AVS Forum banner
5M views 61K replies 4K participants last post by  drh3b 
#1 ·
Let here from all the Klipsch owners. Likes or dislikes about Klipsch? I update a lot of my equipment in the last few months. I have the RF-83 mains, RC-64 center,RF-82 rears and Infinity SM152 for the back speakers. Veloydne DLS-5000 and a Klipsch KSW-200 for subs. A Sony STR-DA7100ES receiver,Sony 60"SXRD,Sony DVP-NS90V DVD, Sony SLV-676UC VCR,Sony MDP-33 laserdisc,Philips CD770 CD recorder, JVC XV-S65 DVD, JVC TD-W660 cassette, JVC XL-M700 multi cd, JVC AL-F350 turn table, Fisher CAV875 video switcher, JVC HM-DSR100U DVHS dish, Xbox 360, Motorola cable box. My room size is 16x18. Over all I am very happy with the whole system. The Rf-83 turned out to very fine speaker little less in the bass than I would like, but the mid and high are great. The Veloydne fill the gap nicely. I like lot of base in my system. The RC-64 is a kick but center speaker, very large in size but great sound for dialogue. It is the best center I ever heard. The RF-82 are not as refined as the FR-83 but very nice for the price. The DLS-5000 is a bargain for the price you can buy them for. Looks like they range from 600-800 online. Plenty of volume , but it doesn't go as low in frequency as the more expensive subs. In the future I will look at the new Klipsch subs along with SVS,Earthquake, or another Veloydne. Driving all this is the Sony 7100ES that I am totaly happy with. This whole system is incredibly loud.

See less See more
#25,281 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25260#post_23647386

That could be placement. Bass is a slave to placement. Even the best sub in the world will have no bass if it has bad placement. Move a 7 away and put the sub right where the 7 was and see if you get bass from your sub in that spot.
Yep placement , treatments but something has to change. that is a " Ahh Soo " moment right there !

#25,282 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25260#post_23647397

if that speaker was pumping air like that, woofer working like crazy & you hear nuttin' ? ?

THEN you Just experienced a room null .. Your welcome , not many people even know one when they don't hear one L O L

That's a standing wave null in most cases , your room needs some treatments

the room is cancelling out that sound at that Hz
Bass crawls can be your best friend

#25,283 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25260#post_23647386

That could be placement. Bass is a slave to placement. Even the best sub in the world will have no bass if it has bad placement. Move a 7 away and put the sub right where the 7 was and see if you get bass from your sub in that spot.
I know we're every bass null is at my place because my cat has found everyone of them

Reactions: Reference_head
#25,284 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25260#post_23647440

Bass crawls can be your best friend
That is until your wife walks in and says wdf are you doing with your sniffer on the floor like a dog
. Umm just doing the bass crawl haha she walks away with a look like this

#25,285 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25290#post_23647446

That is until your wife walks in and says wdf are you doing with your sniffer on the floor like a dog
. Umm just doing the bass crawl haha she walks away with a look like this
That's to funny
Never really thought about it but it must look pretty strange :eek:to the untrained Eye lol

#25,287 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25260#post_23647284

I haven't been able to leave the theater room ever since setting up the new speakers.

I have messed around with a lot settings on the AVR. Fronts and sides set to Large, Xover set to 50 all the way up to 200 and all bass settings all the way up. I normally wouldn't use these settings but just wanted to mess around and see what the capabilities of the speakers are and see if I could find anything wrong with them from the previous owner. you are right they just don't seem to move a whole lot even when doing a front left and right low frequency sweep demo. makes me wonder why the port holes are so big. but then again I don't have 250 watts pushing them. im very happy with how wide and encompassing the sound is now. I did start to notice what people call the ear fatigue thing and have never experienced that before. but im not sure if its just the messed up sinus issue I have right now from the nasty cold. it got me looking around and here is what I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqMk5mUhD3s it seems to be a really old video with a guy that is need of a good pair of nail clippers that lives with him grandma. the science seem sound but I have my reservations. what do you think?

The ear fatigue will lessen when you have more bass so the mids are not out front of the music. When you add a 250 wpc amp you be glad the Rf-7 have that port as you will be pushing the woofers as designed and the cabinet will

start to flow the back stroke air off the woofers and you will "FEEL" the direct bass better and at lower volumes too. Add a decent sub until a amp is in your budget you WILL be glad. It will help with movies special effects and the sub will take the place of the amp as far as extra bass to fill in the mids being out front. Enjoy the RF-7 and RC-64 you have to spend a lot of $$ for something new to best these. Add a amp and this gets really expensive to want to upgrade. Like I said these are keepers, they sound great now with a AVR and Awesome with 250 wpc amp. I bet your Denon will jam the RC-64 good enough to keep up with the RF-7 with a amp. Yes when my sinus are messed up my hearing is crap.

#25,288 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25260#post_23647371

I guess what I was asking is would they feel and sound the same at the same frequencies? of coarse this depends on the size of the sub, the enclosure but if they were comparable and had the same watts and frequency than they should have the same feel? the reason I ask is I just played something called "bass I love you" and to my surprise the speakers woke up and started popping out like crazy, pushing lots of air out the back but still never really produced much bass sound. now if I turn on the sub it produces s ton of bass. granted the frequency was probably very low but is shows the 135watt receiver can push the rf-7 speakers but yet I still haven't really heard much bass from them
Quote:

Placement might be the reason. More likely the frequency is simply below what the speaker is designed to play. Sine the RF-7ii are -3 dB at 30 Hz, they may be way down at 20 Hz. That doesn't mean that the woofer won't be moving like crazy (the electrical signal is still there to make it move after all), it just means that it won't be efficiently transferring that energy to the air.

#25,289 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25080#post_23643014

I have a friend that swears by Sewell speaker wire,cables and their banana plugs so I just purchased 6 pairs with free freight.

their 14ga speaker wire too.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E1CGZC/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-14-Gauge-Speaker-Wire-50/dp/B00B4ZIS5O/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1376871161&sr=1-3-fkmr1&keywords=Sewell+14+ga+speaker+wire

I also purchased 4 pair of the Nakamichi banana like you have(Baton Rouge), still waiting on all of them. Re-wiring bedroom system and adding plugs to all the speakers in the den that will use them.

Back of AVR will look better soon with the Sewell. The inside of the gold Sewell plugs are really machined great.will see when they both arrive.

The Spade adaptors arrived........ DOH. what was I thinking these are way to big for the back of a older Cornwall.
my Badd. I had mt head up my a__ ...

8MM is about twice too wide. I emailed him and asked if he can find some 4MM like these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181122902862?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&afsrc=1

#25,290 ·
Sorry about that. Let us know what he sez

#25,291 ·
All

Do you guys have any experience with Klipsch Subwoofer XW-500D which is 10 inch high end subwoofer from Klipsch. Specs are really good for this subwoofer.

I was originally looking for rw-12D originally & came across a guy who is selling this sub in $220 (in the box). Would it be a good idea to buy XW-500D at this price?

Is XW-500D is as good as rw-12D? My main use is 50% movies/TV & 50% Music.

#25,292 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25050#post_23642501

Got them located and mounted where I think they'll suit my room best. Not wired up yet since I'm low on speaker wire and out of banana plugs. Give's me something to look forward to next weekend.

Left side

Right Side

Rethinking placement on these and thought this might work if I place them on some taller stands to clear sofa height

Behind sofa just above top of sofa roughly between chaise and ajoining seat

Move shelves toward corner to make room directly across from rear sofa placement

Appreciate any thoughts or comments...

#25,293 ·
Behind sofa just above top of sofa roughly between chaise and adjoining seat

Wouldn't they be blasting right into someone's ear?

#25,294 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25290#post_23648421

The Spade adaptors arrived........ DOH. what was I thinking these are way to big for the back of a older Cornwall.
my Badd. I had mt head up my a__ ...

8MM is about twice too wide. I emailed him and asked if he can find some 4MM like these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181122902862?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649&afsrc=1

Why not just bare wire through the holes and screw down?

I understand banana plugs on the back of a cramped receiver, but spades on the back of speakers?

#25,295 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25290#post_23648526

Behind sofa just above top of sofa roughly between chaise and adjoining seat

Wouldn't they be blasting right into someone's ear?

That side of sectional is rarely used. There is also 5 ft. of space behind the sofa to the wall so I could scoot them back

#25,296 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25290#post_23648450

Sorry about that. Let us know what he sez

I can't believe I screwed up.. I spent 18 years of my working career as a machinist them Tool&Die maker. No excuse.. 1 MM is almost .040 1000 of a inch X 8 .320 thousands of a inch.

5/16 is .312................ grrrr I was in a hurry as I am hooking up a Yamaha A1000 Integrated amp with adjustable MM/MC phono section. The Class A Amp (10 WPC) and A/B (120 WPC @ 8 ohm)

was a plus as I was looking for a SS stereo amp and separate pre/amp with good phono stage, to get all my analog R2R, TT and Nak. cassette deck away from the AVR I purchased a used (killer deal) Niles Audio SPK-1 audio triggered speaker level switcher A/B box. It allows you to have two seperate systems hooked up to one pair of speakers. my Cornwalls. I am playing LP's now and NO HUM from the MC phono section..... as the seller had just re-capped the A-1000 and serviced it. It was Yamaha TOTL Integrated amp in 1982/84. So far the A1000 is working great.

I got a great deal on it off Ebay as the seller lives a few hours each way from me and re-builds receivers and amps etc.
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/yamaha-a1000.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-A-1000-Integrated-Amplifier-/290956938344?ViewItem=&afsrc=1&item=290956938344&nma=true&si=MMRQtvVcXR8bNzHK1uR7O%252BTlrgQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.smarthome.com/6728/Niles-Audio-SPK-1-Speaker-Level-A-B-Switcher/p.aspx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Niles-Audio-SPK-1-/141034512705?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&afsrc=1&nma=true&si=MMRQtvVcXR8bNzHK1uR7O%252BTlrgQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&afsrc=1

#25,297 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25290#post_23648536

Why not just bare wire through the holes and screw down?

I understand banana plugs on the back of a cramped receiver, but spades on the back of speakers?

Have you looked at the back of a 1979 Cornwall? Two small screws hold down the speaker wire, use a spade or cut the wire bare a 1/4 long and twist it a few times and pull the screw out all the way and wrap

the bare wire around the screw and snug it. Those Gold plated spade look good to me. VS the tin looking spades you crimp flat to hold the wire.

#25,298 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25290#post_23648571

That side of sectional is rarely used. There is also 5 ft. of space behind the sofa to the wall so I could scoot them back

It was hard to tell from the pictures, but i see it now. Distance is fine... The speaker would be a bit low for me, but it's not a bad compromise at all.

#25,299 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25230#post_23646939

Or, you could buy slower.... And work on some Heritage (if it would fit)

+1 and never looked back . .,.

Best decision for me was selling off and leaving my Reference 7.1 system behind and build an 11.1 true Heritage system . . . Pre-owned and learned how to update crossovers . . . Most bang for the Klipsch buck in HT,is,pre-owned Heritage (I mean the original Heritage series-Klipschorn, Belle, La Scala, Cornwall, Heresey, not the discontinued later Klipsch lines which were later adopted in "Heritage" for marketing reasons).

I had a nice Reference setup up, and sold it. gave me a "do over" opportunity. All real Heritage HT pre-owned and tweaked HT for about the same cost as new RF7s and friends grouping in a 7 channel setup,

Just something for you to consider since you are starting over. . . . A little patiece in locating pre-owned Heritage and learning a little recapping you can have an amazing all Heritage speaker HT.

But, with a cache of cash and no patience, a great RF7II setup or even RF82IIs with center and friends can be a nice setup to greatly enjoyminnyour room.

I,am, myself, very glad, few have patience to shop for pre-owned Heritage big boys, ot to,learn how to recap and tweak them . . . That has left them pretty easy to buy in my market since few people in my area buy pre-owned original Heritage in my area, and thereforemI am able to get amazing buys and have out two amazing HT original Heritage setups in my little log cabin on them lake.

I had a wonderful RF82 matched 7.1 system I bought all new in the summer of 2008. Loved it,for four yrars. Bought a pair of KG2s and recapped. Wow! What an amazing sound! Then bought two sets of KG4sm.,.,. Recapped. Wower!

Found out about the Klipsch original Klipsch Heritage line . . A little over,1 and 1/2 years now, I have managed to buy and repair on my own 4 Khorns, 4 Belles, 4 La Scalas, and 4 Heresys (quietly and patiently looking for 2 more pair of WO Heresys)

Love thr Reference line; but if you plan to buy Reference 7IIs or RF82IIs at new prices, you might wan to sloe dozen and think ore-owned original Heritage speakers . .

For nesrlymthemsame price as a reference new, I have put together two home original Heritage set ups . . . An 11.1 and a 7.1 for not much more than buying an Raf7II and friends.

And the WAF ROCKETED, friends love the, most of all, the original a heritage HT are eye-candy that sound . . . Well, the most amazing speakers I have ever heard, which includes all of the Klipsch Reference speakers (which are in themelves amazing speakers).

Just my opinion.

#25,300 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay  /t/680426/klipsch-owner-thread/25290#post_23648721

Have you looked at the back of a 1979 Cornwall? Two small screws hold down the speaker wire, use a spade or cut the wire bare a 1/4 long and twist it a few times and pull the screw out all the way and wrap

the bare wire around the screw and snug it. Those Gold plated spade look good to me. VS the tin looking spades you crimp flat to hold the wire.
the terminals on the back of older Heritage are a P I A spades/forks work the best . but took the whole old terminals & replaced with them with heavy duty gold parts express terminal studs with the hole & the twist lock when I went with the larger 12 gauge wire

the huge black/red knobs are just so much easier to work with & just easy to see witch is positive better than them old style .

I understand that some like to keep everything stock but I'm over that