Klipsch owner thread - Page 1264 - AVS Forum
First ... 1262  1263  1264 1265  1266  ... Last
Speakers > Klipsch owner thread
Teremei's Avatar Teremei 06:08 PM 08-19-2014
I was talking about RS41 not RB. RB41 is def not in the discussion. Technically the RS41 only goes down to 85 so I wouldn't want to set that at 80hz.

left is 2 feet but right is 7 feet away.

cchunter's Avatar cchunter 06:12 PM 08-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
Don't get caught up in driver size! Especially since you're playing near field and were talking surrounds! That said if you go with RB series bookshelves get a Pinpoint wall mount, and don't do flush mount. With the RS series bipoles, flush mount all you want. Again if you go with the RS series they need some room to breath, like a 2 foot radius. With your setup being so near field I'd do RB41s on pinpoint mounts.

CHHunter went for rear placement because he has no left wall (I'm guessing), otherwise side placement is ideal.
I do have a left wall but it was just to far away and that's a walkway to the front door. Just didn't seem right having a surround way over on the side. Someday a dedicated room will be in order. Until then we make due with what we have
cchunter's Avatar cchunter 06:20 PM 08-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
I was talking about RS41 not RB. RB41 is def not in the discussion. Technically the RS41 only goes down to 85 so I wouldn't want to set that at 80hz. I do want dispersion so I guess I will go with the 42s. I hope I am making the right choice.
I think your making the right choice but only you can decide. I think it'll sound fine. Trust me my room does not make my system shine to it's true capabilities and I'm just fine with that. Little tweaks and upgrades are baby steps. The other day my wife and I went out and got drapes for that 10 ft front window I have. Guess what it helped on the reflections and echo.
Teremei's Avatar Teremei 07:13 PM 08-19-2014
haha, nice. Yes lots of soft surfaces sure seem to help. My room has many soft surfaces and it sounds really good to me.

Maybe I should carpet my walls.
Reference_head's Avatar Reference_head 12:09 AM 08-20-2014
At pannels will help
ClawAndTalon's Avatar ClawAndTalon 08:38 AM 08-20-2014
Quote:
Yeah I am caught up in driver size. I even look at the frequency range. The reason I went with the 41s is I convinced myself the would be perfect for how close I am. Then I heard their actual range with audyssey, and yuck.

Do you think the 20 hz difference would be noticeable with the RS-42s? I think I'd like to stick to RS because I like to wall mount. And they look good, even if in the location they lose some of their ability.

One last question I guess is, are the 42s worth it over the 41s.

Due to the distance from you to the speakers being just 2 feet, I'd go with the RB 41 II, or the RS 41 II.

Why?

You're closer than the testing for frequency response is done. Also due to this proximity, you're not going to enjoy the full measure of a much larger speaker. You'll not miss out on any extension with the speaker crossed at 80 hz. Especially if you have at least a half decent sub. Don't worry about the test tone sound from Audyssey. At the end of the day we are talking about surrounds, test material and real world material is going to have far less relation than with mains and centers.

I might lean towards the RS 41 II, because it might behave slightly better with flush mounting and justify the added cost. It'll look better too.

I wouldn't do the RB 51 for anyone, not matter what, if it's flush mounted. It's also got a rear port with a lot of air coming out of it. You're also a bit too close, but we could alleviate that concern with a mount to point it off axis which also gives the rear port breathing room. Since you don't want to get mounts, this one is a non-starter.

I wouldn't do the RS 42 II because you're too close, and you have furniture that's too close. You also won't be enjoying the capabilities of this speaker, thus the added money you spend, because it's so close.
PM-Performance's Avatar PM-Performance 09:06 AM 08-20-2014
pics of the area where they would be mounted may help too.
There is no other place than 2 ft from your ear to mount?
Zen Traveler's Avatar Zen Traveler 09:58 AM 08-20-2014
I say if he is happy with his Polks as surrounds he should spend that money some other place, especially since he seems to be waiting to see how Atmos pans out...He mentioned budgeting earlier in the thread and with that in mind, I suggest he keeps what he has (since he's ecstatic already} and the money he is thinking on spending could be better spent at a latter time or for source material. My 2 cents.
Teremei's Avatar Teremei 10:12 AM 08-20-2014
I measured where I sit. I under estimated. It's still pretty close. And I always have to turn the left SR down by about 3db to get a more "blended" sound. I am sitting 4-5 feet from the left wall and 6 feet from the right. The actual driver of the left speaker my left ear is about 4.5 feet from it. I think you are right CandT. Even at this distance I think going with the RS-41 is fine. I'd just been indecisive because I've been going through a lot of stress lately.

Here is the picture with the polk T-15s currently there. The left side is the one surrounded by couches and walls.
Attached: IMG_0776.JPG (169.5 KB)  IMG_0777.JPG (131.5 KB) 
Zen Traveler's Avatar Zen Traveler 10:26 AM 08-20-2014
Quote:
]... I'd just been indecisive because I've been going through a lot of stress lately.

Here is the picture with the polk T-15s currently there. The left side is the one surrounded by couches and walls.
Keep the Poks and consider what I said earlier, especially if you tried the other speakers and didn't notice the detail you were looking for. Fwiw, there is not going to be a ton of difference in any of the speakers you are looking at, imo.
Teremei's Avatar Teremei 02:11 PM 08-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
Keep the Poks and consider what I said earlier, especially if you tried the other speakers and didn't notice the detail you were looking for. Fwiw, there is not going to be a ton of difference in any of the speakers you are looking at, imo.
I think you are right, thank you for that. The 1 night I did test the RS-41 the one thing I noticed over the polks. Is the sound definitely was more clear and I liked that. I'll give them a good week long test but I'll probably end up keeping them since I like having Klipsch horns all around. It wasn't a big investment.
Louis Bartay's Avatar Louis Bartay 02:29 PM 08-20-2014
Quote:
I think you are right, thank you for that. The 1 night I did test the RS-41 the one thing I noticed over the polks. Is the sound definitely was more clear and I liked that. I'll give them a good week long test but I'll probably end up keeping them since I like having Klipsch horns all around. It wasn't a big investment, I got them 35% off.
You be glad you did not return the RS-41 if you play music (timber match) with all speakers on. On some older TV shows before DD5.1 I have my AVR set to play ALL stereo and manually dial in the rears to balance with the fronts.
Teremei's Avatar Teremei 02:43 PM 08-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
You be glad you did not return the RS-41 if you play music (timber match) with all speakers on. On some older TV shows before DD5.1 I have my AVR set to play ALL stereo and manually dial in the rears to balance with the fronts.
Hey maybe I'll try that, thanks. I already think it's probably for the best for 5.1 home theater.
ingramba's Avatar ingramba 05:28 PM 08-20-2014
Hi All, I recently picked up a pair of mint RF 3 ii's for super cheap from a co-worker. I need a center that matches them for a small game room. I can't seem to locate a used RC 3 ii used so I've been looking at the RC 52 ii and the RC 42. Money no problem for either. Also, what's a good tweeter replacement due to the bright/scratchy sounding tweeters? I do love them otherwise! Thx as always! Bill
Louis Bartay's Avatar Louis Bartay 06:00 PM 08-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingramba View Post
Hi All, I recently picked up a pair of mint RF 3 ii's for super cheap from a co-worker. I need a center that matches them for a small game room. I can't seem to locate a used RC 3 ii used so I've been looking at the RC 52 ii and the RC 42. Money no problem for either. Also, what's a good tweeter replacement due to the bright/scratchy sounding tweeters? I do love them otherwise! Thx as always! Bill
If it was me I would look for a used RC-62 for a center or a RC-62II. And if your pre/pro has a room correction feature re-run it or manually adjust the tweeters in the Eq. and see if a bit less gain will tame them to your hearing .
Tasdom's Avatar Tasdom 06:02 PM 08-20-2014
Quote:
Congrats! There are a couple of RC3II's on ebay right now. Also try searchtempest.com for a CL search of surrounding areas
Zen Traveler's Avatar Zen Traveler 06:08 PM 08-20-2014
Quote:
Welcome to the club but if you picked up a mint pair of RF-3s they may sound bright, but shouldn't sound scratchy...That said, if they are working correctly then placement could be an issue and make sure you don't have them setup in a bright room (need to have carpet and possibly room treatment, natural or otherwise).

Insofar as replacing the tweeter--I haven't heard of one in the lower end models and if you don't like the sound you may consider reselling them and picking up a speaker package that you don't find "bright and scratchy."

If it no longer becomes an issue I would go with the larger center channel but again, if nothing is wrong with the RF-3s it's going to have a similar sonic signature--I have read that some people don't like the sound of horn tweeters, even more so in the lower-end models--Then again, one person hears "crisp and clear" while another hears what you describe and that is always been the case with Klipsch Speakers...

Of course some people prefer the "dull and muffled" sound of dome tweeters like a "blanket has been pulled over them" and folks on this thread don't own those. Good Luck although I don't feel like I was any help.

{EDIT NOTE: Make sure the jumpers between the +/+ and -/- are connected on the terminals because if they aren't you may only being hearing the horn.}

{2nd Edit: You are getting some good advice above and there isn't any difference between the RC-3 and the RC-3II except the latter has Monster Cable wire on the inside}
Teremei's Avatar Teremei 06:36 PM 08-20-2014
I can tell you that I have found my 62 II series bright many a time. People here can attest to it. What I've found is that you really have to work to get the most out of the Klipsch, but when you do it's perfect. Things required

- carpeting and lots of soft surfaces helps (as has been said)
- aiming the towers right at the center or atleast very close to the main listening position
- running room correctly software correctly. Meaning testing 6-9 spots in small area. Right at your MLP with each point 1 foot from each other.

Once I did all of this my sound was flawless.
ClawAndTalon's Avatar ClawAndTalon 09:28 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
I can tell you that I have found my 62 II series bright many a time. People here can attest to it. What I've found is that you really have to work to get the most out of the Klipsch, but when you do it's perfect. Things required

- aiming the towers right at the center or atleast very close to the main listening position
- running room correctly software correctly. Meaning testing 6-9 spots in small area. Right at your MLP with each point 1 foot from each other.

Once I did all of this my sound was flawless.

YES. Curtains and bookshelves are also a big help

Actually it's best to aim them right at corresponding shoulders. ie. Right speaker aimed at right shoulder, or just outside of it. Also make sure your speakers are within a foot away from each other as either one is to you. For example. if you're MLP is 9 feet to each speaker, have the towers 8-9 feet away from each other. Two feet away from the wall minimum. Three is best but can be a challenge with space and WAF.

- running room correction software correctly. Meaning testing 6-9 spots in small area. Right at your MLP with each point 1 foot from each other.

Actually, that's not ideal, and the pattern isn't making best use of MLP listening. The best is to test in a Christian cross shaped pattern with the MLP at the intersection, your shoulders at each horizontal end and another behind you, like on the back of the couch. Then march in front of MLP in 3 inch increments, until you run out of testing positions. I actually made a wooden shaped cross to make this easier, and it helps ward off the occasional vampire.
Mp3Markel's Avatar Mp3Markel 09:38 AM 08-21-2014
Just got a set of RF-82 II for the front, love them!!

http://youtu.be/knvNVm_bA1c?list=UUe...h8D93JJoOYZLlw
MSchu18's Avatar MSchu18 09:43 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp3Markel View Post

Why?

Yah'maha?

Enjoy!
retro124's Avatar retro124 09:45 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:

http://youtu.be/knvNVm_bA1c?list=UUe...h8D93JJoOYZLlw
Nice speakers, just let them played in lower volume for a little bit to break them down.
Congrats and enjoy !!!
Mp3Markel's Avatar Mp3Markel 09:46 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Don't worry they will RF -82II are a great choice!!! Can't wait what you will think about them.
The RF-82II sound great!! I don't have a lot of knowledge in the audio field so it's hard for me to explain but the sound just sounds more dynamic. Like I was watching Avatar and you could determine that the crowd roaring was far away from you yet the person in front of the camera felt literally 10 feet away. I played a few songs with nice vocals and it sounds like they're in the room with you! These definitely cannot compare to my Onkyo setup! Now on to saving for a sub and rear speakers!
MSchu18's Avatar MSchu18 09:47 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Nice speakers, just let them played in lower volume for a little bit to break them down.

What?
Mp3Markel's Avatar Mp3Markel 09:49 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
Why?

Yah'maha?

Enjoy!
It was 400 bucks on Amazon and I read a few reviews that said the Yamaha was good enough, although it doesn't have pre-outs. I looked at a different brand with pre-outs but it was about 4x as much...
retro124's Avatar retro124 09:49 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
The RF-82II sound great!! I don't have a lot of knowledge in the audio field so it's hard for me to explain but the sound just sounds more dynamic. Like I was watching Avatar and you could determine that the crowd roaring was far away from you yet the person in front of the camera felt literally 10 feet away. I played a few songs with nice vocals and it sounds like they're in the room with you! These definitely cannot compare to my Onkyo setup! Now on to saving for a sub and rear speakers!
Yes RF-82II's sounds great for sure, are you going to add center channel also? I god mine RF line just 8 months ago and I love it!!! You have nice size room with big screen looks great.
Mp3Markel's Avatar Mp3Markel 09:53 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Yes RF-82II's sounds great for sure, are you going to add center channel also? I god mine RF line just 8 months ago and I love it!!! You have nice size room with big screen looks great.
Thank You! I'll probably add a center channel eventually but right now the 2 fronts sound great. I was thinking of first putting the money toward rears and a sub then eventually a center. Got any suggestions for a sub?
retro124's Avatar retro124 10:03 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Thank You! I'll probably add a center channel eventually but right now the 2 fronts sound great. I was thinking of first putting the money toward rears and a sub then eventually a center. Got any suggestions for a sub?
I had Klipsch 12 sub for a long time and now I have SVS subs (2xPC12-Pluses) and they are amazing much much better then Klipsch one. Check their web sites. You can try them for 45 days if you don't lie it you can send it back, both shipping ways are free. If you choice SVS subs only reason to send it back will be to get a better one I can promise you that!!!
retro124's Avatar retro124 10:07 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
What?
I think it is smart to play new speakers or sub in lower and different volume for a little bit before you start to play them very very loud.
ClawAndTalon's Avatar ClawAndTalon 10:56 AM 08-21-2014
Quote:
I'd do the center first, but that's just me I guess. For HT purposes, most of your sound is discreet to the center channel. Have your front sound stage perfected before you concern yourself with surround.

As for sub, it depends first on what you want to spend, and also your room dims. Plan on spending over 500 bucks min for something to complement your RF 82 IIs.

The HSU VTF 2 Mk 4 is $600 shipped and would be a good starting point for what you are looking for.
Tags: belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black
First ... 1262  1263  1264 1265  1266  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop