post #37921 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
- carpeting and lots of soft surfaces helps (as has been said)
YES. Curtains and bookshelves are also a big help

- aiming the towers right at the center or atleast very close to the main listening position

Actually it's best to aim them right at corresponding shoulders. ie. Right speaker aimed at right shoulder, or just outside of it. Also make sure your speakers are within a foot away from each other as either one is to you. For example. if you're MLP is 9 feet to each speaker, have the towers 8-9 feet away from each other. Two feet away from the wall minimum. Three is best but can be a challenge with space and WAF.

- running room correction software correctly. Meaning testing 6-9 spots in small area. Right at your MLP with each point 1 foot from each other.

Actually, that's not ideal, and the pattern isn't making best use of MLP listening. The best is to test in a Christian cross shaped pattern with the MLP at the intersection, your shoulders at each horizontal end and another behind you, like on the back of the couch. Then march in front of MLP in 3 inch increments, until you run out of testing positions. I actually made a wooden shaped cross to make this easier, and it helps ward off the occasional vampire.
Thanks for the info, I agree with the fronts pointing at the edge/shoulders. But once I did the small area test area (my listening position is small and so close to the TV any way). I noticed a much better sound quality. I guess it can vary from room to room. All I can say is I used to test each actual seat and thought that was the way to do it but the side seats are far apart from the MLP. This is why I say to test it in a much smaller concentrated area. A more mathematical area like a square or rectangle.

See the reason the cross doesn't work for me is my center (straight from the TV) couches are against a wall. So the best option for me is to do 6 test patterns. With the 6 spots creating sort of like a rectangle. The reason I think it improved my sound is I no longer test AT the left couch, which is much more to the side. I think that was messing up the sound quality of my klipsch and why they sounded weird to me.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37922 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone have specific recommendations for rubber feet size, diameter, etc.? My bought-used KM4s just have spikes, and i want to change them out to rubber feet for the hardwoods.
post #37923 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp3Markel View Post
The RF-82II sound great!! I don't have a lot of knowledge in the audio field so it's hard for me to explain but the sound just sounds more dynamic. Like I was watching Avatar and you could determine that the crowd roaring was far away from you yet the person in front of the camera felt literally 10 feet away. I played a few songs with nice vocals and it sounds like they're in the room with you! These definitely cannot compare to my Onkyo setup! Now on to saving for a sub and rear speakers!
I had very similar feelings. It is hard to explain. Best I can do is clearer, fuller, and more pure. I have had a few movies where it sounded like the person was somewhere in the middle of the room. Like a "ghost". They can sound really good once you set them up properly. I've also listened to some music where the vocals are so clear that they are piercingly good. Gratz on your purchase, glad you like em.
Mp3Markel likes this.

post #37924 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

I get my actual RS-41 tonight. I can't wait to give them a full run through. I'll take a pic of them and give a fuller review after some testing.

post #37925 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
I think it is smart to play new speakers or sub in lower and different volume for a little bit before you start to play them very very loud.
Either here or on the Klipsch forum someone posted that at the recent Klipsch gathering the Klipsch engineers refuted the notion that break-in makes any difference. I'll try to find the link...

Last edited by Schwa; 08-21-2014 at 05:11 PM.
post #37926 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Either here or on the Klipsch forum someone posted that at the recent Klipsch gathering the Klipsch engineers refuted the notion that break-in makes any difference. I'll try to find the link...
I once asked Roy (Engineer at Klipsch) about this. He told me when he tests a driver, he hooks it up, puts "X" volts into it (I forget), goes to lunch or waits 30 minutes and 'considers it done'.

Think about it.... (cynic in me)

If a driver takes 30 days to break in.... think of the poor engineer who designs it. He gets it....has to let it break in for 30 days (lest they not get accurate measurements). What if he doesn't like it.... he's got to try another driver, maybe wait another 30 days for it to break in? Have mercy on him if it sucks too....cause he's got to order another driver, wait yet another 30 days for it to give accurate results....

Not very efficient way to design something
Louis Bartay likes this.
post #37927 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok guys i have heard a couple guys i know say that the new klipsch r-28f, sounds smoother and more refined than the rf-82, can anyone confirm this?
post #37928 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee View Post
I once asked Roy (Engineer at Klipsch) about this. He told me when he tests a driver, he hooks it up, puts "X" volts into it (I forget), goes to lunch or waits 30 minutes and 'considers it done'.

If a driver takes 30 days to break in.... think of the poor engineer who designs it. He gets it....has to let it break in for 30 days (lest they not get accurate measurements). What if he doesn't like it.... he's got to try another driver, maybe wait another 30 days for it to break in? Have mercy on him if it sucks too....cause he's got to order another driver, wait yet another 30 days for it to give accurate results....

I would hope that in that case, you'd get a bunch of variant prototypes up front and compare the results so that you didn't waste quite as much time.
post #37929 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Murderousone View Post
Ok guys i have heard a couple guys i know say that the new klipsch r-28f, sounds smoother and more refined than the rf-82, can anyone confirm this?
An Al tweeter vs. a Ti tweeter??? I'd say the Ti would be brighter. I could be wrong.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #37930 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
An Al tweeter vs. a Ti tweeter??? I'd say the Ti would be brighter. I could be wrong.
What's funny is the fact that I just read a review on the best buy site mention this also.....

"I auditioned the R-28F when I dropped by BB last week. I can confirm the point of the other reviewer that the new R-28F sounds smoother and pleasant to my ears than the RF-82 II, in my opinion. Despite both speakers use the same 1” compression driver; Klipsch has raised the crossover frequency of the R-28F from 1400hz of the RF-82 II to 1800hz. As a result, more of the mid frequency of the R-28F is now handled by the dual 8” woofers making it sound more balanced and smooth than the RF-82 II."

Anyway i'm gonna go down this weekend and give them a listen and report back myself.............
sikclown likes this.

Last edited by The Murderousone; 08-21-2014 at 06:38 PM.
post #37931 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Oh ok I'm sure you are right I just read it somewhere long time ago about speakers not sure brand and I had it in my mind since then. Not talking weeks just few days lower and upper volume before hit it very hard. What it is with SVS you can hit it hard from first day but it will start sound even better after couple of weeks playing or something like this?

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #37932 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

So Klipsch has a new series? I didn't even know. Is it just a new version of the "reference" line?

post #37933 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
What's funny is the fact that I just read a review on the best buy site mention this also.....

"I auditioned the R-28F when I dropped by BB last week. I can confirm the point of the other reviewer that the new R-28F sounds smoother and pleasant to my ears than the RF-82 II, in my opinion. Despite both speakers use the same 1” compression driver; Klipsch has raised the crossover frequency of the R-28F from 1400hz of the RF-82 II to 1800hz. As a result, more of the mid frequency of the R-28F is now handled by the dual 8” woofers making it sound more balanced and smooth than the RF-82 II."

Anyway i'm gonna go down this weekend and give them a listen and report back myself.............
They don't use the same 1" driver. One is ti and the other is au. Totally different. And most would say the more horn the better. Meaning the lower xo point would normally be preferred. This new line is basically the synergy speaker colored to look like a reference.
retro124 likes this.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and RB-61 II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #37934 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Oh ok I'm sure you are right I just read it somewhere long time ago about speakers not sure brand and I had it in my mind since then. Not talking weeks just few days lower and upper volume before hit it very hard. What it is with SVS you can hit it hard from first day but it will start sound even better after couple of weeks playing or something like this?
Its a new synergy line they are calling reference .

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and RB-61 II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #37935 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
So Klipsch has a new series? I didn't even know. Is it just a new version of the "reference" line?
Yes check Klipsch web , no more Synergy line now is new reference line and old reference line is now Reference II. Probably more to come soon will see maybe end of the year.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #37936 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
What it is with SVS you can hit it hard from first day but it will start sound even better after couple of weeks playing or something like this?
It's very likely that the subwoofer's sound isn't changing but that your ears are becoming more attuned to the sound of the subwoofer.
Louis Bartay likes this.
post #37937 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hey guys I have 4x chorus II's and a center with velondyne sub... I'm thinking about getting some of those upward firing drivers for Atmos... anyone else thinking about doing the same? My one concern is matching the Chorus II's to something like the onkyo upward firing speakers... cuz those Chorus II's are soooo damn loud.
post #37938 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post
They don't use the same 1" driver. One is ti and the other is au. Totally different. And most would say the more horn the better. Meaning the lower xo point would normally be preferred. This new line is basically the synergy speaker colored to look like a reference.

Alex L a klipsch representitive from the klipsch forums said this:

"For those wondering, here are the differences between Icon and this new line of Reference.
All new Reference Linear Travel Suspension tweeter design for smoother, more powerful high frequencies.
All new mechanical woofer design with seamless dustcap for minimized mid frequency diffraction and distortion.
All new Spun Copper IMG woofer cone is incredibly rigid, with new design adding structural integrity for minimal cone break up at high excursion levels. This makes for even cleaner, more accurate low frequency reproduction.
All new Brushed Polymer Veneer finish is exceptionally durable with a much more contemporary aesthetic over the previous wood grain vinyl of the Icon series."

Now whether this is true or not, who know's but as a former owner of the synergy F3, i will know for sure if it's a big performance increase(smoother refined sound or not). I am also very familiar with the RF-82's. There seems to be some people(that have not heard them) saying there's no difference but colored woofers and there seems to be some people (that have heard them) saying it's a big difference sound quality wise......... that said, I will be solving this mystery saturday.
post #37939 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Alex L a klipsch representitive from the klipsch forums said this:

"For those wondering, here are the differences between Icon and this new line of Reference.
All new Reference Linear Travel Suspension tweeter design for smoother, more powerful high frequencies.
All new mechanical woofer design with seamless dustcap for minimized mid frequency diffraction and distortion.
All new Spun Copper IMG woofer cone is incredibly rigid, with new design adding structural integrity for minimal cone break up at high excursion levels. This makes for even cleaner, more accurate low frequency reproduction.
All new Brushed Polymer Veneer finish is exceptionally durable with a much more contemporary aesthetic over the previous wood grain vinyl of the Icon series."

Now whether this is true or not, who know's but as a former owner of the synergy F3, i will know for sure if it's a big performance increase(smoother refined sound or not). I am also very familiar with the RF-82's. There seems to be some people(that have not heard them) saying there's no difference but colored woofers and there seems to be some people (that have heard them) saying it's a big difference sound quality wise......... that said, I will be solving this mystery saturday.
I'm also former owner of F-3 and whole Synergy set. Now I'm owner od Reference II set and it is a nice step up for sure no question about it. Center is biggest step up follow with surrounds and towers. F-3 are great towers but RF-82II are as well and I have feeling they just play cleaner, whole system just sounds better.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #37940 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee View Post

Thanks for posting this Coytee--It confirms what I posted about what Jim Hunter told us and Trey Cannon confirmed (posted this again in the last day or two) yet folks want to keep whatever beliefs they have or relied on the internet--crazy man, crazy.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 08-21-2014 at 08:59 PM. Reason: deleted one word
post #37941 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
Why?

Yah'maha?

Enjoy!
For the record and given the comment prior to yours understand the attempt at humor--Good luck, but my guess it's going to fall short in this crowd...That said and knowing it's OT nature--I wanted to post that Coytee's attempt on a previous post would be less opportune in an Endangered Animal thread in regard to "horn loaded " sexual prowess but I digress...{Edit: Sorry B... }

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 08-21-2014 at 08:46 PM.
post #37942 of 38809 Old 08-21-2014, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes check Klipsch web , no more Synergy line now is new reference line and old reference line is now Reference II. Probably more to come soon will see maybe end of the year.
Ah ok so this is a new "lower" model? I'm interested when they release newer or better reference series. Reading the last few posts, this doesn't seem to be it. Thank you.

post #37943 of 38809 Old 08-22-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 121
The Reference I speakers sound good/decent for the price you pay, but to say that they are superior in any shape or fashion to Reference II is off the reservation. However, if that's your budget, you're getting good gear for the price. No question.
post #37944 of 38809 Old 08-22-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried the KF-26's (in place of my Synergy III B-2's) for a month paired with my Synergy III C-1, S-2's and put the B-2's that were my FR and FL in the back for the 6th and 7th channel. SVS 20-39 PCI-sub. I took them back. Did they create a little more fill? Yes, but in my room (11'X13') It wasn't worth the $ I got them for in my opinion. Also a week after I got them the new Reference line you all are talking about came out. They dont sound much different in the store than the Icons so I figure wait until Black Friday and see what kind of deals come out and try them in my room.
post #37945 of 38809 Old 08-22-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
The Reference I speakers sound good/decent for the price you pay, but to say that they are superior in any shape or fashion to Reference II is off the reservation. However, if that's your budget, you're getting good gear for the price. No question.
"Off the reservation," I love it!

For the record and clarification, I didn't say "superior," but I would rather have original RF-7s,RC-7s, RB-75s ( and do think they are superior to) than any lower end models of the current line and in fact after watching them dissect the RF-7IIs on a thread over at the Klipsch Forum felt the "Upgrade" was to the external features (feet and grill). Insofar as SQ goes, at some point I will go out and listen to them and may even bring a pair home to try but I'm not convinced by what I've read of other people's opinions...That said, when the RF-7IIs came out I helped sell quite a few on line and my posts/others responses can verify that.

{EDIT Note: I see that Claw may have been responding to a post other than mine.}

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 08-22-2014 at 11:28 AM.
post #37946 of 38809 Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
"Off the reservation," I love it!

For the record and clarification, I didn't say "superior," but I would rather have original RF-7s,RC-7s, RB-75s ( and do think they are superior to) than any lower end models of the current line and in fact after watching them dissect the RF-7IIs on a thread over at the Klipsch Forum felt the "Upgrade" was to the external features (feet and grill). Insofar as SQ goes, at some point I will go out and listen to them and may even bring a pair home to try but I'm not convinced by what I've read of other people's opinions...That said, when the RF-7IIs came out I helped sell quite a few on line and my posts/others responses can verify that.

{EDIT Note: I see that Claw may have been responding to a post other than mine.}

No, I was responding to our 'two post' boy genius. That said, the used market can offer all sorts of great deals, but I like to keep my comparisons apples and apples and compare the new stuff to other new stuff at full retail. Call it consistency. I have a 7.2 Reference II set up that at full retail I could have bought 2 used Klipschorns and 5 used Heresies. Would it sound better, maybe, but there's a risk, and it's a lot of money.
post #37947 of 38809 Old 08-22-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Off topic but I had to share this video it should give your Klipsch Surround system a work out......... I hope the Bluray is HD 7.1 .......after you watch "Resonant Chamber" video check out "Starship Groove". If anyne has this Bluray or DVD post up or PM me please.

EDIT

I thought just the link to the video would be displayed. Hope I have not broken a rule.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330 DH110
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100 PL-518X DL103R
post #37948 of 38809 Old 08-22-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
Off topic but I had to share this video it should give your Klipsch Surround system a work out......... I hope the Bluray is HD 7.1 .......after you watch "Resonant Chamber" video check out "Starship Groove". If anyne has this Bluray or DVD post up or PM me please. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toXN...7974A68AC62B47

EDIT

I thought just the link to the video would be displayed. Hope I have not broken a rule.
You haven't broken any rules that I know about--Just in case let me say we saw/heard the Animusic 1 video at a Klipsch gathering (either in Hope or Indy--can't remember) and I thought it was so cool I bought several from the Animusic website and gave them away as Christmas presents one year...Fwiw, I have it and Animusic 2 on DVD and keep them at work to show at parties.
post #37949 of 38809 Old 08-22-2014, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Fry's has these playing some times on small TVs. Hardly a "demo". Someone there must like the animation.

I noticed they mention selling DVDs. Is that all? They don't sell BluRay with Dolby True HD or anything like that? What's the best way to listen to these videos?

post #37950 of 38809 Old 08-22-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
Hey guys I have 4x chorus II's and a center with velondyne sub... I'm thinking about getting some of those upward firing drivers for Atmos... anyone else thinking about doing the same? My one concern is matching the Chorus II's to something like the onkyo upward firing speakers... cuz those Chorus II's are soooo damn loud.
I've only seen pics of those upward firing Atmos speakers and you may have a point about the difference in Sensitivity-Then again, may not but I haven't researched it that far. Otoh, I posed a guess here that Klipsch would offer a similar model that may be better timber matched to what you have...Rumor has it after the middle of next month and the Insiders CEDIA convention in Denver where Dolby is supposed to officially announce their Atmos technology, other speaker companies will follow suite to capitalize on that market--I can't imagine Klipsch not being one of them, but I don't know--Just speculation.
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page