatly prefer the latter.

Insofar as rears are concerned, again, Audyssey stated in the beginning that those should be considered last and aren't as beneficial as the front and wides but in our home theater I strongly disagree. My rears are about 8 ft behind our LP with sides surrounds parallel to it making a "9.2" (actually it's a 9.1, using two subs).--Using direct firing speakers in the SS/Rear locations I love the way 5.1 material is matrixed into the side and rear soundfeilds and radiating towards the LP, instead of it being localized and/or dispersed from 2 peakers; That said, we use the WDST speakers in our Bedroom in a 5.0 configuration and they work really well.

Also gleaming from the various Atmos threads it seems that Wides won't be as beneficial in that format and the advantage is going to be in the vertical plane....Dunno but will wait to hear/see other peoples experiences.

EDIT: For those interested here is where I got the last bit of info regarding Wides in use for Atmos, but if you follow the discussion from there will see there is some discrepancy:

Dolby Demos Atmos for Cinema and Home

Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson

Interestingly, if you have a 9.1 system with front wide speakers, the new expansion algorithm won't include those two channels. According to Dolby, this was a conscious decision in order not to smear the front soundstage.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 08-17-2014 at 09:41 AM. Reason: added information and a link
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #37805 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,265
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
I also have seen where Audyssey (Chris K) recommends what you reported above, but having kept up with the Audyssey thread since it's inception found that just as many, if not more appreciate adding Height speakers and using the Dolby PLIIx/z settings instead of wides...It is also room dependent...Iow, I couldn't accommodate wides and after experimenting with Audyssey DSX compared to Dolby PLIIz, I greatly prefer the latter.

Insofar as rears are concerned, again, Audyssey stated in the beginning that those should be considered last and aren't as beneficial as the front and wides but in our home theater I strongly disagree. My rears are about 8 ft behind our LP with sides surrounds parallel to it making a "9.2" (actually it's a 9.1, using two subs).--Using direct firing speakers in the SS/Rear locations I love the way 5.1 material is matrixed into the side and rear soundfeilds and radiating towards the LP, instead of it being localized and/or dispersed from 2 peakers; That said, we use the WDST speakers in our Bedroom in a 5.0 configuration and they work really well.

Also gleaming from the various Atmos threads it seems that Wides won't be as beneficial in that format and the advantage is going to be in the vertical plane....Dunno but will wait to hear/see other peoples experiences.
Oh yes I agree with you it is why RB-81II will be great buy you I can use them as heights or wides or even rear surrounds. It is correct each room is different and not all position of speakers will fit. I dont have a room for rear surrounds so heights or wides will be way to go for now.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
retro124 is online now  
post #37806 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
....Since I just laid down $1000 for the x4000, I'm not going to be getting the x4100 any time soon. It would be different if I hadn't upgraded recently. But I am def gonna keep an eye on the atmos market, especially to see if Klipsch does something with it. Until then, crystal clear 5.2 or 7.2 with klipsch horns is keeping me satisfied.
I see you found one of the Atmos Threads. Seriously, if you are budget conscious I would be happy with what you have, as well as follow those threads for information. Imo, KBarnes gave you the best information over there and my guess is to "upgrade" what you have would cost at least twice as much money as you've already spent...That said, it will be interesting to know if Klipsch is going to release upfiring speaker modules and how big they are going to be; Possibly a family of them with different widths to go on either the smaller Reference speakers or larger ones that would fit on top of the RF-7IIs.

Given what other speaker companies have done, an Atmos version of the RF-7s with upfiring speaker module intact would be an interesting BEAST....As I typed that out I also feel a new version of the RB-75 (larger driver for the horn than the current RB-81) with an Atmos upfiring speaker may be more cost effective for consumers especially given more people are running dual subs. My 2 cents.
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #37807 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reference_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
Speaking of 7.2. Which speaker position would give me the most gains from 5.1? I mean what type do they usually recommend when moving from 5.1 to 7.1?
I would agree with some of the other posts that your room/set up will be the biggest factor to what would work best. My room is set up perfect for rears but not so much for wides and heights. Because of that rears are the best. If someones lp is against a wall then rears would probably not be a nice as one of the other two.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
Reference_head is online now  
post #37808 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 143
yes I'm against the wall and the front speakers are already near the side walls. I see wides are supposed to be a bit closer to you so that wouldn't work. There is a lot of room above the TV though and slightly to the side of each front speaker. I think I could do something with 2 bookshelves on the front wall but I'm curious if I go with front heights about where should they be located in relation to the middle of the TV and the fronts?

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #37809 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
... I'm curious if I go with front heights about where should they be located in relation to the middle of the TV and the fronts?
They would go above or to the outside of your Mains and tilted towards the LP.
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #37810 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cchunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
yes I'm against the wall and the front speakers are already near the side walls. I see wides are supposed to be a bit closer to you so that wouldn't work. There is a lot of room above the TV though and slightly to the side of each front speaker. I think I could do something with 2 bookshelves on the front wall but I'm curious if I go with front heights about where should they be located in relation to the middle of the TV and the fronts?
Your room is like mine where I'm basically sitting on the back wall. If I ever decide to take the plunge to 7.1 it would have to be front heights but with the 7II's and 64II only eight ft in front of me I'm not so sure that I would benefit from heights. Very little I'm guessing then again I maybe wrong so that's another what if lol. I hate what ifs!

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
cchunter is offline  
post #37811 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Ya know, I went over to the Klipsch Forum to see if anyone was talking about Dolby Atmos and was surprised no one really talking about current Klipsch speakers at all--.Most discussions seemed about OT material, garage sale and (non-klipsch) crossover upgrades....
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #37812 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reference_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Your room is like mine where I'm basically sitting on the back wall. If I ever decide to take the plunge to 7.1 it would have to be front heights but with the 7II's and 64II only eight ft in front of me I'm not so sure that I would benefit from heights. Very little I'm guessing then again I maybe wrong so that's another what if lol. I hate what ifs!
I think I would want something like the rb75s up front. Im sure the 81s would/do sound great. But I'm thinking the 75s would be an even better match for the 7s.
cchunter likes this.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
Reference_head is online now  
post #37813 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Your room is like mine where I'm basically sitting on the back wall. If I ever decide to take the plunge to 7.1 it would have to be front heights but with the 7II's and 64II only eight ft in front of me I'm not so sure that I would benefit from heights. Very little I'm guessing then again I maybe wrong so that's another what if lol. I hate what ifs!
I actually may go in the other direction and take my Height speakers down to see if I'd miss 'em--The best thing I've ever heard is folks seemed to notice when they were gone... I also may try a pair of RS-7s or RS-3s up there but Audyssey recommends direct firing speakers--Then again, I don't use Audyssey DSX and definitely prefer Dolby PLIIz .

The reason I may consider that is that the latter uses side surround information while DSX uses what is being sent to the Mains.
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #37814 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cchunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post
I think I would want something like the rb75s up front. Im sure the 81s would/do sound great. But I'm thinking the 75s would be an even better match for the 7s.
I totally agree with you. They have the 1.75 inch tweeter like the 7II's and the 64II. The problem is they are very hard to find and when you do find them they are really expensive considering they are used and were made 8-11 yrs ago.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
cchunter is offline  
post #37815 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cchunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
I actually may go in the other direction and take my Height speakers down to see if I'd miss 'em--The best thing I've ever heard is folks seemed to notice when they were gone... I also may try a pair of RS-7s or RS-3s up there but Audyssey recommends direct firing speakers--Then again, I don't use Audyssey DSX and definitely prefer Dolby PLIIz .

The reason I may consider that is that the latter uses side surround information while DSX uses what is being sent to the Mains.
Yea I've always wondered what DSX sounds like but I also prefer Dolby PLII. I watch movies and DirecTV with audyssey but shut off audyssey and switch to manual mode and have the eq dialed in for my liking. So your saying when you run front heights with the Denon and switch to DSX it just sends the same info to the heights as the mains? Think thats kinda dumb but considering cable and a lot of movies aren't in 7.1 so what else can it do but that. I'm assuming then in 7.1 sources the heights etc.. do have different info sent to them while in DSX?

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
cchunter is offline  
post #37816 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
I totally agree with you. They have the 1.75 inch tweeter like the 7II's and the 64II. The problem is they are very hard to find and when you do find them they are really expensive considering they are used and were made 8-11 yrs ago.
The RB-75s are awesome speakers but I think they would be wasted in that position given what I am experiencing using RB-5IIs there now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Yea I've always wondered what DSX sounds like but I also prefer Dolby PLII. I watch movies and DirecTV with audyssey but shut off audyssey and switch to manual mode and have the eq dialed in for my liking. So your saying when you run front heights with the Denon and switch to DSX it just sends the same info to the heights as the mains? Think thats kinda dumb but considering cable and a lot of movies aren't in 7.1 so what else can it do but that. I'm assuming then in 7.1 sources the heights etc.. do have different info sent to them while in DSX?
Fwiw, that is actually the difference between DSX and PLIIz technology--It's not a "Denon" thing. Insofar as anything actually mixed in 7.1--Those add rear channels and the mix has nothing to do with either Heights or Wides except for the after processing done in the AVR (which I described above).
malmstump likes this.
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #37817 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
malmstump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
The RB-75s are awesome speakers but I think they would be wasted in that position given what I am experiencing using RB-5IIs there now...



Fwiw, that is actually the difference between DSX and PLIIz technology--It's not a "Denon" thing. Insofar as anything actually mixed in 7.1--Those add rear channels and the mix has nothing to do with either Heights or Wides except for the after processing done in the AVR (which I described above).
hey guys i have found another set of klf 30 's ,450$ needing a little paint job but i think they are worth it
i trie and attached pics hope it works .what do you guys think ?450 $ and some paint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	217001   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	217009   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	217017  
malmstump is offline  
post #37818 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reference_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
I totally agree with you. They have the 1.75 inch tweeter like the 7II's and the 64II. The problem is they are very hard to find and when you do find them they are really expensive considering they are used and were made 8-11 yrs ago.
True it could take a long time to find a good deal. Tasdom has them above his 7iis. He says its really nice. Heresys would make some nice heights also I think.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels

Last edited by Reference_head; 08-17-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Reference_head is online now  
post #37819 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reference_head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,019
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
hey guys i have found another set of klf 30 's ,450$ needing a little paint job but i think they are worth it
i trie and attached pics hope it works .what do you guys think ?450 $ and some paint
Are all the drivers minty? Do you plan on stripping all the paint off and doing a refinish?

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
Reference_head is online now  
post #37820 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
malmstump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
hey guys i have found another set of klf 30 's ,450$ needing a little paint job but i think they are worth it
i trie and attached pics hope it works .what do you guys think ?450 $ and some paint
sorry zen i did not mean to quote you .it's this damn new forum format
malmstump is offline  
post #37821 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
malmstump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post
Are all the drivers minty? Do you plan on stripping all the paint off and doing a refinish?
not really ref ,i just wanted to sand an repaint if that is possible .the divers are looking like minty to me .still
haven't seen them in person tho or heard 'em yet
malmstump is offline  
post #37822 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Louis Bartay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
hey guys i have found another set of klf 30 's ,450$ needing a little paint job but i think they are worth it
i trie and attached pics hope it works .what do you guys think ?450 $ and some paint
Yes, go for it as they are hard to find local.
malmstump likes this.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330 DH110
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100 PL-518X DL103R
Louis Bartay is offline  
post #37823 of 40843 Old 08-17-2014, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Teremei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Your room is like mine where I'm basically sitting on the back wall. If I ever decide to take the plunge to 7.1 it would have to be front heights but with the 7II's and 64II only eight ft in front of me I'm not so sure that I would benefit from heights. Very little I'm guessing then again I maybe wrong so that's another what if lol. I hate what ifs!
Yeah your speakers are rockin. I have a lot of bare wall up there though man. Is there an option to put just one in the middle sort of acting like a center high channel or does it have to be 2? I thought of mounting something like an RC-52 II up there tilted toward my MLP. Thinking it might be able to blend with the center to make the dialog sound like it's coming more from the middle as opposed from under the TV?

I mean, what sounds go to the front heights if you do elect to do that? I mean does it just kinda "share duty" with the center and LR? What part of the soundtrack does it play?

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Teremei is offline  
post #37824 of 40843 Old 08-18-2014, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,034
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post
hey guys i have found another set of klf 30 's ,450$ needing a little paint job but i think they are worth it
i trie and attached pics hope it works .what do you guys think ?450 $ and some paint
Great find. Congrats!

I found that Home Depot has Satin Black paint in a spray can. I'm going to try it out on my KLF-C7.

Life without bass is not worth living.
Mongo171 is offline  
post #37825 of 40843 Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
...I mean, what sounds go to the front heights if you do elect to do that? I mean does it just kinda "share duty" with the center and LR? What part of the soundtrack does it play?
I explained it to you in the above post and no I wouldn't use a single speaker in that position for Heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
They would go above or to the outside of your Mains and tilted towards the LP.
2nd EDIT: I thought I explained the difference in another post but couldn't find it...Anyway, DSX uses Front Channel information to send to the heights and PLIIz/x uses surround information to send to the Heights.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 08-18-2014 at 08:03 AM. Reason: added quotes
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #37826 of 40843 Old 08-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
malmstump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Great find. Congrats!

I found that Home Depot has Satin Black paint in a spray can. I'm going to try it out on my KLF-C7.
i haven't bought yet going to probably .thank you tho ,please let me know how it turns out because i want
to try it myself an don't know wether to san and paint or spray
malmstump is offline  
post #37827 of 40843 Old 08-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
B 26354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SoCal Desert
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 138
My living-room Home Theater is complete... and it only took me SEVENTY YEARS!

The final piece of my home theater arrangement's puzzle concerned a desire to replace my RC-3 II center with an RC-64 II... and the main conundrum (aside from wondering "How much better could it possibly sound?") was how to do so without also replacing my beautiful glass-topped VTI equipment stand.

Of course, the "obvious" fix would have been to put the 64 on top of the VTI, and just plop my 100-lb plasma down on top of it. But I was against doing that -- as was Klipsch Tech Support -- so the solution at which I arrived was to order a custom-made solid-oak riser that would house the 64 within it, and safely hold the plasma on top.

I also wanted to be able to angle the 64 upward a bit, so I had the riser built with a 9.5" internal vertical clearance. But rather than using the RC-64 II's supplied "angulation screw" on my stand's glass top, I used these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hem...ref=pd_cp_hi_0

All four of the feet are evenly placed on the bottom forward edge of the 64, raising its front exactly 1.4"... while also softly and evenly distributing the speaker's weight among them. I really like that the feet are black; they blend perfectly with the speaker, and look completely professional.

OK then. So much for the "preliminaries".

I've been running my RF-7 IIs with the RC-3 II for ten months now, so of course the big question was... how much of a difference would I hear between the RC-3 II and the RC-64 II? So before I put the 64 into the riser, I put the RC-3 there first, and listened to it like that for a few hours.

Well... the difference between where it was before, and then putting it on top of the equipment stand, was HUGE. Previously, it had basically been firing straight into a large coffee table, three feet away from the table's front edge. Now it was firing straight at me, with no obstructions at all. Naturally, I had expected the difference to be "significant". Most interestingly, though, I was finally able to clearly hear the tonal difference between it and the RF-7 IIs... and the difference was surprisingly obvious. So for the past ten months, my feeling that "What's the big deal?... this RC-3 II sounds fine with the RF-7 IIs", was primarily due to the RC-3's severely muffled output. Turns out that the RC-3 II and the RF-7 IIs are a complete mismatch.

After coming to that conclusion, I swapped the centers, and finally plugged in the 64.

Holy freakin' HERTZ, Batman!!!

I am here to tell you that the difference in center-channel dialogue-clarity and overall tonal fullness and "richness" between the 3 II and the 64 II is... well... enormous. As everyone who has this combination of fronts and center is quick to point out, the RC-64 II is a perfect tonal match with the RF-7 IIs. And not just for multi-channel films....

I'm a 20%-movies/80%-music guy, and I predominantly listen to jazz and classical (WAV files only: no MP3, no streaming)... with a little popular music thrown in every now-and-then, for fun. I've never liked any of the "Pro-Logic" types of multi-channel sound processing, so prior to implementing the RC-64 II into my system, I have always preferred listening to my Yamaha AVR's unprocessed "Straight" 2.1-channel output mode for music, even though it also has the ability to distribute an unprocessed two-channel stereo signal to all of my speakers (on my A-2010, it's called "Nine Channel Stereo"). Until now, the sound coming from the 7 IIs and the sub in "Straight" mode has always been far clearer and more "authentic"-sounding to me, than in "Nine Channel".

Well... having replaced the 3 II with the 64 II, and having spent a good fourteen days listening in Nine Channel to every genre of music that I own, I can easily say that I now vastly prefer 5.1 Nine Channel over 2.1 Straight. Again, the 7 II / 64 II "blend" is seamless... and sublime.

I'll confess; I got the 64 II for an amazingly good price from Sound Distributors in Las Vegas... but that doesn't matter. This thing -- especially in combination with a pair of RF-7 IIs -- is worth twice its MSRP. Honestly, if you gotta sell your grandma to get one... well... as Mr. Nike says... "Just do it!"

WOW.

So... like I said at the start of this interminable ramble... that's it; I'm done. I have reached my Audio Nirvana.

And you should see the smile on the face of my ears!

Last edited by B 26354; 08-18-2014 at 10:54 AM.
B 26354 is online now  
post #37828 of 40843 Old 08-18-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Zen Traveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Congratulations B 26354! Fwiw, the RC-3 is a nice center channel when paired with RF-3s but the 1" compression driver with the smaller LF drivers compared to centers like the RC-7 and RC-64II in between a pair RF-7s IS a substantial upgrade!
Zen Traveler is offline  
post #37829 of 40843 Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
B 26354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SoCal Desert
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Thanks Zen! And H-U-G-E thanks to you and forum members Schwa, cchunter, SanchoPanza, Tasdom, and others for all your forum- and PM-based help, advice, and discussion over these past months. You guys are an invaluable asset to the audio community!

B 26354 is online now  
post #37830 of 40843 Old 08-18-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Louis Bartay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 1,413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by B 26354 View Post
Thanks Zen! And H-U-G-E thanks to you and forum members Schwa, cchunter, SanchoPanza, Tasdom, and others for all your forum- and PM-based help, advice, and discussion over these past months. You guys are an invaluable asset to the audio community!

Congrats on the RC-64, it is Great with a RF-7 or other Klipsch tower with Ti diaphragms for HT Bluray. Seventy Years was that a typo?

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330 DH110
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100 PL-518X DL103R
Louis Bartay is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off