post #37951 of 40233 Old 08-22-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
Fry's has these playing some times on small TVs. Hardly a "demo". Someone there must like the animation.

I noticed they mention selling DVDs. Is that all? They don't sell BluRay with Dolby True HD or anything like that? What's the best way to listen to these videos?
I ordered my DVDs straight from the website but it's been awhile...If I remember correctly it was some University's graduate project that used Computer animation along with computer sound and no musical instruments were involved--Totally computer generated.
Louis Bartay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37952 of 40233 Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 236
I had the F30 and RF82ii and they are both good, and both sound similar. RF82ii does sound better though. The R28f has a different horn, the F30 and RF82ii have 90×60 horn, R28f has 90×90.
post #37953 of 40233 Old 08-22-2014, 09:49 PM

^^ that was supposed to be a response to another post, figuring out new format
post #37954 of 40233 Old 08-22-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Murderousone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
An Al tweeter vs. a Ti tweeter??? I'd say the Ti would be brighter. I could be wrong.
What's funny is the fact that I just read a review on the best buy site mention this also.....

"I auditioned the R-28F when I dropped by BB last week. I can confirm the point of the other reviewer that the new R-28F sounds smoother and pleasant to my ears than the RF-82 II, in my opinion. Despite both speakers use the same 1” compression driver; Klipsch has raised the crossover frequency of the R-28F from 1400hz of the RF-82 II to 1800hz. As a result, more of the mid frequency of the R-28F is now handled by the dual 8” woofers making it sound more balanced and smooth than the RF-82 II."

Anyway i'm gonna go down this weekend and give them a listen and report back myself.............
This one, sorry guys
post #37955 of 40233 Old 08-22-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
Hey guys I have 4x chorus II's and a center with velondyne sub... I'm thinking about getting some of those upward firing drivers for Atmos... anyone else thinking about doing the same? My one concern is matching the Chorus II's to something like the onkyo upward firing speakers... cuz those Chorus II's are soooo damn loud.
I've only seen pics of those upward firing Atmos speakers and you may have a point about the difference in Sensitivity-Then again, may not but I haven't researched it that far. Otoh, I posed a guess here that Klipsch would offer a similar model that may be better timber matched to what you have...Rumor has it after the middle of next month and the Insiders CEDIA convention in Denver where Dolby is supposed to officially announce their Atmos technology, other speaker companies will follow suite to capitalize on that market--I can't imagine Klipsch not being one of them, but I don't know--Just speculation.
Dont know about you guys but I have no interest in atmos for now. If I had a dedicated room and could have rb61ii or similar in the roof then MAYBE. I sure wouldnt want upward firing speakers sending reflected sound who knows where, especially with our horns which we try to cut down on reflections. I would rather spend more money on an excellent 5 channel setup than a mis-matched sub par 9-11 and beyond setup. Just mho of course.
B 26354 likes this.
post #37956 of 40233 Old 08-22-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiey60 View Post
Dont know about you guys but I have no interest in atmos for now. If I had a dedicated room and could have rb61ii or similar in the roof then MAYBE. I sure wouldnt want upward firing speakers sending reflected sound who knows where, especially with our horns which we try to cut down on reflections. I would rather spend more money on an excellent 5 channel setup than a mis-matched sub par 9-11 and beyond setup. Just mho of course.
You may be correct but everyone that's heard it was surprised at how well those speakers worked--Then again, it could be a fad and I am waiting to hold judgement until something is released and folks start reporting on it...After all, multichannel is an improvement over two channel (regardless if we only have "2 ears") and 5.1 material IS better being matrixed into "7.1" using rear speakers in rooms that can accommodate them (just like in a theater).

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 08-22-2014 at 10:23 PM.
post #37957 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiey60 View Post
Quote:
You may be correct but everyone that's heard it was surprised at how well those speakers worked--Then again, it could be a fad and I am waiting to hold judgement until something is released and folks start reporting on it...After all, multichannel is an improvement over two channel (regardless if we only have "2 ears") and 5.1 material IS better being matrixed into "7.1" using rear speakers in rooms that can accommodate them (just like in a theater).
Yes definitely people have been giving good impressions of the upward firing Atmos which is why I'm interested. I'll probably get it if people who buy in Sep/oct/nov have good experiences... I can be patient as there's only 4 titles I'd want to get that are Atmos mixed currently. I might wait until HDR TV's come out because I'd also want to make sure that the Atmos content is graded for HDR so I don't have to repurchase the content (if I can afford it I'll get an HDR TV) hopefully content will be released with both? :/ I see that Star Trek into darkness was given the HDR treatment and will see the Atmos mix

I actually don't know much about the chorus II's horns... do they disperse the sound more? My room is small but I get a pretty good sound in here... or at least far better than what I used to have (Yamaha home theater in a box), my biggest issue is with bass right now... using a 15" velondyne.
post #37958 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I currently have the Klipsch Icon V set of speakers (VF36/VC25/VS14). What would be considered a significant upgrade within the Klipsch speaker family? In Canada Futureshop sells the RF800/RC500/RS400, but I'm unsure which 'real' Klipsch models they're equivalent to.
post #37959 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I currently have the Klipsch Icon V set of speakers (VF36/VC25/VS14). What would be considered a significant upgrade within the Klipsch speaker family? In Canada Futureshop sells the RF800/RC500/RS400, but I'm unsure which 'real' Klipsch models they're equivalent to.
RF800 = RF82, Rc500 = RC52, and RS400 = RS42. All should be a pretty good upgrade from your Icon's. The center will be the real big jump up, in my opinion.
post #37960 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprice18af View Post
RF800 = RF82, Rc500 = RC52, and RS400 = RS42. All should be a pretty good upgrade from your Icon's. The center will be the real big jump up, in my opinion.

Good advice on being a upgrade from Icons and yes to a Bigger center speaker. If you look for used a RC-62 center for a lot less then retail of 52.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330 DH110
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100 PL-518X DL103R
post #37961 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Got a chance to check out the R28F's today, and I must say i'm impressed. Brought some sade and lenny kravitz for listening evalution. They are a definite improvment over my old F3's. Overall they exhibited excellent imaging, even cleaner highs and the bass was very punchy and dynamic. They just seemed to be much smoother and less fatiguing then my old F3's. Considering what i heard today, I think they can go head to head with the Rf-82's if not best them..............
post #37962 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
Yes definitely people have been giving good impressions of the upward firing Atmos which is why I'm interested. I'll probably get it if people who buy in Sep/oct/nov have good experiences... I can be patient as there's only 4 titles I'd want to get that are Atmos mixed currently. I might wait until HDR TV's come out because I'd also want to make sure that the Atmos content is graded for HDR so I don't have to repurchase the content (if I can afford it I'll get an HDR TV) hopefully content will be released with both? :/ I see that Star Trek into darkness was given the HDR treatment and will see the Atmos mix

I actually don't know much about the chorus II's horns... do they disperse the sound more? My room is small but I get a pretty good sound in here... or at least far better than what I used to have (Yamaha home theater in a box), my biggest issue is with bass right now... using a 15" velondyne.
I have no experience hearing the Chorus II speaker, but I imagine they sound really good being a 3-way design: http://www.klipsch.com/chorus-ii-flo...peaker/details and they probably have a lot of detail in a small room both horns having a 90 x 40 dispersion pattern...They also have a high sensitivity rating of 101 dB/1 meter and more-than-likely are "8 Ohm speakers" {Note: I don't know that for sure having not seen the Frequency Response Chart} so it really shouldn't take much to drive them quite loud.

Fwiw, I stopped reading the Atmos threads for a while because they were getting long with not much more information coming out, but when I did there hadn't been any actual ATMOS titles announced (as of a couple of days ago...I am not sure what issues you are having with bass but those Chorus IIs being crossed over at 60 Hz (possibly 80 Hz) and the lower end sent to a Velodyne 15" sub should sound quite nice indeed.

Insofar as addressing your bass "problem" if you give more details on the model # of your sub and what ill effects you are experiencing here perhaps someone could give you ideas---I've also heard that Bob Crites does makeovers of some of the older speakers and his screen name over on the Klipsch Forum is "BEC." Then again if your speakers sound great I wouldn't change a thing.
post #37963 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 551
Quote:
Got a chance to check out the R28F's today, and I must say i'm impressed. Brought some sade and lenny kravitz for listening evalution. They are a definite improvment over my old F3's. Overall they exhibited excellent imaging, even cleaner highs and the bass was very punchy and dynamic. They just seemed to be much smoother and less fatiguing then my old F3's. Considering what i heard today, I think they can go head to head with the Rf-82's if not best them..............
I also heard them the other day and I have to disagree. IMO they don't sound much different than the Icons. I made a post the other day about them but it got deleted for some unknown reason?
Reference_head likes this.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #37964 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
I also heard them the other day and I have to disagree. IMO they don't sound much different than the Icons. I made a post the other day about them but it got deleted for some unknown reason?
To each it's own. They for sure sounded much more refined and smoother than my old F3's. I got a chance to listen to them for 25 minutes in their studio room, with no other noise or customers interupting, closed off, most best buy's have them lined up in a isle on a shelve in a +40000 store. It was hooked up to yamaha gear. Perhaps you can tell us a little more about your listen evaluation, such as equipment, and was it isolated? Which music?

Last edited by The Murderousone; 08-23-2014 at 03:34 PM.
post #37965 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Honestly, I had a post deleted that had some really good information--I didn't quote the OP that some were questioning because I know the rules and kept my thoughts on-topic as not to offend--then again, they may have hit to close to home...
post #37966 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
To each it's own. I got a chance to listen to them for 25 minutes in their studio room, with no other noise or customers interupting, closed off, most best buy's have them lined up in a isle on a shelve in a +40000 store. It was hooked up to yamaha gear. Perhaps you can tell us a little more about your listen evaluation, such as equipment, and was it isolated? Which music?
No it wasn't isolated and I listened for prolly 5 minutes. I'm sure they would sound better in a isolated room. I still thought they sounded cheap regardless even the veneer looked and felt cheezy IMO.

Denon 4520
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #37967 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Honestly, I had a post deleted that had some really good information--I didn't quote the OP that some were questioning because I know the rules and kept my thoughts on-topic as not to offend--then again, they may have hit to close to home...
All I said was pooper and it got deleted? I've said much worse in the past. Someones cracking the whip around here

Denon 4520
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #37968 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
No it wasn't isolated and I listened for prolly 5 minutes. I'm sure they would sound better in a isolated room. I still thought they sounded cheap regardless even the veneer looked and felt cheezy IMO.
Well I don't want to discredit you man, but 5 minutes in a open isle, in a +40000 store...... i mean to be honest I'm not sure what type of solid opinion or impression can be formed in that situation. Again I mean no disrespect cchunter.
post #37969 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
.... Considering what i heard today, I think they can go head to head with the Rf-82's if not best them..............
Just curious, how were you comparing these 2 speakers? Iow, same room, power source and level-matched? I see that cc has given a differing opinion so I could ask the same questions, but truthfully there are a lot of variables when comparing speakers and if not in the same room, same AVR, same setting and level-matched with an SPL meter, a lot of things can skew perceptions--including if you heard them on different days, your mood.

For the record, I am not questioning ANYONE's buying decision, just throwing some things out there for food for thought...
post #37970 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All I said was pooper and it got deleted? I've said much worse in the past. Someones cracking the whip around here
Pooper!!!!! No ****--All I expressed was akin to watch out for the marketing and opinion onslaught.
post #37971 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Just curious, how were you comparing these 2 speakers? Iow, same room, power source and level-matched? I see that cc has given a differing opinion so I could ask the same questions, but truthfully there are a lot of variables when comparing speakers and if not in the same room, same AVR, same setting and level-matched with an SPL meter, a lot of things can skew perceptions--including if you heard them on different days, your mood.

For the record, I am not questioning ANYONE's buying decision, just throwing some things out there for food for thought...
It's been a little while since i heard the 82's but i remembered them being better sounding than my older f3's, more refined, smoother etc. So that's why i said possibly as i was not able to do a direct comparison with them, but based on what i remember hearing they definitely seemed competitive with the rf-82's based on memory..........
post #37972 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I don't want to discredit you man, but 5 minutes in a open isle, in a +40000 store...... i mean to be honest I'm not sure what type of solid opinion or impression can be formed in that situation. Again I mean no disrespect cchunter.
No problem. You had a much better demo than me by far. I'm sure they would sound better isolated and your preference of music. I would take my opinion like a grain of salt.

Denon 4520
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #37973 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
No problem. You had a much better demo than me by far. I'm sure they would sound better isolated and your preference of music. I would take my opinion like a grain of salt.
So you have a feeling like your older RF-62II sound better then new RF-28F?

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #37974 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
So you have a feeling like your older RF-62II sound better then new RF-28F?
Yes I like the RF62II better

Denon 4520
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #37975 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Not to get bogged down in the weeds but my guess is for those that already own an older model of the comparable speakers, at best it would be a lateral move...I suggest anyone having the upgrade urge consider going from speakers with a 1" compression driver and similar LF drivers check out the upperend models which have better components (including/especially larger compression drivers mated to larger horns....

Then again, it your money and I'm just a dude expressing an opinion on the internet.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 08-23-2014 at 05:25 PM.
post #37976 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not to get bogged down in the weeds but my guess is for those that already own an older model of the comparable speakers, at best it would be a lateral move...I suggest anyone having the upgrade urge consider going from speakers with a 1" compression driver and similar LF drivers check out the upperend models which have better components (including/especially larger compression drivers mated to larger horns....

Then again, it your money and I'm just a dude expressing an opinion on the internet.
I agree and the upper end models such as the RF7's are a different animal all together.
Louis Bartay likes this.

Denon 4520
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #37977 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 143
If I had just arrived and didn't already have RF II's I'd certainly look a bit more into their F line. There is no risk free no shipping in home trail so you really have to take your time to make the right decision.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
post #37978 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
If I had just arrived and didn't already have RF II's I'd certainly look a bit more into their F line. There is no risk free no shipping in home trail so you really have to take your time to make the right decision.
You probably will then you will think about how RF-II sounds like if you never had them before and I even don't want to start talking about new RF-II lines what maybe will come out soon. It is never ending story

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-82II's , RC-62II , RS-52II's , RB-81II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Emotiva XPA-3
Sony KDF-60XS955
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #37979 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I have no experience hearing the Chorus II speaker, but I imagine they sound really good being a 3-way design: http://www.klipsch.com/chorus-ii-flo...peaker/details and they probably have a lot of detail in a small room both horns having a 90 x 40 dispersion pattern...They also have a high sensitivity rating of 101 dB/1 meter and more-than-likely are "8 Ohm speakers" {Note: I don't know that for sure having not seen the Frequency Response Chart} so it really shouldn't take much to drive them quite loud.

Fwiw, I stopped reading the Atmos threads for a while because they were getting long with not much more information coming out, but when I did there hadn't been any actual ATMOS titles announced (as of a couple of days ago...I am not sure what issues you are having with bass but those Chorus IIs being crossed over at 60 Hz (possibly 80 Hz) and the lower end sent to a Velodyne 15" sub should sound quite nice indeed.

Insofar as addressing your bass "problem" if you give more details on the model # of your sub and what ill effects you are experiencing here perhaps someone could give you ideas---I've also heard that Bob Crites does makeovers of some of the older speakers and his screen name over on the Klipsch Forum is "BEC." Then again if your speakers sound great I wouldn't change a thing.
I'll get back to you about the Velodyne model, mostly I get standing waves. It does sound amazing at times for sure. I'm not sure how the crossover works... is it as simple as flipping the switch on the back or do I have to wire the crossovers? I'm a bit new to this
post #37980 of 40233 Old 08-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprice18af View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
Good advice on being a upgrade from Icons and yes to a Bigger center speaker. If you look for used a RC-62 center for a lot less then retail of 52.
Thanks, guys, for the info and advice. I don't have any immediate plans to upgrade, but I'll definitely keep this in mind.
Reply Speakers

Tags
belle , Klipsch , Klipsch Audio , klipsch belle , Klipsch Cornwall Iii , Klipsch Kw 120 Thx Subwoofer , Klipsch La Scala , Klipsch Lascala Ii Walnut , Klipsch Rc 62 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rc 64 Ii Reference Series Center Channel Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 5 , Klipsch Rf 52 Ii Reference Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rf 62 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Klipsch Rf 7 Ii Reference Series Ii Flagship Floorstanding Speaker , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Black , Klipsch Rf 82 Ii Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeaker Cherry , Klipsch Rs 62 Ii Reference Series Wide Dispersion Surround Speaker Black Each , Klipsch Rsw 10d Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 10d Silver , Klipsch S 1 Synergy Surround Speaker Pair Black , Klipsch Sub 12 , Velodyne Dls5000rb 15 Inch 600 Watt Dls Series Subwoofer With Remote Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page